Danny Dubek & The Compass of Coronado

There are many paths to tread...

Moderators: Alexia Longbow, Dah

Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Danny Dubek & The Compass of Coronado

Post by Dah »

Eva’s warm, slender form pressed up against Danny’s side, a smooth, tan leg draped across his hips. Wrapped in his arm, her cheek rested upon his shoulder as she traced a well-defined pectoral with her delicate fingers. Expressive eyes turned up to him, studying his face.

The weight of his loss was, once again, settling in. She could read it in those warm, green eyes. Whatever blissful distraction their passions had provided had clearly faded.

“You don’t blame yourself, do you?” She asked, finally.

She caught Danny's gaze as he lowered his green eyed gaze towards her.

“No.” He said it simply, but the uncertain, weak tone of his voice told a very different story.

“You know there was nothing we could have done, right?” She asked.

Danny nodded, his eyes distant and his voice quiet. “I just can’t believe he’s gone.”

“You were close. Weren’t you?”

The corners of Danny’s mouth ticked upwards for a moment. His eyes turned back down to her as he nodded. “He was my best friend.”

“How did you two meet?” Eva inquired.

“When I was seventeen, I submitted an article to Reuters. I thought that was how it worked. You send in some random story and you’re suddenly a jet setting journalist.”

“The blissful ignorance of youth.” Eva grinned.

Danny chuckled. “Well, Ken managed to get a hold of it and saw promise in me.”

“Wow.” Her brows raised. “Lucky.”

“Pure and blind, yeah.” His smile faded.. “We kept in contact for the next year. We actually met in person for the first time when I graduated secondary school. Ken took me on as a sort of apprentice and we’ve been traveling and working together ever since.”

“And your parents were okay with this?” She asked.

A bitter laugh left him. “Well, mum was gone and my father…well. He couldn’t have cared less about anything that I did.”

“Sounds familiar.” Eva murmured.

“Fucked up family, too?” Danny asked.

Eva’s eyes lowered. “Yes. Just the other way around. My father was…amazing. Adventurous, clever…brilliant historian. If he wasn’t busy looking after me, he was off at a dig site. But my mother was cold. Manipulative. Obsessed with wealth. Dad wasn’t. So, of course, she resented him and took it out on me. I knew she wasn’t faithful to him, but I never told him. Just couldn’t stand the idea of hurting him like that.”

Danny’s experience was so radically different, he had no idea what to say. He could only gaze at her with sympathy.

Eva let out a deep breath and glanced up at him. “What happened to your mother, if I may ask?”

“Cancer.” Danny said. “I was fourteen when she was diagnosed. Incredible woman. Even more incredible mother. She had the most beautiful singing voice. Even at the end.”

“It sounds like you were close.” Eva noted the smile that formed when he spoke of her. A smile utterly absent when discussing his father.

Danny nodded, a sigh passing his lips. “My dad was basically no help, so it fell on me to take care of her. You believe that? Scared shitless fourteen, fifteen year old kid watching his mother wither away until she was practically nothing. By the time she finally passed, I was…I was glad. She’d endured so much agony, so much fear… I’d have given anything to spare her another second of it.”

“I’m sorry.” She said, golden eyes peering up.

Danny turned his eyes down to hers. “Sounds like your dad was in the same class.”

“Yeah. He was…well, not to put too fine a point on it, much like you and Greene.” She said, a distant smile forming on her lips. “He loved history and loved exploring. I remember sitting up with him in his study, listening to him talk about this ancient civilization or that lost artifact. He never cared about the money. For him, it was about the adventure.”

“We’d have gotten along.” Danny smiled.

“You know, I believe you would have.” Eva smiled, but there was pain behind her words.

“Can I ask what happened?”

Eva took a deep breath and steeled herself. She never got this vulnerable, especially with a man she’d just bedded. Usually the partners she chose were disposable. Good for a fun night, but never anything more. Conversation certainly was never on the menu, let alone discussions about her past. She was surprised to find that it wasn’t at all unpleasant.

“He went off to Mogadishu in search of the Benin Bronzes. He’d received a tip from a contact.” She explained. “Before he could make landfall, pirates attacked his ship. He and the crew were trapped inside when they set it ablaze.”

Eva had once been such a mystery to Danny, but now, as she bared her soul, he felt he was beginning to understand her.

“I was thirteen.” Eva said in a quiet, pained tone.

“Is that why you do this?” He asked. “To honor him?”

“To be honest, I don’t know how proud he’d be of the things I’ve done.” Eva’s eyes refused to meet his. “My motivations are probably less… altruistic than he’d like.”

“Money?” Danny asked.

“No.” Eva said. “I have money. What I want is to write my name into the pages of history. I want the name Eva Morales to echo through time on the same level as Magellan, Drake…Coronado. I want immortality.”

“You want to live forever?” Danny asked with a little smirk.

“No.” She said, “I want to be remembered. I don’t want to be forgotten.”

Danny’s brow furrowed as he finally caught her eyes again. “I don’t think a woman like you could be forgotten if you tried.”

There wasn’t an insincere bone in the boy’s body. It amazed her. The cynical side of her tried like hell to find anything to doubt behind those earnest eyes, but there was nothing. He set butterflies in her stomach like no man she’d ever met before. Eva buried her face into his neck, breathing in the scent of his freshly showered skin.

“I’m glad I met you.” She whispered, and somewhere deep down, she was surprised that she meant it.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

The morning sunlight blazed down from the sky above as Marcus Donovan’s jeep rolled to a stop outside the rickety old hotel. Of course he wasn’t going to accept such shabby accommodations. A man of his station demanded more than a filthy hovel in the middle of some dirt farming village. The commute was a bit of a hassle, but in the end, well worth it in his estimation.

Matteo stepped out of the hotel, a pair of pistols strapped over his olive green shirt with a shoulder holster. His eyes hidden behind a pair of wrap around Oakleys, he approached his boss.

“Buenos días.” He greeted Donovan. The older man wore a cream colored linen shirt over a pair of trousers, forgoing his usual suit for once to combat the stifling heat.

“Matteo.” Donovan acknowledged him dispassionately. “Any progress?”

The mercenary fell into step with his employer, moving into the hotel. “Nada.” He shook his head. “We were at it all night, but we’re still no closer.”

Donovan stopped and turned him, his face grave and stern. “How is that possible?”

“We’re operating on very little. With the chamber destroyed, it’s not like we can go back and double check.” Matteo explained.

“Disappointing.” Donovan said, his voice dripping with accusation.

“We’re doing our best, jefe.”

“Then I suggest you double your efforts, Mister Mota. What I ask is not complicated and I expect results. Thus far, you have proved disappointing. If you are incapable of doing the very simple job you were hired to do, then I will find someone else who is.”

There weren’t many men who could make Matteo Mota feel small, but the old limey had a way about him. The money and influence to make a man like Matteo disappear and never be seen again. Matteo knew the value of fear very well. Hell, he often used it as his number one tool, in his bearing, in his look, in the weapons with which he adorned his exterior. But Donovan was unassuming. His menace was quiet. Concealed, but no less potent.

Donovan sneered as he turned from the young man, pushing through a metal door. The room was dark. Cold. A single light overhead shone upon a lone figure, tied to a chair. Strands of stringy gray hair hung before his bloodied face.

The screech of metal chair legs dragging across the concrete floor tore through the silence like a jagged blade. Blue eyes turned up slowly to glare weakly at Donovan as he sat.

“Hello, Kenneth.”

Ken Greene breathed deeply, his anger building. A night of vicious attempts at coercion had left him battered and bruised. He was certain from the pain in his side that he had at least one broken rib, but he was very much alive. It had taken all his strength to pull himself up from a fiery death back in the chamber. Even then, the victory was short-lived. The butt of a rifle met his face the second he’d stepped out into the jungle. For the rest of the night, Matteo interrogated him, eventually resorting to violence in a vain attempt to coerce the information out of him. Ken couldn’t tell him anything even if he wanted to; he’d completely missed the clue cast upon the walls.

Donovan crossed his right leg over his left, eyes scanning the beaten man in front of him. “My word, you look like you’ve had quite the evening.”

Ken glared and spat, a wad of red splatting on Donovan’s white shirt. Those sharp, cold eyes drifted down to the new stain.

“Come now, Mister Greene, we can discuss this as gentlemen, can we not?” Donovan asked, his voice dripping with condescension.

“Gentlemen? That’s rich coming from the man who had his lackeys beat the shit out of me all night.” Ken retorted. “Didn’t even have the courage to throw a punch yourself.”

“Ah, yes.” Donovan said, making a dismayed expression. “You’ll have to forgive Matteo. His instincts can be rather…aggressive.”

“You sick the dog and pretend to be disappointed when it attacks?” Ken glared through gray strands of hair.

Donovan chuckled quietly. “Desperate times, Kenneth. And these are indeed desperate times. You’re going to help us, Mister Greene.”

“I wouldn’t count on it.” Ken sneered defiantly.

“We needn’t be adversaries, Kenneth.” Donovan’s tone turned stern. “All I ask is your help in translating what little of the inscription we were able to copy before things became…unpleasant.”

“Even if I wanted to, it’s incomplete.” Ken said. “Hernan liked to use riddles. It’s kinda hard to figure out the answer with only part of the riddle.”

Donovan leaned forward, reaching into his back pocket. “But perhaps it can at least point us in the right direction.”

He slid a piece of paper with what they were able to copy of the clue scrawled across it. Ken didn’t even glance at it.

“I’m not helping you.” Ken growled.

Donovan’s keen eyes watched him with laser focus. “You will. Because you want to find it as much as I do. El Dorado is within our grasp. Think of it, Kenneth. The fabled city of gold, lost in the shadows for centuries. You could be the man who finally brings it into the light.”

“It’s temptin’. Won’t lie..” Ken said. “But I’d be handing it off to you. There won’t be anything left when you’re finished with it. I’d rather it remain lost forever than give it to someone like you.”

Donovan’s face remained stern, her brows knit in a stony glare. “You’re an obstinate man, Mister Greene. But I don’t believe you’ll be able to resist. I’ll just leave this here with you. We’ll talk again when you come to your senses.”

Donovan rose from his seat and walked to the door, leaving Ken to sit with the partial inscription. The urge to read what it said grew stronger by the second, but he would resist as long as possible. If he knew nothing, he could say nothing.

He only hoped Danny and Eva were faring better in their own research.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

Rays of sunlight cut through the blinds like translucent spears into the room. Danny stepped in from the bathroom, tugging a form-fitting henley over his toned torso. They talked all through the night until sleep finally took them both. But now, they found themselves exactly where they had left off; at a dead end.

Eva sat at the table, her raven hair tired back as she scribbled in her notebook intently. Danny stepped up behind her, his hands going to her shoulders. Eva leaned back against him, a pleasant smile crossing her face. Danny pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

It was a small moment of intimacy she was certainly not used to. But she couldn’t deny that she enjoyed it. It was as if there was a part of her that was starving for such tenderness and he was presenting it a smorgasbord.

“Are you hungry?” Danny asked.

“No, thank you.” Eva responded distractedly.

Danny tilted his head to peer over her shoulder, observing what she was scrawling across the page. At first, he didn’t recognize the words she wrote, but slowly, it dawned on him. The young journalist’s brows knit together.

“What are you writing?” Danny asked. “Is that what I think it is?”

Eva glanced black at him, a sly smirk on her face. “It’s the clue.”

Danny’s jaw nearly dropped. “But…how?”

“I saw it.” She glanced back

Danny eyed the woman dubiously. “…you saw it for a few seconds before everything went to hell. How can you possibly remember all of that?”

“Well,” Eva said, “I…might happen to have a photographic memory.”

“You what?”

“Close to.” Eva nodded. “I didn’t get this far in life simply on my charm and good looks.”

“So you remember everything?” Danny asked.

“Every bad date, every song I’ve ever heard, and every cryptic hint leading to lost mythical cities.” Eva said, a sly smirk tugging at her lips.

To say Danny was impressed would be an understatement.

“And this is accurate?”

“Yep.” She responded.

“Are you s-“

“It’s accurate.” Eva interrupted pointedly, looking him dead in the eye. “Now we just need to figure out what it says.”

“You didn’t happen to take a peak at a Chibcha to English translation book, did you?” He asked.

“Unfortunately, no.” She said. “Which kind of leaves us at square one.”

Danny sighed, trying to come up with anything that might aid them along in their quest. Suddenly, it clicked. His lips parted as one corner of his mouth tugged upwards into a lopsided grin.

