Moderator: Staff

Neo Eternity
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Seraphim Knights Leader

The new Duel of Magic is complete!!

Post by Neo Eternity »

We made it!

Through countless months of brainstorming, to three weeks of finalization plans and six weeks of testing, four of which exposed the new Duel of Magic to public testing during regular dueling hours, we have finally completed it! The new Duel of Magic has been finalized, and is now the only Duel of Magic officially available for use. This new version has been very well received; in fact, nobody played the old version anymore once testing started! The challenges and tournaments using the new version were very warmly received.

I think we done good, guys. And I really mean we. If it weren't for everyone who participated in brainstorming, firing ideas back and forth and evaluating each individual one extensively, we wouldn't have come to the final concept that we did.

And the testers... If it weren't for the people adventurous enough to take part in the two alpha testing tournaments, duelists and callers alike, we wouldn't have been as confident in the new Duel of Magic as we were to begin with, and we wouldn't have found that we needed to knock a rank out.

And then the public testers, again, duelists and callers alike! Thank you so much for enduring our hacky little workaround to get focuses working with the flash chat tool. Unfortunately, we're probably still going to have to use it for the first week or two. We've got a guy working on the proper checkbox, but I don't know when it'll be done. Hopefully soon. But aside from that, pretty much everyone jumped on the DoM4 train. There was great public support for it. Like I said, people stopped dueling DoM3 once we started testing!

So thank you so much, every single one of you, who participated even in the tiniest way, because without you, this would not have been possible! The DoM4 testing achievements don't exist yet, but once they do, I will personally ensure that everyone who has participated receives them. It's the least I can do!

Now, get out there and enjoy the new Duel of Magic! :D

I was gonna post an announcement in Coordinator's Corner announcing it and listing the changes in tl;dr form, but there's a permission issue, and I can't. So here they are here:
  • All advanced spells are available to all duelists; that is, Meteor Shower, Arctic Blast, Reflection, and Ghost Form.
  • A new modifier has been created called Focus, which adds .5 to any modified spell that scores. Unfortunately, there is not yet a checkbox for performing focuses, so until there is, perform focuses by submitting your spell in the dueling tool three times in a row. Callers will manually make the required adjustment if a focused spell scores.
  • The Magician rank has been removed to facilitate capping Focuses at 3. This incidentally also creates ranking symmetry between all three sports.
  • During Keeper challenges, it's no longer necessary to fight at the lowest rank between the two challengers due to improved rank parity with the changes.
  • The Game Guide and Rules of Rank have both been updated to reflect the changes. I was able to update the Rules of Rank myself, but I had to email Xeno the Game Guide. It'll be up eventually.
  • The standings page has been revamped to facilitate these changes.
  • There are NO changes at all in the matrix; all of the move interactions are exactly the same. However, it might feel different because the 1/3 of the moveset that had been sealed off is available to everyone now.
-- Neo Eternity
Seraphim Knights, Leader
Retired DoM Coordinator
Neo Eternity
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Seraphim Knights Leader

Post by Neo Eternity »

Hiya. Updates, I have them.

The new Game Guide is finally posted, for one. Go check it out if you haven't yet!

Second, I have made a couple changes to the Rules of Rank. Apparently it was agreed upon way long ago that inactivity should be after 3 cycles instead of 2, and I never knew about it. So from now on, that will be the case for inactivity.

The other change details what happens if a Keeper fails to respond to a challenge. If this happens, then the Keeper of the opposite element will be selected to champion for the challenged Keeper, but may decline. More details on what happens there is under the Becoming a Keeper section.
-- Neo Eternity
Seraphim Knights, Leader
Retired DoM Coordinator

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”