Post by Spell »

Just do what Matt does...

Magebolt = Punch
Mindwhip = Punch
Foul Fog = Punch
Fear Touch = Punch
Immolation = Punch
Every other DoM Move = Punch

The descriptions in the guidelines don't need to be used. Displacement could simply be a step to the side. Magebolt a punch. Anything, really. If you wanted Immolation to light yourself on fire? Sure. But on the site it's read as...
A white-hot wall of fire; a superior defensive spell.
So it's more like setting up a wall of fire in front of you. But even that doesn't need to be used. It's like how I have feint flip in DoF become a rising knee into someones face if they duck. Moves don't need to follow the same code as they are written on site.

For the subject of the DoM Matrix. I've never seen a problem with it, but that must be from a viewpoint of joining DoM after DoM4 was introduced. Sure Foul Fog does .5's then scores a full point on other moves, sure Fear Touch scores 1's mainly and .5's on other moves. Immolation does it as well, that's why I personally like the spell -- for it's potential. This doesn't make them necessarily bad. Not everything needs to be a static damage point. It makes the game different and creates more thought provoking strategic situations.

Also Meteor Shower is one of the strongest spells, Jake. It won me the Archmage ;).

Move tier list can be debated though. Some view NR as overpowered, I personally do not. When I can challenge a NR mage as an enchanter and win? That's 1 Foci vs NR, 3 Foci, EF? And most of my points came from learning how to *trade* with NR, along with defending against it? Then it really isn't that bad.

Before DoM4? I don't know. Now? It isn't. Ghost Form was pretty OP in the old game from what players have told me. Now? It isn't. DoM4 changed the game and most notions of DoM in the past should really be thrown out the window. It's not the same game anymore. So holding onto past issues with the old game is doing more of a disservice to you ( general ). DoM is no longer the game many vet players remember from the past.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Since my name was mentioned...

DoM is odd for me. I don't really have a problem with the matrix or the elemental based titles. Not that I don't get Jake's point and it having stolen a little of the uniqueness of the opals, but I do like the tower / opal interaction stuff and I wasn't a part of the DoF world until fairly recently to have been attached to them in that way.

The moves and matrix were slow to click with me, but I finally started to get a handle on it during Hyrda (of course, it's been a while now, so I'll probably be lost again next time I venture in). Post hydra I think the only thing that kept me from going in more was a lack of other low ranked characters and the scheduling.

Right now, my preferred game is DoF. If I'm on for a fight night, I'm either going to fight DoF or DoS because Kal's a baron and I think he should fight in swords to support the sport. If there was a DoM solo shift that attracted more folks and other people were fighting, I'd likely stop in from time to time. Tuesday (or Monday for that matter) just doesn't work well for me.
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

Kalamere wrote:Right now, my preferred game is DoF. If I'm on for a fight night, I'm either going to fight DoF or DoS because Kal's a baron and I think he should fight in swords to support the sport. If there was a DoM solo shift that attracted more folks and other people were fighting, I'd likely stop in from time to time. Tuesday (or Monday for that matter) just doesn't work well for me.
Mondays and Tuesdays have never been great days.

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”