The Nexus Adventures.

Stories of the those from House Dragoon Talanador, the Company of the Dragon and the Tavern itself.

Moderator: G

G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

The Nexus Adventures.

Post by G »

The Nexus.

Many people have their own ideas as to what the Nexus is. It's a portal, a mist, a flash of light, it's unseen, or it just is. Ultimately, what the Nexus is, is a connection from one reality to another. Realities that exist everywhere. It's how a Roman Legionnaire is able to interact with an officer from a starship. How an Elf is able to have a political debate with a girl from New York City. It's how two or more types of people from incredibly different origins are able to co-exist within the same realm.

That realm is Rhydin. Where everyone can be from anywhere, even Rhydin, and the one constant is the Nexus. It pulls people in, as well as takes them away. It makes nearly everything imaginable possible.

And, as in the case of our hero, G'nort Dragoon-Talanador, it makes anything that would normally seem strange and unusual, commonplace and unsurprising.

The following stories are going to be the adventures of our Hero, and what happens when a discovery is made that makes all possible things, easier.
Last edited by G on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

GnomCorp.

On the content island Nation of Urnst, there are a few mountain ranges. Located in one of these mountains is a significant dwelling of Gnomes. When G'nort discovered this horde of Gnomes residing in the land he was placed in charge of, he knew he would have to have these creatures on his side, or risk their becoming allies of a competitor.

So, cheerfully, G played nice with the chieftain of the Gnomes and offered them free reign to tinker to their hearts delight, and even offered financial support for their varied experiments. All he asked for in return, was that their inventions be useful and made available to the people of Urnst, within reason. Of course, there could be some militaristic value to some of their tinkering, as well.

He named this project.. "GnomCorp." The Gnomes loved it. They thought it was brilliant that something so complicated and what would most likely be composed of many, many words could be nailed down to one simpler, small word.

There were several divisions to GnomCorp. From machinery and weapons manufacturing to transportation and salvage departments. Each division had specific jobs that filtered down into other jobs and all were connected coherently in a system that only the Gnomes knew for sure about.

One of these divisions had been working on a teleportation system to transfer large shipments at a much quicker rate than moving across country via standard train or carriage system. It was this group that inadvertently tapped into the power of the Nexus and thus made it possible to accurately navigate the space/time continuum.

Now, it tends to take a lot of energy and square footage to create a portal to any realm of existence, but the Gnomes had been able to generate that power from a steam system that only took up a few ten thousands of square footage beneath one of the mountains which, as luck would have it, had an underground river which provided not only the water to create the steam, but to also use as a coolant for the portal itself, as well as a connection to another mountain that was a dormant volcano that would provide the heat and thermal energy required to power such a device.

Naturally, the Gnomes made G'nort aware of this portal and he made sure funds were allocated to keep the portal system running consistently and in as stable a state as possible, while providing the security to maintain secrecy of such a creation as quiet as humanly, gnomishly, and being-ly possible. As far as he was aware, no one knew of the existence of this portal, nor was he aware of any other controlled portals.(Of course this could be due to the security surrounding the secrecy of those portals, too.)

There was once a time when G'nort had already used this portal to travel to a city known as Paragon, located on an alternate Earth in the country of the United States of America in a State known as Rhode Island. This was where a business associate and friend, Tareth Thorn, had been playing the hero and running his own agenda. He used the portal to keep in contact with Tareth, and, on occasion, accompanying him on a few jobs. This is where he acquired some additional steam technology such as the War Hulks and Jaeger Waefers that his military branch were currently developing. In Paragon there was a faction known as Nemesis who had already developed these mechanical monstrosities and G thought it'd be quite beneficial for use on Urnst.

Well, since it seemed that Project Paragon proved to be such a success, the next logical step seemed to be to attempt traveling to other dimensions and see what could exist and be used from there.

That is where these adventures take place.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

"So, All I do is twist this knob thing on my wrist and it will automatically bring me back here? That's pretty simple." He continued to tap on the dial and rub his thumb along the wristband while looking down at it. "Bit clunky, though."

