Rings of Honor

Rings of Honor
Calendar   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups
  Register   Log in
G and the Dragon.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Rings of Honor Forum Index -> Golden Ivy Tavern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G
R Flair B Hart CM Punk
Coordinator
Coordinator

Alchemist, Silversmith
Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.
596,385 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: G and the Dragon. Reply with quote

Late one night, G'nort pondered over several maps of the city of Rhydin and surrounding areas. He had a quest in mind, and was beginning to implement the search. He began the search grid by centering on where the Golden Ivy Tavern once stood, strong and bright against the lonely cold of night, and guessed a general radius about it with a pattern that seemed most likely to be the path of a stray White Dragon. This resulted in a projected flight plan bearing due North, NorthEast mainly due to an abundance of farmlands and heading towards an Arctic climate.

So, having a plan of action, he prepared himself with an ample supply of consumables like cheese, dried meats, breads, etc. and also packed warmer clothes, a small tent, rope and other sensible materials one would need for an extended period away from civilization, forest travelling, and basic camping. After all, it was going to be a long time away. Added to that, he equipped himself in his old adventuring gear, consisting of dragonscale armor, a few magical trinkets he gained a while back as well as some of his newer gear. Fresh leather boots and gauntlets, a fresh wineskin, the bag of holding and a spyglass from his ship. Everything the hardy adventuring type would need in this sort of mission. He packed everything onto the War Horse he also recently purchased and affectionately named Zel, climbed into the saddle, and set off on the road North.

A few hours after travelling, over the standard hills that hold a few towns, then up and overa snowy mountain range, he comes across some ample farmland. The first time he found the type of place that may provide the sort of information he was seeking. Pulling his horse up to the first farm that seems to hold livestock, he searches around the land to see if there is anyone tending the fields.

It turns out that there was, indeed, a gentleman who was staring back at him, leaning on a wooden fence while chewing on a piece of straw. As Gnort proceeded with his horse towards the man, he noted hi appearance, which was slightly short in stature, but well worked. The man defintely saw a lot of outdoors. His belly was a bit large and beard scraggly, both contained within the dirty overalls he was wearing.

With a nod and smile, Gnort tipped his plumed hat upwards so the man could get a better look at his face. If it was one thing he was able to do, it was give a false sense of trust to strangers.

"'Evening Sir. Are you the owner of these lands?" G asked pleasantly.

"Yep. Tha'd be me. Whut're ya doin' here on mah prop'rty?" The man suspiciously questioned.

"Well sir, My name is Talanador. And I'm seeking out information on any dragon sightings. It seems there's been an outbreak of dragon attacks recently in a city several hours away. Have you seen any?"

The man nods, but doesn't return the smile. "Name's Bammers, Talen'der. And yep. Big Ol' White came through here 'bout a month'er two ago, and was back 'round these parts 'gin 'bout a week ago. I's fixin'ta hire me some old fashioned Draggin' hunters ta git'im, afore he ett a few'mah sheep'n cattle, 'gin. That thar draggin's costin' me a pretty copper, lemme say what."

Absorbing this free information, G'nort nods and shifts slightly in the saddle. "Which direction would you say he went?"

"Why? You th' unner?" Bammers asked with narrowed, even more suspicious now.

"No, sir." G stated, shaking his head. "Seems this Dragon has been hounding many others, and I was asked to bring it into custody or bring it down." G replied matter of factly.

"Welp, he headed up north, yonder" Bammers said as he pointed a dirty, thick finger in that direction. "'n if'n ya ask me, which ah knows ya haven't, Ah sez ya should just bring'im down 'n finish'im off. Might wanna grab yersef a more peep'l. Jus' one ain' gun dewt."

"I'll keep that in mind. Thank you sir." With a nod, G rode off with the farmer watching him closely, shaking his head. G was smiling as he tipped his hat back down so the brim would cover his eyes, amused with the way the farmer was speaking about His dragon and forming a plan to get him back with a minimum of fuss.

