The World According to Maggie

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

May 8, 2014

Maggie brushed her hair and pulled it back from her face. She then set her new camera on the desk and pressed the record button.

So, it’s been a long time since I recorded something! This time, it’s not just my voice, but a picture, too! I saved up some money to buy this camera gizmo. I think it will be fun to practice singing and stuff then listen to how I sound!

Last weekend was all kinds of busy! We had the show to do at the Shanachie. I got to play Dorothy. When the show ended on Saturday, I went to the Beltane party with Gran. I wore my favorite party dress and got to dance with Doran!

We saw Captain Aja! Ok, so, I call her Auntie Aja, too. When I’m talkin’ about ship business, it’s Captain. She was talkin’ with Uncle Stephen and then Gran was talkin’ with Uncle Stephen. He said somethin’ about wanting his his ship blessed. I don’t know what he’s up to, but it can’t be good if Gran said she’d talk to Uncle ‘Idon for him.

Mama’s Day is coming up soon. I have that all planned, we’re helpin’ Da make pancakes with chocolate chips! I think I’m gonna use my new gizmo to help Abby and Maddie make something for Da’s Day this year. They can’t write a card, but they can talk enough to say hi to Darien. I sure would like to know why he hasn’t been to Aunt Rhi’s to see them! I know he makes her mad and stuff, but she wouldn’t tell him that he can’t see his little girls. Uncle Gory wouldn’t either.

You know, something tells me that my big sister, Pearl, knows something about all this stickin’ Abby and Maddie in their own kind of princess tower business, but she’s not telling. She says we shouldn’t know what she does because maybe that’s not supposed to happen here. Bah-low-knee!

Anyway, school time! I’m goin’ over to Aunt Rhi and Uncle Gory’s later to play with the girls. I think I’ll take Max, too. Riddle will just have to behave so that the girls can play with their dog for a change. I wonder if Darien’s going to come and get him any time soon!
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

9 September 2014

Maggie turned the camera on and set it on shelf of her desk.

Hello! This is Maggie again! I have my camera recorder again! I’m very happy because we had a big show at the Shanachie again and I got to be the … leading lady, yeah, that’s it! I was playing Annie. The most fun was working with the dog that plays Sandy. Don’t make a misunderstanding here, I liked working with the people, too! But dogs talk to me in ways that people don’t.

Doran’s voice has gotten all funny and stuff. Mama says that happens to boys when they start growing up. So, I told Da that Doran was looking at all the pretty ladies and he said that’s normal, too. Aunt Rhi said stop worrying about it. Just because someone is growing up doesn’t mean they are any less your friend. So, I told Doran that I would always have his back ‘cause that’s what friends do.

I signed up for the Shanachie again. I really like the people there. They don’t down talk to me because I’m a kid. They just treat me like the rest of the cast. I learn my lines and my stage marks and some of them call me what’s that word? A trooper, yeah. Gran says that’s a good thing. Means that I follow through on stuff and work hard.

This summer we all went swimming in the ocean. It’s fun to swim because sometimes we get to visit with dolphins and other animals. We’re not supposed to feed them as it teaches them begging food from people is ok. That’s not a good thing because not all people are kind to animals. Aunt Nikki says that feeding them unless they are sick and need a lot of help is not good because they need to hunt for their own food. If they forget how to hunt, they can’t teach their babies!

I have to get my stuff ready for school! Bye now!
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

16 November 2014

Maggie turned the camera on.

I haven't recorded anything lately because I have been busy with school and the theater. I met the Grey Lady. I don't think she knows she's a ghost, but a lot of ghosts don't know that. Some of them over at Battlefield Park don't know they are either.

I played Dinah in "The Philadelphia Story." Dinah is the little sister of the bride, Tracy. She gets to be a little silly and stuff. Gran told me there was a musical show of the story called "High Society," so I found it and watched it. In that version, Dinah is called Caroline. Trivia fact! Grace Kelly who played Tracy in "High Society" named her older daughter Caroline.

