Rings of Honor

Rings of Honor
Calendar   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups
  Register   Log in
Eden Goes Pop!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rings of Honor Forum Index -> The Streets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eden Parker
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

27,321 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Eden Goes Pop! Reply with quote

Video Message Extract__08.03.2015__001000100010__R9X278T1

Hi mom! Hi dad! Hi everybody! This is Eden and I’m here in Rhy’Din! I arrived a few days ago and went from the Spaceport in Star’s End to a place called the Rhy’Din Welcome Center! The people at the Welcome Center were really nice! They gave me coupons!

Eden holds up an open coupon booklet for the camera to see.

This one is for “dry cleaning.” I do not know what that is yet, but if I need it, I will get 50 coppers off my first visit!

Everything here is pretty expensive. A lot more than we thought it would be. And it doesn’t seem like people trade for things like they do at home. I don’t think I will be able to start magic school right away. But the Welcome Center is helping me find a job! And they already found me a place to live with three other girls who arrived around the same time I did!

I miss you already! You can reach me here at the message center in Star’s End! I’m sending you the digital address! Can’t wait to hear back from you!

Okay! I love you! See you next Sunday!

Video Message Extract__21.06.2015__100001000010101__R9X278T1

Hi! It’s Sunday! Everything has been going great at the diner! I like all the regulars and I think they like me! They give me extra money at the end of the meal! Isn’t that so nice!?

I found this place where people compete in different kinds of fighting. It’s just for fun so it’s not dangerous or anything, but even though I haven’t started magic school, I can practice my magic in the magical duels! It’s pretty hard because I don’t know what I’m doing, but the people are really nice!

I’ve also been doing the fist-fighting which has been really fun. It’s just like playing around with you guys! I’m small so I take all the big people by surprise! I might even try to get a job there!

Can’t wait to hear from you! I miss you!

Video Message Extract __22.08.2015__0100010101010001__R9X278T1

This is something called a hula hoop. Hooooolah! That’s how you say it. Hoooooolah! Look!

Eden steps back from the camera in the middle of the message center and demonstrates with the hula hoop. For ten minutes. Without stopping.

Video Message Extract__03.12.2015__000010110000__R9X278T1

I got a new mentor at the Duel of Fists! Her name is Hope and she’s really good! She’s been teaching me a lot. She makes me swim all the time! I think I’m going to get really good at this! Or at least I’ll try!

Okay, miss you! I hope my messages are getting through!

Video Message Extract__16.03.2016__111100010__R9X278T1

Are you sure you’re using the right address to reach me? I’m going to give it to you again just in case! Okay! I love you! I’ll see you next Sunday!

Video Message Extract__24.07.2016__100100101000010__R9X278T1

I went to my first concert last week! It was a date! I made a special friend. His name is Cory and he’s really funny and fun. He took me to the concert! The music was loud and people were dancing and there was a huge crowd! I don’t think Robin would have liked it very much but Max would have loved it! Oh, and we got to watch from backstage!

Cory is a picture taker. He writes about the people who fight at the dueling venues where I work and fight. He’s really good! The concert was our first date. Dating is what people call it here when a couple steps out together.

Jinny, she’s the person here at the messaging center, well Jinny told me that this is message number 68 from me. I still haven’t received any messages back since I got here last year. Jinny checks for me every week. But everything is okay, right? I mean, I’m pretty sure nothing bad has happened, but I don’t know if you’re getting my messages or maybe if I’m just not getting yours or what is happening at all!

If you’re getting this can you try to maybe message me back? I think everything is okay, but I would think it better if I really knew somehow. I miss you all a lot and I would very much like to hear it from you.

Okay! I love you! I’ll see you next Sunday!
Eden Parker
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

27,321 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Cory! Cory! Cory!”

Cory’s door wasn't locked since he was expecting her, though the way Eden was attacking it you'd think it was. He got up from the couch and opened the door. “Hi! What's all the excitement? Come on in and... then kiss me.” He put on his silliest sideways grin for her.

“I got my messages from my family!” She let her shoulder-bag drop to the floor, then bounced up and into his arms like she always did, arms wrapping around his shoulders and leaning up for a kiss.

“Really!? That's…” He was immediately cut off by the kiss which had turned his words into a groan. When they separated he just picked up where he left off, “...great, honey! Come tell me everything!”

Eden bounced her way towards the couch. “Jinny helped me put them all on a thing, so I can look at them on my phone and always have them!” She fished her phone from her bag, then fished out a smaller drive while Cory hopped up on the couch next to her. Her brow furrowed as she concentrated. “Okay, so I put this thing in here, and then it should pop up here--”

“So, they sent you lots of pictures? Or maybe videos! That would be excellent, because you could hear them as well as see them!” He placed his hand on her leg, and leaned in even more when she started to get information off the drive.

