Press Statement: Dragon's Gate Orphanage

Seek the places where light meets dark, there you will find tales of inexplicably intertwined realms both near and far.

Moderators: King, Claire Gallows, Cooper Gallows

Shadowlord
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Press Statement: Dragon's Gate Orphanage

Post by Shadowlord »

The scene before the Dragon's Gate Orphanage was controlled bedlam, with press vehicles and notable reporters of Rhy'din gathered before a small stage which had been set up in front of the heavily secured youth's sanctuary. On the stage were Shadow, Claire, and Zack, arrayed with the elf in the forefront, one hand resting on a lectern.

"Before any of you worthy reporters asks, this will simply be a statement. Neither myself, nor any officer of Dragon's Gate Orphanage, will answer questions during this statement or thereafter." There was a low grumble from various points in the gathered crowd, whilst the flash of photographers' cameras flicked a random pattern.

"There are many around the city who are concerned, to say the last, that Vanion Shadowcast is rumored to be fighting for Top Flight, in the current season of the Iron Fists League. Harris D'Artainian, captain of Top Flight, has made assertions that Vanion is in fact alive, and has been for some time. With all due respect to Mr. D'Artainian, we here at the Orphanage would like to soothe any fears that might arise from this irresponsible assertion. Vanion Shadowcast is dead. Myself, and my allies gathered here, Claire Caelum and Zack Alcar, witnessed this death, and in fact helped bring it about."

There was a sudden uproar, as multiple reporters began babbling the questions that Shadow had already forbidden. With a sharp slap of his hand to the lectern, a thunderclap of sound rolled forth, and the elf's voice boomed, "SILENCE!" His eyes were hard, his features stony and cold. "I said, no questions." A few of the assembled press, having been knocked to the ground by the elf's thunder, rose shakily to their feet. An almost utter silence descended on the gathering.

"Harris speaks of matters of courts and laws, but this is not, and never was, a matter for the Watch, who as a group was helpless to stop the necromancer's depredations. Those of us gathered here, and others who I will not name out of respect for their privacy, took the old code of Rhy'din City to heart and took what action justice, and the children of this city, required. To remind those who have not lived here long, 'A city without laws, is governed by honor'; the old code, the code upon which this metropolis was founded."

Claire and Zack stood silent, stolid as ever, and as stone-faced as the elf. Not even a birdcall could be heard over the ambient hush. Shadow looked around, scanning faces, before continuing.

"Therefore, the essence of our statement is this. Vanion is dead. Whatever facsimile that Harris discovered is not the real necromancer who preyed for too long on the innocents of this city. It may look like Vanion, and - time will tell - may even fight like Vanion. But it is not him. If Vanion does return, rest assured: we here will know, and take appropriate action. Let this serve as a warning to those who would recklessly throw fear back into the hearts of the city's residents. That is all that I have to say at this time."

A few mouths opened, then shut, the press having heeded the earlier warning of the elf's wrath. More cameras flashed, then, as the three on the stage descended from it, and soon disappeared into the fortress that was Dragon's Gate Orphanage.
"Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate; and though I have oft passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Shadowlord
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Shadowlord »

Shadow stood alone on the front porch of the Dragon's Gate orphanage, on a small raised platform behind a lectern. He'd called a press conference, though little more than a dozen reporters had arrived at the early hour he'd designated. Perhaps some of the others still remembered the ire he'd displayed during his last public statement.

"Good morning, and thank you all for being here. I'll keep this short and sweet. And remember, this is a statement, not a discussion."

Laughter, some of it nervous, greeted his opening words. He leaned one hand against the lectern, and continued.

"Recently the Scathachian known as Isuelt de Romiano brought to the orphanage several young women who she'd rescued from slavery and prostitution. I would like her to know that the girls are all in good health, and being well tended by the staff at the orphanage. On behalf of all of us here, I wish to thank Isuelt and the Scathachians for this latest display of their strength and heroism."

He paused, taking a moment to meet the eyes of each of the reporters. Nervous feet shifted amongst the gathered press, but none moved.

"Let it also be known that we at the Dragon's Gate Orphanage extend our full support to the Scathachians in all such matters. Isuelt, you and your sisters may always find safe haven and aid within these walls. Any possible assistance we may offer, is yours."

Another pause, and his eyes grew cold, glowing blue and churning as if with banked storm clouds. His angular features were hard as stone.

"Furthermore, let it be known that any, no matter their station, wealth, or power, who are found to be engaging in the abuse and exploitation of children, will be met with the harshest measures possible. The Dragon's Gate Orphanage is a place of mercy and healing, but there will be no mercy offered those who would prey upon the youth, upon the future of our city. That is all. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for your time."

No questions erupted as the elf turned, the lights of camera flashbulbs flickering silently as he made his way back into the orphanage.
"Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate; and though I have oft passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun." -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “Through the Never”