The Gauntlet

Seek the places where light meets dark, there you will find tales of inexplicably intertwined realms both near and far.

Moderators: King, Claire Gallows, Cooper Gallows

Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Currently? In this Rhy'Din...which is really weird.

Post by Jade Alcar »

Jade was rather small in her father's arms and she curled up against him with a soft whimper as she was passed over from her knight to her father. She was grateful for her father's graceful steps, barely even jostled in his arms as he strode quickly for the healer's even if she managed a soft snarl at her brother for the way he spoke to Max.

It was just before dusk of the day after they had originally left and as the sun began to set on Nosgoth, the Alcars with one Maximus Shimmer-Scale in tow, arrived at the healer's door. Claire got their first and her closed fist pounded on the wood hard enough to get it to groan under the pressure, tiny cracks forming from the impact. A rather surprised elder came to the door, pulling it open and giving Claire an annoyed look. The look quickly dissipated though when she saw Jade in Zack's arms and quickly ushered all of them into the small house.

"Right over here, the table's clear and I'm going to need room to work. What in the world happened?" The healer asked, glancing from Jade to Zack to Claire to Max to Gabe and back again.

Zack had tried his best to keep from jostling Jade as much as he could, not even batting an eye as Claire strolled right past him to take the point. Letting her bang on the door would make things go faster, with a glance over his shoulder to Gabe and Max. With another glare for the boy, before moving by the elderly healer when they were ushered in, and moved to lay Jade down on the table. Gabe peered at his sister at the look given, with Max growling to the shove as well to the following ones anytime he happened to glance towards Zack and Jade. With him waiting till the others headed inside the small house, before stepping in as well.

"She was attacked..and tortured..What they did to her I do not know." Max stayed near the door as he finally spoke up, but unlike his normal soft spoken tone of voice, it held anger in it even as he gave Jade a soft tender, and worried look. As soon as Zack set her down she curled up into the fetal position, shuddering hard and whimpering. Thin wisps of black smoke rose from the wounds in her body as it tried to heal though the progress seemed rather slow going. She shivered again as the healer set the back of her hand to Jade's forehead and tsk'd.

"She's burning up..." The mage said softly before moving toward her cabinet to begin pulling out the various potions and tinctures she figured she would need. Max's words met Claire's ears and she whirled to face him, stalking toward him until his back was up against the door.

"What do you mean she was attacked and tortured? What the hell were you two doing there to begin with?! She knows better than to go without backup. She knows better!" Claire snarled angrily, getting another growl out of her daughter on the table. The mage's healing powers were used in conjunction with her potions and as the golden light poured over the injured demi-goddess's body, Claire was just about to go back to ripping into Max when a sharp howl of pain left Jade's mouth. The little princess in her ruined armor twisted and writhed on the table and with a sudden burst of energy kicked at the healer who went sprawling backwards in surprise.

Zack moved out of the way to let the healer do her work, with him shooting Max a look when he finally spoke up. But chose to let Claire handle him for now as well as getting the information out of the boy, with Gabe moving up to stand beside his father. Knowing full well that it was a bad idea to get in Claire's way when she was angry like this, with his gaze and his father looking back to the mage when she went sprawling backwards. With both moving to help her up. Max winced to Claire's tone for a moment, before looking away from Jade to focus on her mother.

"She crafted this armor for me, and after we talked about it in length. We went to the Unseen Realms so that she could give it to me as well as make me her knight there. While we were about to leave. The men that took her, attacked us there." Pausing a moment to glance at Jade at the growl, then back to Claire. "We both fought with everything that we had, but they overwhelmed us and she was captured." Claire might catch a deep hint of regret that he failed to keep her daughter safe.

"They took us both back to their stronghold, letting me go and started to torture her. She begged me to leave, but I couldn't just leave her in their hands. I went back to the temple and got her sword and..." He paused again, and looked Claire dead in the eyes now, not even backing down. "I killed each and everyone of them I came across to save and free her."

"She's resisting. Hold her still." The mage said with a heavy sigh once she got back up on her feet. Waiting for Gabe and Zack to step in to help, the healer went back to work, trying her best to fight back against whatever within Jade's aura was radiating away from the healing. The young woman continued to struggle, a low and almost feral growl rumbling in her chest as she tried to get free from their grasp and the golden light's warmth.

Claire however kept her attention on Max. Her gaze ran over the armor, a brow arched as he spoke. As far as she could see, he was telling the truth but at the end of the day her little girl was hurt and that maternal instinct was almost overwhelming the logic centers of her brain. Finally she took a slow breath to calm herself and gave him an even look.

"We will go back and you will show me where they took you two that way we make sure they never come back." She gave him a single nod before another sharp scream from her daughter drew her attention. A growl followed and Jade pushed hard at the healer.

"God damnit, let me go!" The littlest Alcar snarled. Once they had the healer back on her feet, and made sure she was fine. Zack and Gabe moved over to hold Jade down, allowing the woman to continue to try and heal her. With Zack's brow quirking as Jade was fighting the healing, as well as her aura trying to fight it off as well. Getting him to glance at Claire for a moment, as if to get her to come over. Something was wrong here, as Jade never fought off a healing like this.

Max glanced over to Jade when the healer had been tossed to the side, and wanted to go over to her side but already knew that wouldn't be allowed at the moment. His gaze moved back to Claire as he could feel everything that Jade was feeling now, with it starting to show in his features. Every bit of pain that she felt, so did he with him nodding to her words. His gaze snapped back to Jade, before stepping past Claire and making his way to Jade.

"Please..let them heal you." He pleaded softly. As much as she struggled, she still managed to narrow her eyes at Max. Tears had formed in her eyes, threatening to spill over as she blinked up at him.

"I...I can't..." Jade whispered weakly before lashing out again, a snarl curling her lips as she felt another wave of healing warmth run over her. Claire joined the others at the table and a firm hand pressed to the center of Jade's chest and rather easily held her down. Mother looked down at daughter and tilted her head, searching mentally to see what might be causing this.

"I can't get through to her...what did they do to her in there?" An almost desperately inquisitive look went Max's way even though he'd already told her that he didn't know. Claire shook her head, getting only static. The healer tipped a perplexed look up toward Jade's parents, trying her best to keep the healing powers flowing before shaking her head and relenting.

