The Gauntlet

Seek the places where light meets dark, there you will find tales of inexplicably intertwined realms both near and far.

Moderators: King, Claire Gallows, Cooper Gallows

Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Currently? In this Rhy'Din...which is really weird.

The Gauntlet

Post by Jade Alcar »

"It's out of the way but it seems to work out alright for training. Nobody to hear when things get explosive." Jade cracked a wry grin as she hiked through the woods south of the city proper. The clearing would be coming up soon, as evidenced by the various broken and charred limbs of trees here and there. As they tromped through the forest, she retraced the familiar path until they emerged in the clearing. The size of a football field, it was littered with downed tree trunks and other obstacles that looked well used where they laid. "Here we are...what do you think?"

Following her as she lead the way with a light nod to her words. "Probably best that we pick a place that no one but us knows about." Murmured softly in return, with a glance to her to her mentioning blowing things up, with him looking around as he noted the broken and charred limbs here and there. "You done this?" Murmured as he came to a stop beside her with a glance around, then back to her. "This will be perfect."

"Gabe and I train down here, but I don't think he'll mind me telling you." She said softly, a small smile gracing her lips as she broke through the tree line to step out onto the matted grass that was just starting to turn green in the early spring sunlight. Wearing boots rather than her usual flats, she tucked the edge of her jeans --no dress, what a shocker!--, into them and glanced back up to him. "Yeah, not much of a challenge just with flat land, you know?"

Another light nod to her mentioning her brother, before looking to her with a light smile of his own. "I won't tell anyone." Murmured as he was dressed in his normal attire from home, this time without the cloak for once as he looked around. Moving up to stand beside her, with a light nod to her words. "True. Will teach one how to use the terrain and how to adapt to it."

"Thank you." The murmur left her lips as she lifted a foot up on the first rock leading up onto a pile of stones that provided quite the obstacle or cover, depending on how it was utilized. One hand came to settle on her hip and she nodded, rolling her shoulders to adjust the beast of a sword that was strapped to her back. "It doesn't quite compare to the setup back home, but it'll do, ya know? Where would you like to start?"

"Welcome." Murmured in return as he looked around to take note of the layout of the football field sized area, trying to place the various types of obstacles to memory, before looking back to her. With a tilt of the head to the beast of a sword that she carried, and tried not to chuckle as it was easily bigger than she was. "Yes it will." Murmured then tilted his head. "What were you planning on teaching me?"

Jade probably looked rather silly with the sizable weapon on her back, but it didn't seem to weigh her down in the least despite her short stature and slight frame. Stepping up onto the rock, she positioned herself so she was just slightly taller than Max and shot him a cocky grin. "Depends on what you wanna learn. I mean, like we talked about, there's the arcane and the sword work, I can help you with each. My unarmed isn't as good, I usually have to resort to evasion more than fighting." She shrugged. "Up to you."

Max tilted his head as he noted that while she looked rather amusing with that massive beast on her back. Yet it did seem to affect her at all, as he watched her as she moved up onto the rock to be slightly taller than himself. "Well." Pondering that for a moment each one for a few silent moments. "I can handle a sword well enough, and I can help you with unarmed." Murmured. "How long would it take for you to teach me the arcane?" Using her term for it.

"Well." Jade began much like he did. "We'd first have to figure out if you've got it in you or if we need something to channel it. You know, like there are rings and gauntlets and wands and stuff." She fluttered her fingers to demonstrate each one, little puffs of glittering light leaving her fingertips. "Besides, are you sure you want to learn that aspect of things?"

Turning to face her as he gave her his full attention as she started to explain things on the possibility of her teaching him in the matter of the arcane. With a light nod here and there to her words, as he watched the little puffs of glittering light leaving her fingertips. "How would we find out if I have it in me?"

Jade pursed her lips when he asked, tilting her head to one side as she tried to decide. "You know, that's a very good question. Typically if you aren't sure, it can take a rather intense amount of emotion to make it surface...have you ever been super mad or way happy or excited or sad and had odd things happen? Stuff you can't always explain away normally?"

Tilting his head as he waited for her to answer before blinking for a moment. "Well." He seemed to be pondering on how to explain this. "When I am hunting with my family. At times I tend to enter into this uncontrollable type of rage." Now rubbing the back of his neck, as he was trying to keep from saying the one thing that he knew she frowned about him. "That's about the only time I tend to notice anything like that."

A noticeable frown curved her lips downward, hand on her hip as she thought it over. "So...dragon's make you angry and then you...what? Go like Hulk smash mode?" The cogs were turning as she considered her course of action, one hand slipping into her pocket to pull a pendant made of a purple-black rock on a white gold chain and offering it out to him. "Put this on. Don't break the chain, please. Put down your swords." As she spoke, she was hauling the beast sword from her shoulders and gently setting it down.

He frowned to seeing her frowning at him with him lowering his gaze a bit, before nodding softly to her words. Missing the look of her thinking it over as well as planning her course of action on the matter, before hearing her speaking again. Tilting his head as he looked between her and the white gold chain she was holding out towards him, before nodding softly. First laying down his swords, before walking towards her. "What will this do?" Murmured as he slowly took it from her.

"It might help bring out whatever you might have in you." She said with a shrug. As he walked toward her, Jade walked backwards, careful steps guiding her through the battlefield that was the glen's clearing. "What makes you angry, Max? Concentrate on that." She was shedding her coat as she spoke, tossing it off to one side haphazardly. She could get it later.

"I see." Murmured as he slipped the chain on as he watched her as she started to back up from him, getting him to tilt his head. With him slowly following her, before nodding lightly before shutting his eyes. Focusing his mind on what mad him angry, as he called to mind the stories that he had been told about his family.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

Jade watched as he slid the pendant on, making sure it came to rest against his chest. As he closed his eyes, she took the opportunity to slip out of view, utilizing her bond with the shadows to dance from place to place with ease. "Think about the dragon that caused you to come here. How it split up your family. How your father came back only to not be seen again." Each sentence was taunted toward him from a different location, her words seeking to infuriate him further. "Think about what has become of your family since coming here. All because of those stupid, filthy, overgrown lizards."

Missing that she had used her gift to slip in and out of the shadows to move from place to place with ease, yet caught her words as she spoke them. With him doing as she asked. Thinking about the dragon that forced his family to come to this place and split them up, and how they have only seen a glimpse of his father. If she watched closely, she just might catch a faint haze of red around him. Hinting in to that power that he mentioned about earlier, with it steadily getting stronger when she mentioned what his family has become since coming here. That was till she called dragons stupid and filthy overgrown lizards, causing his eyes to snap open and started to look around. A low growl echoing in his throat that might of made her hidden dragon side proud to hear.

As she hurled taunt after tormenting taunt at him, she touched her words with a little enchantment that made them linger in the air, getting louder and louder until they drowned out even the growl that came from him. Jade aimed to push him from afar, knowing it could prove dangerous should she get too close to him in this state. But still, she drifted closer. "Get angry, Max. Push me back." She urged him, her softer words slipping in under the veil of taunts that hung around him.

Continuing to growl as he looked around, with that haze slowly starting to take hold in his eyes as the taunts continued to hover in the air around him. Still not able to pick out where she was taunting him from, before those softer words hit his ears. "You have done nothing to me." Growled out towards her as she started to drift closer, perhaps a small hint that he knew what she was doing and couldn't bring himself to turn this rage on her.

Jade narrowed her eyes as he fought her but not in the way she had been expecting. Huffing, she decided she simply hadn't pushed him enough and sneaked closer as the crueler words lingered around him. "Have I not? I speak for my kind when I say we hold good will for you and yours. Or are you going to simply watch your family fall apart?" She taunted, the shift in each syllable holding a deeper, more draconic boom to it, sure to fill his ears with vitriol and contempt. She deserved an academy award for this performance, really. Sneaking up behind him, she planted her hands against his back and gave him a shove. "Get. Mad!"

He figured she would be rather grumpy with him as he was fighting her in this, but at the same time. It would be showing her, that at least when it came to her. He knew she didn't mean him any harm even as those words floated around him. Even as the words got crueler. "You aren't the one that caused this to happen." Snapped at her rather suddenly to her comment on how his family was being torn apart, as her tone was more dragonic now. Yet while it caused the desired effect of causing him to become angry, but it wasn't aimed at her. With him whirling around after she shoved him. "You aren't the one that I am angry at." She'd see that he was in fact angry, as that haze in his eyes seemed to pulse along with that anger flowing through him. But she'd note that he hadn't lifted a finger to strike out at her as hands were bailed up into fists, with his entire frame shaking now.

Now he was pissing her off. So much for uncontrollable rage. Brows furrowed, she pondered and peered up at him once he whirled around. "Damn it, Max. Get. Angry. Push with all you have. Just let it out." She implored him and with a flick of her fingers, behind him he would hear a deafening roar, unmistakable for what it was. A dragon. Behind him, he would find a hulking beast, not a shred of humanity evident in the creature, perhaps something more resembling what he was used to back home. Jade had just summoned the creature and not only that, but led him far enough away from his weapons, he wouldn't be getting back to them any time soon.

Continuing to shake as he just couldn't bring himself to hurt her, as he knew what she was trying to do. As he was just about to answer her when he heard that roar behind him, getting him to whirl around to face it. With his own growl deepening as he glared at that hulking beast that looked so much like what he was used to back home. Noticing that he didn't have his weapons on him, as he started to slowly aim to move watching the beastie the whole time.

Once he turned to focus on the dragon, she directed it to stay between him and his weapons, plumes of smoke rose from its nostrils. It wasn't a real dragon, but it sure looked and felt like it. It was a fairly intricate bit of illusionary magic, and it took quite a bit of her attention but when it spewed fire in such a way that would send him further away from his weapons, it definitely felt like real fire, sure to singe him if he didn't move.

Another growl from him as he noted that it looked real enough to him as he was quickly processing just what type of dragon that it was. For the moment he had completely forgot about Jade being there, before he dove to the side and out of the way of that blast of fire. Knowing that without his weapons, that it would be foolish to attack.

Each footfall from the dragon brought about a rumble in the ground beneath his feet and it seemed to be trying to back him into a corner. Somewhere out of sight, Jade poured the entirety of her concentration into the task, her will flowing forth to immerse the clearing in the illusion. While she didn't think he would attack unarmed, she was trying to push him to do just that. And while she wasn't one to typically intrude, if his mind could be accessed, he might hear her voice over the roar of the dragon in front of him, "Find a way to fight, Max. Use what you have."

Continuing to shift here and there when needed to keep his footing as well as to keep a bit of distance between himself and the dragon in front of him, giving him time to react when needed. Still missing that it was an illusion that she had created, not yet making a move to attack. Normally someone invading his mind would tick him off, yet hearing Jade's voice got him to quickly scan the area. Looking for anything, something that could be used to help him out to fight.

From her hiding place, she watched as he searched his surroundings and he would surely hear a soft sigh of hers in his mind and then, "Within you, Max. Don't rely on what's around you." Though if he looked, there was plenty that could be used, either for cover or to fight. It was up to him what route he took but he needed to decide quickly because that dragon was closing in quickly.

Hearing that soft sigh from her got him to growl a little more, before he finally acted. With him moving rather quickly to move here and there, aiming to find cover when it was open to him. Yet along the way he would snag a rather strong looking tree branch along the way, as he appeared to be using the places for cover to use to keep and eye out for an opening. Having no weapon on his person, as he aimed to time the breaking of one end of that branch with a roar from the dragon. To make a make shift spear.