Coming to a crossroads a few miles down the road, he pulls out a notepad, checking a few facts that he'd started out with from his maps, adding what the farmer told him and guessing on a path that will take him on a steady course north, where the temperature begins getting colder and colder.

G'nort was sufficiently pleased with himself at deciding to pack winter gear as well. He knew how White Dragons thought, and how they'd act when free on their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
G
R Flair B Hart CM Punk
Coordinator
Coordinator

Alchemist, Silversmith
Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.
596,385 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stupid dragons and their stupid snow and ice. Stupid white dragons liking to hang out on the tops of frost covered mountains." Gnort mumbled and complained, climbing a long, frozen path along the side of a mountain way up North.

After the encounter with the farmer who spoke horrid common, Gnort had travelled far and wide, accumulating more information and clues as to where the missing White Dragon had gone. Using his map, he'd found that the basic pathing of the White was heading in a NorthEast direction, and the colder it became, the more he dreaded the looming mountain range he could see off in the distance that was covered in nothing but pure white snow.

It made him grumble, seeing that the final clue to the absolute location of his Dragon was to be found in a monestary hidden on the side of one of the smaller mountains. He'd left his Horse tied up in a stable in the town a few miles back, and was heading the rest of the way on foot when he came across it. Once gaining entrance, he went through about seven or eight of the monks before realizing that they'd all taken a vow of silence.

It's been a long trip, and he was fairly exhausted. But at least the monks knew exactly where the Dragon was. Writing notes and passing them back and forth, a smug looking Monk named Vandermeer had finally admitting to being the only monk who spoke, since from time to time a voice was required to deal with the outside world.

Gnort let his irritation at so much wasted time pass before finding out one would speak, so he just blurted his quest.

"I'm looking for a White Dragon named Fyrentennimar who has wandered this way. Have you, or any of your mute members seen the beast?" he deadpanned.

"If it is the beast you seek, you will find that you are seeking the beast in yourself." Vandermeer replied as if speaking wisely.

"No, I just want to know the location of the dragon..." Gnort continued.

"If you search for the location of the Dragon, you will find that the location of the search shall drag on." He replied, in a way that greatly annoyed Gnort.

"You're getting on my last nerve, Mr. Monk." Gnort answered sharply. "Please don't test my temper right now."

"Your temper is very quick, my friend. But until you learn to master your rage..."

"...your rage will become your master? That's what you were going to say. Right? Right?" G'nort shot back with his own brand of smugness.

"Not necessarily." Vandermeer stumbled. "Fine. The Dragon is up the path that's three miles west of here, third ledge, second large cave on the right. The one shaped like the mouth of a bass." he finished dejectedly.

"Thank you." Gnort said, finally glad to have the information he wanted.

And that's where we find him now. Climbing that path, cold, tired, and irritated, hugging his cloak around him to keep any heat inside and to keep the biting wind out.

"Stupid monks and their stupid sayings. 'Beast you seek will be the beast in you.' How stupid can you get? I'm looking for a specific dragon, not some metaphorical meaning of life. When I want the meaning of life, I'll bloody well go somewhere warmer to look for it!" Gnort complained, his anger also assisting in keeping him warm, and keeping his mind off the cold.

He finally reached the third ledge, nodding to himself and recounting the other ledges he passed on his way up this godsforsaken mountain of white terror. "I oughta buy the land that monestary is on and turn it into a ski lodge. That stupid talking monk can be the stupid valet. People gotta park their horses."

Then, he counted the caves. There was quite a few of them, actually, but the only clue he had was that the one he sought was the second Large cave, and had a shape of the mouth of a bass. Luckily, he knew that was a fish. So, he wandered along the ledge, judging the sizes of the numerous caves to be too small to be considered large until he found the first large one that appeared to be in the shape of a mouth. But the first one looked more like the mouth of a fighter with a broken jaw, so he discounted that one. Before long, he found the cave he was looking for. Large, fish shaped mouth, as cold inside as it was outside.