Catie and Rick are learning cursive writing this year. Catie gets all fancy with the swirly curly ends. Rick says he likes it all right, but printing has all clean lines, whatever that means. They're gonna be seven on Christmas. Speaking of birthdays, Aunt Rhi and Uncle Gory have twins! They got a boy and a girl that got here on Samhain. Gran watched them for an hour or so last night so Aunt Rhi could get back on the dueling standings. She says she's outta practice, I say baloney to that. I was there to watch. Made friends with some crows. Well, maybe not friends exactly, but I sure didn't make enemies of them! They liked the seeds I had in my snacks.

Mama has a challenge match tonight. She likes being a Baroness, I guess. She says that it's important to do something to help people in the community and the district you have the title for. It builds goodwill. Da and Uncle Bertie's crew built a fire station in Old Market. Mama, what's the right word, consulted, that's it, with Mr. Ravenlock, who runs the Marketplace Chamber of Commerce. He told her where a station was needed. Old Market is prone to fires and all kinds of things, so, emergency stuff is a good idea there.

Speaking of Challenges, I read all the fuss over Miss Melanie's Seaside challenge. I just don't see how that snowball got so big so fast. That is something Gran says. She also says something about snowballs in the Underworld and Jacen's Da going ice skating, but that's another story. Anyway, I've used the cork for reading practice since I started reading when I was three. Why do grown ups have to make things so hard when they are simple? What I saw was the Baron of Seaside getting a challenge and saying that Miss Melanie could take the challenge back if she wanted so that she could use her prize. Now, even I know you only get seven days for a grant because that's what Mama got when Lady Morgan gave her one. How hard was it to say "I don't want to challenge my girlfriend?" That would be easy, right? Pretty easy to understand why someone would not want to do that. But nooooooooooooooo ... everybody had to put their cranky pants on because some people think it's everyone else's job to keep track of who is with who. I'm not sure what she means, but Gran says that some people in Rhydin change their sleeping partners faster than their underpinnings. Maggie giggles. Underpinnings is a funny word! So, to wind it all up, Seaside's Baron is banished to Renegade and the Overlady, Miss Terry King, is under challenge by, yep, you guessed it, Seaside's Baron.

So, I have a little problem. I wanted to be at the Great Hall for the Town Meeting since it's Mister Ebon's first as the new Governor, but I can't be there and at the challenge. Someone didn't think that date and time through. Mama, Gran, and I put our heads together to see how to work this. Unless someone checks dates and changes something, Mama's going to the Town Meeting and I'm taking Gran to the Challenge Match. She needs to get out of that stuffy old house. I kinda hope Darien will be there because I know she misses him a lot even though she pretends she's fine. Maybe I should ask Aunt Nicole if I can stay over at her place in New Haven for part of Winterfest break from school.

That wraps up this edition of ... what the heck should I call this anyway? Oh, yeah... This wraps up this edition of the world according to Maggie.

The camera clicked off.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

19 December 2014

The camera clicked on

Welcome to the World According to Maggie!

That challenge ended up with Miss Terry King winning. I was the Second for the challenger named Artemus. He's Sylus's brother and, what do you know, he also Errtu's Dad! I get to be his Squire now and I am learning to use a weapon called a glaive!

We went over to the Snowdown in the Glen this year! Gran went and took Abby and Madison, too. I like playing in the snow! Abby liked it fine, but Madison was shy. Miss Wyh was there. Winter is her time of year. Mr. Toby was talking to Gran about something; school, I think. Maurin, Reinette, and Selene are his girls. Their mom is called Tabitha, but I didn't get introduced because I was headfirst in the snow building thing with Abby when she met Gran. I wish Lynnie could have been there, too. She might like to meet some more kids! I missed having Doran there, too. His sisters weren't feeling so good, so, that was part of why.

Miracle on 34th Street; The Musical is the play over at the Shanachie for now. I get to play Susan Walker. Susan is a kid that had to learn how to pretend and stuff because her mother doesn't believe in teaching her fairy tales and things. I think Mrs. Walker would not be happy in Rhydin, that's for sure! Speaking of the play, while Gran was over at the Ball, some of the family was over at the theater to see me and Uncle Gory in the show! Aunt Rhi brought the babies, too! They had a box seat thing for the night, so, Abby, Madison, and the babies wouldn't be loud and all. Mama and Da brought Rick and Catie, but those two already know to be good. I think I heard Krusol up there, too! When the show ended, there were pretty flowers backstage. The card said they were for Mini-mate. That's me and they were from Captain Aja!

