Pyxis alpha discovery

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Azjah silently pondered his reaction to her questions. She tapped perfectly manicured nails lightly on the table top. About then, Mystic, the youngster in Xenograg’s care came sneak, sneak, sneaking into the Inn. Her eyes riveted on Lord Momus, who must be her quarry for the evening. Azjah rose and headed in Kairee’s direction then. She wanted to be certain she had received the package Azjah had left with Duchess deWinter.

“Hey Babes,” came Kairee’s greeting as she got closer.

Azjah greeted her in return, “Evening Kai, did the Duchess give you the package?”

Kai’s beautiful eyes slid over the Marchioness, “Actually, no. I received nothing from her.”

Azjah’s pale brow rose at her reply, “most curious.”

Kai gave a Gallic shrug, “I haven’t been around much, babes….”

Azjah was much closer now to where Lord Travanix resided at the bar, and she pulled the silk more closely around her shoulders as she considered this bit of news. “I am certain the package is in good hands Kai, I’m simply surprised that you have not received it.”

She laughed, “Next time, just leave it on the offering table at the Chapel of the Divine Nexus next door. But now, I have a party to get to.”

Azjah gave her a soft chuckle, the thought of leaving over 100,000 platinums just laying on an alter was not an option. “Well, I would prefer these packages find their way directly into your hands.”

Kai smirked, “leave it there, and it will be delivered to me.” Her confidence was unshakable, as though no one would dare remove a single item from the offering plate.

Then speak of the devil and he appears, the Duchess made her way through the door with the small, locked box in her hand. She gave a nod to the man holding the door for her before pausing to glance around the Inn. When she spotted Azjah, she smiled, “good evening Marchioness.”

Azjah smiled, “Ah, Duchess.” She spotted the small box in question and was relieved to see them still in Cara’s capable hands.

Kai blew a kiss to the male dressed in the black military style uniform before she vanished. Lord Travanix folded his arms over his chest, leaning his side against the bar.

Cara apologized for not delivering the box, telling Azjah that Kairee had not returned when she had taken her leave from the Inn the previous day, and she felt it unwise to leave the contents where just anyone might pick them up. Azjah had to agree, despite Kairee’s certainty that they would arrive in her care.

Azjah tooK the small box and motioned Cara to her table. “Well enough my friend, and yourself?” As they left Lord Travanix behind, Azjah could not help sliding a glance at him. She gave herself a mental shake and invited Cara to sit down.

Cara chuckled, “With the exception of listening to the help prance about with yesterday’s festivities, I’ve been good.”

The two sat and talked for roughly a half an hour before Azjah rose and excused herself. She had a flight to prepare for in the morning. She took her leave of Cara and headed for the hangar to file the required paperwork for the 6:00 AM flight.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Going Home

She’d gone into RhyDin to cheer for Bran, hoping that he would secure the Baron’s Ring for GaBattlefield Park. She was not disappointed. Bran secured the single win required against the spoiled child that had held it, and with the win, the Barony. Perhaps now there will be something good come of Dragon’s Gate for a change.

As she left the Arena and headed back to the Palazzo, something drew her to the Inn. She’d not planned on remaining in town tonight. There was simply too much to do before leaving. She had things that needed to be taken to Pyxis, and Garry had been with her on the shake down flight of the Star Dragon and managed the take off and landing without becoming ill. But still, something beckoned, and she slowed the Mc Laren and parked it outside of the Inn.

Azjah walked through the doors, pausing only long enough to see if her usual table was available, and then made her way through the moderate crowd toward it. She unfastened the front of the jacket before sliding out of it and draping the blue silk over the back of the comfortable chair.

The Author, Wil Savage glanced around the Inn as he leaned his back against the bar, taking a long drink of the Badsider. In his other hand was a lit cigarette. He appeared the epitome of nonchalance.

While he leaned there, a woman approached him, saying to another male, “I want to talk to Wil for a moment.”

Azjah moved toward the bar, intent upon obtaining a glass of scotch, and as she did, Wil folded his arms across his chest, bringing a booted foot up onto a stool rail as he continued to survey the Inn’s patrons. He made note of Kacilla’s approach, and the Marchioness, whom he realized he had not seen in quite some time.

Kacilla made a direct path toward Wil, and when she reached him, she paused, tilting her head slightly, “Hey, I haven’t seen you in a while. I, ah, this is awkward…”

Azjah paused at the edge of the bar on Wil’s right side as Kacilla began to speak. She garnered Tucker’s attention, “Might I get a glass of Dalwhinnie Distiller’s Edition when you have a moment?” She realized that Tucker may not know her well, and she added, “Neat.”

Wil took a final draw on the cigarette and then crushed it beneath his boot before taking another sip of the Badsider and only then did his eyes land on Kacilla, and cease roaming around the room. He smiled coolly, “Yeah, well, this entire Inn is awkward, so no problem.” He gave her a wink, and his focus was perhaps more of a stare at her, as though he liked what he was seeing.

Azjah thought that a bit odd since the last she knew, Mr. Savage was to be wed to Elessaria, and Rena was to attend the nuptials, and for that reason, Azjah had postponed the trip to Pyxis. Rena had planned on going out again with her, and that did surprise Azjah after the first trip had turned out as it had. But, Rena was made of stout stuff it seemed, and was willing to travel out once more.

Tucker gave a quick glance and a point at Azjah, “Right away!” He then poured a generous splash of the Dalwhinnie into a rocks glass and set it on the bar with a smile. She slid several platinum coins across the bar and picked up the glass. Wil heard the order and lifted a brow faintly at the choice of an excellent whisky, but his eyes never left Kacilla.

Azjah thanked Tucker and turned toward Wil, glancing at him a brief moment before lifting the glass to her lips, pausing as Kacilla began a tentative query.

Kacilla shrugged and smiles somewhat ruefully as she pushed slightly damp hair back away from her face, “that’s true enough I suppose.” She sighed softly, “I haven’t seen Eless in longer than it’s been since the last time I saw you, and I was hoping to talk to her. I hoped…. Do you know where she is?”

