Aftermath and a New Year

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

The holidays were immienant and the shops in RhyDin were decorated for the pening festivities.

Azjah sat down in a comfortable chair in the balcony of Tea’s N Tomes and had just opened the book when the bell on the door of the shop jangled. She glanced over the railing to see Rena stepping into the shop, and shooting the bell a quick glare before she moved to the counter and spoke to the woman behind it. As she turned around she spotted Azjah and nodded before paying the clerk for her slice of cake and coffee.

Azjah greeted her and she picked up her purchase and headed for the Marchioness’’ table.

Rena had been out of the city for some time, and this was the first opportunity the two had had to sit and chat. “Welcome back,” Azjah told her as she took the seat opposite her.

They exchanged pleasantries where Azjah said she was ‘adequate’ before Rena said that she thought perhaps she had come back too soon.

Azjah kicked off the stilettos and curled up in the overstuffed chair, “What makes you think you came back too soon?”

She shrugged, “the holidays are a couple of reasons, that’s all I’m seeing, so I’m feeling out of sorts again.”

“Holidays, they can be really good, and they can cause deep depression. So much depends on where a person is in their life at the time.” Azjah gave a small, dismissive wave of her free hand, “There is nothing going on to make my life either good nor bad, so adequate seems the appropriate term.”

“I guess I’m in the depression end,” she said rather quietly before she sipped her drink with a nod at Azjah’s explanation, “I know we weren’t the best of friends, but I always envied you.”

Azjah smiled a bit, “well, perhaps we can find a way to lift your spirits up some.”

Rena gave a slight chuckle, “many have tried, and I think I’m going to be okay, but then I go places and see things and I fall right back into the gloom and doom mode. Folks aren’t going to want to hang around me much longer.” She broke off a piece of her cake and silently chewed on the chocolate a moment.

“We all have bad times Rena,” It was something Azjah knew well, and the holidays were indeed no treat with Klinton still missing, and she wondered why on earth Rena would envy anything about her..

The door bell jangled again, and in walked Lord Momus just as Rena added that her malaise had been going on for too long. Tass altered his course to join them in the balcony.

Azjah took a sip of the cranberry tea and regarded Rena, “You just need something to focus on Rena.” Then as Lord Momus arrived, she smiled up at him, “It has been a long time Lord Momus, how have you been?”

Rena nodded, ‘that’s the problem, I can’t seem to stay focused on one thing for any length of time.”

Tass smiled, “evening, hun, I’ve been, and yourself?” He leaned down and stole a kiss from Rena, then took one from Azjah as well before being seated with them, although he said he only had a few moments to tarry. “I hope I am not intruding on anything?”

Azjah and Rena both shook their heads, “Not at all Lord Momus, we had just sat down ourselves.” She studied him a moment, remembering having run into Lady Kyndra, who had expressed concern about whether or not his offer to her remained, “Have you seen Lady Kyndra yet Lord Momus? She was concerned that you may have changed your mind about building a home in your islands.”

He chuckled as he said he’d seen her, and that of course his offer still stood should the Marchioness see her before he did.

The three of them chatted for some time, catching up on mutual acquaintances. Rena touched on the topic of Gabriel’s delay on the flight to Lacerta, and Azjah felt her fury rise instantly, “He has not yet explained.”

Rena nodded, as Azjah told her that Dominik seemed to be playing referee. “Trying as in not succeeding, or keeping the two of you from doing bodily harm to each other?”

Azjah chuckled at that, “short of separating his head from his body, I can’t do a lot of damage to him.” She gave her a wry smile, “And I confess, I’ve contemplated it this week. Whatever he’s up to, he’s being uncharacteristically elusive.”

She gave a short laugh, “but isn’t Lucien the same way? Isn’t that part of who they are?”

Azjah chuckled, “Lucien has his own life now. I do not see much of him.” As Rena sipped her tea, Azjah made a decision that could prove to be deadly. “What would you think about coming with us to Lacerta?”

Rena gave her a surprised glance, “how long would you be gone?”

Azjah shrugged, “well, it’s difficult to say because we could become cut off by the Cepheans.” And that was truly a risk, but one that Azjah knew would only be a temporary set back, if it happened at all.

They discussed when they would leave, and the job Azjah had in mind for Rena as a means of taking her mind off of the holidays and the setbacks she’d suffered recently. At length, Rena decided that it sounded like fun and agreed to join the next flight, and that meant she would have to spend several days in space with no one but Azjah, Gabriel and Dominik for company.

Azjah told her a little about the station, and where it was located, so sight seeing on Lacerta wasn’t going to be much for fun unless she liked frigid arctic weather.

They came to an agreement on when and where departure was planned, and Azjah was pleased to have company besides the Carpathian and the Dragonseeker.

The next evening Azjah and Gabriel arrived in the Arena. Rena was there and said she was packed and ready for departure the next morning. She was clearly a little nervous, but she had two bags ready to go, and her last minute details put in order.