I started writing practice again. I thought writing letters would be more fun than just writing down stuff that I did today. So, I'm writing Lyneth and maybe it will help her writing practice, too.

Time to go help with the cookie baking!

The camera clicked off
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

8 March 2015

The camera was switched on. A smiling Maggie waved at the camera.

Welcome to the World According to Maggie! That's me! She jerked a thumb at herself. Next week is my birthday! I'm going to be nine years old! She stepped back from the camera and twirled to show off a short sleeved green party dress with a scooped neckline and flared skirt. Just because I don't always wear dresses doesn't mean I don't like them sometimes. I went shopping with Pearl and Catie. We got matching dresses, it could be fun.

I asked Aunt Ariana to make my cake this year. Mama usually makes it, but I thought she might like a special day off for a change. She says mothers don't really get days off, and the job starts before the baby gets out of the mama's belly. Maybe Gran will be home for my birthday!

Uncle Bertie and I have been watching what he calls old movies. They're all new to me! Ghostbusters is fun! I gotta tell you that real ghosts aren't exactly like that. Some just need help saying goodbye. I still think 'Doe, Ray, Egon' is silly! One of these days, I'm gonna explain that to Dris. He names his rings 'Doe, Ray, Mi, Fa' and so on like the music scale. You know, I wonder if Miss Mataya has had that 'Sound of Music' show at theater! I bet some of the kids from school would like to sing in it if she hasn't!

I got to watch Aunt Rhi duel with the Overlady, Kimone Kidd. She was asking who else wanted to duel and when I asked how she felt about dueling an almost nine year old, she said it would make her very uncomfortable. That's a lot nicer answer than some people have given me. I thanked her for that.

I need to get this dress put on the hanger and get my stable cleaning clothes on. It's my turn and Catie's to muck them out. Da and Rick's is tomorrow. Mama cleans them by herself. She says it's ... therapeutic. Kinda funny how that word sounds like it's got something stinky in the middle!

Bye for now!

Maggie waved and shut off the camera.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

30 Sept. 2015

As the camera clicked on, Maggie could be heard singing:

"There is a castle on a cloud,
I like to go there in my sleep,
Aren't any floors for me to sweep,
Not in my castle on a cloud."

As she came into view she was tying up her dark hair with a green ribbon.

Hi, it's Maggie!

Today, I am talking to you from my room at the Cardinal Inn. I'm so excited about this! I am the Baroness of Old Market District. I'm the youngest person to ever have done this! I already have the plans in gear for what they call an urgent care clinic to be placed next to the fire station that Mama had built when she was the Baroness here. It's on the western side of the district. Mr. Ravenlock made the suggestion to put it over there because the rest of the district had emergency workers ready to go. That's the thing about fire stations and all, though, can you really have too many of them if you space them apart? Doc Anya, Mama, and Da are going to help me with this. I have to write a formal proposal and all.

Andre Esmond accepted my request to become my Squire. I hope Porthos doesn't mind too much. I doubt he will since Andre is going to come to the Academy to keep up on his studies. Like me, he likes learning. Andre seemed very happy when Mama suggested to Porthos that he could continue his scholarly studies at her school and practice his weapons skills, too. I got the impression that Andre missed his books a lot. We have lots of them in the school's library. When he can read Common better, I would like to take him to the Rhydin Public Library. They have lots and lots and LOTS of books there. He seems to be sweet on Miss Eden Parker. I will do my best to not tease him about that. He has told me about his younger sister, Dani, and that I remind him of her. Maybe all of these things to do and making new friends will help him to not feel a lot of homesickness. No matter how busy we are, some part of us always will think of home.

