Out of Character message board for the Duel of Fists

Moderator: Staff

Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

IFL 2017 - Info and Announcements

Post by Kalamere »

This thread will serve as a place for news and announcements for the 2017 season. So as not to choke up the boards too much, I'm going to try and consolidate official type things in here. Hopefully it won't prove too difficult to navigate; I don't think I'll have all that much.

Callers and Free-Agents

If you've been an IFL caller in the past, then you will still be listed as one on the website here. If you want off, please contact me and I'll take care of that. If you want to be added please contact me for that as well, I would love to put you on there.

Free-agents - currently we have none. If you have a character you would like entered into the FA pool, please let me know. Naturally said character will need to be registered on the site. We don't see a ton of FA usuage traditionally, but a couple a year do tend to get called in. The 2 character limit does not apply to free-agent characters.

Fighting Venues:

We will not be creating the IFL Garden as an RoH chatroom this year. Instead there will be 2 changes from past years as to where you hold duels.

(a) Primary Venues - Active dueling rooms:
The idea is this: If there is an active shift at the time of your duel, then please go fight in that room. The player base is pretty small these days and I'd like to see us all sorta staying together if we can. Two years ago we did this by moving all regulation into the Garden, this year we'll reverse that. Caveats are these (1) the caller on duty will NOT be calling your IFL duel. Don't ask them. You're still responsible for finding a caller off of the site listing. (2) If there is no shift going on, then you can fight wherever you like. I propose the Outback as the default, but I don't really care if I'm being honest. Any RoH chat room y'all can agree on is fine.

(b) Thursday Night on Discord w/ bot calling:

Because there is no Thursday night shift these days, we will claim that night as Garden night on Discord. To be absolutely clear: Nobody is required to use this night or use Discord and I don't want anyone trying to force their opponents into this. I did, however, think this provided us with an interesting opportunity to test out Discord as a roleplay area so thought 1 night a week with this as the option would be cool. I last posted about using Discord here and there is a google doc here with instructions and a TL;DR section at the end.

Again - Discord is not mandatory. There are 9 other days in the dueling week that you can fight in the other venues ([a] above). But if you don't want to hunt down a caller or you just want to try this thing out and see if it works for RP stuffs, then the option is there on Thursday nights.

Last notes on Discord:
- Fights that take place there probably won't be reflected on the IFL site until the following morning. I haven't automated that, so will do it manually Friday mornings.
- I will try to be on both AIM and Discord at night from now through the first week of the season. If you need any help please don't hesitate to ping me and I'll be happy to walk you through it.
Last edited by Kalamere on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Playoffs:

This season, the top 4 teams will enter the post season.

The last few times the league ran we had 8 teams in the mix and 6 of them went into the post season with the top 2 seeds receiving first round byes. With a league of 6 teams that would put every team in the playoffs, which seems kinda silly. (or leave out just 1 if GoS joins).

So, instead, this year we will cut it down to 4. Seed 1 vs 4 and Seed 2 vs 3, with the 2 winners facing off in a championship.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Scheduling - Week 1:

Captains, you may consider the week 1 schedule posted to the site locked and proceed to setting up your fighters.

Since we're still waiting to see if GoS joins us or not, I won't be posting weeks 2-5+ until probably Monday or Tuesday since that has obvious ramifications on how things will flow. By that time, however, I should be able to get the rest of the season set up along with whatever holiday break we take and when the playoffs will happen.

If you run into any issue with fighter scheduling, please let me know. I admit that I have been lazy this year and not tested every aspect of the site, instead assuming that if it worked 2 years ago and I haven't changed anything then it should still work today. Sometimes that logic doesn't pan out though, so please don't hesitate to reach out.

I haven't set up the IFL google calendar yet. I expect to work on that sometime today and will post an update once it's ready.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

League Calendar:

The calendar is now ready and working.

Turns out I didn't need to make a new one, I could just change the name from IFL 2015 to IFL 2017, without any other site work. /cheer

Everyone in the league should have access to the calendar to both create events and to manage sharing, so if there is anyone unable to interact with it, then any teammate should be able to give you access (naturally you can reach out to me as well, but if you prefer to talk to your captain or a team mate, they should be empowered to help you). Calendar usage isn't mandatory, but is encouraged as it's nice to know when fights are happening. From your google calendar, just create an event in the IFL 2017 calendar and it should show up on the website within about an hour.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

League Schedule:

Sorry for the delay on this one, I should have put it up a while ago. These are the dates we are looking at for each week of the season, including the playoffs. Note that for Thanksgiving week we will run a full 2 weeks instead of the normal 10 days, to account for anyone traveling etc. That does not change the week 5 schedule, however, which will still begin and end on the normal timeline... so there's a lot of overlap for those weeks.

Regular season ends on Dec. 20th, then we'll take a nice long holiday break and then get rolling with the playoffs Jan 7th. For the final, as always, my preference would be to have as much of it has possible done 1 night so everyone can come out and I chose a Thursday since there's no regular dueling shift that night, but people can certainly schedule things outside of that as needed.

Week 1 Fighting: Oct. 30th - Nov. 8th
Week 2 Fighting: Nov. 6th - Nov. 15th
Week 3 Fighting: Nov. 13th - Nov. 22nd
Week 4 Fighting: Nov. 20th - Dec. 4th * Extended Week due to Thanksgiving
Week 5 Fighting: Nov. 27th - Dec. 6th
Week 6 Fighting: Dec. 4th - Dec. 13th
Week 7 Fighting: Dec. 11h - Dec. 20th

--- Holiday Break ---

--- PLAYOFFS ---
SemiFinal: Jan 7th - Jan 13th
Final!: Jan 15th - Jan 21st, with preference for live fighting Thursday the 18th in RoH Garden Room.

--- POWERHOUSE PARTY ---
Single Elimination, invitational: Thursday, Jan 25th starting at 9pm
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

The Playoffs!

With the last of the week 7 matches finished off last night, we have made it through the regular season and have our 4 playoff teams. Congratulations to Real RhyDin, Team Fist, Chae Dynasty and Great of Strength!

As you can see in the season schedule (above) we will now take a holiday break to enjoy the company of friends and family as well as whatever gifts the strange fat man in red leaves under the tree for us. (elivsh labor suites not withstanding).

Round 1 of the playoffs will be:
Real RhyDin vs Great of Strength
Team Fist vs Chae Dynasty

Captains must have their lineups submitted by the end of Sunday, January 7th. Also, when the time comes, please remember that a playoff week is a standard 7 day week, not the overlapping 10 day week cycles we have during the regular season.

PowerHouse Party

The end of the regular season also means records are locked for purposes of the PowerHouse party invitational. I will probably try to get invitations moving next week. When I do, please be quick about telling me you cannot make it if that is the case so that I can move down the list and get an invite to the next eligible person.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Free-Agent use in the Playoffs

FA's are not allowed in the playoffs. That's in the rules.

This year, however, I needed to balance that rule vs other rules - specifically in regard to what happens when people have characters on both teams in a matchup.

In the interest of fairness to Great of Strength and not forcing them forfeit one of the four duels in the playoffs, I have waived the no FA rule. Please don't find this as precedent to use an FA when it suits you. Such waivers will be done on a case by case basis and only in extreme situations.

Return to “Duel of Fists (OOC)”