Schools Out.. Momentarily (Warning: Language)

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Nayun
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Lily of the Valley

Location: Her home or dojo, both found bordering the New Haven and Battlefield Park districts.

Schools Out.. Momentarily (Warning: Language)

Post by Nayun »

Dragon's Gate Manor — The night of January 16th, 2022

"It'll be fine! No one's here.. She cleared the whole place out, trust me." said one voice.

Another spoke up — this one unsure. "I don't know about this.."

The former voice replied, "Listen. It'll be fine. Look, I have this. If anything happens? Bang. Easy."

She wasn't sure what it was but it was easy to assume by the usage of bang that it was a firearm. Nayun continued to listen from outside of the room after being alerted by the sound of a window breaking.

"Shit's cozy and the bitch sends us off? Fuck that." the first voice continued. "So we might as well take something for it. You know? Pain and suffering."

She had seen them earlier aiding in the moving efforts. Possibly low level employees? There is always going to be one or two bad apples among a group, so this wasn't exactly a surprise.

The sounds of their voices though, she wondered how long.. Possibly late teens? Early twenties? She got a better look at them once she decided to enter the room all together. Unnoticed, except when she finally spoke up.

"I suggest you leave." her monotone offering no real threat, as well as the sight of her without a weapon.

"SHIT!" the unsure one spoke up after the sound breaking glass met the air. That's one piece of manor artwork that would never grace the walls again.

"I told you! I told you!" he continued. His hands already up.

Light stubble, crack in the voice, terrible posture. It matches up with the idea Nayun had in mind for possible age, but she did ask. All while the other boy was quickly fumbling around for something — that something being a revolver he now pointed at the woman.

"How old are you?" she asked.

Only to be met with, "Fuck off, cunt." his words big yet she could see his hand trembling.

"S-sixteen, Miss..! My friend—" one began, which then saw the weapon wielding one counter with a rapidly-growing-higher-pitched, "ShuT THE FUCK UP! You!" the latter meant for Nayun and coming with a jerking motion of the gun forward. "Put your hands up!"

And she did just that. She held up her hands but continued to stare. The gun jerked then to the side, followed with the order of - "Over there! Stand in the corner!"

And so she complied.

Nayun stood there and watched as one ordered the other to continue, and the other doing just that but nervously looking from his own ill-doings, to the brandished gun, and then back.

An hour and twenty minutes passed as this continued. Nayun was led from one room to another while different objects and items were seized. Small, but valuable ones being priority. It seemed as if they had been cataloging for a bit.

"Let's GO.." the nervous one said after grabbing the final item, what looked to be a rather old candleholder of ornate make.

"Just.. turn around and stare at the wall, and don't move. At all." the one in charge commanded and Nayun turned in compliance.

There was shuffling of footsteps then. Rapid from one, slow from another. She could hear the quicker steps going down the hall, but the other seemed to have paused nearest to the doorway.

And that's when the gunshot sounded. Nayun felt the bullet rip through her back and she stumbled forward against the wall. The sounds of footsteps followed, just as rapid as those before it — then windows breaking.

. . .

Within twenty minutes the Watch had come onto the scene. News of the break in and shooting would be released to the public the very same night, though more details would come in the morning.

The Baron of Dragon's Gate is alive and in their words: "In good shape." One of the assailants has been identified as a former faculty member of the Dragon's Gate Dueling Sword, while information on the second is currently withheld due to the suspect being a minor.
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Re: Schools Out.. Momentarily (Warning: Language)

Post by BardGallant »

Later that evening a courier arrived at the Dragon's Gate Dueling School with a package addressed to Baroness Nayun Takamine. The package was wrapped in plain brown paper but a silk blue ribbon was tied around it in an elegant bow. Affixed to the package was a letter, which read as follows.

