*Running Hot, Running Cold

Home of Izira Nyte and The Forgotten Layers Inn. Resting in an unnamed magical realm, the place is easier to find when lost if one is without the aid of a map drawn by the lady herself.

Moderators: Gren Blockman, Izira Nyte

Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Monday, April 7, 2008 eary morning - Played in IM))

It's morning, and Alain's dozed off again, dreaming of eating tacos with Governor Simon in a bowling alley and saying... nothing at all to him, actually. His arm is around Izira, fingers resting lightly upon her hair. It's one of the times Alain looks completely at peace with the world.

Izira slept on peacefully. In her dreams she sits amongst a collection of cherry blossom trees, petals slowly falling about her as joyful laughter floats on the air. In reality, she was curled up against Alain. Her pillow abandoned for the comfort of his chest, a hand was still settled on top if it-lifting with his slow inhale and exhale of breath. One silk pajama clad leg having escaped from the cover of the down comforter and now rested over it, balanced on the bunch of her other leg, the blanket and Alain's leg. The cat sat hunched down on all fours on the other side of Alain, silt green eyes watching the pair.

One eye cracks open, then the other, and he wonders how he went from tacos to cherry blossoms - and realizes, after a few moments, it was Izira's dream. Bright blues slide over her way, and he sees the top of her head just beneath his chin. He sighs softly and kisses her head... and realizes there are eyes upon them. Monsieur cat, he murmurs to Silas in greeting.

The feline purred lightly at the acknowledgement, rising to stretch out his front legs and displaying sharp claws in the process. As Izira woke, the feline hopped down from the bed. The faint sensation of lips touched to her forehead, followed by the sound of the feline had surfaced her from dreaming. Eyes hesitantly blinking open, as her hand tested the solid surface beneath it. It took a moment for Izira to remember why she wasn't alone in her bed, lifting her gaze to Alain.

He gets poked in the chest, and his hand drifts over hers as he smiles back at her, his voice still quiet. Bon matin, Izira.

"Good Morning, Alain." She answered softly in return. Her hand settled over his chest once again as his came to rest over hers. "Did you sleep well?"

"I think my dream had something to do with tacos, and there was no sinister context for them... so I think I slept very well." He plays with her fingers, idly. "Did you dream about cherry blossoms?"

"... I did." Looking up at him with a little perplexed frown, then she thought about the bond. Grateful that the dream had been innocent in nature. Her mind leaving that thought behind and taking up another, "How are you this morning?" Wondering after the exchange of the night previous.

"A lot better," he admits. "I was blindsided last night... I'll spend some time here and in Esperance, work out a game plan... and return to RhyDin." He flicks a little bit of hair back from her face, eyes wandering occasionally with little flickers. "I'm sorry I dragged you into that last night."

"I am not. You needed someone. I'm your friend and I will try to be there for you whenever you are in need of me, Alain." Spoken as she lifted herself into a sitting position. Her legs curled beneath her, hand taken from his chest and placed with her other in her lap as she looked down at him.

He sits up against the headboard, admittedly a little disappointed in the breaking of contact... but he reminds himself firmly of pacing. "I appreciate that, Izira," he says, bowing his head by degrees. "Know that it's a two-way street." He smiles. "If you need anything yourself, and I can give it to you... then I want to."

He meant it kindly, she knew. She should have said thank you and left it at that. But he had said he was better and they were alone for the first time in several days. She found herself in need of something - answers. "Alain..." Her voice started saying, eyes moving towards her hands. "Concerning your... break with Cassandra?"

His lips narrow, thoughtfully, not coldly, and he examines his hand also - though the left one only, as opposed to last night. "I think it's moved beyond a break now. We haven't spoken once since it started."

Beyond a break. Izira wanted to leave it at that, but she couldn't. She knew the way her own heart had acted before, how hard it was to let go and that silence between two parties did not make an understanding. Cassandra had not looked happy last night at the bar. "You haven't spoken... she might still think it is just a break?" She might think you could get back together... The thought causing her stomach to twist into a small knot.

"...I guess she could." He frowns softly. "I don't think she thinks that... but the heart can make you do interesting things." He breathes out a slow sigh, and adds, "I should talk to her... I just don't know when."

"I'm sorry, Alain. I don't mean to make things more complicated for you... it's just..." her eyes had lifted to him but they looked away. "I saw her at the inn last night and I was afraid to approach you in front of her." Then looking back to him. "If she still thinks there's a chance and I've..." She was having trouble finding the words.

"The problems Cassie and I have together have nothing to do with you - and they've been at work since before the relationship began." He looks at her. "This is in no way your fault... and when we do formally break up, it will be because one or both of us has decided it's for the best." He shakes his head, "Not because of you, Izira. ...But I guess it's wise if I'm cautious when she's around."

Izira looked a bit ashamed to have even thought that, but took Alain's words to heart. Shifting her sitting stance, crossing her legs before her. "Cautious?"

He grins somewhat bashfully as he admits, "I think I ought to keep any flirting in the Red Dragon to a minimum."

"I didn't know." A light smile, she looked away from him and around the room.

"There's something else I wanted to mention..." His fingers fiddle with the sheets. "Regarding what I talked about last night. If anything should happen to me..." He considers. "The people they see me close to - and they have eyes in the inn, image orbs and the like - could be in danger as well."

"How close?" A frown, far as the number of people that dealt with Alain went that would amount to a high body count.

"Anyone they think I care about. Anyone I might count as a lover or family..."

"If something happens to you... do you want me to offer those people sanctuary until those who harmed you have been brought down?"

"Only if you know you'll be safe here in spite of it." He looks at her. "It's you I'm worried about. I do care about you, Izira... and I don't want them to find out."

A hand lifted, pulling her hair away from her face thoughtfully. He cared for her, it was nice to hear. "You want me to avoid you in public so they don't suspect."

"I don't want you to dive out of the way, or not talk to me, or anything like that - but whatever happens between us... there shouldn't be any indication of how I feel about you, in the inn." He twists his lips. "I know how this might sound... but it's for your own protection. If anything happens to me, I want it only to happen to me."

"If something happens to you... well, that would be hurtful enough to me." She gave one nod of her head to him, "I will try not to give anyone reason to think there is more between us."

"I guess you can talk to friends... but... well." He rests his hand on hers, and gives it a squeeze. "Just be careful."

That mention of speaking to friends reminds her, "I told Eva and Rena you kissed me."

He nods. "I know them both - I'd trust them, and I'm sure you do as well."

She nodded silently. Turning her hand in his and squeezing it gently.

He leans over, a few curled fingers resting against her cheek as he kisses her temple.

Eyes closing at the delicate touch.

His own touch turns into a silent question, his fingers resting at her chin in turn.

A long pause, but her eyes eventually opened to look at him. Lids heavy, gaze soft. Her voice came out little more than a whisper, "It would be a bad idea... considering where we are."

He nods softly... fingers sweeping away a few inches along her jaw and then leaving. Then he grins a little to himself. "I probably have dragon breath right now, anyhow."

A soft chuckle. Her smile bright as she took in the look of him fully. She was very happy at the moment.

He squeezes her hand. "Probably similarly a bad idea... but I'd not be against wasting the day in bed." His smile matches hers, thumb running over the back of her hand.

"It would be nice. Right until one of your people get curious and wonder where breakfast is."

He takes her hand in both of his for a moment to kiss it, and then lets go to stretch out, forcing himself slowly to the edge of the bed, and his feet onto the floor. "You mind a little help in the kitchen?"

"Not at all." She stepped onto the floor herself, feeling the cool tiles against her bare feet. "Though I warn you I have been getting visitors in there sometimes."

He collects his toiletries and heads into the bathroom. "Like who?" Brushing noises ensue.

"Mostly the younger girls, sometimes a couple of the boys too." While he brushed his teeth she looked at her wardrobe, considering what she would wear today.

After a minute or so he snatches his backpack and digs out a t-shirt to change into - it has some faded words in Noubreton written on it, and it's also a bit small on him, an old shirt from a club in secondary school. He ruffles his hair a few times, packs his dirty (or dirtier) clothes into the backpack, and slings it over his shoulder. "Guess I'll head out first, if that's okay by you."

She gave a nod, setting a dress aside to change into once he left. "It is. I'll be out in a while." A pause, but she moved towards him. Giving him a kiss to the cheek that barely touched the edge of his lips. "Try not to scare anyone out of my kitchen."

He smiles at the kiss, and his fingers flirt with hers. "No promises." Quick wink after he says that, and he leaves her quarters.

Izira's soft chuckle can be heard after him, even as turns away to freshen up for the day.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Izira's Journal

Post by Izira Nyte »

Izira's Journal from Monday, April 7, 2008

If it was all a dream, I hope I dream it again... soon.

It’s easy to forget everything and just live in the now when he’s around. Even those worries that surround him vanish when he smiles at me. If only time would linger in this moment for longer.

Last night Alain slept in my bed with me. There was nothing else, just sleeping—and a thick cover between us. Such a simplistic thing, the heat from another’s body while resting. I don’t know that I’ve slept better in a long time.

In the morning he lingered, helped me with cooking breakfast for the hordes. I don’t know that he took me seriously about those that have been visiting my kitchen until they started pouring in and looking for things to do. All the girls are quite useful, there are a number of them and it is hard to keep track. Adèle and Christelle are the oldest two and helped keep the younger ones in line and on task. Corentin, bless him, seems to be over his head at times. When I came in this morning Alain had already put the boy to work. Though, I suppose he is not a boy… seventeen is nearly a man grown, or a man grown in some cultures. Still, he is a bit quiet and shy… why he willingly suffers the onslaught of girls in the kitchen is beyond me. Alain didn’t go easy on him either. It was all in good fun, but I fear his face may never return from the shade of red it became.

Today ended too fast. I regret knowing I will have to keep my distance away from Alain outside of the inn. But he is up to dangerous business and does not want me to fall victim because of it.

Here's to hoping he remains safe.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Moments at the Inn

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Saturday, April 12, 2008 near sunset - Played in IM))

The afternoon sun was sinking in the sky as Eva made her way to the Forgotten Layers Inn. She had a good sense of direction, but places of mystical or magical origins bewildered her scientific sensibility and she found herself consulting the map Izira had made up more often than she expected. As the Inn finally came in to view, Eva's steps slowed, pausing to admire it for a moment. It was entirely unexpected in some ways, more beautiful than she pictured, and yet it was also perfectly Izira. Eva's boots followed the stone pathway through the front garden and up the stairs.

Izira was puttering about the main room of the inn, lunch had come and gone and the clean-up for it had been finished a while before with several helping hands. Now she was checking the blooms that were set into glasses in the center of the tables, refreshing those vases that needed them. High heels clicked against the wooden flooring, today's black pair actually having a slight open toe. Her charcoal skirt was fitted, ending just at the knee and had a slit in the side that was held together by three smart looking back buttons. A white blouse with the collar undone at the first two buttons, looked more casual than messy. Her hair worn down, fell into her face as she leaned over to inspect one of the many flowers.

Eva paused a moment on the porch, looking out at the garden and the surrounding wilderness. She knew Esperance, the settlement everyone was talking about, was being built somewhere in the distance. She'd thought Tucker might have enjoyed working on it... helping people... but she hadn't seen him to suggest it. They hadn't really been seeing each other at all. Eva turned back to the Inn and pulled open the door. Her eyes skimmed over the room, taking it all in. Fresh flowers. Now that was something that the Red Dragon didn't have. Also didn't have Izira. Eva smiled. "Afternoon."

The sun could be put to shame by the smile that came upon Izira's face as she spotted Eva. Flowers in hand, she moved towards her friend, "Eva! You've come." The distance closed, she wrapped her arms about Eva giving her a familiar hug. "Did you have any trouble getting here?"

She smiled and returned the hug, turning her head to press a friendly kiss to Izira's cheek. "Not really." She shrugged her shoulders. "I had the map." She took a step back and looked around again, taking in more of the details. "This... this is really beautiful."

"Would you like a tour?" Asking as she moved towards the bar were a larger vase hand been left with water and placing the remaining flowers she held into the vase. A glance back at Eva as she expected a response, she distractedly put the flowers into some nicer array than that which they had originally been dropped in.

