Vampire's games

The revival of the dread Legion of Midnight takes place in RhyDin; a dark temple rising to honor Asmodeus, Grim Lord of the Nine Hells.

Moderators: Raevyx_Araya, Vitus Rustovich, Rhaine

Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Vampire's games

Post by Rhaine »

Being a High Priest does have its own disadvantages. Such as inability to select assignments most enjoyable and fitting. "Cherry picking" is impossible when you are high ranked. Either you do what you're assigned to do... or you are unworthy.

I reviewed the reports from my agents, pretending that the faint light of magical orb was any help. G'fenvass is broken up into many countries, some are not even run by humans. The one we've ..hmm, restructured... was humanoid-run, that's a big plus. But it bordered on a rather large semi-democratic country run by mixed government of humans and elf-like beings, which did accept Maedd. I cussed inside. These guys will certainly cost me enough nerves. Luckily, without Maedd's support they will be dealt with. The agent sent there reported that open hostility is gradually replaced by curiosity there... well, we might have to replace their House of Council by our puppets. Crap, I hate time-wasting ...

Another report. This time from northern neighbors. Excellent. Feudals have nothing against us, and are really curious about the impressive collisions we had with Maedd's army in the beginning. The word is spreading, and soon their country will join us. I grinned, showing off the fangs.

This was a chess game. Something I'm hardly in the mood for.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

These reports are a tiny part of information flow trying to drown me. Luckily, any graduate of Mentar University is trained to work with large amounts of data. Psilons were damn good at it, and shalafi and myself appreciated the benefits from technique. Politics and economics were never my strong point however. How I needed help! I do have logics, but I lack good experience.

After dropping a dozen of orders I walked out. I needed a walk. Crimson-eyed shadow joined me immediately after I left the building that served as my home in G'fenvass. Nae'Bris seemed to take his responsibilities of my bodyguard as seriously as possible, even knowing that I didn't need him.

And all of a sudden the contact plate buzzed. It was my brother. Finally - here.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Again I browsed through the reports. So far my agents did a perfect job with our elven-mix neighbors - not surprising for folks used to hiding from official powers the way the necromancers had to. Democracy naturally allows people to whine and complain, and it's a normal trend to blame government for any problem that comes around. Oh, and that was something new... Fancy writing, golden tint to the ink, and unnecessary patterns along the edges and in the angles of parchment.

"To: High Priestess of Asmodeus

We, the noble blood of Illyria, have no doubt that a conflict with the country under your protectorate would result in unnecessary bloodshed. Knowing your appreciation for brevity, we offer you an alliance directly and suggest first week of month of Fleuran for negotiations

Signed: Duke Kian of Ils."

Again negotiations... This time we'll eliminate threat from the north. But again I would have to get into ceremonial look, and again read and listen between the lines. Good old warfare is so much better... so much more exciting. "A good warrior has three joys in life - war, artifact blades and switching women". Was it my first teacher's saying... or something I simply heard in Ythvern when she just arrived there? First two were true. Third one... well, I'd prefer switching men. Women are too predictable. Men are... a riddle. Illogical, but with some inner pattern different from almost-complete female chaos. They have something from big cats in them.

Stop, I told myself. Only one, and only one big cat, and only one big problem. Get your mind off him, you have work to do.

I played with the thought of calling to war instead of coming to negotiations. Wonder if Nae'Bris would like to come... no, he certainly would, after that episode in the Temple he has turned into a watchdog. At least now he would do everything possible and impossible to keep me safe.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I know my bodyguard is jealous... there is no other rational explanation for Nae'Bris fuming hatred to Artemus. The first thing he asked when I told him about the trip to Illyria - if Artemus was coming. But can he not understand... despite anything I may feel about the shifter, I will always remain nothing but a temporary entertainment for him? and this naturally means that I have to keep the same attitude for Art, we asmodeans are a damn proud bunch... Artemus is an outsider, there's no reason to invite him, and why would he come in any case? I believe he would not know the difference if I send him a bioconstruct programmed to spend time with him in bed and drag him into the Tower if necessary.

My trust in my bodyguard means much more than my addiction. That is, if I wish Nae'Bris to remain relatively stable and loyal instead of rushing like a fool into situations that may harm us later.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Dressed and ready for the trip, I decided to spend an evening in RhyDin to relax. Black silk-like fabric of my dress was actually an armor - however it was soft and relatively comfortable, unlike the ugly rigid armor humans wear. Official silver and ruby rune-embroidered trim (too wide I thought, making me look ridiculously fragile) contrasted against this blackness, making it look even deeper. There won't be an idiot to bother me... and I would relax before the talks. The dhoine like short skirts, easily laid women and strong drinks. I can watch them like they watch series on holovid.