Harris calls me Baby Baron. I don't mind that name, it sort of fits. He gave me something called a tomahawk. I have learned a few things about it. I haven't found much on how that kind of weapon got to Rhydin, but probably has a lot to do with Fayalki, he was a tribal shaman. Some people say he died; others say that he just faded into the legends of Rhydin. All I know is that for so many people to like that the botanical garden being named in his honor or memory is a big thing. People don't agree on much in this place, so, yes, it's a big deal!

Da is very busy building houses and still working on that big project for Wonderplex. He said they ran into some problems with the building material suppliers and he'd rather be explaining to his client why things are taking longer than expected than use poor quality beams and all. Doing the second thing could eventually cause people to get hurt or killed. Since the place is meant for kids, it has to be built to withstand a lot. It's just like the roof part of the garden building by the observatory took a long time because it needed to hold up in bad weather. Da got special stuff that won't shatter easily and can support a heavy snowfall. It would be all wrong to have people in there and have the roof crash down on them.

I've been busy with my school studies. I'm learning French, German, and Italian. I'm not very good at them, yet, but like Gran says, it's never a bad thing to be able to understand a few things in a lot of languages. I am taking a break from ballet classes this year. I don't know if I will continue them or not. I observed at Catie's gymnastics class and I like it ok, but I think I'd rather spend my exercising time riding Jingles. Gran says that horseback riding alone helps her to think better; it works for me, too.

The new theater season has started over at the Shanachie! I got the part of young Cosette in "Les Miserables." I have a nice song to sing called "Castle on a Cloud." Debbie Adkins, who plays Madame Thénardier, sings part of it. Uncle Eregor, Doran, and Lirssa are in the play, too; I like working with them. It's really fun to see what people you already know can do as actors and singers on a stage. I need to ask Miss Mataya if she will consider another workshop for Shanachie STARS, something for behind the scenes stuff like scenery making and costumes. I think that would be good idea because some kids, like Azure, are really good with sewing and creating stuff! The whole idea of STARS is terrific! I don't think a lot of kids realize just how much fun playing pretend with a big audience can be.

I started out recording my voice to learn to speak better and help remember things. I bought the camera with my allowance money and chore money so I could record my dancing and stuff when I practice for the theater. Mama thinks that this idea could help her other students with speaking and stuff. Very soon, we will be kicking off Channel KIDS, Rhydin, and it will be located in the basement of Harker's Academy! Mama says we could do what they call remotes from places like the Botanical Garden, Hatton Point, and Wonderplex. Maybe, it's a good thing I decided to not do gymnatics after all. Maybe I'll call my part, "The World According to Maggie." No ... maybe "Rhydin According to Maggie?"

Time for bath and bedtime before Gran comes to tell me it's lights out!

She waved at the camera before it clicked off.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

20 February 2016

The camera was turned on and a bright eyed Maggie was in front of it.

Welcome to the World According to Maggie! Boy, have I got a lot to say! So much has happened over the last few months. Last night, I had my fourth baronial defense and lost. Considering that a lot people don't get that far, I'm rather happy with getting that far! Lirssa is the new Baroness! I think she will get out and meet people in Old Market. I wonder if she will stay at the Cardinal Inn; it's a very nice place and the food is really good.

All I really wanted was to be taken seriously as a duelist, I think I have done that as Uncle Bertie says, "with style and then some." I had my fifteen wins over losses to be Warlord, but lost two matches. I hope this doesn't mean a slump is coming. Mama says those can be frustrating. I still have time to make Warlord before the big tournament. Battlefield Park is up for grabs to the winner! I think I would rather have the Barony than try for Overlord just now. I like most of the spirits up there and most of the Barons that know me seem to be ok with me wandering the graveyard.

As always, things at the Shanachie are fun! I took classes with the Stars and learned a few things. I got to watch 'Phantom of the Opera' from backstage. Some people think of it as scary, but to me, it's kinda sad. If you love someone and they don't love you, too, that has to hurt. Gran says that's called unrequited love. Uncle Gory played the Phantom. Everyone sang beautifully.

I went riding today with Doran. It was nice because today was my no responsibilities day. Well, other than taking care of Jingles and Trix. No matter what day it is they need to be fed and stuff. I like being able to just talk with my BFF. I think everybody needs someone that understands them. Doran already knows what it's like to see spirits and what it's like to know what other people feel. I don't have to explain it to him.