"No, sir. When you twist it, it'll just yoink you out of where you're at and transfer you into another dimension. In order to get back to your origin location, by which, I mean here, you have to press the red button on the top two times and then turn the dial counterclockwise, then press the green button three times. Whatever you do, don't press the yellow button after the orange, or the green button after the blue. We don't know what they'll do yet."

"'Yoink'? Is that an industry term? And wait, what? Don't press the orange after the green or the blue and yellow? Does this thing come with a manual? That's not very efficient for emergency situations. Are you sure this is safe?" G gave a seriously questionable look to the Gnomish head of development.

"Yoink is most assuredly an industrial term. Much like 'Dead on balls accurate.' We've said it many times before without complaint!" He seemed excitable. "And of course it's safe! Why wouldn't it be? I mean, we tried it on a couple of lab rats and a platypus as well as an octopus and monkey, but apparently they couldn't figure out the code to get back so.. well, we're sure they're alright! However, since you have the easy to follow pattern, it should be a-okay!" He started to push G towards the open portal. "C'mon, c'mon!"

"Keep your tiny little shirt on, you technological terror! I still want a manual!" He pushed back the entire time.

"Fine, fine! Here!" And with that, he stuffed a pamphlet into G's pocket just as he got sucked into the vortex of the massive tap into the Nexus.

"Daaaammmnnn yoouuuuuuu, Gnoooooommmmeeeessss!" Trailing off. He's gonna be mad when he gets back.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

*THUNK!*

That was the sound of G hitting a wooden deck. With a groan, he stood up and dusted himself off, looking down at both his appearance and the wrist device.

"Little bastard could have at least let me get ready. I don't even have that many supplies!" G grumbled. Then he started hearing unsteady footfalls approaching him. It was at that time he looked up at his unfamiliar, yet somewhat familiar, surroundings.

Ahh, the ocean. The salty scent of the air. He was on a ship. What was that smell with it? Oh. Pirates.

"I could have sworn we were alone on this fine ship prior to a few moments ago, William. Is the rum gone?" Came a slurred voice.

"We were. Perhaps it's another stowaway? He's not dressed as one of the King's men." And then there was a sword pointed at him.

"Whoa, whoa there, boys! I don't know who you are or who you think I am, but I just happen to be here by mistake!" G hoped that he had that code correct. He wasn't in a position to check that pamphlet that's stuffed in his pocket. He quickly pressed the red button once, turned the dial clockwise, and then the green button.

As he began to dematerialize, he heard the slurred voice quickly start to say "Don't know who I am? Why, I'm Captain Jac......"
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

He began to reform. But this time it was a very cramped space, dark, cold and unwelcoming. He didn't like it at all, so he figured he must have done something wrong with the controls.

Before he was completely solid, he heard a deep, mechanical voice speaking to himself. A sure sign of insanity.

"The Force is strong in this one."

"I have you now!"

Blindly touching his wrist and bumping whoever was at the controls, he pressed the yellow button, turned the dial counterclockwise, and then the red button three times.

"What?!" Came that deep, mechanical voices surprised exclamation.

As he dematerialized this time, he could swear he saw what appeared to be a small moon suddenly explode from the window of whatever ship he had just been in.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

It was suddenly very, very cold. The atmosphere seemed to be quite thin, as well. G was not dressed for this kind of weather, at all.

A man dressed in black, with long hair and looking far too young to be as serious as he was stood nearby, not facing G. He was speaking to some others who hadn't noticed G had appeared.

"And when the White Walkers approach, we don't have the men or the dragonglass to stop them. It's all I can do to hope that they can't climb The Wall."

G was tinkering with the buttons rapidly, twisting the dial, and then pressing the green button, disappearing as he let out a quick.. "Oh, HELL no!"
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

"Sonuva... I swear when I get my hands around that scrawny little... He's gonna pay. Oh yes, I will make him pay!"