Honorable Lady Takamine,

I am most distressed to have learned of the assault you endured at the hands of the cowardly, villainous swine who took it upon themselves to burgle the Dragon’s Gate Dueling School while it was (mostly) empty this evening. However, I am much relieved to discover that you have emerged from this terrible encounter relatively unharmed and are in good health. It is my sincere hope that you accept this small token of my esteem and that it helps you find some peace while you recover from your ordeal. I know that it cannot replace the items stolen nor repair the damage done, but it is the very least I can do. If there is any other way that I may assist you in seeking retribution for the trauma you experienced this evening, please do not hesitate to recruit me to your cause. May the heinous curs who committed these most grievous crimes be found and brought swiftly to justice.

Yours sincerely,

- Sheridan “Dris” Driscol

The parcel itself contained a carefully packed box containing an additional note card reading "Sending Warm Hugs", a pair of super soft and cozy socks, a floral scented soy candle, rose scented bath bomb, and a package of champagne flavored candy. The card was additionally signed "Take care of yourself! <3 - Dris"

(Source from Etsy: Sending Hugs Gift Box. )
Lisa Takamine
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Lisa Takamine »

Takamine Residence -- Battlefield Park Later in the evening of January 16th, 2022

BANG!

The room went silent while several noses filled with the scent of gunpowder. Blood pooled on the ground after gravity took hold of the body which was slumping onto the floor.

“Now does someone else want to tell me why they left my wife unwatched and alone at Dragon’s Gate?” Lisa asked before she removed the clip from the handgun, discarded the bullets to the table in front of her and tossed the weapon onto the corpse on the floor. Her claws waved to the nearest person as if to say take care of that mess before eyes filled with anger turned to the others around the room.

A few answered, but none pulled a volatile reaction from Lisa like the first person had. No one was giving the woman what she wanted and the way her claws began to dig into and through layers of the wooden table in the center of the room said as much.

Finally a voice from near the window spoke up, quiet and raspy. “We have them cornered in an alley near the Pawn Shop on 37th and Fuath. We have options as to how you wish to handle this boss.”

Eyes moved from the older man with wolfish features by the window to Lisa who was already prowling for the closed doors. “See to it that a donation is made to the Watch’s canine unit. And thank them for seeing to it that the child was not harmed in the apprehension of the Barony’s goods. A shame that they had to witness the teacher’s death though.” Lisa angled a look over her silk covered shoulder, met the man’s gaze as he nodded as she left.

---

The watch credits the swift apprehension of the assailants involved in the shooting of Baron Takamine at Dragon’s Gate due to the heightened skill of their local Canine Unit 17. They were located in the alley northwest off of the 2800 block of Fuath, stolen goods still in hand. One suspect, a minor, has been brought in on charges of breaking and entering and possession of stolen goods, while the other suspect is now deceased.
Nayun
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Lily of the Valley

Location: Her home or dojo, both found bordering the New Haven and Battlefield Park districts.

Post by Nayun »

The morning of January 17th, 2022

RhyDin netizens are split over the recent shooting of Nayun Takamine, duelist and current Baroness of Dragon's Gate, or as some older sports fans may recall it as: The 8th Ring.

A debate has been sparked on the manor itself [The Dragon's Gate Dueling Sword] ranging from disapproval of the current system as one vocal netizen put it "Why the **** is some school a prize? What idiot would put people who like cutting each other with blades in charge of kids?", to others replying, "It's an abuse of power! This isn't how the school was meant to be used! She shouldn't even have been allowed to close it!"

Among the debate are also those who claim that the Baroness deserved the attempt on her life.

One tweeter post has already gained 1,500 likes.

Sparkle Cat 🐈 @xo_fuckthewatch_xo
Bitch deserved what she got. Play stupid games win stupid prizes lol

We were able to briefly interview a Takamine Estate employee this morning. When asked about the Baroness' current status and if the statement by the Watch were correct: " No comment."

