OOC: Duel of Guns BETA Playtesting Thoughts

Out of Character message board and info for the Duel of Guns

How do you feel about the current "Kill-Shot" rules?

I think that permanent death is an exciting option for this setting. I wish there weren't so many ways to opt out.
7%
I think that the current system is great. Players who want permanent death as an option have it, while others have a fair way of opting out with the "save" feature.
21%
I don't mind Kill-Shots, since there's a way for me to opt out. I think that 5 WoL is a little steep, though, even with weekly resets.
36%
I'm kind of scared to play this with Kill-Shots, even with an opt out. It could possibly deter me from being active, especially if it happens to me multiple times.
14%
I wouldn't give this a chance with any form of permadeath included in the system, no matter what.
7%
Too soon to tell. Needs more playtesting.
14%

Total votes: 14
Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

OOC: Duel of Guns BETA Playtesting Thoughts

Post by Vanion Shadowcast »

Please, post any thoughts you have about the matrix or rules of the game here as we playtest. I won't make any changes until after BETA is over, but I may make some small adjustments at that point based on the feedback that I get. Two things that were mentioned to me, privately:

1) Pistol Whip seems like an odd technique, since everything else is a ranged attack. Would it be better suited with another name?

2) Some folks are concerned about "Kill-Shots", despite my addition of rules that allow you to opt out of them (both, by using the matrix to avoid them, or by requesting a save from your caller in PM and spending 5 WoL to get medical assistance). What are your thoughts on the opt-in/opt-out permadeath system?
Last edited by Vanion Shadowcast on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

Post by Vanion Shadowcast »

I added a poll here, because I'm very curious as to the popular thought towards Kill-Shots. It's probably the biggest question-mark left for me to make a call on after BETA. You can read about the Kill-Shot rules here, by scrolling down.
RDL Yuknon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by RDL Yuknon »

I also wanted to talk about how "calling" will work once DoG goes live. My goals are definitely to run an event that may help bolster overall activity and interest in ROH, create a new and fun environment for people to experiment with that doesn't affect what happens elsewhere in Rhy'Din, and to work alongside the other dueling administrators to ensure that DoG is not negatively impacting other areas of our community.

My current plan is to act as the primary caller for DoG nights and tournaments. If I'm swamped to the point where I have more duels in my queue than duels that I am actively calling (as of right now, I am pretty comfortable calling four of these duels at a time, and am hoping to work my way up to six by the end of BETA testing), I may enlist a back-up or two to help me out. These would be folks that I know understand the rules very well, are willing to help out.

Most importantly, I'd be looking to pull folks as extra help only when absolutely necessary, and without dipping into caller resources for other sports. That's important to me. I'd rather folks wait a few minutes to duel and roleplay in the meantime, than burn out folks who are already active callers in other sports.

This profile will ultimately be the "official profile" that runs DoG once it launches. The RDL tag infront of his name is to make it clear that he's a caller for DoG.

Keep with the feedback. Use this forum! I never mind talking in private, but at some point, it'd be great to get a community conversation moving here where everyone can most directly benefit.
Arthour
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Your best bet is at the Red Dragon Inn or Bristle Crios, doing paper work...

Post by Arthour »

There are only two things I can say that could be criticism.

The kill shots are, obviously, a point of concern. Who wants to work on a char and then have them shot? BUT. There is a mechanism in place to save from perma-death, so actually that isn't a problem at all really...

The other thing is the matrix is perhaps a little hard to read for the first time. Then again, at first, they *all* are, so it might just be a need of getting used to it, but maybe tweaking the way it looked might help? I might only be having more troubles cos I just struggle to read it the way it is, so take it with a grain of salt :D

Now that I've said that though, I do have one more thing, the rules in general can be a little hard to navigate through. It might help to add more exampled of how the various rules are put into effect, and perhaps clearer language? I dunknow, just something you can think about!

Over all, I really enjoyed the Test the other night! Great fun and looking forward to when this goes live! :D
Family's where the heart is.

Teacher at the Academy of Bristle Crios,
Representative of Bristle Crios.
RDL Yuknon
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by RDL Yuknon »

Great! The read-ability of the matrix is definitely a concern of mine. I designed this one different than the matrices on the DZN site (they use "<" and "^" to direct you to what wins/loses, instead of the abbreviated name). Would that be more helpful? Is the matrix too large for folks' screens? (I've only seen it from my own, to be honest.) What might make it easier to comprehend?

As far as the rules go, I can take a stab at adding some more examples. If there are any sections or specific language that you guys struggle with, let me know what it is. Writing game-rules can be tough, so I want to make sure I do what I can to be as clear as possible.
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

RDL Yuknon wrote:Great! The read-ability of the matrix is definitely a concern of mine. I designed this one different than the matrices on the DZN site (they use "<" and "^" to direct you to what wins/loses, instead of the abbreviated name). Would that be more helpful? Is the matrix too large for folks' screens? (I've only seen it from my own, to be honest.) What might make it easier to comprehend?
The matrices on DZ are mostly just a collection of matrices that were already being used by community members. <^ just happened to be the format some person or another came up with for their use.

I'm always happy to host other formats if people come up with easier to read versions. (Preferably in formats that can be edited later in case of matrix changes.)
Gren Blockman
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Gren Blockman »

One of the things I like about DoS, DoM, and DoF, is there is no perma-death. It do feel it would be a deterrent for me to bring my "established" characters in to duel, even with the opt-out. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't try it with other characters specifically tailored to just Duel of Guns.

Return to “G&A OOC”