Be Still, My Mind

Seek the places where light meets dark, there you will find tales of inexplicably intertwined realms both near and far.

Moderators: King, Cooper Gallows, Claire Gallows

Addie
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Be Still, My Mind

Post by Addie »

Yikicd Aekrdaahdr (August 18th)

That was dumb. Let’s start again. I was never much for diary keeping. I never saw the point of putting my words to paper, never saw a reason to confide my deepest darkest secrets in a physical object. But more and more I think if I want to get my head on straight that I first need to empty it of all the excess that lingers there. So here I am, sitting on the fire escape so I can write without Kane wondering what’s going on. I’m doing this for him, you know. So maybe he won’t have to listen to my shit anymore. He’s got enough on his plate, he doesn’t need to be looking after me too.

I think he’s going to work soon, something out near the spaceport so he could be gone awhile. He wants me to work with him, thinks I’d be happier. I think he’d just feel better knowing he can keep an eye on me all of the time. It’d be fun… working with your boyfriend you know, but probably a bad idea. We need the money I make and I guess I’m not wholly keen on leaving my livelihood up to the guy I go home to every night. Is that weird? Mom and Dad worked together for a long time and seldom had issues so I dunno. Who ****ing knows, I’ve got no clue.

I think this writing shit is just making me more confused. Maybe I should start over or something. Again. I bought this pretty purple journal from this little corner shop in the old part of the market on my way home. It was only like eight silver and the cover’s got little stars that twinkle at night and the paper looks old but isn’t. It’s probably magicked and all and that means I probably shouldn’t write anything important in it, but c’est la vie. Okay, so where to start. The beginning is always good, right?

Okay.

The beginning.

Hmm.

So. My name’s Adelaide Victoria Alcar. Everyone calls me Addie and I don’t really get called Adelaide unless I’m in trouble. I’m a girl, duh, and I’m eighteen years old. I’ll be nineteen in
Vapniyno. That’s um, February. The 15th to be exact. A late Valentine’s present to my parents. Haha. Speaking of my parents, my dad’s name is Zack and my mom’s name is Raven. My mom passed away when I was eleven so it’s just me and my dad now. I don’t have any brothers or sisters. Nope. Only child. Lucky me right? I’ve got a pretty big extended family though. Lots of uncles and aunts and cousins and pretty much three whole realms worth of family. Some by blood, some by marriage, some by adoption, and some just because family is what you make of it.

I was born in 2014 (by the Rhydin calendar) in Provance, Nosgoth. So considering I’m writing this in 2015, how does that work? That’s a really good question. See, I came back to save the world.

You think I’m kidding. It looks absolutely ridiculous written down but Kane and I were sent back seventeen years in our past to try and stop what was happening in Nosgoth in what will be the future. Nosgoth’s not around here, it is its own realm that you usually have to take a portal to get to. But a lot of my family goes back and forth between Nosgoth and Rhydin and my parents are actually from there originally. But my dad was adopted by his “uncle” (not blood, just chosen family) and not long after, my dad and mom moved to Nosgoth and had me.

I was raised in Nosgoth almost exclusively. Most of the time in Provance, but I spent plenty of time all over the realm. My grandpa’s actually the King of Nosgoth which sorta makes me a princess, I guess. Kane only calls me that when I’m being a brat though so I don’t really like hearing it. My dad’s a prince but he won’t ever be king thankfully. I don’t think he’d really want to be anyways. If anything ever happens to my grandpa or he just decides he doesn’t want to be King anymore, my Uncle Raziel is next in line. He’s a twin but he’s older than Gabriel by a couple minutes so that makes him the heir. Uncle Gabe doesn’t really care though which is pretty nice. Makes it easier on the family and all. Then I had two aunts that would have been somewhere in the line after my dad but they were taken away a long time ago when the old Alliance fell apart. Pretty dark times, I guess.