The reporter then asked " Will the Baroness be able to fight in her challenge against former Governor Sheridan Driscol on Saturday? There is speculation that she may vacate the title or request an extension to allow for a possible petition of loyalty to Overlord Ilnaren. "

" I have been instructed to say that there will be no change to the scheduled challenge. Baron Takamine intends to defend her title and any statement contrary is false. "

When attempting to inquire about which hospital the Baroness is currently staying at the reporter was told: " This is private property. Failure to leave will result in the use of force. "
Ebon Ilnaren
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black Knight

Post by Ebon Ilnaren »

Baroness Takamine,

I was appalled to learn of the incident at Dragon's Gate manor yesterday morning, both the burglary and the shooting. Regardless of any issues of alignment, this assault against you is an offense to the sport. I understand and am pleased that those responsible have been caught and dealt with as they deserve.

If there is anything that I can do or provide to you, on behalf of the Arena and from one duelist to another, it is yours. Beyond that, I offer my hopes for a swift and sure recovery.

At your service,
Ebon Ilnaren
Nayun
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Lily of the Valley

Post by Nayun »

Watch Detention Center — The night of January 17th, 2022

".. Oh shit, oh shit.." Officer Meyer's troubles started at the sight of an empty cell and only increased at the obvious signs of struggle.

While this would be considered yet another Watch embarrassment a bulletin was nonetheless released: Suspect linked to the Dragon's Gate Dueling Sword robbery missing. Last seen in the Seaside District.

The Watch had been reluctant at first to release the suspects name and age, the escape from the detention center or the possibility of this being a kidnapping had changed their mind.

A photo of the suspect, along with their name was released alongside the bulletin: Anthony Stone, Age Sixteen.
Nayun
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Lily of the Valley

Post by Nayun »

Unknown Location — Early January 18th, 2022

"The hunter became the hunted.. One has been lost to me, but you.. you remain."

Startled. The voice met Anthony's ears and he was suddenly once more in a panic. Yelling, pleading in the darkness surrounding him. Where he was, how he got there, it was all a blur. He was within the cell at the detention centers youth wing, and then the next moment he had been taken; by one of the very same guards that worked there.

"Where am I?! I'm sorry.. please, I'm sorry!" he pleaded.

His pleads were met with coughs. Soft, wheezing coughs. One after another.

Then silence.

"I didn't.. please don't kill me! Please! I beg you!"

"The light." came the voice the capture finally recognized.

The flickering lantern light that now illuminated the damp stone room was the final confirmation. It was the woman from the Dragon's Gate Dueling Sword. She sat upon an old chair while another woman stood beside her holding the now lit lantern.

Already in a panic, it was only reinforced by the sight as the boy quickly backed himself up against the cold stone wall behind him. Apologizing over, and over, and over.. and pleading.

The response he was given came in coughs or silence.

"What are you going to do..?"

His question finally prompted a reaction other than staring. He watched the woman raise from the chair, slowly — and the other woman reaching to try and help her, only to be denied with a gesture of the hand.

Nayun stood tall and looked down at the groveling boy. Then came the soft sound of a click and the glide of a blade being drawn...

... and she tossed it to the boy. With a clatter it came to land in front of him.

His startled, widening eyes looked from the clattering sword and then up to the woman in confusion — only to transform into fear as he heard her say,

"Let us continue the hunt.."
Nayun
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Lily of the Valley

Post by Nayun »

Interview Video, Posted Online and shown by select news stations — January 21st, 2022

Those familiar with the Dragon's Gate Manor, the school known as the Dragon's Gate Dueling Sword was the locale; though those without that knowledge would be told soon enough — "I'm inside the dueling school.."

The feminine voice spoke once more, "There she is.."

The scene shifting in front of the camera as a corner was turned soon before those words were spoken. The Baron of Dragon's Gate looked to be in the process of training, yet appeared to also be showing signs of wear and pain in the process.

It wouldn't take long for the intruder to be noticed, the video blurred suddenly as the person holding the phone was turned about and soon enough facing what looked to be men in suits. "That's mine!" came suddenly as the device is snatched and held away.

"Leave her be," spoke a monotone voice out of sight of the video; which had gone black due to the device most likely being pocketed.

"Are you sure?" said a gruff voice.

"She is nothing more than a rabbit." came in response.