The West Side Old Market Emergency Center is open to the public. There's a shelter under the fire station and surgery unit under the the urgent care building. I think the whole thing is terrific! Teamwork did the job.

At Christmas time, Miss Sabine introduced the Baroness Beauty Bruiser collection of makeup. Catie and I had fun playing dress up and masquerade with the sets we got. It's really neat that one of the colors got named after me! I guess M-a-i sounds like my. I don't mind that as long as people aren't poking fun. My long name, or as Mama says my birth name, is Mairead and it's Irish. Not all of those names look like how they sound. I'm not Mai-read, like what gets done with books or like the color, red. I'm Ma-raid, rhymes with parade. Maybe it's a good thing they went with the Irish and not the Greek, that's Margarītēs. Instead of the lipstick being a pretty shade of ruby red, it might have been pearly white. Come to think of it, either would be nice.

I went to a date auction and got a date with Zack. It'll be fun to go on a picnic with him and his litttle girl, Addie. I was kinda hoping to win one with Terry King, too, because she's a very interesting person and I'd like to get to know more about her. I think she's had some difficult times in her life because she can be what Da calls rough around the edges. It doesn't mean she's a bad person, she's not. She just doesn't let people in right away like she's protecting herself from something. Underneath everything, she has a tender heart, but she doesn't always let people see that. I think I understand that. If you let someone that far in, they can hurt you, a lot. Maybe I should ask her if she'd like to have pizza at Aunt Nikki's or if I can visit the women's shelter she sponsors. I think she owns it, but doesn't exactly run it anymore. Pearl won a date with Mr. Ebon.

The last few months have been pretty good. Well, there was this one thing that stands out as pretty creepy. A guy they called Will was complaining that no one appreciates the first responders. I tried to explain that people do care and things were being done. I didn't mind him lashing out at me, but it made me feel ... weirded out? Creeped out? Something like that when he said something about advice, I think, from a kid that hadn't popped a pube, yet. What kind of weirdo says that stuff to a kid? What kind of person says that to anyone? How would he know if I have or haven't? I'm almost ten and starting to grow a little round in the top. Was he peeking in the showers at the arena to know who is growing what? It made me angry and upset; I'm not often either, and both at the same time is really rare. When I talked to Da and Mama about it, they were ready to hunt him down. Da hadn't had a temper flip in a long time. Mama, well, she was ready to beat him to a pulp. I told them ... I had a plan. Maybe he felt as icky when I was bidding on him at the date auction as I did when talked like he knew what I was growing on my body. I don't think he understood what was going on, but it sure made me feel better!

Time to get the animals settled! Until next time, this is Maggie Harker saying good night!
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

24 July 2017

When the camera was turned on, the location was revealed to be a small suite in the Cardinal Inn. Maggie had returned to the place after regaining the Old Market Barony through a tournament.

Hi, this is Maggie! It's been a little while since I've recorded my thoughts. Well, I write them down, but haven't done the camera thing for a while. I have grown some since last time; upward and outward. I turned eleven on my last birthday and I'm just a little bit under five feet tall. I have ' things growing on me! Yes, yes, I know, they're called breasts. Whoever invented the brassiere didn't do women any favors! What do you think happens if you keep something always strapped up? It won't be able to hold itself up anymore. Older women say it's gravity. Nope. Like any other muscle in the body, it has to be able to its job or it just flops around and is all mushy and stuff! Her expression was one of disgust and horror. Yyyyyeeeeeeeuck. I'm not even going to get started on those underwire things! How the heck can some Fey people wear them if there's iron involved?

Gran told me that many years ago the fashionable ladies wore something called a bustle under their dresses. I get that some people think humongous butts are attractive, but it doesn't sound comfortable at all to have to avoid sitting down until you undress! Then there's those corset things. Mama wears a leather one over her shirt when she duels. Some women wear them to, well, show off what all they've grown!

