Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Temhota

The lights of the city had grown brighter beyond proportion. Temhota’s senses tensed with apprehension. His movements had to be well concealed within the inner workings of kine. The best alternative was to use alleys, of course. Few ventured astray, the tales of those that braved the dark decorated page after page of tabloids.

Finding suitable concealment, Temhota assimilated with the darkness, Silent and motionless for delectable flesh, like a tactful spider with his web woven tightly. Whoever happened across this detour would be madly misfortunate.

All lower walks of humanity, the drug dealers, johns and prostitutes tingled on strands, eliciting salivation, but nothing more. Somewhere amongst the refuse there shined a pixie stick. In his vigil a comment about the deterioration of his city would be made.

"So many unwanted, flesh turned away... Why?" Rhydin was a fickle city, leaping from one favor to another, all upon the whim of politics. "So this is what we come to face. Then a war they have."

The ideal ambush locale abandoned the kine ventured amongst the mortal. His jaws clenched with undeniable hunger. Yet, Temhota remained stoic.

The city wide pulse he felt in every fiber. From the Inn to countryside each heart had its own signature. Fighting the impulse he acknowledged Jarvis.

"Good evening, Ghoul. My confusion has led you to insight?"

"Now is a peculiar time, sire. Inner struggles amongst household names, alliances are strained and strengthened." Toxic lips stretched into a smile.

"And our city is without direction for another year. Why do you complain? We are continuously placed aside, allowing free reign."

"Not to mention the influx of hunter activity. Nor the Brothers. They know of your prowls. Lucien and Gabriel. I've heard of them." Jarvis quoted while keeping sharp of their surroundings.

"Yes, the brothers Light and Dark. One strength leads to a greater weakness. Light succumbs to darkness. By my own zealousness the Brother of Light and his Fae kind have become aware of my activity. Lucien, is his name, He knows you too. You and I will have to conduct our business with caution. Carry this message to the witch.”

A bow from the mortal and he quickly vacated Temhota's hunting grounds. Speaking of hunting grounds, the kindred plucked the strings of his web in anticipation. As much as the idea of a stalking disinterested him, there was little choice in the late hours. Late night lovebirds always provided a delectable meal.

Bloodied halos focused in on the young couple he snarled at the sickening romantics. "Which one first?"

Jarvis, maintaining his role, spoke wise words. "Disable the male. Feed from her. We'll speak again my Lord."
This advice went under diligent scrutiny.

"There are others..." The young man spoke over shoulder. "Plenty of others."

"Good answer." Temhota smiled while sliding back into concealment. Silent cues conveyed up the walk through mindless bodies.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Cake at the Red Dragon Inn

While Topaz didn’t particularly mind the weather, winter rarely offered days nice enough for her to feel comfortable to take her daughter out of the palazzo for outdoor activities. And social graces could only be learned by spending time among people. At least Topaz was convinced of that. So when February offered yet another cold and drab afternoon, she decided that it was time for Sylviana to visit the famous Red Dragon Inn.

At the entrance Sylviana insisted on being allowed to walk in rather than being carried in and Topaz set her on her feet, holding her hand. Slowly - little legs don't walk fast - they made their way inside and across the common room, aiming for a table. The inn was nearly empty of customers at this hour but a tender stood behind the bar just the same.

“Hello.” Topaz called out a greeting toward the bar. “May we please have hot cocoa, coffee and a piece of cake?”

“Can ya make the cake?" The bar tender asked the pixie as he turned to prepare a mug of hot chocolate.

”Here we are.” Topaz spotted Soerl at one of the other tables and gave him a wave before she turned to Sylviana again. “That was a fine bit of walking you did. Are you ready for hot chocolate and cake?” With those words Topaz picked up the little girl and sat down in a chair, setting the girl into her lap. Sylviana’s gaze darted around with curiosity while her little hands patted the table.

”It looks like we have to go pick up our order.” The bartender had set the mugs and cake on the counter, but not inclined to carry the order over to their table. So Topaz stood up again, carrying Sylviana with her to the bar. While little could happen, Topaz was unwilling to leave Sylviana alone at the table for even a moment.

“I could use a few more hands.” Topaz chuckled softly as she tried to work out a way to carry the two cups and plate and a toddler at the same time. She set the plate on top of the mug, not certain that would work. ”It looks like it'll be two trips, Sylviana.”

Soerl smiled to himself, reminded of his own daughter as he watched Topaz and the girl. He left the water at his booth and headed over to the pair.