“I have an idea.” He said. “But you might not like it.”

~~~~

Captain Luis Perez had spent most of his adult life serving the people of Bogotá as a police officer. Instilled with a sense of duty by his abuela, he devoted himself to the ideals of compassion and kindness, but maintained a strong thirst for justice upon any who would dare threaten his city. He’d joined the Policía Nacional as a young man and rose through the ranks. At fifty two years old, he had become quite popular amongst the people of Bogotá, often devoting what little free time he had to helping his community. No one could ever claim the man didn’t love his people.

As he thumbed through the latest in a pile of mind-numbing paperwork, his thoughts drifted to the warm, inviting sunlight just on the other side of his window. Somewhere nearby, a grill was cooking up something delicious and the scent was practically taunting him. It was sheer will that kept him from getting out of his chair and buying out the whole stand.

Perez leaned back, his chair creaking as he stretched. He resisted the urge to shut his eye for even a moment, knowing full well that he’d likely fall right to sleep. With age came wisdom, but at the expense of energy and he was running low. Perez was almost grateful when the knock came at his door.

“Come in.” He said.

His assistant peered in, a young officer whose last name he struggled to remember. Gutierrez? Something like that, he supposed. This far into his career, a lot of the names and faces blended together, especially the new ones. Still, he put a smile on his mustachioed face.

“Elena. What can I do for you?”

“Captain,” she said, “I have two people asking to see you.”

“Did they say what it was about?”

“No. Just that it was very important.” She said.

“Show them in.” He said.

The captain’s face fell when he saw the pair who walked through the door. The pasty british man and his companion who had broken into the Santuário de Nuestra Señora de Monserrat were back, the man looking a little worse for wear.

“Well.” Perez said. “You two just don’t learn do you?”

Danny put his hands up in a gesture of peace. “We’re not here for anything involving the monastery, I promise.”

“How refreshing.” Perez said with a deadpan delivery. “Where’s the old guy? He wise up and take off on you?”

He noted a slight twinge in the handsome stranger’s green eyes when he’d brought up the old man. He couldn’t quite place it, but it triggered something in the young man’s mind. Eva stepped forward.

“Please, Captain.” She pleaded. “We’ve been doing a bit of research and we came across something we think you may be able to help us with.”

Eva produced her notebook and set it on the desk in front of him. Perez seemed unamused as he eyed the book dubiously. His dark eyes turned back up to her.

“And why would I help you?” He asked.

“You mentioned that your roots go back to before the colonists arrived.” Danny explained. “We found something. Something that could very well be a key to one of the greatest mysteries of that time.”

Perez couldn’t deny his interest was piqued. Still, he was suspicious. This gringo wanders into his city, breaks into a sacred monastery, lies to him, and then has the nerve to ask for his assistance.

“You’re not filmmakers.” He said simply. “Are you?”

Danny and Eva exchanged glances. The jig was up.

“No.” Danny said quietly.

“Uh huh.” Perez nodded slowly. “And what, may I ask are you really doing in Colombia?”

“We’re searching for something.” Eva said, still trying to keep things as vague as possible.

“Let me guess.” Perez said. “El Dorado?”

Danny and Eva didn’t answer, but their silence was confirmation enough for the captain.

“Don’t look so surprised.” he said. “You aren’t the first treasure hunters I’ve run across. You certainly won’t be the last. Allow me to spare you any more wasted time. El Dorado? It’s just a fairy tale. A story people tell their children and grandchildren to put them to bed.”

“I don’t believe it is.” Danny said.

Perez laughed derisively. “Of course you don’t. You’re another in a long line of british white boys coming to Colombia to chase a myth. I have lived in this country my entire life. I’ve seen many like you, driven by pure delusion. And when you realize the truth and wander back where you came from? There’ll be many more.”

“But they won’t know what we do.” Eva said firmly to the captain.”We set out to find Coronado’s compass, but what we’ve found and seen…We’re close. Maybe it isn’t El Dorado, but something is out there. Something your ancestors would have wanted to be found.”

“And when we find it,” Danny added, “It’ll be yours once again.”

Perez watched them both in silence. They truly believed they had something here. He couldn’t decide if they were deluded or just naive, but he had to admire their tenacity. Besides, there may have been some truth in what they said. Afterall, what had happened to their older companion? The captain mulled it over for what felt like an eternity before finally giving into curiosity. He reached out and pulled her notebook toward him.

Dark, brown eyes scanned the page, instantly recognizing the writing. “This is Chibcha.” He said, brows furrowed. “Where did you find this?”

There was no reason to lie at this point, Danny figured. “We found it in an ancient chamber hidden deep in the forest.”

Perez shot him a doubtful look, but the sincere look on the young man’s face showed no hint of dishonesty.

“It’s true.” Eva confirmed. “What we saw in the Monastery led us there.”

His abuela had taught him the language when he was a boy, but it had been some time since he’d last read or spoken it. Perez went over the words again and again, making certain he understood it correctly.

“Can you read it?” Danny asked. “What does it say?”

Perez nodded. "Follow the path of Fura's tears, where immortality lies drowned. Return to her life eternal, and she'll guide you to the golden throne."

Danny and Eva both knew the story well. According to Muisca myth, Fura and Tena were the mother and father to human life on Earth, gifted with eternal youth until an act of infidelity turned them mortal, their bodies turned to mountainous peaks by the god Are.

“You said you found this in a chamber?” Perez asked them.

Danny nodded. “Hidden in an underground cave. Likely constructed around the 16th century.”

Perez was no slouch when it came to his country’s history. He knew much about Coronado’s search for the cities of cibola. A search that had begun around the time the younger man had indicated. Suddenly, he wasn’t so confident that the kid was delusional after all.

“What do you think it means?” She asked Danny quietly, as if the captain couldn’t hear.

“If I had to guess, I’d say it sounds like you’re headed to the Muzo mountains.” Perez said, drawing their attention.

Eva looked skeptical. "They've been mining those mountains for centuries," she said. "They'd have found something by now."

Perez knew she was right. Wherever this clue was trying to lead them, it was unlikely to be the mountains.

Danny shook his head. "What if it isn't in the mountains?" he asked. "I doubt Hernan would make it that obvious.”

Perez leaned back in his chair, studying the young man. “What are you thinking?”

“Offerings were made to the gods at Lake Guatavita." Danny said. “Right?”

"For the El Dorado Ceremony, yes," Eva nodded, regarding him curiously.

“‘Immortality lies drowned.’” Danny repeated the riddle. “If you were going to prove yourself, you’d need to be willing to make a sacrifice. Maybe even yourself.”

Eva's head tilted to one side, and she looked at him quizzically. "What, we drown ourselves in the lake?" she asked.

Danny shook his head. “Maybe its a test of endurance. He likely wanted the strongest and brightest for his civilization, right? Well, this would test that. And besides…it’s not the 1500’s. It’s not exactly like we need to hold our breath to dive.”

Perez watched the pair of them going back and forth, his skepticism growing with each passing moment. He cleared his throat loudly, hoping to bring them back to reality. "This is all very fascinating," he said in a wry tone. "Really. But what makes you think I'm going to allow this?"

Danny turned to face Perez directly, his eyes blazing with conviction. "Because a man who would steal everything from your country and sell it to the highest bidder is well on his way to El Dorado," he said firmly. "When he's done there won't be anything left."

Perez regarded him coolly, his expression unreadable. "And what happens when you get there?" he asked dubiously. "I suppose you'll just hand it over? The greatest treasure in history?"

"Yes," Danny replied without hesitation.

Perez raised an eyebrow. "Why?" he asked.

"Because it’s what your people deserve. Because it was what a good man would have wanted," Danny said simply.

Perez softened, putting the pieces together. The missing companion, the anguish in the young man’s eyes. This wasn’t a race to fortune and glory for him. This was personal. For a long, agonizing moment he considered his options before finally speaking.

“Well…” Perez said, “Tell me what you need.”
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

Hours passed, but the ever-stubborn Ken never broke. Even now, as he just sat in that dank, dark room, his head hung low, he was utterly silent. If not for the even rise and fall of his chest, one might assume he was dead.

He’d done his best to resist the urge to read the note Donovan placed before him, but temptation had won out eventually. Ken was able to formulate a general idea or location for the next step of the journey, but he’d be damned if he related the information to Donovan and his cronies. He just hoped Danny and Morales had the wherewithal to transcribe the information for themselves.

Donovan glared at the surveillance feed. Without that translation they were adrift. He knew there were people who spoke the language, but he didn’t dare involve outside parties. Who knew what it might say? They might claim the discovery for themselves, which would negate the entire point of this venture. In his mind, such a discovery would be waste in the hands of the Colombian government, or, worse, some moronic dirt farmer with no concept of its worth.

“Son of a bitch is stubborn. I’ll give him that.” Matteo said, the toothpick between his teeth shifting from side to side. Muscles, tattooed arms crossed over his chest as he leaned against the wall.

“So it would seem.” Donovan grumbled. “I underestimated Greene’s restraint. The man is useless to us. We’ll need to figure out another plan.”

“What do we do with him?” Matteo asked. “Don’t imagine we can just let him go and expect him to keep his trap shut.”

“No.” Donovan agreed, casting a severe glance to his subordinate. “No we cannot.”

Matteo understood the look his boss gave him all too well. Ken Greene wouldn’t be the first body he’d been asked to dispose of and he certainly wouldn’t be the last. In the pursuit of power, Donovan pulled no punches. It didn’t bother the mercenary. Hell, it was how he made his money. Still, offing a man as high profile as Ken Greene would get messy. Questions would inevitably be asked. In his line of work, Matteo wasn’t overly fond of being placed under the microscope.

“Is that smart?” Matteo managed to work through his nerves to ask. “World famous journalist and philanthropist goes missing, people are gonna ask questions.”

“Do us both a favor, Mister Mota.” Donovan said. “Leave the thinking to me. You’re ill equipped.”
Matteo’s knuckles cracked as his fist clenched tightly. Ruthlessness and wealth be damned, he was getting sick of being talked down to by this pencil necked old man. At the moment, he wanted nothing more than to show him what would have happened to any other man who dares speak to him like that.

“Make it quick.” Donovan said, pushing off of the wall.. Before he could reach the door, another of his men busted in. The young man was breathless, obviously having rushed over. It took him a second or two to recognize the man before him.

“Mister Donovan, I’ve been looking for you.” He said in relief.

“Well, you’ve found me.” Donovan said. “What is it?”

“Morales and the kid.” The excited young man said. “They’ve been spotted leaving Bogotá loaded with some serious equipment.”

“They’re alive?” He said, a hint of anger in his tone as that intense glare turned back to Matteo. The mercenary could physically feel the weight of accusation in his employer’s eyes. He could kick himself for not taking the shot when he had a chance. He’d underestimated them and assumed there would be no escape from the collapsing bridge, but clearly he’d mistaken.

“Where the hell did they get equipment from? Everything they had was here. We tore their room apart.” Donovan said.

“Our source said the police are helping them.” the messenger said. “He said it looked like they were grabbing scuba gear.”

Donovan’s mind raced trying to piece together what they could have possibly found. In the end, it didn’t matter, he supposed. He saw a new opportunity. Morales was expendable, but the boy…Greene cared about the boy. If torture and temptation wouldn’t sway the old man to join him, surely the life of his protégé would weaken his resolve.

“Gather some men. Bring the jeep around.” The young man ran off, leaving Donovan to turn to Matteo. “Bring him. He may yet be of some use to us.”

Matteo nodded obediently, starting towards the door. Donovan cast that cold, predatory gaze upon him before stepping out of the room.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

Danny gripped the roll bar of Perez’s jeep, trying to stabilize himself as they hit a bump in the road. Perez helped secure them all the gear they might need for they might need for their latest journey. The officer glanced up at the rearview through mirrored sunglasses.

“So, you’re what?” He asked, “A treasure hunter?”

“I’m a journalist.” Danny said.

“Really? So, it wasn’t just a lame cover story?” Perez asked with a smirk. “Do a lot of searching for lost cities writing for the local paper?”

“Not exactly. This is more of a…hobby, I suppose.” Danny admitted.

Perez laughed.

“Quite the hobby.”

Danny grinned. “It has its moments.”

Perez turned to Eva. “And you? I suppose you’re a ballerina? Or maybe a…what do you call them? Veterinarian?”

“No.” Eva said, turning her gaze to Perez, taking on a matter-of-fact tone. “I am a treasure hunter.”

Perez chuckled as if he thought she was joking. Eva shot Danny an amused look, earning a shrug in return.

“Do you do this a lot, mister journalist?” The officer asked.

Danny shook his head. “Once or twice. My friend, though…he got around.”

The officer noted the unmistakable hint of sadness in Danny’s voice as he referred to his mentor.

“So, what happened?” Perez asked. “Where is the old man?”

Danny tried to muster up the courage to say the words, but the thought that Ken Greene was really dead was not something he was entirely willing to face just yet. Luckily, Eva saved him.

