A Hasty Retreat

Seek the places where light meets dark, there you will find tales of inexplicably intertwined realms both near and far.

Moderators: King, Claire Gallows, Cooper Gallows

Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

A Hasty Retreat

Post by Claire Gallows »

December 13th, 2016 ((Cross posted on RDI))

Mornings at the Sassy Owl Saloon were so often slow things, sleepy starts with minimal patrons. Days like those, Claire brought the twins down from the apartment above to do breakfast in the corner booth. A mess of scrambled eggs and cereal painted their little space, leaving Claire to watch them with a fond smile over the lip of her coffee mug. She was still waking up so for now she was content to let them make their little disasters. It wasn’t as though she was going to make their server clean it up, Claire wasn’t that terrible of a boss. Speaking of their server, Blossom Savarinea hummed her way over with a coffee pot to refill Claire’s cup.

“How’s everything so far?” She asked, a chipper bright chirp rolling from her tongue as she smiled at the trio in the booth.

“Great as always, B. Thank you.” Claire kept her fingers curled around the mug’s handle as Blossom topped it off. As she did, the door’s bells chimed, signaling a new arrival. They jingle-jangled repeatedly, making both Blossom and Claire peek away from the booth to see how many were showing. A string of a dozen people filed through the doorway, an oddity at such an hour but early lunches weren’t unheard of. Claire shrugged it off and smiled at Blossom who returned the gesture and quickly dashed back to the bar where the new patrons were quickly taking up the stools along the counter.

“Don’t forget your milk, Avy.” She murmured to the silver eyed toddler, nudging a green sippy cup toward the child. Averia looked at it, then at her mother, and promptly knocked it over. Alex giggled wildly and did the same to his cup. The pair’s giggles filled the booth, turning the latest group to arrive into a mere afterthought for Claire as she sighed and straightened both cups. “You dorks. Eat your breakfast and then were can go see if Cooper wants to go to the park with us. Okay?”

The group at the counter didn’t remain an afterthought for long. Blossom’s voice caught Claire’s ear from across the room. “I’m sorry, we have no humans on staff this morning… um, I assure you though, I’ll take great care of you!”

“Exactly what’s wrong with Rhy’Din.” A woman at the counter sneered. Behind the bar, Blossom’s smile fell. “We’ll stay right here until you get us someone that can properly help us.”

“The hell?” Claire muttered under her breath, leaning from the booth’s edge to check the scene out. A few moments later, the back door opened. A cute blonde wrapped in a puffy blue coat with a matching hat came shuffling through. The purple of her eyes went toward the bar’s break and the dryad beyond. Casey tugged her hat off and slid behind the counter to join Blossom.

“Hey.” The blonde said coolly, shrugging out of her jacket and stuffing it under the bar. As if she hadn’t heard the growing conflict at the counter, the bartender gave both Blossom and the patrons on the other side a cheerful smile. “Good morning. Er, almost afternoon before long I suppose. You need help, Awesome Blossom?”

“Actually…” Blossom’s voice lowered as she stepped to tug Casey aside. Claire watched as the two women turned away from the bar for a low conversation. Casey glanced first toward those at the bar and then beyond them toward the booths where Claire and the twins sat. She put on an easy smile and turned back to the impatient group at the bar.

“Is there a problem here?” Casey asked sweetly. For all intents and purposes, the blonde appeared human though Claire had her doubts. Really what she was didn’t matter in the long run so long as she worked hard and that’s exactly what Casey Malachi did. Never did Claire have to worry that things wouldn’t get done or that something would happen at the Owl in her stead.

“Yeah, I’ll tell you what the problem is. You’ve got scum like that taking jobs from good, hard working humans. Places like this taking business from mom and pop shops that are struggling to get by.” The woman pointed a finger first at Blossom and then the counter she stood at for emphasis.

“So… knowing what you know, may I ask why you’ve chosen to patronize our establishment this morning?” Casey was careful with her phrasing, keeping the woman within her sights at all times as she tugged off her hat and tossed it under the counter with her coat.

“We’re here to make a point.” Piped up the man beside the original speaker. Under his arm he had a cardboard sign though from the angle, Claire couldn’t tell what it said. She was just about to slide out of the booth when Casey spoke again.

“I see. In that case, I’m going to respectfully ask you to leave. If you wish to make a point, you may do so outside. Our seating is reserved for paying patrons.” Casey gestured toward the front door, her smile thin but still there.