As soon as I got bored and stepped into the alley behind the inn, Nae'Bris removed invisibility he enjoyed from a minor artifact.

"You are taking risky trips, g'ierre."
"Cool it off, Nae'Bris. I'm not unarmored and helpless"
"You are waiting for the feline mortal to come? the way he arrived in the Temple and we had to tolerate his remarks?"
"No. Stop this jealousy, Nae'Bris. If I wished to see Artemus, I would have bothered to come to the Tower of Earth. I'm not desperate enough to lose dignity"

He shrugged it off. A shadow darkened his face ever since I returned from imprisonment. But what choice do I have? Nae'Bris is a professional, and one of the best blademasters in G'fenvass (even when not spelled up). I can not afford losing him.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The castle looked so... heavy. The walls were weighing heavily on her soul, their dead stone and dead space were suffocating. Asmodeans used the locals' stereotypes against them, riding horse-like beasts as opposed to being carried in a type of human-powered carriage. It took some effort not to look clumsy in the black dress on a horseback. Saelbain and Nae'Bris had no such problems. Bronze-colored baatezu looked at her.

"I know it's not your favorite, Rhaine. We'll try to get it done as soon as we can"

Dismounting was the first jovial moment of the day. Saelbain and Nae'Bris stood like two embodiments of willing aid, as she hopped off, landing like a cat, and tossed the silver-encrusted bridle into the hands of coming servant.

The human that greeted them, was dressed with disgusting pomp and lack of taste. Compared to him, asmodeans looked plain. Moving like a peacock he invitd them to follow. Was it an unintentional insult? However within half a minute from this man's arrival, another one rushed down the steps. His clothes, as Saelbain transmitted mentally, looked much better than the first one's, and the metal circlet around his head could be seen even by Rhaine's eyes.

"Welcome to Castle Ils, High Priestess," the man bowed. "I should have known better than allowing Gihan to meet my dear guests. I am Kian, and my home is your home."
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

They were placed in "Guest Chambers" as the host told them. Large windows, extremely high ceiling that allowed maximum chances for assassins. Am I getting paranoid, she asked herself. Something was weighing heavily on her, some odd feeling... Was this call for negotiations a trap?

They were offered to rest until the evening, when the other members of local High Blood council would finally arrive. It was unnecessary to mention that Rhaine and Saelbain opened a rift and the journey was hardly laborous. Dark priestess walked back and forth in her chambers, like a caged animal, marking each sharp 180-degree turn with a slap of her hand on the wall.

"You seem rather stressed, partner," the baatezu remarked, confortably resting in a large armchair.
"I have a bad feeling, Sael. But I can not place it. Something... something is brewing, but it's all too vague."
"Cyan would have been displeased to hear of one of his best Knights babbling about premonitions and vague. Try to focus on task at hand, will you?"

And he's not at ease here either, she suddenly realized. Otherwise he would not lash out on her like that... and not remind her of her Knight past. Something is up. But what?
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

After the long meeting which resulted mainly in some clarifications and a tiny bunch of compromises, Rhaine returned to her chambers and looked out of the window. The night was dying slowly. Saelbain was hunting somewhere (even a Baatezu needs sustaining) and Nae'Bris was the only shadow behind her back.

"They are trying to waste our time," she finally said. "These offers to move the central office to their capital, these negotiations of making His faith their state religion - this sounds so damn fake."

"Why would they, g-ierre?"

"I would ask you to listen to their talks and find out. Nae'Bris, you're the one I can trust with this. The reports about the situation in this country indicate that they fear barbarian invasion - please find what you can."

"At your service, High Priestess."

"Just be careful, will you?"
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The rumors of barbarian invasion were confirmed, unfortunately. Even worse. She thought of the books she's read about great masses of people moving in conquest - that happened to each and every civilization sooner or later. This was starting in G'fenvass. So locals wished to use them to defend themselves? This brought a grin on Saelbain's bronze chitinous mask.

