Tales from a menagerie of characters.

Moderators: Talathian, Kenzi, Rayvinn

Rayvinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Return of the General

Post by Rayvinn »

December 10th

Only two outcomes were ever possible when he departed on missions. Victory or death. Defeat never really did settle well in his vocabulary and as he sat at the desk in the tent with the candle burning he stared at the blank piece of paper before him. He had ink in the well and a fresh quill but still the paper lay stark and bare.

Leaning back in his chair the elf sat in quiet contemplation before slamming the quill on the desk in frustration. Defeat would be less cumbersome than what he had faced at Rasmouth Point. He had feared returning to camp empty handed after having taken men out on the longer trip and as he awaited Rayvinn's entry he was stumped as to what he could tell her to make up for it.

"General..."

The elf queen made her entrance, one graceful hand parting the heavy canvas of the tent flap as the other ushered back the posted guard as he tried to assist her. The formality of title and brusque tone of voice were to indicate to T'alathian immediately that this was a meeting purely for business purposes and she would accept no blending of their roles as lovers; her temperament wouldn't soften simply because of his status in her personal life. Rayvinn felt it to be of the utmost importance that these boundaries be maintained for the good of the army as well as their relationship.

"What did you learn during your reconnaissance mission?" He'd been gone for an extended period of time compared to what he’d had his messenger report to her. Her tone was a bit too sharp as she followed with, "...that you, and my soldiers, returned from much later than anticipated." She wouldn't express the worry she'd felt personally for him. Not right now.

Long strides took her deeper into her tent where she removed her cloak, her practice armor, and the myriad of weapons that had been both visible and not. She'd intentionally busied herself in order to keep her attention divided so that the anger and worry that had been building for days would not be unleashed beginning with one look into her eyes.

He stood at attention as she entered and waited until she had begun to disarm before beginning his obscure debriefing.

"Nothing." One word that he cringed after speaking aloud. A long trip with plenty of men and supplies that brought back... nothing.

"We weren't sure if there was going to be a city when we set out. Most of us had heard stories over the years but they were so absurd..." He wasn't sure himself how this would sound so he just cut to the chase.

"We arrived and there was a massive city. There were tall spires and a lot of ramps. There were no direct roads which made navigating it a nightmare logistically. Our horses couldn't really deal with the terrain differentials and the sheer vertical disparity from tier to tier. We spent some time camped out but there was no food, no water. There are little to no resources in the area." It sounded like a ghost story or some urban legend.

"The letter we originally received claimed that a caravan had fallen under attack. Yet when we arrived there was no trace of any caravan and the place looked deserted. Weirdest part of it all is I can't seem to find the letter. I know I didn't misplace it. It's like it vanished out of thin air." Right about now it was looking like he was up to his ears in bs, and he knew all he had really offered were cheap excuses. But after all was said and done, he truly had gone with men and supplies and come back empty handed.

'Nothing.' She was certain she'd heard incorrectly but when her cool gaze ticked over to the elf, she caught the cringe. "...Nothing. Uh. Huh." The pause between the last two words spoke of her mounting irritation even more so than the storm clouds that were gathering in her eyes.

"General," she began in a quiet voice, which would be of no difficulty for him to hear with his elven hearing. "In preparing for an expedition to an unknown location that you knew to be upon a cliff, you did not think to bring along a wizard?" She stared at him for a long moment, her face absolutely devoid of expression which could honestly be said to be more frightening than when she was expressing rage.

"A wizard could perform spells of, I don't know, levitation, ranged fire, spells that might have been useful had you come under attack. This area is not like our homes, T'alathian, there are magics out here that are nearly unimaginable in the damage they can incur."

The index finger and thumb of her right hand lifted to pinch at the bridge of her nose. "You didn't take enough supplies. My men, you, could have perished. Ill preparation will kill an army just as quickly, and just as dead, as arrows or steel."
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.--Friedrich Nietzsche
Rayvinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Rayvinn »

T'alathian was at times rash and downright dangerous when it came to his vigor and... charismatic aggressiveness. However, it was always after he had evaluated all possible angles. For this though, he was hard pressed to say she was in the wrong.