Gabriel moved silently away from the Marchioness toward Rena, who greeted him. “Good evening Ms. Cronin. Do you have any preferences in food for the trip?”

She winced slightly, “You mind calling me Rena? And I’m not too fond of sea food.”

He gave her a quick incline of his head, “No seafood. Do you have a weapons preference?”

She quirked a brow, “weapon? I’ve used a sword and staff, but somehow I don’t think you are referring to those kind, are you?”

He spoke in his usual black velvet voice, “It is rather difficult to fend off a Cephean with either of those.’

It had been quite some time since Rena had used a firearm, and Gabriel informed her that they could remedy that on the ship, which seemed to surprise Rena, so he explained that laser weapons could be fired as long as they were set to stun and used in a specially prepared space onboard. She nodded, saying that she would appreciate it, and that she hoped she would not be a bother on the trip.

Gabriel gave her a slight bow, “Consider it arranged. You are no bother. If you require anything, please let me know.” With that, he moved silently back to stand near the wall behind the Marchioness.

At the end of the duel that Azjah was engaged in with Rand, the pair said their good nights and disappeared into the night.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The winter solstice had passed, and the new year was upon RhyDin.

Azjah walked through the portal and landed on the sand to find Topaz already there as she headed for her chaise, laying her book on Process Geomorphology on the foot of the chaise. “Good evening Topaz, how are you tonight?”

She smiled up at her, “A happy new year to you Azjah. I’m well, how about yourself?”

Rena followed shortly there after, and Liena bubbled right in as well.

Azjah chuckled at the extremely cheerful Liena, who seemed puzzled by her comment to her. Then she blushed twin pink spots on her cheeks, “ummm, oh, right, I am!”

Rena took a seat near Topaz as she was chuckling to herself and when asked by Topaz what was so amusing, she told her that she knew it was a day late, but that she was trying to decide whether or not to make a New Year’s resolution.

Topaz still didn’t follow why that was so amusing, but about then Lucien announced his arrival by floating white petals of sweet scented roses to fall all around Topaz. She smiled and giggled as she tried to catch a few of the petals as they floated around her on an unseen breeze. Lucien then faded into the visible spectrum, where upon Topaz gave him a hug and rained the handful of petals over his head that she had managed to capture earlier.

Xanth strode onto the Isle as well, red lights burning beneath his hood as he stepped toward the dueling arenas, as always seeking magical combat.

Azjah wished him a happy new year, and Xanth paused, “New Year, you say? I’ve lost count myself. Hmm.” He watched the rings as Azjah chuckled and informed him that by the Rhydinian calendar, it was truly New Year. He mused a moment before saying, “Well, let us hope this new year brings new discoveries and entertainment then.”

Azjah quirked a brow at him, ‘New discoveries?”

Xanth’s hooded form seemed to nod, “I am constantly involved in some sort of experiment or research, so I would hope that my efforts bear fruit.” This perked Azjah’s curiosity and she inquired as to what he was researching at the moment. Xanth told her that he was currently reading Michael Faraday’s ‘Experimental Researches in Electricity’ and attempting a few observations in that direction.”

Azjah chuckled, “Well, if you find a way to get around the Faraday Cage Effect, let me know.”

He gave a low, gravelly chuckle at that. So Azjah elaborated, “It mucks up my electrostatic coatings.’

“I would imagine that using a static magnetic field could help to penetrate the shielding.” He told her then.

Azjah shook her head then, “The difficulty with using a static magnetic field is that it pulls some of the critical pigments from the coating. And uneven coatings are very undesirable.”

Xanth seemed to nod again, “Ah, yes. Of course, I would need to know the variables and environment where the Faraday Cage existed.”

Azjah sipped her scotch, “Perhaps I can show you the application?” He told her that if she so desired, he would look at the application, and she smiled, “Your insight may prove helpful.”

Xanth’s hmm came again, “I am always interested in expanding my knowledge and experimentation.”

Topaz and Lucien remained seated with Rena, who was telling them that her first New Year’s resolution was to start keeping her feelings to herself because she found herself opening up too much and she had decided that condition had to be changed. And if it wasn’t being greedy, she was making a second resolution as well, which involved trying not to be so moody any more.

Topaz’s resolution she stated was to turn Lucien into a fairy. Rena chuckled and wished her good luck, but Lucien simply lifted a brow at them, “She will require more than luck.”

Rena smiled, “I know Lucien… if you are anything like your twin.”

Lucien leveled a black gaze on Rena, “Gabriel and I are very much alike.”

Topaz smiled, “You are ever so sexy with wings, mischievousing around. We’ll work on the forest green tights and such.”

Lucien remained nonplussed as he regarded Rena, “Except that he is a fussy old man.” Then he turned to Topaz, “Wings I could live with. Tights? Never.”

Rena laughed, “He didn’t seem to be. He had a lot of patience.” She was referring to the time she’d spent aboard the Star Dragon and the trip to Lacerta.