“Would you like some assistance?” He offered, already reaching for cup and plate.

"I'm terribly sorry but I've got something very important going on." The bartender turned to Topaz at the same time and then turned again to the woman he was conversing with. "Chantra, will you give me just a second to help this lady out? I don't want that kid getting burned."

”Oh yes, Soerl, if you'd be so kind. That would be very welcome.” Topaz smiled with relief at his offer and ten turned to the bartender.

“Thank you, I think we have it covered now.” With Soerl's assistance it suddenly was easy to get everything to the table in just one trip.

“As you may have guessed already, it's Sylviana's first outing to the Inn.” Topaz sat down again with Sylviana in her lap. “Would you care to join us? I promise she will not make a disgusting mess of the cake.”

“She's a lovely girl, Topaz.” The minstrel smiled a bit and placed everything down on the table rather carefully. “I could for a bit, I imagine.”

”Thank you.” Topaz accepted the compliment with a smile, proud of her daughter, while Sylviana baby-talked happily at Soerl.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Cake first or chocolate?” Cake seemed to be more interesting to Sylviana at the moment, to judge by what the little girl was trying to reach.

”How have you and Lucien been?” Soerl grinned as he sat down and watched Sylviana.

”We're doing just fine. How have you been, Soerl? It's been ages since I saw you on the isle.” She took the fork and severed a little moth size piece from the cake with it, then brought the little piece to Sylviana's mouth.

“I've been all right. Rather busy, unfortunately. I didn't realize how much work being a father is.” He admitted with a shrug. Topaz’s girl seemed to enjoy the experience of cake in her mouth. Already her little hands directed her mother's arm to get more cake on the fork.

“All right, you'll get more.” Topaz chuckled softly and briefly glanced up to Soerl before she gave Sylviana another mouth full of cake. “Right, you found your wife and child again. How's that working out?”

”Better than I thought.” Soerl nodded as if he just now came to that conclusion.

“I'm glad to hear that, and am glad to know you care. There are quite a few men around who wouldn't have and don't.” She shook her head slightly at 'those men'. Zara’s husband appeared to be one of them and Topaz felt for their daughter.

“I don't see how someone could ignore their own child, but I know you're right. I've seen it myself, after all.” Soerl frowned, agreeing with her.

”Would you belief it, there are some that ignore their family for weeks on end? Incomprehensible to me. Even Gabriel likes spending time with his little niece, and he doesn't have any feelings whatsoever.” Topaz maneuvered another piece of cake into Sylviana.

”I'd have to agree.” Soerl folded his arms over his chest. “Some people really have no sense of responsibility.”

”How old is your little one?” Topaz found the time to get a sip of coffee. Of course, that gave Sylviana ideas and the girl promptly tried to get that cup to make its way to her lips, too. “No, no coffee for you, little lady. We have hot chocolate for you.” Topaz exchanged one cup for the other and after checking that it was not too hot, let the girl take a few sips.

“She'll be six this coming month.” Soerl chuckled a bit, still watching the little girl.

“Oh, that old already. That must be quite difficult getting used to, not having been there for the years in-between, and immensely rewarding. Does she still like tea parties?”

“She does, yes.” Soerl admitted with a nod and a chuckle while Sylviana prompted her mother to resume the cake feeding. “She likes me to be present for them for some reason.”

“Isn't that just the most fun?” Though it was even more fun to watch others get drawn into Sylviana’s games. “Lucien and Gabriel get to be guests and tables and what not all the time. Sylviana lets me be the fairy queen sometimes. Don’t you?” To which Sylviana nodded her little head.

”More for her, I think, but if it pleases her, I've no issue with it.” Soerl grinned.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Hah, you just wont admit to enjoying tea parties with empty little cups and week old cookies and making conversation with dolls and other toys in public.”

”No sensible man would admit to anything of the sort, Topaz.” The minstrel grinned.

“No, probably not.” Topaz grinned back. “Is that Tass over there? It sounds like Tass, it looks like Tass, but there were no attack kisses. Did he actually get married to the ex-Governor?”

It likely wouldn’t matter if Tass had gotten married, he’d still attack with kisses. But he was currently paying attention to the girl in his arms and appeared unaware of what was going on around him.

“Icky things, huh? We'll be sure to make it smell like roses then.” The Tass look-alike snickered a response to the girl.

