Faerie tales from beyond the veil to the streets of RhyDin

Moderators: Bailey Raptis, JewellRavenlock

Kruger
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Anvil

Interview with The Anvil

Post by Kruger »

Jim Fletcher had done some high profile interviews for the Informer so sitting across from Kruger ‘The Anvil’ Allen was far from intimidating. As big as the man seemed in the ring, up close Kruger was quite short, though he could give beer barrels lessons in being stocky. Jim of course was exceedingly tall and thin. Most of his coworkers called him Slim, the jealous ones had dubbed him beanpole.

Jim was still in a strange state of euphoria from the press conference with Claire and Giovanni where he’d asked questions that had managed to first silence the pink haired captain, then send her into a fit of anger. Jim knew that the interests of his paper were far less about this world of sports, and more about exposing the personal stories behind the scenes. He believed there were things going on in the IFL that the current leadership just didn’t want to come to light. More than that Jim believed it was his responsibility to be the one doing the exposing.

“You’re personal record during the regular season was pretty average, two losses, and two wins, and even though you had substantial leads through the matches, you couldn’t seem to hold on for what could have been epic wins. Do you have any comment on that?” Jim watched Kruger’s mouth form a moue of thought, the man took a deep breath before actually speaking.

“Well, Jim, it’s true that I had a lead in those matches, but I’d like to point out that a lead isn’t something you can count on. Great fighters adapt and overcome. I don’t think anyone would say that Harris isn’t a great fighter, and Bob is far better than his rank implies. He holds that rank by choice, not because he doesn’t have the numbers to move up.” Kruger’s fingers spun the black can with the Phoenix label as he spoke.

“Wise words to be sure, and your performance so far during the playoffs has been enough to solidify that you deserve to be in the finals. What about the rest of the team? Who’s your best fighter?” Jim asked the question with the boredom that he really felt for it. He needed to lull Kruger into a false sense of confidence before asking the questions he really wanted.

“I believe the fighters on The Rock Hards can beat anyone on any given day. That can be said for all the fighters in the league though.”

“Even Minam? Many are surprised you put him in the line-up for the championship.” Jim made lazy notes as he watched Kruger react to the question.

“Especially Minam, you watch the tapes and you’ll see there is more to that kid than you’re giving credit for.” The words seemed to have what Jim could only classify as a growl of anger mixed with a protective pride. He’d heard that Kruger had strong feelings about his fighters, now he was getting to see that first hand. Perhaps the interview was looking up.

“What do you say to those who believe that your fighting style is fake, that even your signature move is designed to cause no pain?” Jim wanted a reaction from Kruger, to keep him on his heels and defending.

“I’d say ask those who’ve fought me, or step in with me yourself. That’d be the best way to tell wouldn’t it?” Jim had hoped for more out of Kruger, perhaps he wasn’t probing hard enough.

“I see, what about the other team captains, any animosity between you?” Jim was getting closer to where he wanted to be. Leading Kruger along like a dog on a leash, giving him enough slack so that when he jerked it tight he’d have him right where he wanted.

“Animosity? I wouldn’t go that far, Jewell’s a good friend. Bob, well he’s probably a closet fan and I like his style. I’ve known Matt for years now and always enjoy squaring off against him. Harris and I don’t really travel in the same circles, same with Kimone. I really only know Sylus by reputation, and that extends outside the ring and into something more professional.”

“I noticed you left Claire off that list. Perhaps you feel something different there? The entire league has seen how you look at her.” Trapped, Jim had managed to push Kruger into the corner and it was one of his choosing.

“Truth is I’ve worried about Claire all season, she wasn’t exactly fit for fighting. Sure she managed to create an avatar to fight through, but even that was likely a strain. Especially in her condition. I don’t think I was the only one worried, I was just the only one who couldn’t keep it from showing.” It sounded reasonable to Jim, reasonable and well thought out and almost completely rehearsed.

“That seems fine on the surface, but judging by her reactions to similar questions, I’m not buying it. Tell us the truth Kruger. What’s going on between the two of you?” Jim could feel his mouth beginning to smirk triumphantly. It didn’t last long. Kruger’s hand moved so fast that Jim didn’t see what was coming. He felt the slap on his face burn through his skin, and heard it bounce off the walls as he was propelled from his seat and onto the floor. In the back of his mind he heard the words of Giovanni echoing. … a certain level of unpredictability. The dog was no longer being led, but attacking the leash holder. Jim hadn’t expected to be physically assaulted, but perhaps he should have. He’d backed a fighter into the corner without ever thinking that perhaps he would fight his way out.

Jim rose from the floor and was surprised to see that Kruger was still sitting there with the same look on his face. “Real enough Jim? I wouldn’t suggest that you infer that Claire is anything but devoted to her husband. Also, if your next question has to do with Juliane and Bane, then you might want to cover up.”

“I think I have enough.” Jim’s fingers were shaking as he tried to stand, the fingers of Kruger’s hand clamped down on his wrist and stopped him from leaving.

“No, I believe I have you for the full hour… Next question please.” There was an odd glint to the wheat colored eyes of Kruger and a Cheshire smile to go along with it.

Return to “Beyond the Veil”