Uncle Heph made armor for me a while ago. It can't easily be seen until it's active; it also is not magic and doesn't react when there's a null magic person or place. He had to make it bigger and he found a way to make it grow with me.

When Aunt Nikki turned thirteen, her father's kin gave her some interesting choices for gifts. I guess it might be called a right of passage. My great grandfather and what should have been Zapphira's grandfather have already started brainstorming on what I should be offered. One of those things was being older, just a few years. I think Aunt Aphrodite put them up to that. I guess it'd be ok to be closer in age to my BFF, but if I did that, I miss out on some things. Would I really Maggie if I did that?

The camera was shut off abruptly as a knock on the door was heard.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

4 Jul 2018

The camera panned the beach on Harkers' Island. The people in a boat that had just been launched into the water waved as the viewer paused on them. On the beach, two small girls played in the sand. A third and older girl was helping them to build a sandcastle. After a while, the camera operator/narrator finally spoke.

Hello! This is Maggie reporting to you from Harkers' Island! This has been a busy year for all of us. Rick won first prize in a city math competition. He says wants to build stuff, but not buildings. More like engines and stuff like that. Mama said he might figure out how to make Uncle Draven's Lego Machine of Doom really work. I guess Rick realized that the toy market needs a little boost that way because all kinds of toy ideas started flying out of his mouth!

Catie came in first in her gymnastics competition and second in her jumping competition. Her horse wobbled a bit in the last run and nicked a rail. I'm not sure who was more upset, Catie or the horse!

Business is good for Da and Uncle Bertie. Da says they make a comfortable living. When I asked what that meant, Uncle Bertie said that they made enough money to put a little by for lean times, but were able to have the things they needed and some they wanted.

Time to build a castle!

The picture cut out.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

14 Oct 2018

The camera panned over the grounds of the botanical garden. Leaves of various colors had begun to fall from the trees. Several Collie dogs and children were romping about while several adults set up a picnic supper. As the camera fell on them, people waved.

So, Channel KIDS viewers, here we are at the Rhydin Botanical Garden. I think it's the prettiest building Da has ever worked on. There's a nip in the air or as my Gran says, "It's brisk." It's warm enough for a picnic today, so, a bunch of us are out here to enjoy it and the sunset before the first snow falls.

Colleen and Alinar are out here playing in the leaves with all the dogs. Diamond is here, too, but she's enjoying a sunny perch in one of the trees. That kitty's not fooling me with that one eye cracked open thing. She's watching over my little cousins like she always does. She leaves the running after them to Aunt Rhi, Uncle Gory, and Riddle II. I've seen her dive down and chase critters away from the kids. What she does after the beasties are away from the kids, I don't know, but I expect she has a tasty snack. Some day, I might just ask her. I'm almost fluent in Cat, but as Aunt Ariana pointed out, there are a lot of dialects just like with people.

Excited laughter came from across the way and the camera panned to find Brian Túr Gairdín using his parents' hands and arms for a swing. Maggie laughed, too.

Hey, that looks like fun! Brian's always a happy kid. Even he when started to get teeth, he wasn't grumpy! He might be walking by Winterfest; I hope he doesn't try to climb the tree! Rick did that, we have the pictures to prove it!

A sizzling sound came from one of the built in grills in the picnic grove.
You know what that sound is? It's hamburgers being cooked with Da's own seasoning recipe.

So, from the World According to Maggie, I wish you a Merry Samhain, Happy Halloween, and a terrifying Fright Night! For the adults in the audience, Mid-Autumn Festival celebration is called the Golden Gala bring held at the Golden Quay. Meanwhile, I'll be on stage with the Shanachie Theater Company until the twentieth of October in Six Characters in Search of an Author!
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Re: The World According to Maggie

Post by Mairead Harker »

January 2019 - Channel KIDS broadcast

The camera clicked on and showed an evening view of the snow covered street in front of Harker's Academy. The camera and its user were in a second story window across the street.