"I think for now it would be best to control the fever...we can address the evident spiritual issues once she's stabilized." The mage said softly, taking a step back from the teenager who still saw it fit to fight against her family members. Once the mage backed off, Jade settled, breathing hard and glaring daggers at the old woman. Zack and Gabe shifted with a faint growl here and there to fighting against Jade to hold her down, with a glance to Claire when she moved over to help out as well. Max had gotten a look from Zack when he pleaded to Jade for her to settle down, before focusing back on letting the healer do her work.

"I don’t know what they did to her. I didn't get a chance to ask her, because as soon as I saw her like this I snapped, then I brought her here the moment after I killed those that had been harming her." Max spoke to Claire as he dared to move closer if the family allowed it. Aiming to get as close to Jade as he could to perhaps help to calm her down, as well as see if their connection was still intact.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

For being so little, she was awfully strong even with her brother and father holding her down. But once she settled they could relent as she collapsed back against the table with a dull thud. The mage cautiously approached again with a cold cloth for the girl's forehead, carefully draping it over her hot flesh before stepping back again lest she be kicked once more. They didn't pay her nearly enough for this. As Max neared, Jade slowly looked up at him, evidently in a daze and no longer holding any of the violent energy she'd shown before.

"Max...it hurts..." She said softly, her eyelids drooping over irises tinted a faint shade of purple at the edges, a slow seeping of the royal hue interjecting itself through aquamarine typically as vibrant as the sea or sky. She reached for his hand but the motion came up short and her hand fell to the table as well, the coolness of the cloth on her head further relaxing her delirious state. Zack and Gabe slowly backed off once Jade settled down on the table, before shooting a look to Max. They had heard everything that he had said, as well as sharing a brief look to the other. With Zack placing a hand to his son's shoulder and pulling him back another step as it seemed to be Max's own presence that was getting her to settle more.

"What hurts?" Max murmured as he turned his attention to fully rest on Jade, then moved up to catch her hand as she reached for him. With him looking down into her eyes, and taking note of the faint hint of purple starting to form in her eyes, slowly seeping into the vibrant aquamarines. "Tell me what they did to you, please."

A slow roll of her eyes and tilt of her head had her taking in the room around her. A soft growl formed in her throat as her gaze passed over her brother and father as they looked at one another. But as Max spoke she brought her attention back up to him and looked at him with unfocused eyes, the slow shift of violet just barely creeping across bright blue toward the black of her pupils.

"Hurts..." Jade repeated softly, her other hand settling over her sternum. A soft pat and then her hand settled against her chest with a tired sigh. Her eyes closed for a few moments and it looked like she might have fallen asleep. After a second or two, her body jerked and her eyes popped open again. She groaned through a cough and sought Max out again.

"We'll be back. And we'll finish it next time." She said quietly before closing her eyes and letting her head loll back on the table, her chest slowly rising and falling as if she were in a deep sleep. The healer perked a brow and shuffled over to check the sleeping woman and shook her head.

"She...seems to be resting for the time being. I think it may be best to get her somewhere she'll be comfortable. Somewhere familiar so that if she wakes up suddenly she isn't too alarmed...I'd bet it's the fever talking..." The rambled recommendation came quickly as the elder glanced between Jade, her family, and Max.

Max continued to hold her hand with a light squeeze here and there to remind her of his presence beside her, as he noted the looks given to her father and brother. With him looking to her sternum when she patted it with a faint nod, before glancing more towards Claire when Jade closed her eyes. Seeing if her mother had any idea to what Jade was talking about. His gaze snapped back to Jade when she spoke.

"Rest for now." Max murmured as he again noted the slow shift towards her eyes taking on a more violet hue. Not saying anything about it now, as even both Zack and Gabe looked to Claire. To see if she might be able to shed any light on to what was going on, with Max nodding to the healer. Still wearing that look of utter concern as his attention was back to fully resting on Jade. Claire kept her gaze levelled on Jade, fully aware that she had multiple sets of eyes upon her. Her unsteady hand slipped into her pocket, taking a step back from the table her daughter was now sleeping on.

"We take her back to her bedroom. I've some work to do but we'll need to ward it. Both ways." Claire said quietly with a look toward Zack, meaning that her room would need to be warded to keep the bad out as well as to keep the bad in. In this case to keep Jade herself within until they could figure out what might be plaguing the girl. Her hand swept over top of Jade, a web of black strands criss-crossing to form a protective blanket like barrier over her daughter. Though she didn't speak it, it would also dull Jade's senses so she didn't process what might be said after that point.

"Gabriel, mount a team. Small. Only the most trusted. We keep a twenty four hour guard on her and we'll be needing to head back to the Unseen to eliminate any remaining threat that might linger there." Claire glanced to her husband and son then toward Max as he stood beside her daughter. "As a Knight of the Unseen Realm and my daughter's chosen champion, I offer you the opportunity to take part in this venture. Should you choose not to accept it, I certainly understand however these men have bound my daughter, your ward, to something and I'll be damned if I don't find out what." With that said, Claire nodded toward the door. It was time to go.

Max glanced to Claire as she started to speak, as well as Zack and Gabe doing the same. With Zack nodding to her words, and moved off to their home to start setting up the wards. A final glance to Jade, then one to Max for a moment. Regarding the young man that appeared to care so much for his daughter, as well as catching on that she felt the same way in return. To the point that she had made this boy her chosen champion, with a slight nod to Claire as he disappeared. Gabe nodded to his mother.

"I shall gather our best soldiers for this." Sparing a glance to Max and Jade for a moment, before he just left without a word or anything. He had his task and chose to carry it out. Max looked to Claire when she spoke to him, with him looking back to Jade.

"I will take her back with you to her room, but I wish to remain at her side at all times. She chose me to protect her and watch over her always. I shall continue to do so even now, that is if you will allow it." Max said softly as he shifted to be the one to pick the now sleeping Jade up to follow the others.

Claire watched as he scooped Jade up, the healer watching just as carefully. A slight nod was given and Etro's successor held a brief conversation of low tones and faint nods with the mage before exhaling a tight breath and slipping away from the elder with a faint squeeze of a hand. Claire tipped a look back toward Max, quiet for a few long moments as she led the way out of the healer's cottage and back toward the Alcar manor.