In his mind, he would surely hear her growl right back and then utter silence as she severed the connection, frustrated. The dragon bore down on him and with a beating of its wings, blasted him with a gale force wind that could have easily taken a grown man off his feet. Again it roared and blew another blast of fire that swept across the clearing, leaving smoldering wreckage in its wake. While she was impressed with his ability to think on his feet, she felt he was missing the point of this exercise. Around his neck, he would feel as though the pendant was weighing him down, steadily getting heavier and heavier. In his fingertips, a low hum could be felt, like latent electricity just waiting for an outlet.

He heard her growl back at him before the connection was cut off, as he continued to move when that dragon bore down upon him, before it took to the sky. That blast from it's wings sent him tumbling backwards, before it roared again and unleashed another blast of fire. With him moving to get out of the way, with another timed rolling dodge to the side. Only to growl more as she'd note that branch started to crack in the hand that held it, sparking with the very latent electricity that was there. Before he sudden threw that makeshift spear at the dragon, but that wasn't the only thing thrown. As if spurred on by some hidden desire, Max seemed to at the moment at least poured ever bit of the anger that was coursing through him into that low hum. With a rather primal growl coming from him. Seems she finally got him to snap.

"Good...good..." She said softly to herself, before doubling her effort and pouring everything she had into the dragon's attack, an ear shattering roar leaving its toothy maw. Once Max finally snapped, the dragon landed and tried to bat him aside as the spear pierced its thick hide and the electrical current ran through it, inducing another tree shaking roar. Jade was running low on energy though, and he might notice that the dragon flickered momentarily, a flash of lightning and swirling black and purple smoke rising from its body.

Still growling as he hurled that spear and growled a bit more when it managed to pierce its thick hide, causing it to roar out again. Just able to duck and roll under the swipe, as it seemed to just be pure instinct that drove him now. As that burst of electricity seemed to be focused on that spear, with him breathing harder now. Just noticing that the dragon flickered for a moment, before the surge of everything from him took it's toll on him. As he dropped to a knee with one hand pressed against the ground, leaving his gasping for air.

One moment the dragon was there, the next it was gone, leaving the clearing as it was before. Jade ever so slowly crawled out from her hiding place with a small groan. It wasn't every day that she conjured up an immersive illusion like that. As Max knelt down, her eyes widened and she pushed herself to hurry to him, skidding to a stop in front of him before dropping down on her knees in front of him. "Max, are you okay? Look at me..."

He was to busy gathering his breath to notice that the dragon disappeared, before looking up once he realized that he hadn't been attacked, and now noticed that it was gone. His gaze then moved to Jade when she rushed to him and dropped down in front of him. Looking at her as his mind recalled everything that lead up to the previous moment, before nodding lightly. "Yeah...just..tired."

A soft shudder racked her body and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, leaning up on her knees to tug him close. "You did well. Good job..." She said tiredly, though the pride was evident despite her fatigue. It was far too tempting to rest against him but she knew he was probably tired as well so begrudgingly, she got back up to her feet, swaying unsteadily as she offered out a hand to him. "That's enough for today..."

Shifting as she moved to wrap her arms around him, with him moving an arm around her to hug her close. "Thank you." Murmured as he sounded like he had been run through the ringer, as for the moment he just held her with that one arm. When she pulled away to stand, he took the offered one and slowly rose to his feet as well. "Aye. You will have to..tell me what happened."

Slipping an arm around his waist from the side, she gave him a smile and a nod. "I can later. Let's...go rest..." She murmured and brushed her free hand back through her hair as she tried to lead him back toward their weapons so they could gather their things and leave. "Seems you've got 'something', that's for sure."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[April 9th]

Jade had barely spoke to him all day, Max's grandfather's words hanging heavily over her as she tried to focus on their next training session. The blade she had used countless times felt awkward and clumsy in her hands as it clashed against Max. Her brows furrowed and as she unlocked the clash of steel on steel, she took step back and pulled the giant sword back to rest against her shoulder. Feeling like she should be saying more to him. Well, more than training related things.

Max had noted that Jade was rather silent all day long, as he had a feeling to what was troubling her. With him noting that she had been rather off since they ran into his grandfather and everything the two had said to the other. As he easily blocked the massive sword, with him noting that she was really off in her sparring. When she rested it to her shoulder, he would lower his swords. "Jade. You are distracted." Murmured softly as he shifted to sheath his swords. "Say what is on your mind, and don't say that nothing is. I have been around you long enough to know when you are troubled."

"It's nothing, Max." She said without hesitation even though he had blatantly said not to do that. Jade shrugged and leaned the tip of the blade against the ground while it sat angularly against her shoulder, her finger fiddling with the handle. Eventually a sigh escaped her lips. "We're fighting an uphill battle, Max. I should have just...kept my mouth shut." She said softly though her words were easily heard in the tranquil quiet of the woods.

Narrowing his eyes slightly at her as she went ahead and done what he told her not to do, before shaking his head softly. "I don't want you to ever keep your mouth shut." Murmured softly as he took a few steps towards her, close enough to place his hand over one of her own. "What is troubling you about when we ran into my grandfather?"

She glanced up at him as his hand came to rest over her own, prompting a tighter curl of her fingers around the handle of her blade. Her shoulders rocked in a tight shrug, pinching upwards and slow to relax back down. "Maybe people can't change...maybe things can't change. And maybe I'm asking too much of you. The last thing I want is for you to have issues in your family." Spoken quickly and quietly, she went silent soon after.

Keeping his eyes on her's when she looked up at him, before slowly trying to take her hand into his own, giving it a soft squeeze. "But I have changed, as here I am with you. Looking past that you are part dragon, wishing to spend my time with you because I care very deeply about you." Murmured softly. "Just as you have changed in turn and looked past that in my homelands where I am from. That I hunted dragons." Another murmur and squeeze of her hand. "He called you a remarkable woman, and I agree with him. You are a remarkable woman."

The warmth of his hand around hers coaxed a small squeeze of her fingers against his in return, stifling the soft sigh that threatened to escape. "And when you go home and go right back to that? What then? How much more difficult would it be to overlook it then? It's easy here...when we only have to worry about each other. Like living in our own little world where what we are doesn't matter." She said softly before blinking a few times in disbelief. "Excuse me, what? I think I misheard you."

Another squeeze of her hand as he shifted his own to try and coax her into interlacing her fingers with his own. "I will worry about when and if I go home if that day ever arrives. For now I want to focus on what we have right here and now." Murmured softly to her before a light smile crossed his lips. "He called you a remarkable woman, and I agree."

Shifting the handle of the sword to set against her shoulder, she slipped her fingers through his. "You can't blame me for thinking about it. If I can go home, certainly you'll find a way too..." She whispered, the worry evident in her voice. His smile was matched with an upward tug of the corners of her mouth. "R-really? I...um...well...wow. Okay...even knowing what...I am?"

Shifting to make it easier on them both as he moved to stand beside her, perhaps followed with him trying to coax her into walking with him. "I have thought about it as well, Jade." Murmured as he squeezed her hand again. "Really." Nodding softly. "And I think he has a feeling that you have some dragon in you, but not for sure. I didn't confirm it." Murmured softly.

As he moved, she did as well, arcing the beast of a sword up and over her shoulder to latch it against her back. Hand in hand, she let him lead the way, she pinned her bottom lip between her teeth and once more squeezed his hand in return. "I think about it a lot..." She admitted with a soft sigh. "He'd be stupid not to know...with the things I said. I mean, had I been any more blatant, I would have pulled the dragon form out right then and there." Not that she would do that. Not in a million years.

Lightly swinging their arms as they started to walk together, with a glance to her as she sheathed that massive beast of a sword. Followed with a tilt of his head. "Try not to worry about it." Murmured softly as he knew she would anyways. "Still." Pausing his words for a moment. "It is something that he called you that even knowing that you are part dragon." Murmured softly to her.

Carefully not to swing their arms too far back just to avoid hitting the angularly situated sword on her back, she shrugged gently. "I can't help it. I worry about...not seeing you anymore." Jade murmured in return, true to form just like he thought she would be. Glancing up at him, she blinked once or twice before looking out for where they were walking again. "Well. I'm just as equally human-ish as I am dragonish. So...that's something."

Matching the swing of their arms so not to hit the sword on her back, before nodding softly. "I know." Murmured with another squeeze of her hand, lasting much longer than the last. "True, but he only knows that you are part dragon. Not that you are part goddess as well." Then a light smile. "Or a princess."

"Because none of those things really matter, Max. There is no royal throne in my future, no mantle to be taken if something happens to my mother since she'll more than likely pass the job to Gabe, and the dragon blood doesn't make me who I am. None of it does, really. I'm...just Jade." She shrugged, quieting down after her rambling lament, dropping her gaze to the ground as they walked, careful not to trip over anything.

"It is the same with me, Jade." Murmured softly. "Back home my family is very respected because of what we have done there. Nor does it matter that I took part in it there as well. Remember that I told you that I was always the male family member that was overlooked." Squeezing her hand again. "It took coming here for me to find someone that I want to be with, and can see myself starting a family with one day in the future."

"Well then, I'll be just Jade and you be just Max and can just enjoy what time we have here and now, yes?" Trying to put a positive spin on it all, she squeezed his hand and pulled it up to her mouth to press a gentle kiss to his knuckles. And then she faltered, nearly tripping over her own feet before stumbling and catching herself on his arm. "Um...what? Yeah um that's a ways off so like um...are you hungry? Let's get lunch."

"Agreed. From now on we won't worry about anything else other than enjoying each other's company." Smiling a bit down to her before shaking his head to her kissing the top of his hand. "I'm supposed to do that." Teasing her in a murmur, before shifting to catch her as she stumbled, sure to see her blushing up at him. "You heard me." Murmured as she tried to dance around the subject. "Lunch sounds good."

Winding her arm around his, she stepped in close once she recovered from her near fall, her face blazing with heat as red crested in her cheeks. "Let's head back into town then...after I have a few things to get done, but we can hang out after? This vendor down by the docks gets fresh shipments today so maybe I'll make us something good to eat for dinner."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[April 9th -- Later That Evening]

After leaving the Arena since he was mainly there to catch the Madness match, Max headed to the inn where Jade was waiting on him, as he headed right up to the room and inside. Shutting the door behind him as he removed the cloak and looked around for her as he moved to hang it up.

Jade didn't seem to be there. At least not at first glance. There was a shuffle on the floor on the far side of the bed out of view. A soft whine and a faint scratching that sounded like metal on metal. When he shut the door though, the sound went quiet and any movement went still.

Tilting his head to catching the whine and faint scratching of metal on metal, as he took quick glance around. Checking to make sure the room was in order, before slowly heading towards the bed. "Jade?" Tone easily hinted at concern and worry.

If he looked closely, there seemed to be a trail of blue-white liquid, from the shadows under the table to the source of the sound next to the bed on the floor. When he spoke her name, a soft whine sounded and another shuffle as it sounded like something might have been crawling under the bed.

Looking to the blue white liquid coming from one of the shadows, and followed it towards the source of the sound next to the bed. Stepping around the side and seemed to just miss where the whine was coming from, before kneeling down to look under the bed. "Jade?" That worried tone got a touch stronger now.

Bright aqua eyes peered out from under the bed at him, looking rather sad as whoever those eyes belonged to shuffled back further into the dark. A soft shake of its head and if he got close enough he might have been able to pick up on the scent of a dragon. And blood. Quite a bit of it.

Tilting his head to those bright aqua eyes, before slowly sticking a hand under the bed wiggling his fingers in a 'Come here' motion. As he caught the scent of blood as well as the scent of a dragon. Yet something told him that this might be Jade.

With a faint scratching of metal nails against the floor underneath, ever so slowly the little dragon pulled itself out from under the bed. Around its neck was a metallic collar, locked in place and seeming to bite into her scales. Also it looked like she had tried to pry it off with her talons with no success. She limped with each step and still stayed fairly far back from him, whining softly like she was ashamed of him seeing her like this.