"To be honest I hadn't considered we may actually find it. Stories are one thing but to see it with my own eyes. I also don't trust many of the indigenous people here. Let alone a wizard." His distaste was more palpable at the term and he glanced to the empty paper.

Rayvinn's eyes narrowed as she mulled over what he'd reported: vanishing letters, non-existent trouble, a city where none could enter...so how could any have departed? Instead of outright accusing the elf before her of an overly active imagination or imbibing in too much ale (which was certainly true at times), she decided to trust in him for the very reason she'd made him the general of this army to begin with. He was sharp, capable. Despite this one time of not being as prepared as she would have liked, he'd always had an excellent head for battle strategy and leadership.

His frustration was evident in his tone, something rarely seen from him. "I am not imagining this. My men have been there. We saw it with our own eyes. I do not understand what is going on but I am going to get to the bottom of it."

"No, I don't believe you are imagining it. Nor do I believe this is just one of your pranks. Even you have limits." She was pacing now; it had always helped her to think.

“Alright. Let's put aside all of the discrepancies between what you thought you knew and what you actually found. Focus on the facts that remain. Do you recall from whom that letter originated? You said someone reporting trouble...who reported it?"

"It was a young courier who had been gravely injured. I had arranged for him to stay here and recover. Yet when we returned, the guards posted said he simply vanished. Just as his letter had. Nothing about this is right. A city that exists only in rumors, gargantuan in size, is just there. Empty on the cliffs like some terrifying thing out of a nightmare. Not a soul in sight. Now the courier is nowhere to be found and there's no trace of the letter."

He rubbed his forehead and tried to envision the letter once more. "It was nice handwriting. Curves, flowing like water. Common language but there were hints of something else. Maybe an odd derelict version of Elvish." He was becoming consumed in his thoughts and trailed off before looking to the pacing Queen.

Her lips pursed as she mulled over the details regarding the courier and the letter. Distractedly she murmured, even as she continued to try to piece this puzzle together, "When I was informed that you'd gone, I spoke with my guards to gather more information. They reported that a wounded young man had come to camp with a letter for you.” She stopped pacing and turned to face him once more. “So I am convinced that this courier did come into camp with that letter."

"I want to go back."
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.--Friedrich Nietzsche
Rayvinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Rayvinn »

Rayvinn paused for a long moment, processing his request, then nodded. "A very small party that is quick to move. We're also taking a wizard despite your distrust of them." Of course, she planned to go along.

Naturally his first inclination was to reject nearly everything she had just said. His obstinate protest however was tempered since this was more of a counsel than it was a fireside chat.

"I don't believe it would be wise to simply thrust you into the mouth of whatever it is we're dealing with. That city is the center of this all, I know it is; do you think it's wise to accompany us there?" That was the more logical approach. "I also still don't see the necessity for one of those con artists. We managed just fine without one before." While he did protest, he was not to the point of actually stating she was incorrect.

Naturally she bristled at his first question. "Of course, I believe it is the wisest course of action or I wouldn't have suggested it. I will have you know that I was adventuring, leading, battling, and surviving before you came along, General. Long before. So instead of worrying over my safety, perhaps you should be concerning yourself with making certain you and your men can keep up with me."

She moved to the footlocker and began packing items she knew would be needed even as she continued to address his doubts. "I am sure you do not see the necessity for a wizard. Your concern is noted but the decision is final."

"It is my opinion that you should remain at the camp. However, should you decide to lead the party then I recommend we travel no more than five. It was difficult enough not to let the horses spook themselves and then run straight off the narrow paths."

It took real restraint not to lash out at him and her teeth clicked as she shut her mouth until she could find more constructive words to use. "Your opinion that I should remain at the camp is noted. However, we will leave at dawn. Choose two of your best men...they must be agile. We'll likely be leaving the horses behind and making our way in on foot, probably climbing a great deal."

Choice words served as a stiff reminder that her way was the only way. He took a seat in the chair and leaned back tossing his feet up on the desk, one over the other.