“Patience and Gabriel in the same sentence? You must have seen him in a very odd set of circumstances.” Lucien told Rena.

Topaz added that she thought if was stubbornness rather than patience when things came to Gabriel. But Rena insisted that Gabriel had been nothing if not patient on the trip.

The arrival of the long absent Aylysia pulled Rena away from Topaz and Lucien as she went to sit with Aylysia, who promptly asked Rena how the trip had been. She glanced at Azjah a moment before responding, “An experience I won’t soon forget.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Return from Lacerta

The week after they had returned from Lacerta found Azjah pushing open the door to Teas n Tomes. The bell jangled merrily as she headed for the counter, where she obtained her éclair and a cup of tangerine tea before she climbed the stairs to the balcony, where she settled into a comfortable chair with a view to the open area below.

The bells chimed as a gentleman walked through the doors, pulling off his leather jacket and carrying it over his arm as he made his way to the counter.

The air was cold and Azjah pulled the silk wrap closer around her shoulders before opening the book and taking a sip of the tangerine essence, .before taking a bite of the éclair.

The man who’d just walked in glanced at one of the patrons with a sigh, “Please don’t try hook me up with one of your friends. Really.”

Rhyannon smiled, “Oh, she isn’t my friend yet, and whhhy not? She’s nothing like me. She is sane.”

Azjah looked up from her book in time to see the man’s expression and chuckled softly as he looked between his friends, “I appreciate it, I do, but I can find a girl on my own. Heck, what makes you think I haven’t already?”

One of those in the group gasped and blinked at Tyler in great curiosity, “who is it?”

The victim of their intentions shook his head with a laugh and sipped his coffee, “I’m fine, really.”

Azjah caught his eye, and saying to him, “it is a female necessity, setting men up.”

He glanced up at her with a laugh, “Mom called it the mothering syndrome.”

She chuckled, “Your mother would be correct.” Then she returned to her book, breaking off another bite of the éclair before pulling out a small note pad to write the new formula neatly onto the page. Then she frowned at the page and the implications of the formula.

Tyler’s friends continued to nag him about finding him a girl friend, and he simply shook his head and insisted that he was fine in truth. Azjah glanced over the railing again, “They’re not going to buy your “I’m ok” routine you know.”

He turned his head toward her again, “But it’s the truth!”

She laughed, “It may be, but you’re not selling it convincingly enough.”

He hmm’d a moment, “see, they’re all in this thing called love, and I’m not. So they think I’m miserable. But I’m not. I’m content to be single.”

Azjah gave him a soft chuckle, “there is nothing wrong with being single. But, they would like to see you as giddy as they are, it would seem.”

Rena pulled open the door and stepped inside as the bell announced the arrival of another patron. She shot the bell a glare before closing the door and heading for the counter again. She reached into her pocket and laid the money on the counter for her cake and tea before turning around and scanning the room.

Azjah and Tyler were discussing whether or not his words were convincing, and he chuckled softly, “well, can’t win ‘em all.”

She gave him an assessing look, “Are you trying?” She laid her book down as Rena approached.

Tyler grinned, “Nah. Too exhausting. Need to pick your battles.”

She laughed softly, “on occasion though, the battle comes to you.

He nodded, “true that.” His eyes went to the door and he sighed softly.

Rena took a seat and placed the plate and mug on the table. “This is interesting,” she commented.

Azjah blinked, “what is interesting?”

She expounded on the RhyDin rumor mill then and Azjah simply listened. She personally had no use for the gossips and rumor mongers in town, but something was eating at her friend.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Below, Tyler was still being mother henned by Rhyannon as she slid her bean bag closer to Tyler while he played with his Pi ring. She wanted to know whom he was waiting for, and he set down the empty mug, “I’m not, but every time a girl walks in, I’m getting myself ready for you guys to try to hook me up with her. And you do know better than to do that, right?”

Azjah couldn’t help herself at that and she glanced over the railing at Tyler.

Rena had shifted topics and asked about going to the spaceport to look around since she’d not had any time to explore the night we’d left RhyDin. That drew Azjah’s attention back to her, “security is an obvious requirement, what would you like to see?”

She nodded and lifted her mug for a sip, “I want to thank you for letting me go with you.”

Azjah quelled a grimace, “Sorry we had a few hairy moments.”

She said she hadn’t expected an easy flight, but Azjah knew that Lacerta was growing more and more dangerous and things could have turned out much differently than they did. “The flight was easy, it was the blasted Cepheans that upset my plans for you.”

She smiled, “but you were expecting it eventually.”

Azjah nodded and broke off another bite of éclair, “Eventually, I do wish they’d waited just one more trip.”

Rena sliced into her cake, “why?”

Azjah quirked a brow at her, “It was not my plan to put you in danger.”

She shrugged, “I knew going in the trip it could happen. You explained it in conversations here, and Dominik said you had been having uneasy feelings.”

Azjah glanced over the railing before nodding at Rena’s comment. “Yes, and it would seem that it’s finally begun.” She nibbled the éclair before asking Rena what she’d thought of Azjah’s home away from home, the Star Dragon.