”That girl he's with doesn't look at all like Kitty, though.” Nor did the girl look like Kitty offspring. Topaz shrugged and turned her attention back to Sylviana and Soerl. “Must not be Tass.”

“I need to be off, Topaz, or I'll be late for Lyric's music lesson. She'd be rather disappointed.” Soerl excused himself a few moments later.

“You had better not be late then.” Topaz nodded. “Little ones are not forgiving about broken promises and their little hearts break easy.”

”That they do. Take care, Topaz. Have a pleasant afternoon.” The minstrel offered another smile and then headed for the front door.

Sylviana lifted a little hand to wave. 'Bye bye. Ada,' came out of her little mouth clear enough.

“Now it's just us again.” Topaz fed the last bit of cake to the little girl.

Tass smiled and looked around, and now he found himself more crowded - at least more so than he was previously - and among the small crowd was Topaz! He sent a kiss off to tackle her, and her little girl.

”Argh!” The fairy was not prepared for an attack with such delay. Apparently, neither was Lucien, but the thunder rolling outside was loud enough. So it was Tass after all!

“Hey Hun. How you doin’?” Tass blew a kiss to the thunder outside with a grin.

“Hello there, old man.” Topaz grinned back. “I am well. But you live dangerously. One of these days you'll really manage to get Lucien angry.”

“I look forward to the day.” Tass laughed and winked. Sylviana, a belly full of cake, resumed to study everything and everyone with wide open eyes.

“That should be quite a show. What happened to Kitty? I heard rumors, you know.”

“Rumors, what rumors?” The girl in Tass’ lap sent out a black tentacle to prod him in the face. “Apparently I've missed a lot this past weekend.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Something about a wedding I never got an invitation to.” The rumors regarding the wedding were more than just a week old. Sylviana made several attempts to get a hold of that interesting tentacle that was poking Tass, never mind that it was way out of reach.

“None were sent yet, so if you didn't get one, neither did I.” Tass looked to Topaz and winked. Then the girl in his arm demanded his attention again.

Rena came in then and after she received a cup of tea came over and claimed a seat at Topaz’s table.

“Hello, Sylviana.” She reached into her pocket and pulled out a stuff toy, handing it to her.

"Eena." Sylviana waved both her little arms at Rena and then grabbed a hold of the toy and, to Rena’s delight, proceeded to give her new toy a thorough inspection.

“Good afternoon, Rena. Do have a seat.” Topaz grinned. “I had no idea everyone came here in the afternoons now. It's been a while since I got to do that. Sylvy got to enjoy her first piece of cake here today.” To which the girl had a lengthy comment in baby-talk.

”Why thank you.” Rena grinned back. “It's hit or miss. Sometimes it's rather empty.”

“Forgive me. I've been, well, rude.” Tass smiled to them and to Jewel. “Topaz, Rena, Jewell, this is, ugh…” He blinked and looked to the girl in his arms, waiting for her to supply the name. It was just like the old man to take one in without knowing their name. There likely was more to the story.

"I have no name. My old name... I can't remember it very well. It began with R or E, I think. I’m not sure, Nya..." The girl tilted her head, then placed a finger on her lips, "I don't know. Mrs. Egorwrath calls me a lot of things, Sweetie, Patchy. She called me Lucy once or twice..." She finished with a shrug.

”Lucy is a very nice name.” Topaz acknowledged the introduction. “This little lady here is Sylviana and I'm Topaz.”

Sylviana, done with the thorough inspection and bonding phase with the new toy now held the stuffed animal to her nearly empty cup.

”Aww! Cute!” Lucy looked down at Sylviana and then moved her hands to rest on top of Tass’ head.

"Cute." Sylviana turned a smile to Lucy and nodded before she returned to her play.

“Do you want to go play with her?” Tass offered to Lucy. Sylviana, well acquainted with the word ‘play’, turned toward Lucy again and waved the stuffed animal in an inviting manner.

“Play? Oh, ugh, I don't think that's a good idea." Lucy smiled lightly. "I don't like playing, anyhow. My legs don't work well." Her invitation snubbed by the other girl, Sylviana returned to playing by herself.

“Rena luv 'ow are ye today?” A young man called over from near the bar, adding a wink once Rena turned her head toward the greeting. Rena promptly slid a hand into her pocket and found a small pebble to fling at the man with the smiling face, just before Jewel planted herself before the man, obstructing the line of sight.