"As her champion, you are entitled to that privilege. However." Claire began, lifting a single finger to keep him from interrupting as she continued. "However, I do not think her father or her brother will see it the same so I wish you well. While I'll do my best, there may be some convincing to be done but we can't afford to turn away strength when it is needed."

As they approached the sprawling home, Claire gave a nod here and there to those they passed, taking no mind of the concerned looks given to Max as he followed behind, carrying Jade. Letting him in, the door was locked and heavily warded behind him and quick strides took her, and by proxy Max, toward Jade's bedroom. A tidy room filled with shelves full of books, what wall space that could be seen was coated in a baby pink paint that matched the accents on her bedspread. It suited a twelve year old girl more than it did a grown woman but Jade had never saw fit to change it. Its familiarity would serve well if the healer's inclinations were correct. By that time. Zack and Gabe had already left so they would of had no clue to Max's request to stay by Jade's side during all of this, with the young man nodding to Claire's words.

"I know I must prove myself to you and your family. I am willing to do that when it is needed. I mean no offence with this, but my pressing concern is to find out what is wrong with Jade. First and foremost." Said firmly to Claire yet it held respect for the woman and her family, as he followed her back to the house.

"With all due respect, she should have known better than to venture into the realm alone. Nothing against you, but newly knighted you're still unfamiliar with the territory even if you can rely on brute strength to get you past the Crusaders." Claire said softly, an appraising gaze sweeping over Max. For now she wouldn't debate his relationship with Jade since her daughter's well-being was far more important than inane bickering at the moment. Zack meanwhile had been working hard on making the wards strong enough to keep any bad things out, as well as whatever was within Jade inside the room. Glancing to Claire and Max when they arrived, before moving to follow the trio. Not saying anything at the moment, as he watched as Max laid Jade down as carefully as possible on her bed. Zack then moved to Claire.

"What do we do about him?" Zack spoke low as he nodded towards Max, as the young man once again took ahold of Jade's hand. His way of trying to keep her at peace. Once they arrived, Claire took care to keep her distance, lingering in Jade's doorway with her husband as she watched. She tipped a look up toward Zack as he questioned her softly and sighed.

"What do you mean 'what do we do about him'? He's been ordained a knight, he's no different than you were when I made you such. He stays for now and we sort things out later once we fix Jade." She said firmly, certain that Zack's protectiveness over his only daughter would kick in with the desire to keep any boy far, far away from his little girl. Meanwhile Jade slept soundly in her bed, her hair feathering out around her head like a pitch black halo as she sunk into her pillow.

Max nodded softly to Claire's words, as he knew that he would have to prove himself to being worthy of being Jade's appointed knight, as well as being able to be with her. Yet for the moment he focused on staying near Jade as much as her parents would allow it, with him missing the conversation going on between them about him. Zack glanced to Claire as she spoke, before looking back towards Jade and Max. His current worry about their daughter's well-being as well, with a faint hint of a growl to her words on letting the boy stay.

"Fine. He can stay for now, but I want someone keeping an eye on him at all times. He is not to leave this house." The fact that Claire pointed out that this boy was pretty much like himself now. For now for Jade's sake, he wouldn't grab Max up and just throw him out, as he had noted that she seemed to be more at ease with the boy around, and figured it would help if she woke up and seen him. Claire shot Zack a stern look when he even hinted at growling at her for her words until he finally acquiesced and conceded to the fact that Max was needed here. She nodded.

"I would agree with that. Gabriel will keep an eye on him, I'm sure." She offered with a small smile, knowing how protective Gabe was of his baby sister. Folding her arms over her chest, she gave Jade and Max one last look before stepping out into the hallway. As she did so, she swallowed hard and exhaled a breath slowly, waiting for Zack to join her before speaking again.

"They've bound something to her. I don't know what. I don't know how. But whatever it is, I don't like it. We leave for Valhalla in the morning." Claire Alcar said with a certain amount of finality that expressed she would go to the ends of any realm she could for the sake of resolving this.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[June 11th, 2014]

The nights had been long and sleepless. Jade had alternated between a deep sleep and sudden fits of terror, violent and reckless as she did her best to get out of her room. The wards placed upon her domain held fast though and despite the increasing state of disarray her room came to be in, it did as it intended, keeping her in and others out. Claire stood outside of Jade's room, the door glowing with intricate scrollwork with each heavy thud inflicted by the latest object thrown at it from the other side. Silver and navy armor wrapped her form in its embrace and covered forearms crossed in front of her chest, eyes narrowed on the door.

"Are Gabriel and the others ready yet?" She looked toward Zack, a brow perking. In a perpetual state of war readiness, she couldn't quite understand the tedious need to ready oneself as slowly as some did.

Having spent as much time in the room with Jade as her parents would allow, Max was finally told by her father that he needed to step out. Max glared at Zack for a brief moment, getting a faint smirk in return at the look. This whole situation with Jade picking Max as her champion as well as it appearing that the two cared deeply for the other. It would be handled later, after they figured out what was wrong with Jade. Even as she tried to get out of the room, getting Max to shoot a look in that general direction at the noise.

"They are getting there, though I find it rather interesting who is the one hurrying them up." Zack looked to Claire for a moment then back to the door at the latest thud. "Seems Jade picked someone to be her knight that is hell bent on finding out what is going on, as well as making them suffer." Nod of his head down the hallway and towards the window looking out the front. "Even Gabe smirked a bit to him barking out orders."

Claire's brows rose further as she looked at her husband, steady gaze upon him as she listened. A small nod was given and she glanced back toward the door. "It does not surprise me. Carrying a mantel akin to his comes with certain confidence boosters. As I remember you took to it like a duck to water." She smiled faintly even as a particularly loud bang hit the door. The runes flared brightly and she sighed softly, pressing the palm of her hand to it to reinforce the protective magics that kept it steadfast. "Tis what he said about their first encounter with New Dawn. And we shall finish the job. Do tell them to hurry, I shall meet you at the portal." She leaned over to kiss his cheek before striding down the hallway and away from Jade's room, a pained look upon her face as she made her way outside to await the team.