“We lost him.” She said softly. “He sacrificed himself so we could escape with the clue.”

“In the cave of fire.” Perez said a little incredulously. “You know how ridiculous this all sounds, right?”

Eva snickered. “It is ridiculous. But it’s all true.”

“I hope so.” Perez said. “I’m laying a lot on the line for this.”

“Just get us there.” Danny said. “You’ll see for yourself.”

As the Jeep crossed the threshold of the tree-lined road, the sight before them nearly took Danny’s breath away. The jagged tops of Fura and Tena pierced the cloudless blue sky like ancient sentinels carrying on an eternal vigil over the Colombian landscape. A tapestry of lush green cloaked the rugged, jagged contours of the mountains. Cascading waterfalls flowed downwards, glistening like silver ribbons against the backdrop of the emerald forest. Though the young journalist had studied numerous pictures in their diligent research, being in the presence of their timeless, ethereal splendor unveiled a truth: those images were but feeble attempts to capture their magnificence.

Danny felt a pang of regret, wishing Ken could be present to witness the incredible sight before him. He knew Ken would have absolutely cherished it. I’m the short time they’d been traveling together, the pair had seen many marvels, but Greene always viewed them with the same sense of awe and admiration as his younger counterpart. It was an aspect of the man Danny always appreciated. He hoped that, when he reached Ken’s age and level of experience, he too would have the same sense of wonder.

Several kilometers later, the jeep rolled to a stop not far from Lake Guatavita. Danny was quick to suit up and help Perez set up each other’s scuba gear.

“Have you been here before?” Danny asked the officer.

“Si.” Perez responded. “My abuela took me here when I was 7 years old. I try to come back once a year to remember her. She said this spot was where our ancestors used to make offerings to the gods.”

“Then this seems as good a place as any to make ours.” Eva said, stepping out from the trees, zipping her wetsuit.

“Any idea where to look first? There’s a lot of ground to cover.” Danny asked, hefting her O2 tank and helping her gear up.

“Offerings were made at the center of the lake. It gets about 35 meters deep at the most, so, if people were expected to survive with only the air in their lungs? I suggest we start midway down from the edge nearest to.” Perez offered.

Eva walked over to the water’s edge, slipping the goggles around her head. “Then let’s not waste any more time.”

Without another word, she pulled the diving mask down, fastened her rebreather, and jumped in, plummeting beneath the surface in an instant. Perez exchanged glances with Danny.

“She’s tenacious.”

“You have no idea.” The younger man smirked and jumped in after her.

Officer Perez followed suit, plunging into the cool embrace of Lake Guatavita. As they descended into the depths, the beauty of the lake unfolded before their eyes. The water, crystal clear and inviting, allowed them to witness the wonders beneath its surface.

They swam side by side, their eyes wide with awe as they marveled at the underwater landscape. Sunlight filtered through the water, casting dancing rays that illuminated the vibrant flora and fauna. Colorful fish darted playfully among the coral reefs, their scales shimmering in a kaleidoscope of hues.

Eva led the way, her determination evident in every stroke as she glided effortlessly through the water, her eyes scanning the surroundings for any sign of the secret cave. As they swam deeper, the temperature dropped, and the silence grew profound, save for the sound of their breaths through their rebreathers and the gentle current. The serenity of the lake embraced them, creating a sense of tranquility that matched its breathtaking beauty.

The submerged world beneath Guatavita held them captive, its enchanting allure fueling their determination. They passed towering rock formations, adorned with delicate sea anemones swaying gracefully with the water's rhythm.

Suddenly, Eva's keen eyes caught sight of a faint glimmer in the distance. She motioned for Danny and Officer Perez to follow, their excitement palpable. They swam faster, their hearts pounding with anticipation as they closed in on the source of the shimmering light.

As they approached, the secret cave revealed itself in all its splendor. The entrance was adorned with intricate formations of stalactites and stalagmites, glistening like precious gemstones. The walls of the cave seemed to come alive, reflecting the light in an otherworldly spectacle.

Eva led the way into the cave, her movements cautious yet purposeful. Further in they ventured, eventually catching sight of a spot where the surface of the water broke. The trio of explorers swam upwards, rising from the depths to find themselves in the dark. Danny marveled at the idea that people once managed to complete this challenge in a time before diving equipment existed. The sheer lung capacity and athleticism must have been incredible.

Darkness shrouded the cave in shadow as they pulled themselves up onto the rocky surface, pulling the rebreathers and masks from their faces. One by one, they illuminated their flashlights, finally able to see the chamber surrounding them. Elaborate carvings detailed the stone walls, depicting the fabled city of gold. Urns lined the walls, displaying ancient burn marks upon the basins. Whatever fuel had once lit them had long ago succumbed to the slow decay of time. Further into the chamber was a long, shadowy corridor that would lead them to their next step.

Perez gazed in awe at the marvel of ancient engineering that must have constructed such a place. Whatever doubts he’d once had about the veracity of the two stranger’s claims were instantly washed away.

“Madre de dios…” he muttered quietly. “It’s real? It’s all real.”

Danny and Eva exchanged grins. They very much shared in his excitement.

“You ain’t seen nothing yet.” Danny said, borrowing a phrase Ken had used on their first adventure. “Come on.”

Leaving their gear behind, they ventured forth down the dark hallway, drips from the ceiling echoing through upon the stone walls. Hernan had dug deep into the surface. So deep, Danny began to wonder where it all ended.

Finally, they came out into the main chamber. Their flashlights providing insufficient illumination, they broke out flares, snapping them to burning, red life before dropping them onto the ground. The place was built like a stone cathedral, etchings in the Chibcha language adorning the arched supports that rose upwards to the semi-domed top. A deep pool sat at the center of the chamber. But the most impressive part was yet to be seen. At the far wall was the face of a woman, carved out of stone.

“Fura.” Perez whispered, even the tiny sound reverberating around them. He walked up to the statue running his hands upon the smoothly hewn surface.

“Where are her eyes?” Eva asked, noting the vacant slots where eyes should have been.

That was when it dawned on Danny. He let out a weary breath and shut his eyes. “‘Follow the path of Fura's tears, where immortality lies drowned. Return to her life eternal…’”

He turned the light down into the pool, illuminating the emerald gemstones far at the bottom. Eva caught on, nodding slowly. “Fura’s tears turned to emeralds. Right.”

Perez glanced over his shoulder. “So, we return the emeralds to her eyes and…then what?”

Danny clenched his jaw and walked to the edge of the pool. “Only one way to find out.”

Eva looked to him, wide-eyed. “Wait! Let’s get the oxygen tanks.”

Danny shook his head. It would take time, and there was no telling if Donovan’s men were on their trail. Besides, if the ancient prospects could do it, so could he.

“No. I’ve got this.” Danny said with a confident grin. He took one last look at the deep pool and took a deep breath. “Well. Back in a flash.”

Before Eva could protest, Danny dove into the dark. His athletic form cut through the ancient waters. He was immediately taken aback with how dark it was. The deeper he went, the more shadowy it became.

The water grew colder, the pressure intensifying with every passing moment. Danny's heart raced as he pushed himself further into the depths, relying solely on his instincts and the faint glow of the emerald gemstones beckoning him from the bottom.

The darkness enveloped him, his visibility diminishing to almost nothing. It felt as if the weight of the world was pressing down on him, threatening to crush his resolve. Doubt crept into his mind, questioning if he had made the right choice to undertake this daunting task without the aid of oxygen tanks. But he pushed those thoughts aside, reminding himself of the importance of their mission and the potential consequences of failure.

Straining against the water's resistance, Danny finally reached the bottom of the pool, where the emeralds awaited him. He carefully snatched them up, immediately surprised at their not-insignificant weight. Danny's lungs burned with the need for air, his body beginning to protest against the prolonged submersion. Weighed down as he was and without the aid of his arms, the ascent was proving more difficult than the dive. His legs ached as he kicked as hard and fast as he could, propelling him slower than he’d like.

It was only with pure, raw determination that he managed to continue on. His lungs screamed for an intake of air, his body aching with the effort. Danny could feel the darkness beginning to cloud the edges of his vision. If felt like the water was clenching his lungs within his chest. He had to keep going, he was so close. He could just barely make out the flickering red light of the flares. Just. A few. More. Feet.

Suddenly, he burst through the surface of the water, gasping aggressively for air. With all his might he hefted the emeralds onto the pool’s edge, reaching out blindly for help as he coughed up the lungful of water that had threatened to drown him. Two pairs of hands grasped his arms and hoisted him out and onto the stone floor. He panted, exhausted but satisfied.

Breathless laughter escaped him as he lay there. “I got ‘em. Suck on that, Hernan!”

“Yes. Yes, you did, Mister Dubek.”

Danny knew that voice, but it wasn’t Eva or Perez. He opened his eyes to find Matteo and several of Donovan’s men. Eva and Perez stood, held at gunpoint. One of them held a tablet, Donovan’s face broadcasting safely from above. Despair washed over Danny as his body sank against the stone.

“Get him on his feet.” Donovan ordered.

Danny grunted as Matteo grabbed him and roughly pulled him to his feet. He was too exhausted to fight back.

“My my, Daniel, you are a gifted young man, aren’t you?” Donovan said. “It’s a shame you were wasted on a burned out has-been like Ken Greene. You might have been a great asset to my operations.”

“You’re not even half the man Ken was.” Danny spat. “I’d never work with a parasite like you.”

Matteo tightened his grip, jostling Danny as if to remind him that he was captured. Donovan laughed derisively.

“Oh, but you will.” The old man said. “You see, it was my mistake to separate you from your mentor. You work better as a team.”

“Yeah?” Danny panted, “Then it’s too bad you killed him.”

Donovan removed his sunglasses and looked into the camera, his brow furrowed. “Killed him? I have done no such thing. Not yet.”

The image on the screen showed the camera rotating to find a battered, but very much alive Ken gripped by two thugs. Danny’s heart leapt beneath his chest, he almost lunged, but Matteo held him fast.

“Ken!” He cried.

Ken looks up dazedly, his face smeared with dried blood. “Don’t tell ‘em a fuckin’ thing kid!”

It was all he could manage before being hit, hard across the face, his body going limp. The camera once again settled on Donovan.

“How long he stays alive is up to you.” Donovan said, an ominous edge to his deep voice.

Perez's eyes narrowed, his gaze filled with a burning hatred as he stared at the man before him. This had to be the infamous figure Danny had warned him about, the one who sought to plunder and exploit his country's precious treasures. The man, Donovan, exuded an air of arrogance evident even through the device in his crony’s hands. This man had no regard for the cultural and historical significance of what he aimed to steal. To him, they were mere commodities to be sold to the highest bidder.

Perez clenched his fists, his knuckles turning white, as he realized the true extent of Donovan's intentions. This was not just about personal gain; it was an assault on his country's heritage and the legacy of the Muisca civilization. Anger coursed through his veins, and he vowed in that moment to protect his country's treasures at all costs.

“You have idea what you’re toying with.” Perez said.

Donovan only seemed amused. “And who is this? What poor soul have you dragged into your noble crusade, Daniel?”

His voice dripped with a condescension that made the officer’s blood boil. He did not fear this white man, even with a gun trained on him.

“My name is Luis Perez. The son of Carmen and Gustavo. Descendant of the Muisca and a protector of Bogotá.” Perez’s voice shook with passion and strength. “And I will protect my country’s heritage from vultures like you. You will never claim what you seek.”

Donovan’s demeanor darkened, his voice lowering. “How noble. I suppose you provided the translation for young Mister Dubek?”

The silence he received was all the confirmation Donovan needed.

With a taunting smirk, Donovan directed his words towards Perez, his voice dripping with mockery and a touch of derision. "Oh, how intriguing. You present yourself as a guardian of culture and heritage, yet here you stand, offering your civilization's most treasured artifact to a white man whose motives are as questionable as, admittedly, my own. That’s quite an amusing sense of propriety you possess."

“You are nothing like him.” Perez said.

“You speak with such authority on the matter. Yet, how well do you know him?” Donovan asked. “Oh, ‘his motives are pure.’ How do you know? Because he told you?”

“I have not come this far in life without learning to get a good read on people. I trust him.” Perez said. “You, I do not.”

Donovan's chuckle morphed into a sardonic laugh, as he continued to taunt Perez. "Ah, yes, you place your trust in a proven liar," he jeered. "Let's not forget that it was this is the very individual who deceived you about his true motives at the monastery just days ago."

Perez's eyes flared with determination, his voice cutting through Donovan's mockery. "I trust my instincts," he retorted defiantly, his words filled with unwavering conviction. "And every fiber of my being tells me that this man possesses dignity and decency, qualities that you woefully lack."

Donovan's smirk faltered, a flicker of annoyance crossing his face. Perez's unwavering trust in Danny struck a nerve, threatening to undermine Donovan's own manipulative nature. He realized that his attempts to sow doubt were falling on deaf ears, confronted by Perez's unyielding faith in his instincts.