”OH yeah, you send Valentine greetings to everyone but me.” Rena replied to the greeting with pretend huffing.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”I was wondering who this Rob person was that plastered the Oracle with greetings.” Topaz guessed the man’s identity with a grin.

“That's him.” Rena confirmed.

”Hmm.” Topaz looked him over with a critical eye once Jewel had moved on.” He doesn't hold a candle a Lucien, of course, but isn’t entirely horrible to look at.”

”Uh oh.” Rena had spotted Kitty walking into the common room and waved to her. Kitty was waving, too, but without really recognizing anyone in particular. Her focus was rather obviously on getting a cup of coffee and then consuming it.

”Rena Rena Rena, I were merely savin' it fer ye tae give tae ye in person.” Rob started to walk toward Rena.

”Don't worry, Rena, I didn't get one either. I just get nasty looks.” Jewel commented with a grin.

”I was just kidding.” Rena gave Robert a glare that would have stopped a lesser man in his tracks and then offered a smile to Jewel.

”It is getting a bit crowded. Thank you for bringing Sylviana something to play with.” Topaz was torn between getting Sylviana out of the Inn before more people crowded in and seeing what this cavalier would do next.

”So wha', ye dun wan' it now Rena?” Robert was already digging in his pockets for the Valentine greeting.

”It's a bit later than the holiday Robert. Save it for next year.”

”He’ll lose it by then.” Topaz chuckled at Rena’s advice.

“Robert, I keep tellin' you to keep your hands outta your pants in public.” Jewel had some advice for the young man, too, just as he pulled out a wrinkled, semi moist, and oddly warm valentine card.

“'ere ye be luv. One valentine from me tae ye.” He presented the card to Rena.

”Uh, no thanks. Keep it till next year.” Rena shook her head, refusing to take the offering.

Robert gave a tortured sigh and read to her from the card. “Roses be red, violets be blue, le's rent us a room and go upstairs an'...” He seemed to have difficulties making out the next word and squinted at the card.

Jewel was happy to help out and supplied the missing word, earning herself a glare from Robert. “I was being helpful.” Jewel frowned and grumbled into her coffee mug.

”It may just be time to get Sylviana out of here and home.” Topaz thought it wise to leave before anything else could happen. “I'll see yu this evening, Rena, our last Tuesday evening with the Isle where it's at now. The goblins even have cake left from yesterday too.”

”I'll see you tonight.” Rena nodded.

”Oh is tha' wha' we are doin' fer our date tonight? Goin' tae the island tae 'ave cake wit' the goblins?” Robert was quick to jump on Rena’s suggestion.

“Until then.” Topaz rose with the girl in her arms.

"Bye bye, ada Eena." Sylviana waved a little hand.

”I'm going to the Isle to duel, and it won't be a date with you.” Rena shot a reply to Robert before she waved back. “Good afternoon, little one.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Masked Ball

Lucien and Topaz faded into the visible spectrum amidst the crowd in the great hall, Lucien with a soft groan. He abhorred crowds and again wondered how exactly Topaz had gotten him to agree that they should go to the Masked Ball.

Lucien looked splendid in a severe black and white tuxedo, the ruby headed cane in one hand, and his mate Topaz on the other arm. His only concession to color was the ruby. The midnight blue gown Lucien had thought up for her gently hugged her curves and flared into a full length skirt. Soft slippers of the same color encased her feet and a star shaped bloom only a few shades lighter in color decorated her silver-blond hair.

“They’re playing a waltz, too, no less.” Topaz gave Lucien a bright smile. “Just ignore all the people.”

“Ignore them? Easier said than done.” He whispered quietly as he moved them through the crowd, assuring that no one touched either of them using his aura to keep them well clear of contact.. Topaz waved to a few people she recognized despite their wearing masks. But most of the people here were strangers to her.

“Thank you for indulging me. Oh look, aren't they just the merriest sight?” Topaz studied the colorful gowns and elaborate masks of the couples whirling on the dance floor with an excited giggle. “Dancing first?”

”If it pleases you.” Lucien moved toward the dance floor and secured a space around them as Topaz stepped into his arms. Her steps matched his perfectly as he swept her into the olde world waltz. One thing Lucien discovered that he did enjoy was dancing with Topaz. Although truth to tell, he preferred it to be just the two of them and not in the middle of a crowd.

”It must be ages since we got to do this among people.” While dancing in utter privacy over a frozen lake or in the middle of desert had its perks, every now and then Topaz missed the air of joy that could only be found among large groups of people all engaged in having fun.