"I'd like that." Eva watched Izira. It wasn't that Eva wasn't feminine. She was. But she wasn't a homemaker or a hostess. She had nothing in her telling her what was the right or proper thing to do. Not like Izira. Izira's touch with the flowers reminded her of her mother.

"Then you shall have one!" Flowers left on the bar top for the time being, Izira returned to Eva linking an arm through hers. "This, of course is the main room. The bar. That door leads to the kitchen and there's a trapdoor behind the bar that leads to the cellar. Public restrooms through there." Her other hand moving around to point out the items mentioned, she indicated the little alcove where her piano and a currently empty tarnished silver bird cage hung from the ceiling. It was a very large cage, but Eva had seen at least one of the large birds that would rest there so it could be expected. "My piano. Mostly I only play it when I am alone, but at times I am convinced to entertain so I keep it out here. And that is where Hope and Light would be if they were about." Then Izira was stepping towards the stairway and bar. "Down that hallway are the conference rooms. Up there are the guest rooms. Would you want to see either of those?" She paused, considering... sometimes one guestroom was like another, so perhaps they weren't worth looking at?

"Oh..." Eva smiled, looking around at everything she pointed at, her shoulder against Izira's. "I didn't know you played the piano..." Did she want to see a guest room... a room was a room, wasn't it? "I don't think that's necessary... I'm sure they're nice... if they're as nice as all this..."

"I play. I sing too. But that is not common knowledge and I think we must keep it that way." A wide smile, she led Eva towards the break in the bar and into the kitchen. It was fashioned enough to make the truest of chefs jealous. It wasn't worth doing if you couldn't do it right, which was why perhaps Forgotten Layers didn't have a man-eating stew in the kitchen but spotless counters and cookware awaiting their time to shine. She pointed at one door while heading towards another, "That leads out to the kitchen's garden. I try to grow what I can here, though Alain's lot has put a strain on that." Her smile showing she had no hard feelings to the fact as she brought Eva into a hallway that eventually led to her study. The door open, the wide desk back by built-in shelves and floor to ceiling windows can be seen before entering. Upon entering there was the door to her bedroom to the left, white marble tile floors meeting the wooden floor at the doorway. To the right the room was broken by a fireplace that had a bear skin rug laid out before it. Beyond the fireplace a collection of arms chairs and couches surrounded a low coffee table... a perfect spot for smaller more intimate meetings or just to read. Still surrounded by those floor to ceiling windows. Another door that led out to the gardens was on the far side of the wall. "My quarters."

"Izira... this is... this is beautiful..." Eva let go of her friend's arm to walk towards the floor to ceiling windows, looking out at the afternoon, a warm yellow spring glow on the gardens. "This place is... really special... I probably shouldn't have expected anything else from you."

"That's very kind of you to say, Eva." Izira moved into the room, looking around herself. Even living here she often found herself lost within the many books and treasures all over again. "The inn, I think, had a good hand in it. Perhaps the land itself." Her voice soft, caring the love she felt for her home upon it.

A hand pushed through her hair, Eva turned back to look at Izira, with a smile. "Show me the garden... will you?"

She nodded, moving towards the outside door and opening it. Letting Eva exit before she stepped out after her and shut the door behind them. Just a ways from the door a rabbit hutch had been set up for the rabbit in Izira's care. A black rabbit with a reddish-orange patch on his forehead that almost looked like a flame. "I think Pascal would enjoy a venture in the gardens as well." Picking up the animal and holding him in her arms. He was calm being held, Small nose twitching as black eyes looked around. There was a path along the gardens, tall hedges and blossoming trees.

Eva reached out and gently scratched the rabbit's head as he settled into Izira's arms. "Hello, Pascal." And then started off into the garden with Izira. She breathed deeply of the cool spring air, and looked over at Izira as she followed the garden path. "So how have things been going?" Then a little more softly. "You seen any more of Alain?"

"I have." A short paused before she continued, "He stayed the night with me on Sunday. Sleeping, nothing else but nice. Helped me with breakfast in the morning, though there were many other hands and it wasn't quite the private situation." A soft chuckle, recalling the antics of those in the kitchen that particular morning. "Things are going well, I would say. How is life treating you? Did you keep your promise?" Following along side Eva as she carried the rabbit. Every now and then the path meet with a little clearing that would have a bench to sit upon. A couple with small fish ponds in view.

Eva glanced over at Izira, trying to read the expression on her face as she spoke of Alain, and then noted how quickly she moved on from the topic. She raised a hand to tuck her hair behind her ear. "My promise?" Eva searched her mind, and then flushed deeply. "Well... sort of... I was... pretty drunk... Faenix followed me home. Though I yelled at him the whole way."

"Faenix..." Repeating the name, It seemed a little familiar, "From the group that night, yes? Well at least someone went with you. Truly, you test your safety." And she followed that comment with a frown. "I know you have your gun and all, but I do not know how effective that sort of protection can be when you're not sound of mind."

Eva laughed and admitted it. "Not very good." Then she shrugged. "I guess... thing is... in my line of work... the usual...uh... trouble, tends to avoid me."

She paused, looking towards Eva. A hand moving from the rabbit to tuck a strand of hair away from the woman's face as she considered her thoughts and her friend. "I hope it remains that way. But know, for whatever reason, there is always room for you here."

"Thanks Izira." She took another deep breath, a hand reaching out to touch one of the passing bushes, feeling the leaves, then looked at her. "I'm happy in the Marketplace. I know I need to move... I know it's not nearly as permanent as a place like this would be... but... I like it there."

An understanding nod, she continued on. "Well, unless it becomes truly dangerous for you there you needed worry about me barging in and whisking you away from there." A light chuckle, following the flamboyant comment. She pointed towards a bench that was sheltered in shade, a patch of clovers some ways from it. "Shall we sit?"

Eva laughed softly, and then nodded. "That sounds nice." Then she glanced quickly at Izira. "The uh... sitting... not the whisking... although I'm sure that would be nice too..." She flushed and then settled on the bench, leaning back, her legs stretched out in front of her crossed at the ankles. "It is good to have a place to come to... I mean... this must feel like home to you... doesn't it?"

"It does. More so than anything ever has." She admitted, placing the rabbit near the clover to enjoy before joining Eva on the bench. Sitting with her legs also crossed at the ankles but curled under her and the bench, turned towards Eva.

Eva leaned back on her hands, watching the rabbit for a moment, and then looked over at Izira. "How long have you been here? I can tell you've put a lot of work into the place."

"Ten years? Around that. Hard to clearly remember the first days of my being here." Starting her response as she watched the rabbit, but returning her eyes towards Eva's gaze. "Long time."

A soft sigh escaped her lips, and she nodded. "Yeah. Ten years is a long time." She sat up a bit and tucked her hair behind her ears. "Long time."

Izira's brow perked at the expression on Eva's face as she considered the time. She didn't ask what Eva's history was, but her silence welcomed Eva to share if she wanted too.

Eva was quiet for a long time. She didn't look at Izira, she looked out at the garden, at the golden light filtering through the trees from the lowering sun. Then finally she glanced over for a moment. "I've never... really... really had a friend... I don't know what... well I don't know what kinds of things I'm supposed to tell you, and what you don't really care to know..."

Izira shrugged, tilting her head at Eva. "I care to know everything you care to share, Eva." A smile breaking her face, "It has been a while since I have had a friend to talk to as well. True there has been Alain... but.... girls are different." Her smile breaking further before going back to normal. "The truth Alain knows about me, I told to him for a reason. So he could do something for me, something I trusted him to do. He doesn't know all my past."

Eva nodded, looking at her. "The truth about your..." She wasn't sure how to say it. She held up a hand palm up as if she could conjure a flame in there too. Then she found the word. "Your power?"

"My gift." Izira agreed and nodded. "Yes. I needed him to find out who my birth father was, because he was obviously more than the traveling minstrel he played at being." Her smile soft at the joke, she left out the part about the death of one father by another and all that which followed. "Alain found out that simply put--my father's people are a race of elemental beings and I carry a gift for the flames."

Eva nodded, her hand falling back to her lap. She reached over and plucked a small white flower from a near bush, then twirled it between her fingers. "It's important to know where you come from. Are you in touch with your father now? Now that Alain found him for you?"

Her eyes looking off, taking in the horizon. "He found his body." Glancing back at Eva but for a moment before returning her eyes to the skyline. "I already knew he was dead. He was killed before I was born."

Eva watched her a moment, and then nodded. "I'm sorry to hear that. But I imagine it was helpful to learn what Alain was able to find out." The small flower spun in her fingers, then she set it down on the bench between them.

"It was. I have a handle on my gift now, after Alain's help." She smiled, turning back to Eva. The thoughts surrounding her family vanishing from her mind. A glance at the flower, she picked it up and twirled it a little mimicking Eva's actions.

"I don't... have much experience with those kinds of things... like magic and stuff... I'm much more comfortable in the uh... physical world..." She frowned because she knew that wasn't the right way to say it. What Izira did was very much physical, elemental as she said. Eva toyed with the bottom edge of her leather jacket. "Anyhow... you know what I mean."

"I do." She grinned, leaning forward and tucking the flower behind Eva's ear. Then canting her head to take a look, with the flower there it kept her hair from the scar she so often tried to cover and which Izira didn't seem to mind at all.

Eva raised a hand self-consciously and looked at her. A hint of color rose to her cheeks, and she fidgeted some more with her jacket. Then she suddenly turns more fully towards her. "Hey, are you going to the uh... engagement thingy... at Peredhil's place? For Johnny and Sianna?"

Izira broke into a light laugh at Eva's sudden jump of topic, then shook her head. "I don't know that I have met any of those people you've named. I was unaware of the event."

"Well... Johnny is the bartender who served us at the booth the other night. You know, the one with that great smile." As soon as she says that, she flushes again, and again raises a hand to self-consciously cover her scar, imagining it getting darker with all the blushing she's doing. "He's getting married, and his friend, Peredhil, is throwing a party. You should come with me. It could be fun. More fun if we're together anyhow"

Izira considered Eva's invite. Johnny had seemed a nice fello and she could be in agreement with Eva's assessment of his smile. But she didn't know if that qualified her to attend such an affair. Of course, if Eva was going and she was her guest there was less issue with the matter. Izira thought a night out with Eva would be fun. "I will come with you, then."

"Oh great!" Eva grinned, and then sighs with relief. "I hate going to these things alone. The opera opening was total torture. I was sitting next to this old woman who took pity on me." She looked at Izira, and then tugged on her jacket. "Oh but this one won't be like that. It'll be fun... and I'll get to introduce you to more people."

"But you'll pace yourself, won't you?" Thinking of the plunge of social-ness she'd gotten then last time and how well that had gone. Well, really it wasn't the group’s fault that the ex of the man she'd been dealing with had come in. Nor that Alain had appeared with his internal crisis. Even with dealing with those at the inn, somehow dealing with people outside of her position as an inn keeper made her nervous at times. Perhaps because she felt safe at Forgotten Layers and not always so beyond the barriers of her home.

"Yes, I promise to pace myself." Eva smiled a little guiltily. "I promise you won't have to worry about me." Then she looked over at Izira. "Tucker might be there. Johnny has the shift after him."

"Might he?" Izira bit the edge of her lip, already considering what she would wear and what her friend might be wearing. Though she didn't voice the plan she was formulating far as Eva's evening attire was concerned. "Have you gotten to see him recently?"

Eva shook her head, reaching up to take the flower from behind her ear, letting her hair fall back into place over her face. "No... we're... taking some time apart from each other... but it would be nice to see him... if he happens to be there..."

"Even if not we will make the most of the evening." Nodding her head in firm agreement to her statement, smiling towards Eva.

Eva nodded in agreement. "Yeah, of course." She sighed and smiled faintly. "I guess I should be going then anyhow... need time to get ready." She impulsively leaned towards Izira for a hug. "I'm glad... I'm glad you're my friend."

"I feel the same, Eva." Hugging Eva, this time she was the one to lightly kiss the other's cheek. "I will see you later then?"

Eva nodded, and smiled, exhaling as she straightened up, and then stood. For a moment, she seemed entirely at ease. "Thank you for having me, Izira. I'll see you tonight." She raised a hand, then rubbed it on her thigh as she started to make her way down the path around the side of the Inn to leave the way she came.