“Videos!” When she opened the little folder that appeared on her phone, the drive held over a hundred videos for her. Two years worth of video messages. “I already watched a bunch of them!” She thumbed through them and picked one that was recent, then waited while it loaded on her phone. Her lips parted to say something more, but she was cut off by the video starting playback.

Video Message Extract__08.12.2016__10001111101__R9X278T1

There were three men piled together in front of the camera, one of them leaning back as if he just pressed record. They were all big guys, much older than Eden, suggesting that these were among the oldest of Eden's six brothers. Unlike Eden, they all had light colored hair in the sandy to chestnut brown range, and unlike Eden's very dark brown eyes, they all had bluish-green eyes. Overall they just looked very different from her. Except for their warm smiles.

Hey Edie!

Everything's good here at the stead. We're all getting ready for winter here. Got plenty of water stored up.

Mom and I are busy canning like usual and getting the cold stores set up.

Everyone in town keeps asking about you.

We've been telling them how well you're doing, how happy you look in your messages. We all want to know more about your new friend. Where is he from? Does he make you laugh?

Is he being good to you? You know what to do if he treats you bad!

Shep!

One brother punched another brother right in the shoulder while another picked up with a grin.

Robin has a new friend now too. You should make him tell you about him!

We don't know why you're not getting our messages. We're trying to track down the problem, but we hope you don't stop sending yours. Mom and Dad would be really scared without hearing from you.

Alright, cutie, that's all for now! We love you! Talk soon!

========================

As the message came to an end, Cory leaned over and kissed the side of Eden's head lightly. “I guess they got it figured out then! Looks like a whole lot of messages in there.”

And there were. Most of the videos were just short sweet messages from one member of her family or other, giving her an update on life back home. It was occasionally a little like show and tell, with people bringing in something to show her. There was one where her brother, Sawyer, brought in a big fruit from the farm, and one of her brother, Robin, with a sheep (or at least it looked almost like a sheep) who he called Pinkie and said missed her. Eden’s mother and father made appearances, together and individually. They both talked about being proud of her for working so hard, both of them getting teary-eyed. Neither of them had dimples. There was one video where a very serious brother, Lock, talked about working in the medical clinic and getting nervous about delivering his first baby, and then a bunch of videos later he breathlessly talked about the experience. There was a video of her brothers Max and Shep who ended up just wrestling in front of the camera for five minutes. Then finally there was a video of Robin, holding a stuffed animal while he cried about how much he missed her.

In the end, Eden couldn’t watch them all that very first night. But it was enough. “I knew nothing bad had happened.” She smiled and leaned against Cory. “But it was a long time not to hear from them.”
Eden Parker
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

27,321 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 2016

“--for next week, please be prepared to discuss chapters one and two of your texts.” Professor Tylvern raised his voice to be heard over the bell signaling the end of the class period and then gestured towards the blackboard. The chalk erasers began wiping their way across the board in swirling patterns. “Ah, Ms. Parker, would you please see me before you go?”

Eden’s eyes widened as she finished packing up her books. The rest of her classmates in Introduction to Magical Properties chattered amongst themselves while they finished packing up and headed for the door. Chewing her lower lip, Eden made her way down the steps to the lectern, holding her knapsack in front of her, still not used to carrying the thing on her back.

Her eyes dropped to the index card Professor Tylvern held---the one she’d filled out on her first day.

“Ms. Parker, I couldn’t help noticing that your card is a little--shall we say that it is a little light on the details, hmm?”

Eden blushed, and hopped from one foot to the other. “Well, I tried to answer all the questions you asked.”

“Let’s see here then. Name--well, well yes we have that.” He drew his finger down the card. “Magical race or identity? This I see you left blank.”

Eden opened her mouth to respond, but he continued before she could say anything.

“--Magical skills, you have written ‘I don’t know.’” He raised both brows, peering at her over his glasses. “Now does that mean you have none, or you don’t know if you have any?”

Eden blushed and hopped to the other foot again. “Well, I don’t know which ones I have, but I do have some!”

“I see.” Professor Tylvern looked at her a moment, then back at her index card. “Previous magical education. ‘None.’” He looked at her again, then set the card down. “You are a bit of a mystery, Ms. Parker.”