Wil’s lips twisted into a parody of a smile as he shrugged, “yeah, well, you and me both. I’ve searched the entire damned planet for her, several times. She’s vanished. I have no idea where.”

Azjah knew she was shocked, and it took a few moments for his words to register with Kacilla. “What?”

Wil took another sip of what was left in the bottle of Badsider, his stomach knotting at the sickening feeling of having his fiancée just disappear a week before the wedding, “Yeah, well, she’s gone.”

Azjah leaned her hip against the bar, one arm crossed over her waist, the other holding the rocks glass. She would not say anything at this moment, but the pain she saw in his eyes was honest and genuine. Perhaps later she would have an opportunity to speak with him.

Wil’s tone was cold and dispassionate as he continued to Kacilla, “Wedding’s over. I’m left at the altar, and life goes on, I guess.”

Kacilla staggered back a step as one hand flew up to cover her throat before she managed a quick shake of her head, “But… Excuse me. I’m sorry. Very sorry.”

Wil glanced at Azjah where she stood at his right side and then glanced back at Kacilla with a very faint smile that lacked all pretense at mirth, “If you see her, tell her some guy named Wil wishes her the best. If I should happen to actually see her first, I will tell her you were asking.”
Last edited by Azjah von Drachen Walde on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah’s brow lifted slightly and Kacilla frowned, seemingly at a complete loss for words. She also did not miss the bitter tone of his voice, “I didn’t mean to bring up something to hurt you, I…” She paused, “do you need to talk or vent…. Or….anything?”

Azjah moved then from the bar, giving Wil a brief nod as she returned to the comfortable chair she had secured earlier. This news was indeed sad. She’d liked the Author the very first time they’d met. And while she too seems to have lost her husband to ‘disappearance’, it was not something she wished on anyone; especially on someone about to be married.

Wil gave a greeting to Siren, watched as Azjah returned to her table, pausing, she glanced once again in his direction before settling comfortably into the chair.

Kacilla gave a quick, jerky nod and frowned before twisting her frown into a crooked smile, “Any time you need, Wil, Any time.” Then she gave him a quick bit of a hug and retreated with a somewhat stunned expression still on her features.

Wil watched Kacilla leave and then caught Azjah’s nod toward the empty chair near her own. She intrigued him, and he walked toward her table, giving her a quick smile, “You remember me?”

She set the glass upon the table, “Mr. Savage, how could I forget? Would you care to have a seat?”

He nodded, his smile kept safely in place as he said, “And you are…..” He tapped his head as though he were a dunce. “You have to excuse me, I’ve not been myself recently.”

Azjah gave him a smile of understanding, “Azjah Caer. We have only met briefly, but you’re well known enough in the literary community.” She understood what he was doing. Pain such as his would be buried deeply. He was even now filing it away and moving onto more neutral ground.

He laughed, “You’ve been reading those bad reviews, huh?”

She smiled, “Actually, I confess a weakness for political intrigue.” And why not? Rigelian politics are rife with intrigue, double crosses, and all manner of skullduggery.

He set his not quite empty bottle down onto the table, “Well then, see, I like you already. A woman who might actually get through the first chapter of my book.”

Azjah toyed with the rocks glass as she regarded him. From his looks, he would be young, maybe late twenties? He had a hard edge to him and he looked as though he might actually live some of the things he’d written.

He sat down and got comfortable in his chair, “So, what have you been doing to keep you so busy that I haven’t seen you around?”

She gave him a cool smile, “Shall I confess that I have read them through?” No point in telling him that sleeping time held no sleep for her. “I have been working on two rather large projects,” she told him by way of explanation. She hadn’t been in town much of recent, but she had been spending a great deal of time in the desert. She and Kairee had a find of great significance to worry about. She then gazed into his deep blue eyes, “And shall I say that I overheard your discussion with the woman, and I am sorry to hear the situation you face.”

He raised a brow, “My God! I am sitting with a woman who’s a glutton for torture!” He was teasing, and his expression bespoke it before he grew more serious, “No, really, thank you, and I hope you enjoyed them. I’m just not comfortable being an author.”

She wondered briefly what he was comfortable with, and then she realized his biography page had listed him as a Colonel. Military background and she wondered if he missed that life.

His smile evaporated, “Thank you. Life sometimes takes strange turns. I’ve never been lucky at love.” A brief moment of discomfort hung suspended for a heartbeat before he changed the subject. “So, what are these large projects, if you don’t mind me asking?”

She took his cue and shifted topics, “We have some mineral developments launching, and that has kept me rather busy and away from town. Which is why I am so dreadfully out of touch on events in RhyDin it would seem.”

Wil was immediately interested, and she wondered at his interest. Would he remain intrigued once he learned one of the projects was significantly off world? “Really?” He asked, “Well, you are a woman who is full of surprises. First it’s the Whinnie you ordered, and now this.”

She took a slow sip of her scotch as she continued to study him, “Surprises keep life interesting.” She smiled faintly. “Between the Cepheans and the threat they pose to Lacerta, and the project on a small planet of interest, I’ve had time to read, and have lost touch with local doings. “ She would see if he recognized anything of the off world events. “Would you care for another Badsider?” She was fairly certain that while he appreciated the scotch she was drinking, mixing the ale and the scotch would not likely be a wise thing to do.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

He gave her a quick smile, “Sure, I think I will.” And she motioned for a serving lad to bring another bottle of Badsider to Wil at their table as he continued, “The Cepheans huh? Hmm, interesting. “ She could not tell whether he knew anything of that barbarian race, or not. “And Lacerta is the planet with the geological interest?”

She shook her head, “No, the planet of geological interest is on Pyxis. It was on Lacerta that I nearly lost the Star Dragon.” Memories of that last trip flashed through her thoughts, and she hoped most sincerely that Wil was not clairvoyant.

“Ahh,” he said as he seemed to ponder, putting his knowledge of the planets of this sector to use, “I would have never thought to have met such a… traveler… in the Tombs. Mind if I smoke?”