Slowly shifting to move back from the little dragon, with a frown crossing his lips. Taking note of the metallic collar, as well that it was hurting the little dragon. Taking note of the scratch marks on it before slowly moving to try and pick the little dragon up, now knowing that it was Jade. "Shh. Let me help."

He could tell by the eyes that it was her, vibrant aquamarines that held every bit of her in them. The little dragon was pure white with a faint opalescent shimmer to her scales. The white was marred by that same blue-white liquid that seemed to seep from various open wounds including one mark that crossed a scar set diagonally along her back. Another whimpered whine for Max.

That he could do and if she looked up at him, while he was checking her for wounds and how to remove that device. There was still concern in his eyes, yet deeper in to his eyes that hint of anger was trying to flare to life. "Shh." Murmured to her as he moved to sit down on the bed, with her placed in his lap as he as carefully as he could. Tried to remove that collar without hurting her further.

She tucked her wings in tightly against her body as she bowed her head, setting her chin against his leg with a soft whine. Typically she could speak in her dragon form, but something about that collar kept her from doing so as well as from changing back to her preferred form. At the back of her neck, the collar held a complicated clasp, one little dragon talons wouldn't be able to undo.

Using one hand to lightly scratch the top of her head, as he tried to comfort her while he worked to undo the clasp. He noted that she couldn't reach it on her own, and once it was fully cleared of her body. He flung it rather violently across the room, before picking her up again to move towards his cloak. Almost cradling her rather protectively to his body.

She gasped out a breath as he freed that collar from her neck. As he scooped her up and held her close, he might notice a shift in the weight he carried. If he looked down, he was no longer holding the hurt little dragon but a rather nude and still hurt little Jadey. Tears silently ran down her cheeks and she buried her face against his chest as a softer whimper left her lips.

He did notice the shift in the weight, and paused to look down at her. Blinking for a moment yet it soon passed as he let her whimper against his chest as she cried. Carefully looking her over for the wounds he had seen before, to him that was the top priority on his list.

She didn't seem to be bleeding any further but instead had several gashes through her flesh, including several along her neck where she had tried to claw the collar off, one along her back and another around her leg where it looked like something similar to rope had cut into her flesh. Her fingers curled against him and she held him tightly.

Growling softly to seeing that someone had hurt her like this as he shifted to see if they were healing on their own. With him gently caressing her hair. "Who?" Murmured softly to her as he held her against him now. Where she just might feel his frame shaking against her own, hinting that he was holding back his anger.

"I don't know..." She murmured weakly, clinging to him tightly. "Was...flying to get dinner and these...people...caught my leg...I tried to get away..." Her voice came shakily and she whimpered softly against his shirt, her tears soaking into the fabric. "But they put that...that...thing on me and I couldn't...change..." Bursting into tears, she sobbed against his chest, feeling rather little and helpless at the moment.

He nodded softly as he continued to comfort her, while listening to her explaining what happened to her. Just letting her cry into his shirt, before gently leaning her back from him. "Shhh. You are safe now." Murmured to try and coax her to looking up at him. "Try to focus on letting your body heal." Murmured softly again.

Soft sobs were muffled by his chest and she clung to him tightly. At least she wasn't bleeding but damn it hurt. She forgot how much it hurt to have a mortal injury. Leaning her head against him, she closed her eyes, sniffling and making sure not to let him go. "Don't let them hurt me, Max..." She murmured before seeming to fall asleep.

He continued to softly caress her hair as she clung to him, as he noted before that the bleeding had stopped. "Where?" Murmured softly down to her as he shifted to pick her up when she seemed to fall asleep, and moved to carry her towards the bed.

Still clinging to him tightly despite having fallen asleep, she didn't relax in the slightest despite being out hard. "By the harbor..." She murmured in her sleep, refusing to let go even if he set her down on the bed.

"Harbor." Murmured to himself as he noted that she seemed intent of keeping a hold of him, before shifting to lay back on the bed instead. Letting Jade lay over him now, as he would wait till she was fully out, and let him go before heading to the harbor.

It took quite some time for her to let go of him, her hands tightly wound against his shirt until she finally drifted far enough off into sleep that she relaxed. Not even budging when he slipped out toward the harbor.

Carefully moving her to lay on her side as he slipped away from her, as he moved over to his cloak and snatched it down with a glance to her. Followed with him wrapping the cloak around himself before ducking out. Allowing that red hue to fully take hold in his eyes, far darker than it had been before.

Not a single peep from her as he snatched his cloak and moved out, slowly breathing as her body tried to recover from her little run in with the band of men that hung by the bay who took far too much pleasure in capturing flying dragons and selling them into captivity as pets. They were easy to find with their boisterous attitudes and shameless promotion of their job.

Sticking close to the shadows as he made his way through the docks, before coming close enough to hear the men and their shameless promotion of their jobs. Pausing as he listened as he recalled how Jade reacted when some of his own family members acted in the same manner, and now found himself hunting these men down for hurting her. With him scanning over the area and the group to count how many there were and what they were armed with.

All the while she slept soundly back in her room, he was nearing the foursome of men that had done that two her. Two larger burly men and two smaller more agile men. They had the builds of dock workers and looked fairly unkempt. While they didn't seem to be armed with anything horribly dangerous, at least one carried a stun gun and the others had clubs used to sedate riled up dragons they caught. They had at least one chained nearby, the creature fairly injured and collared much the same as Jade had been.

After taking note of the area and the situation. He let out a slow breath before slowly starting towards them, not yet drawing a weapon. "Evening." Murmured just loud enough for them to hear, as he used the cloak to hide that he shifted to draw the twin daggers that he carried along with his swords. Aiming to get close enough to try and surprise them when they turned their attention towards him.

"Oi boyo. Ya a bit young to be down in these parts, aye? Ya lookin for work or business or what have ya?" One of the scrawnier men asked, seeming to be the ring leader. The bored look on his face changed when he caught sight of the daggers, eyes widening. "The hell ya getting at bub?"

"Perhaps." Murmured to the questions asked of him as he stopped just out of range, to try and keep from getting rushed. "You hurt someone that means the world to me." Shifting suddenly as he flicked one of those daggers right at the male that appeared to be the ring leader. "I have come for your lives."

They weren't exactly sure what was going on until it was too late and the smaller man took a dagger to the throat. He clutched at his neck, blood spurting as the other three rushed the lone teenage boy. "Like hell kid, who the hell do ya think ya are?" One of the bigger ones growled, throwing himself at Max in an attempt to tackle him to the ground.

A thin smirk crossed his lips as he took out at least one of the men, before snapping that dagger around. Just in time as one of the bigger men managed to reach him in time to tackle him, but it also allowed Max to thrust that dagger forwards. Aiming to stab the male as they crashed towards the ground.

As the man fell over top of Max, he gasped out a choked breath as the dagger was thrust into his chest. The two other men pulled their batons and somewhere, Max might hear the electric buzz of the stun gun wielded by one of them. While the man that tackled Max tried to wail on him even as he was gasping for breath with a punctured lung, the other two did their damnedest to the knock the stuffing out of him with the clubs.

Max used the limited space to repeatedly stab the male on top of him, as in that anger of his. He seemed to be oblivious to getting hit, before shifting to roll the male off. Losing the dagger in the process, as he tried to shield himself from the blows from the others with his arms and lashed out with kicks. Trying to knock them back so he could get to his feet.

Eventually the heavy man over top of him slumped to the side, the last of his breath leaving him. They continued to try and beat on him to knock him into submission, yelling obscenities as they swung and kicked and hit. "The hell?! He won't go down!" One said to the other as they went stumbling back, giving Max a small amount of space.

Growling out which probably would of made Jade proud as it damn near sound like that of a dragon as he used that small space to scramble to his feet. Once on his feet, with him snapping those swords free as the hood feel back. Fully revealing that dark red glowing hue in his eyes, as he started to stalk the two down.

The one with the stun gun lunged forward to try and shock him with it and the other? Well, he turned tail and ran for the hills, leaving behind all of their stuff and his last comrade to face Max all alone, quickly running away to disappear among the warehouses of the docks.

Making note of the one running, before turning his attention to the one charging at him. Using one sword to try and bat the shocking stick away, before swinging the other one to try and chop his head off. As at the moment he was pretty much blinded by his anger.

Ouchie. That was gonna leave a mark. Even as the stun gun connected with his attacker, the boy's sword hit the last man standing with such force that it nearly took his head off. Catching three quarters of the way through, it wasn't quite enough to kill him instantly, and instead he toppled over, gasping for air through a windpipe that had been sheered open while bleeding out and choking on his own blood.

Growling more as the stun gun managed to cause him to pause for a few moments after it hit, but that was another one dead and out of the way. Shaking the effects of the stun gun off, before moving to stalk after the last male. Not even thinking to bother to hide his swords, as one dripped with the blood of the man just killed.

Leaving quite the mess behind him, it seemed that most of the area around them had cleared out. It was better not to get involved especially when the young man seemed as hell bent on destruction as he was. The last man, rather heavy and slow moving huffed and puffed as he ran, trying to get as far away as possible from the crazed blonde with all of the blades.

He actually didn't even notice that the others were clearing a path for him. Hell some were smart enough to point him in the direction that the heavier man had run in. With him continuing to follow where the few that pointed lead him. Easily catching up to the male. "Turn around."

"D-d-d-dun kill meh!" He croaked out, turning around. He had wet himself, the leg of his dirty pants rather wet. "Please! I got a family! A little lady I love... And kids!" Frantically trying to save his own ***.

Slowly stalking forwards as he tilted his head to the male's pleas. "And you never though that that dragon had a family? Had a loved one? Or kids of her own?!" Once again Jade might have been proud to hear that roar that came from Max.

"Wh-what dragon?! Ya ain't telling me that those overgrown lizards matter. Are ya one of them activists?" Frantic still, this one wasn't very bright.

"The pure white one that you hurt and collared." Growling out at the male as he continued to stalk closer.

"It ain't nothin personal. It's just business and a white one like that will fetch a pretty penny." He said, shrinking back up against the wall behind him.

Narrowing his eyes upon hearing that as he suddenly stepped well within the reach of those swords. "You should of never harmed her. Now you pay the price." Hissed as he aimed to thrust both swords into the male. With the male able to see just how cold Max's eyes were at the moment.

The swords bit through his body like a knife through butter, getting a high pitched cry to leave his lips. The light slowly left his eyes as he stared at his killer until he took his last breath. A gurgle in his throat the last sound he made .

Coldly watching the last of the men die at his hands, before ripping the swords free and sheathing them. Then turned to head back the way he came, not at all bothered that he was more than likely covered in blood now. First heading to get his daggers, before moving back towards the room and Jade, finally starting to feel the effects of the blows that landed and the aftermath of being so angered.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[May 4th]

"Good one." Jade groaned softly, staring up at the open sky over the clearing in the glen. Slowly she rolled over onto her stomach and pushed herself up onto her hands and knees, then up to her her knees, and within a few slow going moments she was back on her feet. "Your aim's getting better." She rubbed at her lower back glancing back at where she had landed. Eventually though, she stretched up onto her tip toes and wandered back across the clearing toward him. "Are we done or do you wanna go best two out of three?"

Taking a moment to catch his breath as he bent over a bit to press his hands against his knees, with a light smile to Jade as she started to pick herself up. Watching her as she done so before nodding lightly to her words. "Well. That's because you done want to rest till I get better." Flashing her a grin before stretching himself, then tilted his head for a moment. "Up to you, teacher." Teasing her as he shifted a bit as she started back towards him.

