Home of the (in)famous RhyDin Rewind!

Moderators: Seirichi, Harris

Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Top Flight Team Press

Post by Harris »

"Coming to you live from the main conference room of the glamorous Hotel Ritz in RhyDin's Seaside District, this is Amanda Cruz with Channel 14 news! We're gathered here today for a press conference called by Harris D'Artainian in relation to the newly re-christened Iron Fists League. He's about to take the stage momentarily..."

Camera pan. Zoooooom. Scattered applause dotted with the crackle of flashbulbs as Harris steps up to the podium.

"As I'm sure you've already heard, Swordplay Industries has renewed the six year defunct Iron Fists League and team registration has already begun. Never one to miss out on such a prime opportunity I've tapped into my resources to bring to you the league's next big marquee team!"

Applause.

"Sponsored by KLIT-AM 900, I will be helming the team with my RhyDin Rewind co-host, Seirichi, who needs no introduction because she's not as important as I am. As of this conference we have also acquired the Outback's most promising rising star, fresh off of gaining her first title, a True Mandalorian with no equal, Melanie Rostol!"

Mumuring. Applause break.

"The fourth member of our team just happens to be the man she beat for ShadoWeaver, a two-time Diamond in his own right and the owner of this hotel, Vincent Smith! If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Plus, this is officially his penance for challenging Seirichi when she was pregnant. No, I hadn't forgotten."

Harris winks. The crowd chuckles.

"No team can stay afloat without veteran experience and wisdom one can only gain with age. As one of the few men that can claim to have actually aged in this town, and quite poorly at that, we've acquired the winner of Diamond Quest 19, Huma Evilbane! He's still very spry folks. Trust me on that."

Thumbs up given to the crowd. More murmuring.

"Since every team needs a healthy diet and a chef to administer it, we've brought on the proprietor of Omelettes O'Plenty, the only man powered entirely by cartwheels, Corlanthis Wystansayr! We were going to grab Nayun to do the team's cooking but... she stares too much."

Applause.

"Last but not least we round the team out with a relative unknown. Why? Because every team needs a dangerous X factor that can tip the scales in their favor. For us that's Dean "Aces Up" Reighland! Never heard of him? Good! It'll be like fighting in the dark for all the other teams!"

Harris pauses long enough to soak up another round of applause and take a sip of water.

"With all this talent under one roof there's only one appropriate name for this team. So, I would like to officially announce the formation of... TOP FLIGHT! Uniforms have already been hand-crafted and distributed for the upcoming season. If you'd like a glimpse all you have to do is focus stage left... my left... toward the lovely Miss Suki Slider."

Much like an experienced runway model Suki strides confidently across the short expanse of stage to the left of the podium, clad in a pair of stiletto heels and a brown leather flight jacket, completely opened and unzipped at the front to expose a lacy undergarment underneath. A pair of fuschia tinted aviators complete the uniform. She steps, spins, blows the gathering a kiss, then saunters off the stage to riotous applause.

"The heels won't be included, obviously. Though the unzipped jacket will be standard uniform policy for our female fighters."

Harris grins. The crowd laughs.

"That's all for today folks! All our fighters will be available for individual interviews if you have questions! Thank you!"

Harris exits stage left, seemingly following Suki's path.

"The excitement at the return of the Iron Fists League is palpable! We're going to see if we can get an interview or any information from this team of fighters!"
Bane
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Bane »

The young up-and-coming reporter, James Stanley, stood across from his experienced cameraman, shaking his head and muttering. "I don't know why they gave me the Iron Fist Academy. Why not Jessica? That noob gets to cover the In Your Face booth!"

The cameraman, Robert Mirra, had been at his job for over a decade; he knew that planning team had reasons for every tiny detail of their final posts. Even so, Robert had no problem with standing in the Academy. Had James not even been outside? Before leaving the news van, the local forecast had reported that it was 31 degrees and overcast. Those conditions were not favorable for the aging man's joints.

The announcement of the final score rang out and reached the Academy, causing both men to look up. Stanley smirked and shook his head again. "Obviously Miss Queen won. Not only is she hot and rich, but she can fight, too!" It was only a matter of seconds before the man had lowered his head and gone back to muttering. Mirra only caught a few words, but could only guess that James was lamenting the fact that he could not be out in the sub-freezing temperatures, trying to schmooze it up with the billionaire.