”Who would you like to see first?” He glanced around the assembled people, sensing those they knew, and learning the scent of those they did not know.

”Besides you, you mean?” She gave him a sassy wink. “I think I'd like to say ‘Hello’ to Rena.”

“You are stuck with me.” His black velvet laughter was seductive.

”I would hope so.” She smiled back, enjoying the movement of the dance and when he pulled her close for a moment she used to opportunity to place a quick kiss onto his lips.

“Have you named the puppy yet?” Lucien asked a few turns later. Despite the croweded room, no one had yet so much as brushed against either of them.

”No. Sylviana seems to call him Bubba, though. I think it's her version of ‘puppy’.” She had been scrutinizing a wooden hawk mask whose wearer was dancing nearby and now returned her gaze to Lucien. “He may already be stuck with that name.”

Lucien gave a dark laugh. “Do you think Bubba is appropriate for a hound of such regal blood lines?” The music changed from waltz to tango and they altered their steps without any hesitation. His black eyes held hers as the sensual dance claimed them.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”No.” Topaz shook her head, grinning. “He should have a more fitting name. Do you have an idea for a name?”

Lucien did not answer right away, but swept her off to the side, away from the lighted dance floor and into the enhanced shadows. Topaz greeted his direction with a smile, but then a disturbance reached her through her shielding and her smile froze.

”Do you sense anything?” She looked up into his eyes. When her gaze met his the disturbance was forgotten and she whispered softly, “You have a way of finding quiet spots in the most crowded places.”

Lucien paused and sent his sense flaring into the night. ”It is not so difficult.” He held her close in the deep shadowing while he sought the source of her disquiet.

”Perhaps I was just being a little jumpy.” With her shielding firmly in place, she could not be sure what had alarmed her. She regretted having directed Lucien’s attention away from merely enjoying himself.

”Perhaps.” He glanced around the room. There was someone out there with intentions toward them, but the intentions were not immediately threatening.

Temhota looked and carried with him an air of sophistication. A white collar and black tie accompanied his black suit attire. Red rimmed halos adjusted to a supple earthy green and ashen flesh shifted to merely pale, making him appear as human as possible. Feeding upon the jovial atmosphere his inhibitions were checked at the door. Cool strides took him toward the reclusive couple.

"Would the lady like to dance?" His question was directed at Topaz and Lucien's fangs lengthened almost instantly.

Topaz paled at the sound of the voice. She recognized it immediately and turned her face toward it. Once again the Vampyre had sought them out in a crowd.

”My dance card is filled for the evening.” She replied, not bothering to keep her voice friendly.

“There are females enough here.” Lucien bared his fangs at Temhota. Lucien would not initiate violence in a gathering this large, but if Temhote pushed, he would have no compunction about sending the vampire to his maker.

"Then you and I might dance, Lucien?" Temhota frowned.

“We will dance, but not in such a place.” Lucien pulled Topaz close beside him, and then took a half step forward, moving to shield her from the undead one.

"Both of you! Where's your spirit? We've all come to celebrate... whatever this is. There's no reason to hold a grudge.” Temhota chastised them and their lack of warm greeting.

”My dance card being filled has nothing to do with any grudges.” Topaz glanced from Lucien to Temhota and back. Being reminded of her manners by a vampyre that had meant to do them harm only a few days before did not sit so well with her.

"You can't squeeze me in Faerie?" Temhota's smile attempted to be inviting.

”No.” She’d not squeeze him in anywhere and she’d definitely not permit to put his arms around her as would be required for a dance. Nor was this the place or time for a dance of swords.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Lucien snarled low at the kindred.

"One slow dance, that's all I'm after." Temhota’s elongated fangs remained concealed behind a thin-lipped smile. "You are looking marvelous I must say. Your daughter is how old now? One year?"

Lucien stiffened as the vampire brought up their daughter. Vampires were only interested in causing pain and suffering. This was a veiled threat, and Lucien was hard pressed not to rip the vampire's heart out where he stood.

”Thank you. You too seem to have recovered from your little venture into the light. Yes, she is just about that old.” Topaz saw no reason to give him their daughter’s day of birth.

"One could never tell you're a proud mother and father." He had a brief smile for Lucien and Topaz. "That. We all have duties to attend to. You being diligent parents. I being a... We'll say I'm just being."