"You wanted to learn. And the best way to learn is to go hard or go home. Take your pick." She came to a stop ten paces out and settled a hand to her hip. "Besides, this is easy comparatively speaking. You oughta sit in some time when my brothers and I get put through our paces. Dad's relentless." She twisted her back to get a chorus of pops to run its length and exhaled a relieved breath and bent to retrieve the sword he had disarmed her of, giving it a twirl that looked far too simply for such a large blade in such small hands.

"True, and I think that I have proven that I am willing to learn and push myself." Nodding lightly to her choice words of going big or going home, another stretch from him which got his back and shoulders to pop rather loudly. As well as a groan from him as he moved to sit down on a nearby stump. "So..on that." When she mentioned her brothers and father. "Have you heard anything from them?" His brows rose a touch.

Jade quirked a brow as she watched him sit down, hoisting the great sword up to rest the blade against her shoulder."Looks like you're sitting down to me." She teased with a good natured smile, walking a slow and seemingly unintentional circle around him. Huffing out a soft breath at the mention of her family, she rocked a quick shrug of her shoulders. "I see them when I go home. Gabe's back and forth a lot like I am but now that we've got a two way path between realms, my parents feel better about being home while we're here."

Peering at her for a moment as she teased him, before sticking his tongue out at her. "Figured we could take a moment to rest." Huffing at her as he watched her as she walked around him when he could, before nodding lightly to her answer about her family. Not missing the soft huff as well. "You haven't told them about me?" Not like his family really knew about her, not counting his grandfather who seemed to be fine with her.

"Tired?" Another tease, still pacing him slowly rather than taking the aforementioned moment to rest. Chewing her a lip a bit, she watched him as she circled, her sword still set to her shoulder. "Gabe knows about you..." She offered out, not exactly being forthright about the fact she'd hadn't said much about him to the rest of her family.

"A little." Another huff at her as he swatted at her when she passed by in front of him again, before tilting his head to her mentioning that her brother Gabe knew about him. "Oh." Murmured as he looked down as he noted that like him. She hadn't mentioned him to the rest of her family. "What...does he think?"

She wasn't quite close enough for that swat to do anything more than flap air at her and honestly, she was thankful for the breeze. The clearing the woods didn't do much for circulating air so after all of the spent kinetic energy, the stuffiness was near overwhelming. She scratched at her cheek a bit and came to a stop somewhere behind him. "He worries...he's very protective, so honestly I'm surprised he hasn't come to 'have a talk' with you," she said, air quotes and all at the appropriate times. "It might be a hard sell for the rest of them, all things considered..."

Huffing as she was just out of reach to get swatted, as he shifted where he sat as the lack of air wasn't helping matters. With him moving to his feet after a few more moments, to walk over and grab his own sword and sheathed it. "Perhaps I should meet with him, and have that talk with him." Murmured as he turned to face her and started back over to her with a light nod. "I know how you feel." Murmured as he got the feeling it would be a hard sell to the rest of his own family.

As he moved to his feet to head for his own sword, a smirk quirked her lips and she whirled her own blade out to intercept him, coming a fraction of an inch away from him when it came to a stop in front of his chest. "Done?" She asked innocently before crinkling her nose at the thought of Gabe and Max sitting down to talk. "Hmm, I dunno if I like that idea." She mostly feared for Max's safety in a situation like that and finally she clucked her tongue against her teeth. "Let's just...give it time. Keep us to us and they, both sides, can come to us when they're ready?"

He came to a stop when she pointed that large sword at him, as he looked it over then back to her with a slight narrowing of his eyes. "Up to you." Murmured as he trusted her in the matter of his training, before nodding softly. "Perhaps." Murmured again, before nodding lightly. "I agree. I have a feeling that some of my family might listen, but some might not." A slight frown on his own words as he made no move to draw his sword or try to move closer.

Jade watched him, staring down the length of the beast sword as she slowly canted her head to the left. After a long, silent moment she snapped the blade back and hitched it between her shoulder blades with a faint snap of it falling into place. "We're done for today." She said with a single nod. Finality. Somewhere near the edge of the clearing she had left water bottles so soon she was off to track those down, offering one out to him as she did. "What do you think they'll say? I mean, I can imagine what mine'll say or do but I haven't slightest idea for yours."

Tilting his head as he watched her and waited for her to make the choice between continuing or stopping for the day. With a light nod as she sheathed her beast sword over her back again, as well to her choosing to end the training for the day. Moving to sit back down with a scoot to make room for her when she returned, as he took the offered water from her. Twisting the top off for a long sip. "I don't know." Murmured as he looked down at his water. "Last time they thought I was talking to dragons. They wanted to disown me."

Sitting carefully on the stump, she adjusted so that the blade on her back didn't drag too terribly. Leaning forward, she popped the lid from the bottle and took a deep drink, plastic crackling from the sudden loss of its contents. She glanced aside to him, her breath hitching painfully in her chest. "Th-they did? So...doing more than just talking would...be worse, I suppose?"

Glancing to her as she moved to sit down beside him, with a light smile to her for a moment, before taking another long sip of his water. Followed with a light sigh from him as well as a faint nod. "They did." Murmured softly. "But I think that grandfather at least has noticed that I am at least trying to make the best of our time here." Side glance to her. "Plus I think he sees that you are a good person despite you being part dragon."

She squeezed the bottle tightly, concentrating her attention on it alone as she tried to keep her tone tight and controlled. "Certainly after our last discussion with him, he knows what I am. I all but said it by claiming dragonkind as kin." She murmured softly, clutching the water bottle hard. The liquid within began to bubble under her touch, condensation forming on the inside of the plastic as it began to heat up. "Despite...despite...because being a dragon is an inherent character flaw, eh?" The water in the bottle reached boiling point and she dropped the hot bottle to the ground with a wince. Steaming water sloshed from the bottle's mouth and she rose up, brushing her blistering hands over her jeans. "I think it's time to go home."

Watching her as he frowned to seeing her getting angry, and felt that it was something that he said that set her off. With him nodding softly to her comment that his grandfather knew that she was related to dragons, with his frown deepening to her thinking that being a dragon was a flaw. With him moving to his feet to turn and face her, aiming to take her hands into his own. His goal to get her to look up at him. "I don't think that way about you, Jade." Murmured softly to her. "I know that you are a dragon, but I do not see it as a flaw against you." Speaking softly and honestly to her.

It wasn't that she thought being a dragon was a character flaw, only that his family seemed to thing that way and the thought perplexed her while simultaneously pissing her off. She pulled her hands away from his grasp and rubbed at her eyes before stuffing her hands into her pockets, turning to walking toward the break in the treeline that lead back toward the city. "I know you don't. They are a different story."

It also got him to frown that it could be possibly held against her, as he moved to cut her off again as she started to move after pulling her hands back from him. Trying to get her to stop. "I know that, Jade." Hands now catching her by the shoulders, this time much firmer than how he held her hands. "They have one choice when it comes to you." This was sure to get her attention. "Accept you for who you are, the person that I have grown to care for deeply."

She let out a low growl as he intercepted her yet again, her temper flaring as she glared up at him. Listening to him, she shook her head, snorting incredulously. "Maximus, you clearly haven't the slightest idea how the world works. It's not that black and white." She paused, taking a slow breath before continuing. "And as much as we care about each other, I'm not going to let our relationship drive a wedge between you and your family." Her words getting softer and softer though her tone was firm and insistent, pulling away from his grasp and once more moving for the woods to head home.

He growled back at her for a moment, before listening to her words with a slight nod after a moment. With him lowering his hands to his sides again. Pondering her words for a long silent moment, before turning to follow her towards home again. With him slowly catching up to walk beside her, not saying anything for another long moment. "Nor do I wish for one to be driven between you and your family." Murmured softly. "But if this is what we both want. We are going to have to stick together."

Grumbling under her breath as she stalked away from him, Jade shook her head to his words, sighing quietly. She glanced aside as he caught up, quiet for twice as long as he had been before shrugging as she tromped through the forest. "We'll see."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[May Fifth]

Jade had left Maximus behind abruptly the night before, the anger boiling within her being something she didn't want to subject him to. After a hasty farewell, she’d skipped realms completely and so quickly that it made her head spin upon arrival. She doubled over and crashed to her knees, the sudden stop upending the contents of her stomach. Her hand pressed to the soil, fingers curling into Nosgothian dirt as she wretched but as she slowly regained her composure, she wiped the back of her hand across her mouth and stood back up. The groan that left her lips lived and died rather quickly before she was striding across the grounds for the forge. The teenager prayed to every god in existence that she wouldn't run into one of her numerous family members. But if she did, it was a small price to pay for access to such an expanse of materials.

The hour was late and the fires were still blazing as she slipped in through the forge’s back entrance, the steady clink of hammer to anvil alerting her to the presence of at least one other occupant. The demure young woman made sure her footfalls were silent until she could ascertain just who it was and when she peeked around the corner, she let out a quiet sigh of relief. Jade cleared her throat to alert the young man to her presence as she rounded the corner at last so as not to surprise him too badly at this time of night.

“Good eventide, Kane. Please don’t mind me.” She said with a respectful bow of her head, moving over to sort out the materials she would need for her project. The man at the forge brought his work to a halt, glancing up at her as he wiped his forehead with the back of his arm, spreading streaks of perspiration across his flesh as a steady trickle of sweat ran down the sides of his neck, occasionally dripping free to splash against the anvil with a hiss of steam.

“Evening, Miss Alcar. It’s no trouble, just let me know if you need any assistance.” He offered out before the clang of metal on metal once again met her ears. End of conversation. Jade smiled. That was the sort of thing that she enjoyed about such a solitary place. Perhaps one day she would graduate up to being of more use in the forge but for now, a project was a project and she had a fervent need to get it started. Materials were pulled, metal after metal, tool after tool. It was all neatly laid out on the workbench for appraisal. Fingertips ran gently over each one, checking for nicks and dings, critical of any perceived imperfection that would need to be addressed. Once she was satisfied that each item would do, she began the painstaking process of lugging each to the nearest anvil, keeping her distance from the other smith working as well. From time to time she felt eyes on her but didn't glance up, the entirety of her attention devoted to the task in front of her, feeling the heat rise. In no time, she too was sweating and working to blink away perspiration as it dripped down her forehead and into her eyes.

“You may want to adjust the angle of that piece. Is that an endoskeleton of some sort?” Kane called over from his own piece, not missing a beat as he continued to work with the practiced precision of a trained smith who had spent many hours slaving over the fires. Jade, however, couldn't afford to divert even a minute fraction of her attention from what she was doing, lest the hammer strike incorrectly and ruin the endoskeleton being created. Kane had it right on the money and she nodded, pulling back from the heat just long enough to check her work thus far. She dipped a sheepish nod as Kane set his own work to the side and came over to look it over. Kane’s father had been the one who had passed down his lessons as a weapons and armor maker to his son as well as those in the Alliance who wished to learn the craft. Jade’s father had insisted that the children at least try their hand but Jade had never made it far enough to progress to weaponry. She would have to settle for armor. As Kane looked over her supplies, his brows rose even further.

“Adamantium isn't the easiest to work with you know. And you’re adding...what’s this...hmm. Mithril, vibranium, and uru? What sort of project are you getting into, little one?” Kane asked gently, careful to not put any sort of accusation into his tone. Jade’s cheeks reddened and her shoulders dropped moderately. Perhaps it was too ambitious of an endeavor. Finally she shrugged and lifted her chin proudly. Be confident, Jade, that was the only way she could pull this off.

“Armor fit for a Knight, sir. A special Knight in particular.” She said just loud enough to be heard. She wiped sweat from her brow and exhaled a heavy breath. The heat was overwhelming and she remembered just why she never lasted long there. But this needed to be done and she held her ground in the event she got any sort of argument from the smith. Instead, she simply got a grin and a shrug.

“Alright then. If I can make a recommendation, weave the vibranium and the mithril into scale plating, like a metal dragon, you know? Then add the uru after the fact. I figure you want to enchant it, yes? That’ll keep it free for any scrollwork or runes needed. Hmm. And the leather, use the twelve gauge to weave these adamantium links through. It’ll protect the leather, help it hold up longer.” He noted, looking over the entirety of her project with an intent eye. Jade listened to his suggestions wide eyed, noting each mentally and nodding along. Finally Kane added an after note, “Good luck with it and if you need any help, just let me know.” With a grin he was back to his own anvil to continue working.

Hours passed and the progress was slow going. Kane had long since left by the time she decided to hang it up for the night but she was surprised to find that it was coming along nicely for a single night of work. She imagined it would take several more but it was a start. She locked away the fledgling armor, securing it in an Alcar designated locker, and stepped out into the early morning light. Nosgoth’s sun was just rising and the grass caught dew then gifted it to her feet as she passed. It had been quite some time since she had gone ‘home’ to sleep but there was no way she had the energy to split realms again so soon so home it was and there she laid her weary head to rest at least for a few hours before returning to work once more.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[May Sixth]

Kane hadn’t been kidding when he said Jade had selected some of the harder materials to work with but after a few scant hours of sleep she was back at the forge, hammering away, bending and shaping and pressing. The light (and typically loose) cotton t-shirt clung to her frame and the denim jeans she had worn felt like they weighed six tons in the heat, suffocating her lower body and necessitating frequent trips out into the fresh air. The best smiths in Nosgoth came and went, each affording the little Lady Alcar smiles, nods, or advice as needed. Kane’s father even made an appearance at one point, stopping in to check on Kane only to find Jade struggling with the breastplate of the suit. A chuckle left Lang’s lips as he tromped over for the assist.

“Adjust your elbow in to here,” he adjusted her arm accordingly, “and you’ll have an easier time with it. Expend less energy and it might help you work out that kink there.” Lang pointed out the spot she had been working on. As she made the needed adjustment and brought the tool down against the hot metal, she found with a few follow ups that he was, in fact, correct and it soon sat where it was needed. Jade exhaled a breath of relief and gave the older man an unsteady smile, anxious as he looked over her project with a small smile.

The day had passed quickly and much like the one before, this one was coming to a close as Jade had worked her way through yet another beautiful afternoon in Nosgoth. But somehow the intense work had paid off and as the sun set, she set the hammer down for the last time. Despite the high pony tail, her hair had matted to her neck, thick with perspiration and she was certain that no amount of laundering would get the saltiness out of her clothing. She was tired. Dehydrated, hungry, and her eyes burned. But she was done and she was proud. Well, nearly done. The armor itself glistened with the reflection of the forge’s fires and she ran her hand over the uru accents that bore none of her enchantments yet. That would take a whole day in and of itself. With a tired yawn, she slipped the armor into the nether realm for safe keeping until she could finish that and gift it to its intended recipient. Trudging out of the back door of the forge, she found herself nearly bowled over.

“Oof.” Make that completely bowled over. Jade ended up on the ground in a tangle of limbs and laughter.

“Jadey?!” Sophie giggled, extracting herself from the mess of a collision and offered a hand down to her friend to haul her back up to her feet. Jade gladly took the help and dusted herself off, crinkling her nose at the dirt that was now caked over the sweat. All the same though, she turned a cheery smile upon her friend.

“Hi Soph. What’re you doing out so late?” More dusting off ensued.

“I heard you were home so I thought I’d come see you. Whatcha workin’ on in there?” The angel asked her, tilting her head to one side and prompting a cascade of goldspun curls to tumble over one shoulder.

“Oh just...forge stuff.” Jade shrugged a bit, glancing over her shoulder to make sure the door had been secured behind her. Sophie’s wide eyes, crystalline blue and near sparkling even in the dark crinkled at the edges with mirth as she looped an arm through Jade’s.

“Uh huh. Just forge stuff. Rumor has it that you’re making a set of armor. Now...don’t get me wrong, that’s great and all, but you and your brothers have some of the best armor I’ve seen. What gives you the need for a new one?” Sophie poked and prodded with her questioning, bouncing on her toes as she began to lead Jade away from the building and off toward her parents’ home.

“Making it for a friend.” Jade mumbled softly, hoping to avoid this conversation completely. Sophie, however, was having none of that diversionary stuff.

“A friend that happens to be a boy? Like a boyfriend? Like a...OO! Are you making armor for your knight?” Sophie bounced brightly with each step, overflowing with energy and easily making Jade green with envy at her youthful exuberance. Jade nearly tripped over her own feet with Sophie’s steady unraveling of Jade’s vague answer. The raven haired girl nodded at her friend, cheeks reddening behind the veil of jet black that hung around her face. Sophie squealed and dragged them to a stop, jumping up and down as she jostled Jade’s shoulders.

“Jadey’s got a boy toy! And a serious one at that. Ohhhhh I need to meet him. Who is he? What family does he belong to? Do your parents know? What’s Gabe think of him?” The questions came with a rapid fire speed, quickly enough to nearly make Jade’s head spin. She grabbed for Sophie’s shoulders in return to try and get her to settle down.

“Soph. Shh, you’ll wake people.” Jade hissed at her friend before huffing softly and shrugging. “He’s not from an Alliance family. I met him back ho...in Rhy’din. And no, my parents don’t know him nor do I want them to know about him just yet so please keep it that way.”

“Sure thing Jadey. Let’s go back to your place and you can tell me more about him. Let me do your nails. I got this purple that would be perfect on you.” Sophie resumed the previous pace, dragging Jade toward home once more. Jade simply sighed and let her do as she pleased.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[May 26th]

The pair of them sat on the roof of their new treehouse, sprawled out in their swimsuits on spread out towels to soak up the scant rays of sun that poured through the canopy above. Lazily she laid over top of him, her hands clasped over his chest and her chin resting on the back of her folded hands. He resettled his arm around her when she settled in against him, before shifting to take the water for a sip. Carefully doing so then set it to the side. "Have I earned my new armor yet?" Looking innocently up at her.

Watching him as he took a drink, she quirked a brow down at him as he said that. "Hmph. You'll know when you do. You still have training to do, mister."

He pouted lightly up at her. "But we have been training just about every day." He even had that lower lip tremble going here. Must of picked it up from her.

And she was nearly immune to the lip quivering going on because she was so used to her brother pouting at their mother to get his way. Peering down at him, she pressed her hands to his chest and used the point to sit up fully and look down at him. She adjusted the ties on her bikini top and huffed softly at him. "Yes but that doesn't automatically mean you're ready. And we have not trained every day, some of those days you've been training me."

He was still going to try using it against her, before huffing when it didn't work. Only to look her over when she shifted to sit up and straddle his lap, with his hands moving to rest against her hips. "That counts as training for me." Flashing her a smile to her mentioning those days where he was training her in hand to hand combat.

She bit her lip and tried not to blush, failing miserably. "N-not for you getting your armor...I wouldn't give it to just anyone I learned from..."

"Perhaps so." Murmured softly. "Just curious to see the armor that you said you made for me, as I know you put a lot of effort into it."

"I...I can't show it to you until you're ready or else it takes away from the surprise and the honor..." She murmured softly, glancing aside as she blushed before leaning over to grab for the bottle of water and taking a swig to clear her throat. "Ahem. Anyways."

He nodded softly on that. "If that is your wish, then I shall work harder to attain the honor of being able to wear it." Murmured back to her, his eyes remaining upon her.

"That's not what I meant! You have plenty of...I just...yeah...it's a big deal if I do this..." She murmured quietly and dropped her gaze from his again, cheeks a deep shade of red closer to a sunburn than a blush and she frowned faintly.

His brows rose to her words as he caught the weight behind them. "Big deal if you do this?" Murmured softly up to her as he paused in his teasing, as he honestly wanted to know what she had meant by that.

"I um...had meant to talk to you about it more in depth closer to it being time..." She whispered softly. She chewed on her bottom lip and grabbed the water again for another drink, holding the bottle tightly. "But uh...I'd be making you a knight of the unseen realm...much like my mother was before she became what she is now..."

Tilting his head at her as she spoke, as he continued to keep his hands resting against her hips. With soft circular motions of his thumbs against her flesh, as if to coax her into speaking with that hidden confidence that she had. His brows then rose a touch to her wanting to make him a knight. "Would that make you happy?"

No matter his gentle caresses, it was hard to be anywhere close to confident on this matter. She took a shuddered breath and another drink from the bottle, finding it hard to keep her mouth from getting drier by the moment. "I um...well...it uh...um...would it make you happy? It would give you the means to...go home...if you want to...and um...I wouldn't have to worry as much about you getting hurt...and yeah...its dumb...I'm sorry..." She sighed softly and moved to get off of him.

Gripping her hips to make her stay where she was at as he noted that she seemed to be dancing around the subject of it making her happy. "Answer me, Jade. Would me being your knight make you happy?" Murmured softly to her again.

She huffed softly as he caught her hips and she contemplated dumping the icy cold water on his bare chest but kept herself from doing so. Biting at her bottom lip, she glanced away and back toward him. "It's not about what would make me happy. It's about what'll make you stronger and keep you safe..."

He huffed back up at her with a peer at that look in her eyes of wanting to dump that water on his chest. With him tilting his head up at her. "Would it make you happy to have me by your side, serving as your knight?" Not about to let up until she honestly answered him on that.

"I...I don't know, Max. That doesn't matter." She huffed softly and raised the bottle up out of his reach, turning it ever so slightly like she might dump it on him. "Having you would make me happy, don't feel like you have to do this just for me..."

"It would." Murmured up to her then stuck his tongue out at her, followed with a low growl to her making it look like she was going to dump the water out on him. Only to look in to her eyes. "And it matters to me." Murmured softly. "If you wish for me to be your knight, then from this day forwards. I am your knight."

"It's not just a title, Max. It's a commitment. I can't just call someone my knight. I have to *make* them such." She said softly. Like she had said earlier, it was a big deal. She swallowed hard and shook her head. "I don't want you to do it just because you think it's what I want. We can talk more on it later...once we're sure..." She said quietly. To further end the conversation, she dumped the cold water on him.

"I know that, Jade." Murmured up to her. "And I have been thinking about staying here with you, even if we find a way back home." Growling as he shifted to roll over when she poured that water out on him, aiming to roll over to be over her on her towel now.

"It's a big deal...I want you to think on it more than that. We've only...been together for three ish months and friends for not a ton more than that. It's a big commitment and if you don't want to do it and just want to be my boyfriend, well that's okay too..." She said quickly as he rolled both of them onto her towel, shivering as cold droplets of water fell from his chest onto hers.

"I know it is a big deal, and we have made a major deal by getting this treehouse and living together." Murmured softly down to her as he shifted to interlock his fingers with her own now. "And I have been thinking on this. You and me. Ever since we first started to date."

She paused and stared at him for a long moment as he interlaced their fingers. Swallowing, she shook her head. "It's...this...living together is...child's play comparatively, Max." She whispered softly, biting at her lip and going quiet for a few moments, tilting her head. "What do you know about souls, Max?"

"Perhaps so, but I chose to live with you." Murmured softly in return before tilting his head slightly to her question. "Not that much to be honest. I know that we always pray for those that have passed to find peace in the afterlife." His tone hinting that he wanted her to explain things from her realm.