She reached back between her shoulder blades to scratch an itch while nodding her head. “That’s why I’m here! See--I’m the only one in my family who can do magical anything, and there’s not even anyone on the planet I’m from who can do anything magical, so they sent me here to learn about myself and learn magic and I’ve been here an entire year and I’ve been saving money cause school is so expensive but then Cory told me that I could get something called the scholarship which would help me pay for it so I applied and they gave me one and so here I am finally starting school!” She beamed her dimpled smile at the professor.

He looked at her over his glasses again, then chuckled low. “I see. Why don’t we talk about those magical skills that you do have, hmm?”

“Okay! I can make things appear. Pink things.” She held up her hand and conjured a small sparkly pink floating heart. “And only pink things.” While the professor watched, the heart exploded into a shower of sparkles and dissipated. It was her favorite demonstration trick. “And sometimes when I try to move things or do magic to something, the thing turns pink.”

“I see.” Professor Tylvern clicked open his pen and started writing things down on her index card. “Anything else?”

Eden hopped from one foot to the other, shifting her knapsack so she could reach behind her to scratch between her shoulder blades again. “Umm.” She shrugged. “I don’t think--oh! I never get sick.”

“You never get sick?”

“Yeah, I heal super duper fast, and I never get sick.”

“That is a special skill indeed.” Professor Tylvern smiled at her. He wrote on the card again, and then looked back up at her. “It appears you are on a magical journey, young lady. We will do what we can to unravel the mystery, hmm?”
Eden Parker
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

27,321 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late October 2016

“The thing is, I've been having a little trouble at school.” Eden pulled a smushed up pillowcase from her shoulder-bag. The pillowcase was full of feathers, nearly all of them pink---the usual shade of things touched by her magic. “I'm supposed to turn a white feather black. But--” She thrust the bag towards Cane, holding it open like a trick-or-treater, but showing him that the vast majority of the feathers in the bag were pink.

An amused snort escaped him before it could be reined in. His eyes rose to meet hers somewhat apologetically, and he took the bag gently from her grasp. “But,” he went on, finishing the sentence for her. “You pinkwash them instead. Good job.” Was he teasing her? When she was coming to him for help? Yes, yes he was. Maybe he was more sibling just now than teacher.

Eden giggled at herself. It was, after all, something of a ridiculous problem to have and she knew that. Plus she was used to getting teased by her brothers. It didn't faze her. She lifted her shoulder in a little shrug. “It's just that my professors keep talking about reaching the source of your magic and learning to control it. And with all the other students they can talk to them about the specific kind of magic they have and how it works and with me they don't know what to say to help me and it's very confusing.” She frowned, reaching behind her and beneath her jacket to scratch at her back.

Frowns looked entirely out of place in Eden's expression, so much so that it wiped the teasing grin right off Cane’s face. To their left in his gym was a three foot thick, blue foam mat beneath a set of white straps that hung from the ceiling. Cane began to drift in its direction, his eyes on the handful of feathers he'd fished from the depths of the pillowcase. “If I recall correctly, yer parents can't help ya with that question either. Right?” He dropped down onto the edge of the mat with a soft grunt, setting the pillowcase in his lap and replacing the feathers.

“No one in my family can do the things I can do,” she confirmed. Eden followed him to the mat, moving to sit next to him.

Cane recalled the smiling faces of her family members in the photos she had shown him. A thought occurred to him. “Were you adopted?”

She lifted the strap of her shoulder bag up over her head and set it on the floor next to the mat. “What's adopted?”

“Mm. It's when a person takes in another's child and brings it up as their own. Not their flesh an' blood offspring, but family nonetheless.” Cane leaned back a little, propped up by a hand, and stared up at the ceiling for a moment. Hopefully he wasn't opening Pandora's box by bringing this all up. “I asked 'cause it didn't appear as though ya share any of the same physical traits as yer family.”

“That's cause I'm the only girl.” Something about the words---the way she said them quietly and off-hand---suggested it was something she had thought often but rarely said aloud. Eden’s frown deepened. She sat there a moment, her face unusually tense with concentration. “Where would they have gotten me from?”

Alarms bells went off in Cane's mind that had him backpedaling quickly. He hadn't meant to upset her. “Well, now, I don't really -- it was jes' an observation. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, all right?” He reached over with his free hand to pat her leg gently, a soothing sort of gesture that was meant to convey he was there for her and things would be fine. “If ya want, there're things I can do that'll give ya answers. I can tell ya who, what, where, when, how.” Why was not usually something his magical skills could divine.

Eden nodded, barely, at the touch of his hand on her leg. There was a place, somewhere, in the back of her mind that maybe always knew that she was something of an odd fit. But until Cane had explained the word 'adopted' she had never had a way to explain it. Eden sat there for a long time. Maybe it made her weak---although she rarely thought in those terms---but she wanted Cory.