Mirra's eyes fell on the ornate door facing the IFL Garden as it swung open and the man stepped through. A wide grin played at
his features as he turned his attention back to the young Mr. Stanley. Noting that Stanley was still too self-absorbed in his lamentations to notice, he cleared his throat pointedly as he swung the camera up onto his shoulder.

As though waking up from a dream, James raised his head, puzzled, and glanced at his cameraman, who was already taking action. Looking around, confused, he finally caught sight of Bane, who was strolling through the Academy at a leisurely pace and looking around, his brown Top Flight bomber jacket slung over his arm. He spared a quick glance to Mirra and gave a hushed whisper, "On me! On me!" suddenly taking on a confident tone and smug look as though he had planned the entire encounter.

Bane was in no hurry to go anywhere in particular. Harris had suggested that he get a few duels in at the Outback, but he had guessed that the Outback would probably be pretty empty, given that there were more IFL duels on the cards. He casually made his way through the Iron Fist Academy, stopping to look at a few of the pictures on the wall. An unfamiliar voice rang out "Bane! Bane!" His attention snapped toward the two men in the lobby, and he realized their intent. The warrior sighed to himself, having taken the circuitous route through the Academy to avoid the press. Adopting a stoic demeanor, Bane decided to hurry and get this unpleasant experience behind him, and hope for greater success in avoiding the press in the future. His strides carried him across the floor to stand at the young man's side, across from the large camera. With an expectant look, he turned on James.

The excitement of actually getting an interview at this post belied James' overconfidence, and he started with the weak post-fight cliche, "How are you feeling?" Bane's responding flat look lasted several seconds, causing the young man to realize the foolishness of his opener. Finally responding, Bane spoke into the microphone that was unceremoniously shoved into his face. "I feel like I was just beaten"

"Right!" James quipped, snatching the microphone away from Bane again to speak into it. He stared into the camera, remembering his bearings, and flashed a white smile. "We are here with Bane, a middleweight of Top Flight. Bane, Clarice Queen, owner of Queen Enterprises and current current middleweight of Asian Invasion, just defeated you in the Iron Fist bout. She won 5 to 3."

Bane gave the young man another prolonged stare before answering, "I am aware of that."

Stanley took a beat before he flashed that too-wide smile at the camera again, following up with "What do you think led to Clarice's victory this evening?"

Bane, still keeping his stoic demeanor, even with all the inane questions and comments, answered "She hit me more than I hit her. That usually leads to a win."

Stanley quickly hit him with a follow-up question. "Do you think Top Flight will be able to recover from this early loss and mount a comeback?"

A little more comfortable with this question, Bane looked into the camera and gave a small grin. "I have confidence in my teammates. I believe our lineup this week is strong, and I do expect Top Flight to mount a comeback and cover my loss."

"Do you have a message to Miss Queen?"

Refusing to be baited into any unnecessary banter by the over-eager upstart, Bane keeps his answer simple. "You dueled well this evening, Clarice. Well dueled and won. Your team should be proud."

Feeling as though he had caught a dud, James turned his head far enough so that the camera would not catch his scowl at Bane as he finished with "Do you have any final thoughts?"

The microphone shoved back into his face, Bane chuckled at the effect he had on the young man. "I do, actually. Thank you. I knew coming in that Clarice would be a tough opponent. Asian Invasion has a strong roster, and Miss Queen is certainly a star. Tonight was Clarice's night, and she beat me in the Iron Fist bout. However, although most people probably do not realize it.. or would not believe it, Harris is an excellent strategist, as well as team captain. Top Flight will be in the playoffs this season, because of his leadership and the strength of our own roster. Look out for our team, because even when we are down, we are never out. Go Top Flight!" The warrior flashes one final grin into the camera and exits the camera frame, heading out the door of the Iron Fist Academy.

The camera panned slightly to the side, centering on the young reporter once more. "There you have it, folks. Bane with Top Flight not only claiming a playoff berth, but possibly the championship?"

Mirra slid the switch, fading the camera to black. He slowly lowered the device, staring at the young man that he had previously seen as a protege. He did not say a word, but the sharp glare spoke volumes.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

"Why yes, Top Flight does have two candidates for MVP, myself & Dean, as well as two for Rookie of the Year, Bane & Dean. Which means the price of an autograph for all three of us has just gone up."

Harris grinned. He was used to grinning at this point, on what had to have been his fourth... no, fifth interview since the nominations were made public. The questions were all the same.

Who did he think deserved Rookie of the Year the most between his two teammates?

"Oh, that's easy. They should fight for it. It is a fighting league, isn't it?"

What did he think of the third nominee for Rookie of the Year, Lena Choi, and her impressive season?

"Who?"

Would losing MVP to Jake Thrash be a bitter pill considering their history?

"Top Flight is taking home some hardware this season guaranteed, be it a league title, Rookie of the Year, Most Valuable Player, or the coveted Kiowa Belt. At the end of the day that's what matters."

And, of course, what were his predictions for the first week of the playoffs?

"Frankly, I think Aenlyn should cut Rakeesh loose and let him rampage all across the Garden and Team Fist. That's probably their best chance anyway. As for the other match, I'm not going to bet against hot asian chicks. Why would I?"

His face began to ache from the grinning. Next season he'd hire someone to perform all the team press rather than commuting between RhyDin and Adenna. He drifted through the remainder of his interviews, daydreaming about a scantily clad press secretary to do his bidding.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

It's a lot easier to do press when you're winning. Or, more accurately, not losing. But it didn't take long for Darik Warchild's 5-4 win over Huma Evilbane to come down the wire, along with the rumblings of Team Fist Nation as they leapt into the finals against the Badside Brawlers. And just like that, the season was over. As soon as he stepped foot into RhyDin the next day the reporters were ready and waiting to hurl questions and take his statement. For once, he was actually wearing the team bomber jacket, collar popped, aviators dangling from a breast pocket. He looked surly. Sounded gruff. Responded defensively. Every question was a stinger.

Where was the hardware he promised the team would bring home?
Why didn't he use Dean Reighland against Team Fist?
Did his relationship with Seirichi skew his judgment in regards to using her?
Did he feel the majority of his team underperformed?
Would Top Flight even be returning next season?

The last question gave him pause. And after a moment, it actually elicited a smile to accompany his response.

"Oh, you're damn sure Top Flight will be back next season. We'll be back. We'll be better. And I'll get my damn parade."

Now he had a task for the off season that didn't involve sulking. But he was still going to hire someone else to do press.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

There was no grand roster unveiling for season 4 of IFL. Top Flight's lineup had leaked early, and the inevitable media circus sprang up in relation to one singular topic; the acquisition of Vanion Shadowcast. Having secured the Red Dragon Great Hall for Top Flight's first press conference of the 2014-15 season, Harris stood alone behind a podium of microphones, team bomber jacket halfway unzipped.

"Even though it's already known in most circles, I'd still like to take a moment to formally announce Top Flight's roster for this season. Obviously I've returned to helm the team, and this year Huma Evilbane will be my assistant captain. After a standout season, Dean Reighland will be returning. Vincent Smith has also agreed to return. We've also bolstered our roster with sophomore Jin Sin and yes... Vanion Shadowcast will indeed be fighting for us this season." Harris announced sedately before pausing to brace for a barrage of questions. It took a moment for the official news to sink in for the gathered media, who eagerly began to pop up from their seats like whack-a-moles. Harris started in the front row.

"Many outlets reported Vanion as having died earlier this year. How did you come across him?" Came the question from a portly, balding reporter whose press pass denoted he worked for the Old Temple Observer.

"He was missing, not dead. Granted that usually means the same thing in this town, but there's always an exception. This is one of them. As for where I found him, well, he was busting heads in the underground scene. I keep my ear close to the ground, so after I caught wind of it I went to go see if the rumors were true." Harris shrugged. Another question came.

"You don't have a problem with a convicted murderer on your team?" A reporter blurted from the back row.

"Convicted? Where? I don't know of any convictions. Accusations? Sure. TOP is nowhere near the only team that has fighter or two with blood on their hands. As long as he doesn't murder anyone in the ring, I don't see the problem."

"What about your teammates? Won't they take issue with having Vanion on the squad?"

"Unless he has plans to murder them at some point during the season, again, I don't see the issue. It's not much of a jump for most of the team to go from fighting Vanion for years in the Outback to fighting with him in the Iron Fists Garden." Harris waved a hand dismissively.

"What about Seirichi? Why isn't she coming back to assistant captain this season?" Chirped a sports reporter from the third row.

"Uhh, because she's lazy. Next question."

"Why are you only running a six-man squad this year instead of a full roster?"

"Because we don't need seven. With BAD not returning, TOP is the team to beat, hands down. We've got so much talent this year all a seventh man would do is spend the season sitting on the bench." Harris raised his hands. "Alright, I think that's enough for the time being. If you have any other questions or would like to secure an interview with any of my fighters, you know where to find me."

Harris meandered away from the podium, massaging his temples while seriously debating hiring a press manager.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

Unlike the previous year the press was fully prepared for the 2014-15 season of IFL. No piece of information remained confidential for long. Case in point, even though he hadn't made any official announcement in relation to Top Flight not participating in the Iron Fists Parade the media was nevertheless still ready to accost him on the street with questions. Golden apple in hand, he paused to address a sharply dressed, but otherwise generic looking reporter.

"So, why isn't Top Flight participating in the festivities for the new season, specifically not having a float in the parade?"

"Floats and parades are all part of a proper victory celebration. And that's when you'll see a Top Flight float, when we bring home the championship. We'll probably also have some sweet jets and that rock & roll I hear the kids are into." Harris responded before taking a bite out of his golden apple.

"Do you have any plans to contribute to the activities planned to help usher in the season?"

"Uhh, like what?" Harris squinted.

"Like, representing your team at the rally?"

"How does that help us win the championship?" Harris countered.

"Well, it's good publicity. For you, your team, for the league..."

"You know what's better publicity?"

"What?"

"WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP." Harris reached out to pat the nondescript reporter on the head, then he wandered away, signalling the conclusion of the brief interview.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

"No comment."

He was starting to sound like a broken record. It was only the first week of league dueling and he was already certain he'd need to invest in a family sized bottle of aspirin just to deal with the reporters that harried him whenever he was in RhyDin. As always, they were quick to find him on the streets.

"What happened before Vanion's match with Cassius? There are reports of some kind of apparition appearing..." A flaxen haired male asked, thrusting a microphone beneath Harris's chin.

"No comment."

"According to the pre-season rankings Top Flight was listed as the best team in the league, while the Discombobulators were ranked 8th. Did the outcome this week surprise you?"

"That's a stupid question. You just ruined it for everyone else because now I'm not even gonna say no comment. I'm just gonna leave and start prepping for week two," Harris explained. "Next week I'm gonna bring a carton of eggs when I come to town and pelt anyone that feels the need to ask an obviously stupid question." Harris shoved a microphone away from his face and continued down the street.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

"Suck it. We won."

Harris grinned as he pulled away from the bouquet of microphones arranged neatly on the podium in front of him. He alone represented Top Flight at the day after press conference, team bomber jacket halfway unzipped. Having announced in advance he wasn't fielding questions, instead he'd utilize the time to make a statement or two.

"I also made enough money this season to buy a yacht."

There was a momentary pause as he considered what other information was worth disseminating.

"Uhh, congrats to all the other teams that weren't good enough to win on their seasons, et cetera. Our ticker tape parade is scheduled for next week. Probably Monday. That float you didn't see at the start of the season, you'll get a chance to see now. So tell your bosses to give you that day off work, it's officially a holiday."

Harris exhaled a long breath, certain there was more. Instead he simply shrugged and grinned again at the gathered reporters.

"Did I mention I made enough money this season to BUY A YACHT?"
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

A couple of reporters had been hanging around the lobby of the Ritz in hopes of catching Vincent as he walked by. Normally, he hated dealing with the press, but since the season was over he didn't see the harm in answering a few questions. He gave a whistle from across the lobby to get their attention and walked over to the barrage of questions.

