Moderator: Staff

Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Ideas to help promote dueling in DoM.

Post by Spell »

Anyone have any?

Maybe we, as a community, could try getting together to flesh out some ideas to promote more dueling within the sport?

Twin Win nights were a good idea in both 2012 and 2013. The same with allowing all duelists to use Elemental Gems for a night. There was a boost in dueling then, but would soon dwindle back down to the norm.

There has to be something to help promote the sport. DoM 4 has streamlined the rules and allowed for a better and more balanced playstyle. With talks of new Towers possibly being brought into play, maybe there should be a discussion on how to draw in more duelists to fill these new towers.

Not everything can be left on the shoulders of coordinators. They have done much already to help try and shape the sport into a better experience. We, as the DoM community, should work together to somehow draw in players and show them that DoM can be on par with the other sports. So this is an open discussion for just that. While rule-talk could be a way to promote dueling, I'd personally like this discussion to be more about what the community could do instead of how the game could be changed.

Personally, I think DoM could benefit from an IFL-like competition. It could draw in not only new and existing players, but retired players as well. I heard talk of there possibly being one in the future? I'm excited for the idea. IFL gave a great boost to DoF participation outside of the competition in dueling and challenge matches. Maybe it could do the same for DoM?

Theme nights? Give Token / Icons / Anything for participating in the dueling for the night. Some Tuesdays there are over 14+ participants in the RDI Twilight Isle room, yet only a few duel. Maybe a theme night could tempt a few into trying the sport, or existing players to participate in the sport as well as normal Role Play. Norahs pirate night for the Arena is a good example of what a reward for dueling can offer. Along with Shadows Halloween event and the many other theme-nights the Arena hosted this past 2013.

Also if anyone is curious. DoM Numbers below.

Duel of Magic Numbers from November 2012 to Date of Post -- Monday, January 27, 2014
  • November 2012

Tuesday Nights: 16
    Fight Nights: 21

December 2012

Tuesday Nights: 2
    Fight Nights: 16

January 2013

Tuesday Nights: 27
    Fight Nights: 33 ( Twin Win Night took place this month )

February 2013

Tuesday Nights: 29
    Fight Nights: 13

March 2013

Tuesday Nights: 31
    Fight Nights: 15

April 2013

Tuesday Nights: 16
    Fight Nights: 11

May 2013

Tuesday Nights: 30
    Fight Nights: 23

June 2013

Tuesday Nights: 37
    Fight Nights: 33

July 2013 ( HYDRA SEASON 2 )

Tuesday Nights: 84 ( + 7 during August for the end of Hydra )
    Fight Nights: 89 ( + 20 for August Hydra )

August 2013 ( Including the 7 Hydra Duels )

Tuesday Nights: 22
    Fight Nights: 25

September 2013

Tuesday Nights: 27
    Fight Nights: 10

October 2013 ( IFL Starts October 28th )

Tuesday Nights: 46
    Fight Nights: 21

November 2013

Tuesday Nights: 15
    Fight Nights: 12

December 2013

Tuesday Nights: 21
    Fight Nights: 9

January 2014 ( IFL Playoffs End January 16th )

Tuesday Nights: 14
    Fight Nights: 12
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Team tournament might be nice, but you'd have to fit it in around Madness (which starts soon) and Hydra. Please keep it somewhat short, 6-8 weeks tops.
Napoleon Bonarat
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Napoleon Bonarat »

Make the atmosphere more friendly so everyone feels free to play whatever character they like.
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

There should be more punching allowed.

That would make DoM more fun. :)
Napoleon Bonarat
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Napoleon Bonarat »

Honestly, I think DOM numbers are pretty good compared to history. But, yeah, any way to make the game more fun and welcoming to others is the way to go.

I'm not usually of the school of thought that thinks more opportunities to challenge makes a sport more fun. I think it makes it *less* fun when Towers/Opals/Rings are constantly revolving. It's treating those titles too much like end game content intead of roleplay opportunities.

Making events for others to take part in? Yep, I think that's exactly the right track! Team dueling, Megacasts, All Ranks Tourneys, Twin Wins, etc, all good ideas. Someone needs to step up and run them with official approval, which I don't think should be too hard to get. Not to put anyone on the spot, but Spell, you run pretty good tourney events. I trust you would come up with something fun. :) That's your strength: you get an idea and you run with it. Some of us just come up with an idea, but don't follow through. You are definitely not that guy!

Does DOM still have the policy that wins gained in special events/tourneys can be added to the WoL record on the standings?

I still think there's some weird things wrong with the matrix, and some of the move combos make no sense. I encountered this when I was calling a Keeper challenge.

And allow punching. Punching would be good. Rain of Fists. :)
Last edited by Napoleon Bonarat on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Jake wrote:There should be more punching allowed.