Azjah swirled the glass of scotch a moment. Not many realized that his term The Tombs indicated not an earthly crypt, but also the stars and constellation called Taurus. He knew his skies it would seem because Lacerta was part of that very constellation. “Not at all,” she told him with regard to his cigarette. “Have you ever been to Cephea?”

He reached into a breast pocket and took out a half crushed pack of cigarettes, and tapped one half-way from the package, “Thanks.” He put that cigarette to his lips, pulling the pack away and leaving the cigarette dangling as he slipped the pack back into his pocket. He pulled out a lighter and flicked it open and lit the cigarette within a cupped hand, deftly flicked the lighter out and slipped it away before answering about Cephea. “Yeah, a long time back.” He gave her a long look, “That’s “NOT” where you’re from, is it?”

She quirked a pale brow at him, “thankfully, no, but those barbarians are threatening one of the Kaiser’s colonies. They have destroyed my satellite station.” She didn’t want to go into a lot of detail, but if he would ask if she hailed from Cephea, she wanted no misunderstandings about where she stood with the brutes.

He was deeply relieved that she was not from Cephea, but he never assumed anything. “Good! I wanted to have their planet pulverized ten years ago, but I couldn’t come up with a legit reason. They’re not in a trade lane.” He took a draw on the cigarette and exhaled it toward the ceiling.

Azjah had to chuckle, “Someone has sold them technology they have no business having. I wish you had found a reason ten years ago.” This whole scenario would not be happening now had they been obliterated a decade ago.

He nodded, “Yeah, traders without scruples.” He gave her a grin that clearly said he was enjoying their discussion, “Yeah, maybe I should have tried harder.”

Azjah did not mention that she had suspicions about who had sold the Cephean war machine it’s latest technology. She took a sip of the scotch to bury the animosity she felt toward Kendrick at the moment, “They’ve cost me a pretty penny.” The memories of Berhard crushed beneath the fallen ceiling brought a fleeting shadow of regret to her featuers, “And more.” She sipped the amber liquid again, “If I am not intruding, will you remain here in RhyDin?” She was referring to his loss of Elessaria, and wondered if he would return to the stars, or stay here and write.

Wil winked at her, “well, maybe I’ll have to give them another look.”

Azjah gave a quiet laugh, “I may have to consider how to encourage you to do just that.”

He pursed his lips somewhat, “Yeah, I think so. At least for a while.” He was not going to divulge his I.I.S.C. story to her just yet. They had only met, and if she too traveled the stars, she could be more dangerous to him than most of those he met here in RhyDin.

Azjah never made it any secret that she was not from RhyDin, but that she did love this little nexus in space. “The repairs have been finished on the Star Dragon, and she’s had her shake down flight,” she told him. Since she would once more be taking to the stars and would be off world for a bit, she felt it incumbent upon herself to say so.

He gave another draw on the cigarette, then picked up the bottle in the hand that still held the lit fag as he listened. “What kind of ship is she?”

Azjah considered his query. The Star Dragon was not military craft per se, but she was very high tech, and very well gunned for reasons of security to her company. She heard Rena order an Irish Coffee and used that as a moment to weigh how much to tell Wil as she turned and gave Rena a quick wave. Turning then to Wil, “She’s my personal craft. Built for speed, armed enough to keep me reasonably safe. But she is my private transport off world.” The integrated systems for defense and offense were the latest available for smaller craft. “The company’s freighters are bigger and take a larger crew. The Dragon can be flown by two, and can accommodate up to six people in reasonable comfort.” It was enough to tell him for now. The J-type vessel was modeled after the RQ3, but the chromium skin and weapons arrays were uniquely her own.

Wil waved to Rena as she dropped her money onto the counter and picked up her mug with a nod to Tucker and Panther before she turned and moved in their direction. “Am I interrupting?” She inquired as she drew near enough to speak.

Azjah smiled, “Not at all Rena.”

Wil smiled at Rena, “Hey, come and have a seat.” Then he looked at Azjah, “Okay, that sounds like a good ship. I’m glad she’s repaired.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah nodded at him, “she is. She’s fast, she’s comfortable, and elegant. What more could I ask for?”

Rena sat down and crossed her left leg over her right, “How are you two doing?”

Wil gave Azjah an honest smile, “well, maybe I could see it sometime?” He was silently hoping he wasn’t being too forward, some people were very sensitive about their ships, and he knew he was in no rush to show off his vessel.

Azjah canted her head at him, “I would be happy to show her to you. Rena has even gone flying with me.” She glanced at Rena then, “I am well Rena.”

Wil sobered somewhat at Rena’s query, “I’m making through day by day Rena.” He looked again at Azjah, “Yeah, I’d like that. I could use a break from here.”

Rena glanced at them both, but her eyes fell a bit longer on Wil before she responded to Azjah’s comment, “it was an interesting flight.”

Azjah colored slightly, “For which I do apologize.”

Wil glanced at Azjah, “Azjah, you didn’t do the famous two words to Rena, did you?” He mistook Azjah’s apology to Rena with light hearted good humor. “The famous two words that every passenger hates to hear…. ‘Watch this!’”

Rena’s gaze fell then onto Azjah, “Apologize for what? Am I complaining?” She then smiled, “Wil took me flying too.”

Azjah shook her head, “well, if nearly getting you killed, or crushed, or frozen without a way off that archipelago….” Her words trailed off. “No, you have not complained.” She then lifted a brow at Rena, “Indeed?” Apparently Mr. Savage either maintained an aircraft here, or he leased one. Interesting.

Wil winced, as though his ship was supposed to remain a secret, or left unmentioned.

“Well, it wasn’t a pleasure flight, and Piper threw me in the second seat.” Rena told her, sipping her Irish Coffee and clearly avoiding any description of the ship flown by Mr. Savage.

Azjah gave Wil a soft laugh, “no, but the Dragon turned into a free ride for a pod of Cepheans who then blew my base to smithereens.” She had noted the silent exchange between Wil and Rena and recognized that there was a great deal more to this tale than was being put to words tonight.