So, this is what a Snowpaclyse looks like! Mama made sure all the students got home safely, yesterday, before the big snowblower in the sky got into high gear. If you're going to be stuck because of snow, over a restaurant is good place to be! Aunt Nikki has a big apartment on the second floor with guest rooms. The third floor has sleeping rooms and bathrooms. After Hannibal, she decided to use the space like this because, sometimes, she has us kids over and some of the people that work for her have a long way to get home and are safer staying put. Some went home early, Mama took them all over the city as the Rover is built for snow and rough ground. We stayed with Aunt Nikki while the driving was going on.

I called Da and Uncle Bertie to let them know where we are staying. The ferry to our island stopped running early because of the weather. It's a good thing we have a fireplace at home because if the heater goes out, a good fire will keep part of the house warm. Mama said the big boys would be fine and, if the heat goes out, there are sleeping bags to toss on the floor near the fireplace. There's plenty of food in cans in the pantry and a back up system for the fridge and freezer to keep working.

The restaurant was open for the afternoon and for dinner time. There was a sign up that only soups, salads, sandwiches, and nonalcoholic drinks were being served. They were also for free, so I don't think anyone was complaining. The staff people that stayed overnight had the choice of working or staying up in the cozy rooms. Aunt Nikki said they would get double pay like they do if they ask for holiday work. I got to help wait on tables and even earned some tips money! Melly did, too! She came over from next door. Aunt Chelle closed her office and came over to spend time with us. We all had supper upstairs after closing time.

We're going build a snowman tomorrow! Have fun with your snowtime, but remember to dress warmly when you go outside!

The camera panned around the room as a bunch of Maggie's relatives and restaurant staff were chatting. The camera clicked off.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Personal Vlog - April 2019

What a way to spend April Fools' Day! Some things are not a joke and this sure wasn't one of them! I gotta say that I didn't sign up for bein' a bloody mess when someone decided I was going to be a girl. Don't get me wrong, I'm a female that likes to do things that are sometimes thought of as male activities. Sometimes, though, I like to dress up, be all prissy with my hair, and do that girly mani-pedi thing.

Sure, sure, I know some people were born one way, but their mind tells them they are the other. I've been meaning to ask Andrea about that. She wrote on the cork that she was born a man when Lord Karos acted like it was a big secret. It's not the part about having a woman's brain in a man's body that I don't get, it's the being born a man thing. I think she meant to say born a boy. Being born full grown would have been awfully painful for her mother! Aunt 'thena came out full grown and split my great grandpa's head right open! Serves him right for eating her mother, Metis!

This curse of Eve thing is just ... it's gross. I don't care how beautiful and natural they want to tell me this bodily function is, they can toss that out the window and fly out after it! Like other things I don't like, but have to do, I'll adjust to it. It's like doing math at school. You learn it, you get through it, and you cope with it when it crops up again. I know what it's all about, but it's silly to have a body and brain of a person that's not an adult, yet, but can have a baby. I know all about that bit about how life goes on and renews itself.

I swear to Zeus, the first person to make fun of me if I have a bloody accident is going to have a busted up nose! Let them see what it's like to be laughed at!
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

The camera did a fade in on the Channel KIDS logo.

Hello, everyone! I'm Maggie Harker.

Something weirder than usual is going on in Rhydin. I keep hearing people going on about how some or all of the town feels deserted. I guess they have forgotten that Rhydin is a Nexus point. Don’t get upset about this, kids! If you can find your home, your family and friends, you’re fine. If you can’t find them, that’s another kettle of fish as my Gran likes to say. There are safe places to go if this happens to you. A list will be shown and read off at the end of this broadcast.

The thing about living in or near a Nexus point is that we are all going on about our lives. Some might be five minutes ahead or years ahead. They might be streets away or miles away, but that doesn’t mean they are gone. They’re just where you can’t see them right now. The thing is, that’s how things have always been. Just because you can’t see someone on the other side of a wall doesn’t mean that aren’t there. It’s like a baby looking in a mirror. Babies don’t usually understand that there might or might not be a whole other world behind that mirror. Kids in Rhydin adjust because that’s what’s normal to us.