"Anytime, Eva." Came Izira's response, watching as Eva made her departure. She thought she would stay and linger a while before getting ready. Pascal still seemed to be enjoying himself, nearly hidden now in the shadow of a bush. Better to let him wander out than to submit to a game of chase just yet.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Moments Away from the Inn

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Saturday April 12, 2008 at Night))

After going to the Engagement Party held for Jonny and Sianna with Eva, Izira met with Alain outside of Silver Mark so that he could walk her home.

It takes Alain a couple of minutes to find his backpack and cram everything he needs into it, and then he's joining Izira at the front door of the Silver Mark. Once certain it's late enough and dark enough (i.e. no demonic lawyers to spy on them), he offers his arm to her. "Ready?"

"I am." Slipping her arm into his, feeling the closeness that the bond gave her to him. "How was your night, Alain?"

Troubling - at one point he hurled a glass against a wall. It has something to do with those evil men he has to work for... "Very interesting. I met a strange little woman named Tara." He lifts his chin a little, smiling to himself, banishing the more troubling thoughts. "She asked if I would kiss her."

She felt the darkness beyond but did not allow it to distract her. Alain knew if he wanted to speak of it she would listen. Instead she focused on what was said, raising a brow at him. "Did she? Doesn't sound like she wastes any time." She smiled fondly at him.

He nods to Izira. "I weaseled my way out of it through cunning and wile." That's an outright lie, and he amends, "Or by continuing to say I'd do it later and escaping outside for a cigarette."

"And if you see her again?" A light-hearted chuckle, glancing at him from the corner of her eye, "Which is very likely in this city."

"I'll make sure to have a cigarette handy," he smiles at her, giving her arm the lightest of squeezes with his own. "A private eye has to be a masterful escape artist."

"Perhaps smoke bombs would make a good gift for you, to help stop unwanted attention." She continued, voice light. It had been a good night, after all. "Unless you already have some..."

He actually has to think about this, dipping his head thoughtfully. "...I think I have a single smoke grenade left over, tucked away in my room at the Red Dragon somewhere." He pauses. "No, I think Jewell has it - she never returned my grenades from the night she thought she'd need them."

A brow rose, but no question was asked. "A grenade sounds a touch more serious than what would be needed to fend off unwanted advances. Unless it was a horde of women." Another light chuckle, a wide smile towards Alain. "If that is the case..." Leaving it open for him to respond.

"Now, Izira - for what other reason could the Division possibly keep an armory?" He grins at her, and then looks ahead and heaves a sigh. "At the moment, I am, regrettably, defenseless."

"Don't worry, Dear Alain," A playful smirk coming upon her face, a touch of mischief in her gaze. "I will protect you."

He looks at her expression appraisingly. "...But protection always comes at a price. I work in the security business, I know this for a fact."

Thinking towards the behavior of one of the merchants she deals with, she responds in a manner much like he brought to mind, "Price, what is price? Money? Favors? Fair exchange. Trust, Alain, trust." Patting his arm as she finished. "Would I steer you wrong?"

His lips curl in a smile. "Why, Izira - I didn't know you were such a savvy merchant."

"When I deal with so many?" Giving Alain a knowing look with a smile, "Pick up the tricks or fall victim."

"Could be said of any profession." He looks over his shoulder at RhyDin as they leave it, always loving the sight of the city from afar. "Even a bookie." Lead-in to a story...
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Moments at the Inn

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Saturday, April 12, 2008 late night - Played in IM))

Izira listened closely to the tale and those that followed, as they made their way through the paths leading to her home. Her soft laughter filling the air from time to time, her smile was bright as the inn came into view. Her umbrella dangled from her wrist, coat tight about her still. The dress bag she had carried to Eva's she had left in the woman's care. Hopefully she would avoid getting blood on it and would have it for other occasions if needed. Lifting a finger to wipe away a tear that had formed while laughing, Izira looked towards the inn, "Home sweet home." It could be heard in her voice, Izira truly loved her home.

Alain's developed some fondness for the place himself. When the volunteers from Esperance aren't around, it's often very... quiet. And he's a great lover of silence. "Good - and I don't think I'll make it out to the site until lunchtime." He squints at the dark sky overhead. "I don't know how I manage to alternate two sleep schedules..." When they reach the door, he holds it for her, leaning against it, and smiles down at her.

"With skill." She said, sliding by him and into the inn. The ravens were inn, sleeping in their cage. Silas was nowhere in site, nor was anyone else in the inn except for them.

The detective also looks for the cat but doesn't find him. He shifts the backpack over his shoulder as he moves across the room, but pauses when he's still very near to her. "Sleep well, Izira." There's something playful in his smile when he looks down at her.

Shivers ran down her spine and up her arms. Her voice quiet, as eyes gazed up to him. She knew where she would like to sleep tonight, but was staying true to giving him space and time. "You too…"

Sex is not on his mind - okay, maybe it is a little bit - but is not his intent when he reaches out to touch the side of her face, cupping her cheek in his hand and taking a step closer.

The brush of his hand, her head tilted upwards towards him. In her eyes and through the bond her feelings were clear. It was not a sexual desire she sought to satisfy, but an innocent need. Izira longed to be held in his arms, to wake safely next to him and hear the gentle beat of his heart. It was all touched with a fear of it too. Alain had to know that she had never been more revealed to another. Her past, all that he didn't know yet, was at his fingertips to learn. Izira had been hurt, she'd been used. But she had survived. She was strong and frail at the same time.

Wave after wave of her feelings wash over him, and she can feel in turn his sympathy, his desire to understand her and to be understood by her... and a quiet marveling at her strength. "You're beautiful," he murmurs to her, and closes the distance to kiss her gently, fingertips brushing her hair back from her face and resting upon her jaw.

The smile from his words was covered by the kiss. Her heart leapt at those words. Not just the words, but his voice and presence as he said them. The touch of his hand and the flow of his emotions. Their lips connected, one hand lifted to touch his chest as she leaned into the kiss. She gave her lips completely to him.

He is slow with her, though more confident than and not quite as curious as their first kiss. Her lips are pulled gently by his and his hand drifts from his jaw to rest along the back of her neck. He teases a little, almost breaking, only to brush barely along her lower lip, draw her forward and then press in again.

The umbrella that had been hanging at her wrist clunked to the ground and out of the way during the teasing near-break. Free from the weight of the object, her other hand is free to touch him. Fingertips brushing over his arm. She stood there, kissing him in her short coat and black peek-toe heels.

His head tilts and angles to deepen it, his other hand resting at her waist, and his backpack joins her umbrella on the floor. After a while, his tongue gives a tentative flick, though his tongue ring is not yet felt. His thoughts remain much as they were before, but take a slow turn towards lust, considering her neck and ears and holding her closer - wondering how she reacts to passionate touches.

How would she react? She would break, she would submit, she would succumb to desire perhaps even in this very place if pushed so far. First his unsaid thoughts, then her rampaging answer of Alain taking her in full. Her legs weakened, her body became warm with it. Izira broke the kiss, yet remained standing close enough that his hand was still on her waist. There were reasons she stopped. One in particular she did not want to give voice to, but he would know it. Cassie. It felt like a pendulum swinging over them. He had not spoken to her further on the topic of his relationship on a break.

He pauses at the break of the kiss - his head bows, forehead touching hers. "...I know. I need to end it formally - I know it's what I want to do." His voice is quiet, and his hands move to her back instead, rubbing slowly, gently.

She gave him a silent agreement. It was what he needed to do if it was what he wanted. Not for her, but for himself. Izira moved closer to him, resting her head against his torso. Quiet for a while, just feeling him there with her. Thoughts wandering, from him to a single him, to thoughts on singles and what she knew of RhyDin. "Alain... when you do - break it off - will you want to be with.... others?"

He pauses, thinking on that, and shakes his head slowly. "I know where I would want my heart to go..." To Izira - she can feel that answer. "...but as far as sharing my bed..." His lips tighten on it as he thinks again, but the answer won't come to him. "I can't be sure." He raises his hand to stroke her hair slowly. "I guess it would depend in part on what you wanted..." There's the hint of a question in his words.

Moving her head to look up into his eyes. There is a battle in her thoughts, what she wants, what she thinks is fair. "I would want you to myself, Alain." It was the truth. Though, part of her felt saying so could force him into something he wouldn't want. Then again, they had not taken that step... if he didn't like that idea he didn't have to start it. "Would you be comfortable sharing me with another?" Curious.

"I'm not sure," he admits. "If he were a good man... then maybe. But I think it's too early for me to tell these things... They'll become clearer with time." He touches the delicate curves of her ear with one finger, watching her eyes. "What I do know now is that I care about you... and I want to be with you. But I want to be sure I end it formally with Cassie at a time when it hurts her the least."

A tinge of sadness touched Izira's eyes, mingled with worry for Alain. "If she's not ready to let go, Alain, I fear there won't be such a time."

"If she shows no sign of letting go... then the best thing I can do for her is end it now." His hand finds hers, fingers lacing, and he smiles down at them as he speaks quietly to her: "I want so badly to throw myself at you... but there's wisdom in your choice to wait."

A humored smile at his words, hands giving his a squeeze. "Wisdom, but little release."

He nods slowly... and then looks up... that playful look returning to his smile as he tilts his head. "Still, though... would it hurt so much to test the sturdiness of the kitchen counter - by making out on it?" His intentions are pure - well, relatively speaking. Pure in that he'd plan to stick to first base if possible, and certainly no further than second.

He won from her soft laughter and a brightened smile. "It might. I don't know how well my dress would hold up in such a venture." Lifting up on her heels and giving him a brief kiss to his lips.

"Against it, then," he says, giving her another kiss, fingertips resting on her chin, still smiling.

A considering look was given to him, it was a tempting offer. Would it test their control or break it? She stepped away from him, moving towards the bar. As she moved, her hands undid the tie to her coat and removed it slowly. The lowering dark fabric of the coat revealing the body of the dress as it went. Sleeveless at the top with a close collar that didn't leave her chest exposed. Black laced hugged her figure before breaking into a soft golden fabric and again into the black lace until the hem line that ended just above her knees. A glance back at him over her shoulder.

He's completely still, just watching her... until that come-hither look. A grin cracks his face, and he follows.

She hung the coat on a hook behind the bar. Lingering for Alain and offering him her hand as she placed her back against the kitchen door to open for them.

He raises his eyebrows mildly as he passes her... and then takes her hands, laughing as he steps back against the counter and pulls her suddenly into him, the move aimed to throw her off balance but keep her balance himself...
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Moments at the Inn

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Saturday, April 12, 2008 late night - Played in IM - Continued))

It started slowly at first. The two learning the movements of the other's lips. Soon instinct takes over, guiding their hands and lips. Soft sighs and moans escaping from their forms, though the actions had gone no further than heavy petting. The sounds were given more to a growing desire than one that was being completely satiated. Alain’s shirt was undone, allowing Izira’s hand to traverse the scarred plain of his torso and back. He introduced himself to the soft curves of her body from over the fitted dress. Need grew. Izira’s dress was undone and pulled slightly down to expose the sheer brazier she wore. She caught her hand grasping the band of his jeans, realizing she was seconds away from going to far—she pulled away.

"Sorry," he says softly, after a silent moment.

Smile soft, she steps towards him again. Kissing him gently, a hand against his cheek. "Don't apologize. I stopped because I was about to forget myself. You have that effect."

He pauses again, and then grins and teases, "Yeah, I have that affect on people..." Arms loop around her waist, though his intent is less serious than before.

"You, perhaps." Tilting her head and looking up to him. Resting her arms around him.

His expression softens, and he kisses her again. "I can feel spring pretty strongly tonight... We'd better go to separate beds."

"Yes..." She agreed softly, if not completely happily. But she smiled and stole another kiss from him. "Sleep well, Alain." Forgetting her umbrella out in the main room, she planned to retire from here.

He's a bit sharper - he knows crime scenes, after all. "Don't forget your umbrella," he advises, kissing twice beneath her chin on her throat just to be mean, then on her lips and breaking away, to collect his backpack. And his shirt. And his coat. These are all important.