Wil winced then, “The Cepheans are a pain in the butt. Maybe we’ll have to teach them a lesson some day. I’m itching for some action.”

Ahh, there it was, the military side of him missed the adrenaline rush that only goes with that life. Azjah then added, “They have Lacerta blockaded.”

He gave her a surprised look, one that suggested that he’d been out of the mix too long, “Oh? They did that, huh?” Maybe we’ll have to un-blockade Lacerta.” The thought of action against them excited him, but he tried to keep it under a more mundane exterior.

“They’ve set their sights on stealing the resources of Lacerta. The only question is when they will invade.” She knew that if Wil had ever had dealings with the Cepheans, he would understand what such an invasion would mean. They’d slaughter the colonists for the pure joy of the slaughter before they raped the planet into a useless and desolate place and move on.

Wil regarded Azjah a long moment, “And your connection with Lacerta is?” He waited for her explanation, as though just how she was tied to that little world would determine something important.

She took a sip of the scotch with a glance at Rena first, “Lacerta is a colony of Rigel, my home world. It is claimed by the Kaiser.” Many star travelers took issue with the Kaiser’s colonial expansions, but Azjah was loyal to the Emperor, and as a member of the Aristocracy, she would do her part to see to the success of her Kaiser.

Wil’s eyes widened, “You’re from Rigel? You’re kidding me. Really?”

Azjah sipped the scotch, “My company provides much of the armaments to defend Lacerta.” She gave him a single nod, “I am.”

He leaned back into his chair, his hands falling down to the sides of the chair, “Da-yam Azjah, you are full of surprises.”

She flashed him a brilliant smile, “I find very few who can appreciate my home world here in RhyDin. Have you been there, or is your knowledge of Rigel in passing?”

Wil flashed Azjah a smile, “Yeah, well, what to “they” know? I’ve been there. It’s a binary system about 800 light years from Earth. A very advanced civilization.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah was pleasantly surprised by his knowledge, “We do favor technology.” That was an understatement of the year.

Wil chuckled, “Yeah, I’d say.” He pressed his hand to his forehead as he shook his head, “And to think I met you while I was drinking a café mocha and eating a lemon poppy seed muffin.”

Azjah chuckled, “the universe is shrinking, whether we will it or not.”

He nodded in agreement, “Yeah, it’s scary.” Rena echoed his sentiment.

She regarded Wil a long moment, “I am leaving Sunday for Pyxis, and am considering making a trip home.” She then turned her focus onto Rena, “And so what did you think of Mr. Savage as a Pilot?”

Wil’s brow rose fractionally, “No kidding?” He flicked the ash into the old bottle of ale that he had just finished, then glanced at Rena.”

She sipped the Irish Coffee, “He makes a good one.” Her answers were even shorter than usual.

Wil winked at her, he had been very safe with Piper in the prototype Class VI fighter, but would not say a word now.

Azjah did not miss the unspoken exchange between Wil and Rena yet again. Something was amiss about this flight, but now was not the time to inquire. She swirled the remaining scotch, it was getting late, “Besides, who can miss Spring on Rigel?” She asked Wil.

He dropped the cigarette butt into the empty beer bottle, eyeing Azjah a moment before smiling, “Are you trying to make me jealous Azjah?”

She wanted to ask him whether he rented or owned, but decided against it, “Would it work?” She inquired instead.

“Yes, it just might,” he smiled, as though he’d guessed her questions, but continued to remain mute about his own vessel.

She would ask him for a reciprocal tour when there were no others about, and finished her scotch, sliding the glass to her left, “This time of year should see the salmon quince in bloom, and the Royal gardens will be a riot of color now.”

Wil slid his glance toward Rena, “So, what kind of pilot is Azjah? Would she be able to take me safely to Rigel and back?” His grin said he was teasing, but Azjah’s heart skipped a beat as she waited for Rena’s reply.

Rena glanced between the two pilots, “Yes, she would” she told Wil

Wil turned back to Azjah, “well, if you need a co-pilot, I work very cheap.” He opened the Badsider that had been delivered earlier.

Azjah colored slightly, “I am certain Gabriel would not object to sharing the right seat.” Gabriel would mind, and he’d not much care for a strange male aboard ship, but the Carpathian would accede to her wishes and keep his objections between the Marchioness and himself.

Wil’s brow rose fractionally, “Sharing? Unless it is an extra wide, I’m guessing it will have to be one or the other.” He winked and finished off the Badsider and set the bottle down.

Azjah had to laugh at that mental image, “I very much doubt that Gabriel would allow you to sit on his lap.” As Wil laughed and admitted that he liked Gabriel already, Azjah gave him a meaningful smile, “How much of a sense of adventure do you have Mr. Savage?”

He blew air out of his mouth and leaned back, “If you only knew Azjah. Someday I might tell you. Let’s just say you’d have to go some distance to test that limit.”

Azjah canted her head with a smile, “If you want that tour of the Dragon, perhaps you can join me for a quick run for supplies tomorrow. I will be departing at 6:00 AM.” She would see if his words were bravado, or could he back them with actions.

He ignored her offer a moment to down the remainder of his beer, bringing the bottle to settle on the table, only then did he look at her, “Okay, I’ll be there.” He winked and rose, “I better be on my way now.”

Azjah rose with a nod toward Rena, “Take care my friend.” She then glanced at Wil, “Wonderful, as must I.” She had things to do before calling it a night, and if she was to be ready at 6:00 AM with the preflight filed and check lists completed, she needed to return to the Palazzo.

Wil helped her with the chair, and gave her a sketch of a bow before saying, “it’s been a most pleasant evening.” Then he bade Rena a good evening, and a greeting to Aaron before he moved back up the stairs at a rather quick pace and disappeared.

Azjah slid into her jacket with a nod to Rena and left the Inn. She’d file the flight plan from the Palazzo, and break the news to Gabriel.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah finished filing the requisite documentation for the flight in the morning. They would be free to leave at 6:00 AM, which would mean that they would be back in plenty of time for her to pick up the supplies for Pyxis. She left instructions for Dyson to have the needed things delivered while she was away.