Yeah, it appeared that this was the entrance he was looking for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
G
R Flair B Hart CM Punk
Coordinator
Coordinator

Alchemist, Silversmith
596,385 Silver Nobles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He stepped in out of the wind, quietly working his way deeper inside before lighting a torch. Making his way down the long, wide and dark tunnel, G began to wonder if this, indeed, was the right cave when he began to hear something that supiciously sounded like breathing. As he moved deeper in, the breathing became louder. It was steady, occassionally punctuated with a snort, or cough, or a sucking in of breath that indicated that whoever was breathing was asleep, and close to snoring.

He frowned. Thinking it figured that he travelled all this way to find his prey asleep. And after about fifteen to twenty more minutes of travelling, it was revealed in the torchlight that the dragon was indeed here, laying on it's back, head upside-down and unconscious. Very unflattering to someone who crossed many miles, over freezing mountains and through obnoxious people to get here and feel ignored.

Gnort crouched down, staring irritable at the inverted head and trying to decide just what he should do here. On one side, he wanted the dragon to know his anger. On the other, sometimes waking a sleeping dragon can end one up in a crunchy situation.

Irritability won out.

Reaching to his side, Gnort pulled out his new, fancy looking elvish sword, affectionally named Minx, and and another small item of significant importance. The sword, still in its scabbard, he used to poke the Dragon awake.

"Hey. Hey, hey. Wake up you lazy, good for nothing lizard. Stop sleeping and pay attention!" Poking the dragon each time he said "hey."

His other hand, he was using to roll up the significant item, holding it in a tight fist as he waited for the dragon to turn over and look him in the eye.

Shortly, the dragon did grunt and open one tired eye, slowly focusing in on what appeared to be an upside down Gnort. Then, the other eye opened, both blinking for a few moments.

"Talanador?" The dragon rumbled. Obviously recognition was starting.

"Fyrentennimar." Gnort replied dryly.

"Talanador! You found me! Yay!!" Fyren cheered, rolling over and doing exactly what Gnort hoped, facing him rightside up and staring him in the eye.

"That's right. I did." And then *whap!* Gnort lightly brought down the significant object onto the dragons nose. The object being a rolled up newspaper.

Fyren blinked. "Ow! What was that..." *whap!* "For.. hey!"

"You ran away and didn't bother to come find me? What were you thinking?"

"I was thinking that I was hungry, Mr.'Cant take the time to feed the dragon as per our agreement.' What were *you* doing all this time? Oh, and did you notice that someone burned down your tavern? Funny thing that." The dragon began to ramble on about.

Gnort just rolled his eyes as he let the dragon talk. Then, he whapped him on the nose again. "Pay attention. Listen. I'm sorry about that. Things have been rough all over. I've come for you because you're causing a lot of trouble eating peoples livestock and before long, someone's going to send a killer after you. And also because I want to have you back in the new tavern I'm building. A bigger one, with a tower. And you can live there in safety again."

"Safety, aye? Was I safe when your little inn burned to the ground? Hmm?" Fyren eyed him with one eye closed.

"Obviously, since you didn't burn with the tavern." G replied.

"Ahh. Well. You do have a point there. All right, I'm sold! Where's this new Tavern?" Fyren got up and began to lumber foward on all fours for the exit.

"Well, first things first. Fly me down to the the village so we can get my horse... no you can't eat it. Fly us back to Rhydin and avoid all the farms, Please! Then, I have a little mission to discuss with you. Call it a favor." G trailed off, beginning to walk alongside Fyren after having retrieved his sword and still clutching the rolled up paper.

"Favor? What kind of favor?" Fyren asked idly.

"Oh, nothing much. I only want you to drop something off for me." G commented as they came back out to the windy mountaintop.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Rings of Honor Forum Index -> Golden Ivy Tavern All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: