The vocal stylings of the Hooligan Twins

Tales from a menagerie of characters.

Moderators: Talathian, Kenzi, Rayvinn

Kenzi
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Location: Rhydin University - Broadcasting Journalism Department or KLIT-AM 900 studio

The vocal stylings of the Hooligan Twins

Post by Kenzi »

Kenzi crossed off the final item on the whiteboard and had no further To-Do's; a sigh of relief was breathed out and she grabbed her bag before heading towards Nell's office. A tap on the door to indicate her presence before she stuck her head through the open doorway. "Hey, Nellie...I'm gonna go grab a drink, wanna come?"

Nell was sitting at her desk, her booted feet crossed at the ankle and resting on the top of said desk, leaning back almost dangerously in her chair. A stack of papers sitting in her lap were quickly abandoned to instead look toward the door. Spotting Kenzi, she grinned. "Hey! Yeah, totally. I'm about tired of this shit." She picked up the papers and tossed them unceremoniously on the desktop before standing. She looked around a minute then grabbed her beat up bag, slinging it over her shoulder. "Got a place in mind?"

"I do. A little hole-in-the-wall dive bar called Maloney's not far from here in West End. Cold beer on the cheap and karaoke. Nobody questions if ya have to bust your knuckles on somebody's teeth for grabbin' ya either. So that's a plus." She gave Nell a little grin and took a couple of steps backwards as she spoke before turning around to head towards the hallway.

"Sounds like my sort of classy joint," she snickered, following after the redhead, closing the door behind herself. "Good thing I got my brass knuckles." Patting her bag.

"Oh hell yeah, you'll fit right in. Bartender's name is Tommy and he's one of the nicest guys 'round unless ya cross him. Which you won't because you're cute and he likes cute girls." Points at the bag. "I so need to get me a pair of brass knuckles. I want a pair with some bling, maybe pink and sparkly."

Kenzi led them out of the station with a wave for Bob and then down the street to an even worse neighborhood than they had just left. The door was pushed open and Kenzi moved inside first, holding the door after so Nell didn't get smacked in the face with it. Her free hand was lifted as she called out loudly, so she could be heard over the karaoke, "Heya Tommy, I brought ya some fresh meat. We need a couple of shots and a a couple of mugs off tap please." Kenzi moved further into the interior and off to the right where Tommy was already putting their drinks onto the scarred, but clean, bartop.

Nell grinned as she followed after Kenzi. "Yeah, for real. I know a good place in Old Town, friend of mine has a weapons shop. I bet we could totally find you brass knuckles with bling. Mine have 'eat shit' engraved on them." When they reached the bar she was quick to look around with interest. It was grimy and low brow, naturally, but Nell was at home in places like that. Moreso than at some dinner party. Her eyes moved to look Tommy over, affecting another grin. "Meat."

Tommy looked Nell over without hiding the predator's grin and nodded, "Fresh." Kenzi snickered a little and tossed her bag down on a barstool before hopping onto the one next to it. "Sweet nectar of oblivion, I welcome you." That shot glass was tapped on the bar before being pounded back with the urgency of one who spent far too much time around a certain obnoxious duo that made life hell.

Luckily for Nell, she didn't have to 'report' to that duo, but she could sympathize. Luckily for Kenzi, Nell liked playing the part of an alcoholic. She threw back her own shot with practiced ease. It was actually pretty damn decent, which gave her that oh-so-pleasant liquor warmth.

"Alright, girly. Drink up because we are gonna pretend to be rock stars and bedazzle this crowd." It wasn't even dinner time and there was already a pretty good crowd of people in the place.
Kenzi lifted the second shot, that Tommy had refilled immediately after the glass hit the bar-- he knew her well.

She glanced around, spotting the little karaoke set up they had. Another shot was downed before she looked back to Kenzi. "What are we singing? A good ol' rock ballad or some 80s?"

"Ooh. I like how you think!" She hopped off of her barstool, carrying her beer with her, and made her way over to the book that listed what songs they had.

Nell grabbed her own beer and meandered after the redhead. All these redheads in her life all the sudden! When Kenzi got to the book Nell came to stop beside her, blue eyes lowering as she reached out to start leafing through the book. "Alright, let's see heeeere..."

Kenzi tapped a glittery black painted nail next to a song and just snickered. "This. This right here." And she immediately began to hum out the tune.

Nell snickered, looking askance to Kenzi. "This is going to get added to our list of theme songs."

"Hell yes," was the redhead's reply as she sat down the beer so she could strip off the loose t-shirt she had tied over a cami. Next she pulled her hair down from that nearly constant messy bun she wore and shook the waist length coppery waves out. With a wicked little grin to Nell, Kenzi hopped onto the very small elevated area that passed for a stage. "If we're gonna give a show, we should give a real show, yeah?"

I will second that." Nell was wearing jeans slung low on her hips and a tank, with a jacket over it. Seeing Kenzi semi-strip, she shrugged out of the jacket and tossed it over a stool. After hiking the shirt up a little bit to show more of her midriff, she hopped up after her.

Kenzi let out a wild "Woot!" when she saw Nell getting ready and when the lyrics flashed up on the screen, Kenzi lifted her mic and began to croon out the first few lines of the song with only the faint sound of a synthesizer to accompany.

"I went to a party last Saturday night
I didn't get laid, I got in a fight,
Uh huh
It ain't no big thing."

For that couple of seconds of pause, Kenzi raised a fist to the crowd that was just starting to stir around and move over to the part of the bar where she and Nell were. There were a few cheers and she grinned before continuing.

"Late for my job and the traffic was bad
Had to borrow ten bucks from my old man,
Uh, huh
It ain't no big thing"

She turned to grin at Nell as the drums and guitar joined, pointing at her so she could take the second verse. Of course, the revved up music just had Kenzi bouncing around on the stage now, dancing unabashedly in her wild way.

Nell was game for most things in life, and this was no exception. Of course, she was caught off guard by how well Kenzi actually sang. She hadn't been aware! Hmmm... she would have to ponder it later, but for now, she lifted her mic. "I went to a party last Saturday night. I told you that story I'd be alright, uh-huh. It ain't no big thing. But I know what I like, I know I like dancing with you, and I know what you like, I know you like dancing with me, oh yeah." Nell was certainly into show-womanship, as she was pointing to random individuals in the crowd, hips working as she did.

Kenzi was kicking out each foot to the beat as she danced but leaned over to lightly palm a guy's forehead and teasingly push him back when he tried to get on stage with them. She gave him a wink and picked up the song as Nell finished her last .

"Kiss me once! Kiss me twice!
C'mon pretty baby, kiss me deeeadly~"

Blowing a kiss then making her rock fist at the crowd, Kenzi continued to dance with hips gyrating and head bopping. She and Nell continued that song until they had the people in the bar joining in and cheering. It was obvious by the grin on Kenzi's face that she was in her element right now.

As the song ended, she called out, "Put your hands together for the vocal stylings of Nell Holliday, DJ for KLIT-AM 900. Tune in and listen EVERY DAY! WOOO!" Kenzi bounced over to get her beer and swallowed half down in one drink.

Kenzi was a ball of energy! Clearly she enjoyed performing. This set the wheels in Nell’s mind to turning. But first- "Fuck yeah, you better tune in!" She yelled, pointing at people indiscriminately. "I know where you live." And then she hopped off the stage with a hip thrust.

((Taken from live play. Thanks to Nell's player.))

Return to “The Mundane and Mystical - Tales of Elves and Men”