She shut down the computer link to the RhyDin docks once she had her confirmations. Azjah took a deep breath. She may as well tell Gabriel tonight about her plans to take Wil along in the morning. Her expectations were that he would not be pleased, but there was no point in delaying either. "Gabriel?"

The Carpathian heard her despite being deep within the Palazzo basement levels and arrived moments later. He stood unmoving near her desk as she explained that Wil would be joining them in the morning, and her intentions were to let him fly the Star Dragon. If the man was a pilot, she wanted to know just how good of one he might be. Or how bad, she didn't know yet.

Gabriel lifted a brow at her when she finished. He’d already sensed her discomfort about telling him. "How do you know this is a safe thing? Taking him aboard the Dragon will introduce him to some of Rigel's best technology."

Azjah contemplated a long moment. "He has secrets Gabriel. Many I suspect, yet espionage with regard to a private craft does not feel like something he would do. He's got bad boy tendencies and mannerisms, but what he's hiding has naught to do with espionage. Don't ask me to explain, it's simply intuition."

He vanished abruptly and Azjah suspected Gabriel would be seeking information about the Author. It would give him something to do besides hunting this night.

At 4:30 AM she rose and headed for the Star Dragon. Gabriel met her as she parked the Mc Laren and walked through the gates to the docking bay. She'd paused to let the guards know that she expected Mr. Savage for a 6 AM departure and they walked in silence toward the ship.

The Star Dragon was berthed at the end of the ramp. Her chromium hull shone in the artificial lighting of the facility with a mirror like perfection. The J-Type craft had been modeled after the RQ3 unmanned craft used for stealth, and the Dragon lived up to her stealth heritage. She would be difficult to spot with most conventional systems, and though she is larger than the RQ3, she's even better equipped for interstellar transport.

The Star Dragon's ramp slid down as Azjah touched the biometric pad and the lighting within the ship flared to life. The computers had been in stand-by, but as she made her way to the cockpit, they too came to life, and when she settled into the left seat the departure checklist was lit up on the main screen.

She and Gabriel went through the pre-flight checks in silence. They had done this too many times to need any superfluous discussion. By 5:30 they had completed their checks and were ready for departure. She'd filed their destination as Enceladus. It was a short hop as these flights went, but the ice moon of Saturn held crucial supplies for the operation on Pyxis. They would require specialized arctic gear because the mean temperature only reaches minus 198 degrees Celsius.

The moon is the sixth largest moon of Saturn, and is very close to the densest part of Saturn's E ring. It is also one of few near Earth planets/moons with water present. But it was not water they were after. The cryovolcanic plume at Enceladus' South Pole has deposits required for powering some of the equipment delivered to Pyxis. So they would arrive on the cold moon to secure provisions from the team that mined the rare gases. Germanium clathrate is very expensive to manufacture, but here the superconducting hydrate could be 'mined' and recovered with some improved efficiencies.

The moon has a mean diameter of 505 km, but its active volcanism is a rarity. The plume of water and debris extends more than a full diameter above Enceladus' frozen surface. Much of the icy vapor falls back to the surface of the moon, but with plumes this large, it may be feeding the faint E ring of Saturn as well. They would have to negotiate the debris field of Saturn, and traverse the rings of Saturn to make the landing on the tiny moon. The view of Saturn from Enceladus would be stunning. Thirty percent of the sky would be consumed by the gaseous giant and it's rings. But the trip through those rings was demanding.

As she considered the wisdom of turning over the flying to Wil, her reverie was broken by his arrival.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Wil Savage
Young Wyrm

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Colonel Savage was up at 0400, ground the coffee and got it brewing. He was wondering what kind of trouble this day was going to bring. As long as it’s not boring, he thought as he slipped into the shower. Azjah doesn’t seem the boring type. A personal craft built for speed that can hold six? I’ve seen some of those “speedy” craft. You can die of old age before they make it to the next star system – damned planet hoppers. That’s all they’re good for.

He showered, dressed and had his usual breakfast of coffee with a few fried eggs, ham and toast; and then some more coffee. By 0500 he was out of the apartment and heading off to see this “fast, comfortable and elegant” ship. He’d be satisfied if it just held together and brought him back safely. Then he started wondering what king of pilot Azjah would turn out to be. He wasn’t a male chauvinist by any means; he knew that women often made excellent pilots. They generally multitask better than men, and nowhere were multitasking abilities more critical and put to the test then in the left seat of a spacecraft.

At 0520 he arrived at the guard house and was giving his credentials. They were evidently ready for him and all went smoothly as they pointed in the direction of the ramp and the ship that was docked at the end of it. Wil was dressed comfortably in black flight pants, a deep green shirt, enviroboots, and a black leather flight jacket that concealed his p-blaster which was holstered near the left armpit. His shades were tucked into his inside coat pocket.

Savage walked down the ramp and began to wonder what the hell was shining at the end where the ship was supposed to be docked. When he got closer and recognized the shine was coming from an all-too-familiar J-Type craft, he stopped and put his hands on his hips. “What the hell? Son-of-a. . ." his words trailed off as he stared at the chromium hull. “She’s got a damned stealth system going,” he mumbled to himself. "That woman is just full of surprises."

By 0530 he walked up the ramp and heard the last of the preflight checks going on. He recognized Azjah’s voice, but not that of the man.

“Good morning,” he said to announce his presence. He was always early for a flight; even one that he was not in charge of.

It was just his habit.
Cesser d'aimer et d'être aimable
C'est une mort insupportable;
Cesser de vivre, ce n'est rien.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:56 pm Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Azjah glanced at the time and began engine warm up as Mr. Savage announced his presence, “Good morning.”

Azjah turns in the left seat with a smile. “Ah, good morning to you.” She rose and Gabriel followed suit. The six foot four inch Carpathian filled the space behind Azjah. Souless black eyes studied Wil where he stood. No emotion lit his features.