“I think we’re going to stay right here.” The man said and pointedly sat on a stool, staring Casey down defiantly. That was Claire’s cue. She murmured softly to the twins to stay where they were and slid from the booth.

“You heard the lady, you can go ahead and leave. All of you.” She said as she crossed the room from the booths around the corner to the bar. All eyes turned toward her, protester and server both. “She asked nicely. I’m not going to. I don’t take too kindly to people disrespecting my staff. You can get out or I will throw each of you out one by one.”

For all of their defiance, most of them knew better than to question the fire in her stare. Casey and Blossom were passive enough that they could be pushed around. Claire was a steadfast boulder ready to roll over them if they didn’t comply. One by one they scooted from their stools and shuffled for the front door. The final woman paused in front of Claire long enough to spit at her feet before continuing. It wasn’t until the door closed behind them that she looked back to the girls behind the counter.

“If I thought it wouldn’t hurt business, I’d have punched that broad in the throat for that.” She grumbled. “I’m sorry you had to deal with that.”

“No worries, boss lady. We’ve got it from here!” Blossom’s bright demeanor had returned, a smile chasing the pink haired owner back to her booth. As quiet fell on the bar once more, Claire thought nothing more about the would be protest. The twins worked through their breakfast and she through her coffee. The noise outside didn’t even register with her as she slid from the booth to begin gathering the kids and cleaning their mess. The shattering of glass made her jump and whirl toward the source.

A brick had been thrown through one of the front windows, raining sparkling shards down on the tables and floor beneath the window. The brick fell with a thud to the ground only to be joined by a second a few moments later through another window. Exposed, the broken windows could no longer filter out the yelling chants outside.

“End Human Oppression!”

“We Stand Together!”

“Make Rhydin Human Again!”

“What the actual ****?!” Claire exclaimed. Alex had started crying when the second brick came through and Averia stared wide eyed at the gaping holes. Casey, looking none too pleased, ushered Blossom through the kitchen door before stepping out from behind the bar.

“I’m going to have Blossom stay in the office. I’ll clean this up and get someone over to fix the windows. You should probably get the kids out of here.” Casey said gently. Claire still stared at the broken windows and the protestors beyond with a frown. It was no secret that she was hardly human even if she looked the part but since when had that been an issue in a place as diverse as Rhydin?

“Right… you’ll call me if you need anything?” She asked the blonde, gathering a toddler for each hip before starting for the stairwell to access the apartment above the restaurant.

“Of course. We’ll be fine here. Look after you and yours.”
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

They could have stayed in the apartment above the Owl. The wards were strong, both offensively and defensively speaking. If it were isolated to just the Sassy Owl Saloon, surely they would dissipate before long. Ignore them and they’d go away. A step out onto the balcony crushed those hopes. There were protesters everywhere. One throng was indiscernible from the next and their shouts filled the streets amidst the sound of breaking glass and blaring car alarms. Kruger’s shop, only two doors down and across the street from the Owl, had a number of people outside. From her perch she couldn’t tell if the forge was open or closed. Further down the street, Teas’n Tomes and Matadero seemed to be enduring much the same. Claire climbed up onto the balcony’s railing then grabbed the lip of the gutter to pull herself up onto the roof. From there she could see that much of Old Market seemed to be in tumult. Further west, it stretched into Seaside and in the distance, a fire on the coast sent a plume of black billowing into the drab December sky. Grim, Claire jumped down from the roof, cringing at the twinge of pain that radiated through her leg before she stepped back inside.

The debate was over, they were leaving the city.

Casey had closed the restaurant, comping tabs for any who were asked to leave early. Worried patrons had been ushered out the back door and through the alley that ran alongside the brick, two story building. Claire, Cooper, and the twins came down a few minutes later. The dining room’s overhead lights had been dimmed, leaving the blonde bartender to stand half a dozen paces back from the two broken windows at the building’s front. Her arms were folded and her chin was lowered even as she turned to face the quartet as they hit the last step of the staircase.

“Jason’s sending Ludo over to fix the windows shortly.” Casey said softly. There was a gunmetal edge to her tone that Claire had never heard before.

“Thank you, Casey. If you get a chance, can you check in with Lost Pub? There’s smoke in Seaside and if it’s anything like it is here, well… you understand.” Claire shrugged gently, bouncing Alexander to soothe him. The commotion had the little boy scared stiff and he clung to his mother, his face buried against her shoulder. A few steps back, Cooper murmured quietly to Averia, who was taking everything quite well, all things considered.