Of course, she followed him out. Half watching him as she sought out the umbrella. The line of his back and the flex of his muscles were taken in, all to come into play for a very elaborate fantasy later.

He buttons up a few of his shirt buttons, carelessly, and heaves his backpack and coat over one shoulder. Then he grins easily, making his way over to her to steal a very long kiss, fingers gathering hair at the back of her neck. He lets go finally, and smiles: "Sweet dreams."

Umbrella in hand, she returned the kissed. Lips breaking from his when he pulled away with a smile. "You as well."

He watches her until he's halfway up the stairs, and finally looks away. When he's at his door, opening it, someone addresses him in French, and after a long pause, he replies. A few more things are said, and at last he shuts his door, and someone else shuts theirs.

When Alain was out of sight Izira made for her own quarters. Umbrella and coat in hand. Waiting on the bed for her was a large feline, purring loudly. "Not a word, Silas. Not a word." Said as she shut the bathroom door behind her.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursda April 17, 2008 Evening - Adapted from RoomPlay))

It was a nice day outside, Izira enjoyed the warmer air and the sun as she made her way towards the inn. Peek-toe black heels were worn upon her feet. Her pencil skirt, also in black, ended just at her upper calves - a slit to one side kept together by three small black buttons. Her top was a white blouse, fashioned to fit neatly against her torso. The collar, v-necked, opened to show the flesh of her neck and collarbone. Smooth steps up on to the porch and across, she opened the door and moved into the inn. Amber-brown irises giving a glance about as she cleared her form from the doorway and made towards the bar. Spotting a familiar face behind the bar, she gave a smile to Alain upon her approach but refrained from waving or nodding to him.

Alain was suddenly over the bar in a flash. One finger held up to Izira—indicating to her to hold on, she watched as he cocked his fist back and swings a punch at another man’s jaw. The man was dressed something like a pirate.

It seemed Izira had walked into one those scenes that too often played out at the inn. She followed the action with a silent frown. Her brow bent with concern but she remained standing near the bar.

Another woman approached the two, wearing a costume of a belly dancer. Words were being passed between the three, an eye was upon them, Izira carefully moved behind the bar. Though once behind it, she wasn’t sure why she went behind the bar as she was too intent on the action of those arguing to bother getting down a drink.

She relaxed somewhat when Alain moved away and returned to the bar. His lips tightened. "Sorry you had to see that... I don't know how pirates do things, but I don't care much for my friends being spat on."

A brow was raised at Alain’s statement. She didn't say or ask anything about it, however. She wasn’t here, she didn’t know the details to take a stance and she wasn’t sure she wanted to know the details either. A glance cast back to the other and then Alain again.

Then the other man left and the costumed woman that had joined the two motioned Alain to her. Alain looked to Izira then to the other woman, before moving towards her as silently requested.

Again, Izira was quiet, though she wondered who the woman was. She turned with attention slightly split between Alain and the bar to take down a good bottle of bourbon.

"You know I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't deserved it."

“I am now in the very awkward position of having to explain to my best friend why I just slapped her husband. In trying to diffuse the situation I think I may have made it worse.” The woman said, shaking her head.

"...You hit your head?"

Izira took down an empty and clean glass, moving out from behind the bar making way towards a booth with bourbon bottle and empty glass in hand. Still, Alain was watched covertly.

“No, I am not going to use that as a cop-out, Alain. Jewel is likely going to be very cross with me and for good reason. I would not want someone slapping my husband. Clearly, he's mad.” The woman’s eyes left Alain and moved towards the door, “I am wondering if I should go after him. What if he tangles with someone more powerful? He might need help.”

Alain sighed, leaning on the bar and rubbing his forehead. "Then just tell her the truth. He's snapped, and it didn't occur to us until after the fact."

“What did he say to make you sock him in the jaw?”

"He called Jade a bucket - you don't want to hear the explanation - he called Chase a slut - he gave Locke hell and then spat in his face."

“Oh, dear. I feel awful. I have never seen him like this, not even before he married Jewelsie and him and I were involved.”

Silently, Izira slipped into the booth. A slight ear was open to what she could hear, but not knowing most of the people involved she was hard put to give any faces to a name. The bourbon was open, a two finger portion poured into the awaiting glass.

The woman frowned and tapped her bottom lip, “I am very concerned for Stephen despite what he said about me. I know he did not mean it. I hope you can all forgive him.”

"We're not even sure he's insane, Tara." Alain responded with eyebrows raised. "Sometimes, people just decide to be dicks."

“No, we are not, you are correct but knowing the man as I do I can say he would not just go off on a tangent like that without good reason.”

"Then either he's gone insane, or something happened to really piss him off."

“I am also very concerned for Jewel. I still have yet to see her since my return.” The finger still tapped upon Tara’s lip, another glance towards the door. ”I do not like this, Alain. I am going to go after him. If my Aunt Nyx comes here, will you tell her what's happened and to get word to Jewel that I would like her to come stay with me until we can figure out what is wrong with her husband?”

"These things have a way of sorting themselves out." Even with those positive words, Izira noted the frown upon Alain’s face. "I'll pass word along to Kitty if I see her."

“Thank you.” The woman said, starting towards the door. Then suddenly, she whipped around back to Alain. “By the way!”

Izira crossed her legs. The action brought her skirt up to her knees. She considered that a book would have been an idea, but pushes the thought aside. Bourbon lifted to her lips, she watched the room over a slow sip.

The woman struck a pose with one un-sunned hand perched provocatively on a hip left bare by the outfit she wore. ”I wore this outfit for you!” She giggled and shook her hips, causing the bells of the belly dancer costume to jingle.

Izira caught that comment. Her face registered nothing. She saw Alain blink in response. Izira refused to give herself up to self doubt, or second-guessing. She took another drink of her bourbon.

“Oh, say you like it Alain! I went to such trouble!” The woman went on, pouting at him.

"...I was actually so concerned with Stephen, it didn't register you were dressed as a belly dancer. It's beautiful."

“I have lots of costumes!”

"I'll bet." Watching Alain, Izira could slightly pick up on his discomfort.

“But I think I should go now. He's probably halfway across town by now.” She said, blowing Alain a kiss. ”Be well, Alain!”

Alain lifted a hand to wave as she left.

“Bye everyone!” She graced everyone else with a wave, leaving quickly from the inn.

With the woman gone, Alain rubbed irritated at his face before making his way towards Izira’s booth to join her.

As Alain came within hearing distance, "I often wonder why I bother coming here at times." The glass of bourbon she held was set down and slid towards him, "Didn't think to get another glass, you don't mind do you?" Her voice was a little detached, asking if he minded sharing her glass. His warning from previous nights taken to heart—the inn had eyes everywhere.

"I can get it," He offered, remaining standing, though he did not block her way.

"Or you could save us both the trouble and share a glass. But true, you don't know where I've been." her voice a light jest.

Alain took a seat across from her, taking a sip of the bourbon... and then he grinned. He chuckled softly and passes the glass back to her. "You know damn well your germs don't bother me."

Picking up the glass and taking a sip, she watched him over the rim. Setting it down, it was once again pushed towards him. "Such flattery. No wonder there are hordes of women after you." a quirk of a smile to her lips. A joke from Saturday night, though Izira was starting to think she would be unable to protect him from those hordes.

"...What's up, Izira?" His expression read, ‘What's wrong?’

She blinked at him, puzzled. A hand reached out to touch his hand. Through their bond she conveyed that little was wrong. She was just taking his words about being careful in public to heart. Though, there was also the curiosity of the woman with the many costumes. "Nothing is wrong, Detective. Perhaps your little mingle threw you off a mark?" Her smile warm towards him with her joke.

"Sorry, I'm a little off my game..." He smiled at her. She could feel he wanted to be more affectionate than this... but he was also mindful of being cautious in public. He gave her hand a squeeze, holding onto it a few moments before withdrawing his. "Have you heard the news from Esperance?"

She shook her head, taking her hand back and topping off the glass between them. "I have been away since just after breakfast."

He smiled more, taking another sip from the glass and passing it back. "They're finally pulling out silver. Nearly threw out my back doing it - in fact, I'm pretty sure I did - but we brought it up out of the shaft."

"Many congratulations." Picking up the glass, a little twirl given to the contents and she watched the contents swirl. "Far as your back goes… I believe there is a talented masseur at the inn that could assist you with that."

"One of the Noubretons?"

"Hm." She considered a moment if she would tell him it was her she had been speaking of, or toy with him a moment. Looking to him, she canted her head. "One of the big, strapping ones. Very talented hands." Her smile would give away the lie.

"Sounds like my kind of man." Alain said with a grin. "I should probably head out soon and find him before he goes to bed... On a completely unrelated note, what are your plans tonight?"

Her smile widen as his response, muted laughter in her eyes. "This is it: A break from the inn, a drink."

"...Give me that bourbon." Alain said with playful eyes.

"Why? You don't look very thirsty" The glass in hand, she held it close to her lips.

"Parched. If you hadn't recommended an excellent masseur already, I'd tell you that you needed to watch out." He grinned.

"And what would I be watching for?" raising a brow at him. A heeled foot delicately moved against his lower leg as she 'adjusted' in her seat.

"A foolish young man with spring in his heart who might sweep you up into his arms."

"Tis the season for it." a soft chuckle, she set the bourbon down and slid it over to him.

His eyes are on hers as he takes the glass, saying, "Well said." The drink quickly throw down his throat.

Izira’s hand reached out to tip the bourbon bottle ever so slightly. It was nearly a full bottle.

"Oh, you've got to be ****ing me." He didn’t sound truly angry, but still. "...I'll make you a deal."

Laughter bubbled from her at his first response, she smiled at him and gave him an expression to show her eagerness to hear this deal.

"We'll drop by the Silver Mark..." opening his hands. Any bottle your heart desires."

"A very fair sounding deal." Izira said, closing the bourbon bottle, "I wonder what strings are attached."

"You introduce me to this masseur, and make sure I'm given as much time as I need."

"Need or want?" A wide smile.

"In this context?" collecting his coat and standing, "Those, Izira, are one in the same."

Izira heart skipped a little beat at his words. "Then it shall be so, Detective."

He grinned, though he kept a physical distance from her while in the inn. The place has eyes, after all. He moved to the door with her, holding it open. She gave a nod of thanks, she slipping through the door with him and into the night.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday April 17, 2008 Evening Continued))

Izira made her way from the Red Dragon to Silver Mark with Alain, the night's air cooling down the warmer temperature of the day. Her hair was done and the short full breezes moved her hair and the loose collar of her top. Occasionally, she would look at Alain from the corner of her eye as a faint smile graced her lips. In a brushing touch of her hand against his, he would know her to be happy at that particular moment in time. Though, deeper there were things she wanted him to know and a longing to know more about him. Still, for that moment, the uncomplicated silence was more than welcomed.

He smiles also, enjoying the silence, and then opens the door to the Mark, nodding to the 'tender on duty as he holds the door for Izira - "She gets her pick of the liquor," he explains.

"Your best bourbon, please." A smile to the tender behind the bar, she glanced back to Alain after entering and making her way towards the bar. "Something you tuck away for special guests?"

The 'tender moves off to collect the indicated bourbon, and Alain grins proudly. "We've got a pretty decent selection here..." He up-nods an off-duty Watch lieutenant who waves at him from a table. The bourbon arrives in front of her—an old Kentucky bourbon.

"Thank you." Given with a kind smile to the tender, then her eyes travelled the interior of the Mark before returning to Alain. She stood before the bar, but hadn't taken a seat yet. Noting the wide selection of bourbon and scotch, but not much for wines. "Not a fan of wine?"

"I like it okay, but my clientele doesn't care for it," he answers truthfully. He watches her linger by the bar a moment. "Did you want to go back to the Layers, or...?" In his defense, his back is really sore.

"’Or’ is good." She nodded to him to lead the way to 'or’. Lifting her glass to her lips for a drink. "You haven't given me a tour yet, after all."

"Here works," he nods. "I won't show you the cellar, though... that's where we had the, ah..." He lowers his voice. "...demon problem." The 'tender winces, apparently somehow involved in the demon problem.

"The problem has been seen to?" A glance from him towards the tender and then towards the floor beneath her peek-toe black heels.