“Welcome aboard my vessel Mr. Savage.” She walked toward him and the big Carpathian followed. Azjah’s pale blue gaze met Wil’s rich blue, “May I introduce Gabriel Daratrazanov. Gabriel, this is Wil Savage, he will be flying with us today to Enceladus.”

Gabriel gave Wil a silent nod and no more.

“I’m sorry we don’t have time for a quick tour, but our departure time looms and they get a little testy if we slow things down.” She turned toward the cockpit, “Do come and take the right seat Mr. Savage. Perhaps you’ll consider taking her out?”

She strapped into the left seat and motioned toward the right.

Gabriel folded his frame onto the jump seat behind Wil in silence.

Azjah waited for him to strap in before sealing the ramp and giving him a chance to take a look at the controls.

He gave serious concentration to the cockpit before agreeing to pilot the sleek ship out of RhyDin. Azjah contacted the Tower and they were given permission to take the launch pad.

“We’re going to Enceladus, it’s fairly chilly there.” She gave him a bit of a smile and waited to see what he had to say.

Azjah remained alert as they departed, she was prepared to take controls if she didn’t like what she saw in his handling of the vessel. “When we clear of RhyDin, I’ll show you around.” His handling of the Dragon was expert, and she wondered just what secrets he had lurking in his background.

Gabriel watched in silence as Wil piloted the craft away from RhyDin and set the course for the Saturnian moon. He sensed no threat to the Marchioness, and once free of the gravitational pull of RhyDin, he rose and vanished.

“You handle her as though you’re familiar with J Types Mr. Savage.” Azjah spoke as he did a course correction and turned it over to autopilot for a bit. “Would you care for a quick tour?”

She rose then and led him back toward the entry ramp where there was a cluster of seats with a maximum occupancy of six. “This is where Rena spent a fair amount of time talking to Dominik on our flight to Lacerta.” Beyond that was a small alcove with food preparation facilities.

She turned right and led him into the wing area, “There is a small observation room here with a telescope, and a laser target range. You cannot use conventional weapons, but we do use modified lasers to keep up target practice.”

The narrow hall circled around and a series of doors with touch pads for biometrics decorated each door. “The private spaces are here. As I said, I can comfortably accommodate up to six and no more.”

She paused at the door closest to the main body of the ship, but then continued on to return to the common area. “And that pretty much wraps it up.”

The alarm that they were approaching their destination sounded, and she headed back to the cockpit. “Ready to take on the debris field?” She flashes him a smile.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Wil Savage
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Cartographer, City Guard
7443.70 Silver Crowns

Items
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:30 pm Post subject:

“Welcome aboard my vessel, Mr. Savage. May I introduce Gabriel Daratrazanov. Gabriel, this is Wil Savage, he will be flying with us today to Enceladus.”

Just great. Gabriel Daratrazanov, a Carpathian who has to be at least 6’4” and not very talkative - just the kind of payload every vessel can do without. Aren’t these guys supposed to stay planet-side and bend steel with their bare hands? Savage’s thoughts upon the introduction to Gabriel were kept to himself, and instead it returned the nod with a brief, “Morning.” He didn’t offer his hand. Carpathians didn’t shake hands. Besides, if you were unfortunate enough to be introduced to one who did, it could turn out to be a very painful experience and Savage preferred to keep his dexterity just a little longer.

The second rather unpleasant surprise was that they were going to Enceladus. He hated moons to begin with, but freakin’ cold ones were the worse of the lot; well, except for the boiling hot ones, but we don’t go there (literally). Enceladus averaged -330 deg F, and that required special precautions.

“Do come and take the right seat Mr. Savage. Perhaps you’ll consider taking her out?”

He was quite familiar with J-Type craft and except for slightly different instrument layout from model to model, they handled basically the same. Why the designers felt they had to change the instrument layout when they upgraded the ship every year or two, was beyond him. His only guess was “job security” – gave them something to do. The Star Dragon was definitely different than most when it came to navigational aids and armament, but a quick perusal of the instruments and controls enabled Savage to put the basic layout to memory. He quickly scanned down the checklist, his hands touching each control and dial as he did, then Wil looked at Azjah and nodded with a bit of a smile, “Sure, I'd love to fly this baby.”

After Azjah contacted the Tower she said, “We’re going to Enceladus, it’s fairly chilly there.”

“Yeah, so I’ve heard. And here I was worried all night about going to someplace where my Tasty Freeze would melt.” He gave her a wink, got the clearance from the tower, and grasped the throttle system and eased the ship out of its berth.

The ship was a dream.

He was very impressed with the responsiveness and could tell right off that this was not your run-of-the-mill J-craft. There were modifications – the kind that make a difference. This was the way the J-Types were supposed to be if the manufacturer hadn’t been pressed to stay within certain budget restrictions. He turned to his left and smiled at Azjah, “Hey, I could get used to this baby. You might find me hanging out at the ramp with a “Will work for flight time” sign hanging around my neck.”

“You handle her as though you’re familiar with J Types Mr. Savage.”

“Yeah, I’ve flown a few in my day, but none this nice.”

“Would you care for a quick tour?”

“Would love one,” he replied and flicked on the autopilot and waited just a bit to be sure it had taken effect.

The ship’s layout had a familiarity, but there were enough upgrades here to make the tour quite interesting. In some ways it reminded him of his own ship, although the military fighter had no wing area. He noted the private areas, and took note at her pause at the door closest to the main body of the ship. He wondered if that was her private quarters, but he just ignored the pause as if he hadn’t even noticed.

When they returned to the flight deck she said with a smile, “Ready to take on the debris field?”

That was the third surprise of this trip.

His brow raised and he gave a nod of willingness, but behind that nod was the realization that he was not just flying her personal ship – she was testing him!

Furthermore, she trusted him.

No pilot would unnecessarily risk their own ship by taking on a debris field when it could be avoided. Azjah trusted him enough that she was willing to give him the most stringent test other than being in an actual battle. The implications of that could very well have something to do with the Cepheans. Wil suspected that she was evaluating if she wanted him at her wing when she decided to take the Cepheans on to protect Lacerta. She was definitely an impressive woman.

“I’ve been taught that you always have to be ready for a debris field if you want to live to see the pilot old age home. It’s not a matter of if you’ll be in one, but when. Let’s take it on.” He strapped himself in, clicked off the autopilot, and flicked the switches that brought up long and short-ranged Lidar, defensive procedures, and hi-res monitoring. He made a quick test of the yaw, roll, and pitch controls to be sure they were fully functioning, then with a hand grasping the throttle tightly, they zipped into the debris field.

Wil was now in his element with total concentration, controlling the ship by feel rather than by through and analysis. If you had to think and analyze, your operation of the controls would be too slow. The Star Dragon whisked through the debris field with Wil giving as wide a berth as possible to the "debris" This was not a time when you tried to be a hot shot with close fly-bys. Those who did that wound up dead with the loss of a perfectly good ship. Wil was good, very good, and he had no need to show off or take unnecessary risks.

They came out of the debris field unscathed and he came on final approach to Enceladus. “You have a particular freezer you want to land in?” Wil asked, looking over to Azjah, finding her as beautiful as she was brilliant.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah felt Gabriel’s distinctive chill toward Wil, but this was her choice and not his. As long as Gabriel remained professional, she would be content with his continuing to accompany her on some of these flights. Then she frowned to herself, all too soon, she would be without him, and that thought depressed her.

Her flight suit was sufficient to keep her warm during the flight, space is very cold, and Azjah tended to keep the air temperature on the cool side anyway. The custom flight suit was black, a color not usually worn by the Marchioness.

She turned and smiled when he’d said he was worried about his Tasty Freeze melting. “Not on this trip;” and she gave a soft laugh. “The thermal suits are in this closet” she told him as they returned to the common area. On the right side as they face the ramp was a sealed closet, but at her touch, the door slid open revealing 4 specialized arctic type suits that were completely self contained. “I brought two along, I was uncertain of your size.” She slid her gaze over him from head to foot. “One should be workable, and we are not staying long. Unless you would prefer to remain aboard the Dragon?” She quirked a pale brow at him; wondering if he would refuse the opportunity to get up close and personal with an ice volcano.

Wil handled the Star Dragon with exceptional competence, but as he began the approach to Enceladus, she reached up and engaged an additional front and lower shields. She also powered up weapons systems as a precaution before seeking contact with the colony near the south polar region of the moon.

“Enceladus Epsilon, this is Star Dragon requesting landing authorization.” The radio crackled and for a long moment there was no reply. She waited, the paperwork had clearly stated their destination, and she had negotiated for the Germanium clathrate earlier, but one never should underestimate some of these small colonies of eccentric humans.

Finally the radio crackled back, “Star Dragon, this is Enceladus Epsilon, you are cleared to land on docking bay one three.” The coordinates were transmitted and Wil now had his destination. They could see the plume of water vapor from the volcanic activity as they cleared the E ring.
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

As Wil negotiated the approach, he was completely focused on the task at hand. But he was also clearly in his element. Here was a man who’d flown a great deal, despite his joke about the old age home for pilots. She watched him bring the vessel through the thin atmosphere of Enceladus, and he touched down with a faint bump onto the designated docking bay.

Moorings were set, and Azjah rose out of the left seat and returned to the storage for the suits. She reached for her own, which had her company logo on it and simply her first name. She was ready to put on the head covering when Gabriel materialized and assisted her with that task and the gloves before he donned his own suit.

At last they were ready, and Azjah tested the comm links before unsealing the exit ramp and taking her first step onto the icy moon. At the bottom of the ramp, they were met by four colony officials and escorted toward a low building. Saturn hung in the dark sky above them. Its rings of debris scattering the light from a much more distant Sol, but the gaseous giant planet was stunning to behold. She paused and took in the sight before Gabriel gave her a gentle reminder that they were falling behind their escorts.

They entered the building and were led into an office like room where Azjah removed her gloves and hood. She smiled as the base commander introduced himself, and she produced the documentation chip to verify who she was and the quantities of material she had come for.

He slid the chip into a computer, and several moments later he looked up from the screen.

“Ihre Bescheinigungen sind und im Auftragsmadame korrekt.” He handed her back the chip. „Wir lassen 8 Kilogramm verpacken und bereiten vor, damit Sie mit Ihnen nehmen. Haben Sie die Zahlung?“
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Azjah gave him a smile. „Ja habe ich die erbetenen Nahrungsmittel und Versorgungsmaterialien und den Generator für Energie, sowie das Zahnrad.“ She turned toward Gabriel, „will you show them to the hold and provide them any assistance they require to remove the supplies?“

She smiled again at the Commander, “Herr Daratrazanov wird ihn en beim Entladen der Zahlung vom Lagerraum helfen.“ Then with an impish smile at Will, she turned to the Commander and added, „Wenn es möglich ist, können wir den Vulkan sehen?“

He gave a grunt that she took to mean yes, and summoned a burly male. They spoke in a language Azjah did not recognize and the big man motioned for them to follow. He took them out to a transport that looked very much like an enclosed snow mobile for 4 people. As they slid across the icy landscape, Azjah continued to glance up at Saturn. There are many beautiful objects to be found in the skies, but a planet suspended this close always captivated her. She felt as though she could reach up and touch it because it appeared so close to them.

The terrain grew quite rough, and the guide had to slow the machine to nearly a crawl to negotiate some of the ice ridges, but as they climbed the highest one so far, she could make out the fog of falling ice crystals and as they crested the ridge she got her first view of the ice volcano.

The rumble of the ongoing plume of ice being ejected over 500 kilometers into the sky was formidable, even in the thin atmosphere, the sound permeated the enclosed transport with a constant rumble. The guide stopped the transport on the ridge top. He would not go closer without the protection of the mining equipment, and this was what she had wanted to see anyway.

An abrupt explosion and violent expulsion of larger chunks of ice rocked the ground and Azjah jumped at the unexpected flare of activity. If such explosions were common, these miners worked in an exceedingly hazardous place. She nodded to the guide and he returned them to the low office buildings where he’d first picked them up.