”Our girl is well taken care of and protected.” Topaz replied evenly yet watchful. What might Temhota be threatening this time?

"Protected she should be. A childe with Carpathian father and Fae mother, that is some miracle you two managed." He sipped from the snifter in his hand, eyeing for a drink in Topaz's or Lucien's hand. "I'd toast you, but you're proving better parents than I anticipated. Abolished alcohol?"

“Aye, she is a miracle.” With a glance to the glass, she added, “We were dancing.”

"If your significant other has no qualms with an innocent once around the yard, I'd much like to dance." Temhota regarded Lucien with a questioning glare.

Lucien held Temhota’s gaze for a long moment, leaving no doubt whatsoever that he indeed had qualms. Topaz did not appear inclined to accept Temhota’s request either.

“I believe we have reached the end of our time together away from our child.” Though she spoke quietly and to Lucien, it was for Temhota’s benefit. She then turned to Temhota again. “I am certain you will excuse us, as you are so understanding of parental duties.”

"So be it." Temhota bowed away from the Couple of Light. "Oh. If you see Gabriel, please inform him I'd like to arrange a meeting. Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Datrazanov. And to Sylviana."
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

Lucien had been planning for Sylviana's first birthday for some time. He hoped fervently that Topaz had not picked up on his intentions as he met up with Ariel. Together, brother and sister dissolved into mist and streamed across the night skies toward the northern reaches of Rhydin.

Rainbow crystals slid across the starlit sky, but only the creatures of the forests below were witness as the two crossed the wilderness with nary a light beneath them. The Gem Singer had come. It was to meet him that the two went in such haste.

Deep within the roots of the northern ranges he'd gone seeking a special gem just for Sylviana. Something she would keep for the rest of her very long life. Something that would forever be hers and hers alone. For a gem obtained thusly would suffer no other master.

Bryce was far into the roots of the mountains when they arrived. His song haunting and beautiful echoed in the deepest places. Ariel paused to simply listen. The artist in her swept up in the magic of his call.

Lucien knew that a gem singer was reputed to be able to cast a spell over even a Carpathian, but as he watched his sister fall under bewitchment, he got to see for the first time the reality of this magic, and he wondered anew at the power a Carpathian held in his hands. Their gifts were many and varied beyond reckoning.

He reached for Ariel's arm, "come, we must get back before we are missed."

She gave a start at his touch before moving into the bowels of the mountains in search of Bryce.
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

Ariel led the way toward the source of the singing. Ever deeper into the roots of the mountains they went. As they drew closer, the power in the music permeated their bodies and minds. Ariel's voice rose in harmony to the compelling melody Bryce wove.

Lucien's soul felt the magic as they finally reached the Gem Singer.

Bryce was completely consumed by the magic he wove as he coaxed the gem from the heart of the mountain. When the melody ceased, resting in Bryce's palm was a perfect blue diamond.

Lucien studied the gem where it rested against Bryce's skin. It was the exact shade of Sylviana's eyes. Once it was set in one of Ariel’s masterpieces, it would be both a talisman and a source of Carpathian magic. It was well and truly hers and hers alone.

Ariel held out her hand, palm up and Bryce let the gem slip from his hand into hers. She would make the setting to hold it. Ariel's fingers curled gently around the flawless stone, and she felt the echoes of magic still thrumming through the perfect matrix. With a smile, she leaned close to Bryce and kissed his cheek before she dissolved into mist and was gone.

Lucien remained behind. Bryce would need to rest before he could return to his work in the dessert.

Lucien would see to it that his rest was undisturbed.
Ariel Datrazanov
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Ariel Datrazanov »

Ariel returned to her shop just before sunrise. The perfect blue diamond had settled into a soothing hum from the magic that had called it forth.

As she solidified within the sanctuary of her work area, she could already see the setting for this stone. White gold filligree worked into a yellow gold branching background. It would appear as a willow tree gently swaying in a breeze with the Carpathian safeguards worked into the white gold filligree.

The lethargy of daybreak stole over her, but the concept for the setting kept her from seeking the ground. It wove its images through her thoughts and she could not pause for sleep. Not yet. She would work the yellow gold before succumbing to the irresistable draw of the earth.

When the sleep of her kind could no longer be resisted, a yellow gold pendant of indescribable grace lay upon her table. The next rising would see the white gold filligree, and finally the setting prongs for the blue diamond.