I read a book by Charles Addams where one of his characters, Morticia, says, “Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” This is a perfect way to explain life in Rhydin! Someone might be sitting next to you. You might not see them or they might seem ghostly, but it doesn’t always mean you are truly alone or that the ghost is really a dead person. It’s like trying to listen to a radio broadcast or watch a TV show, but you aren’t tuned in properly. Give yourself a little time to think and it will help you avoid panic attacks.

Until next time, this is the World According to Maggie!

A list of safe havens for children and teens scrolled on the screen as it was narrated.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Personal Vlog - 26 Sep 2019

Gran always says that every new baby should have a special welcome. Some of us are going over to see Aunt Marissa’s new baby, Dai, after school on Friday. We don’t want to wear her out, so, it will be small groups every couple of days. The mothers in the family have made it clear that baby birthing is a tiring experience and rest is needed afterward. Da says while Mama did the hard work of pushing us out that waiting and supporting someone through their labor is not exactly a picnic.

We gathered up some food and all to help make things easier. Some people might think bringing food and all along is telling people they can’t provide for their own family. That’s not the case with us. We’re a big family, Aunt Marissa, Uncle Emry, and their kids are part of it. As Gran says, “We take care of our own.” What I think she means is we take care of family first because she tries to mother most of Rhydin with the projects she supports. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just how she is.

I went baby shopping! Why not? I make my own money from guest roles at the Shanachie and from the sale of sports memorabilia. Got some plushies, blankets, and sleepers. I thought of giving Dai a future Baby Baron shirt, but I had his name put on one instead. Maybe it can go in a keepsake box when he outgrows it. Then again, there are plenty of quilts with those things sewn into them. That would be more practical, can always use a comfy quilt. I got a couple toys for the older kids, too.

There are other things going on, but I can’t change that Gran seems a little lost. Baby Dai’s arrival has lifted a lot of spirits, so, we’re all going to enjoy the time his parents allow us and spoil him just a bit.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Personal Vlog - 5 Dec 2019

The camera clicked on, The Shanachie Theater's backstage area was where the viewing had begun. The sounds of the voices speaking or songs being sung faded as Maggie entered one of practice rooms and closed the door behind her.

Lately, I spend a great deal of time backstage and here in the practice rooms. I hand out props and otherwise make myself useful. No one complains as long as don't get underfoot. In the theater, that can have whole other meaning than simply being in the way. You can literally be under someone's feet if they are dancing!

I enjoy dueling and I've been doing it for a long time, but unlike the majority of duelists, the people at the theater have been welcoming to having some kids and teenagers working among them. They want us to learn our lines, our songs, and the dance steps. In short, we're expected to put forth our best effort like any other member of the cast or crew. It's a team effort and if one person is off, it puts everyone off. It's a family in that way that families should support and help each other. Maybe the reason I feel happy here is that's how my own family works. Families have their squabbles, that's normal, but underneath it all is a sense of belonging and feeling like I'm home. I don't feel like I'm on the outside looking in.

The STARS helped me to be comfortable with speaking publicly. Mama says I don't lack confidence and never have, but there's a difference in being able to talk to people and giving a speech about some cause or other. I think Doran and I might have been the first kids to have applied to play children's roles. I like watching the little kids practicing their poems and all. Madison is a lot less shy thanks to STARS. Abby, though, is a born ham! Catie is concentrating on dance, she lives and breathes it. Rick seems to like that whole speaking thing.

As for dueling, some people are just ... well, the phrase I once used to explain was something like, they act like cranky babies with a mess in their diaper that no is coming to change for them. They don't have any idea what it's like to be in my shoes, but want to be critical of everything. I suppose one day they might understand, but some adults are pretty self centered and never will get it.

Then are people like Rachael that have made the effort to learn why I'm different and help me cope with some parts of it. I've been able to help with some of the missing children cases and to identify some of the unnamed victims. I don't go to the morgue, not because I can't cope with seeing dead bodies, but because I don't want my visitors frightened away. It's hard to get some of them to accept that they are dead, I really don't want them to be forced into remembering how they got that way. I do work with artists that create pictures of the spirits that visit me. Some can give names and details. They sometimes name others that are still alive and in need of help.

I keep asking myself if that's what I'm supposed to do. Why should I have to limit myself to only one thing?

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”