"I shot it with a holy bullet and it exploded," he says with a firm nod. "We tried saying its name again, but it didn't reappear, so we assume it’s dead." RhyDin's such a strange and funny place...

Bourbon in one hand, the other reached up to pull her hair away from her neck a moment. "Would seem a safe guess."

He pours himself a glass from the bottle and sips it. "...I've been in RhyDin too long." He looks over at her. "I said all that without missing a beat."

A soft chuckle, she leaned towards him lowering her voice. "Not at all, Alain. You've been in RhyDin too long when you have stories that begin with 'I was wandering the city in a stolen bath towel' and end it with 'And that is how I lost my vampire lover." A smile, would it be hard to tell if she was joking or not? She would kiss his cheek were it not for those others about them.

He raises his eyebrows... and then considers. "Never slept with a vampire, actually... And as far as wandering around in a bath towel goes, sometimes my Saturday nights get a little fuzzy..." He fights back a grin.

"Nor had I. Well, that night." Her expression thoughtful before turning playful towards him, "I don't recall any towels in recent events."

He chuckles softly and sips his bourbon. "I'm proud of myself. I've only actually been very drunk once in the past year or so... You should've seen it." Another sip.

"It is perhaps best I did not. The last man I dealt with in such a state did not make the greatest of impressions." Taking a slow drink of the bourbon.

"Oh, I would've made an excellent impression." He pauses. "...I think I sang?"

She tried to recall if Dakota had sung that night so long ago, but could not. "And was your audience impressed?"

"Dakota didn't boo me or anything, so I think I did okay..." he muses. Then he grins. "I'll give it another try in another year - or perhaps a lot sooner. The villagers are thinking about holding a great feast once the hall is completed."

For those that didn't know her, there would note nothing. But for Alain, Eva or Paladin - the slight frown would probably be noticeable. It had been months since she had seen the man, who was head over heels for Cassandra. Well, perhaps if he surfaced the man would have a chance now? The expression passed, she smile to Alain. "Sounds like a nice event."

"I honestly doubt I'll be drinking much there, but it'll be pretty nice." He notes the expression, but it passes, and he drains some of his glass. "I'm not sure what they're planning - a lot of the women in the community are organizing it, but they won't tell me a thing..." He looks hard at her. "Have you heard anything?"

She shook her head with a smile. If Izira knew anything she was not sharing... female solidarity.

He resists the urge to reach out and touch her to check. He sips again, and a pair of Watchmen wave to him on their way out. He's smiling, though, not entirely believing her.

She drained the rest of the bourbon from her glass, setting it on the bar. "How is your back?" A brow raised, perhaps it was all a ploy to get her there.

He decides to test it out, placing a hand against it and trying to pop it - apparently it won't budge, and he looks pretty stiff. "Pretty terrible - the winch we were using to haul the silver up broke, and we all had to leap onto the chain, haul it up by hand."

Izira nearly winced at the thought of it, shaking her head.

He finishes his bourbon. "It could've been a disaster... Silas says he'll get to work on using magic to ease the process. Said something about golems..." He shrugs. He barely knows a thing about magic.

"Hopefully Silas is very skilled and knows what he is doing." She wasn't going to go further, no need to truly alarm Alain.

"He's only seventeen... but he does things with magic I can't begin to wrap my mind around." He looks over at her. "I've seen him put out enough lightning magic to power a small city."

"Very impressive." A nod. "I could only hope to burn a small city to the ground." A twist to her smile and a soft chuckle.

He chuckles also, shaking his head. "I pray 'hope' was just poor word choice..."

That comment brought laughter to the air, her smile sparking in her eyes. "Yes, yes... a poor word choice."

He decides to give his back another try. "If it would just pop, I don't think it'd be that bad..."

"Do you want to lean against the wall for me?" It was a harmless request, but her tone was playful.

"I may actually ask you to stand on my back."

"With or without the heels?" A soft smile, she assumed without--but who knew.

"Definitely without." A dirty thought passes through his mind, but perhaps she'll learn later... Heels on shoulders in...certain positions? Hot.

"Where to?" Her drink empty, she had just been waiting on his cue.

"This way," he says, nodding in parting to the 'tender and making for the stairs. He unlocks the door into the stairwell and then leads the way up, onto the second floor. It's... surprisingly nicely decorated, considering he did it all himself. Mostly nice dark wooden furniture and a lot of books, a couple classy couches and high-backed chairs, and even some paintings. The first room they come into is a living room of sorts. Jean is nowhere in sight, still sleeping downstairs by the fire. Beyond is a library, a large bathroom (nowhere near as nice as Izira's), and his bedroom. A fire crackles in a second story fireplace, a rather rare architectural feature.

She looks around, taking it all in and nodding in approval. Lingering glances over the books that were closer to hand as she slipped out of her heels. The shoes were set to the side near a wall.

Many of the titles are in different dialects of French, though a fair number are older tomes in Middle English. He also gets out of his shoes, making his way over to the bed - where, in melodramatic fashion, he spreads his arms and falls forward onto it. "Oomph."

She moved over to the bed, careful of her skirt as she got onto the bed and stood. Waiting for him to settle himself, before she stepped onto his back. Remaining mindful of the weight she put on him and where, each foot was settled towards either side of his spine as she moved from the lower back and up.

"Mmh..." He rolls his shoulders carefully, stretching his arms out. "Right shoulder blade...press hard..." There are more scars on his chest than on his back - most have had the common decency to shoot or stab him while looking him in the eye.

Following the directions given, Izira soon heard a crack from his back. Standing still, "More?"

"Ah!" He breathes a sigh, and nods. "Just... walk up and down a little bit..." She may not be able to feel it yet, but his muscles are quite tense. "Could you use your hands...?" His words come out kind of muffled through the mattress.

"You want me on all fours on your back?" The smirk could be heard in her tone, "Or are you requesting the use of my hands in place of my walking all over you."

She shakes a little on top of him as he chuckles. "No, just your hands, not all fours..."

She hopped down from his back, sitting next to his torso with her legs tucked beneath her. Using the full of her hands in various ways over his back to work out the tensions. Not bothers to keep track of the minutes as they slipped away.

"Mmh..." Yes, pretty soon, he is beyond words, so he doesn't say much at all. Eventually he ditches the shirt, if she hasn't already removed it. He drags a pillow closer to put under his head, looking over his shoulder at her. "...I really needed that."

Now falling into lightly scratching his back, "You are welcomed."

"Thank you," he murmurs happily, reaching back to slide a hand over her arm. He looks back at her again. "What about you?"

"I am happy to have been of help." Leaning down, she placed a soft kiss to his lips before pulling back.

He kisses back a moment and smiles, turning over onto his back and sitting up. "You sure? You've been working pretty hard..." Sideways look at her, as if he can discern the tension in her muscles that way.

"I am sure." She sounded it and looked it too. "What business are you up to tomorrow?"

He sighs, stretching out his arms carefully, collecting his shirt now. "I might head up to Esperance tonight or in the morning... but I've got to be back in town for business in the evening." He collects his shirt, though he doesn't button it, and he places his hand palm-up on the mattress for her hand.

Placing her hand within his, as she listened. Her fingers brushing against his. "Busy man."

"I need to talk to a smuggler..." Lacing their fingers, he lets his thumb brush back and forth. Eyebrows rise mildly. "Haven't been in that business in years."

"Why the sudden return?" Watching him carefully, there were many things one could be smuggling.

"I don't need anything smuggled or to get back into it... but sometimes truces have to be made with the questionable to deal with the objectionable."

A frown as Izira considered the deadly game he was playing at.

He sighs, and places his other hand on her shoulder - "I don't want you to worry. This one's an old friend - it'll be fine."

"But there is more to it than just that one, is there not?" Eyes searching his face, for what she was not sure. Perhaps it was reassurance that he too would not be taken from her.

"...There's a few more." And they're dangerous - he's wary of them - though he cannot possibly give them the fear he has for the evil men whose company he infiltrated... He squeezes her hand. I'm not leaving you, Izira. Not just in the sense of pushing her away, but also not leaving this world.

Her hand tightened against his, leaning in and placing a kiss to his forehead. Her voice was soft, a woman who learned from history and didn't pretend some things were any different than what they were. It wasn't that she was trying to be difficult, or milk him for more promises and devotion. She was just being honest, "You cannot promise me that."

"...No... I suppose I can't... but I can promise not to be reckless, because there are people I care about." He lifts his head to look her in the eye.

Her smile softening further. Lips moved towards his, giving him a light but lingering kiss.

His fingers curl gently at the back of her neck as he returns her kiss, and smiles softly at her. "...I'm thankful I never have to remind you not to march off to die..."

Never say never. But her smile was warm and she stayed close to him.

He lets her lean into his chest, putting an arm around her, leaning his head to kiss her hair. "Where are you going tonight?"

"Home. To sleep." Making herself comfortable against him. "Though, this is nearly as comfortable as my bed." It was the pillow-top of her mattress that made it so heavenly, that and the obscene size of it.

His is a full bed, maybe a bit larger than a full. He plays with her hands gently, enjoying the simple act of holding her protectively in his arms. "It's a good bed..."

Tilting her head upwards to look into his eyes, "You said you might go to Esperance in the morning?" The idea of staying put formulating within her mind. Of course, perhaps the Mark was not such a safe place for things?

The Mark is quite safe. It's warded, she can feel them if she scans for them, and enchanted against magical attack. "Yeah, I'll go there in the morning." He smiles.

"Perfect." Cuddling closer to him. There was no change of clothes. Stripping down would not lead to the sleep she needed so she was content to sleep there in the clothing she was wearing.

He smiles down at her and gives her a soft kiss, then gets closer, hands folded over her middle. Stretching out to cut the light, then settling back into place. Really, the man can sleep in just about any position.

Which was good as Izira was already starting to drift off in his arms. Her voice was sleepy and far away sounding, "Good night, Alain." Slipping further into sleep, "I love you," she hadn't even realized she said it aloud.

It's not something he admits to quickly - but she's already asleep, thankfully. Not that saying it or not changes much... He kisses her temple softly, and after a few minutes, joins her in sleep.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Moments at the Inn

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Monday, April 21, 2008 early morning - Played in IM))

It's early in the morning, before breakfast, and in the low light Alain is seated at a table in the common room. Before him? Blueprints, for the village itself and for the town hall. He's enjoying a very aromatic cigar - he went all out this time. A pencil rests tucked behind his ear.

Izira was awake and ready for the day, despite being out a bit later than planned the night before. The lady managed to look as bright as ever, though she had her own thoughts on her mind. The incident of Eva and the man named Ghost touched heavily on Izira's mind and heart, there being some parallels, but not those that left Izira in a good lighting. She worried her lip a moment as she moved from the back hallway into the kitchen, she didn't need to start things quite yet so she moved from there into the main room through the door behind the bar. Checking for any early arrivals she might need to feed. The lady's hair was down, she wore a black top that had a wide v-neck collar, fitted to her torso and resting at the edges of her shoulders. It was lower on her collar than some of her other shirts. A charcoal grey skirt that ended just under her knees and black, closed-toe heels. Silver adorned her neck and wrists, small simple yet elegantly designed jewelry. Spotting Alain, she quietly made her way over to his table.

He taps the cigar and as he reaches, notices Izira. He gives her a gentle smile and leans back in his chair again, gaze lowering to the blueprints. "You'd think it'd all get a little easier towards the end."

"Anything that involves people can only involve further unexpected complications." Something in her smile that was hard to place, her thoughts still somewhat on the events Eva had shared with her. Izira stood behind another chair at the table, resting her hands over the back of it. "What troubles are you experiencing presently?"

"The town hall - it's..." He breathes a smoky sigh. "We found out the worst possible way that the ceiling didn't have the support it needed. It's a miracle no one was hurt." He grins a touch, shaking his head. "And for some reason, as soon as it happens, they come running to me for the solution. Kacey's better at this, or one of the engineers Rena sent over... but I'm still going to look this over so I'll have a vague idea what I'm talking about when I approach them."

"Of course they run to you, Alain. They see you as their leader. Kacey and the engineers, those are just folks helping out with the cause... but you, you are the man with the banner and they line up behind you." Canting her head as she regarded him, "Do you honestly not see that?"

