a day in the life

“Some days I am more wolf than woman, and I am still learning how to stop apologizing for my wild.” - Nikita Gill

Moderator: Delaney Lovell

Delaney Lovell
Adventurer
Adventurer
The Dire

a day in the life

Post by Delaney Lovell »

When Delaney released her hold on him, he wasted no time skittering backwards across the floor. Wrapping his head with his arms to protect himself from anymore incoming hits, sputtering the whole time. Delaney on the other hand was rolling over onto her belly, dragging herself to the head of the bed and taking as many deep breaths as she could manage. Once she reached the mound of pillows she was shoving them aside frantically, digging her hand between the edge of the mattress and the wall.

"You ruined everything! We were happy! We were in love!" He was still nursing his head as he aimed a disgusted look at Delaney, clawing at the wall. "You were never a dove! You were a rat! You were always a rat!" He was after her again, shoving himself to his feet and trudging onto the bed to finish this once and for all. She didn't deserve him.

That was when Delaney's fingers wrapped firmly around the handle of her pink metal Barbie baseball bat. When she turned, the bat was unsheathed from its home nestled behind the mattress. She kept that momentum, cracking the bat into the side of his knee, which instantly buckled and gave way beneath him. She didn't even manage to get to her feet. She didn't want to waste time and give him a moment to turn the tables. Instead, she wrapped both hands around the bat and brought it down onto the figure. There was a metallic thud when it made contact. Delaney was reeling the bat back overhead and unleashing another blow. She hit the struggling figure again. And again. And again.

She had lost count of how many times she hit him. It was when she heard some sort of wet crack that she forced herself to stop. The bat was still held firmly overhead. Cocked and ready to swing if he moved a muscle. She lost count of how long she sat like that, watching and waiting. Seconds? Minutes? Hours? It was only when she felt a shred of confidence that he wasn't moving that she released one hand from the bat. Shaking fingers snaked into the pocket of her pants and drew out her cellphone. She barely had to look at the screen, muscle memory taking her to her desired contact.

One ring... two rings... There was a click when the line connected. A bright voice that felt so alien in her darkened room came through. Hey, bestie! How're you feeling? Tahlia's voice shattered what little hold Delaney had on her emotions. The dam broke free and her reply came in a strained rasp from her assaulted vocal chords. "Help me, Tahlia... I'm home... Help." Delaney couldn't even make out what Tahlia was saying in reply. The words were soothing and sweet, even if it sounded like there was a flurry of action happening in the background. Just hold on, Del. I'm on my way. That managed to find its way to Delaney's brain through the fog. And that's what she did. Unmoving, the bat still held overhead at the ready, staring intently at the body in front of her. The sounds of her best friend frantically crossing the city to reach her pressed to her ear.
Tahlia Faras
Adventurer
Adventurer

a day in the life

Post by Tahlia Faras »

“Again. And I swear to ****, Enrique, if you don’t stop fighting me like I sign your paycheck, I am going to stop signing your paycheck. We clear?”

“Crystal, Mrs. Blake.” Enrique, who up until a week ago had been pulling minimum wage teaching tango to tuned out teenagers, and filling the gaps with some underground fighting, shook his head as he took up position again. He still wasn’t entirely sure how she’d found him, or why, but since she was currently paying as much for this week as he brought home in a month, he wasn’t going to ask too many questions.

How she’d found him was easy, when you remembered she had Reggie “PopTart” Barnes in her corner. The why was a little harder to pin down. Jammy Jam had been a raging success. The Pearl was running smoothly. She had friends, and her ragtag little family. Life, as they say, was good. But she’d realized something in the rings that night, and she wanted to - test the theory. Hence Enrique.

Come on Barbie, lets go party, ah ah ah yeah

Holding up a finger, she tapped the bud nestled in her ear, a smile in her voice as she switched gears. “Hey bestie, how’re you feeling?” Del’s diminished energy since the party hadn’t been lost on her, but then, they’d been going full tilt, the two of them, since the beginning of the year. The weekends plan for lounging on the yacht were probably just the thing.