But we’ve got new allies now and they call them the Trinity. Nosgoth is one third of it while a place called Lucis and a place called Valhalla are the other two thirds. It isn’t Valhalla like in the Norse mythology but rather a place my godmother rules over and watches over the cycle of life and shit. It's kinda tied to Lucis and the place my godmom's originall from. Lucis is where my godfather was from, another kingdom kind of like Nosgoth. I used to spend part of my summers there with my cousins. They aren’t actually my cousins. They’re my godparents’ kids but they might as well be my cousins. Avy and Alex are twins and they’re a little bit younger than me, not quite a year. Probably the closest thing I ever had to having a brother and sister. Especially after my mom died since they were around a whole lot more.

Man. That was like seven years ago. For a really long time, I didn’t remember much about mom dying but lately like the past six months, I think it’s coming back to me. Kane thinks it might just be nightmares but I think they mean more than that.

Yeah… the past six months or so has been kinda rough. I think it’s why I got this journal but now that I’m thinking about it, the words don’t want to come out. So maybe I’ll write about other stuff instead and hopefully that’ll free up some space for the stuff I can’t say.

It’s raining so I’m gonna go back inside. Maybe next time.
~Addie V. Alcar
Addie
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Addie »

Yikicd Hehadaahdr (August 20th)

It’s Yikicd and it’s already getting chilly. It makes me miss home really bad. It wouldn’t be this cold yet unless you were up in the mountains. Kane and I have been here for a little over a year and I don’t think we’re any closer to going home than we were when we showed up. Okay, well maybe a little. We at least know why we’re here now. Unfortunately we haven’t made any progress toward that goal. Mostly because it’s so vague that I haven’t the slightly idea where to start. I think Kane’s been trying to work on it in his down time but he doesn’t tell me about it. Mostly because he knows he shouldn’t be doing some of the stuff he is… like talking to his dad here.

Ugh. It could cause so much trouble… like. Crossing timelines is major bad juju and I already got yelled at once by my godmom here for doing it. I guess I really messed up there but I don’t really regret it. And when I explained that, she sorta laid off of the scolding thankfully. Back when I was really little like just a month or two old, my mom went missing and I guess some pretty bad stuff happened. My dad had to take care of me so my Auntie C went to find her. Nobody really talks about what happened but I from what I was able to find out, my mom had died so they took her to Valhalla and Auntie brought her back.

See, pretty hypocritical for her to get mad at me for bringing Sandy back. Oh yeah. I brought my friend Sandy back from the dead. That’s a really long story. But I suppose it’s worth telling. So, Sandy’s my best friend here other than Michi and Misery. He’s from Spain which is in Europe on Earth. Which Earth, I dunno, because there are so many of them from what I’ve found out… but yeah. We do a lot of talking about boys and letting him do my hair and stuff like that. He’s even teaching me Spanish! But moving on.

Last fall Sandy was on a fighting team in the Iron Fists League. My godmom’s team actually. Small world, right? Anyways. There’s another team in the league. I don’t remember what the team name was but anyways, Sandy had a thing for one of the guys on it. Oh, yeah, Sandy likes boys but it’s cool. Well, the guy’s got a boyfriend and didn’t really like Sandy coming on to him so strong. Which… yeah, okay. Sandalio’s a pretty strong personality. I just didn’t think it would escalate so far.

After a couple run ins between them… including Sandy freaking throwing a knife at one of their friends!!!!! who the fuck does that? Ugh. Evidently Sandy does. But that’s neither here nor there. Once IFL was over, Sandy got into a fight with one of their friends. A girl named Sabine something or other. But her friends followed them and I guess Sandy changed. He’s a lycan so if he gets hyped up enough, it’s kind of unavoidable, but he changed and hurt her. Which isn’t cool but that’s sorta expected when you go into a fight with a freaking werewolf. So her friends jumped in to help her.

They killed Sandy. Like bad. I mean, of course dying is always bad, but this was just bluh. I don’t wanna write it. I’ve been sitting here staring at that line for like an hour and the sun’s finally starting to come up. Maybe I should go in and make breakfast and try again tomorrow.

I don’t know.

I can’t keep hiding from it. Maybe writing it down will help get it off my chest. Maybe it’ll make the nightmares stop. May as well try. So where was I?

