Who could have done such a horrible act?

Located in the Old Temple District of Rhydin City.

Moderator: Xenograg

Shakira
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Who could have done such a horrible act?

Post by Shakira »

Shakira has been busy. She has been spending much of her time lately with charity work. She has made donations for the local hospital, and she built both an orphanage and a home for the elderly. She even supplied the three charities with security guards to protect against the crime and injustice that has been on the rise.

She smiles as people thank her for her great work. Some even have suggested that she should take charge of RhyDin City and rid them of their problems once and for all. There is a banquet in her honor, and donations from the wealthy people in RhyDin -- filling her coffers to aid in her noble cause.

A page comes into the room with horrible news. The orphanage has been burnt down to cinders. There are no survivals. Shakira pales at the news, she had just been talking to the town council about expanding the orphanage so it could accomodate more of the homeless children, considering their numbers have been growing with the recent crime wave. Shakira sits on a nearby chair, looking heart broken.

"Who could have done such a horrible act?" Asked one of the council members.

"I can only think of someone that hates me enough to do such a thing," she replied. Wiping tears from her eyes, Shakira turns her face to look at the councilman and says one single word.

"Max."
Shakira
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Shakira »

The authorities have just arrived at the scene of the fire. They are looking around for clues as to who did this horrible crime. They are ordered to leave no stone unturned--dedicated to finding the criminal, sooner or later. As they look around what is left of the orphanage, a small winged creature appears and hides in the debris. It is carrying something in its arms. It looks around from behind a burnt pole. It stealthly makes its way to where they found the dead guard. Quickly looking around to make sure that nobody is watching, it drops the carried package on the ground and then disappears.

Hours later, the city watchmen finally make their way to the back of the ruins where the guard was found. One of them calls for assistance, and their captain quickly arrives to see what he found. The captain picks up the object but doesn't know what to make of it: a thin gold ring made of small pieces of obsidian, cut and fitted together to make a rose, with small diamonds lining the outer edges of the flower. After inspecting it, the captain puts it away and orders the men to keep looking for more clues. He stands watching his men thinking that this ring might be a clue to lead them to the criminal. Soon there will be justice.
Xenograg
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Bey

Post by Xenograg »

An anonymous letter sits in the watch captain's chair back at headquarters. No one was seen entering or leaving the office. The letter reads simply thus:

"Have a forensic sorcerer walk through the site of the orphanage fire. I believe he or she will find a relevant, malevolent, demonic impression within.

- A soldier for the truth"
"The stupidest creative act is still a creative act, and that the real gap isn't between the mediocre and great work. The real gap is between getting started and doing nothing. If you've created something, even if it's stupid, you've put yourself in a position to do more." - Clay Shirky
Endrigon
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Forensic Investigation

Post by Endrigon »

"But what does it mean, master Endrigon?"

"Elder, I am as puzzled by the results as you." The wizard glanced at the faces of the assembled elders, reading their reactions as he continued his report. "The anonymous message suggested that a forensic investigation of the orphanage site would reveal demonic involvment. I am unable to confirm that tip.

"An extensive survey of the site, using a number of sorceries and thaumaturgic tests, revealed no demonic or otherworldly agent being involved in the fire. Only human agents showed up in the auguries." The wizard paused. He glanced down at the long table between him and the elders. In the center, resting before the elder who spoke, was the gold ring that had been discovered in the remains of the fire.

"The ring on the other hand..." Endrigon eyes moved up to meet the elder's once again. "The ring does give off a minor demonic impression."

The wizard stepped forward and gestured to the ring as he spoke. "The impression is faint--possibly obscured--but the entity that delivered the ring was a minor demon-type, perhaps an imp."

"Are you telling us that the ring was planted at the fire?" The question from an elder on the left end of the table.

Again the wizard paused before speaking. "Yes, elder, it would appear that the ring was placed there. What I cannot answer is whether it was placed there by the arsonist, an accomplice of the arsonist, or some other agency."

"What about the arsonists? Have we any leads on them?"

"I am afraid we've met with a complication, elder."

"What sort of complication?"

"The bodies of the arsonists, or at least those that our auguries point to as being the arsonists, were found butchered and scattered about the city. Err...well...at least those parts we've been able to find."

"What about necromancy? Can we find a medium through which we can interrogate them?"

These elders were well informed on their magics, Endrigon noted. The wizard shook his head. "Nay, I fear not, elder. The trauma of their deaths will make it impossible to interrogate them. We did consult with a necromancer when the parts began turning up. The...pain...of their deaths was so great that their spirits have become unreachable."

The elders rumbled in discontent. "Is there nothing then that you can tell us? Will there be no justice for the children burned in this horrible tragedy?"

Another of the elders responded to the inquiry. "Calm yourself. Justice will be had." The elder turned to the wizard. "Master Endrigon and his team did what they could. We could have hoped for more, but we will have to rely upon other avenues of investigation now. I understand the captain is interrogating sources now. We should have his report shortly."

"We thank you, Master Endrigon, and we thank your team for their efforts. Please let us know if there is aught else that you are able to discover."

The wizard recognized the dismissal and bowed to the lead elder, then turned and walked from the council chambers.

Return to “Dojo Darelir”