Enrique spun his sword - a real one, she’d insisted, looking away to give her a moment of privacy. Curious at the as yet unheard tone, he half-turned back, and froze. What came out of those plush lips was soft, soothing - and entirely at odds with the swift movements that sent the katana she’d been practicing with into the mats. It stood there, juddering slightly, as she reached for her bag, dismissing him with a sharp wave. “Just hold on, Del, I’m on my way.” Lesson, apparently, over.

The Jaguar was already purring by the time she opened the door, and she didn’t even bother muting as she spoke to the sudden silence. “Text Puddin. Baby, I’m heading to Del’s, something’s up. Trackers on, I’ll call you when I know what. End.” Lights strobed across the tinted glass, the Jaguar cutting in and around traffic like a dusky purple chem trail. Which seemed accurate, since she wasn’t so much driving as flying low. One hand on the wheel, the other moving swiftly to seemingly random points within the cabin. Something in Del’s voice, in the way it broke, reminded her of another phone call, in what felt like another life. When she exited the vehicle, parked somewhat haphazardly in the street outside her bestie’s apartment, she didn’t look much different, save the cold silver flecks against pale jade eyes - and the fact that there was a matte metallic Sig held against her thigh.

The locked door presented certain…issues. With no idea what she was walking into, or where, exactly, her friend was - Tahlia took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a necessary moment. There was a lot going on from a whiff-perspective, but no blood near the door. Inside the little apartment, yes, but that meant all the more reason for speed, not stealth. She could hear Del’s breathing on the other end of the still-open line, and nothing else. “Del, sweetie, I’m coming in.” These were not her best ****-kicking heels, but they’d have to do. Eddie was so much better at the application of raw power, but if Delany were bleeding out, there wasn’t time. Taking a step back, Tahlia slammed her foot into the edge of the door, and sent it crashing backwards.

One step, two. The muzzle of the gun was up and sweeping...and stopped on the frozen form sitting with a bright pink bat over her head. “Heyyyy bestie…” There was a figure on the floor. One who wasn’t moving. Breathing, wetly, but not moving. Nice job, Del. “What’s goin on?”
Tahlia Faras
Adventurer
Adventurer

a day in the life

Post by Tahlia Faras »

Delaney had been in the same position since she dialed Tahlia. The bat poised overhead and her bloodshot gaze trained on the body in front of her. There had been a hint of relief when she heard Tahlia's call from the other side of the front door matching the words through the phone, but it was only when the outline of Tahlia filled the doorway of her bedroom that panic truly seized Delaney. "Is he dying?" The words had to be forced out and each one was painful, so she made them count. "Tahlia, did I kill him?" That was at the forefront of her mind. She didn't know who this man was or what he had wanted from her, but she didn't want his blood on her hands.

She wanted to say no, immediately. She could have, technically he was still breathing, and so, by definition, wasn't dead. But this was Delaney, and the little blonde knew what she was really asking. Tucking the pistol away in the small of her back, between her skin and the crossed silver blades she never left home without, Tahlia made her way over to the bruised and battered figure crumbled at the edge of the bed. If she pressed a little harder into his carotid than strictly necessary, she could be forgiven, she couldn't see the bruises on her best friends throat, but she knew that rasp intimately. "He's not dying." Yet. "You didn't kill him." I might. "Bestie. Are you ok?" Other than the panic. Her voice stayed that smooth, soothing stroke as she stood back up, and nudged whoever he was with a foot. "See? He's moving...maybe you get up off the bed, okay?"

Delaney thought that Tahlia's answers would bring her relief. Instead the confirmation that the man wasn't dead only managed to make that feeling of fight or flight start to rear its head and anxiety was tightening in her chest all over again. She was losing the hold she had on herself, a faint shiver from head to toe overtaking the entirety of her body. She wasn't cold, but the adrenaline coursing through her was even causing her teeth to chatter around her response. "Yes, okay." It was hard to tell if she was actually answering one of Tahlia's questions or simply making sounds. Finally, finally, the bat she had held aloft this whole time was dropped onto the mattress. There was no grace to the movements as Delaney got her feet beneath her, keeping her attention on the man the entire time even if he didn't seem like he would be getting up anytime soon. "He was here... when I got home..." Trying to fill Tahlia in as she skirted the wall of the room and moved for the doorway.