That would make DoM more fun. :)
That's how Matt rolls in the DoM rings!
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

Napoleon Bonarat wrote:Rain of Fists. :)
MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Your Top Thug demands it! :)
Shadowlord
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Shadowlord »

What Nappy said! Events! I totally agree there.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Napoleon Bonarat wrote:Make the atmosphere more friendly so everyone feels free to play whatever character they like.
I'm rather glad this was brought up. As someone that has played child character over the years I'm well aware of the prejudices and concerns regarding certain characters taking part in duels.

So, in line with what Napoleon has said, how about we also discuss how to not discourage people from playing?

Bluntly, I'm finding it ironic that the request for ideas to promote DoM is coming from a player behind a character that makes participation difficult for some players. I mean, really, banning a particular type of creature from the Isle? While Jesse doesn't really have that kind of power, the act itself not only doesn't encourage some people to take part, it discourages them as well as encourages a hostile environment and bullying toward the characters that were singled out. Seriously, would you want to continue to play if your characters had targets painted on them? Not everyone is thick skinned.
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

Yeeeeeeaaaah.. Cause those "rules" are oh so serious that they pretty much MUST be obeyed.

Like these...

http://www.ringsofhonor.org/forums/view ... hp?t=27470

Oh wait, I mean these...

http://www.ringsofhonor.org/forums/view ... hp?t=27050

No, damn, did it again. These are the ones..

http://www.ringsofhonor.org/forums/view ... hp?t=25389

Or did I mean these? I think I'm losing track.

http://www.ringsofhonor.org/forums/view ... hp?t=24754

I mean, we're only a serious business type of sport in Magic, right? Can't do anything silly or ridiculous. No, it HAS to be an attack on someone. Good job.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
Saieniel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Saieniel »

PrlUnicorn wrote:
Napoleon Bonarat wrote:Make the atmosphere more friendly so everyone feels free to play whatever character they like.
I'm rather glad this was brought up. As someone that has played child character over the years I'm well aware of the prejudices and concerns regarding certain characters taking part in duels.

So, in line with what Napoleon has said, how about we also discuss how to not discourage people from playing?

Bluntly, I'm finding it ironic that the request for ideas to promote DoM is coming from a player behind a character that makes participation difficult for some players. I mean, really, banning a particular type of creature from the Isle? While Jesse doesn't really have that kind of power, the act itself not only doesn't encourage some people to take part, it discourages them as well as encourages a hostile environment and bullying toward the characters that were singled out. Seriously, would you want to continue to play if your characters had targets painted on them? Not everyone is thick skinned.
Firstly, anyone who takes anything Jesse does IC seriously ... well, there are greater issues with that, aren't there?

While we're at it, how about we address the blatant cliqueyness that I know personally drives me away from the Isle due to peoples prejudices? The "popular" kids -- mind you, not necessarily the ones who duel often, just the ones that are there the most -- drive people off with how they act toward others.

I've had multiple players express to me their disinterest in DoM not because of the sport itself but because of how they view the regulars there. It's nearly impossible to get a duel on any given Tuesday night because everyone is just there to play. And then when people get annoyed/upset/exasperated with how hard it is to get anything done, they are the ones who get shunned and told off for it, because god forbid we take a break from eating tacos and talking about the same stuff every single week to, oh, I don't know, actually duel.

DoM is suffering because new people have an impossible time breaking into the "group" that is there. A new person can easily walk into DoS or even DoF and hit it off no problem, get duels, do whatever. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. That's not the case for DoM and ultimately the sport is suffering for it because people that would typically be active and promote dueling shy away due to high school-esque cliques. In short? The stuck up snobbery is what makes people not want to come around and be a part of that, with or without IC edicts that (as mentioned before) are just plain silly.

As for being thick skinned? We're adults here, not children. If a player's maturity level makes them incapable of distinguishing the difference between IC and OOC and takes IC too personally, that is ultimately on that player and needs to be dealt with by them personally. They shouldn't have to be handled with kid gloves by others. I'm not saying people should be jerks, but there needs to be recognition that it can't always be sunshine and daisies IC.
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Saieniel wrote:It's nearly impossible to get a duel on any given Tuesday night because everyone is just there to play.
Just to touch on this bit and without intending to derail the thread:

It's often said that duels are an extension of role-play; the duels are games integrated into a FFRP setting. If people want to come to the Outback, Isle, Annex or wherever and have their characters hang out and talk and not duel, that's ok.

It's a fine line to walk: people can argue that too much play discourages dueling and just as easily argue that too much dueling discourages non-dueling related play.