G grumbled, finally getting a chance to get his wits about him. His current location was not known to him, but it seemed quiet enough. There didn't appear to be any people around, the air was breathable, and it allowed him to sit and lean back against the outcropping of rock.

At least the bright moon would allow him a moment or two to finally read through that pamphlet. He took a deep breath and withdrew it from his pocket.

"Ahh, those gnomes. At least they kept it short and sweet and to the point. Well, providing they wrote everything down properly. Always a risk. Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start? What kind of a stupid code is that? Left, left, half circle, A? Ugh, they didn't write the reasons for these... where's the color coded ones?"

Flipping through the few pages. "Ahh, here. And it's labeled! Thank goodness. Red twice, counterclockwise, green thrice. Ah, no wonder I didn't get it right the first annoyingly several times... what's that?"

Suddenly he heard a whoosh and the sound of something heavy landing, followed by the cawing of some crows. Then.. voices. He edged around the rock and began to eavesdrop.

"Where is the Tesseract?"

Laughing was then heard. "I missed you too."

The first voice became icy. "Do I look to be in a gaming mood?"

"Oh, you should thank me. With the Bifrost gone, how much dark energy did the Allfather have to muster to conjure you here, your precious Earth?" Spoken with a hint of condescension. Who was this 'Allfather?'

"I thought you dead." The first voice became softer.

There was a sound of skepticism here. "Did you mourn?"

"We all did. Our father..."

"YOUR father! He DID tell you my true parentage, did he not?" Oh, this sounded a bit more interesting.

"We were raised together, we played together, we fought together. Do you remember none of that?" The first voice began to take a tone of desperation.

Now the second voice turned towards anger. "I remember a shadow, living in the shade of your greatness. I remember you tossing me into an abyss, I who was and should be king!"

"So you take the world I love as recompense for your imagined slights? No, the Earth is under MY protection, Loki!" Who speaks like this? But at least he had a name to go with the second voice. Sounds like a power struggle. G edged slightly closer to see if he could get a look at them.

Laughing once more, "And you're doing a marvelous job with that! The humans slaughter each other in droves, while you ideally threat. I mean to rule them. And why should I not?" G started to return to his original position.

"You think yourself above them?"

"Well, yes." A simple statement coming from the one called Loki.

"Then you miss the truth of ruling, brother. A throne would suit you ill." Brother, is it? But this Loki person seemed to imply that they didn't have the same father. Half-brother, maybe?

"I've seen worlds you've never known about! I have grown, Odin's Son, in my exile! I have seen the true power of the Tesseract, and when I wield it..." This is getting deep. G started to press the red button on his device.

"Who showed you this power? Who controls the would-be-king?" Oh, now this Odinson is just trying to provoke Loki. This is going to end into a fight.

"I AM a king!" Yelled Loki. Took Odinson's bait completely. How predictable. The dial is turned counter-clockwise.

"Not here! You give up the Tesseract! You give up this pointless dream!... You come home." It was quiet for a moment. G paused to listen. This was such an interesting argument.

"...I don't have it." Yeah, right. I don't believe it either, Odinson.

"You need the cube to bring me home, but I've sent it off, I know not where." This Tesseract sounds like a rather valuable device. Perhaps it's something he should look into after returning home. Which is probably a good idea, considering that if these two strangely speaking individuals knew G had a device that could possibly return someone home, they might attack, a position he was not prepared for.

"You listen well, brother. I..." The sudden sound of what was like one of those ships from Stars End Spaceport approached at incredible speed, and it seemed as though it took this Odinson person right along with it.

"I'm listening." That was snarky. G had to snicker at that before finally pressing the green button twice, allowing him to dematerialize and return back to Rhydin and the Project Paragon, where the gnomes would likely get a whoopin'. Maybe.

[The conversation between Loki and Odinson coming from The Avengers, and the quote page on IMDB. Credit where credit is due. Other stuff in there added by me, of course.]
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador

Return to “Golden Ivy Tavern”