"Yes, my Queen it will be arranged." His eyes shut and he began to hum an old human melody that he had picked up once upon a time.

Some decisions were definitely her own to make and she did so without advice or apology. Others, though? There were countless times that she had asked for, received, and appreciated her general's advice. His opinion mattered to her.

"Good." She took a breath and exhaled slowly. “Thank you, General.”

He wasn't going to press it further but he did open one eye on her. "Would you like me to send any ravens out to inform anyone that you'll be on a trip?"

"There is no one to inform. I let Kalamere and Sylus know this morning that I would be leaving for a short time. I had planned to leave today to find you." She cleared her throat and stiffened her spine once more, trying to put that wall back into place. "...and the rest of the party."

T'alathian stood from the seat and rounded the desk. "Very well." He saluted her with a fist to his shoulder and kneeled.

She hated when he kneeled like that. Though she understood the formality was needed, she didn't have to like it. She also knew it would do no good to tell him to stop because he never did.

"You could still let them think that. It may buy you another day or two from that world." He couldn't be serious. Oh, yes, he could. He stood and approached Rayvinn but maintained his distance.

"Since I will actually be leaving, there is no reason to tell them otherwise." She half smiled at his remark about a few days away from that world. "I know you do not care for the place, but maybe you would if you spent more time there." An invitation of sorts.

"There's one reason to consider it." He smiled lightly. "Are there any other matters you would like to discuss with me?"
Rayvinn
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Rayvinn »

"No, General, you are dismissed." Once the words were spoken and the formality performed, she stepped into his personal space and threw herself against him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Good. I much prefer my primary job." The one reason for considering spending more time in that world had just dismissed him of his work and was soon entangled with him. He wove his fingers within her hair and squeezed her tight. Her scent filled his nostrils and an unshakable tsunami of nostalgia and home washed over him.

"I was so worried." She finally confessed in a rush of words and breath against his ear. She was no longer the queen but simply the elf that loved him.

"Must we leave at dawn? Why can't it ever be noon? Or afternoon?" He smiled and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"You're asking the wrong woman about that, darling. That is the queen's decision and I don't see her around right now. Good thing too. She's no fun at all."

"She'd have me tossed in the stables to sleep with the horses if she were."

"She probably would. She's a terribly mean elf."

"Terribly mean. Very bossy." He snickered the sarcasm through somehow. Within her embrace, he gently brushed his thumb along her cheek, noticing a few darker shades beneath her eyes.

"You know they say there's no rest for the wicked but I think you're taking it a little too far."

Peering up at him through a veil of smoky lashes, the elf smirked slightly. "Well, if a certain brash, young elf hadn't run off and left me behind to worry, I am sure I might have slept at some point."

"I am sure I have no recollection of such an elf. Point him out to me and I will beat him personally." How did he manage to keep a straight face? It did not last as his smile took over.

He received a poke in the ribs but she was still smiling. It was just nice to have him home, even if home at the moment was a large canvas tent in the middle of an army encampment; it wasn't the place that mattered so much as the feeling.

"As your personal advisor, I would suggest getting as much rest as possible tonight. Our slave-driving Queen demands that we leave at dawn. Which normally means half an hour before dawn."

"You are indeed a wise advisor and your assessment of the queen is correct. For this reason and because a certain elf has returned, I will take your advice and sleep the sleep of the dead tonight." Reluctantly she withdrew from his embrace and silently reminded herself that he was not going to disappear simply because she wasn't holding onto him.

"It is a keystone of a great leader to listen to her advisors." Egging it on a little bit he shifted some from the poke to the ribs and watched as she withdrew.

It wouldn’t take more advice from T’alathian to encourage Rayvinn to climb onto that monstrosity of a bed, still in her clothes. She dragged the blankets up to her chin as she snuggled down into the oversized, plush pillows. “I’ll just sleep for a few min--…” She drifted off in mid-sentence.

He rest his cheek on his fist and watched her before he too eventually climbed into bed and drifted off.

((Thank you to T'alathian's player for writing this with me))

Return to “The Mundane and Mystical - Tales of Elves and Men”