“Which one, the ship or the compound” she asked.

Azjah took another sip of the now cold tea and grimaced. “Any or all of the above. I’ll be right back.” She took the cup and headed down the stairs toward the counter once more, sliding the cold cup across to the girl. “Please refill with cranberry tea.” Then she glanced at Tyler as he was still being nagged about his single status. “You just haven’t the knack of convincing them.” She smiled and took the steaming cup back up the stairs to return to her table.

Tyler nodded in agreement, “but what can I do? Now there was a black cat being very annoying as it forced itself to the forefront seeking attention.

Azjah smiled over the railing, “get a BIG dog to chase the cat.”

He looked up at her, “great idea!”

Azjah smiled and sipped her tea, “I can loan you a couple.”

Tyler kept his head leaned backwards to look up at her and gave a thumbs up, “You rock!”

Azjah grinned at Rena, “I suspect Ranie would love a good cat chase.” She agreed and finished her mug of tea. Azjah gave her a conspiratorial smile, “For that matter, all of them would love to create some chaos in here.”

Rena took the mug downstairs and Azjah sipped the cranberry tea before packing up her book once more and heading down the stairs. She paused at the counter for an éclair to go.

Tyler got up from his chair and approached the counter for his second cup of coffee. Azjah sidestepped as he approached. He smiled and apologized for nearly stepping on her. She nodded, “no worries. I apologize for intruding in your conversations. We haven’t been introduced.”

He extended his hand, “I’m Tyler.”

Azjah took his hand, “I am Azjah Danaan Caer, and this is my friend, Rena.”

Tyler smiled, “Very nice to meet you.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah nodded in the direction of the friends who continued to harangue him about his single status, “hold your ground with them.”

He smiled and whispered in her ear, and they both chuckled a this comment. He grinned at her retort, “And everybody keeps telling me that my eyes are.” Then he winked and thanked her.

Azjah chuckled, “oh, but they would be in error” she told Tyler, then she picked up the bag containing the éclair and headed for the door, “I hear a ring calling me tonight,” she said to Rena, then paused just before opening the door, “do you duel Tyler?”

He spun about, “duel?” Curiosity written in his features.

Azjah nodded and patted the saber’s hilt where it rested against her left hip. “Yes, duel… as in cross blades with another in a controlled setting?”

He chuckled softly, “Oh, no, lover not a fighter. But I have a few bros that have been to the rings. Perhaps I’ll join them someday and see you there?”

She smiled, “Should you decide to come for a look, I would be happy to show you around.” She gave him a quick wink, “And good fighters make good lovers you know. They’re not mutually exclusive.” She slipped through the door and headed for the Arena.

Later that evening, Azjah left the arena and returned to the small shop, heading once again for the balcony.

Rena followed and took a seat nearby, saying softly, “she’s just looking for peer wins. She wants Dockside.”

Azjah shrugged, “it doesn’t matter.” Then she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She’d been passed over for a duel by a Warlord who only wanted Peer wins, and when Topaz made it known she too would duel, the Warlady had told Azjah that she would prefer to duel Topaz after accepting a duel with her. It stung, but it was all too common in the rings.

Rena grinned a moment, “Now, what were you and Tyler whispering about?”

Azjah opened her eyes a moment, “he simply said not to worry, that he had his standards. I told him to stick to them, they were his best asset, and he laughed, saying everyone else thought his eyes were his best asset.”

She nodded, “he would be one of the few.”

Azjah shrugged, “they’re out there, just few and far between.” Azjah leveled her pale blue gaze on Rena, “I probably shouldn’t have admitted that I was not a warlord.”

She shrugged, “You told her what you were.”

“Oh well, so what will you do now that we are back?”

Rena stirred the tea absently, “Probably what I was doing before we left. Find more places to restore… try to live up to my resolution that I made at that party. It was a nice tradition, to write on a piece of paper what you want to get rid of in the New year, then throw it into the fireplace.”

Azjah lifted a brow at her, “I cannot say I’ve ever heard of that tradition.”

She smiled, “It’s something called Hogmanay. It’s Scottish in origin.”

Azjah mulled a moment, “perhaps it’s a tradition I should adopt.” She frowned at the cold tea, “that’s the bad thing about cold weather, it makes my tea go cold much more quickly.”

She smiled, “I think I was being greedy, I wrote two.” Then softly adding, “I really wish I could keep my emotions buried.”

Azjah quirked a brow, “is there a rule against two?” She then stood and headed downstairs for a refresh of her tea, requesting an insulated pot of tea and balanced them both on a small silver tray and returned to her table, setting it down and refilling her cup, but didn’t look at Rena as she spoke, “When I was growing up, keeping my feelings hidden was pounded into me every day. I don’t believe I ever saw my mother shed a tear, no matter what was happening. I also don’t believe I ever saw her be extremely happy either.” Then she took a careful sip of the steaming brew.