The transaction completed, they bade the Commander farewell and returned to the Star Dragon, where Gabriel awaited. The Germanium clathrate was stowed for the journey back, and Azjah removed the protective suit in deep thought.

She headed back to the cockpit, leaving Gabriel to seal the ramp. As Wil rejoined her, she powered up the engines, and double checked the weapons array. Getting onto Enceladus was easy. Getting away with your cargo was another matter. “Are you any good at target shooting?” She asked him as the moorings separated from the ship.

Hidden in the rings were undoubtedly pirates waiting for an opportunity to land either the vessel, or her cargo. It usually mattered little to them. The base was secured from their depredations. The moon’s guns kept out all unauthorized traffic. But the rings of Saturn were the perfect place to hide for the maurauders.

Saturns rings and the moon Enceladus
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Wil Savage
Young Wyrm

See this user's pet
Jobs: Cartographer, City Guard
7443.70 Silver Crowns
[ Donate ]

Items
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:04 pm Post subject:

Wil watched as Azjah pointed to the environmental suits that they would need to survive on the moon. “One should be workable, and we are not staying long. Unless you would prefer to remain aboard the Dragon?” He gave her a “yeah…sure” look and took the suit that looked like it would fit him.

When the time came, he put the suit on as if he did it every day. There was a time when this would not have been an exaggeration. When the ship’s door opened, they would have died in a few seconds had they not been inside their suits. The temperature of Enceladus is similar to the temperature where liquid nitrogen boils (-321 deg F) and where it freezes (-346 deg F). This is partly because Enceladus reflects so much of the sunlight it receives, rather than absorbing it.

Wil walked alongside of Azjah and gazed upon the giant rings of Saturn. He had been to countless planets, but there were few that could compare to the beauty of this one. He followed her into the building and watched as the base commander introduced himself and took her documentation chip. He approved her documentation and said that an 8 Kg package was prepared and wondered if she had the money. Savage listened as Azjah mentioned that she also requested food, some supplies and a generator. This was evidentially not some haphazard checkout of her ship. Then she smiled at him and asked the base commander if they could go see the volcano.

For the first time the base commander looked critically at Savage, obviously curious who he was. “Und Sie haben auch Dokumentation?”

Wil nodded and removed a small, black leather folder and opened it to the base commander. He watched the eyes of the commander widen when the I.I.S.C. agent badge was revealed and he was identified as “Colonel William Samuel Savage, Agent 541, Interplanetary Intelligence and Security, Sector H-42”. The commander just handed the documentation back saying, “Nur eine Vorsichtsmaßnahme, Sir. Vielen Dank.”

Wil actually enjoyed the ride in the transport that was designed to navigate such terrain. It was a refreshing change to the life in Rhy’Din, and made him realize how much he had missed his work. The ice volcano was magnificent. Wil sat there and stared out the large windows of the transport vehicle. “Absolutely amazing, isn’t it, Azjah? I never get over the incredibly diverse worlds in this universe. Every one is unique; it like the mold of creation could be used only once, and then destroyed.”

When Azjah jumped at the explosion, he placed a hand on her arm, but he was not smiling. It was a concern for him also. No one in their right mind would be nonchalant about such explosions that threatened to put an end to the insignificant technology that protected one’s body from a quick death. He was momentarily caught between the mesmerizing attraction of the display of power and the need to get back to safety.

He was not disappointed to be back inside the Star Dragon. These moons were fun to visit, but you didn’t want to stay if a long life was something that was important to you. Once he removed his Environ-suit he returned to the right seat of the ship.

“Are you any good at target shooting?”

Wil turned his head and looked at Azjah, and he just had to smirk as he admired her. He knew exactly what she was referring to, as would have any I.I.S.C. agent. Planetary rings and asteroid fields were notorious hangouts for space pirates. He would have been a lot happier being in his fighter craft that was specifically designed for taking out other ships, but the Star Dragon seemed well-equipped.

He gave a closer look at the weaponry systems, then looked back to Azjah with a grin, “I think I might be able to whack a few ducks.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Then the base commander asked Wil for his documents. She hadn’t thought about that, and subsequently, had not arranged to have his identity proven in her submitted chip. Her brow lifted as the required documents were presented, but from where she stood, she could not see the official insignia, but the Commander’s demeanor did raise a few unspoken questions. What could he have seen to make him so abruptly obsequious?

‘Absolutely amazing, isn’t it, Azjah?” She glanced at him a moment, noting that he did truly seem to be enjoying the view, and she had to agree with him about each world being unique, as though the mold were truly broken. It seemed an apt analogy.

The moment his hand on her arm, she suppressed a shiver. No male had touched her in over a year, and she quickly buried the sensations it created. Instead she focused on the return trip.

Once they were back into space, and the rings of Saturn loomed before them, Azjah focused on getting past the planet’s gravitational pull, and it’s likely trouble.

The unidentified ship materialized from the debris field. The computer hadn’t picked up a transmitted identification from the vessel, and Gabriel’s announcement that there were 3 others out there waiting to surround them elicited an oath from Azjah.

"Они любят визитер! ” (They love visitors!) Azjah muttered as the first suspicious vessel materialized out of the debris field.

As the first shot was fired at the Star Dragon, Azjah adjusted the shields, still muttering, “воняя пираты.” (stinking pirates)

Gabriel remained behind the Marchioness, intently focused on the star field before them. “Они попытаю окружит нас." They will attempt to surround us, there are three more laying in wait.” He switched to Common because Colonel Savage was responsible for the exit strategy, and it was doubtful that he spoke Gabriel’s native language.

Azjah resisted the temptation to take control of the Star Dragon. Wil was handling things well, but it was the inactivity that had her perched on a knife’s edge. She monitored the sensors with one hand poised above weapons control.

She glanced at Wil and noted the self confident grin, “ready for that duck hunting?” She certainly hoped he was.

The first blast was aimed at the engines, and Azjah was relieved as the shields held.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”