She let out a slow breath, not just in the hopes that it would get Del to breathe but also because this...all of this...reminded her of a cheap motel room not too far from here. Or at least, it had been, before it had been blown to kingdom come to cover up what happened when her powers slipped the leash. Simon would get a kick out of this story, if she ever saw him again to tell him. "Del. Delaney." She waited til the just-shy-of-shock brunette looked at her, and locked eyes. "Here is what we're gonna do. The Jag's out front. You're gonna get in, lock the doors, you're gonna turn the heated seats on, and the heater, and you're going to wait for me in the car." Still keeping attention on the now-groaning figure at her feet, she slid out the fob, and was rewarded by a rumble from outside. "Okay?"

Before she could get an answer, there was a cough, followed a moment later by thick laughter. "Oh, little dove - of course you called her." He struggled to lift his head, as if looking for someone...bigger...and when the expected hulking presence didn't emerge, the laughter returned. "It'll be okay, little dove just a misunderstanding...you two go have some girls time, I'll get cleaned up and be waiting for you when you get back..."

Hearing the sound from Tahlia, it did in fact remind Delaney that she needed to breathe. The breath she dragged in and released was shallow, but it was something. Delaney was still intent on not looking away from the figure on the floor, but the quiet insistence of Tahlia had her peering that way, wide eyes laced with broken blood vessels meeting silver flecked jade. Normally Del would be bobbing her head along to the instructions to make it clear she was listening, but the only movement from her was the ongoing shiver that had nothing to do with the cold. Her mouth opened to reply, but the cough had her reeling the few steps to press her back to the wall behind her. It didn't seem possible, but Delaney's eyes managed to go even wider in horror at the words from the man. Her expression crumpled, confusion and defeat at the promise from him worn openly. "He keeps... calling me that...?" She knew Tahlia was as in the dark as she was, but Delaney wasn't going to address him directly. Too worried it would somehow spur him on in all of this and play into what he wanted.

"Does he." There was something in the way she said it, ice dripping off the first word, somehow more chilling for the smile that spread across her face. Eddie knew that smile, knew it well, and had he been there, he might have warned the man under her heel (literally now) that the smartest thing he could do was shut up. But he wasn't and the imbecile was probably too deluded to take the hint anyway. "Don't worry bestie. I promise he'll never do it again." Calm. Certain. It was a promise Delaney could take to the bank. The look on her friends face was not something she'd ever felt, but she'd seen it. It was Lula's face after the seas turned red. It was not a look that inspired her to kindness. That plus the fact that even sitting in the heated car was only going to stave off what was coming, and coming fast from the looks of it. "You can stay, if you want. But I don't think you want to. I'll be quick, and then we can go home." Home, in this case, meaning the Pearl.

The prone idiot opened his mouth to protest - or something, it was hard to tell from the rasping gurgle that resulted as one foot shifted and added a little more weight to his windpipe. "Shove it, dumb***. Bestie...your call..."

Tahlia's promise had Delaney gulping, despite the ache it caused. Not for herself, but for him. At the same time, it was that pain in her throat that made it really hard to plead for anything on his behalf. Tahlia chimed in with the option for Delaney to stay and that had Del moving again, never turning her back on the man even if Tahlia's foot was planted firmly on his neck. "I don't want to stay." The words were pure cowardice, she knew it, but she knew that she didn't have to prove herself to anyone in this room. Tahlia wasn't going to hold it against her and she was the only one that mattered. Delaney hesitated by the doorway, peering back to Tahlia. "Are you going to be okay?" Tahlia obviously had the upperhand in this situation. The little blonde was so much more than she appeared in so many ways. But that was still Delaney's bestie and she needed to hear the confirmation before she went slinking off to the safety of the car.

"I'll be fine." The emphasis was accompanied by a shift of her foot, off the neck and into a shoulder. The blonde ponytail swayed back and forth as she shook her head, the hard lines of her face softening for just a moment. "Don't worry about me, bestie. I'm good. Go. Sit in my car and make sure no one does anything dumb." Like Del was doing her a favor. She didn't blame Barbie #1, not in the slightest. Delaney was too pure for what was about to happen. And if Tahlia had her way, she would stay that way.

