The Plot Thickens

Stories of the those from House Dragoon Talanador, the Company of the Dragon and the Tavern itself.

Moderator: G

Nyaranyara
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Plot Thickens

Post by Nyaranyara »

In the bowels of the Northern Lands there is an underground domain called Havelok. It is within this domain that the Drow Elves of Urnst dwell, the main residences laying well beneath the Mardok Mountain Range with tunnels that lead to the frozen tundra of the surface world.

In the deepest, darkest reaches is where Queen Nyaranyara Cho'danne, Matron Mother of the First House and reigning dictator over the people of Havelok, resides in her the location of the Dark Palace. In the lowest dungeon the necromancer is hovering over her prized Basin of Present Events, one dark, slender finger twirling through the murky waters as they reveal the surface world.

Her interest is relatively indifferent as images pass through the basin. A murder in a dark alley, a lovers embrace, a political scandal, twins being born to an unwed mother. She smirks slightly as each one passes.

Continuing to keep her gaze upon the images within the basin, she speaks quietly.

"It is a wonder, Tira, that these lesser beings continue to survive despite their glaring weaknesses. Their emotions cause them to make foul judgments and leave them accessible for exploitation."

In one corner of the chamber there was a single nod. The Shadow Knight, Tira Ma'Chanta, knew there was no need to respond to what obviously did not require one. What Nyara uttered was no more than state what she considered to be fact. To contradict that in any way could mean severe punishment, or worse. The matron mothers word was law, for better or for worse. Thankfully, it mattered not in this case, considering Tira had a similar belief+.

"Come, Tira. Gaze upon this one." She beckoned the Shadow Knight over with another finger, still not shifting her gaze from the basin.

Tira advanced from her position and what little light there was from the candles within the chamber began reflecting off her bright steel armor. Armor so polished that it resembled pure silver. One hand rested on the pommel of her longsword, the other reaching up to remove the skull shaped barbute from her head, allowing long, silvery white hair to fall free as she brought her gaze onto the images she was to see.

"The puppet master in 'New Canon' is absolutely unaware the powers I have called upon are the cause of his marionettes live, nor does the flesh golem that those ridiculous Gnomes animated understand that it is due to my power that he is now sentient." Nyara soft laugh resonated within the chambers with a chilling sensation, shifting her finger once more through the magical waters.

She then brought her eyes up to the Shadow Knight, recognizing that perhaps the woman looked as though she had something she wished to discuss. "You have something to say?" More statement than pleasant offer of conversation.

Keeping her head bowed respectfully and without meeting the gaze of her Queen, Tira's tone was soft when she spoke.

"Matron Mother. There have been only whispers of these stories you reveal. I know very little of details, but I have heard that the pink skins world above is currently plagued with dark magics that seem to cause those who perform acts of significant evil to create what can best be described as restricted territories around them. This flesh golem you have mentioned is one of those rumors of which I have information. Are saying that the cause of these.. pocket domains is a result of your impressive power?"
Last edited by Nyaranyara on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nyaranyara
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Nyaranyara »

Nyaranyara replied with a simple, slow nod "That is, indeed, what I am saying. There are other creatures of the night who are going to or have already created their own lands. When enough are gathered, we shall band together under my control and wage war to take back that which is ours by right. Our lands." Nyara gave the appearance of someone who was enjoying her own plan immensely. "The puny Human and Elven presence on this Urnst shall soon cease to exist!"

Tira then nodded, correctly judging the Mother as needing to be agreed with, however.. "Matron Mother, as the General of your armies, it is my sworn duty to Lloth and to you that I ensure all precautions are taken in order to guarantee your victory. I have neither the desire nor inclination to fail either Lloth or you, my Queen."

Dark eyes narrowed slightly, but placated by the words, Nyara nodded once. "You may speak."

Shifting her weight from one foot to the other, Tira spoke. "If our intelligence is accurate, and it is an act of great evil that causes these domains to exist and thus become trapped within their borders, could not launching an offensive upon the lesser races during these times be considered an act of great evil? Logically, would this not then cause you to be punished due to it being upon your orders that we attack? My Queen, I seek only to ensure your glory, your victory, and desire that our house rule with absolute power. Therefore, I must also take precautions to ensure your safety."

Tira became silent, looking down at the dungeon floor and awaiting the Queens expected wrath.

"Do you mean to insinuate that I have no control over the powers which I summoned? Do you imply that those who control our land are beyond my reach? Do you dare believe that I am ill prepared to counter the effect my powers have upon those capable of great evil?" This was the response to the knight, with Nyara's icy glare over the basin directed at her general.

"Absolutely not, my Queen. That is not what I suggest whatsoever. My primary concern is the glory of the house. I always seek the quickest and least costly route to victory and as appointed leader of your glorious legions, I must take into consideration all possibilities, however unlikely they may be, for both good or ill." Tira quietly responded, daring to raise her gaze toward the Matron Mother.

Nyara continued to glower to her shadow knight, considering her words. Finally, she nodded. "Very well. I find your explanation and your loyalty to my satisfaction. You would do well to remember that I am Lloth's chosen and I am no fool. It was she that brought to me the way to summon the dark powers that have trapped those in Talanador's land. It is that power that will allow me to be the architect of his downfall, and no longer shall we reside under the mountains." Punctuated with a clenched fist that was slammed down on the edge of the basin.

Nyaranyara then began to laugh as she returned to staring within the basin. She had been correct in assuming that it was Lloth who had chosen her to interact with these dark powers, and was correct in saying it was because of her that other creatures were becoming trapped due to her summons. However, she was not entirely correct in assuming that the dark powers were at all under her control.

Such mistakes can prove costly.

Return to “Golden Ivy Tavern”