Madness information

The Most Anticipated Tournament of the Year

Moderator: Staff

G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Madness information

Post by G »

It's Duel of Swords Madness.

Not All Dueling Sports Madness.

Accomplishments in other sports are not counted towards Madness accomplishments.

Just in case there were any questions.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

So, just the accomplishments like an elite 8 showing in last year's tourney, winning and defending a barony and overall winning 72% of all duels fought since last year to increase WoL by 11?

Just to be clear that I'm looking at the right types of information.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Correct, just like a year long Barony, four defenses, a championing, as well as 3 baronies and three defenses and whatever else that the second seed happened to get that year.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
Cassius Gaius Maximius
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Gentleman Farmer

Post by Cassius Gaius Maximius »

The Falon Division's seedings were entirely on me. Here is the deal, and G, Claire, and Colin, who were all given the information, can vouch for this.

I use a point system every year, basing points off of title wins, defenses, Madness placings, etc. I have this and can post it. Jake placed behind Kal and G'nort. Honestly? G placed ahead of Kal; I used my discretion there, because in my opinion, holding a ring all year is actually better than winning three in a row...because hey, that means you've lost at least two.

AndDoF/IFL/DoM rankings have *no* bearing on Madness, although yeah, Jake would be a no. 1 seed if that was the case.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

I don't approach this from the opinion of, 'damn you guys suck at this'. I was talking with Claire about this stuff last night and mentioned you're just never going to get seedings perfect or make everyone happy. It's more art than science and somebody is going to think you made a mistake.

That said, if you can't take some ribbing over the process, especially when you slot a guy who has been knocked out in the first round of the tournament 3 years straight as a #1 seed, then you need to build a thicker hide.

As to looking outside of DoS, one doesn't need to. Compare the following:

2013 Madness Rounds Advanced:
Kalamere: 0
G'nort: 1
Jake: 3

Pressure Duels won since last Madness:
Kalamere: 4 - 0 (2 baron defenses, 2 ToW type duels)
G'nort: 4.5 - 1 (1 barony win [seaside], 3 dockside defenses, .5 credit for 2nd place WLT, less seaside loss)
Jake: 2 - 0 (Won and has 1 defense of New Haven)
* possible some events were missed, defenses where the OL fought are discounted

Regular dueling win %:

Kalamere: 52% for a +2 WoL
G'nort: 56% for a +7 WoL
Jake: 72% for +11 WoL

For me, personally, that regular duel winning percent is one of the more important things because it is miles higher than the usual.

You have reasons for how you seeded the way you did and that's fine. It's a completely subjective system and nobody will ever account for every possible consideration. Don't tell me that I had to go looking at DoF / IFL / whatever to come to a different opinion though.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

I fully expect Jewell to be seeded #1 next year.

Madness has been a lot of fun. All the bracket busting has been great! Thank you everyone who has put a tremendous amount of working into making this event work!
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Post by Andrea Anderson »

Kalamere wrote:Don't tell me that I had to go looking at DoF / IFL / whatever to come to a different opinion though.
The misunderstanding possibly came from the article.
Seeding aside, Jake's been on a hot streak in both the Arena and the Outback and everyone but the seeding committee seems to know it.
But you're right, everyone has their own way of seeding and not everyone will be alright/happy with how seeding takes place. So it's really a non-issue.
JewellRavenlock wrote:I fully expect Jewell to be seeded #1 next year.

Madness has been a lot of fun. All the bracket busting has been great! Thank you everyone who has put a tremendous amount of working into making this event work!
Truth. It's been amusing to witness all the bracket busting. :P Here's hoping for a low-seed Madness win. Then I can have Harris cry to me in IMs about his brackets.
Arthour
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Your best bet is at the Red Dragon Inn or Bristle Crios, doing paper work...

Post by Arthour »

I don't even know why this has come up, I'm just happy I beat Claire and probably made someone cry about their brackets before Tarl set the record straight :3
Family's where the heart is.

Teacher at the Academy of Bristle Crios,
Representative of Bristle Crios.

Return to “Duel Madness”