“You wish to protect your country?” Donovan asked, his voice even, yet brimming with anger.

“With my life, if I must.” Perez responded with a defiant glare.

“Well. Consider your wish granted.”

Before anyone could react, the mercenary, Matteo, raised his pistol and fired a single round into Perez's chest. Time seemed to freeze as Perez's body lurched backward, the impact sending shockwaves through his being. Crimson spread rapidly from beneath his wetsuit, staining the fabric as his legs gave way beneath him. Eva's cry of horror pierced the air as she broke free from her captor, rushing to Perez's side and catching him before he hit the ground.

Donovan looked on, nonplussed. “So much for instinct.”

Perez lay in Eva's arms, confusion and pain etched across his face. She clasped his hands tightly, her voice filled with distress.

"Keep pressure on it," she urged, her desperation straining her voice.

Danny, his shock turning into a surge of adrenaline, struggled against his captor. "You son of a bitch!" he shouted, his voice filled with anger and defiance.

Matteo, unfazed by Danny's outburst, forced the cold barrel of his gun against Danny's temple, his eyes cold and unyielding.

“Hold still or you’ll join him, pendejo.” The merc said through grit teeth.

Danny felt an unprecedented need to end another human being’s life. He wanted more than anything to choke the life out of the coward who couldn’t even be in the same room to do his dirty work.

“Matteo.” Donovan addressed his lackey. “The emeralds.”

Danny was suddenly released, a swift strike dropping him to his knees. The cold steel muzzle of a pistol pressed against the back of his head, keeping him at bay as Matteo stepped away. The mercenary collected the emeralds and brought them to the statue, looking up into the empty sockets for a moment. The stones were perfectly cut to fit into the open spaces. One after the other, he slid them into the receptacles. The clank of centuries-old mechanisms echoed throughout the chamber, marvels of engineering that stood the test of time.

Radiating from beneath the statue's composed face, a luminous glow emanated, shimmering alongside the green radiance of the embedded emeralds. Danny could merely speculate on the intricate workings of the ancient mechanism, witnessing the light intensifying until it reached its zenith. Slowly, the mysterious luminescence faded until, once again, it was dark and the chamber fell silent. The gathered throng stood, quietly awaiting something more to the process. Yet, nothing followed but silence.

“Matteo, what is happening?” Donovan’s voice cut through the quiet.

“Nothing.” The mercenary responded in confusion. He wheeled around, looking accustorily at Danny. Matteo raised his pistol and advanced on the kneeling journalist. “What is this? What the fuck is going on?”

Danny glared at him, unmoved by the weapon in his face. “How the hell should I know?”

Matteo grabbed a fistful of auburn hair and shoved his gun to Danny’s temple. "¡No te metas conmigo, hijo de puta! Tell me how it works!"

Danny winced at the pain, but when his green eyes again opened, they were slight with pure defiance and hatred.

“El jefe!” One of the others called out.

Matteo’s eyes shifted to his comrade, but he didn’t move. The thug pointed at the statue. A small plume of smoke slithered out through the eyes of Fura, curling into the air until they disappeared. He aggressively released his grip on Danny’s hair and cautiously approached the ancient carving. Carefully, he reached for one of the stones, concerned that it might burn him. Fortunately for him, it had cooled enough to grip. As he pulled the emerald from Fura’s eye, he would find writing burned into the gemstone. In the flickering light of the flare it was difficult to make out, but even in the light of day, he’d have been unable.

“What is it?” Donovan demanded.

“It’s that writing.” Matteo called back. “The same shit as before.”

There were two people who could read it, and one of them was currently unconscious, covered in his own blood with a bullet in his chest. Matteo pulled the second stone and brought them both to him. “What does it say?! Translate!”

“Chinga tu madre.” Danny snarled in the mercenary’s own language.

Matteo reared back and kicked him square in the chest, the force of the blow launching him backwards. He hit the ground hard, his head bouncing off the stone floor as he sprawled onto his back.

“He can’t read it!” Eva cried, halting the hulking mercenary in his tracks. She glared up at him in defiance. “And, like a fool, you shot the only man here who could.”

A cold chill ran through Matteo’s body. He was certain his employer would have swift and brutal retribution in store if this cost him El Dorado and the lost compass. His fear, however, was short-lived as Donovan’s voice emanated from the device’s speakers.

“Bring them here.” Donovan’s authoritative demand resonated through the chamber. “Greene can translate. Leave the spare.”

Matteo's face contorted with a mixture of relief and determination. He nodded solemnly, his loyalty to Donovan unyielding.

"Yes, sir," he replied with a solemnity that masked the tremor of uncertainty within.

Eva's anguished scream of protest reverberated through the chamber as she was forcibly torn away from the wounded Officer Perez. Her desperate pleas fell on deaf ears as the relentless grip of Donovan's minions tightened around her. Meanwhile, Danny, still dazed from the impact, was yanked to his feet, Donovan's henchmen clutching his arms firmly as they forcefully dragged him away. His eyes, filled with a mix of confusion and resignation, fixated on the dying flares, their fading glow casting long shadows that slowly consumed Officer Perez's prone, motionless body, until it faded into darkness.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

Danny woke to the creak of the Jeep’s suspension bouncing on the unpaved road. The blazing light of the Colombian sun instantly making him regret daring to open his eyes. His head felt as if his skull was attempting to claw its way through his scalp, the stiff warmth of dried blood at the back of his head. Slowly, the world came back into focus.

Ken sat across from him, his wrists bound. Eva was at his side, her hair still drying and her eyes red from tears. Things had gone horribly awry.

“Ah.” Donovan exclaimed, “The sleeper awakens.”

Danny’s eyes turned to the passenger seat of the vehicle, an intense bilious anger building in his gut. For a moment he contemplated grabbing for the man until he noticed the tough, armed mercenary at his side. Matteo grabbed his collar, shooting him a firm, threatening look and shook his head. They weren’t going to be able to fight their way out of this.

He calmed himself as best he could, turning his attention to his mentor. Ken offered a weak smile in return.

“You alright, kid?” He asked.

Danny nodded, his voice still a touch groggy. “Yeah, I’m good.”

“Yes, Mister Dubek is alive and mostly unharmed.” Donovan assured him. “For now. The same cannot be said for the officer they carelessly dragged into this foolishness.”

Perez. Of course, Ken realized. Danny was good, but there was no way he’d made that translation on his own. Considering the man’s absence, he could assume the officer’s fate.

“You’re killin’ cops now?” Ken asked.

“I do what I must.” Donovan replied. “This is a zero sum game, Mister Greene. I will possess all or I might as well possess nothing. A government official would be quite detrimental to my cause, would it not?”

“And what happens when they go looking for him?” Danny asked. “People are going to ask questions.”

“That cave lay undiscovered for centuries. What chance do you believe they’ll have of finding him?” Donovan sneered. “Let them ask all they like. Officer Perez will be lost to history, all the same.”

Of course the dishonorable hack had graduated to murder, Ken thought. There were truly no depths to which he would not sink.

“Now, you will translate those stones for me.” Donovan demanded.

Ken simply laughed. “We already played this game. I’m not doing a damn thing for you.”

Donovan offered the barest hint of a smug smile in reply. “Yes. It was foolish of me to believe I could make you comply through brute force alone. I realize that now.”

The old man nodded to Matteo, the mercenary drawing his pistol and leveled it at a defiant Danny. Ken’s heart leapt beneath his chest.

“You, I’m afraid, require… incentive.” Donovan’s voice rumbled ominously.

“Don’t tell him anything.” Danny said, his green eyes blazing with white-hot hatred at Matteo.

“You wouldn’t!” Ken exclaimed.

“Tell that to Officer Perez.” Donovan replied.

“Ken, don’t.” Danny stole a glance to his mentor. He was willing to die to stop Marcus Donovan from getting what he wanted.

Eva leaned forward taking Greene’s hands in hers.

“Greene. Please.” She pleaded. The girl looked sincere. She didn’t want anything to happen to Danny any more than he did. “It’s not worth it.”

Ken Greene’s mind was in utter turmoil. He knew what Danny wanted, what he was willing to sacrifice. But the boy was more than his protégé. More than his friend. Danny Dubek was the son he’d never had. Could he really let him die?

“No?” Donovan asked with amusement after a moment’s silence. “Shame.”

Matteo pulled back the hammer on his firearm and Ken’s decision was made.

“Alright!” He cried. “I’ll do it. You son of a bitch, I’ll do it.”

Danny’s gaze snapped to him angrily, but Ken was not going to lose him. No matter what.

“I’m sorry, kid.” He said.

Donovan reached down in front of him, snatching up the heavy emerald stones. Despite their current predicament, Ken couldn’t deny a certain twinge of excitement as he took the ancient stones in his hands. It seemed no amount of danger could dampen the explorer within the seasoned historian. He noted their heft, appreciating more concretely how difficult it must have been for Danny to battle the depths of that pool.

His fingers trailed the charred etchings upon the otherwise smooth surface of the stones, his eyes scanning the dead language in which they were written. He glanced up to find Donovan waiting in withering patience.

“Well?” His nemesis pressed him. “What does it say.”

“Gimme a minute, jesus.” Ken said, focusing again on the writing.

Donovan’s eyes flicked to Matteo who refocused his aim upon Danny’s head.

“Hey!” Ken shouted. “This ain’t easy! Alright? I ain’t readin’ a fuckin’ nursery rhyme here! It’s a language ain’t been spoken in a century. If it was easy, you’d be doin’ it! Gimme a minute.”

Donovan signaled his man and the gun was lowered. Ken ran through his knowledge of the Chibcha language, parsing together how it would best read in English.

“Okay…so, what I’m gettin’ is, ‘Far below the highest height… where the earth touches the sky, in the depths of…the underworld, a golden city awaits its newest champion.’” Ken read, finally comfortable with the accuracy of his translation.

Donovan’s brow creased in contemplation as he processed the words, repeating them to himself quietly. Matteo was clearly far out of his depth and simply awaited the others to come to a conclusion.

“Pico Cristóbal Colón.” Eva said, a hint of excitement in her voice as her eyes widened.

“Eva…” Danny said, a hint of warning in his tone.

“Quiet.” Donovan demanded before turning to her. “Explain.”

“Pico Cristóbal Colón.” She repeated. “It’s a mountain. Ah, th-the highest peak in Colombia. If we’re looking for a place where the ‘earth touches the sky’, it’s there.”

That arrogant smile crossed Donovan’s lips again. “You’ve done well, Ms. Morales. It seems I was right to place my trust in you.”

Danny’s eyes snapped back and forth between them. Eva’s head lowered shamefully, a sickening feeling filling the young man’s gut.

“What’s he talking about, Eva?” Danny asked her, his jaw clenched tight.

“Danny…”. She began, unable to bring herself to admit what he already knew.

“She fucked us, kid.” Ken said. “She was playin’ us from the start.”

Danny looked heartbroken. Donovan simply laughed, condescension in his voice. “Oh my. You thought she actually cared for you, didn’t you?”

Eva’s eyes shut, true shame washing over her for the first time in what felt like a decade. “Danny, I-“

Danny glared at her, the intense betrayal in his eyes cutting her words short. Suddenly, she couldn’t bear to even look at him.

“Uncuff her, Matteo.” Donovan ordered, “The charade is over.”

Matteo drew a Bowie knife and cut the zip ties from her wrists with a quick flick. Ken had been right. He’d warned Danny since the moment they met her but he didn’t want to listen. He could kick himself for being so blind.

Ken felt for his young protégé. He’d been there before. Pretty eyes and alluring smile could often trump reason at his age, no matter how fervent the warnings.

“So what now?” Ken asked. “You kill us? Dump the bodies along the road?”

“Oh my, no, Kenneth.” Donovan said, almost sounding appalled. “How do I know you’re not lying to protect your young friend here? No, good sir. You’ll lead us to El Dorado. And if I get even the faintest hint that you aren’t being honest with me, he will pay the price. Do we have an understanding?”

“Yeah.” Ken’s voice shook with rage. “Yeah, I get you.”

“I’m glad we could come to an agreement.” Donovan said smugly and turned to his driver. “To Pico Cristóbal Colón.”

Danny sat in growing anger and turmoil as the vehicle made its way to the final step of their journey. Eva repeatedly tried to steal glances his way, but he wouldn’t so much as turn his eyes toward her. He’d allowed himself to be a pawn in Donovan’s little game at the hands of a pretty face. It was a mistake he promised himself he’d never make again.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

The road would eventually end and the arduous trek through the lush green paths leading to the mountain began on foot. Anything they could spare was left behind as they started down the path. As they slogged through thick vegetation and grueling terrain, Ken ran through the writing upon the second stone.

“Follow in the footsteps of the Founder, and beneath Chie’s arch, within the long stone dark, the valley of the gods will guide the hearty champion to glory.”

Even when they reached the foot of the mountain, they would have a lot of ground to cover before they could continue on their journey. Miles of unexplored mountains stretched further than the eye cold see. Eventually it was decided that, wherever the city lay, it was unlikely to be above ground. Aerial surveys and satellite imagery would have revealed it long ago.

It was a full day’s hike before they chose rest, setting up camp for the night. Danny couldn’t deny that he was at least a little impressed that Donovan was still in good enough shape to make the daunting trip. It was rough for him, even with the stamina of a young man as physically fit as himself. The fact that a man as old as Donovan could keep up was worthy of note.