Rena studied her a moment, “It’s a good thing to be pounded. It took me three years to tell Val how I felt because he kept coming and going and when I finally do, a few months later he goes back home, probably never to return.” She rapped both hands around her mug.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah glanced over the railing, “I’m not certain about that Rena. Because it is not only the sad or bad emotions that get suppressed.” She quirked a pale brow as the pesky cat shimmered into view atop Tyler’s head this time. It seemed to be asleep, with a paw resting on his forehead.

‘NOT COOL!” Tyler brought his hands up to remove the offending creature, which hissed at his approaching hands as the hair on her back stood up, as though she would claw the hell out of his hands if he so much as touched the aggravating feline.

Azjah shook her head, “You look… err… odd with a cat on your head Tyler.” Then she chuckled and sipped her tea before studying Rena once more. “It’s not something that most people can turn on and off though Rena.”

Tyler muttered below, “tell me about it.” He clearly did not want a cat on his head as he waved his arms around the cat, trying to get it to shoo. It however ignored his wishes completely and buried it’s face in his hair. He took that opportunity to grab her and place her on the ground. But she hissed at him and leapt into Jade’s arms for protection.

Azjah glanced over the railing again, “I’ve heard of coon skin caps, but catskin?”

Tyler sighed relief as the annoyance departed before looking up at Azjah, “You got that dog handy?”

She chuckled hearing Tyler, “as a matter of fact, he’s in the car.” Then she shook her head at Rena, “don’t bury them too deeply Rena, it makes people very hard to approach.”

Tyler gave a second glance at Azjah, “get him, please?”

Azjah tossed the keys to the McLaren over the rail to him, “silver sports car, two spaces down. His name is Myr.”

Tyler caught the keys, then was promptly struck by a nerf projectile, which sealed the need for the dog and he headed out to the parking lot in search of the described car. He found the car and unlocked it as Myr sat up and large brown eyes watched as Tyler grabbed the leash and slipped the collar over the dog’s head. “Well hello Myr. Want to play with a little kitty?” Tyler grinned and stepped back, allowing the large Borzoi to hop out of the car. The dog shook and gave Tyler a ‘zoi grin and headed straight for Teas’ n Tomes where he’d seen his mistress vanish some time earlier. Tyler wasn’t expecting the powerful dog’s eagerness to enter the shop and nearly had his arm yanked from its socket, “wow, excitable little fella… well, not so little” he laughed as he opened the door and let the dog inside

The cat seemed to panic, as though she realized where Tyler was going, and what his purpose was, and Azjah suppressed a smile, it would serve the arrogant creature right. Myr would love the chase, and so much the better if he managed to grab the cat. One less feline would do the world good.

The cat saw the dog coming and began squirming like mad in Jade’s arms as Azjah took a long sip of her tea and chuckled, “I wonder if Tyler knows what he’s setting loose in here.” The big hound slipped through the doors on high alert, looking for Azjah, but no one else needed to know that. If the stupid cat panicked, the sudden flight would draw Myr’s attention like a heat seeking missile drawn to the heat of jet wash.

Jade glared at Dean, “tell Ty to behave!”

Azjah chuckled and winked at Rena, “Myr will have a great time chasing small furry creatures, and probably grab a bite of cake here and there.”

Tyler was being pulled behind the dog as Myr spotted the squirming hissing ball of annoyance that abruptly turned into a humanoid female that was clinging to Jade, squealing in a most annoying high pitched yammer, “Please Jadey!!!!!!”

Azjah winked at Tyler, “Myr! Heel!” She chuckled softly seeing the feline get a lesson in manners, then to Tyler, “He’ll mind if you take a firm leadership.”

Another female thought to put herself between the feline and Myr, shooting Myr a hard look, but what Casidy didn’t understand about Borzoi is that they were bred to hunt wolves. Her attempt to be menacing would have precisely zero impact on the hunter now that he’d spotted Yami. She turned her focus on Tyler, “That is so mean.”

The feline let go of Jade and made a dash for the nearest table, and that elicited an excited lunge from Myr as Yami pulled herself up and over the nearest banister only to cower and whimper against the far wall. Azjah shook her head. It was ok for her to annoy the hell out of Tyler, and now she wanted sympathy because he defended himself against her hissing and spitting and claw threats?? OY.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Tyler planted his feet firmly as Myr sat in the heel position beside him, “whew,” he breathed and looked at Casidy and Jade. “Don’t drop cats on my head!” Then he turned and tried to go to his chair, but 120 pounds of dog remained seated and the leash brought Tyler up short.

Azjah chuckled, “Lead with your near side leg Tyler, he’ll follow.”

He smiled, “right.” Then he moved the leg closest to Myr and said “come”, which Myr promptly did, but he grabbed an éclair off a coffee table and devoured it in one bite as he followed Tyler to his chair. He sat down with a smug grin as Yami’s squealing continued.

“G…g…et that dog out of here!!!!!” She remained glued to the wall, “I…. hate dogs like that!”