Oh yeah. Sandy died. They stabbed him with silver, right up into his brain. Silver’s really bad for someone like him. Kinda like dragonsbane would be for me. Then they
[the ink is smudged and unreadable]ght out of his chest. He died. Right there in the Outback. Hope, our dueling mentor, she was there and got ahold of his body before they could do anything worse.

In Rhydin people die all the time. Or they just go away and never come back. It’s the pitfall of being at such a central part of the Nexus, I guess. We should all be used to it by now. And I really thought I was going to get over it. I worked on training as much as I could and working and drinking and stuff. Then one day… I just sorta… fuck . I can’t even believe I’m about to write this.

Hope had been keeping his body in the Tower of Fire. Which is fucking terrifying and disgusting and brilliant all at once because while he wasn’t alive, the magic kept him from...getting squishy. And I guess I sorta freaked out. Only a little. So I decided to try something I saw in a book once. Ever since I was pretty little, they’ve been teaching me how to heal, particularly on the soul level. I guess my mom was pretty good at it. I’m not quite as good as she was but I’ve learned a lot.

If you do it right, you can also use it to revive someone when they’ve uh expired. It just takes the exchange of a life for a life and suitable vessel. So we had a sorta suitable vessel but I couldn’t like...go and kill something for the sake of bringing Sandy back. So we used a plant. Which totally sounds dumb but they’re living things too, just as much as people are. I was really worried I was going to mess it up or that I’d bring someone other than Sandy back to his body. Oh gods that would have been horrific.

Kruger and Hope made him a new heart. I didn’t ask about the specifics but we brought him back and patched him up. I about passed the fuck out, it took so much out of me. Worse yet, I saw everything he saw. Felt everything he felt. It’s making me want to throw up just thinking about it. It hurt so bad. I still have nightmares from it where I have to look at their faces. Ugh. I hate this. I ****ing hate it. I hate that if I stop running at 110%, they’re what I think about. I don’t even want to put their names into this book. Only this time. I’m going to get them out of my head and they can stay here and leave me alone.

Salvador said he was going to take Sandy’s eyes. Sandy has really pretty eyes… I can’t imagine him not having his eyes. He didn’t, but he did try to choke Sandalio. I don’t think Salvador is human, at least not fully. He’s pretty creepy, definitely not someone any sane person would want to be alone in a dark alley with. He’s the one that Sandy was hitting on during IFL. I don’t see what he saw in him, but whatever. Crispin’s the one that stabbed him. I don’t know his last name and he actually sorta looks kinda normal. Which is why it surprised me so much when I saw what he did. I guess he’s sorta like Uncle Victor...normal looking and quiet but not in a good way. Then Canaan. Ugh. They call him Cane like my Kane. I hate it. K > C, just for the record. He did Sandy in before Hope finally stepped in. I also think he got the most mad out of them when he found out Sandy was back and that it was my fault. Where Salvador is creepy, Canaan is terrifying in that sort of way a volcano is. I ran into him at the Inn one day and he told me off. Said I was messing with the balance and with things that I shouldn’t. That it didn’t matter if I missed Sandy that I was just supposed to deal with it.

My dad used to tell me that anger isn’t really anger but rather misguided pain. With how mad Canaan got, I wonder why he hurts. I still hate them. All of them.

But that’s my own pain to carry. I accept that.

Aunt Claire said bringing him back could have unforeseen consequences that I couldn’t fathom. That I could have changed the future. But as far as I’m concerned, killing him does the same thing. I don’t regret it.

I just hope he’s smart enough to keep to his promise not to start trouble again. I’m not sure if either of us would make it through a repeat.

I’m exhausted and I can’t even tell if I feel better. Ugh. I’m just gonna go smoke with Michi and hopefully take a nap.

More next time, I suppose.
~Adelaide V. Alcar
Addie
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Addie »

Cabdaspan Dfahdo-drent (September 23rd)

I’m writing from the comfort of a hotel suite that is way more expensive than we have any right spending money on. I have a perfectly nice apartment that we could have slept at but no, Kane insisted. After all, they have a hot tub and a sauna and room service here. Supposedly I deserved it. Why, I don’t know. I lost after all.