“I’ll head over there myself once we’re able to lock up here properly.” The blonde nodded and glanced over Claire’s shoulder to the cowboy. A flicker of a smile ventured a trip across her mouth before her violet eyed gaze came back to Claire. “Anything else?”

“No. That should be it. Remi’s got a few boys stopping over to keep watch over the place. Just let them know if you think the Pub needs it too and they’ll send ‘em out.” It reminded her that she needed to check on the Distillery on the way out of town. Though it was unoccupied, trends being what they were, she didn’t want to leave it alone, unguarded.

“We’ll be okay. Nothing’s going to happen to the Owl, I promise. You guys get on outta here while it seems quieter out there.” Casey nodded toward the front of the building. Maybe the mob was moving further down the street or maybe they were getting tired of their schtick, but it did seem like the ruckus was dying down. With a few goodbyes exchanged, Claire led the way out through the back. Her black Wrangler had been parked at the alley’s mouth. From afar it seemed to have made it through the mess unscathed saved for a few dings and dents. The plated windows required more than bricks to break them. Thumbing the Jeep’s remote, it chirped as it unlocked and as Cooper took Averia to one side, Claire opened the other back door to put Alex in. Before she could, a shout broke the quiet.

“Another one, it’s her!”

Claire glanced toward the end of the alley as the heavy sound of footsteps soon produced half a dozen silhouettes. She felt her mouth go dry as her hold on her son tightened. Their yelling made him cry again, his worried wailing mixing with the yells of protesters as they came toward her. She ducked her head to see Cooper had almost secured Averia in her seat. He lifted a look just in time for the first stone to bounce off of her shoulder. Claire turned her back to deflect the second.

Rocks? They were throwing rocks?! Seriously? What the **** was happening? When had Rhydin City gone insane? It wasn’t as though they hurt, not even the third or fourth or fifth or the one that hit her in the back of the head. The proverbial stone that broke the Mama Bear’s back bounced off the lip of the car door and landed in Alex’s lap as she was securing his harness. It scared him more than it hurt but the fact remained, they had touched one of her children. One of her babies. With the final click of his seat secure, the woman straightened and turned away from the Jeep, shutting the door less than gently behind her. There was fire in her eyes when she faced them. Her knuckles cracked. Claire saw red.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

The dust settled.

The crowd dispersed.

Four were taken to nearby clinics with superficial injuries.

Two weren’t as lucky.

But Claire had given them exactly what they wanted.

Her rage. Her pain.

Cooper dealt with the Watch and Claire sat on the back bumper of the Jeep, her head in her aching hands. She could hear the twins in the vehicle’s cab babbling to each other, their woes forgotten for the time being.

“Hey, boss.” Casey announced her presence moments before sitting beside Claire, her weight causing only the slightest lowering of the Wrangler’s back end. “You alright?”

“I’m fine.” Claire whispered without looking up.

“Mmh. Ludo’s working on the windows. There’s a couple bruisers out front watching the place. I’m going to head up to Seaside to see how James and his crew are faring. You need anything before I go?” Part of what Claire liked about the bubbly bartender was that she knew when not to push the subject. The gratitude was palpable when she looked up finally.

“No, just stay safe, Casey. Remind me come payday and I’ll be sure to pay you for your overtime.” With hazard pay, Claire noted but didn’t say aloud. Casey chuckled and stood.

“Sure thing, boss lady. Take care of those babies. We’ve got everything here.” With smiles exchanged, Casey went the way she had come, pausing at the Jeep’s window to tap the glass and make faces at the toddlers inside. Their giggles were a salve even after they died down, leaving Claire to her thoughts and the crunch of boots on gravel.

“Ready, Slugger?” Cooper asked. Claire tipped her chin up into his shadow and shrugged.

“I’m sorry… I just… I let them get to me. They didn’t care if the kids got hurt or if they catch innocent people in the middle of their vitriol. I should’ve held my temper better. I should have--”

“Shh now, s’alright. Roads’re clearish, we oughta get goin’.” He wrapped an arm around her shoulders to squeeze her, his hand smoothing over her hair. With a sigh she got to her feet, still looped in his embrace.

“Probably better if we stay away til this blows over, huh?” She asked softly. Cooper frowned but nodded, ushering her around to the passenger’s side of the Jeep.

“Might be better. It’ll all work out though.” Tugging the door open, he waited for her to climb in before offering her a smile and shutting it behind her. Another quiet sigh issued from her lips as the door closed.

“Gods, I hope so.”

Return to “Through the Never”