Another pause, then finally the video returned to something other that blackness and audio. A brown haired woman was shown briefly, but once she gained control of the device she aimed it quickly at the tall suit wearing fellow, then quickly back over to the woman.

Nayun stood there with blade at her side, then slowly lowered herself atop a nearby stool.

"The reason for your intrusion?"

"O.. Oh! Well, ah.." the woman behind the video sounded suddenly put on the spot. A soft ahem is heard before, "It's only right that the public know the condition of the Baroness of Dragon's Gate! You've caused quite the scandal by closing the school.. and it's being said that the break in was the result of your decision."

There's a long, awkward pause. Nayun stared while the woman behind the device waited for an answer.

"Baron." Nayun finally said.

"Excuse me?"

"Baron.. The official standings state that I am the Baron of Dragon's Gate. Do not differentiate me from my peers due to gender."

The pause then continued, followed by a touch of laughter from the videos creator. "Fine. Baron.. Either way. Do you have a response?"

"The purpose of this building means little, as it has changed over time. Museum, private space for training.. and only recently within the histories of the duels has it been returned to its foundation." Nayun said while lifting her own blade and giving it a look.

"So you can see why some are upset? You said you closed the school because you wanted challenges. Aren't you worried about the students?"

In the video Nayun is seen staring at her blade for a few passing seconds before lowering it to rest across her lap.

"What excuse would you like to hear? I am told there was a contingency plan. What is the issue?"

"This was their school, their home. Relocation doesn't fix that. You took away their stability."

This brought silence in the room once more while Nayun stared blankly forward in the video.

"If you would like a suitable excuse, I do not think this will suffice. I can state that the future of the children and faculty are important, and that what is offered by the Harker's Academy would be far better than the Dueling Sword, but that would be just an observation and not my true feelings. The well being of the children and the livelihood of the staff mean little to me. They are beneath my pursuit.

All I want is for a challenge and to be satisfied with the result.. In victory or defeat. Everything beyond that selfish desire is nothing."

".. That is a bit disappointing." the person behind the video said. ".. And the recent detention center break in? Are you in any way involved?"

"The boy has been taken care of."

"Taken care of? What do you mean by that? Did you have him killed?" the woman asked but it seemed that the Baron had already begun to stand.

"You've already taken too much of my time. Leave me to my training."

This had been the magic words. While the woman protested loudly about her want for answers, she quickly found herself taken by the men from earlier and dragged out from the room.

The final shot of the Dragon's Gate Baron is of her in the distance setting into a stance and raising her blade.
Nayun
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Lily of the Valley

Post by Nayun »

After the Challenge — January 22nd, 2022

The lights of Rhydin shimmered through the darkened windows of the car and played across her face.

" This nights combat, though brief.. is enjoyable.

This is all I wanted.

And yet I still feel empty..

.. How interesting.

in a fleeting moment you brought joy, yet now it is only a memory.

How fitting. "

The blood of the dragon which dulled her pain had run its course. Her back throbbed in pain, her face felt hot.. The two handmaidens had a worrisome look on their faces one moment, when she opened her eyes after brief darkness they were soothing smiles.

There was no need to save face. Their aid would not be denied as she was helped from the car and across the grounds of the estate. The light sounds of wood smacking filling the cold nights air and in the distance the vision of mock combat was taken in.

The boy she had offered a hand to, now a student, and one of the suit wearing guards of the estate. One brushing aside attempted blow after blow while offering words of encouragement and pointers, while the other - the now student - nodding and doing his best to consider a different approach.

And there watching is Lisa.

"Take me there.." Nayun said.

The handmaidens wished to bring her inside to gauge what possible damage had been done, bathe, and then redress their lady's wound — but could not deny the request and instead led Nayun over to the bench.

Nayun stopped them part way, wishing to walk the remainder herself and with gritting teeth did she come to sit beside Lisa.

They didn't speak. There was no need to ask meaningless questions or give meaningless answers.

The sounds of wooden blades singing the chorus of the night.

That is all there is.

and yet I feel the same joy whenever I lay eyes upon you.

- end -

Return to “The Arena”