The shop remained silent as a tomb as the sun traversed the skies above RhyDin.
Ariel Datrazanov
Ariel Datrazanov
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ariel rose as the sun touched the horizon. Tonight she would weave the Carpathian magic into the filigree that would decorate the golden tree. It was demanding work, and she wanted it to be one of her best efforts. She decided to keep the shop closed for the evening so she would not be disturbed while she worked.

Just as she moved toward the door to place a closed sign and seal the doors, she was startled to see Dominik standing just beyond the thresh hold of her shop. "I vould offer to assist, if you vill have me."

She was startled by his offer. It had been centuries since Carpathians and Dragonseekers had worked together on anything. Too many stories of treachery and deceit, of madness and murder had driven the Dragonseekers to the far corners of the land, and they were now virtually extinct. Ariel studied Dominik a heart-stopping moment before opening the door and bidding him enter across the thresh hold. She knew the risk. But Dominik could add so much more to the setting as a partner than she could alone. "I accept your offer Dominik of the Dragonseekers."

The pair retreated to the far end of the shop, each silent in their preparation for what was about to be wrought.

The blue diamond rested on the work area upon an ivory satin cloth. The heart of the gem still pulsed with the magic of the Gem Singer's craft. Unless the diamond were fractured, so would it always hum with the power that called it forth.

Dominik held his hand just above the glittering blue stone. He felt the magic imbued within and closed his unique metallic green eyes, focusing on the song of the stone, studying it's music, because without such understanding, he would only diminish the stone's power. He had grown to respect the twin Carpathian's and that meant he would seek only to add to the diamond that which enhanced.

Ariel lit several scented candles with the wave of her hand, then crushed herbs from Auriga. These would be burned within the candle's flames to seal the stone's power once they were finished. And it would be a very long night of work, for the stone would demand everything each had to offer. She felt it as she laid her hand atop Dominik's above the stone.

Exchanging a glance, Ariel began a chant of power, and so the crafting began....
Ariel Datrazanov
Ariel Datrazanov
Adventurer
Adventurer

Dominik and Ariel worked through the night incorporating as much Carpathian magic and Dragonseeker sorcery into the gem as they could. The carbon matrix of the diamond held the secrets of the Carpathian people, and the protections they could instill for the child.

The blackness of night began to make way for the pale gray of dawn as Ariel finished the last chant. Dominik’s rich baritone hung in the air as Ariel’s legs gave out. She swayed and slid down into a chair. “We did it,” she said quietly.

Dominik’s metallic green eyes showed how much it had cost him too as he simply nodded to her.

The blue gem almost glowed where it lay on a bed of palest blue silk. The setting around it was flawlessly worked, and at first glance, the branches of the willow at times seemed to sway and beckon. It was a unique piece, and as Ariel made an effort to regain her feet, she thought perhaps it was the best work she had ever done. And that had been accomplished with one of the feared Dragonseekers at her side.

Dominik offered his arm despite his weariness, “We must feed before the sun rises too far.”

She nodded, and the pair walked slowly into the morning streets to find a meal.
Ariel Datrazanov
Tormay Eludes
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Babysitting

Post by Tormay Eludes »

“Alright Sylvy, what are we going to do today?”

Tormay looked down at his little sister, as she giggled at him. He had been convinced to baby sit her again, as her usual caretaker, Gabriel, was still sick. Tormay decided it couldn’t be all that difficult, and that it would be another good opportunity to spoil her, which he loved to do.

“Bear?” Sylviana asked, almost irresistibly cute.

“I don’t think I should give you anymore of those, you have enough for a marching band at this point. Besides, mum said to give you less gifts. She says it is because I am spoiling you, I think it is because your running out of room for all of them.” Tormay grinned at this, imaging the stuffed animals falling out of closets to ‘attack’ anyone foolish enough to want to store a coat.

“Hey, hey! No, don’t try that pouting thing with me. It always works!” He felt himself giving into ‘The Look’ as he thought of it. Sylviana just looked up at him with the cute pout that she had practiced on Tormay before many times. He knew he would have to think of something quick if he were to get out of this without giving Sylvy another stuffed bear.

“I really don’t want mum to get on to me anymore about this. Or worse yet, what your father found out?” He shivered at the thought of Lucien getting upset at him over another bear.

“Bear, please?”

“We already went over this, I can’t give you another one.”

“Bear?”

“How about we try to do something else, shall we?”

“Bear.” She said with finality.

