A New Project.

Stories of the those from House Dragoon Talanador, the Company of the Dragon and the Tavern itself.

Moderator: G

G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

A New Project.

Post by G »

Drumming his fingers on his knee, Gustavus G'nort Esplanade G'neesmacher Dragoon-Talanador the Third sat, his office chair tilted backwards at a relaxing pose. He sat there looking out of the window of Talanador Tower, over the expanse of Rhydin that was viewable from that vantage point. Many thoughts were running through his head at this point of time. Thoughts of his relationship with Merci, how it compared to past relationships, the work in the Arena, that cute little new caller who started recently and served to aggravate him because of the cuteness, the little people running about in Rhydin as they continued their boring and meaningless lives. He also thought of the duels, the past and present, what to do for the future. There was quite a bit going on through his mind when there came that standard knocking on his office door.

Knock, Knock, Knock.

"You may enter." G said with an intentionally deep and overly dramatic tone in his voice.

The door opened with a little creak, and a long , pale leg in black heels stepped through the door. Of course it was Mai Yasuke, G's Asian appearing personal assistant who clearly was much more than a simple assistant. Aside from being capable of running HDT Enterprises on her own without any input from him, she had an aura of power that made one wonder just what she was doing working for him. Clearly someone as powerful as Mai would be better off on her own in some way.

G'nort once took an opportunity to sneak a power index reading on his assistant, so curious as to what she was. It couldn't identify her, so far off the charts her powers were. This puzzled him at first, but she was so good at her job and replacing him, while remaining completely loyal to her boss that he had begun to just trust her in every aspect. Soon, the question of what she was, how much power she had, was replaced by the day to day appreciation of how well she was performing. Of course, while she worked, she appeared to be completely bored out of her mind, as well as barely tolerating her employer. This made it all the more interesting as to why she worked for him. And naturally, with that attitude, G enjoyed toying with her somewhat.

She stepped towards the desk, this morning, all business as usual. Her outfit a black skirt to above her knees with matching blazer and heels. The white blouse was opened at the neck, but not allowing any view of her cleavage. She knew her boss too well for that. Capping it off were the librarian glasses that had a chain attached around the arms of the frame. She stopped in front of his desk and waited for him to turn his chair around to face her. Aside from a few files she had in her hand, as always she had her little notebook, as well, with a pencil tucked inside the spirals.

Finally he turned to face her, having paused long enough to make it seem somewhat dramatic. He pulled himself up to the the desk and folded his hands on the surface as he smiled up at her.

"Well, Mai, dear. You see what I did there? 'Mai, dear, My Dear.' I'm so clever. Anyway, what can I do for you?"

Mai's expression didn't change at all. She was used to this sort of immature behavior from her employer so she chose to simply ignore it. After all, to acknowledge it only invited more of the same, and then nothing would get done.

"I have some forms for you to sign, sir. The first is more important. It's to ensure that the special 'cargo' you are having exported to the Kingdom of Keoland has no trouble with the border guards. Then there are standard business practices, contracts, bribes and kickbacks to sign. Naturally, your contract lawyers have made certain that everything is profitable to you, much as if you had your own hand in creating them." She said that last part with a little bit of distaste, but it was hardly noticeable.

"Mmm.. great. Such exciting things to take care of. I mean, my name -is- so terribly hard to sign and all. Otherwise I'd just have you forge it." G's response was easy to understand.

"That would require a significant pay increase, sir." Mai dryly responded.

"Ouch, you know just how to get me to change my mind about that, huh?" G winced, but chuckled.

"One more thing, sir. GnomCorp's chief of R&D called. He said something about 'Project: Everlast" having proceeded past the testing stage and was ready for implementation. I have to admit, sir. While I know pretty much everything that goes on and through these doors, this isn't one I am aware of."

G looked up at the mention of 'Everlast' and a smile broke across his features. He listened to Mai and then leaned back in his chair. He liked that he had a secret she hadn't found out about yet. He folded his hands over his stomach and tapped his fingers with a bit of excitement.

"Well, you know about 'Project: Rubber Band.' This is.. similar. But so much more different. It's much more better."
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

It wasn't public, nor would it ever be. To be honest, he would probably keep it so secretive that the only people who would know what it was, would be a select group of gnomish scientists who tested it on lesser life forms, the top brass of GnomCorp, Mai, and whomever he trusted enough to carry it out on him.

Wizards swore by it, even said it was a guarantee. All they lost was a few hours of information. Well, G didn't exactly trust wizards, even after he said "Oh really?" and shot down the one who told him about it, only to see him a day or so later apologizing for missing his meeting. That's about when it was sold on G.

See, he's living in a world where there's so many immortals and so called godlike beings with super powers and those who have extremely long life spans. It kinda sucked, to him, to think that a bunch of jerks were going to likely outlive his awesomeness. That's not fair now, is it?

In a world where people are known for not ever really staying dead, permanently, G was still pretty susceptible to being one of the few that would, in reality, not come back. Well, he did die that one time, but he made a deal with Death to give him a break. G could talk himself out of anything, even death, but the chances were it'd only work on that fellow once. Just once.

So, he needed a back-up plan. And that's where Project Everlast came into play.

it worked on frogs. It worked on dogs. It worked on cows. It worked on sows. It didn't work on insects because nobody bothered to try it out and everyone hates bugs so they were killed out of spite. It did, however, work on monkeys, which was why G, himself, now had a vested interest in this project. It seemed to have solved the main worry he had about the future.

What is it, you may ask? Well, it's....
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Post by G »

...a secret.

But for those of you who are curious, it's really the way G found to keep himself forever young, in a manner of speaking.

The greatest wizards called it by the spells actual name. But that was much to boring and complicated to spell or even say phonetically, and really he didn't have time for that. Who does? When you're running an international conglomerate with so many holdings and so much going on, one cannot be bothered with correct spelling on things such as a spells name. Leave that to the nerds.

So he had requested the less complicated name. The 4th greatest wizard of his order, a man by the odd name of Donkarnoj Redstaff, who had a most peculiar accent that sometimes drove G nuts when he wasn't really in the mood to hear about special projects designed for eternal youth, cheerfully told him it was a difficult spell known among the more common and younger mages of his order as... wait for it...

"Stasis Clone."

G nodded. That seemed like so much more acceptable a name for a spell. No weird characters or strange inflections that made your lungs burn or teeth hurt when you tried to say it. "Stasis Clone". Three syllables. Pretty much self explanatory, wasn't it? Donkarnoj just kind of rolled his eyes at the expression of such simple mindedness.

The jist of it was, you take a decent portion of a persons skin, say about a two inch by two inch square, and the mage would use their magic and several components to conjure up a clone. Then, if the original individual is still alive, the cloned body falls immediately into stasis and does not rot. If the original individual later dies, the soul transfers to the stasis clone, which leaves stasis and immediately begins to function as per the normal clone spell.

This was already a tricky process in and of itself, not to mention rather expensive, to boot. Add to the fact that there needed to be numerous clones available, just in case, and hidden in various locations, G saw that there would undoubtedly be an extremely long period of time before he would ever end up completely dead.

Hey, what's a mortal human to do when you're surrounded by untold amounts of various super powered beings and immortals and undead or what have you. Xanth alone was good enough reason to have a fallback plan. And this was G's. Sure, it cost a small fortune, but it was well worth every copper to ensure his legacy.

Of course, all he needed to do was die in order for the clone to come to life with his memories, right?

How to test such a thing.

Return to “Golden Ivy Tavern”