Zack smirked a touch at Claire's reaction to what he told her. "And I think he feels that this is all his fault for not being able to protect her from this either." Murmured low to her, before looking to the door at the bang. "Sooner we take them out the better." Another murmur before smiling a bit to the kiss and moving to help with getting the others ready, only to blink when he reached the team. Max had gotten them ready, lined up in formation and ready to go. "We head for the portal now." Zack murmured to the group before moving up to take the lead.

Gabe moved up to fall into step with his father, with Max doing the same. As he seemed the most eager to head back now to the Unseen Realms. Not to mention to find out what was going on with Jade, as no one had told him anything since he brought her back.

There hadn't been much to say, the fitful nights proving to be of little rest to the exhausted woman. She wouldn't let anyone near her enough to examine her further and they were all left with more questions than they had to begin with. Claire awaited their arrival, looking over the small but efficient group Gabriel had put together and she turned a proud smile upon her oldest son. "Thank you darling." She said softly before turning and cracking open the portal. The air rippled with wisps of Chaos but she was at one with the element and lead the way through.

"While we know where we're going this time, we do not know what we are facing. So be prepared and be ruthless. At the end of the day, we only need one to talk but I'm not opposed to making it known we will not tolerate an attack upon one of our own." Claire said sternly before emerging on the other side, an eerily silent Valhalla.

Max had worried all the more after he was asked to step out of the room. With him getting little to no sleep since, as he pushed himself to keep going. Now walking with the others as he looked between the small group gathered, then towards Claire when they reached her. With Gabe flashing his mother a smile. "Welcome mother." Bowing his head back to her, then moved to follow her through the open portal.

Zack glanced to Max for a moment, with a faint nod for him to move up near Claire. Seeing how he had been the one to be taken to their stronghold, as well as knowing the way back to it, it would be better if the youth was close to Claire so she could ask him anything that was needed. Zack smirked to Claire's words, before he and the others followed her through the portal. Knowing that this would be rather ruthless on their side.

Valhalla was quiet. Too quiet. But Claire kept Maximus close and took care to heed his directions, traversing the uneven terrain of the city and out toward the darkest reaches of the land, past a seemingly abandoned guard post and toward the last place Max had seen the men. It was a veritable ghost town, no sign of life in or outside of the compound and Claire quirked a brow, looking to Max with a touch of incredulous disbelief. "Are you sure this is the place?" She asked. A vague gesture of her hand sent the first line of their party forward to investigate, her strides keeping her ever so slightly back from them as she watched, curious as to if this was a trap or if they had the wrong location.

Max kept close to Claire, with him either nodding or lifting a hand to stop the group. Before motioning for the to start moving again, taking note that the place was far to quiet now than it had been before. When they arrived to the compound, it even got Max to pause for a moment. "It is." Murmured back to Claire as he took note that it was more or less a ghost town. Causing him to ponder for a moment if he had done that much damage just to save Jade from the ones that kidnapped her.

Claire's lips pursed in annoyance and she eyed the empty compound with a shake of her head. "Either they've abandoned it or there was nobody left to leave it behind." She said quietly before finally striding toward the compound's entrance. The scent of dried blood and early decay met her nostrils as she opens the heavy door but she was met with no attacks. No cries of surprise. Just silence. Claire's bootsteps echoed as she pressed further into the empty building and after an extended period, she came back out with a shake of her head. "They're dead. I don't see any signs that anyone has been here since the dead fell either." Rolling her shoulders, she exhaled a breath through her cupped hands and a roiling cloud of black that coalesced into a dark block, expanded out, and faded away. Dead men tell no tales, not here at least.

Max followed behind Claire, with one hand wrapped around the hilt of Jade's own sword. Still strapped to his back, with him looking around. Just now getting a look at the utter scale of violence he had dished out only a few days before. Zack and Gabe followed them in, and looked around as Claire lead the way. Sparing a glance to he other for a moment. "Either he killed them all off, or he scared the hell out of them." Gabe mused for a moment to his father with a slight smirk as he jerked his head towards Max. Who seemed to be more focused on the surrounding area than the two behind him. "Appears so, or if any managed to flee. They could be hiding or else where. We'll search the compound, and see what we find as well as what the others see and find." Zack murmured back to his son in return.

Claire took little heed of Zack and Gabriel's idle banter, fully concentrating on probing the depths of the compound for any sign of life. She found none and as she stared blankly at the empty compound, she shook her head and dipped a look toward Max. "You did well, boy." A little *too* well it seemed, but it would do. She couldn't fault him for doing what she would have done as well. Rubbing her hand over her face, she looked back to Zack and sighed. "Dead end, love. Do we scour the realm for any signs of those similar or do we bide our time and wait for them to rear their ugly heads again?" The New Dawn Crusaders were like cockroaches in Claire's mind, unable to be fully eradicated no matter what she did.

Zack knew that Claire would be more focused on the task at hand as he looked around after the little banter with Gabe. Who was doing the same, before looking towards Claire and Max when his mother spoke. He had to give it to the man that had gained his sister's eye. He had done one hell of a job in paying those reponsible for hurting Jade back ten fold. Zack glanced back to Claire when she spoke, first to Max who nodded lightly yet didn't relax at all. Before turning his attention to Claire. "Might help if we could look over the room they held Jade in. Might tip us off to what they done to her."

Claire exhaled a held breath and reverted her path back to the compound. She hadn't wanted to revisit such a place, rife with the lingering suffering of those who had died there as well as the bit of her daughter that seemed to have been lost. But sometimes there were things in life that you just do and as confident steps quickly carried her down blood stained corridors, stepping over the cold and stiff corpses of downed zealots and toward the center of the compound. She needed no direction from Max, no, she could feel it. She could feel each and every ounce of pain, it's imprint left upon the building's aura like a splash of paint upon a blank canvas. It sent shooting pains through her chest as she stepped into the dark and dank room that they had tortured her daughter in.

