G'nort's get out of jail free card

Stories of the those from House Dragoon Talanador, the Company of the Dragon and the Tavern itself.

Moderator: G

Charlie Nausikaa
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: House of Retribution in the Old Market District of RhyDin

G'nort's get out of jail free card

Post by Charlie Nausikaa »

G'nort Dragoon Talandor was not a happy man. He was long past the days of his life when his business required him to be up at the crack of dawn. He had become successful and with that enjoyed the small pleasures, such as sleeping in, that he had sacrificed to get where he was.

Therefore, being awaken at the crack of dawn to be told that one of your high-paid employees has landed herself in jail in the middle of no where and needs to be bailed out did not exactly start his morning out as he had hoped.

Stubbing his toe on a chair, a broken boot lace and the chilly morning air had not improved his mood at all. After a long morning of traveling, G'nort finally found his way to the dumpy one-horse town with the two-cell jail that Charlie Jericho had somehow managed to get herself thrown into after two straight nights of heavy drinking which ended in a wild bar brawl.

After bribing his way past the sleepy guard at the front desk, G'nort finally laid eyes on Charlie. The woman was sprawled out on a threadbare cot in a dirty cell smaller than even a respectable closet. Her coat had been bawled up and she was using it as a pillow. One arm lay over her face, hiding her eyes from the small amount of light that managed to sneak in through the small, dirty barred window high above the cot.

"You know, this gives me an idea for a great photo spread," he joked. Charlie and G'nort had a lot in common -- they were shrewd when it came to finances, had skeletons knocking around in their closets, and were both quite confident in their own good looks. However, the steadfast link between the two relied in large part to their shared desire to deflect as many uncomfortable situations or conversations as possible with humor.

His comment only elicited a pained groan from Charlie.

G'nort breezed right through. He reached a hand up to rub his chin thoughtfully. "You and Kaja could be dressed in some skimpy black and white stripped outfits. And Caed could be your hot guard."

Charlie merely grumbled incoherently as she finally pulled her arm off her face and began to push herself into a sitting position. G'nort chose to take her reply as an assent.

He fell quiet as he took in the raggedy woman who had just began to show real signs of life. She ran a hand through her tangled waves of sandy blonde hair before finally rising and stepping towards the bars to get a better look at her captain.

A cocky smile formed on her lips as she leaned forward, her hands grasping the cold metal bars. "Well, Gravy Boat, seems you've got a decision to make."

"Do I?" G'nort raised a brow curiously.

"Do you spring my hot tail out of jail or do you let me rot here so at least I'm not causing trouble?"

G'nort let out a laugh. There would be a time to lecture Charlie for her behavior over the past forty-eight hours -- threatening impressionable young callers to near-tears, goading Caedia into an argument, drinking well past the point of reason, ditching Tareth's protection, engaging a room full of grown men in combat, and then getting herself caught. Now was not that time, however.

"Well, unfortunately, you have a match in a few short hours so leaving you in here is not an option. The problem is that among all the property damage and injuries you caused last night, you also broke the arm of the sheriff's son," G'nort replied.

Charlie snorted, leaning back and crossing her arms in front of her chest. "He's lucky that's all I broke."

"Luckily for you," G'nort continued on. "I am a genius negotiator so I have managed to swindle-- er, convince his deputy that you are a wily woman and are very capable of escape--"

Charlie nodded her agreement. "Damn right, I am."

"So.." G'nort raised his voice as she interrupted. "For a nominal fee, he has decided to inform everyone that you simply escaped." With a grin of his own, G'nort produced the skeleton key he had procured from the guard and slid it into the lock.

The metal banged as he slid the door open and motioned Charlie out. "Took you long enough to get here," Charlie huffed as she stepped out after snagging her coat.

G'nort merely shook his head as he followed her out the back door of the jail. "You're welcome, Chuck."

((Written with the permission of the ever wonderful and brilliant G'nort!))

Return to “Golden Ivy Tavern”