"Mr. Smith! How does it feel now that TOP has won the title?"

He shook his head. How predictable and basic. "How do you think? Whether it's TDL, which I hope returns someday soon, or IFL, anytime you can walk away with a championship is a good day. When it's my week to have the trophy, I'll be sure to put it here in the lobby so you all can take pictures with it."

"Mr. Smith! How do you explain the dramatic turnaround in your performance this season? There are rumors of performance enhancing drugs and enchantments floating around. Are they true?"

"Preposterous! I've got two diamonds and 4 opals to my name. I was already dueling at a high level. Know what made the difference? Taking a sabbatical from regular dueling to keep my mind focused on the season and Harris being a great captain and finding a niche that fit me perfectly. 6-0 in Crutch bouts this season. You've got one more question, so make it good."

"Will you be back for the next season? Seeing as how you're a rare sight in the dueling rings these days."

"I originally joined TOP because Harris was the only captain with the smarts to recruit me. I'll stick around as long as he wants me, I keep performing, and no one offers a big enough bribe to make me jump ship." He winked and chuckled a bit before shooing them away and heading back up to the penthouse.
Who would have thought that becoming God would prove to be such a hollow victory? -Thanos of Titan
Michi
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Michi »

It wouldn't be Harris D'Artainian who took the podium when the announcement of the 2014 Iron Fist League MVP had been made.

A young woman climbed up onto the stage and stood in front of the podium. The MVP Award taken in her hand and weighed from one palm, to the other, with simple - easy tosses. Some in the crowd prepared for the girl to drop it, with cameras ready to snap shots; while others moved away to allow security easier access to try and quell this disrespectful display.

"Harris can't make it to pick up his awards. If this time is anything like my time, he's probably preoccupied with being asleep, or something. Anyway! I'll accept these on his behalf, since I'm his blood and all."

"So, uh.. Thanks for this," Michi took a moment to read the award. "MVP thing.. and," another pause to pick up the second: the Playoff MVP award. "This one too."

Some in the crowd started speaking up. Michi shrugged. "I'm not answering any questions. So, uh, yeah. You all have fun with your TDL thing or whatever."

"IFL, Michi. IFL." Addie's loud whispers came from the very front where she stood.

"I meant to say IFL! I know what I'm talking about! It's all babby **** anyway." She turned her attention back to the crowd. "Look, I'm going to take good care of these. And by take good care of, I mean I'm going to throw them into the ocean the second I get to Seaside!"

The security were finally able to make their way onto stage. Michi took that as her sign to bolt. So, with Addie a few quick steps behind her, the spawn of Harris and Seirichi made her escape.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

No longer a resident of RhyDin after moving to Adenna two years prior, Harris could only be classified as an infrequent visitor in the here and now. His business in the city consisted of seeing his son, being seen on his yacht, or being seen at the links. He was teeing up on the 14th hole when an intrepid sports reporter weaseled his way onto the course. It wasn't an unfamiliar sight for the blue-haired brawler, who barely glanced up from the tee to acknowledge the wiry, spectacled journalist invading his space to ask what he assumed would be a barrage of dueling related questions.

"Harris! With IFL looming is Top Flight prepared to defend their championship this year?"

Harris swiveled his hips in a practice swing before responding.

"Nah. We won last year. And I got a yacht out of it in the process. I'm good."

"...what? Are you saying Top Flight won't be competing in the 2015 season?" The man leaned forward in anticipation of an answer.

"Uhh..." Harris lifted his club to rest on his shoulder briefly. "Yeah. I guess I should've called a press conference or something when I disbanded the team. My bad. On the bright side, you've got an exclusive story!" Harris grinned, then proceeded to slice his drive into a sand trap.

"Do you have any ideas as to where the other members of the team will go... or if they'll even be competing this season?"

"I dunno. But I bet if you find them and ask your boss will give you a raise. I'd suggest loitering around the Ritz. Also, if you have any TOP merchandise it's about to be worth a fortune. You're welcome."

Harris snickered, then dismissed the reporter with a wave of his hand and began trekking across the lush green.

Return to “KLIT-AM 900 Radio”