"By the Maker..." She murmured, shaking her head as she fought to breathe. A body was slumped against the far wall, a streak of black leading down from a piercing in the metal as if the building itself had bled when stabbed. Near a dimly lit corner of the room, a decapitated body lay feet from it's head, and on a rolling tray not far from the body was an assortment of instruments; scalpels and razors, tweezers and tongs, a suture kit...Claire puzzled the pieces, curious as to if they planned to stitch her daughter together after they were done with her. It made no sense. If they sought to kill her, certainly they wouldn't have patched her up, but the evidence spoke contrary.

"They wanted her to live..."

Max looked to Zack to his offered advice before looking down for a moment as he closed his eyes. Even as Gabe moved to follow his mother back down the path, with Zack waiting behind for the young man. "Come on." Murmured to the man, as he waited for Max to start following the others. With Max noticing that Claire didn't need him to lead the way this time, with him seemingly feeling the pain that Jade had felt.

Once the others stepped into the room behind Claire, with Zack moving up beside her. Looking around at the scene for a moment, before looking back to Max for a moment. Taking note of the youth looking down, before looking back to Claire. "Can you sense anything that they might have done to her?" Murmured low as Gabe was looking around the room while the two talked. He too noted Max looking down, before moving over to him. Not saying anything at the moment, before looking back to his parents.

Claire did her best to concentrate, feeling out the room mentally, drawing the lingering remnants of the men's essences to try and get a feel for what their intentions were. Vague but malevolent, her head spun as she did funneled every ounce of focus into it. "They wanted the Heart..." She murmured softly, her eyes closed tightly, swaying unsteadily on her feet. Her head shook and her eyes popped open, turning a dark look toward Zack. "I can't read it. But they meant for her to live." Her eyes narrowed as it clicked. "Do they mean to use her against us?" She asked softly, looking toward Zack and then toward Max.

Zack remained close to Claire as he left Max under Gabe's watchful eye, keeping his focus on her now as she tried to feel out just what had happened here. With a faint nod to her words, before shifting to support her when she started to sway on her feet. His brows rose to her choice of words, before looking to Max for a moment. Only to look back to Jade. "That is possible." Murmured back to Claire. "I don't think they counted on him being here, or him coming back for her." Murmured to her again with a slight glance to Max.

Gabe on the other hand was watching Max, as he seemed to be trapped in his own mind at the moment. As the images of the battle in the temple, as well as the ones that took place in the compound were now flashing in front of his eyes. Missing that both Zack and Claire were speaking, as well as them glancing in his direction. Gabe caught the words as well as the glances, before looking back to Max. "Try not to be so hard on yourself. You saved Jade's life and right now you could be the only one that holds her together."

She reached a hand for Zack's to steady herself and she shook her head. "I don't think they did either. They let him go thinking he wasn't a threat. Little do they know." She sighed quietly and shut her eyes once more. "Let us leave this wretched place. We've nothing more to learn of it." She said softly and turned toward the door, a battered and dented metal thing with a firm imprint of the blonde teen with them today. A small smile graced her lips at the realization until she caught a faint glimmer of purple in the corner of her eye. Turning for the darkest reaches of the room, she scowled down at the tiny, minuscule crystalline shard, not daring to pick it up.

"God damnit." She growled, shaking her head, the weight of her stare becoming a physical force for the crystal remnant, causing it to disintegrate before her eyes. "We need to get back to Jade." Turning quickly for the door, she ushered the men with her and quickly returned to the waiting group outside.

Zack took her hand with a light squeeze to it as he waited for her to steady herself, before glancing to the young man for a moment. "Agreed. He showed more courage than most would." Murmured as he moved to walk out with her, with a glance to the door for a moment. Getting him to smirk slightly till looking to Claire then towards that faint glimmer of purple, then nodded to Claire as he moved to head out.

Max looked up finally at Gabe's words and nodded faintly, before moving to head out as well. With a glance to Claire when she cursed out, before moving even faster. Moving past the waiting group outside, as Gabe moved up to walk with his parents. "So...what's going on?" Murmured low to both his parents once Max was far enough ahead of the others.

Claire turned a look toward Gabe, eyes narrowed and lips pursed. "It was a Twilight shard. If Jade's come in contact with it, she could be in trouble." She said quietly, her words meant only for Gabriel and Zack, glancing worriedly toward Max but kept the thought to herself. If what she thought had happened had actually occurred, Max was at risk as well. She would watch the boy like a hawk, she decided, and pressed forward, leaving the compound behind and returning toward the city proper. Valhalla was as quiet as ever and for once rather than seeing it as peaceful, Claire found it unsettling and she endeavored to return to Nosgoth as quickly as possible.

Gabe actually took a step back at that narrow eyed look from his mother, before nodding faintly. "You don't think they..forced it upon her?" Murmured low to his parents as he glanced towards Max as well, as it seemed he was on the same thinking pattern as his mother. Zack looked between the two as they spoke, before looking back towards Max as well. "If that is the case. We need to keep an eye on both of them, as well as making sure they are safe." Murmured low to the pair.

Ahead. Max continued the push towards the portal that would take them back to Nosgoth, as the only thing on his mind now. Was getting back to Jade and doing whatever it took to help her out.

"It's a grim possibility." She said tightly, watching as Max went for the portal before anyone else. Hurrying after him, she nodded her agreement to Zack and with minimal direction for the others, lead the way home. Well, behind Max that is.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[June 29th, 2014]

Jade had been long gone by the time they returned, the door in splinters, taken clean off the hinges. Smoldering ash was all that remained of the powerful runes that had kept her locked away but with her parents in another realm, it weakened the connection and gave her a prime opportunity to make her escape. The lone person posted outside of her bedroom in her family's absence had been knocked out cold, a vicious mental attack having left them in a crumpled heap on the floor in the hallway, a slow trickle of blood dripping from their nose. She would apologize later for it. Oh who was she kidding, no she wouldn't. Her first task had been to leave Nosgoth immediately. There were far too many powerful entities that would have certainly stood in her way. Since she was unsure of Max's status in her little game plan, she had avoided their treehouse as well.