I don't think this thread can or should become a 'dueling and dueling-RP' vs. not-dueling-RP' thread. That can be another thread. I'm also not at all meaning to pick on Saieniel's player for their point of view is as valid as anyone else's; I'm just trying to say that from where I sit, playing within a room while we've got callers on duty does not have to = players must also duel. Hanging out and not dueling is not something we should be discouraging and non-dueling roleplay can easily lead to dueling. We want players and characters in the rooms; we want them interacting and playing. If playing also winds up including dueling, so much the better!

Secondarily, I'll second what G and Saieniel's players posted regarding Jesse's edicts. Jesse (the character) is pretty much insane and personally, I don't see those edicts of hers as frontal assaults on a specific character or group of characters. If Jesse writes a demand to ban all goblins or humans or gnomes from the Isle, I don't think anyone IC or OOC (could be wrong) would think twice or take it at all seriously.

To take it a step further, Jesse's insanity has opened up at least two site-wide/all-inclusive (if people wanted to play into it) stories specificially within Twilight Isle. The first was Into The Inferno back in 2012 and the second is the current Tower of Death thing. I do know that some people were/are opposed to or uncomfortable with playing into those SLs which is totally fine. But without Jesse being a total nutball, the opportunity for both SLs probably never evolves. That's a long-winded way to say that in the long run, I think Jesse's antics lead to more roleplay or story writing opportunities than and are more inclusive than hostile/exclusive. Jesse's mannerisms and methods may leave a lot to be desired (IC) but the play opportunities are there for everyone to take part in if they want to.

For full disclosure: I don't play on the Isle much on Tuesday nights. If I do, I'll pop in for a duel and that's about it so I can't speak much to the clique thing or to the percieved unfriendly atmosphere. However, it sounds like a microcosom of what some people think of RoH as a whole: those RoH players are cliquish, those RoH players are unfriendly, those RoH players only care about dueling and to hell with roleplay, etc.

As a community as well as within the individual sports, we're all tasked with making sure that we're as welcoming and as open as possible to everyone whether they be new characters/players or veterans. That includes you (generic) and me: all of us have that duty and responsibility to one another. That doesn't mean we will all get along IC/OOC, but it does mean we need to respect one another, even when players or characters dislike one another. We can have our differences IC and OOC but we must still be civil and respectful, especially on an OOC level. Easier said than done, I know.

Lastly, to the original point of this thread: more events are good especially ones run by community members - remember, nothing's stopping you (generic) from organizing a tournament or running an event! Just make sure to speak with Lem and get his buy-in, since he's in charge of DoM. Otherwise, be creative and let fly!

--Matt
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
Saieniel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Saieniel »

Goldglo wrote:
Saieniel wrote:It's nearly impossible to get a duel on any given Tuesday night because everyone is just there to play.
Just to touch on this bit and without intending to derail the thread:

It's often said that duels are an extension of role-play; the duels are games integrated into a FFRP setting. If people want to come to the Outback, Isle, Annex or wherever and have their characters hang out and talk and not duel, that's ok.

It's a fine line to walk: people can argue that too much play discourages dueling and just as easily argue that too much dueling discourages non-dueling related play.

I don't think this thread can or should become a 'dueling and dueling-RP' vs. not-dueling-RP' thread. That can be another thread. I'm also not at all meaning to pick on Saieniel's player for their point of view is as valid as anyone else's; I'm just trying to say that from where I sit, playing within a room while we've got callers on duty does not have to = players must also duel. Hanging out and not dueling is not something we should be discouraging and non-dueling roleplay can easily lead to dueling. We want players and characters in the rooms; we want them interacting and playing. If playing also winds up including dueling, so much the better!
My apologies, I'd intended to put into my rambling there that I fully support playing, because I do. But I also feel like there needs to be a better balance. A balance that is easily seen in the Outback and Arena but seldom on the Isle. I've also seen people lambasted for having to repeatedly ask for duels, which is a huge issue in my mind, and massively alienates those simply trying to utilize the designated dueling time.
Shadowlord
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Shadowlord »

To put this out there on the subject of events, a couple years ago we'd bandied about and tried the idea of Keeper tournaments. Just so any Keeper knows, if you want to run a tournament (the prizes typically would include an expendable EF gem or somesuch), I'm perfectly willing to assist in the calling of them, and I know others are too.

This can easily be expanded into non-Keeper-based tournaments, etc, depending on what's considered fair and appropriate by the coordinators, prize-wise.

I also think we should bring the cyclical All Ranks tournaments back.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Shadowlord wrote:To put this out there on the subject of events, a couple years ago we'd bandied about and tried the idea of Keeper tournaments. Just so any Keeper knows, if you want to run a tournament (the prizes typically would include an expendable EF gem or somesuch), I'm perfectly willing to assist in the calling of them, and I know others are too.
Word.

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”