Ken dropped to the ground, his brow pouring sweat as he leaned back against a tree. Danny took a knee beside him, offering his mentor a water bottle which he gladly accepted.

“You doing alright?” He asked.

Ken took a deep swig from the bottle and sighed.

“Yeah. Just missing my twenties, kid.” He chuckled breathlessly, “Hell, I’ll even take my forties at this point.”

Danny grinned and sat in the dirt across from him, trying to ignore the stern glare of the armed man behind him. They had been at gunpoint almost the entire hike, and try as he might, he never got used to it.

“What are we doing, Ken?” Danny asked wearily.

Ken’s tired eyes turned up to him. “What we set out to do from the beginning.”

Danny looked confused.

“Think about it, Danny.” Ken’s face lit up. “We’re gonna find El Dorado and the compass.”

He had to admire his friend’s optimistic appraisal of the situation. Ken had a point, this little adventure had been something both had dreamed of for years.

“I had imagined the circumstances would be a little different.” Danny muttered.

Ken looked past Danny as the other men got a fire going. Donovan watching over the proceedings like a hawk.

“Yeah,” he grumbled, “but we ain’t out of the game yet. Keep your head up.”

Danny glanced over his shoulder catching sight of a very sullen looking Eva as she sat upon the trunk of a fallen tree, the flickering light of the campfire dancing upon her face. Ken noted the pain behind his protégé’s eyes, again feeling a swell of empathy.

“I’m sorry, kid.” He said softly. “I know you liked her.”

“Yeah.” Danny whispered, turning back to him and trying to put on a brave face. “Well, you warned me, didn’t you? I just didn’t want to hear it. I was naive.”

“You got a good heart.” Ken said. “That ain’t ever something you should feel bad about. Even if it didn’t work out this time.”

Danny may not have ever experienced the sort of connection to his father he’d wanted growing up, but Ken more than made up for what he’d missed.

“I’m glad you’re alive.” Danny said, thinking it was the understatement of the century.

“Me too, kid.” Ken whispered.

On the other end of the encampment, Donovan eyed Eva with amusement as she stared distantly into the flames.

“You seem perturbed, my dear.”

Eva shot him a glance, barely attempting to hide her disdain.

“I’m just tired.” She said.

“Are you?” He asked in a knowing tone. “You may be able to fool the others…you may even be able to fool yourself. But you do not fool me.”

Eva turned her attention back to the fire with annoyance.

“What do you intend to do with them?” Eva asked, keeping her voice as cool and even as she could. “In the end?”

Donovan’s face remained as confident and stoic as ever. “I think you know.”

When Eva said nothing in response, a sly grin slithered across his lips.

“Don’t tell me you’ve fallen for those pretty green eyes and that dashing dimpled smile.” Donovan continued, bitter amusement mingled with sarcasm in his voice.

Eva rose, once again turned that defiant glare upon him. “I am not some starry-eyed schoolgirl, Marcus. It takes more than a pretty face to sway me from my goals.”

“Indeed.” Donovan said, unconvinced. “But, then, who could blame you?”

The old man turned his attention to Danny and Ken. “He’s a smart, capable, handsome young man. With the right guidance he could have been a useful asset going forward. A shame he chose the wrong path.”

Eva didn’t dare take her eyes off the old vulture. She refused to confirm what he clearly already knew. Danny Dubek had become more than a man with an easy smile and attractive face to her, but if she admitted it, there was no telling how Donovan would use that information against him…and especially against her.

That stern face glowered down at her ominously. Whatever kindly facade he’d adopted dropped in an instant, chilling her to the bone. A conversation with the man felt like a waltz through a minefield. One false step and it was over.

“But he can’t give you what you seek.” Donovan said. He could read her like a book and she knew it. “You would do well to remember where your loyalties lie, Ms. Morales.”

Eva refused to show weakness, forcing a confident smile that she worried was betrayed in the golden brown of her eyes. “My loyalties lie where they always have.”

A flicker of amusement danced in the depths of Donovan's eyes. His weathered face remained unmoved, but the subtle upturn of his mouth betrayed a silent acknowledgment of her deception. He saw through her facade, recognizing the falsehood hidden behind her words.

A veil of seriousness draped over his voice as he spoke, his words carrying a weight that resonated through the air. "See to it that they do," he uttered in a low, ominous tone, his voice laced with a blend of authority and caution. It was a command that left no room for doubt, a warning subtly delivered. The gravity of his words hung in the air, the silence pregnant with the unspoken implications.

As the weight of his gaze bore down upon her, she felt a tinge of unease, a subtle shiver tracing its way down her spine. Donovan's piercing eyes held a depth that seemed to pierce through the layers of pretense, exposing the truth that lay hidden beneath. It was a gaze that conveyed a silent message, a silent understanding between them.

Eva pushed down that insistent rising fear and stared him straight in the eye, taking one step closer.

“One day, you’ll get everything you deserve.” She said. “And on that day, you will look on in terror as everything you’ve done, everything you’ve ever wanted comes crashing down around you.”

“Will it?” Donovan said, amused.

“Oh yes.” She responded, her eyes narrowing. “And on that day? I will smile.”

Donovan’s eye twitched just a hair, his smug expression fading.

"Rest," he finally concluded, his voice carrying a note of finality. "We have a long trip ahead of us." The words hung in the air, laden with the weight of what was to come and what was expected of her.

When the camp was finally set and everyone had their share of the rations, sleep came easy. There would be no escape tonight. Both Danny and Ken were far too exhausted to even consider running. Even if they weren’t, miles and miles of treacherous, dark rainforest surrounded them. They’d be dead before sunrise, their bodies never to be found. They would need to stay the course and play nice. For now.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

The dense canopy of the rainforest may have spared the direct glare of the blazing sun above, but did little to alleviate the stifling heat and humidity. After a brief moment to eat and hydrate, the group was once again on the move. Giant fronds were pushed and cut aside as they traversed the seemingly endless jungle between them and their destination. Danny couldn’t be certain how far or exactly how far they’d traveled, he just knew that he was drenched with sweat and his legs ached fiercely. Truth be told, he’d have given up a thousand El Dorado’s in that moment for a bed and central air.

Eva glanced over her shoulder at the sullen young explorer, a guilty pang in her gut every time she did. Subtly, she fell back until she was at his side. She could feel the tension radiating off of him.

“Danny.” She quietly tried to get his attention, but he was not interested in talking.

“Look at me.” She pleaded. “Please?”

Danny finally did, and Eva almost winced at the venom in that intense green-eyed stare.

“I’m sorry.” She said. “I never wanted to hurt you.”

“You lied to me. You lied and sold us out to him.” Danny nodded to Donovan.

Eva knew he was right, though she couldn’t quite work up the nerve to admit it to herself.

“Danny, please. I didn’t want this.” She said.

“You used me to put Marcus Donovan at El Dorado’s doorstep, who gives a damn what you want.” He spat.

Eva fell back a step as if she’d caught a blow to the gut. She had to move quickly to catch up with him.

“I did what anyone would do in my situation.” She defended herself, knowing full well how feeble the attempt was.

“Not me.” Danny said. “And I had hoped not you. Ken warned me not to trust you and he was dead on with that assessment. But I wanted to think you were better than that. It was stupid of me to believe in you.”

Eva could say nothing in response. She just stopped and let him go ahead, the full weight of her betrayal setting in.

“¡Señor!” One of Donovan’s men cried from the front of the group. "¡Venga rápido! ¡Encontramos algo!"

Donovan and his people rushed towards the sound of the man’s voice, finding him in front of a massive tree trunk. As he neared he spied a carving in its bark. Ancient and unknown to him, he ran his fingers over its surface trying in vain to decipher its meaning.

“What is it?” One of the men asked.

Danny recognized it immediately as he caught up with the others. It was a sigil. Hernan’s to be exact. Ken stepped up beside him.

“That what I think it is?” He asked.

Danny nodded. They were on the right path. Donovan caught the glance between the two men, turning towards them.

“You know this symbol?” He asked, pointing to the carving.

Danny and Ken exchanged a look. Neither wanted to help Donovan, but given their current circumstances, it didn’t seem like they had a choice.

“That’s the sigil of Hernan de Valdivia.” Ken explained.

Eva approached the symbol, the unmistakable spark of excitement in her eyes momentarily breaking the inescapable weight of guilt.

“We’re getting close.” She declared, though there was no sense of victory in her voice. She forced her way through the men in her way, ignoring the burning glare coming from Danny.

Matteo shoved Danny forward hard enough that he almost fell. He turned, defiant, ready to fight even with his hands bound behind his back. Matteo matched his intensity, getting right in his face.

“Do something, maricón.” The burly mercenary challenged. Danny didn’t back down, running through his options in his head.

“Danny.” Ken said firmly. “C’mon, kid.”

Danny’s temper waned, back under control and the group moved forward. On and on they walked, the further they traveled, the more sigils they came upon. The air grew thicker and thicker with stifling humidity as the day wore on. The path might have once been clear and easy to walk, but centuries of growth had made it a grueling and exhausting journey.

Those at the front cut through dense foliage, hacking and chopping a path forward. Every now and again, they had to be replaced by fresh hands. Water rations were getting low and Danny was starting to doubt they’d reach the end without dying from dehydration.

But then he saw it. His skin glistened with sweat, his clothes saturated. His legs ached, but none of it mattered in that moment. Two trees, bent at the trunks, had grown together, the unstoppable march of the centuries wrapping them around each other in an eternal, dancing embrace, rising far above the forest floor. Behind the arch was a cave. Upon its side, carved into the stone face of the mountain was Hernan’s sigil.

Donovan patted the sweat from his brow with a handkerchief, gazing victoriously at the mouth of the cave. “Follow the Founder’s footsteps.” He repeated the clue. “Thank you, Mister Valdida .”

Ken’s eyes were alight, even through the exhaustion. Danny thought he looked like a kid on Christmas morning, about to open the biggest present he’d ever been given. Danny wanted badly to share that feeling, but it wasn’t coming. Ken could see it.

“Nevermind all of them, Danny.” Ken instructed him, awe in his voice. “Look at where we are. Look how far we’ve come.”

Danny turned his eyes toward the shadowy entrance to the cave. At the end of that path was a place lost to history, written off as mere myth. He just hoped Donovan would let them live long enough to see it.

“Just a little further.” Ken encouraged him. “Let’s go.”

As they cautiously ventured into the cave, the radiant beams of daylight gradually waned, suffusing the surroundings with a dimness that dulled the oppressive heat that had plagued them earlier. Danny couldn't help but envision the ancient souls who once traversed this path, guided by flickering torchlight that danced along the rugged walls. Now, it was the team's flashlights that cast circular beams, casting fleeting shadows as they meandered deeper into the unknown abyss.

Carved into the very stone of the passage were names, etchings from a bygone era, preserving the memory of those who had come before. Danny longed to pause and meticulously transcribe these engraved testaments, knowing that unraveling their history would offer a captivating glimpse into the trials and tribulations of their forefathers. He imagined that their descendants would be enthralled to learn of the challenges their ancestors had braved. Unfortunately, the group remained disinterested, resolute in their determination to forge ahead into uncharted territories.

The darkness enveloped them, its vastness seemingly boundless. As time crawled by, an hour feeling like an eternity, Danny began to question just how deep into the heart of the mountain range they had ventured. The extent of human intervention in this passage eluded him, but he couldn't deny the audacity of Valdivia's ambitions.

Suddenly, the solid stone walls abruptly ceased, giving way to an abyssal void that stretched out before them, defying the feeble reach of their flashlights. Danny could hear murmurs of uncertainty rippling through the group, their anxious voices mingling with calls for a lighter to break through the shroud of darkness.

Donovan, undeterred, strained his eyes in an attempt to pierce the impenetrable blackness. His men, meanwhile, had discovered what appeared to be wells flanking both sides of the enigmatic expanse. With haste, lighters were procured and his men positioned themselves strategically.

"Let there be light," Donovan declared, his voice filled with a blend of reverence and anticipation.

In an instant, flames erupted from the wells, their fierce glow igniting a network of stone troughs that cascaded down a steep, wide staircase. Danny's breath hitched as the world before them gradually unveiled itself, piece by mesmerizing piece. Illuminated by the flickering glow, colossal statues emerged from the depths of the expansive cavern, their forms depicting the enigmatic gods of the Muisca civilization. And at the far end of this majestic chamber stood an immense, meticulously crafted doorway, a testament to the artistry and grandeur that lay beyond. Every single person in the group took in the sight with wondrous amazement. Even an ignorant simpleton such as Matteo was dumbfounded by the magnificence of their discovery.