Instead she had retreated to the safety of the Tower of Air. And there she had stayed ever since. Slowly her Knight found himself falling under her influence as well and as the corrupting force weaseled its way into his subconscious as well, their bond was further cemented and she permitted him entrance to the Tower on the Isle as well. That sanctity however, was being threatened in the form of a challenge from the ranger Gren. A powerful mage in his own right and an accomplished duelist in the other venues, Jade couldn't help but hold a strong amount of contempt for the innocent man. The match was on the morrow and she paced the hallways of the tower, a relentless wind rippling in her wake, billowing the crimson cloak worn securely around her shoulders and secured at the base of her throat with a brooch inset with a purple-black gemstone. The gemstone pulsed with cold, the colors shifting and changing within the stone like smoke over water.

Someone was feeling just a wee bit volatile to say the least.

Something about Gren's challenge absolutely infuriated her. How dare he try to take her tower away? The audacity of it, really! It was hers. By right, as Jesse might say. With that, she was determined to crush the threat that was Gren Blockman and hopefully retain the right to her airy spire in the mountains if only for a bit longer. She needed this, desperately. It was her stronghold against those who sought her out and in the event her Knight decided to go back to the side of the good, she could easily lock herself away and deny him access once more. For now though, for now he would be allowed to stay holed up with her. Speaking of her Knight, where was he?

Ever since his return from traveling back to the Unseen Realms with Jade's family. He had feel a strong pull towards that same chaotic energy that had taken a hold of her. As the moment he stepped back through the portal, he already knew that Jade had gotten out of her room. With a glance over his shoulder as it would be moments before her family followed him.

Now remaining holed up with Jade, as he never left her side for long. With that connection between them, slowly starting to make him more and more loyal to her and her alone. As he made his way back to her side. Muttering about her challenge against Gren, not liking it at all that he was powerless to take care of this male for her.

She paused in her manic pacing, feeling him near and calming significantly as his presence soothed her. Her fingertips tugged at the brooch that set at the hollow of her throat, loosening her cloak if ever so slightly. Putting her hands on her hips, she turned to face him, her chin lifting. Eyes narrowed, she glowered at him. "Where have you been? I thought perhaps you'd left me for them."

He felt that manic energy through out the tower the moment he had stepped inside. With him wasting little time in making his way up, before coming to a stop upon seeing and reaching her. Her words got his eyes to narrow sharply at her, before he slowly started to stalk towards her. "I have been keeping an eye out just in case they come looking for you." Growled harshly at her as he lowered down more to her height. "I am your knight and champion. I serve you and only you."

His harsh tone held little sway over her, managing to hold her head high despite his reprimanding words. Her lips pursed as she considered them, eyes that had turned fully violet falling upon him to look him over. "Good. Because I would just as soon remove your mantle than allow you to side with them." She said venomously, stepping close to him and curling her fingers against his chest. "Have I anything to worry about?"

Growling again to her threat that she would replace him should he side with her family. With his hand coming up to grip her by the hair, as his eyes soon matched her own. A mix of that red haze as well as a black chaotic energy deep within his eyes. "You have nothing to worry about, my Goddess." Another growl from him. "I am forever your knight and champion. Ever willing to take down anyone that would challenge you or try to come after you."

Her jaw tightened as his fingers caught her hair, a wild mess of raven locks that seemed to have only become even more untameable than before. She tilted her head with a pull against his grip, a cruel smirk curving her lips. "Perfect. Now that's settled, we've a matter of what to do should this... game tomorrow go awry. While I'm loathe to consider the ranger's skills, there stands a possibility that our stronghold may become forfeit should I perform poorly."

His lips turned into a slow smirk as he looked down at her, keeping his grip of her hair rather firm. With a hard pull on her hair for a moment when she pulled against the grip. "It pains me that I am not allowed to take care of this threat for you." Hissed at her as he finally let go of her hair, as his eyes flared again for a moment. "What is your plan in the unlikely even that this..ranger beats you?" Easily showing confidence that she would win.

She hissed out a tight breath when he pulled and her hand came up to bat away his arm with a low growl. "Perhaps had you applied yourself within the structure setting of the dueling rings for the arcane sport, you could do so for me. Until then, I will handle it." She rolled her eyes, stepping away from him and turning toward a hazy window that looked out over the isle. "Then we take the Unseen for our own." She said with some amount of finality. Now that one was a long shot.

He growled back at her when she bat his hand away, before eyeing her. "Perhaps I should turn my attention to the arcane sport here. Though I do hold my own in the sword sports they have here." Moving to walk towards the hazy window that looked out over the Isle. "That we will, and there will be no one that will stop us from doing so." The same hint of finality in his as well.

"Perhaps." She scoffed at him, crossing her arms over her chest as her gaze slowly roved over the sparsely populated Isle. Goblins waddled to and fro here and there but for the most part if there was no dueling going on, it was empty. Quite like the Unseen realm. She liked it. "No they won't. They will try, you can bet your *** on that. But they will not succeed. Even if I have to ruin my bitch of a mother myself, I'll do it."

"Perhaps." Looking over his shoulder with a faint smirk. "Or perhaps if I gain enough ground in this or the other sport. We could have ourselves two places to ourselves." Once again looking back out the window, and watched the goblins below for a moment. "They will try and fail. That is final. You will handle your mother, and I shall handle your father and brother."

She tilted her head, considering that. "I think Fire would suit you." Tipping a look toward the volcano in the north. Pondering that for a few long moments, she finally turned away from the window, her cloak swishing with the motion. She seemed to falter ever so slightly with his words, her head straightening out as she looked up at him. "So we shall." She said finally, her voice quiet but strong. Clearing her throat, she turned to finish her progression down the corridor, beckoning him after her. "If we must, we enlist help."

Glancing towards the volcano to the north for a moment. "I would agree with that. Fire would suit me well." Turning from the window to watch her now, as he catch that slight falter in her voice. "Yes we shall." His remaining strong, before moving to follow her. Quickly moving into step with her. "If we must. We must pick those that will serve us loyally."

"We could make it rain fire upon the Isle. It would be delightful." She said with a clap of her hands. Brisk steps carried her down the hallway and she gave him a nod as he fell into step beside her. "I should think the Crusaders would be the first to acknowledge their fealty to the Queen of Chaos." She sniffed haughtily, managing to get half a step ahead of him before faltering further. This time she stumbled, gasping out and clutching at her midsection. The pain that racked her body had her seeing stars and as the tunnel vision set in, she felt her knees meet the floor. Such a thing wasn't unusual as of late but man did it hit like mack truck when it did. And for a moment, just a moment, she whimpered like the scared little girl she was so used to being.

