Dueling House Proposition / Discussion

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Lilith Anderson
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lilith Anderson »

For some IC flair, allowing companies/people/brands/etc to sponsor teams would be cool. It doesn't have any impact on game play but gives people who maybe don't duel a chance to interact with it. Could have a thread for sponsors and people on the teams could get swag or kickbacks or benefits from the sponsors. Like... Team Steel, Sponsored by Hangman Distillery (and others), members of Team Steel eat free on Fridays at Hangman and the Sassy Owl. Stuff like that.
Well, I looked my demons in the eyes
laid bare my chest, said "Do your best, destroy me.
You see, I've been to hell and back so many times,
I must admit you kind of bore me."

~Ray Lamontagne-Empty
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

I think that actually goes hand in hand with Mallory's idea.
Mallory wrote:I love this idea, especially people contributing to a prize pool. It lets people promote their characters’ businesses and / or abilities, gives them a chance to flaunt their stuff while sweetening the pot for the competitors.
That way it's not limited to just prize winners ( though sponsors could totally add to a prize pool if they like ).

I'm all for more roleplay ability and wouldn't mind making a sponsor thread and having it linked to the house / points thread.
Mallory
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Mallory »

Bat Outta Hell wrote:
DUEL Olivia wrote:I'm drawing a blank of what Fire could be replaced with. Going to need a bit.

House of Sands? Goes with the rings.
House of Blood? Goes with.. well, you know! Blood in the rings.
House of Honor?
House of Stone (or some sort of Rock)

Then it's rock (Stone), paper (Wyld because trees), scissors (Steel)

So meta
yesssss. I love that it corresponds to rock, paper, scissors, given how often the duels are described with that analogy. Steel, Stone, and Wilds is perfect, and they’re simple themes that peopke can dig into in different ways – with prizes, outfits, expressing philosophies, what have you.

I enjoy the banners, Liv.
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

The first Dueling Houses event will be coming to an end on the 4th of October. The last day of duels being counted will be Wednesday the 3rd. I'll then crunch numbers and award prizes to their winners.

With the new cycle comes new events, which is why I've come to the decision to relax the current rules so that this becomes more of an addon to the game and not a full blown tournament with official prizes.

So, what *will* happen this coming cycle:

Dueling Houses will be going into its Off Season. The houses will continue, points will still happen, but this will simply be for roleplay honor and not much anything else. The rules of being sorted into a house will be relaxed and players can choose to join any house they wish, or leave their current house to join another one.

The point system will be:

Any duel, vs house, vs another house, vs anyone: points will just be counted by wins and losses. 4 points for a win, 3 points for a tie, 2 points for losses. Since this is off season and things are going to be relaxed, there will be no point increases for shut outs.

tl;dr

1. Dueling Houses will be going into its off season for the fall cycle.
2. There will be no prizes beyond bragging rights / honor.
3. Points will be: 4 for wins, 3 for ties, 2 for losses. House restrictions are removed. No shut out bonus. Nightly restrictions are removed.
4. Players can join any house, no restrictions. Players can also leave a house at any time to join another. The points they gained at their old house will stay with the old house while any new points gained will go to the new house.

Please don't feel like you have to duel! This is the off season, that's why the rules are more relaxed. Duel at a pace you're comfortable with and be sure to take breaks. Never -ever- feel like you have to duel.

Players who are interested in throwing in roleplay prizes? Feel free. Players who would like to add things to their Dueling Houses headquarters? Feel free! The three house threads are linked below:

House of the Wilds - The Adventurers Lodge
House of Stone - Pillars of Olympus
House of Steel - The War Room

Sponsor Prizes Thread

-----

This off season will also be used for discussion. Interested in rules, want to see something changed, etc? Feel free to comment here or DM me on discord / PM me on the forums in private.

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”