Out of Character message board for the Duel of Magic

Moderator: Staff

Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Duel of Magic: Tag Team League

Post by Spell »

Since I've had a few players IM me about it. Would there be any interest in this idea?

The basic idea being..

2 or 3 players per team.
Each week teams are set up to fight each other.
Goes on until a set week, then top 4 with highest win / loss ratio will go on to playoffs.

They duke it out in single elim tournament style and see who is the tag-team league champions of DoM.

I don't think DoM can support a full magic league of 5ish players per team, but starting out small like this and possibly drawing interest could gain it something like that in the future.

This league wouldn't be happening any time soon, I'm only posting this to gauge interest.
Fourth
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Fourth »

I love events, I love teams, I love tourneys. We see what the recent tourneys have done for other sports, this might help boost DoM.

I think it's a good idea and I'd do it for sure.
Blue
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Blue »

DoM tournament, small teams? I like it. Tag team? Spread out over a few days / weeks? I like it more.
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

I'm not 100% going to promise something with the off chance I might not be able to fulfill everything.

I'm looking to set it the tag-team league up with a Twilight Isle oriented storyline that helps reflect the setting, along with possibly adding ways for non-duelists to be involved. Either as vendors selling weekly at the staging ground or some other sort of way.

So with the whole thing I'd like to attempt to promote both learning / playing the Duel of Magic game and also Role Playing.
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

Here's some nutshell stuff on the RP Lore that's going to happen in the Tag Team League.

FACTIONS

The Shadow Legion
Faction Leader: Lady Plaguetrest
Motto: Forgive. Never Forget.

The Shadow Legion are a group of undead who were once under the command of former Archmage Jesse. They were freed of their bondage by Lady Plaguetrest and fled to a nameless isle of frost far south of Twilight Isle. They return to the Dead Wastes from the east sea and have created their faction stronghold on the beach. Their reason for returning is to hopefully raise their fallen allies who were destroyed during the RASG bombings; allowing them the choice to return to the fold or embrace afterlife and leave undeath behind.

The Mighty Stag
Faction Leader: Prince Reavel Dwin'annia of the Forest Elves
Motto: May the forest bless us.

The Mighty Stag seek to heal the land of the Dead Wastes and purge it of the undead taint that lingers like a poisonous miasma. Their druids have already begun attempts at forest regrowth but the Shadow Legion's activities have halted all progress. Their stronghold is in the forests just west of of the Dead Wastes

Twilight Isle Goblin Squad
Faction Leader: Grummy
Motto: Whut?

Lead by the shadowy figure head only known as `Grummy`. The Goblins of Twilight Isle have teamed together to create the NEUTRAL FACTION of the Tag-Team League. Their stronghold is smack dab in the middle of the Dead Wastes where they allow anyone passage inside. Their reasons for contesting the Dead Wastes are purely selfish and even stupid. They want to do what goblins do best... Cause trouble and blow things up! Who cares about anything else?

The Goblin stronghold will be where non-duelists and neutral duelists may set up their vendor shops.

Why seek the aid of adventurers?

The shadow legion has numbers but lack the guerrilla tactics and magical abilities of the Forest Elves. The Forest elves lack the Shadow Legions numbers. This has created a stalemate between both sides. The Dead Wastes is a contested area and skirmishes from both sides can be seen off in the distance.

The leaders, Lady Plaguetrest of the Shadow Legion and Prince Reavel Dwin'annia of the Mighty Stag, have sent out requests seeking aid from the Twilight Isle community. Instead of wasting time, resources and creating heavy losses on both sides; they intend to run a tournament to see who will claim the Dead Wastes. Only those worthy to carry their banners will meet and fight.

As for the goblins? They don't care. They do what they want. Both sides neither hate or like them... they are just, you know, neutral.

This leads into...

FACTIONS: REPUTATION AWARDS

Each faction will have a sort of reward system based on how well you do for them.

How well = How many wins you can gain for them.

An example would be this,

The Mighty Stag

1 Win: The Mighty Stag Banner ( Icon )
2 Wins: 1.5k Silver Nobles for all on the team
3 Wins: Griffin Egg <- Roleplay Award and also an Icon. The griffin is what the Mighty Stag ride into battle with. The egg, RP wise, will hatch a baby griffin that can then grow into a mount.

There will also be a reward for the faction that wins the event and this will be shared by all those who joined that faction.

Locations

The Dead Wastes

The location of the Tower of Death. Destroyed by the RASG during their invasion of Twilight Isle.
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

Game Mechanics

Duelists will have five health points for each player. When one team brings another down to zero -- the fight is over.

There will be Foci.

Nether Ray, Immolation, and Elemental Fury will not be usable unless special criteria are met.

New Player Friendly System -- this taken from the IFL idea of limiting mods vs lower ranked competitors. Higher ranked teams will be unable to use their full foci abilities when fighting those of lower ranked teams. New players who have no rank will be given 1 foci at the start.

Example,

Claire and Jesse ( Mage E. + Mage E. ) vs Melanie and Grace ( No Rank + Sorcerer )
Claire and Jesse have 6 Foci between them, Melanie and Grace only have 3.
Claire and Jesse's Foci are cut to 4 Foci to better balance the match up.

Another example is Claire and Jesse vs two new characters to Duel of Magic. Their 6 mods will be cut to 3 since the two new players only have 2.

Foci Gain

The Tag-Team League will take the current standings before the cut off period where the tournament will begin. Yes, the Retired Duelists List for Duel of Magic can also be used for anyone who is not on the current standings at that time. It is possible to unlock foci ability in the league for every win ( or two wins? ) a player is personally involved in. These will not be added by request, they will be added automatically after the wins take place. This will be capped at 4 foci per player.

Mentor Foci and RoK will have no part in this system.

Banner System

At the start of each week an announcement will be made,

Example: The Banners of the Shadow Legion fly high!

These banners will allow special bonus powers to all those who fight that week. Rank will have no factor in this.

The Shadow Legion Banner — Nether Ray
The Mighty Stag Banner — Immolation
The Twilight Isle Goblin Squad Banner — Elemental Fury ( Once per tag-team match )

Tag-Team Rules

DoF Tag Team Rules
DoS Tag Team Rules

These will be used as a good example. The DoM system will be much of the same, except for DoM movesets - etc.

Length

Depends on sign ups. I'd like to have each team be able to fight one another at least once. Teams will meet up each week and face their scheduled match ups on whatever day the league will be held. The final four teams will be chosen out of those who held the best win rate of the season. The playoffs will be a single elimination tournament held on a single night to crown the winners of the Duel of Magic Tag Team League.
Arthour
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Your best bet is at the Red Dragon Inn or Bristle Crios, doing paper work...

Post by Arthour »

I like the sound of this~
Family's where the heart is.

Teacher at the Academy of Bristle Crios,
Representative of Bristle Crios.
Blue
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Blue »

Any time table for when you'd like to run this, Spell?
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

Blue wrote:Any time table for when you'd like to run this, Spell?
Depends. With IFL coming up soon and soon after DoS Madness, I'd need to find out the time tables of those before choosing any date.

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”