Eva’s golden gaze swept over the grandeur that lay ahead, untouched by men’s hands for ages untold. Her heart pounded with the rush of discovery as they began to descend into the depths of a world once thought to be a fairytale, now unfolding into the tangible realm of history. She wanted to cherish every second, putting behind her the petty human drama that had led them here. She was almost successful when she dared take a glance back at Danny, his green eyes alight with awe in the flickering glow of fire. This should have been a great moment to be shared among friends. While breathtaking, she couldn’t shake the lingering pang of guilt at stealing the full weight of this stunning unveiling from him.

They passed down into what the stones had dubbed “Valley of the Gods.” The stone sentinels loomed overhead, majestic and eternal in their vigil over the the wonders that lay beyond. As they passed through the doorway, flames continued their path, igniting various braziers along the way. An entire city, built of wood, stone and mortar spread out before them in a vast network of streets. Inspiration from several different cultures decorated the innumerable buildings rising from the ground below. Danny could pinpoint many of them even from their high vantage. All of the alleys and streets led to one, monumental capitol building far off at the edge of the city.

They’d done it. They’d found El Dorado.

“My god.” Ken whispered in enchanted breathlessness. “It’s real. I’d always dreamed, but I never imagined…this.”

Danny couldn’t help but be taken with the same awe as his mentor, an awestruck smile gracing his lips. But one thing nagged at the back of his mind.

“Ken…” Danny turned to him. “This is supposed to be a city of gold.”

Ken glanced over with a quirked brow.

“Well,” Danny gestured forth. “Where’s the gold? And what the hell happened to everyone?”

Ken blinked as it set in. He turned his attention to the vast, empty city. It was then that he noticed signs of destruction amongst the varied architecture. These weren’t the usual signs of the slow decay of time. Something had happened here. Something bad. As the blaze ran its course, and more and more was illuminated, they could just make out small figures that could only be the skeletal remains of the city’s former occupants. They’d come to discover a city of riches beyond dreams. What they’d found was a tomb.

The team descended into the streets below, getting a better look at what remained. Scorch marks marred the surface of almost every wall and left what exposed wood charred and black. Burnt human remains still bearing armor and scraps of remaining clothing littered the streets. Rudimentary weapons remained in some of their hands. Hammers, swords, knives, but no guns. Some, it was clear had tried to run from whatever it was that had caused such a terrible fate. These people had died a horrible, painful death, but the question remained in Danny’s mind: Why?

He, Ken and Eva were careful not to tread on any bones, but Donovan’s men held no such regard to the sanctity of these people’s final resting place. Bones crushed and cracked beneath their boots as they trudged through the ruined streets toward capitol, the sound almost deafening in the eerie silence of the cavernous, dead city. Danny pushed aside his revulsion to continue onward. As they arrived at the bottom step of the building’s entrance, more bodies piled, flanking what remained of a make-shift battering ram. The ornate, heavy door showed signs of damage, suggesting they’d begun to make headway before their untimely end.

Eva surveyed the carnage surrounding them, her brows knit in something resembling empathy. “My god…what could lead these people to do this?”

Danny turned those cold, green eyes up at her, glaring. “They trusted a thief.”

That simple statement wounded her deeply. It was almost as if he’d gut-punched her. She found she couldn’t even meet his gaze. There was a part of the young man that regretted it. It wasn’t in his nature to take pleasure from causing anyone pain, even if they deserved it. Somewhere, deep down, he still wanted her to fully grasp the weight of what she’d done to them. It didn’t matter what Donovan said, he and Ken were never going to leave this place alive, not if her old buddy had anything to say about it. That was her fault. She’d sold them out before they’d even met. Even for a merciful man, that was unforgivable.

Donovan, nudged aside the skeletal remains of a resident and pressed his hand to the cool metallic surface of the door, giving it a push, to no avail. His eyes searched the dented and scraped entrance, catching just a fleck of golden paint upon its surface. His brows knit as he reached out and peeled it off. The centuries had stripped it of it’s veneer, but he surmised that Hernan had tried to pass them off as gold instead of the wrought iron gates that stood before them.

Behind him, Ken was beginning to piece together a picture of what likely occurred. El Dorado was built upon lies. The lies of a man consumed with greed who manipulated people to accumulate absurd wealth, promising them a city of dreams and prosperity, but handed them nothing but squalor. When they’d figured out he had swindled them, they revolted. What happened then, he could only guess, but he imagined more answers lay inside the firmly locked door.

Donovan took a step back looking up at the arched doorway, setting his jaw. “Set charges. Blow it down.”

“What?!” Danny protested. “This is a delicate archaeological find! You can’t just blow it up!”

“I am not here on an archaeological expedition, Mr. Dubek.” Donovan said sternly. “I don’t care to spend days deconstructing this rubbish just to get to what’s inside. The compass and the gold are all that matter. If you wish to forgo them, I will gladly leave you to spend all the time you like, studying the rubble.”

Danny’s blood boiled. He couldn’t comprehend the mentality of men like this. El Dorado was possibly the biggest discovery in history, a fascinating wealth of knowledge to be unraveled and Donovan was willing to destroy it out of blind, selfish greed. The urge to lunge at the old man bubbled up from deep inside, cut short as a firm hand clasped him by the shoulder. Danny turned his head to find Eva staring with concern, offering only a shake of her head and a look of sympathy. Had he been that transparent? Or had the woman come to understand him well enough to see the rage beginning to cloud his judgment? Whatever the case, he felt his nerves calm, though he didn’t quite understand why. How could she still evoke that within him? By all rights, he should be directing at least some of that ire towards her. The mere sight of the conniving little thief should have filled him with anger and disdain, but there was still a part of him hiding far beneath all of that pain that hoped he was wrong. Even after everything that had happened, a part of him still wanted to believe the best in her.

“Fire in the hole!”

The sudden burst of the charges at the doorway, pulled him from his thoughts, both of them watching in sorrow as those huge gates fell inward through a cloud of smoke, slamming to the ground with a resounding thud, crushing the ancient corpses of the rebelling residents of El Dorado in a thick fog of dust. Ken clenched his jaw tightly, disgusted at what Donovan had just done.

“This is a travesty.” the old journalist muttered.

They were given no time to mourn the loss of such historical significance as the broadside of guns were pushed into their backs. Danny stumbled forth, managing the find his balance again and followed the men at the front of the group. Torches lit the ruined archway as they passed through.

As they entered the main chamber, they saw it. At first it was just a shimmery reflection off the torches, but eventually it cast across the surface of countless shining objects. Gold, jewels, riches of all kinds filled the room. And at its center, upon an elevated platform was a throne. The man who sat upon it wore faded, ornate robes, his body reduced to bones. Clutched in his hands was a brass compass, intricate in construction, its surface etched with designs and characters they could not yet decipher. It could only be Hernan De Valdivia.

Danny had only seen the compass in drawings, based upon descriptions of the device and left to the artist’s imagination. But seeing it in person, he simply wanted to spend hours studying it, uncovering whatever secrets its maker hid, and if the legends were at all true.

Torches lit up small braziers at the sides of the expansive room, the piles of treasure glimmering in firelight. The full wealth within the throne room could scarcely be guessed, but anyone who left with it would be an obscenely rich man.

Donovan’s eyes lit with greed as he took in the sight before him. “My god…it’s beautiful.”

His mercenary comrade, though, was less than impressed. He sidled up beside his boss, speaking in hushed tones.

Matteo muttered to Donovan. “I don’t get it. Isn’t this supposed to be some big-ass city made of gold.”

Ken laughed bitterly, earning a glare from the mercenary. “Don’t you get it yet?”

Matteo very clearly had no idea what the old man was talking about. Ken gestured around him. “What do you think those bodies were there for? Why do you think some conquistador sent people on some wild goose chase just to find this place?”

Matteo shrugged in annoyance, still not catching the point.

“It’s a trick..” Ken said. “Hernan didn’t find El Dorado. He made it. He wasn’t some great explorer, he was little more than a pirate. The son of a bitch took the myth and tricked people into thinking it was real and stole all of this. ”

Matteo’s eyes darkened as it all began to make sense.

“They figured out what he was doing…” Danny chimed in, putting it all together for them. “He used them, stole their wealth, and when they saw through his scheme, they rebelled.”

Ken took a few steps towards the throne, his eyes fixed upon the remains of Valdivia until a rifle was leveled at his back. He halted, showing his hands to appease the mercenary behind the barrel. “If there is an El Dorado…this ain’t it. ”

History was filled with all manner of such tyrants and cheats. Men like Valdivia. Men like Marcus Donovan.

“It doesn’t matter.” Donovan’s voice boomed. “The wealth of this place is beyond some mythical fairy tales. We did not set out on some childish odyssey to uncover an historical mystery. I don’t need a city made of gold when the treasures in this tomb are worth more than anything previously uncovered. More riches than generations could hope to possess and they are mine.”

Matteo seemed to be satisfied with the old man’s rationale, but Eva was most certainly not. Her brows knit together angrily, a fiery glare directed at Donovan.

“Yours?” Eva said bitterly.

Donovan turned to her with a cold, ominous stare. “You needn’t worry, my little Judas, you’ll get your fair share.”

Eva clenched her jaw tightly. She didn’t get into this venture with the hope of riches or treasure. She wanted something more substantial than that, and he damn well knew it.

“That wasn’t what we agreed upon.” She said, the bitterness cutting through her vain attempt to calm her tone.

“The arrangement has been altered. You can choose to accept my generosity, or perhaps you’d like to join your friends.” Donovan said, calmly threatening her. “I’ll have little difficulty adding one more body to the pile at Mister Hernan’s feet.”

The Cuban explorer clenched her fists tightly. From the moment her betrayal had been uncovered, she’d felt uncharacteristic pangs of guilt. She knew that the man had no intention of letting Danny and Ken leave this place alive. As guilty as she felt, she had no desire to be left for dead in this tomb.

Donovan’s steely gaze pierced through her, knowing her answer without having to hear it. The satisfied twitch at the corners of his mouth just barely resembled some semblance of a self-satisfied smile.

“Wise choice.” He said, his face once again a mask of disdain. The old thief turned his back on her, striding towards the remains of Valdivia like he was some conquering hero as his men began picking through the spoils of their expedition.

Eva turned her eyes to Danny and Ken, that guilty pang once again emanating from the pit of her stomach. She knew full well that she was no angel. Her motives were selfish, deceitful, and vain. She had intended to use them from the very beginning, after all. But she was not Donovan. There were depths to which she would not sink. Danny and Greene were good men and they deserved better than murder in Hernan de Valdivia’s false kingdom. Her eyes locked with Danny’s and she knew what she had to do.

The others in the room were so enamored with the piles of gold, precious jewels and other artifacts that they paid little attention as she wandered over, slowly making her way behind them. Danny glanced at her as she passed. As much as he wanted to feel some grim satisfaction at her receiving some modicum of comeuppance, he couldn’t help feel a swell of pity for her. She’d misplaced her trust, and whatever glory she hoped to attain was being stolen. It’s what men like Marcus Donovan did. They used smarter, stronger, more capable people than themselves to achieve their goals and take all the credit. Angry as he was, he still could empathize.

Then, he felt a hand wrap around his wrist and an object placed pressed in his hand. Momentarily confused, he stole a quick look back, catching a glimpse of Eva, and realized what she was doing. The corners of her mouth upturned in a sly grin. His thumb traced the edge of the knife she’d passed him, sliding out the blade, and began sawing through his zip tie.

Ken, though, was wholly unaware of what was happening. Instead, his eyes were on the ceiling of the throne room and an ancient system of pulleys and bronze lattice-work that hung above them. His eyes traced the devices’ path farther and farther along the room until they ended just behind Valdivia’s throne.

Donovan smiled triumphantly down at the bones of Hernan de Valdivia, that arrogant glint in his eye. The compass alone would be worth more than even he could imagine. His vast wealth was about to increase tenfold. He reached out slowly for the device.

“Donovan!” Ken cried. “Don’t!”

The old thief glared back at him. This was his moment, and no sanctimonious, has-been was going to stop him. His eyes set back on the compass and grabbed it, prying the device from the skeletal hands of Hernan, breaking one off in the process. Valdivia’s remains crumpled where they had sat for hundreds of years, a loud click issuing forth from below.

The squeak of pulleys and rattling of ancient devices suddenly sent up a distinct note of alarm throughout the plundering mercenaries. They pointed their weapons skyward, looking for the source, as if they were about to be attacked. One of them furrowed his brow in confusion, still unclear as to what was about to happen.

“What the fu-”