His lips thin a little. "I'm wishing I didn't." He taps his cigar again - it's nearly done, anyway. "It's nearing time for these people to decide how they will be governed - hell, it's past that time, and I don't want them turning to me."

"They already are turning to you. Perhaps they haven't voiced it, haven't written it down on paper but you who they want. If it is not what you want, you will need to address the situation and quickly." Moving from the chair, Izira headed back towards the bar. Going through the break. She took down a tall glass, adding ice and water.

He rubs at the back of his neck. "Solange, the old political adviser of the Clarendons, my cousin..." He puts out the cigar, and looks at her. "She wants me to claim my title."

She came out from the bar, but leaned back against it with water in hand. "You have a title to claim?"

He chuckles softly, a bit incredulously. "Nouveau Bretagne was once called Sainte-Ouen, and my ancestors were the Counts of Sainte-Ouen, before the King of England installed the Breton Duke as ruler in place of the last Count. ...Apparently, I'm heir to that title... and she wants me to use it."

"To what end?"

He looks at her, clearly uncomfortable with the idea he speaks next: "To become their lord."

Reading his discomfort, she remained silent... allowing him to continue as he would. It was obvious it was not what he wanted, but Izira did not know the reasons behind his cousin's urging. Was it a play for power? Or did she merely seek to put someone able in charge?

"...These people... they..." He falls silent a moment, and begins again: "They deserve to pick their own path. Their own way. Elect their leaders, and if their leaders do a poor job, throw them out, find new ones."

"You do not think they are choosing you for the right reasons?" She lifted her glass, taking a slow sip as she waited for his response.

"Izira... I would gladly help lead them... as one of many, on equal standing with other leaders." He looks at her. "I don't need a title. Every man ought to earn or lose the respect to lead by his actions... not by his name.” He paused before continuing, “…Arikai knows, though. About my title. So does Marcus. I pulled rank with it when talking to the slavers, it was the first thing that popped into my mind."

"Arikai doesn't strike me as the type to say anything, though of Marcus..." Izira gave Alain a weak smile. "The villagers, though, they made this choice already. If they find out about the title it will certainly give fuel to their idea."

"...If they choose it... would it be right to deny them? Because then on another level, I'd be saying they don't know what's good for them."

"A rock and a hard place. You want them to choose their own leaders, but you do not want them choosing you to rule above all others. If you tell them as much, you risk wounding them. Perhaps you should start the process of choosing the structure of their government before they lay it as your feet. Surely, if you go to the first with a good idea of a balanced ruling party their respect for you would catch their ears and minds?" Izira set down her glass and moved to sit on top of a stool, carefully crossing her legs. The water glass taken back to hand.

He nods slowly. "...You're right. Preemptive action at this point is probably my safest bet, before word gets around of any noble titles. As soon as possible, I'll call a meeting. But until then..." He smiles, forcing the thoughts aside as he asks her, "Could I have a cup of coffee?"

She nodded, her glass set on the bar again. Off from the stool she moved to stand in her heels and make her way around the bar to the pot. Checking it to see if it was fresh, there was a pleased smile on her face. It seemed the pot was worth the price, having started a fresh brew on it's own. A mug was taken down and Izira poured a good helping into it. Bringing the hot mug to Alain.

"Thank you," he smiles, and takes a slow sip of the coffee. The volunteers begin to stir upstairs, and Alain's smile widens, gaze flickering from the kitchen door to Izira. "It never ends, does it."

She shook her head, "No, it doesn't." Moving back to the bar and picking up her water before moving through the break. There were thoughts still on her mind, but breakfast needed to be made for the masses. Looking over her shoulder at Alain, "I'll leave you to your work then?"

He nods, and then smiles gently. "Thank you for listening, Izira." He opens his mouth to add something, but one of the volunteers is making his way down the stairs, and he turns to his coffee and the blueprints instead.

"Of course." She said, feeling like the world's confidant and moving into the kitchen. Who would listen to her? Well, there was always Silas.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Moments at the Inn

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Monday, April 21, 2008 evening - Played in IM))

There are times when Alain wants to share, and times he doesn't. Often he is fortunate enough to be able to share every time he wants to - but just as often, he can't say a word. He walks into the Forgotten Layers Inn shortly after dinner, pausing in the doorway to rub at the back of his neck... He breathes a sigh through his nostrils, and crosses towards the bar.

"Help yourself." Her voice came from across the room. She, still dressed as she had been that morning but without the heels, was laid out on her back in one of the couches provided in the sitting area that surrounded the large hearth for the main room. Her heels set on the floor beside the couch. Silas sat, thoughtfully on his hind legs with tail wrapping about his feline form, within a nearby armchair. His head turned towards the man while Izira was looking at the ceiling.

He turns to look at her, watching her silently for a long moment. There's a great deal he wants to say... but it is buried, locked away. She couldn't look him in the eye, he's sure, for sending a good-hearted man to a fate worse than death. "Can I get you anything, while I'm back there...?"

"No. Thanks." She sat up, reaching over an scratching the side of Silas' head. The feline seemed to enjoy the attention lavished upon him. She used this moment to try to tuck away the doubt she was feeling. "How went your day?"

"Well enough. Spent some time in RhyDin, after talking to the engineers here..." He fixes himself a glass of water and drags a chair over to sit by her. "How was yours?"

As Alain moved to join them Silas jumped from his spot in the armchair onto Izira's lap. Amazingly enough, no orange fur seemed to be escaping from the feline's coat. She continued to pet the cat as it settled to face Alain. "Uneventful. I've just been here." While her attention moved between the man and beast, Silas' attention was very steady on Alain.

"Monsieur Cat," he nods to Silas, and crosses his legs. Glass lifted for a sip. "Something's on your mind," he observes.

"I have had... concerns." She said, running a hand over Silas' head. "Silas has given me more to worry about." One last scratch, then she set the feline down on the ground. Silas turned his head towards her and was answered with a nod. One more glance spared from the cat, then he made his way off eventually heading up the stairs of the inn.

"What concerns?" he asks, eyes watching the cat briefly as he goes.

She settled back into the seat, legs crossing towards Alain though her torso leaned back into the couch. "I went to Red Dragon yesterday. Thinking to maybe spend time with you or Eva. I considered trying the Mark, but I didn't know how that would look to someone watching." Only the smallest of pauses before she moved on, "Eva eventually showed up, she was... in a poor spot. It seems a previous love that hadn't agreed with the idea of getting married had a change of heart some time while she was away for six years. He didn't tell her this. She found out when the woman showed up at the inn."

He rubs at his jaw. "Eva's a good woman... but you know this," he adds, shaking his head. "How's she doing now?"

"By now? I'm guess she might be getting over a very bad headache." Izira glanced away from Alain.

His lips thin. "...I haven't seen her around Tucker much, either."

"Nor have I." Running a hand into her hair, she propped her head up and looked to Alain again. She was quiet, watching him. Thinking of what to say next.

He watches her a moment, running his tongue along his teeth without clicking the tongue ring. "...You have a concern about us."

"Had a concern. Now I have concerns." A twist of her smile. Silas was good at helping Izira second guess things.

"Numerous concerns..." He itches his jaw, faint smile on his lips now - tricky cat that one is.

A short not, she looked towards the low fire. "When I was listening to Eva, I couldn't help but think of the situation I currently find myself. Only I am not the hurt ex-lover, I am another woman and far worse than this other Eva told me of. She wasn't aware of what she did and it had been years since Eva and this man had been together." If she had done this to Eva, well... Izira could not think well of herself.

He frowns. "...How could you be as bad as, or worse than this woman?"

"Because she is not over you... and I am completely aware of what I am doing."

He steeples his fingers. His tongue traces his teeth again... and he nods to himself, though he's reluctant to do so. "...You're not to blame. I initiated it. But..." He looks up at her. "Don't wait until I'm completely gone from her heart - such a thing never happens. It will still sting, no matter how long from now, no matter how little the pain is, when she finds another man... and the same can be said for her.” He paused briefly, then continued “...But maybe we should... slow down, until she has gotten over me more." He looks up at her.

She let loose a soft bitter laugh and turned her head from him again.

"Izira..."

Slowly her eyes returned to him, "I have spent years of my life shut off and alone. Now? I find I am greedy and hate the idea of waiting still further." She shook her head softly. "I must admit. I cannot currently convince myself of a way for it to feel right in rushing. Perhaps I should just find someone available to throw myself at... but the idea of a stranger touching me." Her face lost some of its composure and nausea welled in her stomach as memories of strangers flooded her mind. She closed her eyes to force those thoughts away. Speaking again, her voice softer... weakened. "I find myself frustrated."

"Please wait for me," he asks simply, his own voice soft... and then adds, "You can say yes or no, and if you say yes, I hold you to no obligation... until you feel we're ready for each other."

She wanted to say no. She wanted to say no and be done with it. Waiting felt like purgatory, ever in limbo with a carpet ready to be pulled from under your feet. She loved him, though. She couldn't help that. And she knew if she said no, watching him hear it would be even worse for her. Izira took a slow breath. "What of you? Would you wait for me?" She thought of the Mercy woman at the inn, eager to get Alain off on another woman. And the lady in the belly dancer costume who wore it for him. And the woman who he told her of? Who had tried to kiss him and yet he had dodged it? Alain wasn't in such a position that the idea of a stranger turned him off far as Izira’s knowledge went.

"I'll kiss if I have to... and with the work I'm doing now for those wicked men, there's a possibility I actually might... but outside that, from this moment on, waiting on your call... I'll wait for you, Izira." His eyes fall to his water, then rise to hers again... and he shakes his head slowly as he says, "Things have gotten... so dark for me, now... but the thought of you gives me strength."

Hearing his words, that she gave him strength tied around her heart. But she did not miss those other words. I'll kiss if I have to. Silence lingered from her. The question remained at the tip of her tongue and eventually won out. "If you are required to do more?" It wasn't a soft question, it wasn't attentively curious. She might not know the ‘exacts’ of Alain's work, but she knew the capabilities of evil men. She was stone and she wanted the truth.

"...That's something that I'll have to address as it comes, should it come, though I don't think it shall... but if my life or the life of another depends on it..." He sighs softly. "Then I hope you'll forgive that sin, instead of my committing a worse one."

She gave a nod and stood, eyes taking in the interior of the inn if only to spend a moment looking elsewhere than him. Then her eyes returned to Alain once more. Silent, her decision teetering. He had room to say more if he wished.

"...You said something, as you went to sleep, the other night."

Her eyes did not register understanding. "... I said 'good night'..."

"You said that you loved me. You were falling asleep... but I felt the truth in it. And that's something I'm willing to wait for."

She had dreamed it, surely? No. Here he was bringing it up as solid evidence. She loved him. He was willing to wait for that. Willing to wait for love. Her mouth wasn't working at the moment, but her eyes looked back and forth into his.

"Love takes a while to grow in my heart... but I ache for you already, Izira. I know it's growing."

"It's growing." She repeated. Softly, she shook her head and looked towards him. "I cannot promise to wait for you, Alain. I do not want to cause trouble in your life with your many jobs and expectations from others and so I am not asking anything of you. Know you have my heart, now..."

His eyes hold hers... and then fall from them. "...I hope I still have it when we are both ready." He lifts his glass for a sip. "You know those jobs and expectations?" Ironic little smile to himself. "...Sometimes I wish they'd go away. Right about now is one of those times."

Izira didn't tell him if he would or not. She didn't know. But she corrected him by saying, "When you are ready." The only thing that held Izira back was that Alain was waiting to officially break things with another. That being with him could put her at risk was not something she worried about for her own sake, only his. People had hurt her before; she knew a lot about pain. She wasn't as weak and helpless as she once was. Izira was ready now, but there was no saying if she would still be so when Alain finally was.

"I'll talk to Cassie," he says, cradling his right hand. He begins to massage his right palm, not nervously but slowly, but his thumb pauses in its course. "...Hopefully, when our break becomes permanent... her heart will begin to move on."

Izira watched him massage his palm, a light frown. She broke from her standing tall and resolved position to kneel beside him, moving to take his hand in her own. Her attention would fall there to the palm, slowly massaging it herself. There were no words to say to him in return on that matter.

