Grandmasters, Squires, and the right to challenge.

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Should all Squires get a single use challenge grant upon becoming Grandmasters?

Yes, and explain below.
13%
No, and explain below.
88%

Total votes: 8
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Munchem wrote:
PrlUnicorn wrote:
Munchem wrote: Warlords should be the only ranks able to challenge for title.
Warlords and Renegade Barons can currently challenge for the title of Overlord.
I'm not sure why you called this out. Warlord is a rank. Overlord and Baron are titles.
Semantics regardless of reasons. Warlords and Barons are the only individuals that can currently challenge for the title of Overlord. Squires by default are a TITLE, not a Rank. However they're a title that, at present, cannot challenge for anything.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

Sylus Kurgen wrote:However they're a title that, at present, cannot challenge for anything.
Is that a requirement of titles?

The Overlord can't challenge for a title. Nor the Diamond or Archmage. Nor for that matter can the Opals.

I think the pool of folks that can challenge for a title is already pretty large. I'm not sure we need to expand that to the squires.

If I were looking for a benefit for the squires, I'd rather look at something that allows them to serve their Baron. e.g., defend them in challenges.
Munchem
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Munchem »

Sylus Kurgen wrote:Semantics regardless of reasons. Warlords and Barons are the only individuals that can currently challenge for the title of Overlord. Squires by default are a TITLE, not a Rank. However they're a title that, at present, cannot challenge for anything.
Squires are also not warlords by definition, thus, they should not be able to challenge for OL or baron.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Munchem wrote:
PrlUnicorn wrote:
Munchem wrote: Warlords should be the only ranks able to challenge for title.
Warlords and Renegade Barons can currently challenge for the title of Overlord.
I'm not sure why you called this out. Warlord is a rank. Overlord and Baron are titles.
Because of terms like Test, Intercession, and Right of Challenge that had often been confused. If some things are not spelled fully spelled out, it might cause confusion. We do have some newer players among the community that might not be aware of the differences between a title and a rank especially since what has been referred to as Titled Ranks are listed in the Game Guide as ranks.

Fancies - The Art of Defense
To reflect your character's increasing skill in the ring, he or she will be able to execute a certain number of Fancy maneuvers. Fancies are awarded according to rank as follows:

Rank
Number of Fancy Maneuvers
Commoner 0
Swordsman 1
Master-at-arms 2
Grandmaster 3
Warlord 4
Baron 5*
Overlord 6*

They are also referred to as ranks in The Triple Crown.

In the Duel of Swords, a duelist may become the Overlord by directly challenging the current holder of the title. This challenge may only be done from a Warlord or a Baron rank.

Throughout the history of the dueling community, there have only been a select few who have defied all odds and achieved these paramount ranks in all three sports.

I hope that clears things up.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Munchem wrote:
Sylus Kurgen wrote:Semantics regardless of reasons. Warlords and Barons are the only individuals that can currently challenge for the title of Overlord. Squires by default are a TITLE, not a Rank. However they're a title that, at present, cannot challenge for anything.
Squires are also not warlords by definition, thus, they should not be able to challenge for OL or baron.
Jake wrote:
Sylus Kurgen wrote:However they're a title that, at present, cannot challenge for anything.
Is that a requirement of titles?

The Overlord can't challenge for a title. Nor the Diamond or Archmage. Nor for that matter can the Opals.

I think the pool of folks that can challenge for a title is already pretty large. I'm not sure we need to expand that to the squires.

If I were looking for a benefit for the squires, I'd rather look at something that allows them to serve their Baron. e.g., defend them in challenges.
The point remains, it's an argument over Rank vs Title. Which to me is kind of petty to get into at this juncture. I'd like to think, as adults, we're better than that.

Warlord is a Rank.

Squire is a Title.

Apples to Oranges.

Warlords should be the only RANK that can challenge for Baron or Overlord. Got it.

Barons should be the only TITLE that can challenge for Overlord. Okay.

I'm all right leaving at that. This entire conversation is in the hypothetical.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”