"I know you chose to live with me, I'm not disputing that. I'm saying living together, compared to what being my knight entails, is childs play." She huffed softly, feeling like her words were going in one ear and out the other. She tilted her head to mirror him before biting her lip. Not wanting to explain the entirety of her realm today, she wanted to just keep the subject at hand close. "I see. What do you know about soul bonds?"

He nodded softly to her words with a slight frown to her huffing at him. Tilting his head in the other direction for a moment. "Soul bonds?" Evident that was something he never heard of.

Giving a little nod, she continued. "Being knight would entail binding your soul to mine. It would protect you as well as me and would also link us forever. Think...marriage without divorce but of our souls..."

Just staring at her for a moment as she explained the details of him becoming her knight. As well as what it would mean. "I see." Murmured softly to her as he still didn't move away from her.

"It's a lengthy process and not one to be taken lightly..."

"And you wish to do this with me?"

"Y-yes...I think so...Sophie and I were talking, she's my best friend, and she thinks it sounds like a decent enough idea...but um...not if you don't want to. Or it's too soon....or I don't know..."

"I...would like that." Murmured finally. "Whenever you think we are ready."

She bit hard on her bottom lip when he looked away, thinking she had said too much and frowning faintly. Before he murmured those quiet words which got her to blink and stare at him. "R-really?" She asked softly.

Tilting his head slightly again as he nodded slowly and softly. "Really."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[June 3rd]

The hatch to the treehouse's roof was open and again Jade found herself sitting quietly up there. Her knees were pulled up to her chest and her arms were wrapped around them to keep them tightly to her. It was hot, early June wearing through the canopy over the community of treehouses and filtering sticky heat to the highest point of the tallest treehouse. Despite all of that, she was clad from throat to toe in black, onyx steel mail adorning her frame all the way down to the plated boots she wore. Her sword, a beast of a blade as big as she was, lay on the roof as well, waiting for her to take it up once she was ready. She kept an eye on the path leading to the treehouse, simply waiting for him to arrive.

Slowly making his way towards the treehouse where he now lived with Jade, as despite the warmer weather, he was wearing that cloak again, and under it was the armor he had always had most of his life. That being the leather armor that he had made for himself so long ago, with his twin swords bouncing off his hips as he walked. Only to come to a pause for a moment, to wipe his brow with a mutter about the weather, before continuing on towards the steps that lead up to the treehouse. With no clue that Jade was perched up on the roof waiting on him to come home.

When she spotted him, she pulled her fingers up to her lips and whistled. Shrill and high pitched in hopes of getting his attention before he made it inside. She leaned to bat the hatch shut, uprighted herself and with a quick snag she hitched the greatsword to her back then dove from the top of the treehouse. Hitting with ground soon, she rolled then popped up to her feet, whirling on her toes to face him. A thin grin was given. "Are you up for a trip?"

Coming to a stop at that loud shrill whistle, with him looking around for a moment. Only to look upwards to just seeing her moments before dove down from the top of the treehouse, causing him to blink for a moment and take a few steps back. Head tilted as she rolled and popped up to her feet, now staring at her for a moment in that armor of her's. "Where are we going?" Keeping his head tilted at her.

Jade moved surprisingly well despite the stiff looking mail armor. She rolled a shoulder and closed the distance between herself and him, offering one fingerless gloved hand out to him, palm up. "Do you trust me?"

He took notice to how easily she moved in the armor, with a faint nod to how well crafted it was. With his head still slightly tilted as she moved towards him, before slipping his hand into her offered one. "Always." Murmured in return to her.

"Good. Deep breath." She advised. Waiting for him to do so, as soon as he did, she made the jump. There was a ripping of the fabric of space and time, the whoosh of energy around them and the whirlwind of Chaos that perpetually graced the realm she was taking him to. The sands of Valhalla, granulated chaotic energy, met their arrival with a gentle shift to welcome them. Jade exhaled the breath she had been holding and then looked up at him, steadying him with a hand to the shoulder in the event the realm shift had caught him off guard. "We're here..."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[June 3, 1108 AF]

Nodding lightly as he took a deep breath, as well as shifting his hand to interlock with her own. When she made the jump to Valhalla, it did effect him as it felt like he had been punched in the gut. Letting out that breath of air when it was over, and welcomed that steadying hand to his shoulder as he blinked his eyes and looked around. Waiting a for a few moments for the dizzy spell to wear off, before looking to her. "This is what you told me about?" Brows rising a touch.

"Don't freak out." She murmured softly, her cheeks red and her chest heaving from the effort of taking not only herself but him as well on a trip through realms. A momentary sway had her coughing softly and then she straightened herself, making sure that he wasn't going to vomit or pass out on her. "It is...this is the Unseen Realm..." She whispered softly, her chin tilting upward toward the rebuilt spires of a refabricated Valhalla. Crimson lightning danced in the sky, bouncing from the pointed tips of architecturally absurd masses, geometric shapes that defied the laws of physics as they reached toward the twilight lit sky like the metallic claws of a waking giant. Her hand reached for his in hopes of pulling him further up the beach and toward a tiny inlet that would permit them into the 'city' proper.

He was looking around for a moment as he took in the place around them, before huffing a bit at her. "I won't." Shifting now to steady her as she swayed, as he chose to stay close to her as she knew far more about this place than she did. "I see." Murmured when she in fact mentioned that this was the very Unseen Realm she had spoken to him of before. Still looking around as he was starting to place the odd structures to memory, as he moved to walk with her as he was still holding her hand.

"Do *not*, I repeat, do NOT get out of my sight. I mean it." She said in a deadly serious tone, her eyes locking on his as she lead him up. Valhalla was equal parts beautiful, strange, and dangerous. It seemed calm for all intents and purposes, but she kept her free hand up by the hilt of the sword on her back. Her breathing came in short bursts as she lead the way, her gaze constantly on the move, sweeping side to side, up and down. The monolith that dominated Valhalla's skyline seemed to be their destination and she urgently drew him toward the temple like building, near Greek in styling.

"Understood. Stick close to you." Murmured as he put that to memory as well as he understood what she was getting at. Knowing that she knew this place better than he did, so he easily gave way to her wisdom of the area. With him taking note that it appeared calm at the moment, as he followed her own lead. As his free hand shifted to rest on the hilt of his sword. Carefully looking around, before noticing where she was leading him, and took note of the Greek like styling of the building.

She gave a single nod once he said he understood and swift steps took her down tight walkways, over arches, and through brief tunnels, winding and Escher in nature. But finally they came to their destination and she slipped into the great temple with a sigh of relief. The marble doors were pushed shut behind him and she leaned against them. "So it probably seems pretty random that I brought you here out of the blue, yeah?"

Faint nod in return to her as he continued to stick close to her side as much as he could, with him placing the way they took to memory as well. With him tilting his head slightly once they arrived at the great temple, and followed her inside with him looking around for a moment. Only to turn and face her when she shut the doors behind them and spoke. "A bit random, but I know you have a reason for doing so." Light smile offered to her.

Once she was certain the door was secure in her wake, she lead the way into a deeper chamber in the temple. Down ancient steps they went before emerging before an empty stone throne perched high above the ledge they came out on. Jade tipped a reverent look up toward it, bowing her head momentarily and murmuring a quickly whispered prayer before pulling her attention back to Max. "We've spoke at length and you've been training for over two months now. I think it's time to reward your hard work."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[??? AF]

Tilting his head at her as he waited to see why she had brought him here, before moving to follow her deeper into the temple. Looking around again as he noted she was leading him deeper inside to a chamber, before pausing beside her as she bowed her head towards an empty throne. As well as to the reverent look upon her features, and not one to want to offend her in the least. He bowed his eyes and shut his eyes during her silent prayer, before looking back to Jade with his brows rising a touch. "That we have." Murmured as he shifted to lower down to a knee before her, with him bowing his head. Not sure how to go about things so he fell back on what he knew.

She quirked a brow and a small smile played on her lips as he took a knee before her. "Rise up, silly. It'll be hard to put your new armor on when you're kneeling." She spoke softly, her words holding no echo even in the expansive chamber they stood in. "Once bonded to you, the armor can be summoned at will with this little crystal." A deep purple crystalline shard dangled from a titanium chain and she offered it out to him. "Are you ready?"

"Oh." Murmured as a faint hint of a blush crossed his cheeks for a moment, as he rose to stand again. Noting that no echo happened when they spoke, before shifting out of his cloak. Followed with him removing the leather armor that he wore, setting both to the side for now. Then looked to her and the little crystal she held, with a light nod in understanding. "I am ready." Murmured as he slowly took the titanium chain, before slipping it around his neck.

She pursed her lips as he removed his leather armor and cloak, slipping the crystal around his neck. Her steady gaze stayed upon him the entire time and she took a slow breath to ready herself. "To summon it say 'Deo duce, ferro comitante'. You can say it in your head if you want, but the latin corresponds to the Etro script runes I've embedded in the plating. It'll be heavier than your previous armor but you'll get used to it. Once you have it on, we can finish the...ritual." She spoke quietly, nervously. In particular since she hadn't done this alone before.

Tilting his head at her as he removed his armor and cloak, before taking a deep breath of his own and slowly let it out. With him closing his eyes with a nod to her words, with one hand coming up to wrap around the crystal. It took him a moment or two to open his eyes again, looking and focusing upon her own now. "Deo duce, ferro comitante." Finally saying those words, as he watched her reaction to see if he had said them right and to see if it had worked.

She watched very carefully to see if the incantation would work and by the grace of the gods, it did! Her eyes widened as the stark black armor materialized on his form. Her gaze was so alight with wonderment, she didn't even look away when the spell left him temporarily in only his underclothes before latching each piece in against his form. She had measured right and the spell had made up for any difference in size between the armor and his body and she exhaled another relieved sigh, pleased that her hard work had paid off. Within moments he stood before her in the enchanted armor forged by her own hand and imbued with all of the protections in the book. "Very good..."

Tilting his head slightly as he watched her, not even noticing that for a moment he stood there in just his undergarments. Before looking down at himself as he started to feel the armor appearing and latching into a perfect fit against his frame. Getting his brows to rise as she had measured everything right, as well as the magic if the spell fixing anything that might of been off. Once it was fully in place. He looked back to her, and actually slowly turned around in a slow circle for her. "Well?"

She chewed on her bottom lip as she looked it over, her own handiwork making her well up with pride. A beaming smile was given and she nodded, bouncing on her toes. "It suits you...what do you think of it? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Oh I hope you don't hate it..." The flurry of questions came quickly and she gave him a hopeful look, the entirety of her focus upon him.

Smiling lightly to seeing her chewing on her bottom lip, before backing up a bit from her. Smiling a bit more to seeing her swelling up with pride in her handiwork, as he moved around a bit. Mostly to test the flexibility of it, before nodding lightly. It seemed like a second skin, that moved freely and didn't restrain him at all. "I like it, and will treasure it." Murmured as he looked back to her again, before moving to replace his swords to his hips and the cloak back around his frame. Yet left the cloak flowing down his back to show off the new armor.

"And finally, your initiation rites." She said softly, her gaze still running over the new armor. Jade continued to chew on her bottom lip before finally giving him a nod once his swords met his hips and he refastened the cloak. She brushed her hands back through her hair and took a slow breath. A slow path was walked around him and as she reached each of the cardinal directions a blossom of light was born, each a different color. At the north, white light shines pure and bright. From the east came fire, cleansing and warm. South was water, azure and calm. And finally west was earth, a shade of emerald that exuded a centering force. She came to a stop in front of him, silent for a long moment before speaking the spell that would finish the bonding, knight to ward, champion to demi-goddess.

"Audi militibus praeter milites pristinae legis. Audi me milites perierunt in prælio, qui bona fecerunt, in herba. Audi me milites veteres. Audi me milites amisit animam. Hac nocte tibi hodie. Brachiaque ad auxilium vos obsecro. Audi equitum nova causa sit. Per spiritus invoco te herba. Te invoco in virtute tua. Te invoco in spiritu tuo. Age, nova causa sequi, vos obsecro. Unusquisque se a te scribere. Invoco te Dominus milites amiserunt. Crede mihi, in adiutorium meum intende. Pugnare mecum, et exaudi me. Custodi me a spiritibus iniuriae. Certa tibi proelia dicam. Audi amisit spiritus milites in adiutorium meum intende, latus meum. Custodi me a spiritibus, in malum vestrum. Custodi me a spiritibus lucem. Invoco te. Invoco te. Invoco te. Invoco te. Invoco te. Et populus meus rei. Fiat. Fiat." Entirely from memory, when she finished she exhaled an unsteady breath and brought her gaze up to his as the elemental foci converged above him and beamed golden light down upon him. "Maximus Decimus Shimmer-Scale do you swear to serve and protect at all costs the guardians of the Unseen Realm?"

Nodding lightly to her mentioning the initiation rites, with him taking another deep breath and letting it out. Shifting to stand still as she started to walk around him in that slow pace, as he tried to keep his gaze forward as much as he could. Yet found himself watching each gesture and step she took, until she stopped in front of him again. Going still again as she started to speak in what he guessed to be Latin again, and tried to understand what she was saying, before looking to her. "I swear on my honor, that I will serve and protect the guardians of the Unseen Realm."

"Et populus meus rei." She spoke again before a relieved smile broke out on her face. The change would be subtle to start and it may take a few days for him to notice it in its entirety but the bond was completed and she offered her hands out to him. "It's done. Welcome to the Unseen Realm, my Knight." It was hard to contain her excitement but eventually the gold light that bathed him faded and snuffed itself as the spell completed.

Tilting his head to her words for a moment, as he was sure she would tell him later everything that she had said, before smiling back to her. Not yet noticing the subtle change, as he took her offered hands within his own. "Thank you for having me, my Goddess." Murmured back to her as he didn't even notice the gold light from before had now faded, as he continued to smile back at Jade.

"Take care as we leave, the energy needed for such a rite would be more than enough to attract the wrong sort of attention." She cautioned softly but nodded toward the way they had come, back toward the entrance to the great temple of the goddess of death, life, and rebirth. "Sorry about all of the...mumbo jumbo, it's all a technicality." She apologized quietly before slowly traipsing back up the steps toward the entry chamber. Reaching the top, she came to a halt, frozen in her tracks and her eyes wide. "Max...don't make any sudden movements but...that attention I mentioned, well...we got it..."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[??? AF]

The marble doors to the temple were wide open, swinging haphazardly as they permitted the entrance of scores of creatures, humanoid in appearance, each wielding fierce looking weaponry. And every weapon as well as all of their attention was focused upon the teenagers as they came up the steps.

"And that would be bad." Murmured as he put that to memory, before moving to walk with her as he moved back through the temple of the goddess of death, life and rebirth. "It is alright. So..." Just about to ask her something when she came to a stop, and told him not to move. With a faint nod to her words as he looked towards the marble doors. Only for his eyes to widen slightly to the scores of humanoid looking creatures made their way inside, and focused upon them.

Jade put a hand out in front of Max protectively though she knew she didn't need to at this point. Black smoke roiled around her fingertips, rising in wisps that left purple streaks in their wake. She narrowed her eyes at the invaders and she shook her head before speaking up. "You've no right to enter the sacred temple. Leave at once because the Goddess smites each and every one of you and lets your souls wither away in the Sea of Chaos." This time her voice echoed. Loudly. Booming off of the stone walls and echoing all around them, sure to reach the ears of even the furthest soldiers that filled the hall. A deep laugh came from the center of the platoon and slowly the men at the front parted to permit a broad shouldered commander to make his way to the front.

"You know as well as I do that the Goddess is not here. Only her halfling spawn the Shepherd and the sheep herder's newly ordained bodyguard." Came his words, sending a chill through Jade's body as she crunched numbers. Finding that not only was the man right but they were outnumbered handily. Seventy, eighty, maybe ninety men had packed themselves into the hall like sardines, shoulder to shoulder and all armed to the teeth. She glanced aside to Max. This was not a battle she wanted him in.

"I will say it again. You have fifteen seconds to vacate the temple or I will do the Goddess's bidding myself." Her voice boomed again even if it held a faint waver. She stood as tall as she could but at the end of the day, she wasn't particularly imposing at all of five feet and three inches. But maybe, just maybe if she played tough they would leave.

It didn't work.

"Smite me oh holy smiter. Bring thy wrath down upon me and mine." He cracked a smile, something twisted and terrifying. "And then I'll kill your boy toy while I make you watch." With a lazy gesture of his hand, the procession of men charged and Jade barely had enough time to fire the first blast of Chaotic energy at them to swallow up the front line before pulling her sword to try and fend off the second. As much as she hated to drag Max into this so soon, she needed him.

Max didn't even bother a glance down as Jade lifted a hand out as if to shield him from the men that had invaded the temple. Yet he did catch the faint wisps of black smoke that started to leave purple streaks in their wake, as he kept his eyes on the men that were filing in. Much like her. He was taking notes of just how many there were and that they were heavily armed. He also took note that her voice now boomed off the walls around them, with a faint growl to the disrespectful tone from the one that appeared to be the leader.

When Jade's words failed her. Max narrowed his eyes at the appointed leader. "You are welcomed to try." Hissed in return as he drew his own swords, the mere moment that Jade fired off that first blast of Chaotic energy. With him moving up quickly to try and place himself back to back to Jade. Covering her back and allowing her to cover his, with him putting his former training as well as the training he had been doing with Jade to work to help her to fend this massive invasion force off.

In such tight quarters they were overwhelmed quickly but with her back to his, she slashed and sliced, the giant sword cutting easily through the air. Without realizing it, she moved when he did, taking care to always stay behind him. Using the motion of the fight, she tried to draw their momentum toward the doors which inevitably meant toward the rest of the men but it was better than leading them into the Goddess's sanctuary, a holy sight thousands of years old, reigned over by three separate embodiments of the Goddess throughout the ages. Fallen men were piling up at their feet and the swirl of chaotic and soul energy was nearly crushing in a realm like this, thus her need to get out into the open. A trio of men rushed her from three separate angles and she did her best to stop them in their tracks. Two went down but the third caught her in the side of the leg with his blade and while it didn't cut through the mail armor, the blow was enough to buckle her leg and make her drop to a knee.

"Max!" She cried out, knowing that his focus was ahead of him instead of behind but she couldn't recover quickly enough to cover him again and the same man that caught her drove his blade toward Max's back. Steel met with the alloy metal of the armor and in a brilliant explosion of light, violet runes glowed from the armor itself and blasted the men at Max's back away. This unfortunately sent Jade with them and she went skidding into the fray, separated from him and unable to see him through the throngs of warriors surrounding her now.

Muttering under his breath to fight in such tight quarters, as at the moment the only thing on their sides was them fighting back to back. Not even noticing that like Jade, Max was moving step for step with her. Using his own swords in a near blur of constant motion of defending then counter attacking. As he was determined to help her fight these men off, even as the bodies started to drop and pile up around them. Not noticing that Jade was being attacked on all three sides, till she yelled out.

By then it was to late for him to do anything, as he looked over his shoulder just in time to see the male that attacked her landing a strike to his back. With his eyes wincing shut at the sudden bright explosion of light, as it lasted a moment before noting that it caught Jade also. Causing him to mutter a curse, as he tried to look around to see where she was at. Foolish move on his end.

"Max!!" She screamed out again, her shrill voice calling over the wall of bodies that separated her from him. Still she fought though, she blade lashing out and sharp powerful spells coursing from her fingertips every time she could. The continuous assault though wasn't meant to have them cut down and every blow that landed was meant to be non lethal. It was then that she realized that they were merely being worn down. Her gaze narrowed and she shoved her blade completely through a pair of men that had been standing too near one another and sticky black blood dripped down her blade. The assault continued, for how long she didn't know, not with every moment feeling like it lasted an hour. In all the battle took a scant twenty minutes and when the hard crack caught her at the base of her skull, twenty five men were still standing.

She saw stars and as the world faded around her she dropped to her knees, her blade clattering to the floor with the heavy sound of defeat. Overwhelmed, the runed manacles were latched around her wrists behind her back and as she drifted in and out of consciousness she tried to see past the shuffle of feet around her to get a glimpse of Max. "Max..." She murmured, far quieter this time. And then Jade's world went dark.

"Jade!" Called out for her in return to her trying to find out where he was at, as he was doing the same in turn. With him continuing to fight on as well, as slowly that red haze started to fill his eyes. Giving way to the need not only to survive, but also to fight his way towards Jade. With him continuing to cut his way through the men, as well as starting to lash out with the magical talents that she had recently been teaching him. Slowly the prolonged battle was starting to take it's effects on him. Just catching Jade going down out of the corner of his eyes.

"Jade!" Now making a mad dash for her when the leader of the men finally stepped in, while Max tried to cut his way through the men around Jade. Nailing the young warrior in the back of the head, causing him to collapse to his knees. Swords clattering to the ground, before a harsh kick to the back sent his sprawling. Allowing the remaining men to bind him up as well.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[June 3, 1108 AF]

The runed manacles didn't hurt to be put on but they thoroughly dampered any magical energies, in particular her ability to get them out of there. A low groan came from her lips as a pair of men hauled her up by her elbows, her head hanging heavily and her feet dragging. Her foggy mind wasn't ready to get her moving yet but that didn't stop the men who dragged her along behind their leader.

"Maximus..." She murmured quietly, her lips moving sluggishly as her dragging feet bounced painfully down each of the steps that lead up to the temple's entrance. She didn't know where they were going but it would soon be evident as she was dragged through a portal just outside of the temple's gate.

Groaning as he tried the best he could to fight off the ones trying to place the runed manacles on him. In the end it was for nothing, as they were slapped on and felt the magical energies draining. With him being dragged along behind the others. His head throbbing to the blow he took, as he tried to see what was going on. "Jade." Murmured softly, before wincing his eyes shut.

Max could be felt somewhere behind her and it was a comforting thought even as she was dumped unceremoniously upon the chilled stone of a cell. The heavy door locked behind her and she slumped to her knees, her forehead against the cool metal of the door. Focus, Jade, focus. She tried to will her groggy mind into concentrating and finally she tested the link between herself and Max with a mental message meant only for him. "Max...can you hear me?"

As he had no clue where they were being taken, as they were dragged through that portal. Just now starting to feel the faint effects of the bond between Jade and himself. Good he thought to himself. As he could now just feel her even as they seemed to be carrying him off in another direction. When she tried that connection, it got his eyes to snap open and look around. With him trying it out in return with a message only for her. "Jade? I can."

"Maximus, whatever happens here, you have to get home and tell my brother. He'll know what to do. I think I can get you freed but they won't let me go. I'm so sorry, Max...I'm...sorry..." Even mentally her voice seemed to break and in her cell she sobbed quietly, her shoulders shaking with each shuddered breath she took before losing every ounce of air to the soft cries. She sniffled hard and tried to refocus, lifting her head from the cold metal of the door. "The crystal will take you home if we can get out of here...I...I think the cells are warded against it but I'm...I'm going to get you out..."

"Jade. I'm not going to leave without you, just get me free and I'll find my way to you. You have nothing to be sorry for. You didn't know this was going to happen. Get me free and wait for me." Trying to keep her from breaking down on him as feeling her doing so, and knowing that she was more than likely starting to sob that this happened. Started to fuel his anger even more, as he looked around to see where he was being taken. As well to see if the men were overconfident in themselves and brought their weapons with them.