Before he could finish the sentence a massive block dropped from above, smashing him into the ground, killing him before he even knew what hit him. After a stunned moment of silence, the room suddenly descended into chaos. A sudden burst of fire rose from a system of vents along the perimeter, engulfing one of the men as another block dropped from the above, crashing through the floor. Flames erupted through the newly made opening, dust and embers mingling with the smoke filling the air as riches beyond counting fell, lost forever to the inferno.

For the first time, Danny saw panic in Marcus Donovan’s eyes. What cold, collected calm he usually possessed was now replaced with sheer terror. With one last flick of his wrist, his ties were cut loose. Quickly, Danny and Eva rushed over to Ken, beginning to cut him free.

“We need to get the hell out of here, kid!” He yelled over the madness ensuing around them.

Donovan’s men ran all about trying to avoid the randomly falling ceiling. Matteo pushed his way through his panic-stricken comrades, desperately trying to save his own life. Donovan narrowly avoided being smashed into a gory, red stain as he sprawled onto the ground just out of the path of another block, the compass flying free from his grasp and clattering across the floor. What remained of Hernan and his throne, though, were crushed into dust.

Eva saw the compass, her eyes reaching it just as Donovan’s did. The pair made a mad dash, scrambling for the artifact, the room crumbling around them. Danny saw her just as Ken’s ties were finally cut, his eyes going wide.

“Eva! No!” He bellowed, rushing to aid her. He’d only gotten a few steps when masonry crashed in front of him. He barely dove out of the way before it hit him.

Eva and Donovan dove forward, both of their hands landing upon the compass at the same moment. As they rose to their knees, old man tried to pry it from her grasp, but she refused to budge. Quickly, he pushed her down onto her back.

“Give me the compass!” He snarled.

“Go to hell!” She screamed, pulling as hard as she could, ripping it from his hands.

Donovan was incensed, reaching for his ankle and grabbing a knife. He readied himself to attack, his arm drawn back to slice.

CRASH!

The ceiling broke through the floor behind him, the ground crumbling beneath his feet. He lost his balance, and Eva saw her opening. With a swift kick to his stomach, Donovan toppled, struggling to grab anything to impede his fall, but there was nothing he could do. Bellowing in terror, Marcus Donovan plummeted down into the flames and he was gone.

“Eva!” Danny cried, startling her. His eyes settled on the compass, the pair sharing a triumphant grin. But the moment was interrupted by another nearby crash. They had to move. “Come on!”

He pulled her to her feet, the two of them breaking into a run towards the staircase. Ken was waiting, waving them on.

“Don’t look back!” He yelled over the chaos. “Move! Move!”

Danny and Eva ran as fast as they could, trying their best to ignore the crashes and crackling behind them as the last bits of the floor finally began to crumble away. Danny could feel it weaken beneath his feet just as they were nearing the stairs. He was just about to plant his foot as he felt it give way. With one last burst of effort he shoved Eva forward, sending her safely onto the steps. But his stomach lurched as he dropped, falling towards the flames.

It was pure, blind luck that his right hand gripped the bottom step at the last second, his body jolting at the sudden stop. He dangled there, flames licking his boots as he tried to get ahold with his left hand to pull himself up, but he just couldn’t. Suddenly, his fingers slipped.

The young journalist’s life flashed before his eyes in an instant. This was how it ended. Every dream, every ambition, all of his struggles lost to the fires of a fake El Dorado. And then a pair of hands caught his wrist.

Danny’s eyes turned up to see Ken, both hands gripping him tightly, Eva reaching out with her own. “Give me your other hand!” She cried.

With all the strength he could muster, he threw his arm up into her grasp. Eva and Ken groaned as the pulled him up from a fiery death, the trio collapsing back onto the stairs, struggling to catch their breath.

Danny’s eyes opened turning from one person to the other, an exhausted laugh leaving him.

“You’re heavier than you look, kid.” Ken chuckled.

“I’ll start the diet tomorrow.” Danny joked, breathlessly. He turned to Eva, a warm, apologetic look in his eyes. It seemed he’d misjudged her after all.

“The compass?” He asked.

Eva reached behind her and held it out to him with that sly grin of hers.

Danny took it, his thumb running across the engravings upon its surface. It was absolutely beautiful. He couldn’t wait to dig into its intricacies, but now was not the time. There was no telling if or how long the stairs would last.

He had just gotten to his feet when he heard the hammer of a pistol being pulled. Matteo stood over them, a .357 magnum leveled his way.

“Oh, Jesus bloody Christ, mate!” He groaned, exasperated. “It’s over! Pack it in, you stupid bastard!”

Matteo, though, was unmoved by his outburst. “The compass! Give it to me!”

Danny shook his head, stashing it away in his cargo pocket.

“You’re outnumbered, slugger.” Ken warned Matteo. “Time to give it up.”

“I’ve got the gun, cabrón.” Matteo sneered, taking one more step down. “Give me the compass or you’re all dead.”

“Fuck ‘im, Danny. He’ll kill us anyway.” Ken said, glaring at their assailant.

“Nobody else needs to die here.” Danny pleaded calmly. The ground shook as the support beams beneath the stairs began to crack.

“You’re running out of time.” Matteo said. “The compass. Now!”

His eyes were on Danny, but they should have been on Eva. Stealthily, she fished a folded knife from her pocket and at just the right moment, she struck. The blade plunged into the mercenary’s boot, piercing through his foot. Matteo screamed in shocked agony, about to turn his gun on her when Danny tackled him. The firearm flew from his grasp, tumbling off into oblivion. Large cracks began to form on the staircase as Danny cocked his fist back and hit him as hard as he could across the face. Matteo’s head bounced off the stone, dazing him for a moment.

“Go!” Danny cried.

Eva and Ken sprinted up the stairs, Danny following as he clambered over Matteo’s body. He made it a few steps when the merc’s strong hands grabbed him by the ankle, tripping him and pulling him down. Danny’s jaw hit the stone stair so hard, he couldn’t believe his teeth didn’t crack.

Dust flew up as more fissures formed. Matteo tried to climb up Danny’s body, grabbing for his pocket and the compass within. Eva cried his name as she saw them struggling.

He couldn’t roll over with the burly man’s weight on his legs, so he threw down an elbow into his face. Matteo’s head snapped back from the impact, his nose bloodied. Danny managed to break free, but then he realized. Matteo had the compass. Both men rose to their feet, bits of stair breaking off at the bottom of the stairs.

Matteo glared with malice in his eyes. Danny shook his head. “Don’t do this.”

“I was willing to let you walk away. All of you.” Matteo said. “But now? Now I’m gonna bury you in this fucking place.”

“Don’t.” Danny pleaded one last time.

“You’re first.”

Matteo lunged, but Danny was ready, dodging his punch. With his left hand he grabbed the compass, with the right he jabbed the mercenary in the stomach, but Matteo’s grip remained strong. Doubled over, he took hold of compass with both hands and tried to wrench it from Danny’s grasp. Both men struggled, but time was not on their side. The step beneath them began to fall away.

Danny managed to move up, but Matteo was not so lucky. He began to fall, his hold on the ancient tool coming loose. On pure instinct, Danny grabbed him by the front of his tactical vest, wide-eyed panic on his face as he prevented him from falling.

“Danny! Come on!” Ken bellowed.

Matteo looked at the young journalist with hate in his eyes, but Danny, ever the optimist, wouldn’t let him fall.

“We can all survive this!” He yelled. “Donovan used you! You don’t have to die with him! Come on!”

Matteo grit his teeth. He didn’t understand this man. Even now, after all the strife between them and in the face of both their impending deaths, Danny was willing to save him.

“Danny!” Eva called out. “The stairs are going to collapse! Let him go!”

Danny, though, kept his focus on the man in front of him. He spoke calmly, compassionately. “Let’s go home.”

Matteo’s expression softened and he nodded slowly. With a grunt, Danny pulled him forward, throwing the man’s arm over his shoulders. Both of them rushed up the stairs as fast as they could.

Ken shook his head in disbelief as they passed. “Kid’s too nice for his own damn good…” he muttered to himself, taking one last look at what remained of the crumbling throne room before rushing after them.

The four of them began the long, arduous trek back out of Hernan’s El Dorado, leaving the ruins in their rearview. One man’s greed and lust for power had claimed hundreds of lives and more today, over four hundred years after its fall. It had been a beacon, luring hundreds of years worth of treasure hunters to their doom. El Dorado was an illusion. A trick. The treasures within its depths that had swayed the greedy hearts of so many men now lay buried in a bed of flames, lost forever. Danny supposed it was a fitting end. After all of the woe he’d witnessed caused by this legend, if a real El Dorado actually existed somewhere out there, maybe it was best that it stay hidden. Maybe it was time to let it die.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

Bogotá. Three days later.

Danny and Eva sat in the waiting room of the local hospital, just recently arrived back in the city. They’d left the compass in the capable hands of Ken when they’d secured accommodations. Where Matteo went after they’d escaped the jungle, neither could say, but Danny had a feeling he wouldn’t be seeing the mercenary again. He hoped the man had a change of heart and sought out a better life. An optimistic fantasy, but one he would cling to nonetheless.

They were meeting with the minister of culture the next morning to hand over their prize. The compass belonged with the people of Colombia. It wasn’t theirs to keep or profit from. It was a part of their culture and Danny could think of no better place for it.

The quiet footsteps of the nurse approached, calling their attention. “He’ll see you now.” she said, her accent heavy.

The pair rose and followed her down the winding corridors to a private room. There, sat up in bed, was Officer Luis Perez, very much alive. Beneath his hospital gown, they could see the bandages around his chest. The wounded officer looked up, a tired smile on his face as he saw them.

“Well.” He said. “Look who it is.”

Danny entered first, a bright, dimpled grin on his face as he approached. “Officer Perez. You’re looking good for a man with a bullet to the chest. Didn’t think we’d be seeing you again.”

“Little piece of metal take me out?” Perez waved him off. “Nah. And it’s Luis to my friends.”

“Luis.” Danny nodded, appreciating the gesture. “How the hell’d you get out of there?”

“Wasn’t easy. But, luckily, your buddies can’t aim for shit.” Luis laughed, wincing slightly after. “Doctor said they missed my heart by a couple centimeters. Managed to swim out, dress the wound and almost back into town before I passed out. Guess some tourists found me and got me here.”

Danny had to admire the man’s pluck. Not a lot of people could manage half of that with a bullet in their torso. “You’re one tough son of a bitch.”

“Yeah, yeah…” Perez smirked. “Nevermind all that. The compass? El Dorado? Did you find it?”

Eva took a step in before Danny could answer. “We did.”

Perez’ eyes moved back and forth between them, wide with excitement. “Where was it? What was it like?”

Danny tore his eyes away from the woman at his side and turned back to Luis. “Built inside a mountain. And it was…”

“Absolutely beautiful. Until it started caving in.” She said.

The officer’s face fell. “So it’s gone?”

“Afraid so.” Danny confirmed. “And all the treasure with it.”

“Damn.” Perez sighed. “What about the pendejos who gave me this?”

Perez nodded to his wound.

“Buried with it.”

That seemed to sit well with the officer. He’d cry no tears for those men. It sounded like they got the fate they deserved. But the destruction of El Dorado and the compass weighed heavy upon his heart. That was a loss

“So, that’s it.” Perez shook his head. “After all of this, we walk away with nothing..”
“Well…I wouldn’t say that.” A sly grin spread across Danny’s lips and Perez’ eyes again went wide.

“You found it?” He whispered, a nod from Danny confirming it. “The compass? Do you have it with you?”

“My friend is looking after it.” Danny informed him, “We’re turning it in tomorrow.”

Luis let out a breath, sinking back against the bed with a content smile. “You’ve done a hell of a thing, Mr. Dubek. Hell of a thing.”

“I had a lot of help.” Danny said. “And my friends call me Danny.”

The two of them regaled him of their tale for the next hour, the officer enthralled with every minute detail. They left out some things, of course. Danny didn’t tell him about Eva’s betrayal, and neither ever mentioned Hernan’s deception. There hardly seemed to be any reason anymore. The secret lie of El Dorado would be his, Eva’s and Ken’s to bear alone. When they could see the tiredness in the man’s eyes, they said their goodbyes.

As Danny and Eva reached the door, Perez called out. “I hope we meet again before you leave. But if we don’t…viya con dios.”

Danny tapped two fingers to his temple and offered a little salute. “Y tu.”
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

The journey was at its end and Danny could finally relax enough to feel the aches and pains he’d earned through it all. The door to his room shut behind him, he stepped over to the bed and flopped down. It somehow felt like ages since he’d actually rested. He thought of all he’d seen, all he’d endured. The lives lost. The artifacts now lost to the flames. He didn’t know how long that place would last, given the state of it when they left. Structures were already beginning to crumble. With any luck, the whole chamber would cave in and leave the men and women who’d given their lives and livelihood to Hernan’s devious con would be able to rest in peace, undisturbed by men like Marcus Donovan. The man might have perished, but there were always more like him in the world, that much was certain.

With a sigh, he let his head loll to one side, catching a glimpse of something shiny upon the table. Danny quirked his brow in curiosity before pushing himself up. As he approached the table he saw what it was. The compass sat, a note attached with a bit of scotch tape.

“Study it while you can, kid. -Ken”

Danny grinned, placing his hands upon the golden relic. His fingertips brushed the aged surface, tracing the etchings in the metal. In his mind he was trying to translate some of the characters, but couldn’t make sense of them. Likely, someone in the Colombian ministry would be able to. His eyes landed upon the needle, noting that it didn’t point north in the slightest. The tip was most definitely directed westward toward the door of his room.

