Council Verdict

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Council Verdict

Post by Kalamere »

Fellow Duelists and Patrons of the Arena,

In the matter of the Overlord challenge issued by Vincent Smith to Vanion Shadowcast, the Baron's Council has come to the following ruling.

Firstly, the Overlord title has been vacated as a result of Vanion's failure to appear. There is much speculation as to the fate of the now former Overlord and most of us hope him alive and at least relatively well. Having failed to appear in his own defense, however, and having made no contact since, we feel the mantle must be seen to and awarded to another duelist.

Vanion's successor as Overlord shall be selected by way of baronial tournament. While the council is not bound by precedent in its deliberations, this outcome has the most weighty history behind it as a means of filling the vacated seat and was selected in a 4-2 decision of the voting barons. At this time there is no set date or format for the event, but the matter is in the capable hands of Corlanthis Wystansayr.

This has been an unfortunate turn of events for Mr. Smith, who first waited quite some time for an agreeable date on which to press his challenge to Vanion and now must further await a new Overlord before potentially re-challenging. As SoA are an asset that deteriorate over time and much of his has already been wasted, Vinny will receive a non-transferable challenge grant in their place. The grant may be used against baron or Overlord at any time before the start of the Summer cycle (subject to all the other normal challenge rules). Additionally, if he so desires, Mr. Smith may use this grant to join the baron's tournament mentioned above.

Respectfully,

Kalamere Ar'Din
Senior Baron
Jaycy Ashleana
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Sassiest

Post by Jaycy Ashleana »

::A note is added to the official decision notice, meant to supplement the historical record.::

Dragon's Gate voted for the new Overlord to be selected via Baronial tournament and Vinny be given a non-transferable grant.

Jaycy
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

For the historical record:

New Haven also elected to go with the Baronial tourney as the means to decide a new Overlord.

Each member of the council was offered an opportunity to present their argument(s) and to sway the opinions of the other members.

I found the arguments of Kalamere and Jaycy the most compelling.

For myself, my position was thus:
While I appreciate the argument that Vinny did his part and deserves his shot, and were this a Baronial challenge in question, I would favor a named defender. However, the title in question is Overlord. The duelist who, at least in theory, represents the best of us. It is for this reason that I favor a Baronial tourney to name the next Overlord. The title of Overlord is a weighty thing, and one which affects all Barons who must then declare an allegiance (Loyal or Renegade) with respect to that Overlord. One could argue that the very tone of the Arena is therefore set by he or she who is Overlord. The title of Overlord is one of higher merit than Baron, and the difficulty in attaining that noble station should be reflective of that status.

I do not see this as a punishment towards Vinny (hence the recommendation he be offered a chance to participate in the Baronial tourney) but rather a recognition of the higher value we place upon the supreme title. Hopefully, Vinny would see it likewise.
Should Vincent elect to enter the tournament, I wish him luck. I know him to be a worthy opponent.

Jake Thrash
Baron of New Haven
Morgan le Fay
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Morgan le Fay »

Old Market went with precedent of years' past and voted for Baronial tourney, with an invitation extended to Vinny.

In other words, I found Kalamere's and Jaycy's arguments the most compelling in making my decision.
Morgan le Fay
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

An addendum to the above verdict, or perhaps a clarification.

I originally stated that a challenge pursuant to the grant will be "subject to all the other normal challenge rules", which is not entirely accurate.

While all the standard notification and timing rules apply, as well as queues of challenge and rights of newly turned renegade barons. The clauses that protect the Overlord from challenge when there is a majority of loyal barons (or all loyal barons) shall not.

Specifically, this section:
The rules wrote:Challenges to the Overlord by Warlord.

1. If the Entire Barons Council is composed of Loyal Barons, a Warlord will be unable to challenge the Overlord.
2. If the Overlord has a majority of Loyal Barons, a Warlord must have permission of a Renegade Baron in order to challenge. That Baron relinquishes their ability to challenge for the remainder of the cycle.
Sorry for not being clear on that originally,
~Kal
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

For the record:

For the first two weeks after the new OL is crowned, Vinny's grant will supercede any and all other Overlord challenges.

This is an official ruling.
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.

Return to “The Arena”