"Or rain down on those that cross us." Side glance to her as that smirk returned across his lips. "And if they do not. They will suffer the same fate. Utter destruction." Getting a bit of a darker laugh to come from him, which faded the moment she faltered. Already moving up to catch her before she could hit the floor. Holding her as the pain that coursed through her, made it's way to course through him. Yet somewhere in the back of his mind, he knew that he must remain strong for her. So no sounds of pain came from him, even if it hurt like hell.

Her muscles quivered with the pulses of pain and for a few moments she wondered if she could stay conscious. She felt like she wanted to claw her own stomach out and on some deeper level, she knew it was her body's way of fighting against the steadily corrupting force of the twilight shard that had been fused with her body. Trembling in his grasp, her head spun as she looked up at him, a shaking hand coming up to settle against his cheek. Her eyes were glazed and out of focus and it seemed like she wasn't winning the fight against the dark that threatened to overtake her. The pain was too much and softly she whispered. "Please make it stop..." Just before passing out.

He gritted his teeth at the pulses of pain coursing through him as well. Yet unlike Jade who knew what the cause was. Max had no idea on what was causing her to go through this pain, as well as himself. Continuing to hold her in his arms as she trembled, before looking down at her. "How..." Was all he could get out before she passed out, with him shifting to scoop her frame up in his arms. Then turned to carry her up towards the master suite. Keeping his word of not letting anyone near her unless Jade said otherwise.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[??? AF]

Simple days in Rhydin could easily have been drawn out into weeks in the Unseen Realm and as time ticked by in leaps and lulls, Jade had a single thing on her mind. Victory. It had been a long and grueling fight, one that had taken every hour, minute, and strange second of time to try and achieve. But as she drove her great blade down through the heart of another soldier, she smiled cruelly and yanked it free as she watched the man expire. Violet gaze slid to seek out Maximus as they found another inky battlefield devoid of life save for those on her side. "Status update, my Knight. How much further have we got to go?"

Having long since gotten used to how the time flowed in the Unseen Realm, which allowed him to move through out it without wasting much energy. It also drew him closer and closer to his goddess with every moment they had spent here, fully following her orders to either beat people into submitting to her. Or killing them if they refused to do so. Killing yet another one of the soldiers that had dared to raise their sword in defiance towards Jade, before looking towards her when she called out to him. "I believe that we are nearly done, my Goddess." Looking to her as the mix of red haze, and the dark chaos in his eyes were swirling in his stormy blues. Almost as if that quiet youth that she first met was long gone now.

She crossed the distance that separated her from him, stepping on the bodies of the fallen as she went. A hand covered with a black plated gauntlet reaches for his chin and her fingers grasp it gently. Almost tenderly. Behind her, a fallen man let out a groan that was quickly smothered by the heel of her boot grinding against his throat. Still she held his chin and rewarded him with the most pleased of smiles and a feather light brush of her lips against his. "Well done, my love. We press the advantage then and finish them while they are weak. The city will fall and the realm will be mine thanks to you." She purred quietly up to him.

Watching her as she stared to close the distance towards him, with him slowly looking her over. A low growl in the back of his throat to her movements, with him lowering his head the moment her black plate gauntleted hand touched it. As a smirk crossed his lips to her ending the life of the groaning man with her boot, before brushing his lips back against hers in the same manner. "I seek to please you, my love. We should hit them now, before they have the chance to regroup." Growled softly down to her. "Then we can prepare for the next stage."

Weeks. Weeks had lead them up to this. With the backing of the Crusaders, Jade and Maximus had built up a formidable army capable of handily crushing the minimal forces that had been kept in the realm during times of peace. The enemy hadn't counted on such a swift offensive and had nary any time to prepare. Jade had taken full advantage of that and as she beamed up at Max in silence, the air thick with soul energy and spilled blood, she stroked her fingers against his cheek again before pulling away. "Yes. I wish for you to lead us this time. Prove victorious and I will name you my commander of the realm."

During that time of planning, with Maximus being the one to help her each time she called upon him to gain her allies for the force they had gathered. As he offered his own insight to certain situations when asked, with him never saying no to her when she wished to attack. Now taking a moment to look around as she beamed up at him, taking in the utter carnage that they had caused. With a light growl to her stroking his cheek, before looking back down to her. "As you wish, my Goddess." Kneeling down in front of her. "When do you wish for me to strike the final blow?'

Oh how she loved how much he pandered to her new found ego. It had her positively giddy at times. As he knelt, she smirked and pondered his question for some time, her gaze cast to the horizon. Her finger tapped against his shoulder, allowing him to rise, the smirk still firmly in place on her lips. Her head tilted to one side, causing the plait that she had braided her hair into to slide over her shoulder. "You'll know when the time is right. Strike true, I have faith in you and I shall watch from afar."

He knew that she loved it when he pandered to her new ego as well as knowing that she loved the newly found confidence dwelling within him now. He feared nothing now, as he remained kneeling in front of her. When she tapped his shoulder, he would rise and follow her gaze towards the horizon. "Very well, my Goddess. As you command it. It shall be done."

She reluctantly parted from him at the point, her fingers trailing down his arm, tracing over his wrist and intertwining their fingers before she stepped away. For this one, the end all be all, it was not her place to stand at the fore front of the fight. And if there was anyone she trusted to do her bidding for her, it was him. Jade gave him a tender smile, something reminiscent of their earlier days and took her leave via a cloud of chaos.

Keeping his gaze forward as his mind was already wrapping around multiple ways to carry out the attack. Yet his gaze eventually looked back down at her as she moved her hand along his arm then interlocking their fingers. Nothing needed to be said in that moment, as he knew that she trusted him above all others. With him bowing his head to her at the tender smile, with him giving her one in return. For a mere moment. It was a glimpse of their days gone, before he looked to the men after she disappear. "How long will it take to storm this place?"
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[??? AF, 000 AR]

"If we move in now, we catch them in their retreat. Should we make it there before they return to the temple we can slaughter them as they run." Said a young man at the head of the pack. He wore a bloodthirsty grin, almost maniacal in nature, as if he was just itchy to spill as much life onto the hallowed grounds of Valhalla as possible. "We are at your disposal, my liege."