He sighs, and she can feel it - he's frustrated about what they've been discussing, certainly... but he's had to make a hard decision today. A great evil for a greater good. He moves a hand to her shoulder and neck, to move her to lean on him.

She accepted the gesture, settled more against him and the chair than before. Feeling that weight that he carried at the touch. "Do no let it drag you down, Alain." The words were soft, understanding. Izira would be dead right now had she let the darkness of the world take her in full.

"...I can stay afloat," he nods... his arm around her, holding her head gently to his chest.

"Good." Eyes closed, she listened to his breathing and the beating of his heart. Taking in the faint smell of him which still lingers with the light smoke from his cigar.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Tuesday April 22, 2008 early morning around 3am - Played in IM))

It's early in the morning when Alain returns to the Forgotten Layers Inn - hours before sunrise. He pauses in the common room, rubbing at his face, and breathes a long sigh. Bright blue eyes scan the common room, almost eerily quiet, everything looking grey in the dull early morning light. He breathes another sigh, considering the stairwell... and proceeds through the door, down the hallway towards Izira's room.

It was night, Izira was sleeping. Wrapped in the blankets of her bed, she slept on her side. A hand lifted up and resting on the blankets beside her, as though reaching out to touch someone who wasn't there. Shoulders and up revealed with that arm that was out from the covers, as well as the higher portion of her collarbone. There appeared to be nothing but blankets around her. Hair fell about her face. Her lips were closed, the soft sound of breathing escaped from her nose. Beneath her eyelids eyes seemed to flicker gently, indicated that the woman was dreaming. It wasn't a bad dream or a good one, but one that was sad. The simple expression of sorrow lightly touching her face. She watched at time passed, seasons changed and she remained alone.

Just outside of the room Izira slept in, Silas sat. His attention alert, he almost looked to be standing guard.

"Monsieur cat," he says quietly to Silas, bowing his head. "Will you let me pass?"

The cat flicked his tail, remaining unmoved. His eyes squinting a moment up at Alain.

He smiles softly, and then crouches so he can address the cat. "I have made my peace with Cassie now. May I see the Lady of the Inn?"

Again his tail made jarring motion, but the cat did not remain silent. Keeping his bright green eyes upon the man, he reached out with his mind to the other. ~What is your intent in telling her now, boy? ~ That he would address Alain as 'boy' could quickly be thought of as being rude, however the feline did not see it that way. There was a feel of the cat's mind, older than any cat could be. He called Alain 'boy' merely so the man would know he did not see him his equal. Much like any feline.

He's a bit surprised, but he whispers back, "Because I feel a need to tell her... She did not say how long she would wait for me, or that she would wait at all - just that, when I spoke to her tonight, I had her heart right then." It's not sex that drives him to her door in the middle of the night. "It may not seem logical... but this is what the heart does." He'd speak back with his mind, but he's no Psion - his thoughts would come out disjointed thoughts and images like normal human thought.

~A man's intent and a man's action are not always the same. ~ The feline's head turned towards the door, there was the sense of a smirk in the following comment. ~My mistress sleeps bereft of all her clothing. ~ Then back those slit-greens turn to Alain.

"Then I'll knock," he says simply, eyebrows raised.

~I think I would rather wake her myself. ~ Amusement. The cat stood, not waiting for a response. The door was knocked open ever so and the cat slipped through the darkened gap of the door.

Silence for a pause, then Izira murmured. She fought against a dream that seemed to real, she feared waking and finding it to be so. Soon, at Silas' insistence, Izira's mind became more wakeful. "What? Alain? Why? Damn it Silas." All said in low tone at the cat.

-that, after the last part, pranced outside of the room while a light flickered on and shuffling could be heard inside. ~She'll be a moment. ~ Silas conveyed, taking up his perch again.

"I think I echo the lady's sentiments," he admits quietly to the cat, though he lowers his hand to rub at the top of his head.

The cat seemed to remain silent on the man's comment, but definite amusement oozed from him.

Moments later Izira opened the door. Her hair was still tussled from sleep. About her form she had first put on a white, night-dress but then had gone further step, taking a thick black robe and covering herself with that as well. The robe was tied securely, managing to cover the slip beneath it but still expose parts of her lower legs when she moved. "Alain..." Her voice was a mixture of wonder and confusion. A glance down caught the cat there. She opened the door further to hurry Alain inside with a gesture and close the door behind him to keep the cat out. Then looking at Alain again, "What is it? Is everything alright? Silas... he wouldn't say."

"No, no, everything's fine..." He leans against the door, dropping his backpack. He rubs at his hair a little, and then looks up at her. "...I talked to Cassie tonight."

Izira stilled, she blinked. She looked at him as though she did not hear him correctly or perhaps she had not actually just woken up--but remained sleeping. "Tonight?"

"It should've happened a lot longer ago."

"You went all the way back to talk to her tonight?"

"I couldn't sleep."

She fell silent, not finding the words to express her thoughts. Watching him for a further explanation or details.

"...So I went to see her, get what I'd been holding onto and keeping from her off of my chest... and we officially broke it off."

A slow nod to show that she has heard him. She glanced around her room. It was lighted by the lamp by the bedside but darkness hung behind the curtains of the two windows. "You just got back?"

"Yeah. Just stopped to chat with Monsieur Cat, but otherwise, I came straight here," he says, smiling a touch.

Eyes carried towards the door, she wondered what Silas had known when he woke her up. Attention returned to Alain, there was a pause before she spoke. "You waste no time for something that is only growing." She wasn't implying anything about sex, but that he made haste to tell her that he was now officially available.

"You never said you'd wait," he replies, eyebrows raised a touch. "...I don't want to lose you, Izira."

"You didn't give me a reason to wait, Alain. You only said you could love me, were starting to, not that you did." She looked towards the floor between them. "I didn't want to be waiting if you changed your mind."

"What if I said I've realized that I do love you?" he says, taking a step forward. "...And I know what I said earlier tonight."

Looking up she caught his eyes, her eyes showing first a touch of surprise before it faded. "What if you said it?" Because he hadn't said it, merely implied it.

He smiles softly, a little more faintly, and then he does say it: "I love you, Izira."

Izira wasn't a young whimsical girl. She didn't fall into his arm, frail and fragile, when he said it. She canted her head, a pleased smile surfacing upon her face. There was no doubt that she was happy, and that her heart lifted at his words. Her words soft, "You already know my feelings, Alain."

"Tease," he says to her, moving close to take her hand, draw her closer - not a dramatic pull into his arms (she is, after all, not a young whimsical girl), but close enough to kiss.

"I am just keeping things even." A short shake of her head, her words were spoken soft and low before giving him her lips.

His fingers lace with hers, his lips moving gently over hers, lingering in the kiss, in that shared feeling - love. It is a young and simple feeling, at least at this stage, but he's never felt it shared so directly before. His other hand rests on her side.

It was a warm comforting sensation. Something almost entirely knew, for in the longest time Izira could not recall feeling such a way. And it was different, she knew how Alain felt -- could feel it. She could not second guess his emotions and she had no reason to second guess her own. Lingering in the kiss a while before slowly parting, her eyes open to his with a loving smile.

He returns her smile, and rests his brow against hers - fairly common move with Alain, apparently. His arms encircle her, folded hands rubbing the small of her back.

One hand moved to rub at the back of his neck. "What now, Detective? Renegotiations on how I am to treat in you public?" Ending the questing with a faint smirk, she titled her head to kiss him lightly, quickly once more.

"Well, if we're on loving terms now..." He steals another kiss, and ducks his head to nuzzle at her throat. "All the more reason to keep you safe..."

She shook her head slightly. "Alain, understand that I do not feel the need to go riding with you into battle... but I am not so fragile that I must be protected." A twist of her smile, perhaps part of her wished she was so fragile... but she was not. She felt the fire inside, it was her own to call now.

"...They're demons, Izira," he says simply. "Any other foe, I would try harder to trust you can hold your own."

"For your sake then, I will act whatever part you need me to when I am in RhyDin."

"Spill your heart to Eva in private... but in RhyDin, until this is over, we must remain friends." He kisses her again, and smiles: "Doesn't have any bearing on what's true, though..." She can feel that on a level, beyond his genuine concern for her safety over this case, he certainly likes the idea of protecting her - he knows she's strong, but can't help but enjoy the idea.

"No? Does that mean the villagers will notice a new lady in their Lord's life?" She smiled playfully, making light of his earlier concerns.

He pauses... and then his smile grows, mischievously. "...You know, you and I could have a lot of fun with this."

She raised a brow, wondering what mischief ruled his thoughts.

"Keep Esperance guessing." He nips lightly at her lower lip.

"More secrets."

"But different secrets. Drop clues, so we can watch them watch us." He grins. "I've always wanted to know what happens when someone starts doing detective work on me, instead of the other way around."

A soft chuckle. She shook her head, leaning forward and kissing his cheek.

He smiles at the kiss to his cheek. After a moment holding her, he asks, "Can I sleep here tonight?"

Into Alain's mind the cat's voice came. He was sitting just the other side of the door. ~Can you? Sleep? ~

Izira was glancing from Alain to the bed.

He puts his hands up to Izira, ignoring the cat in a sense - "I'm too tired for any shenanigans."

She nodded. Leaning towards him to give him another soft kiss. "You may sleep here."

Doesn't stop him giving her lower lip a little suck, though. He grins and snatches up his backpack to head into the bathroom and get ready for bed.

Taking off the heavier robe, she left the short night-dress on before slipping back under the covers. The light by the bed dimmed, waiting for Alain's return before it was turned off completely.

He decides to ditch his pants, and certainly his shoulder holster, crawling under the covers with her and curling around her.

She settled back against him, closing her eyes as the lights went out. "Good night, Alain."

" 'Night, Izira."
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Izira's Journal

Post by Izira Nyte »

Izira's Journal from Thursday, April 24, 2008

I have sorely been neglecting my writing. Now I feel there is too much to say and I am unsure as to how I will get it all down.

Many days past, I stayed the night at The Silver Mark with Alain. I just slept there. I did not do anything I might later regret. In the early morning hours he came back to the inn with me as breakfast still needed to be served and I didn’t want to keep his people waiting.

That was… Saturday night?

It must have been, the next day Alain attended the first Mass at chapel they built at Espérance. I did not attend. I have never been comfortable in church since…

I do not feel like dredging up that memory just now.

Sunday night I met up with Eva at Red Dragon. She was upset, having just found out an old love who wouldn’t marry her when she wanted to marry him is now married. It marred my heart to see her so. But I have to believe that it wasn’t her fault he would not marry her. She said this relationship was before her six years leave of RhyDin. He was married three years ago. Still, the man didn’t have the decency to tell her this fact. I will not forgive him it, even if he is more or less completely silent. Eva found out when the man wife showed up. A horrible way to find out, near a smack to the face… only this was a smack to her heart.

I didn’t see Alain that night. Though, after leaving Eva, I wanted to talk to him. It seemed to me that Eva’s situation held up a mirror to mine at that time— a man moving on. But I am not naïve to the pain I would cause another if she saw me with him. Alain and Cassandra still were unclear to one another.

I spoke with Silas.

Silas hasn’t fully decided how he feels towards Alain. He views him as being too young and having a hunger for all that life could offer him. He said if physically company was all I sought there would be no problem, but there is great risk in that my body does not come without the price of my heart. He thinks I have rushed into this too quickly, that years of solitude have made me too vulnerable to the kindness others would offer me. He even accused me of hero-worship.

When Alain came back to the inn there was more on my mind then there had been before. My worry over his situation with Cassandra, that he would find another as time passed, that rushing or slowing things did not seem to be the correct response. I thought things would be so much simpler if I could just remain unattached to someone while being with them physically, but the idea of being with a stranger causes my stomach to turn and panic to rise in my throat.

I spoke to Alain.

He asked me to wait for him. He wanted me to wait for him because he knew I loved him. It seems my sleep addled mind spoke these words to him when I stayed at Silver Mark with him. Those words were not untrue… but I hadn’t meant to speak them. But he couldn’t say it in return. He only gave me that love was growing in his heart. I couldn’t give him what he wanted. I couldn’t tell him I would wait for him. I had waited years of my life already and I desired companionship. I told him he had my heart at the moment. What I did not say, but was clear, was that he risked losing it.

It was clear.