Jade resorted to throwing things at Tyler, “stop it, yer scarin’ Yami!”

Azjah just shook her head. It was all about that that bloody feline wanted, what she didn’t want, what she liked and what she didn’t like. It never occurred to Yami that others may not like her behavior. Azjah then looked at Rena, “it would seem that a mild mannered canine can cause quite a stir.”

Tyler sipped his coffee as Myr remained seated beside his chair looking around at the patrons. “You going to stay off of my head?” His blue gaze slid toward Yami as he calmly petted the top of Myr’s head.

Yami shrieked, “YES, JUST GET THAT DAMN DOG OUT OF HERE!!!!!”

Tyler kept his eyes on Yami, “ask nicely.”

When she agreed to keep off his head, Tyler glanced at Dean, then back to Yami, “that goes for my bros too.” With that, he rose and took Myr outside

Yami tried to blame the nexus for her landing on their heads and Azjah just shook her head, looking at Rena, “Now I’ll have to let him run the squirrels tonight, or maybe we can scare up a rabbit in the vineyard.”

She chuckled, “bet that is fun.”

Azjah nodded, “they’re wonderful hunters, and I like to allow them to do what they were bred to do. Myr is a great runner too. There isn’t much that can out run him once he kicks into that double suspension gallop.”

She nodded, “he seems to have a nice form.”

Tyler was gone longer than simply taking Myr back to the car, and Azjah caught sight of him walking the big hound before taking him back to the car and patting his head and he slipped the collar and leash off. He closed the door and locked it before heading into the shop with a whistle.

Azjah sipped the tea, “He’s the one I take when I go riding. He usually scares up a fox or coyote when we go.”

Tyler returned inside and went to his chair with a grin toward Dean.”

Casidy tried to tell him that his actions were hateful, but to my view, Tyler was well within his rights given Yami’s bad behavior and threats to claw the crap out of him if he dared remove her from his head, where she had no right to be.

Azjah closed her book and she and Rena prepared to depart. Tyler noticed and said good night, but Azjah paused near his chair holding her hand out, “Keys?”

He fished them from his pockets and placed them in the palm of her hand, “thank you”

She curled her fingers around the keys, “any time” and she truly meant it as she headed out the door with a jingle of the bell overhead.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah walked through the door of the Inn and headed for an empty table, where she laid her valise before removing her coat and gloves. She glanced around hearing Rakeesh’s voice for the first time in a very long time. Then she settled in and caught the wave from Rena as she pulled out the book she’d been working her way through recently.

Rena headed for the bar, returning with a glass of Azjah’s favorite scotch, which surprised Azjah since Rena was obviously in discussion with someone else.

Rakeesh was telling someone about the Guild, “We are Adventurers, though. We duel in the Dueling Leagues, hunt monsters outside of the city, protect the city wall... ::then, quieter, and more friendly:: Mostly, those of us that are old tell stories of our youths and adventures to those of us who are young and are forced to listen to us ramble on-and-on.”

Azjah chuckled hearing him, “Rakeesh, you need something to occupy yourself before you go all maudlin.”

He turned and brought his mug with him as he joined her, “I am trying to see if I’m not too old for a spot on the Council still, effendi.”

Azjah motioned for him to make himself comfortable, “will being a councilor be enough to keep you properly occupied Rakeesh?”

He laughed, “I hope so. The Old Temple District has been overlooked by politicians and Barons all year. I hope to correct that.” He slid his four legs beneath his large body and rested comfortably on himself rather than trying to fit onto a chair.

Azjah nodded, “the Old Temple District is frequently overlooked, as are so many areas of the city.”

Rena spoke up then, “They look at the issues...and they talk about them. Just that some come in and try to change things overnight...and folks don't like that. I watched over it when I had it.”

Azjah nodded at Rena, “Yes, but not all even make an effort Rena. You made good things happen. Look at what a disaster Damien was for RhyDin.” Azjah shuddered remembering what a laughing stock that particular overlord had been, and was no better as a Baron.

Rakeesh nodded, “it was during the genocide that the District fell into disrepair.”

Rena added that she simply had issues with barons who were never around, but Azjah felt more strongly than that. Simply being around wasn’t enough. Some Barons were simply negligent, while others were horribly destructive of their responsibilities.

Rakeesh said that while Horatio is a good man, but a complacent Baron, and that he was half way to being able to challenge him for the title.

Azjah sipped the scotch, “Too many on the Council simply do not give a tinker's darned about what they secure in the ring. I shall wish you good hunting Rakeesh.”

Lord Alcar spoke up then, “The best way for a leader to prove themselves.. It to get their hands dirty.. You want to rebuild a part of town.. Work along side the people.. Want an area cleared out? Fight along side them.” He was not particularly addressing anyone special, but his idea was sound.

Rena nodded at both Azjah and Rakeesh, “only ones who have been around at all are Jaycy, G, Rand and Xeric.”

Azjah’s pale blue eyes slid toward Lord Alcar, “For some, that is never an option that even crosses their self centered minds.”

He returned her look, “True, and people like that aren’t fit to lead.”

Azjah agreed whole heartedly with Darkmere, “yet they continue to show up in power positions Lord Darkmere because there is prestige in the position. And there are those who seek the position simply to abuse it.” Her thoughts drifted to some of the current Barons and past overlords who shamed their titles repeatedly.

Rakeesh nodded, “prestige and ego… the enemies of change.”

Darkmere nodded, “but, that is my opinion, not that it carries much weight with people.”

Rakeesh grew thoughtful, “I should have run for Governor as well, but my arrival back to the city was too late to make a bid. I will now have to rely on my sword, I suppose not much has changed besides my age.”

Azjah smiled at the Liontaur, “there is always next election Rakeesh.”

“This is true” he agreed, then added, “May I be blessed enough to see it come.”

“We shall certainly hope for that Rakeesh,” Azjah told him, and she had never thought of the Liontaur as being so very elderly before. Then she turned her focus back to Lord Alcar, “And so Lord Alcar, why do you not join the fray?”

He chuckled, “I would have placed my bid, but I have enough on my plate at the current time.” He shook his head, “I have enough to deal with as it is back home.”

She knew well that feeling, and glanced at Rakeesh, “how are things at the Guild Hall Rakeesh? And what would you like to do with the Olde Temple District?”

“It is necessary that we repair the damage done during the War, which has been overlooked. It is also necessary that we bring the religious people there together, to respect each other's religions. I wish to create a School for the Gifted there - one that reaches out to Catholics, the Divine, and even the Dark Ones.” Clearly he’d given consideration to his plans, which was more than most.

Azjah commented that reconstruction can take a great deal of time for some of the damages, and Rakeesh added that, “It is important that those who believe fiercely in the Gods remember that this is a Nexus of worlds, with many Gods.” She quirked a brow at him in inquiry, and he added, “Yes. But I have guildmembers who need to work out if we are going to make the playoffs this season.” His allusion to TDL was lost on her.

“Religion is seldom, if ever, tolerant of other beliefs.” She had seen too many wars fought over who was right and who was heretical.

Rakeesh told her that things would never improve unless everyone worked to make it so, but Azjah told him then that he was fighting a seriously uphill battle.

Rakeesh smiled and gave her a wink before finishing off his ale, “you speak as though you’d known me all my life, effendi.”

She shook her head, “I cannot say that I have, but the religious wars are notorious no matter where I have been.”

Rakeesh sobered slightly, “I have been hunting down the cultists responsible for nearly a year. They are... I did not reach them first.”

She sipped the scotch, wishing Rakeesh success in securing a position on the Baronial Counsel, “You at the very least have a goal in mind for your ring.” This was; as far as she was concerned, far more than could be said for some of the other Barons on the Counsel. She closed her book and slid it into the valise before excusing herself for a few minutes to run an errand. They parted company as she headed over to see Ariel.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Later that evening, she returned to the Inn, pausing to seek an empty table with one of the over-stuffed chairs she so favored. Basalt was tending the bar and greeted her with a cheery nod. Before Azjah could be seated, Commander Karen Wilder shouldered open the doors to the in. The Marchioness gave her a nod as Karen ordered a scotch, neat, and that brought a smile to Azjah’s lips. “Was that your Templars out early on Yule Karen?”

She downed the scotch in a single shot before nodding assent, “T’was th’ Templars, aye.”

Azjah nodded, “very kind works,” she said to the Commander. Azjah didn’t know the Templar’s Commander very well, but the fact that these people took the time to see to the poor and otherwise neglected children seemed work that should be praised.

Karen looked her way, “Thank ye. Took us a long time tae make all them toys, but it were well worth it, seein’ th’ kids playin’ with ‘em.”

“Not many took the initiative Karen.” The Marchioness gave a nod of greeting to the Russian as he entered the Inn.

Karen frowned slightly, “We missed last year ‘cause o’ some politics, but it’s a tradition we try tae keep up.”

Azjah asked her how Olde Temple District was faring after all of the publicized violence. “Recoverin’ … slow enough though. Verra few Catholic’re wilin’ tae move back in tae th’ District, an’ th’ Temple o’ Divine Light’s been makin’ big inroads recruitin’ people.”

Azjah nodded, “I had heard that about the Temple. Where have the Catholic’s gone?” That comment surprised her.

Karen shook her head, “I've th' feelin' thet they had an arrangement wit th' Myr'Kul people... but there's nae enough proof. Most Catholics in th' District died... th' majority stay in Seaside an' Dockside districts now.”

Azjah canted her head slightly, “Now that I have not heard. I'm afraid I have been out of touch for the city, but I am sorry to hear of the tragedy.”

They spoke about the gubernatorial primaries and where Karen thought she may be in the polls, and Azjah asked her how she was going about getting her message out to the people of RhyDin as she hadn’t seen anything published from the Commander.

Karen chuckled, “There was th' announcement on th' steps o' th' courthouse... an' th' interview in th' Oracle, though mine got stuck near the back... “

Azjah canted her head, “what about taking out a front page ad?”

Karen hadn’t thought about that, and the latest issue had just recently been published, so it was late for making that deadline. Azjah smiled, “You can always hire public relations experts to do a special flier for you.”

Karen’s brow rose, “Offerin’ yer expertise?”

Azjah paused in mid sip of her scotch, “No Commander, I am no expert on that, but I know what I do when I want something put before the public in no uncertain terms. I hire the best and let them work out the details.” As the two women spoke, an inexplicable chill slithered across the room, causing Azjah to pull the silk wrap more closely around herself. The chill was not from an open door or window, and held the taint of something dark. She shivered again as Karen thought about her suggestion, agreeing that it might be a good idea at that.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

After several moments of the inexplicable chill, Lord Travanix pressed the door open and stood just inside the doorway with his arms folded behind him. The black uniform was sharp, as always. His posture and pose betray his military history and traits. He paused, auburn eyes scanning the inn just before he began moving towards the bar. Azjah’s gaze swept over the man in black, and another chill swept through her before Karen leaned closer and asked if the chill was ‘unnatural’.

She gave herself a mental shake and looked again at Karen, “My apologies Commander, if I have offered counsel where none was desired.”

She chuckled and said that she was always open to advice, but Azjah’s attention was once again drawn to the black clad figure approaching the bar. His arms unfolded, resting on the bar. He leaned slightly towards the business side of the bar. He nodded to the tender. “An ale would be fine.” He pulled the needed coins from his pocket placing them on the bar before him. She had never seen this one before last evening, and something felt wrong, though she could not place just what it was that bothered her.

Azjah looked again at Karen, “father was a wise business man Commander, and that was one of the lessons he drove home to me. Good management means knowing where to go to get what you need, not having to do it all yourself.”

She nodded, “'Tis a good one tae follow... an' a wise person thet knows they can't do e'erything on their own.” She chuckled, “Jes so…Jes so.”

Azjah then asked her if there were any ideas on how to counter the alleged joining between Myr’Khul and the Temple of Divine Light. She said, “As fer th' Myr'Kul... ain't heard much out o' them since th' battles. Only Vanion comes an' goes from their buildin', thet's been seen anyway. I's been leery o' th' Divine Light people since th' beginnin'. Then there was thet mess wit Xeno's sword...” She shook her head. “Jest don' trust 'em.”

Azjah nodded, “Vanion simply 'feel's' slimey, but getting a read on the Temple, now that's difficult. The General was telling me about their demands that he come personally for the sword. ”

She sipped another scotch, “He tried negotiating... brought me in tae stand neutral, but it jest kept goin' 'round an' 'round.”

Azjah frowned as she pondered, “Why would they hold it if they know it's his and that he wants it back? And if they're going to keep it despite all of that, why would they insist that he go personally for it?”

She had not heard of any progress on retrieving the sword that belonged to Xenograg, and Azjah had not seen the General of late to inquire.

Later in the discussion, Col. Wil Savage pulled open the Inn’s door and entered. His black leather pilot jacket was zipped tight against the cold, and his p-blaster was strapped to the right thigh of his faded jeans. He wore his shades and a cigarette dangled from his lips as Azjah caught sight of him. He smiled and walked past with a quick wink. “Good evening Mr. Savage.”

She introduced Karen to Wil as Karen was saying, “People talk 'bout reducin' violence, then get upset when someone actually does somethin' 'bout it.”

Wil brought his cognac to their table, “No, I haven’t met her, although her name is quite familiar to me.”

Karen chuckled and the usual pleasantries were exchanged and he sat down to join them briefly. Azjah nodded Karen’s direction, “She has interesting plans for rebuilding the Olde Temple District.” Which Karen modified to recovery plans rather than rebuilding plans.

Wil pulled out a chair, “The temple district is in particular need of restoration after all the crimes that have occured there.”

The trio talked about the recent spate of violence and killings that have nearly destroyed the Olde Temple District. Talk turned to Wil’s next book, which he confessed he had no idea when it would be published. Azjah smiled, “You keep us all on tenterhooks you do realize?”

He laughed merrily, “Azjah, you are far too delightful. I'm afraid my books do not have nearly that effect on people, but I thank you for saying that.”

Karen did not recognize his name, and asked him what kind of books he wrote, which he told her were usually novels with a political bent, and laced with enough romance and intrigue to keep the reader wanting more.

Azjah suggested that the next book be accompanied by a book signing and he studied her a moment, “A book signing would be nice, but we'd need a dinner being served so as not to grow too bored between those requested a author's signature.”

Azjah smiled, “dinner could be arranged.” She was already planning how and where.

Wil excused himself from their company with a promise to discuss the book signing agreement. Karen and Azjah then parted company as well as the Marchioness made her way into the night.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”