"I think you need to remember your interviewing skills on this Kian," diabolic templar spoke calmly.
"I did think of this, Sael. In fact, Nae'Bris will bring him to these chambers at midnight"
"Good girl."
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The man woke up suddenly, from the feeling of being watched - intently, with icy cold stare fixated on him. Dark blue eyes glowed softly in the darkness. Someone lit a phosphorescent globe. It was the High Priestess herself. She sat comfortably in a deep cushioned armchair, her hands resting on dark burgundy velvet the Duke preferred for his bedroom. Black sleek dress outlined her arms, every curve of her figure, down to her hips embraced by a heavy Y-shaped belt of silver and rubies from where it flowed freely, allowing unconfined move. Wide silver-and ruby trimming of same pattern as belt wound around her wrists, and high around her throat, adding solemn look to this blackness. Thin silver circlet crossing her brow was the final accent, crossing her brow and adding something regal to her finely chiseled, cold face. It was fairly embarrassing - to be half-naked and in bed, in front of fully dressed and official looking woman, with this air of superiority around her.... She played on the contrast, and did it well.

"What... are you doing here?" he could hardly speak, his voice rasp from the sleep. "How did you get in?"

"That is irrelevant. Why did you think it was possible to fool us, mon cher?"

"I.. never tried to deceive you."

"Truly? And bargained like hell for obtaining mostly our military assistance? And thought we would not know the motivation? And tried to get away with minimum price? Most of your offers were untrue, were they not? You started with maximum, and after this wished to quote your Constitution which you mentioned but did your best to distract our attention from it?"

"You did a good background check... Priestess".

"I always do. Listen to me, Kian of Ils. Tomorrow the negotiations will continue. The price for our aid will be high, but we will accept nothing less."

"What would you have us to do?"

"As you suggested already, three large temples to Asmodeus, one in each province. However there will be additional conditions. First: freedom of study to dark mages. Second: second child in family of noble blood will belong to the Lord. We will not accept death as sacrifice as you thought in the evening. Life and loyalty are the only worthy offering to Him. Do not expect to wriggle out of this. Your second son will be the first one to begin his path in service of the Lord".
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The male seemed scared. Of what? Dark priestess looked at him, indifferent eyes scanning the messenger. Bad news?

"High Priestess, there were several occurrences of duels between newly-initiated youngsters and outsiders."

"So?.." her voice was slow, calm, soft. Let him speak. She will not assume the worst.

"In three cases the weapons used were poisoned. The toxin is now being analyzed".

"Our boys did fare well in the fights, did they not?"

"As you instructed, my lady, they have disarmed the opponents. The outsiders are now guests of the Temple".

"Good. Thank you for the news, Illad."

Good. She nodded, and dismissed the local. Rhaine never liked being feared, but she had to use this. In the end, had she enjoyed same influence in Clandestine, there would have never been Danimoth Haldane in the Commander spot. Her unusual memory (which had nothing to do with Asmodeus) seemed to scare locals even more than her ability with dark magic (which was granted by the Lord). Guests of the Temple. She had to find a way to deal with this.

Smooth silent steps have taken her to the chambers they have used as prison. A youngster was in the very first one of them, his features a clear indication of pure and noble bloodline. The boy was unarmed, and the "cell" lacked luxury, but it was still much better than an actual prison cell.

"Let me out! My father will skin you alive for putting me here," he still yelled at her, in the tone of a child having a tantrum.

Aha. There was probably more to this dueling than met the eye.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

After a walk in the "guest chambers" of the Temple (she didn't wish to call them prison cells, and there was too much comfort there for a prison), Rhaine requested information on the prisoners.

The files on younglings involved in "accidents" were hardly worthy of being called "well structured". This was irritating for Rhaine, but at least these files existed, she reminded herself, before summoning Illad. Wide sleeves of formal-looking dress slid down to her elbows as she cupped her chin while reading. Pale mist over her eyes helped to see the letters she would have otherwise tried to "read" with her fingertips.

"Yes, Illad, come in," her voice was clear as she sensed man's presence beyond a heavy wooden door. They were in the new Temple built to honor Asmodeus in VolkVorn. "Dread and Dominion, Illad."

"Dread and Dominion, High Priestess. How may I serve?"

"These young men that are guests of the Temple now - I would like complete information on their families, not on them only. These kids appear to rely on their parents in questions of getting out of their... visit."

"Gladly, High Priestess. Allow me a day for gathering complete data."

"Excellent," and vampiress again looked into the papers, showing that the conversation was over. Yet she could not resume reading. Illad left to give his agents a good impulse or motivation for hectic activity, guards near the entrance to security level changed - and Rhaine remained frozen, looking into nowhere.

The problem was not with these boys, she thought. All three of them started referring to their fathers kicking the dust out of her as soon as she appeared. Were these fights a coincidence? Or ... more? Or even worse?... She played with the thought of organized plot against the Temple.

It would be a welcome distraction at least.

Return to “Dawn of Midnight”