Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

A Journal

Post by Danielle Corwell »

Atrebla, May 2010

I always thought I'd start writing into this journal when I meet the love of my live. I thought wrong. I have come to believe that this may never happen.. So today, that I have graduated from the modiste accedmy, is as good a day as any to start making use of this gift. Perhaps the empty pages that now seem doomed to be filled with dates and lines describing that nothing worth of note has happened will inspire me to achieve something worth putting to paper.
Last edited by Danielle Corwell on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla, May 2010

Major der Korst came to visit this morning. The flowers to congratulate I suspect were more of an excuse for his visit. He suggested with the kindest words possible that I take my newly learned skills and put them to good use and that I do not forget to feed myself. The house is way too much for just one person to live in and of course he took note of most of the rooms being closed off. His suggestion of my turning the parlor and entry hall into a shoppe and sewing room was a sensible one. I had to agree that keeping busy was a good idea and that while I do not have to be profitably employed to meet my needs and I could even afford a limited deficit a profit would be a positive experience for me. Much like the time he had me convinced to attend the accedemy, he had me nod my permission for him to invite Mr. Langlin to call on me with the intention of renovating the parlor and entry hall into 'Danielle's Fashions and Accessories.'
Last edited by Danielle Corwell on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla June 2010

The downstairs is a mess! Whatever posessed me to agree to have the house turned topsy turvy and into a shoppe? Mr. Langlin insists that I must accompany him into the big town to pick some fabrics and all sorts of things for the shoppe, that my presense is paramount and that he could not possibly be trusted to make the correct choices himself. Marion suggested that I might enjoy the opportunity to purchase some materials from selections not available in Atrebla. She does make a good point.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla, June 2010

The trip into the big town was a success. I found prices much more favorable than I had a right to expect and fabrics I can hardly wait to get to work with. Ms. Wildmere from the Accedmy advised me what kind of sewing machine to aquire and what kind of shelves, drawers and display stands I may find most functional and most appealing to potential clientel. Mr. Langlin is confident that by the first of next month my new studio will be ready for me use and that, provided I have anything ready to sell by then, Danielle's Fashions and Accessories may be in existence as early as mid- July.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla, June 2010

All those wonderful muslins, broadcloths, colorful tapestries, intricate brokades, watered silks, soft velvets and playful jaquards are too tempting for me to leave in their boxes until the studio is finished. I pulled out every bolt I brought home from the trip into the the big town and while marveling over them assigned a project or two to each of them. It is too late now to start cutting, the sun is only moments from dipping beyond the horizon. I will have to wait for morning and make do with the kitchen table for a work surface. It has been a long time since I longed for a new day to start because I had something I wanted to do with it.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla, June 2010

Marion came by to distract me from from Mr. Langlin's doings. She offered to accompany me on a treasure hunt in the attic to check for what of Morm's old things might be useful in decorating the shoppe. We ended up spending most of the afternoon polishing the old spinning wheel and sanding the clothes waiter. I was doubtful that the old thing was fit for anything but the compost heap, but now it looks like a couple applications of stain and laqueur would give it a new purpose of displaying one or the other item of a gentleman's garb. Mr. Langlin welcomed the additional furnishings and appeared delighted to add them to his design for the shoppe.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla, June 2010

The first shipment of trims and cords arrived this morning. They look even more beautiful and useful as I remember them being from when I picked them out. Regrettably the wonder of a sewing machine has not made it to the valley yet and I have started on smaller projects, sewing them the old fashioned way with nothing more fancy than fine needles and thread. That makes for slow progress but allows for setting decorative stitches, something I find convenient in the creation of the norse style clothing. There may not be much call for that particular style here, but the bright colors will appear attracktive in the picture window.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla, June 2010

I sold the first shirt this morning and the shoppe is still far from its opening day. Lady Dagmar, one of the teachers from the Accedemy, called to see if I needed any advise. She had met Major derKorst and of course he mentioned Danielle's Fashions and Accessories to her. After she had looked over the few drawstring purses and one shirt I had finished and glanced at the projects in progress she asked me for some details about the finished shirt and then decided to buy it. I feel nicely complimented and not unlike I achieved a good grade to have sold my very first piece to one of my teachers from the Accedemy.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla July 2010

The sewing machine arrived yesterday. Mr. Langling found just the right spot for it in the studio and promptly declared it ready for use. The opening day is set for Monday. Setting stitches is going a lot faster now. Everything else is still taking seemingly forever. Still, I am now able to finish a piece in a day rather than in a week. I should be able to have a few things in the shoppe despite people buying things as they make calls prior to opening day.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla July 2010

Tomorrow is opening day. Mr. Langling declared the shoppe ready earlier this afternoon. He even helped me display the few things I have finished before he took his leave. The shoppe looks much friendlier than I had imagined it and the dressing room is more luxuriously furnished than mine. Now I have time to get nervous about tomorrow. Marion will bring some trays of mini pastries and tea cookies to offer any visitors.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla July 2010

Opening day went better than feared but not quite as well as wished for. Most of the callers were just curious. Just the same, I have a nice little stack of orders and measurements that should keep me busy for a while to fill and few coins to purchase some more materials with the next time I make the trip into the big town. Marion's tea cookies were quite a hit. Had she brought any to sell with her, people would have bought them.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla July 2010

Lady Topaz called today. She was very complimentary of the display pieces, particularly of the light blue shirts with the decorative stitching. Now I get to make two of them for her in a size to fit a two year old boy. I wonder who she is getting them for seeing that she has a girl just about old enough to start learning her letters and numbers. But somehow I didn't get around to posing that question.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla July 2010

Major derKorst has picked up the pretty cloak of velvet and tapestry this morning. Now I really have to get to making another instead of just thinking to. Perhaps the tapestry with the swans by a pond in front of a gazebo will be large enough for a Lady's cloak. Colorwise it would go well with periwinkle velvet from Mr. Sanders Import Imperium. While it was displayed for people to see through the window as they passed by I had quite a few come in and inquire about the cloak. Some even ended up walking out with a shirt or vest. After Major derKorst left not a single person came inside. On the upside of that, I was able to work at the sewing machine without any further interuptions and got two shirts finished.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla July 2010

Mr. Langlin has returned. It took him some time he filled with compliments of this and that and a lengthy contemplation of this summer's weather to get around to the reason of his visit. He quite astutely took note of the fact that I am currently without a parlor. The plans he brought with him to show me intend for Garry's old room to be turned into a comfortable and private sitting room. I must admit that his plans meet my tastes perfectly and I do agree that I should have a private parlor. So next week Mr. Langlin will start to work on that project.
Danielle Corwell
Adventurer
Adventurer

Atrebla August 2010

How many shirts can a man go through? Lieutenant Penkovskiy has just picked up a seventh shirt in as many weeks, confessing that he had somehow managed to already ruin five of the ones I made for him. He also assured me that my stitching was just fine, more durable even than that of most of his clothing and the fit was as perfect as could be, otherwise he'd not be returning for more shirts. Before he took his leave he ordered another set of shirts. Should the Lieutenant continue in this vein I could employ a seamstress just to keep him clothed.

Return to “Atrebla”