They had imprisoned her as the dangerous one, very aware of what she was capable of and he had been written off as a fledgling Knight, which really, he was. What they might have underestimated was his connection to her and her soft cries even filtered through their mental connection. Outside of her cell, her assigned guard hit the door with something hard, startling her until she skittered back onto her rear end.

"Quiet down in there." The guard hissed and her cries quieted to soft sobs before she spoke up.

"Please...please, tell your boss I'll do whatever he wants. Just please let my knight go. He isn't familiar with the realm and...and he has a family he needs to go home to...keep me...just...please, let him go..." She pleaded softly, prompting a soft conversation between the men outside of her prison cell. Scooting on her knees, she pressed her ear to the door jam to try and listen. She couldn't hear anything intelligible though and she sighed softly, sitting back on her heels.

"Max...I'm trying to get them to let you go but there's too many of them for you to take on your own. Just...go and bring Gabriel back, he'll know where to find me..." she pleaded with him mentally, hoping he would heed her words.

Evidently her pleas had struck a chord with her captors and with a crackle of arcane energy the men hauling Max to a separate wing of their dungeon came to a stop, conversing quietly with one another before exchanging unsure looks and reversing course to take him back toward the entrance to the stronghold. "Get outta here boy. If you even think about coming back, we'll kill the girl."

Slowly that daze of getting clocked in the back of the head was wearing off as he could literally feel the emotions coming from Jade due to their connection. Which continued to fuel his anger, at himself for failing her in his first duty to keep her safe. As well as at the men that dared to take them prisoner, when she started to speak to him again. Causing a faint growl to come from him, sure to get her to sense that all this was setting him off.

"I told you that I was not going to leave without you. That is final." Making it clear to her that he wouldn't be going anywhere till he saved her. With him peering at the men that held him as they hauled him back off towards the entrance of the stronghold. Noting said to them as he was let go as he moved to head off, aiming to slip from their line of sight, making it to the temple again and back. Armed with his own swords...and that beast of Jade's.

The further he got away from the cells the shakier their connection became and her mental plea came in broken up bits and pieces. "Ma... ... please don... ust get Ga... ove you." And then it fizzled out once he got too far away. As soon as they let him go they were in the process of moving her, dragging her out of her cell roughly and hauling her further into the fortress for interrogation. It was so stereotypical that she almost laughed as she was thrown into the dark room with the bright light shining in her eyes. Tiredly, she stared defiantly into the dark just past the light, certain her captor was there just out of view. Her arms were still bound behind her back so she did the first thing she thought of and spat at them. She was rewarded with a rough kick from behind and she met the floor rather suddenly. A soft whimper left her lips but she didn't speak.

"The shards of Chaos. We know they've been split up. We know you know where they are. And we know you know what we're capable of when we want something. So you can either cooperate or we can make this particularly painful for you. Now, I did you a favor by letting your wimpy little knight go so do me a favor and make this easy on yourself." Came the voice from just beyond the shadows. Still she glared and didn't answer. She definitely knew what they were talking about. To a T. But she would rather die than tell them what they wanted to no and her silence indicated such and she was given another rough reprimand.

Feeling that connection growing weaker the further they grew apart, told him not to take his time. Now having no way of knowing once the connection was broken, to what she was going through. As he found his way back to the temple, and moved right to where their swords had been dropped. Picking up his own and sheathing them, before moving to pick her own up. With him blinking as the armor seemed to have enhanced his own strength as well.

With a faint nod as he shouldered the massive beast of the blade, before making haste back towards the stronghold. While this could be seen as rather foolish again on his part, yet without those runed restraints on him. It allowed him to focus and channel that beserkerish side of him, that Jade and him worked so hard to help him to master. He had only one goal now. Kill anyone and anything in his way to freeing her, and with single thought in mind. He aimed to attack that stronghold, yet he wouldn't do so head on. He'd pick his way through it, while trying to listen in when needed to find out where she was being held.

As their direct questions proved to be of no use, they took matters into their own hands and if her screams were any indication they had her held at the heart of the compound. Her pained cries even seemed to make some of the guards uncomfortable, getting awkward shifts here and there as they tried to get further away from the sobs that seemed to echo down the corridors. The unspeakable things occurring beyond the closed door couldn't even translate into Jade's connection to Max due to the insurmountable amount of pain inflicted upon a body immortal and a soul slowly breaking under the strain. She couldn't concentrate enough to try reaching out even though something in the back of her mind told her that he was there, somewhere. Close. He was so close. But was he close enough to make it to her in time?
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[June 3, 1108 AF]

Listening to the guards as he picked his way through the stronghold, slowly getting closer and closer. With the sounds of her screams just hastening his movements to reach her, killing when it was needed. As that red haze had taken hold of him, causing him to be without mercy to any and all he came across. Some had tried to fight him off, but did little to stop his advance, before finally reaching the closed door she was behind. With him slamming into it with a shoulder, aiming to knock the door open and draw the attention of those hurting Jade upon him now.

The one man army had marched through the compound and indiscriminately taken out all who stood in his way and as men lay dead and dying in his wake, only one door stood between Max and Jade. She still hadn't spoken a single word, no begging or pleading for the pain to cease though some part of her wished she could die. The berserker rage backing Max's strength when combined with the powers instilled in him with his recent knighthood, he came crashing through, metal crunching from the impact. She was barely conscious, laying upon the floor. Her armor had been ripped away from her body in chunks, scattered on the floor. She wasn't bleeding but the gashes in her flesh would have certainly been fatal for a mortal being. She didn't move even when the pair of men around her were startled by Max's arrival, turning their attention toward him instead.

He probably looked like some sort of beast now by how much of their fellow comrades blood that was splattered over him, not to mention coating that massive sword of Jade's. When he crashed through the door and seen the battered form of Jade laying there on the floor. Max just snapped on the spot. "You will die for what you have done to her." A deep near feral growl echoed in his throat that might of made Jade proud if she had heard it, as he suddenly rushed forwards. Aiming to catch the two remaining men before they had time to react to much. With him aiming to impale one into the wall with that beast of a sword, then whip around with his own and behead the other one.

She heard it. Just barely. But she couldn't quite muster the energy to open her eyes. Still, a small smile crept onto her lips despite the sharp scent of the sanguine sacrifice offered by each and every man taken down by Max's hand. The decapitated man's head went rolling, ending up not far from Jade and instinctively she cringed away from the growing pool of blood. Her arms were still bound behind her and she felt rather useless but soon it went quiet save for the gurgling coming from the agape mouth of the man pinned to the wall, impaled upon the greatsword gifted to Jade by her father and currently wielded by the psychopathic dragon slayer.

Taking a moment to try and calm himself down now that the fight was over, as he started to shake from being in that prolonged state of being fully enraged. With him while still shaking a bit, moved down to unbind Jade's arms from behind her back. For the moment leaving the impaled man where he was at as he shifted to remove his cloak to wrap it around her form. With a look of worry crossing his features. "Jade?" Murmured softly as that worry translated into his voice.

"Nngh..." Was all she managed but she was alive and that's what mattered. Dark circles ringed her eyes and she looked utterly drained. Wrapped in his cloak and no longer bound, she curled into herself, whimpering softly. Everything ached and her body was slow to heal. It didn't feel right. But she was safe. "Home..." She croaked softly. "Nosgoth...please..."

He heaved a sigh of relief to hearing that noise from her, as he shifted to quickly gather up her armor, as well as getting that beast of a sword free. Once he was sure that he had everything with them. He shifted her to curl up against him, with a faint nod to her plea. "Home. Nosgoth." Murmured as he made sure her things were together, before touching that crystal of his, and with that one word in mind. Hoped that it would be enough to take them both to Nosgoth, as all that mattered to him, was getting Jade home to where she could recover.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[June 4th, 2014]

The crystal's power held true and Jade groaned as she felt them pulled through the realms and back to Nosgoth soil. Her eyes were half lidded and she trembled in his arms, one hand grasping the front of his blood soaked cloak, her knuckles white from how hard she was grasping it.

"Mmph. My sword..." She murmured, half conscious. Meanwhile, the arrival had caused quite the stir in Nosgoth. It was only a matter of time before they were alerted to the foreign presence and the injured princess. Shutting his eyes as Max growled to feeling the difference in traveling between realms again, still not fully used to traveling in such a manner. With him blinking his eyes open once the dizziness washed over to a manageable level, then looked down to Jade.

"Shh. Save your strength. I got your sword." He murmured back to her as he looked around for a moment, a bit clueless on where to take her now. Jade gave him the slightest of nods, her head tilting to rest against his chest. She could feel them coming, a familiar force approaching and as the voice met her ears, a soft groan left her lips. Her mother.

"Jade? What the hell happened to her?! And who are you?!" The veritable beacon of power that radiated from her mother's form reached out to the demi-goddess in the darkness of her barely there consciousness. But rather than reach out to it, she shied away, growling softly into Max's chest. Looking back down to Jade when she curled up against him, as Max shifted to hold her, he had no clue that someone was approaching them till he heard that voice calling out towards them both. Getting his gaze to snap up, and was just about to answer her when he noted the two others with this alternate version of Claire.

On her right was Gabe who was glaring daggers at him for seeing Jade in such a rather sorry state, but seemed to remain quiet as his mother spoke. And on her left was Jade's father. The alternate version of Zack, whom narrowed his eyes at the youth that held his daughter.

"If you hurt my daughter. I will make you suffer boy. Now what the hell happened?" Zack was slightly calmer than Claire's tone, but matched her anger towards the boy. Jade was finding it increasingly hard to stay conscious, her strength waning under the effects of whatever had been done to her in the depths of the compound. Her raven crowned head lifted though when she heard her father's voice and she managed to open her eyes just barely.

"Da?" She murmured softly, prompting her family to near Max and Jade rather closely. "The Crusaders… New Dawn… the temple… took us..." Her words were coming in bits and pieces, her thoughts not quite translating verbally and instead formulating broken fragments. It was getting harder to breathe and she whimpered softly.

"Saved me… it hurts..." She sighed out a breath and slumped against Max, her hand curling against the metal breastplate she had forged herself before sliding down to rest against her torso. Claire went still, her eyes narrowed as Jade spoke. New Dawn's Crusaders were a ruthless force, one she had been unable to eradicate from Valhalla's shores. They were hellbent on the goddess's destruction and sought to accomplish this by piecing together the Shards of Chaos that made up the Heart. Her heart, in fact. She had long ago split the Heart's manifestation into six separate shards for safe keeping, ensuring her continued reign and immortality so long as those pieces were never reunited to form one.

"Her pendant, Zack. We need to get her to a healer and see if she still has it." Claire said quietly, glancing over her shoulder toward Nosgoth proper. Max remained rather quiet to the three pairs of eyes glaring at him, before looking back down to Jade with his concern look for her ever present, growing deeper when she started to speak.

"Shh.. I'll let them know what happened. You save your strength." Max murmured softly to her before she slumped against him, getting him to look back to her family members. Zack continued to stare a hole through Max, before looking to Claire when she spoke up and nodded. With him moving to take Jade from Max, who handed her over.

"Gabe. Bring the boy with us." Simple and direct as he looked down at Jade's form and with a careful scan, nodded again to Claire that she still had the pendant, before moving to get her to a healer. Gabe looked between his parents, before nodding to his father's words and looked back to Max.

"On your feet...Shut up and follow us. Now." Growled at him as he barely gave Max time to get to his feet, before pressing a hand to his back to shove him in the direction that Zack had headed in. Keeping his eyes on the boy, as well as taking note of the armor, but chose not to mention the aura coming off of it. Wasn't his place to speak on the matter.

Return to “Through the Never”