Early Tuesday morning, before the sun was even close to rising, he came to me. He said he couldn’t sleep. He had gone to Cassie and broken things off with her officially. Then he told me he loved me.

There is warmth that takes over me when I hear those words, warmth that has nothing to do with the fire in my blood.

Even so, I refrained from falling into his arms and giving him my body.

I think Silas’ words haunt me somewhat.

That and the business Alain is up to.

In RhyDin I have to play a role, of some who does not mean anything to Alain.

I did this well last night. I went to the inn. Eva was not there. Alain and Rena were. Alain was leaving. A woman covered in tattoos and with rainbow colored hair with him. I did not ask, I do not plan on asking. I do not want to know.

I spoke with Rena some, was introduced to a man with her. Aerol was his name and he strikes me of being very fond of Rena. It seemed their conversations went better without me, so I excused myself from their company.

Then I met Locke.

An elf with a gift for the element of ice, I was bold enough to approach him and ask if I might try something out. I was curious to try a game I read about that the children of my father’s people play. It is something that helps hone their skills and bond with others. Locke was hesitant at first—more than hesitant I would say. I managed to sway him, however, and the result was… well… fun.

It is hard to describe what I was doing. We were touching hands and with my gift I could allow the energy of his ice into my skin without causing harm. The two powers playing against one another, I managed to create a sensation of licking flames that were cold as ice against his hands.

I could have remained at the inn longer into the night were I not summoned back to the inn, a problem had occurred with the water when someone was toying with magic far above their skill.

RhyDin is a surprisingly small place. I am sure we will meet again.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday April 24, 2008 - Part 1))

It had been a busy day. Right after breakfast, Izira had gone out to RhyDin city to visit a number of shops there. After several purchases, and a few hours spent relaxing at Teas’n Tomes she decided to venture to Red Dragon in hopes that she would run into the elf, Locke, again or perhaps bump into Eva.

Izira made her way towards the inn. A smile upon her lips despite the lingering clouds overhead. She wore closed-toe black heels along with a casual black dress that was styled like a long collared shirt. Cuffed sleeves were three-fourths in length down her arms, the collar undone to expose the flesh of her neck and collarbone. A thick, black belt tied about her waist to bring out the hour-glass figure. The material of the belt a touch shinier than that of the dress, it went with her shoes. With her she carried a bag of books she had purchased earlier in the day as well as several magical supplies. Up the stairs, across the porch and into the inn she went. Amber-browns looked behind the bar. A flicker of disappointment showed in her eyes as she did not see the blue elf back there, even though Alain stood behind there instead. It was RhyDin, and more so the inn, she wasn’t to react to him as she would back home. That in and of itself affected the way she reacted to him. But she covered it with a smile, which Alain returned, before moving towards a booth.

Her bags were set down in the selected booth, not caring to drag them back and forth from the bar. Izira, free of the burden, turned and made her way to the bar. Noting that Alain was speaking to a woman there, she was not the same one from the other night. When he noticed Izira’s approach a faint smile came to his face, different than that which had graced his company.

"Hey, Izira."

"Hello, Detective.” She said, giving a nod of greeting and a smile to the woman he spoke with before speaking to Alain again. "Playing at being a tender tonight?"

"Think I can pretend long enough to mix you a drink, if that's what you're asking."

The other woman gave Izira a polite smile. Something of curiosity showing in her eyes as she looked from Izira and back to Alain. It seemed Alain’s reaction towards Izira was enough to give something away to someone. Even as Izira was readying a response to Alain, that she would leave him to his company and fetch her own drink, the other gathered herself to go. “You two have a nice night. Maybe I'll see you later. I was thinking of keeping Tucker company tonight.” Ending with a polite nod to the pair before she slipped through what is left of the crowd to head out the door.

Izira watched the woman curiously in return, wondering what business she had with Tucker. Eva’s Tucker, as she thought of him. Perhaps she meant to help out while he tended? Was tonight the night he did that? The woman's quick departure had cut off Izira's response to Alain effectively. Still, she moved to get her own drink. A light shrug was given to the departing woman as she moved towards the break in the bar. "You as well." Izira offered softly after her.

Behind the bar, Alain moved to pour himself a drink. Passing Izira, his hand brushed against her covertly slipping her a note. Izira slipped it into her pocket, not planning on looking at the bit of paper at that moment. She moved to find a stout glass, and steal the high quality bourbon that was tucked away on a top shelf. A bottle she had seen Eva go after on a number of occasions, she had a feeling she knew why. Her figure stretched out as she reached for it. It was captured and brought down.

Alain moved away, taking up a table near the wall, sitting in a manner to leave the room open to view.

A clinked as a serving of bourbon was poured into the stout glass. Izira took a long taste. The in had a number of people in it tonight, but only one she cared about at the moment. For now it was better not to be seen talking to him. She made her way back to the booth that held her belongings, bourbon and glass in hand.

Sliding into the booth, she faced away from Alain. Another clink as she topped off the bourbon was followed by sounds of her sorting through her purchases. A book was brought out and held before her. It was then, with the cover of the book, that she read the note Alain had given her.

Izira,
Nothing happened with Chase last night. She lost control - she would have ended up a slave of that Egyptian man - so I locked her away until she came back to her senses.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Alain

His words considered quietly, as she recalled the other night. What would she have done in Alain’s position? Perhaps, nothing. Not unless she had been pulled into it. If someone was in a fight for their life, then... perhaps she would have stepped in. Then again, there was always the hero-sort to jump in and recue the damsel in distress. Course, the woman hadn't strike Izira as being in a struggle with anything but style. Still, she was not Alain. She wondered what had motivated his actions, mere concern for another? A need to protect? None of this was out of jealously, but curiosity of a man she loved.

She considered the note again. It would be no use to slip it in with her belonging. If something happened to her, if a simple note fell into the wrong hands. It was held a touch away from her new book, vanishing in a lick of flames that consumed even the ashes and left nothing behind. Smiling softly, at least Alain had cared enough to explain it to her...
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday April 24, 2008 - Part 2))

The bourbon lifted to her lips and her eyes turned towards her book, a book that discussed the artistic possibilities for elementals working together. It was very capturing, for not only did it give her something else to try with Locke but it also gave her an idea for decorations for the festivities to be held in Espérance during the month of May.

Izira noticed as Faenix made his way down the stairs, taking a seat at the bar. She held book in one hand, bourbon in the other. Legs crossed and glance to the clock. She offered the man a short nod. Hopefully the quick greeting and her book in hand would discourage him from approaching. He smiled and gave her a nod back, “Anyone tending?” A shake of her head in response, she took a slow sip of her bourbon and returned her attention to the book.

As those within the inn went about their business of drinking and socializing, Izira continued on in her book. From time to time she topped off her glass again. It would be interesting, perhaps, if she and Locke could create such artwork that the book covered. It would be a pretty feat of elemental magic. While reading, Izira wondered when the blue elf would be seen again. A glance to the bar as thought about it. Maybe next week? A slight frown, a week would be too long. Attention ran over the others she could see in the inn for a moment. Another sip of her drink, back to her book she went.

After some time, Izira heard someone call ‘Tuck’ from the area of the bar. A glance up from her book and towards the bar, she spotted the man known as Tucker. He appeared to be looking for something. Izira gave a curious look over the man who was somewhat tied to Eva. A long drink was taken from her glass. Izira sensed she knew what Tucker was looking for, the bourbon bottle at her table. Glass set down and the bottle was lifted, a clink as she poured a refill. Tucker should have never let Eva seen his hiding spot. Izira smiled to herself. The bottle was set down in plain site of Tucker, upon the table and out of the way of Izira’s reading. The glass returned to hand, she took a sip. Then, glass in one hand and book in the other, she returned to reading.

Then Tucker was standing at her booth, setting an empty glass down on the table’s surface. “Mind pouring me one?” He asked with a grin.

"A bit of a twist." amusement in her voice, as the patron served the tender. She set her book down and picked up the bottle, pouring the thickly built man a serving. "I was curious to know where Eva found it, now I have my answer."

“Yeah, well, don't go telling everyone, Ok?” The man wore an easy smile for one whose liquor had been swiped.

"And lose my new favorite bourbon to the masses?" A faint smirk appeared with the response. His glass filled she set the bottle aside and returned the glass to him.

“Thanks.” Said with a quick nod, he took his bourbon and headed back to the bar.

"Welcome." Said after him, not blaming him for a quick departure. He was on the clock. She returned to her book.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday April 24, 2008 - Part 3))

Time passed. The woman who had been speaking to Alain upon Izira’s arrival returned. Izira noted the woman’s attire, having not paid it much attention before. Though, she suspected the lady had been wearing something else before. Now she wore a faded blue t-shirt that was tight enough to put away any doubt she was a woman. Across her chest the lettering stated ‘I’m a famous beer drinker.’ Along with the blue top, she’d match a pair of blue jeans. Izira watched as the lady went to work with Tucker behind the bar.

There were not many others in the inn that Izira knew. Alain she couldn’t approach. Tucker, she didn’t really know, plus he was working. Faenix, Izira only knew due to Eva and Izira wasn’t actually that fond of the man. It wasn’t anything that the man had done exactly, aside from invading Eva’s space that one time when she was upset. It was, perhaps, his obvious attraction to Eva and complete blank when it came to seeing that she didn’t see him that way. Chryrie had appeared on the scene, but Izira had only met her briefly that one day with Lucien. Still, she gave her a nod to say hello which the woman returned with a cheery wave.

"Sunshine!" Alain’s voice carried in the inn.

Soon answered by the famous beer drinking woman, “Yes, Duke?”

"My drink's broken.”

Izira’s hands stilled, eyes no longer focused on the book.

“Broken? That sounds like something that needs to be rectified. How can I help?”

"What do you think would be fitting for a Duke?"

Alain seemed to notice the woman’s return after all. Izira was starting to hate this game she was forced into playing. Then Tucker was suddenly beside her booth again. Clearing his throat to catch her attention, her mind was forced away from eavesdropping. The book she wasn’t actually reading at the moment closed in her hands, offering Tucker a faint smile. “Need another?”

“No. Actually I was stopping to see if you needed anything.”

Her smile warmed, she propped her chin up. "Kind of you, but I fear that list is mostly intangible." Thinking she’d like to act like there was a man she cared for in the inn, but could not. Or if he could make Locke appear, at least it would be a better distraction.

She watched as Tucker’s grin grew at her response. “Maybe my question was too broad.” A hand motioned back towards the serving area. “Can I get you anything else from the bar or kitchen?”

"A narrowing of choices, good idea. Food does sound tempting... but, I've heard some interesting tales. Is there anything safe to eat here?"

“I'd stick with the bourbon if I were you.” Tucker said, leaning forward.

A soft chuckle, "Then I shall fetch my solids from somewhere else."

Again the man gave a quick nod and went back to business behind the bar. She watched him as he moved. Thoughts of Eva on her mind a moment. A glance around the room again, briefly taking in the others of the inn.

"Hey, catch," Alain said to the lady-tender, flipping a coin her way. When Izira looked to him he was downing a good amount of alcohol. True, Izira drank a lot, but it never affected her. She didn’t think the same could be said of Alain. The proof in that being that Izira had already taken down quite a bit of Tucker's bourbon, but it was not showing. Her book was still set aside. She considered getting some fresh air rather than picking it up again just yet.

"Your drinks keep breaking." Alain said to the woman again. In return the woman remained silent, giving Alain a cheeky smile as she fixed him another.

A sigh. Izira finished her bourbon and left the glass along with her other items at the booth. If she was lucky, Tucker wouldn't steal is bourbon back while she stepped outside. Leaving the booth, she headed towards the front door and the porch only to pause in the doorway. Sighting Dakota on the porch with a young girl, it seemed like a private moment. A bow of her head, though neither noticed her, she went back inside.

Awkward. That was how Izira felt standing just inside the door again. She had gotten up to go outside, just to be chased away by the public display of affection of other. Part of her wondered if she was more annoyed that it wasn’t her. Izira moved back to her booth. Sliding back into the seat, she didn't poor another glass of bourbon or pick up her book again. She just sat there with her thoughts. After some time, shifting position so she could watch the common room. Alain was at the bar…

Return to “Forgotten Layers”