Of Jabs and Dreams

The lives of the infamous Wrecking Crew

Moderators: Ticallion Carter, Myria Graziano, Ria Graziano, Maria Graziano

Ticallion Carter
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: An upscale bachelor's loft in New Haven is his primary residence.

Of Jabs and Dreams

Post by Ticallion Carter »

All around the training facility, computers hummed quietly and printers emitted that loud and annoying noise they usually do when printing out. Various other machines clicked and whirred as they went about their own tasks, and lab assistants went back and forth around the large complex to either speak to one another about the printouts they were receiving or to punch a few numbers into the computers.

For Ticallion Carter, the supposed multi-level and highly technological training facility of Tyr Enterprises, Inc. seemed more like a top secret governmental science lab. But that was neither here nor there. He was here for a few reasons, and those would be easier to accomplish here than anywhere else. Especially the Kitsune Stadium gym. His thoughts flowed like a river from the Stadium, to the Crew, to inevitably, Kaja. That’s when his right fist balled up on it’s own accord and before Tical could even think about it (despite the fact he heard the computers near him that were connected to the wired gloves on his hands beep and reset ) he launched probably the most devastating jab of his whole life which connected solidly with the computerized pad in front of him.

For a minute, nothing happened. In actuality, nothing happened for a long while following that because each and every one of the computers around him that had been monitoring his usual pre-challenge marathon workout winked out, one by one. One of the lab technicians rushed over, his white lab coat billowed behind him like a cape. The tech, a young kid about Tical’s own age, adjusted his wire-rimmed glasses on his nose and squinted at a large computer screen, bewildered. Tical watched the lanky guy for a few seconds before he ventured his own guess about the power outage.

“I told ya. That thing wouldn’t be able to keep up with my workout.” He was half-joking, but that wasn’t as obvious as it usually was. In fact, for the past few weeks since his return he hadn’t been able to have the usual command over that playful tone in his voice. Maybe that was because of the fact that he didn’t find too much to be playful about. Seeing Kaja with G’nort and arguing with her just about every day was taxing on him emotionally, then in addition to that he had to deal with the growing rift between himself, Kaja and the rest of the Crew, particularly Maria. However, the primary reason started before he could even make his way back to the city. It started on the last leg of his promotional tour for Tyr. Just about every night he would have strange dreams, dreams that he couldn’t fully explain because of the fact that they seemed so realistic that…

“Mr. Carter, did you hear me? Don’t you think that’s amazing? I mean, it’s a little strange, but it’s incredible…” Tical snapped from his thoughts to find the lab technician looking at him from behind his glasses, one of the computer screens had flickered back on during Tical’s reverie.

“No, sorry. I was thinking ‘bout something. What happened?” Tical’s light brown eyes moved from the computer screen back to the lab technician who typed on a few keys, then whirled back around quickly to face Tical.

The excitement on the tech’s face was one he couldn’t hide, and in fact he didn’t even try. “Well, according to the numbers that were reached just before we lost power due to that jab…you’re not only quicker than you were before the promotional tour, you’re also more powerful…to a considerable degree. That‘s amazing considering you were away from sport and training for those few months. That last punch registered at 220 before we lost power, but there‘s no doubt it could have kept climbing if the computer could have handled it.. Are you sure nothing has happened since you‘ve left and returned? Because this is unexplainable.”

Tical’s thoughts immediately returned to the dreams he was having before he came back, the dreams about Darius Mitchell. The dreams he never had a break from since that first night. He removed the computerized gloves and casually tossed them onto the nearest table as his mind rapidly shot through memories of his best friend.

“Let’s just say, I got a little inspiration on my trip.” Tical said as he pulled on his sneakers.

The lab technician, looked understandably confused. But he said nothing for the remainder of the night other than the cordial goodbye to Tical.

As Tical traveled up the glass elevators of the Tyr complex on his way out, he began to sort out the jumbled thoughts of his dreams. Why would he be seeing Darius now? Something must have happened back home, but what? Darius was different, but at the same time it was like Tical was back in Brooklyn with the noticeable exception that he wasn’t. Why did Darius know exactly what was going on with Tical’s life in RhyDin?

“Don’t B.S. me, T. This girl might be different. Hell, I don’t even know her. But the main one who’s changing is you. You’ve never acted like this, and I don’t know why you’ve started now. But that ain’t my primary concern. Maybe this place has softened you up, maybe she’s softened you up…”

That was the thing that stuck out most about his dreams of Darius, that little blurb of conversation. It was about Kaja. But it wasn’t the way Darius said that, it was the way that Tical envisioned him in the dream that carried the most weight. He had that look on his face, the look Tical was used to seeing him have. An all-knowing look of pure confidence that he’d never seen in anyone else his whole life, not even the most skilled duelists.

“Anyway, T. You knew it was bound to happen. She’d up and leave you for someone else. I’d be even angry if I was you that it was that guy. I mean, somebody you actually know. Somebody the whole rest of the Crew already doesn’t like. Damn. The more I think about it, the more I don’t see a difference in this girl. She left you when you started depending on her the most. When you were out trying to make it stable enough for you guys to actually settle down. Ain’t that something? You depending on a female. And then she openly slaps you and the Crew in the face every chance she gets…not only by going out with that guy, she disrespects you guys. It’s a shame. You know how family’s supposed to be, but you sit there and take it from her for the most part, because it’s her.”

Tical finally broke from his thoughts of his dreams to find himself standing outside the door of the Kitsune Stadium weight room. He had walked that far and all he had thought about the whole way was Darius giving him some kind of “dream” advice. He must really be losing it. Eventually, this whole thing would blow over he hoped. But for now, he had more training to do before the FireStar challenge…

Return to “Wrecking Crew”