Knowing this wasn’t to end well, Tormay began to panic. He certainly didn’t want to deal with a tantrum, not that Sylvy was known for them. He just wouldn’t have any idea of what to do. Just as he was about to give in and produce yet another bear, inspiration hit him.

“I have a better idea, Sylvy. You ever see a dragon before?”

“Dagrin?” She asked with wide eyes.

“Dragon, Sylvy. Dragon?”

“Dagon?”

“Close enough for now, we will work on it. Come on, I will let you fly on a dragon today.” He grinned mischievously.

After leading Sylviana to the back lawn, he turned to her, “Now, this is going to be a little weird, but don’t worry, ok?”

He waited for Sylvy’s nod before he went on, “You have to hold on tight when you get on, can’t have you falling off. That would be very bad for both of us. Oh, and could you close your eyes for a moment, I don’t like people watching this.”

He stepped a little further out on the lawn and made sure Sylvy had closed her eyes tight. He took in a deep breathe, getting himself ready for the change. He hadn’t done it very often, just enough to get used to the idea of it. As he let his breathe out slowly, his faerie wings were slowly shed for leathery golden wings. His skin shifted as scales began to form. He grew larger into his new form, and his limbs changed shape. The process didn’t feel painful at all, just inherently wrong.

“Alright Ssylvy, I am ready.” His voice wasn’t very different, the only difference was the slight hiss when she said her name.

Sylvy opened her eyes, and stared at Tormay with her mouth agape. She wasn’t sure what had happened that brought this large golden lizard into the yard. She also didn’t understand where it was that Tormay had went.

“It’ss ok Ssylvy. I am right here. I am the dragon. Ssee?”

“Dagon? To’may dagon?” She said as she pointed at him.

“Yup, I am a dragon. Only part dragon, and don’t go telling everyone. Not something I like the whole world to know. Just a few people. Keep that in mind.”

“Dagon!”

“I have a feeling you are going to make me regret this Sylvy. Alright, climb on my back, right there in front of the wings. Hold on tight, too.” He laid on the ground next to Sylvy so she wouldn’t have any difficulty climbing onto him.

He wasn’t a large dragon by any stretch of the imagination. Tormay stretched to only over ten feet, twelve if you counted the tail. Standing on all fours, he came to an even six feet. While he seemed large to Sylvy, Tormay knew that he was still very small, and probably would never grow to be much larger. He was rather pleased with that, he wouldn’t be sure if Sylvy would have been comfortable with a large monster of a dragon being her brother.

After she grasped him firmly around the neck, she let Tormay know she was ready by yelling loudly, “Hyah! Go!”

Tormay turned his head back as far as it would go and told Sylvy, “I am not a horsse. I am a dragon. I am not going to run around the fieldss for you.”

“But I wanna. Please?”

“Dragonss don’t gallop and ssuch. I’ll show you,” If Tormay could, he would have grinned with mischief.

Since he could feel that Sylvy still had her tight grip, he launched himself straight up into the air. Once he was airborne, he slowly and gently gained altitude in slow circle over the house. Sylvy did not seem very comfortable with the heights at first, but soon she was giggling and enjoying the view.

“Up, To’may, up!”

“I think we are high enough for now. Do you like how it lookss?”

“Bird!” Sylvy hadn’t even paid attention to Tormay’s question, to busy watching the geese that decided to fly alongside him.

“Alright Ssylvy, I am getting tired. We have to go back.”

“Ok, go home.”

After making sure her grip hadn’t loosened any, he decided to give her one last surprise. Instead of the usual slow maneuvers he had been using this afternoon, he dived straight down. The wind whistled past their ears, getting louder and louder as they gained speed. Sylviana whooped with glee at the ride down. And the feeling of weightlessness that was overcoming her.

Not wanting to risk getting either of them hurt, Tormay pulled out of the dive well over a hundred feet up. He managed to transfer smoothly from the dive into level flight, without putting too much strain on Sylvy. Sylvy never even stopped giggling. From there he circled down, making three whole circuits around the house before landing softly in the yard.

“Alright Ssylvy, nap time. Don’t argue, I need to resst now.”

“OK, To’may, I go sleepy time now.” As she let herself of carefully.

After she went into the house, he went through the same procedure as before, only in reverse to once again be his normal fairy self.

“I really do need to take a nap, that stuff wears me out.” Tormay promptly fell asleep on the first couch he could find after making sure Sylvy was tucked in for her nap.

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”