Out of Character message board for the Duel of Magic

Moderator: Staff

DUEL Claire
Coordinator
Coordinator
Location: Underwood Manor, Sassy Owl Saloon, DGO, or the dueling venues

DoM Team Event/League Feedback!

Post by DUEL Claire »

Now that we've had a chance to try out the team format, we're looking for some feedback on how it went.

While I've got some ideas for what I'd like to see going forward, I definitely want to hear from those of you that took part, those of you that wanted to but couldn't, and well, whoever else wants to.

What went well, what didn't, what needs to happen more? Tell meeeeeeee. Please & thank you!
KC
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by KC »

DoM is best sport. This event was p nice, that's my feed back.

More teams would have been nice but this was a beta and held during one night. With those limitations I think the DoM squad did a good job running the event.
DemiBob
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by DemiBob »

Strictly as a one night event, I liked it, but:

a) I wasn't a fan of the random bonuses to score for things like blammity, both because they were randomly selected by the caller and because they could sway the win for a team that actually lost the majority of the fights.

b) Too long. I can only imagine it would be longer if it were 4 people per team. I don't know if the intention is to run the tournaments in one night or space them out like IFL, but as it stands, it ran forever and expecting 6-8 people to all be ready for 5+ hours of dueling might be pushing it. Other events run that long, granted, but I don't think they require whole teams to be awake/sharp.

The calling was great. We moved fairly quick. The room was fun to interact with. Claire, you did an AMAZING job. I know the WoL are going to be put to use and Magikarpet Ride had a lot of fun doing it.

Thanks for hosting!
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

DemiBob wrote:
a) I wasn't a fan of the random bonuses to score for things like blammity, both because they were randomly selected by the caller and because they could sway the win for a team that actually lost the majority of the fights.
Touching on this quickly, the bonuses were selected by random number generator and only one person in the whole evening capitalized on it. As a matter of note, the person who capitalized on it won the duel but the team lost overall so it didn't seem to sway it that much. Could it have? Had Vinny scored one more point in round two or Hitmonlee one less, it would have swayed it in Revengers favor but really it didn't seem like many people were biting on them.

They were just somethin' to test, but if others wanna weigh in on what they thought about them, I'd love to hear more.
Lem DeAngelo
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Lem DeAngelo »

Team tourney was fun. Thanks to Claire and Sandy for calling it.

So far I'm thinking:

1) Bonus points for blammity, etc. may need to be lowered if used in the future? Were they worth 2 points? If so, that's a hefty bonus when the winner only gets 6 points.

2) Maybe the winner should get more than 6 points? I think a losing team could actually have won the round even if they went 1-2. If team A's 3 duelers win 5-1, lose 4-5, and lose 4-5 the score would be 14-13 team A even though they were only 1-2?

3) For another 1 night tourney, it might be good to announce the team's chosen powers before each round since we only have 5 minutes to present lineups.

4) Like we mentioned last night, I think Single Elim may be the best way to go for a team tourney night. 5 hours was a pretty long night.
Mew
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mew »

I definitely agree that the tournament was indeed tremendous fun! Thank you for putting it together!

My only complaint, like all the others, was the tremendous length of time that it took up. Even long before the night was over, I was ready to curl up in a ball and brain-death myself to sleep. :(

If, in the future, more teams are to be involved, I would suggest not making it a single night event. Perhaps a variation of IFL might be in order. Though I do think it would be spectacular if teams were able to come to a group agreement on getting together to do their match-ups on a single night, instead of single player match-ups arranging to do it whenever during the week. I rather liked all team members being present to do all in one shot, instead of a handful here and there. Maybe tournament rounds could be set up on certain days? I don't know how well that would work out for everybody's individual schedules, though.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Great feedback so far, thanks guys!

So what I'm getting... the DE idea was a bust, especially for a one night event. A few questions that are coming to mind if anyone wants to answer them.

If it were a multi week thing a la IFL, would that be more preferable than say a single elim one night event?

Would you like to see the fights weighted differently so that they carry more importance based on who you put in, more strategy you know?

Did you all like the 3 fight format... and going forward possibly with a 4 person team that way people can actually be rotated through?
KC
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by KC »

Claire Farron wrote:If it were a multi week thing a la IFL, would that be more preferable than say a single elim one night event?
Multi-week is worth a try. It could lead to more teams since maybe not everyone could be around for a single night.
Claire Farron wrote:Would you like to see the fights weighted differently so that they carry more importance based on who you put in, more strategy you know?
+
Claire Farron wrote:Did you all like the 3 fight format... and going forward possibly with a 4 person team that way people can actually be rotated through?
I enjoyed the best two out of three. Having 3 min to 4 max and letting the captain pick and choose out of three for a line up would be pretty slick. If it's done with 4 fights per match up, then a point system kinda like IFL might be better.

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”