Lost. Fuck I hate losing. A long time ago, before I was born, my god mom briefly held a title in the Duel of Fists called an Opal. It’s a similar status to Barons and Keepers, but rather than a manor or a tower, you get a rock. I know it doesn’t sound that cool, but there are rumors that these stones each have personalities and powers of their own. There’s FireStar and IceDancer, MoonBeryl and PathFinder, and finally ShadoWeaver. FireStar and IceDancer are fire and ice as their name implies. MoonBeryl is the yellow rock and as I understand it, is inclined toward air as an element. PathFinder is the green one, meant for earth or living things. Of course, ShadoWeaver is just like it sounds. The black rock… man. That’s the one I want.

I’ve challenged twice now for ShadoWeaver and both times lost. The first time was halfway promising… I was one round away from winning. This time… ugh. It was a ****ing disaster. Horrible. Absolutely horrific performance on my part.

I had no right to try again. None at all. I shouldn’t be so… drawn. I guess that’s the best word for it. Like maybe the black rock could help me. That’s the one Auntie held just before I was born. It wasn’t for long and she said she would never again go for it… so that begs the question of why I would bother. Like I said, perhaps it can help. Help with what…

That’s the million dollar question.

Ever since I brought Sandy back, I’ve got this second shadow that won’t go away even in the dark. I have always had a connection to shadow as an element, something I can thank my dad for, so I don’t know why it bothers me so badly. It’s like walking through water or maybe tar even. Like I’m moving in slow motion. I haven’t found an explanation yet but it wears on me. As if I can’t get enough sleep no matter how hard I try. I’ve looked in a thousand books for something, anything really, that can lessen the effects but nothing has panned out.

So I’ve been self medicating. I think Kane’s only slightly aware of it but mostly blissfully ignorant, like if he doesn’t acknowledge it, it isn’t happening. He’d probably be pretty disappointed if he knew the extent of it, but hey, what can you do. Sometimes you have to compromise in order to survive. Speaking of… Yuri says he’s got something new that he thinks he might help. Hopefully I can meet up with him sooner rather than later… the sleeping pills haven’t worked for weeks. I’m not sure Kane can take many more sleepless nights.

I’m going to be ****ing useless to the cause back home if I don’t get shit straightened out soon. It’s not fair that I’m bringing Kane down with me. He’s the last person I would ever want to hurt with all of this.

I look at him and he is just everything good in my life. He is loyalty and safety, perseverance and passion. He has known so much pain but has pushed on to become this amazing man that I am so incredibly lucky to know and call my boyfriend and my best friend. How did he get so unlucky to get stuck with me? He never had a choice…

Had they not bound him to be my guardian, would we be together like we are today? Is it because it is what is meant to be or because it is what is convenient? I find myself asking these questions often. Never to him. No, he deserves the happy Addie. He deserves far better than a neurotic, druggie, basket case like me. I’ve seen the girls (and guys) that swoon over him. He could have anyone he wanted but he’s got me.

Maybe ShadoWeaver can’t fix all of my problems after all. Maybe it isn’t worth trying again. I guess I’ve pissed off the current holder’s husband for challenging like I have. That’s not what I want in the least. But something is calling me to do it, to try. When else am I going to get a chance like this? To be so close to something so… like me. Once we go home, I go back to being just Addie. I start all over again as if this never happened. Hell, I may not even remember it when we go back. May as well do what I can while I can.

Kane’s sleeping. He looks so peaceful, younger even. When he’s awake, he gets these little furrows in his forehead when he’s frustrated, but when he’s asleep, he looks like an angel. Which sounds really lame, I know, but it’s true. With his white hair and his fair features. Even the little pointed tips of his ears seem innocent. He’s so self conscious of those but I think it’s cute. It’s a part of who he is, he shouldn’t be ashamed.

Maybe I’ll order some room service for when he wakes up. Waffles and omelets, I’m thinking. That sounds good. Then we can lay in bed and just do nothing the rest of the day. And maybe I can forget about everything, just for a little while.

Love,
~Adelaide V. Alcar

Return to “Through the Never”