He wondered if it was, in fact, magic, or just some ancient mechanical trick played upon a superstitious conquistador. Briefly, he entertained the idea that the shaman of legend might have actually known where a real city of gold existed and used this device to keep Coronado from claiming it. There was no way of knowing, of course. Anyone who would know had been dead and buried for over four hundred years. It was just as well, Danny supposed.

As he fished in his pockets for his disposable camera to snap photos of the device, a knock came from the door. Danny glanced up, alarm rising for a moment before he realized any real threats had been neutralized. His back ached as he rose, crossing the room and turning the knob.

On the other side, he found the golden eyes of Eva peering up at him. Even after everything, they still managed to take his breath away.

“Hey.” He greeted her.

A tiny smile formed on her lips, an almost apologetic look behind those eyes. “Hey.” She said, “Can I come in?”

Danny stepped aside allowing her to pass through. He could smell the scent of her perfume as she entered, the door clicking shut behind them.

“You okay?” Danny asked.

Eva glanced over her shoulder at him, that smile feeling more forced. “Not really.”

Danny pulled a chair for her, sitting at the foot of the bed. “What’s up?”

For a moment, she seemed to be mulling over her words, searching for the right ones. Finally, she met his eyes. “What I did? With Donovan and…and you. I just…I wanted to apologize.”

They hadn’t spoken of it in the three days since leaving the cave. He didn’t particularly know what to say, regardless. He’d trusted her and she had repaid it by hurting him. He couldn’t be certain her double cross of Donovan was out of revenge or some semblance of feeling for him.

“You came around in the end.” He finally said, softly.

“I know.” She said, though her tone showed no comfort gained from the knowledge. “He came to me before we met. He promised me everything I wanted and I said yes. But then I met you. I saw what kind of man you were. And…I regretted it.”

Danny remained silent, patiently listening as she tried to get out what she needed to.

“I don’t have regrets, Danny.” She said. “I do what I need to in order to get what I want and I’ve never apologized for it. You aren’t like that. You’re kind. You’re generous. You sacrifice for the people you care about. My father was the same way. I saw that in you and…it hurt. It hurt because I know that isn’t me. But, for the first time in my life, I wanted it to be.”

“You know, it’s never too late.” Danny said quietly.

“There.” She smiled and shook her head slowly. “That. I almost get you killed and you’re trying to make me feel better about myself. Most men would be shouting. Hell, most men would have left me…and that mercenary to die. We deserved it. But that isn’t you, is it?

“Eva, I’m not a saint.” Danny chuckled. “I do the things I do, I am the way I am because that’s who I want to be. You don’t think I looked at that treasure and had a million ideas of how I’d spend it?”

Eva looked at him, one corner of her mouth upturning. “No. I don’t.”

“Half of it, and I’d never have to work another day in my life.” He admitted. “I could settle down in some mansion on the beach and just live my life in peace.”

Eva couldn’t help but laugh. “You’d go insane within a week.”

“Oh, I think I’d manage.”

She shot him a dubious look. “I see the light in your eyes when you’re working out these riddles. The way you looked at that compass for the first time. It was the only time I saw something of myself in you. You love the work. Same as me. Believe me, Danny, a life spent in wealthy seclusion would bore you to tears.”

Danny knew she was right, though he didn’t want to admit it. It was never about the destination for him, and it certainly wasn’t about riches. The journey was everything to him. Seeing sights few ever had, touching history, leaving his mark upon the world. Those were the things that drove him.

Eva reached out and took his hands, looking him in the eye. “You’re an amazing man, Danny. You see the world in a way that I forgot a long time ago. I hope, in time you’ll forgive me.”

“Already done.” He whispered.

And there he went, proving her point. Eva moved in quickly, her lips pressing gently to his. Both slowly melted into the kiss, reconnecting with increasing vigor. Eva found herself climbing up onto his lap, relishing the warmth his skin and the feel of his mouth upon hers. Their bodies sank back onto the bed, hands exploring as articles of clothing were, one by one, discarded. Something deep in her heart ached as she realized what exactly it was that she felt for the man. It wasn’t just admiration, or warmth…it was love. She’d had several disposable partners and many men in her bed, but for the first time, she knew what love was.

And it broke her heart knowing what she needed to do.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

Ken woke to rays of sunshine laying across his face. He groaned, trying in vain to swat them away. He’d forgotten to close the drapes again, he realized. His body seemed to resist as he sat up, throwing his legs over the side of the bed. With one last moan of protest, he pushed himself off of the bed.

A shower and change of clothes later, he found himself wandering down the hall to Danny’s room. As he went to knock, he noticed the door was open a crack. Curious, he moved it aside, looking into the room. Inside, he found Danny sitting at the edge of his bed. Immediately, he could see it in his posture. He’d been on the other side of it many times in his life. It was heartbreak.

“Kid?” He called out to him.

Danny didn’t respond, he just stared at the floor with that wounded look on his face.

“Danny.” Ken said again, moving up beside his young protege. Finally, those green eyes met his, registering a deep sadness he’d never seen behind them. “What happened kid.”

Ken followed that pained gaze to the table and Ken realized that the compass was gone. In its place was his note. He stood and moved over, taking the slip of paper in his hand. On its surface wasn’t his handwriting, but he would soon know whose it was. It was only four words, but they said it all.

Danny-
I’m sorry.
-Eva.

Ken’s heart sank as he realized what had happened. She’d stolen it. From the moment they met, Ken didn’t trust the woman, but Danny wanted to so very badly. He knew the kid well, When he made up his mind about someone, there was no changing it. Even when she’d sold them out to Donovan, he wanted to believe the best in her. It was a quality Ken admired, even if it was a bit foolhardy. He just wished it hadn’t come with so much heartache for his young friend.

“Jesus.” Ken said ruefully. “I’m sorry, kid.”

Danny’s eyes remained locked upon the floorboards, even when Ken sat beside him.

“I’m so sorry.” Ken said, gently placing a hand on his back.

When Danny finally spoke, his voice was flat. “Call the ministry. Tell them it's gone.”

Ken looked at him, perplexed. “To hell with the ministry. You alright?”

“I’m fine.” Danny said. Everything they’d worked for had been for nothing. The compass was gone and it was his fault. He’d trusted someone who wasn’t worth trusting and now they were both paying for it. “Let’s get the hell out of here.”

A few hours later and they were sitting on the tarmac, the familiar confines of Bessie’s cockpit surrounding them while they waited for the go ahead for takeoff. The ministry was understandably disappointed, but understood the situation. Eva Morales would certainly have a very difficult time getting back into Colombia if she ever tried again. It wasn’t much but it was something.

Danny stared out the window in silence. He hadn’t said much at the meeting and conversation was nonexistent on the drive over. Ken didn’t have the words to comfort him. He didn’t believe anyone could.

Finally, after a long uncomfortable Silence, Ken turned to the young man and spoke.

“Hey…” he said. “So, I know this one was a blow. I know you’re feelin’ pretty down right now, and I ain’t gonna tell you not to. We lost this one, kid. It’s a shit sandwich and it sucks. But I want you to have somethin’.”

He thrust his hand into the thigh pocket of his cargo pants, fishing around for something inside. Danny glanced over, tiredness mingling with grief in his eyes.

“Don’t imagine much from that throne room survived,” Ken began, “But there was somethin’ I didn’t tell them. I got something that did.”

He produced one small, single golden coin, a grin forming. Danny’s brow creased, for a moment the pain replaced with awe.

“This is from the throne room?” Danny asked. “How’d you get this?”

Ken shrugged. “You were there. It was chaos. Everything fallin’ apart, people getting splattered…and I guess there’s a tiny bit of ‘thief’ in the old man here.”

He grinned at his young protégé, that mischievous twinkle in his eye. “I was gonna keep it for my own collection, but I think you should have it.”

He offered it to Danny, those green eyes turning up to his mentor, unsure if he should.

“Keep it as a reminder.” Ken said, pressing the coin into Danny’s hand.. “Not every journey works out the way you want, but you should always carry something away from it. Even if it’s just a lesson.”

Danny held the last piece of the El Dorado treasure in his hand, clutching it tightly. He'd certainly learned his lesson, one he’d not soon forget. Both were things he’d carry for the rest of his life. He’d listen when people told him who they were. He’d exercise caution with his trust in others. But it also reminded him to appreciate the moments as they came, to embrace the journey, even if the ending was painful. He was young, and there were far more adventures that lay ahead. Danny Dubek’s story was far from over.
Dah
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Dah »

Epilogue

Sixteen years later.

Danny stood in the kitchen of his small apartment, the sweet, soft hum of the little fae lounging on the couch, reading while he cooked breakfast providing a sweet soundtrack to his morning. Many years and countless adventures lay between El Dorado and that morning, but he still wore the small gold coin around his neck, close to his heart. He’d seen many things in those years that had astounded him, experiencing love, loss and the gamut of human existence. He’d found another world, written a best-selling book, and above all, he found Alexia. In her, he found something that he’d always been searching for. Something worth more than any treasures gained and lost over the years. He’d found a soulmate.

He couldn’t say for sure why it came into his mind as he watched and listened. Maybe it was just his love for her..or maybe he was just ready to let go.

“Hey, love?” He said, stepping into the living room.

That lilting little melody that gently danced in the small space between them took a little upswing into an adorable little 'hm?' She tore her gaze from the book in her lap and turned her warm, doting gaze up to meet his, a hint of a smile playing at her lips.

Danny looked into those big, brown eyes. She never failed to take his breath away. A smile crossed his lips as he reached up to touch the small golden object hanging down against his chest. For a moment, he just held it.

“There’s…something I’d like you to have.”

He made his way over, slipping in comfortably beside her. He held up the little gold rock.

“Sixteen years ago, Ken and I went searching for El Dorado. I know I told you a bit about that. But it wasn’t the whole story.”

Curiosity faded the barely formed smile and knit dark pretty brows. She nodded slowly as she recalled the things he'd shared. At the time, she'd sensed there was more to the story, but didn't dare prod. Now, as he brought it back up of his own volition, she listened with rapt attention.

"I'm l-listening, my love." She murmured reassuringly.

He thought how he wanted to word it for a few seconds before those green eyes met hers.

“We went looking for this big, glorious city made of gold. This…absolute treasure. But what we found was a lie. A complete fabrication created by a greedy man trying desperately to con people out of their riches. At the time, it was…heartbreaking. But it taught me something.”

He glanced down at the small piece of gold.

“It taught me that, just because things don’t turn out how you planned, doesn’t mean they don’t hold value. I carried that lesson through heartbreak after heartbreak, and have kept this small reminder ever since. I needed to remind myself that real treasure isn’t found it’s made.”

He slipped the thin leather strap from around his neck, taking her hand in his before pressing the gold to her palm.

“This is the last piece of the treasure of El Dorado. And I want you to have it.”

She opened her mouth to speak, but she would quickly freeze, a tiny gasp passing her lips. The moment the piece of gold, warmed by Danny's touch even from the short time he held it, touched her palm, a myriad of images flooded her brain. Her pupils dilated as she saw it all. The danger, the mystery, the romance found and quickly lost, squandered over material possessions, the pain of broken hearts, spirits, and bodies, all flashed in her mind's eye.

When it finally stopped, she found herself panting ever so slightly. It took a moment or two for her eyes to regain focus and the images to fade until all she could see was that handsome face before her. She swallowed hard before trying to speak again, only to find her voice would barely go above a whisper.

"D-Danny..." She was at a loss for words. It would be a long moment or two before she could speak again.

"Are... Are you s-sure, *mo chroí*?" Her expression was a mix of concern and awe.

Somehow, he understood what she had seen. He could see the spark of realization in her beautiful, gentle eyes. Slowly, he nodded.

“I’m sure.” He said. “I spent a large portion of my life chasing after treasures all over the world. Always looking for the next. But the most important treasure I’ve ever found…wasn’t jewels or a city. And it certainly wasn’t gold. It’s this.”

He pressed her hand to his heart. “It’s you. *You* are all I’ll ever need.“

Now misty-eyed, Alexia felt her smile return, with perhaps just a small tremble of her lip. She reclaimed her hand only long enough to slip the leather cord around her own neck and adjust her dark brown locks, only to lean in for a loving embrace, her cheek gently pressing into the spot where her hand had been.

"I'll always treasure it, my love." She said, her voice finally returning as she gazed up at him.

Danny held her tight, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. The pain of El Dorado was his past, but the woman in his arms in that very moment was his future…and Danny Dubek would cherish her forever.

Return to “The World Ahead”