Hearing Del exit, she turned her attention to the scum beneath her foot. "Get up." She took a step back, then another, her eyes taking in the humble surroundings. The bed would likely be a total loss, if not the whole apartment. It would depend on how much he made her work to get the information she wanted. There was something about the truly unhinged - the fanatic adherence to whatever fantasy they'd traded reality for. She didn't have time to be as thorough as she'd like to be...brutal would have to do.

"Tahlia -" Her eyes narrowed as they came back to rest on the woozily swaying figure kneeling in front of her. Good enough. "Really, my little dove is overreacting. Just a misunderstanding, though I'm pleased she had the sense to call you, not the red demon slut, or that weak little man...or Eddie." The curl of his lip at the name almost ended his life right there, but there were things she needed to know. "You know couples have their moments...she just needs to understa-" The word cut off as his head snapped to the side. The blonde might be little, but she was fierce.

"One. You do not call her that. Two. I get it. Del? Totally get it. Way out of your league, but maybe if you'd come at this as...I dunno...not a psycho, she might have given you a shot. She's gorgeous, talented, funny, sweet...and kind. So so kind. Makes friends with everything. Unfortunately for you, she made friends with me. And by the time I'm done with you? You're going to wish she called Droet. Or Kruger. Or Eddie. Or pretty much anyone else. Your last hope for mercy left with her. Now. Let's get started, shall we?"
Tahlia Faras
Adventurer
Adventurer

a day in the life

Post by Tahlia Faras »

Turning away from the slowly spreading pool - the sheets had long since soaked through, Tahlia glanced down at the laminated plastic card carefully held between two knuckles, the silver slowly fading back into the green. "You got that Reg? I want everything you can find. Where he worked. Who his contacts are. Everything. And then - I want it to be like he never existed. Send a cre-actually." She tucked the id into a small moleskin book, smudging a small drop of blood across the picture with her thumb. "Nevermind that. I'll take care of it. Del's coming back with me, so the guest room - yeah. Perfect. Maybe take Lula out for a bit? She's pretty..." There was a soft laugh, and a nod, the notebook shoved into a pocket. "Right." She stepped wide over a smeared trail - a failed attempt at escape, once he'd realized that he really would have been much better off with anyone but her. The last act of a coward caught. "Thanks Reg, I think that's it...put Eddie on?"

Slow steps carried her along the edge of the room, cool jade scanning the narrow pipe just above the baseboard. A ring, and a click, and that voice was in her ear. "Hey Puddin. I'm ok. Del's...gonna be ok." Finding what she was looking for, she drove a heel through mostly rust, and was rewarded with a faint hiss. "She had a ****ing stalker, is what. Had." Grabbing a familiar red and black cloth, she made a mental promise to replace it as she twisted the smoke and sweat fumed jersey in her hands, and made her way to the kitchen. "Reg's running Mr. Clean...I'm just finishing up now..." Something about the carton of OJ on the counter struck her as...off. Picking it up, she pressed a licked finger to the powder that clung to the roughly torn spout. "Of course she's staying with us...this guy was a nutjob." Finger to her lips, the tip of her tongue flicked out almost idly, still scanning for something more flammable "She's a little shocky so I asked Reg to..." The tingle started in her lips, spread to her tongue, and her voice died for a moment. "Baby, I'm leaving now, I gotta get her home...call Saul? I want her checked out by someone we trust...have 'em use the backdoor. Think the ***hole's been dosing her with...something...". It was enough to have her glaring at the pale corpse sprawled on the bed as she shoved the carton in plastic bag. Finding a bottle of something cheap and hard, she doused the cloth in her other hand and lit it before flinging it toward the cloth and paper that filled Delaney's former bedroom.

The soft whoomf was all she needed to hear, and the killer blonde was stalking out the door, grabbing the Anvil jacket that hung by the door, and the guitar case that leaned beneath it. Everything else was just stuff. The flicker barely reached the windows as she swung open the drivers side door. Handing the jacket across to her best friend, she slid the case into the back, the street light catching a staggered streak of blood along her jaw as she climbed inside. "Let's get you outta here, huh? Hot shower...couple of days of TLC at the Pearl. Sound good?" As they pulled away, into the night, she turned the radio on to fill the quiet.

Now I lay you down to sleep
And pray with the devil
You rest in peace

Return to “Little Runaway”