She nodded finally and turned to look at him. “Could you?” Then she hastily added. “I can pay for it, if it's a test of some kind.”

Cane was already watching her profile carefully for further signs of distress, so when she turned to look up at him, they locked eyes. Three whole seconds suspended in thoughtful silence. Then he blinked and looked down at the pillowcase in his lap. “Yeah. Yeah, we can do that. I'm a man of many talents, but this is my biggest claim to fame, so to speak. I've spent more time practicing etiological blood alchemy than most humans have been alive. It's a test, yes,” he confirmed, nodding. “Fully comprehensive. How long it takes will depend on how radical your biological makeup is. But you'll have the answers to all yer questions when it's done.” Cane passed the feather-filled pillowcase back to Eden, glancing back up at her face, hoping she'd catch his drift.

Eden nodded slowly. She didn't know what a lot of those words meant. She reached behind her to scratch at her back again, but his passing her the pillowcase interrupted the movement and she reached to take it from him. She pushed to her feet. “Okay.” She'd heard the word 'blood' there. So she stuck her hand out and down towards him as if he was just going to do something to her right there.

Now it was Cane's turn to frown. “You all right, cher?” He reached out to touch her wrist, gently signaling he didn't need anything from her right this second.

“Oh.” She blushed a little and smiled. She brought her hand back to hold the pillowcase to her chest. Her smile was a little weak, but it was there. “I want to go home.” Where exactly that was maybe wasn't entirely clear.

He exhaled a quiet breath through his nose, concern softening into an apologetic smile. “How 'bout'cha go on, then? Give that fella of yers a call. Get yer mind off things fer now. We can set up a time next week fer you ta come to Panacea. Bit more of a sterile environment than here.” Cane's smile turned sly, teasing. He winked at her. “Then we can get things going, yeah?”

“Monday?” Eden nodded and smiled a little more, starting to return to her old self, but she was a little eager. Her eyes hung on him while she stuffed the pillowcase back into her bag.

Cane gave a singular, decisive nod of affirmation. “Monday.” He pushed up from the mat to stand as well, arms spreading in silent offer for another hug. “I got this, cher. Don't you go frettin' none.”
Eden Parker
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

27,321 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 2016

“I'm a little worried about you, wallaby.” Cory frowned as he started to tug off his rain-wet clothes in the bathroom. “You're still itching, and I thought that would be gone by now.” He thought it would be gone the next day.

She bounced into the bathroom and offered him his clean and dry pajama pants to change into, then immediately reached to scratch her back again, her smile fading a little. “I haven't really been paying attention. But I guess it is itching more than it should.”

“You haven't been... Honey, you normally heal overnight, but you've itched in that spot for the last several days. Either you're being exposed to something every day, or there's something else going on.”

Eden tugged on her t-shirt, pulling it away from her back and then tried to look behind her as if she could see her back that way. She turned in a circle. When she realized that wouldn't work, she turned back to Cory, pulling her shirt up to her shoulders and showing him. “Does it look funny?”

In fact, it did look funny. The skin between her shoulder blades had a red blotchy rash, the skin just slightly raised in an uneven pattern, stretching from beneath the nape of her neck down along her spine to her mid back. It was obvious she had been scratching too---the areas she could reach were redder and puffier.

“You've got a rash.” Cory turned her so that her back was to the mirror, then went to find a hand mirror. He held it up for her so she could see. “It looks pretty bad babe. I think you need to get it checked out.” The worry was evident on his face when she looked at him. “I know you're supposed to see Cane tomorrow, but maybe you need to see a doctor too?”

“But I've never been to a doctor before.” She looked at the hand mirror, her head tipping to one side. Then she let her t-shirt drop again. “Maybe it'll go away tomorrow?” She looked up at him, her dark eyes wide with uncertain hope.

“Maybe it will, but if it doesn't, or if it comes back. Promise me you'll get it checked out?” Cory reached over to her, and touched her face. “I know it's hard to think of something happening to you when you've never been injured or sick for more than a day. Maybe that's what's bothering me about it.” He followed his words up with a kiss. “I love you, and would rather have it be nothing than something.”
Eden Parker
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

27,321 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still October 2016

“I'm not sure the stuff you got at the school was doing any good.” Cory took the new ointment Cane had given Eden as he sat down on the bed beside her. She stretched out on her stomach so he could see her back. The rash was getting worse. It wasn't spreading, confined to the center of her back between her shoulders, but it was redder than before, and the raised splotches were more bumpy.

“It’s not spreading though!”

“No, it’s not. Does it hurt, honey?”

“Yeah. A little bit.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rings of Honor Forum Index -> The Streets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: