[RULE] Brawl Stage: Targets

Past events.

How would you want targeting limitations implemented?

Not at all
54%
A (can't target duelist 2 in row)
8%
B (can't target duelist successfully attacked in next round)
38%
C (first person to attack can't target duelist in next round)
No votes

Total votes: 13
Random McChanse
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

[RULE] Brawl Stage: Targets

Post by Random McChanse »

One of the big problems with any brawl is that the higher-skilled duelists usually get targeted en masse by the others in order to get them out of the running. With the Tour, the fact that certain duelists are marked out by the jersey they wear and teams are involved (though to as minimum an extent as possible) just expounds this problem. It was for this reason that the fancy defense rule was introduced, to give the higher-skilled duelists more of a fighting chance when being beset upon by a horde of other duelists.

Well, some think that this isn't enough (and the defense rule will have it's own rule change poll for that), and are suggesting that we limit who we can target in a given round:

A) No duelist is allowed to target the same duelist with his/her primary move two rounds in a row.

I have a couple variations of this rule off the top of my head, in case anyone thinks A is a bit too strict.

B) If a duelist has successfully attacked an opponent with his/her primary move, he/she is not allowed to target that opponent in the next round.

C) The first duelist to attack a particular duelist with his/her primary move may not target that particular duelist in the next round, regardless of the success or failure of the attack.

I won't be doing pros and cons for this, as there are multiple variations, and I think they're fairly self-explanatory.

Vote, peoples! :D
Don't underestimate me, for when I'm working I'm super shiny and sit on a post.

And I walk on ceilings, so try to mess with that, fool.
Karen Wilder
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Knight Templar

Post by Karen Wilder »

I voted B... but I think more of "Can't target the same dueler 3 times in a row" is more balanced.

Also, the rule should only apply when there are more than 4 duelers in the ring. After all... though the odds are against it, it's possible for 2 or even 3 duelers left in the ring to be on the same team. :lol:
Cory
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The IronMan

Post by Cory »

I voted-- Not at all.

A brawl is exactly that; a brawl. Target who you want, when you want however many times you want. So what if you get tag-teamed. That's what Teams do such events for TdR. If I want to single out duelist D (over A, B, C, E.. etc). Then that should be my perogative.

I do have to say this. By isolating team members that don't have as many participants with teams that do is a bit unfair.

For instance, the previous Fist Brawl. There were ten members. 3 Fearless (Amal, Tera, Wyheree), 3 Crush Bob (Matt, Kheldar, Koy), 2 Cobra (Vince, Bran) 2 GnomeCorp (Cassius, Cory). In Ring 1: 2 Fearless, 1 Crush Bob, 1 Cobra, 1 GnomeCorp. In Ring 2: 2 Crush Bob, 1 Cobra, 1 GnomeCorp, 1 Fearless.

In doing so you put those without team members at a severe disadvantage. Put us all in one ring, like the Brawl is supposed to be and let the beat down begin.

Understandably, this may get confusing. But I'm sure there have been MegaBrawls where there are just as many, if not more participants. I also witnessed the first ever DoM MegaCast where there was about the same number of duelers and it went off without much (if any) problems. Brigath was very organized with his officiating. If need be have a second, non-participating party on standby to help the caller with the math, targets and appropriate points.

(Edit) Don't simply vote and be quiet! If you voted, let us know why you voted for such! I see 7 votes and only 2 reasons.
Amaltea
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Amaltea »

I voted for none at all, even though I hate it when I'm targetted because let's face it, I'm lucky if I get a punch in!! :D

Seriously, I don't know but it's a brawl, there shouldn't be a restriction on who you attack or not.
Kheldar
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Kheldar »

I voted not to change the rules as well. We (as in the DoF staff) have gotten suggestions in the past about using a rule like this from people who were knocked out of Brawls early. MegaBrawl winners have pretty much always been at least partially due to their abillity to utilize allies ever since Spiffy ran the first one. There really isn't a way around it, and the format of the tour just gives these alliances names and predefined members.

I was going to mention the targeting suggestion when we first talked about how to call the brawl. I never liked it, it seems quite contradictory to the spirit of the event. It's not all that fun getting leveled every round.. I know. But especially in this format where it's much easier to identify who exactly is targeting you round after round, it's easier to work around. I think Cory's suggestion was dead on. Having more people in the ring to start limits the effectiveness of a small group of fighters concentrating on a single fighter exclusively.

Even having been effectively, though not literally, eliminated by this kind of teaming up I still think that the event is better off left as is.
Karen Wilder
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Knight Templar

Post by Karen Wilder »

I just thought of a great idea... But I have to admit that it might cause extra headaches for the caller of a Brawl.

Allow for someone to use their "attack" maneuver to "defend" someone else instead.

For example in a Swords brawl, you have Karen, Matt, Anubis, Gnort, Lydia & Dinah in a ring.

Karen chooses to attack Anubis with a thrust and "defend" with a low cut.
Matt chooes to attack Karen with a slash and "defend" with a stop hit.
Anubis chooses to attack Karen with a thrust and "defend" with a high cut.
G'nort choses to attack Matt with a circular parry and "defend" with a lateral parry.
Lydia choses to attack Karen with a high cut and "defend" with a low cut.
Dinah choses to "attack" by defending Karen with a lateral parry and "defend" with a circular parry.

Scoring would go as follows:
Karen and Anubis both score with thrusts. Matt gets low cut by Karen for trying to slash. G'nort gets nothing for parrying Matt's stop hit, and Lydia's attack on the defenceless Karen is stopped by Dinah's timely parry.

It's a risky strategy, since you can't be sure your teammate will be attacked multiple times... but it incorporates both teamwork and the chaotic nature of a brawl at the same time.

Return to “Tour Archives 2006”