He looked towards the young man that spoke up for a long silent moment, before glancing to some of the older men that were now under his command. The offer did sound tempting. "Hmm. Do we know if there are any troops in their tower?" Even if he wanted to end it here and now, he would chose a path that caused them the least among of loss.

The troops were nearly fanatical in their cause and it seemed that Maximus was the only one considering any losses. With all that had been set in motion, those that had been converted to the cause seemed all too willing to die for it. There was silence after Max's question before another man spoke up. "Minimal. They've not yet had time to replenish their scourge from the last time we vanquished them from our lands."

He noted that fanatical hungry in their eyes, and it actually got him to smirk at seeing their eagerness to die. Yet he knew that sooner or later that Jade's parents would more than likely come here, and every body they had to use. Would be needed. "Very well. I will head for the tower. The rest of you track the fleeing men down, and kill as many as you can." He turned to start to make his way for the tower. "Keep our loses to a minimal. A dead body is of no use to me, or our Goddess." With that he moved to capture the tower on his own.

The men hightailed it in the direction of the enemy's retreat, vicious war cries mixing with the beating of the hooves of ghastly spectres of warhorses long since passed. They sought to head the men off before they reached their camp at the city's edge while Max took point for the gravity defining spire that punctuated the greatness of the rebuilt Valhalla. Across the realm, the moans of the dead and dying could be heard, their mournful lament lingering even after their passing. Such was death in the realm of the unseen. The tower seemed to hold minimal resistance to the young knight and an eerie silence had settled like a veil over the stronghold of those who sought to deny Jade her birthright.

As the men took off to do their jobs, with the racket they were making getting him to smirk. It would more than likely draw the attention of anyone away from the lone knight as he made his way towards the tower. Keeping his eyes on the prize, as he heard the moans of those dying. Which was soon followed by more mournful lament of death as Maximus reached the tower. Killing any and all that remained, before moving out of it once the deed was done. Looking towards where he knew Jade would be watching from.

The tower had held the injured troops that had managed to escape the wrath of the younger goddess's forces and Max found himself faced with the oh so daunting (not) task of finishing the job. From her perch hidden aloft amongst the jagged angles of the city she watched not only the wanton slaughter of those retreating but those within the tower as well, having used her connection with her soulbound knight to see as he saw. A blink of an eye had her reappearing before him, a proud smile worn as she lifted her chin to lock her gaze upon is. "Well done, my knight. Very, very well done." In the distance, the fight raged on though it seemed to be dwindling and as smoke rose from the scene, as black as the chaos she so freely wielded, Jade laughed. Long and loud, a crazed sort of sound.

Upon happening upon the injured troops with some of them begging for mercy, and others trying in vain to flee. Some faced their deaths with as much honor as they could muster, knowing that this beast of a knight wouldn't let any escape. As he attacked without a hint of mercy, knowing that if he failed here. His Goddess would be upset with him, with that connection to her spurring him on. All to make her will come true as well as to once again prove his undying loyalty to her and to her alone. Once she appeared before him, as he was coated in the blood of each and every kill. Only once the fighting was done, did he finally sheath his sword. "Your will has been done, my Goddess." Now bowing faintly to her, before moving to take her side as she started to that crazed laugh.

"Come with me, my love. We've a new domicile to establish." She said suddenly and took his arm firmly and brought him along as she entered the tower. For eons it had been a symbol of hope and peace, of the cycle of life, death, and rebirth, and within it she had just permitted the unrepentant slaughter of multitudes of innocent men. A wave of her hand dispersed the pent up life energy, making a face as the souls of the fallen withered away into wisps of black smoke until they simply ceased to be. Winding through halls and up stairs, she lead him to the top of the tower and to the observation deck that looked out over the whole of Valhalla. The Sea of Chaos lapped at the shore at the perimeter and fires still burned where clashes had gone sour. Her hands pressed to the railing and she exhaled a long breath, tendrils of stark black curling from her lips and disappearing into the atmosphere.

"Lead the way, my love." Murmured back to her as he turned as she grabbed his arm. With little to no resistance on his part as she lead him back into the very tower he had just won for her. With each step taken starting to make the bond betwern them even stronger, as well as causing all that they had done to come together. Now looking around as the life slowly faded from the tower, with a slight smirk crossing his lips, as he followed her up to the top of the tower.

A sharp cry signaled the last to die on the battlefields below and simultaneously all eyes turned to the woman at the top of the tower. Even those who couldn't see her from their vantage point found themselves compelled to look her way and this pleased her rather deeply. And when she spoke, her words rang out of the entirety of the realm, echoing in the far reaches and filling every living ear.

"Comrades! Champions! Men and women alike! You stand before me on this momentous day among your brothers and sisters in arms to bear witness to the rise of a new era. We live not in a world of pacifism and natural order, no! Each and every one of you knows in the deepest parts of your hearts and souls that there is but one way to salvation and that is through Chaos. Now I stand before you with the solemn oath that I shall fulfill this destiny and until my last dying breath, I will defend you and yours. I, your Queen of Chaos." With her words came the raucous cheers of fanatical servants and one by one they bowed. This delighted her so, and the grin upon her pale lips grew doubly as she stepped back from the railing to address Maximus in more private tones, meant for his ears only. "And you, you my love bow no longer. My eternal champion bows to none so long as he is at my side. I owe you everything for this, Maximus."

When she stepped out to where she could be seen. He moved up to stand behind her, while her words were one that would protect those that served them. His mere glance down to them read a different and harsh truth. Any that now served them would be killed should they even breath the notion to turn on Jade. Before he stepped back when she done so, and looked to her. "And I shall always remain at your side, my love and my Goddess. I will forever be your champion that protects you from all that wishes to harm you, or try to take what is rightfully your's."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[August 17th, 2014]

Darkmere slowly stepped out of one of the shadowed corners of the inn, as a stoic gaze started to sweep over the commons of the famed inn. No real change on his expression or in those golden eyes, as a slow calculated walk was started towards the bar. In no hurry to reach it.

A shoulder met the alleyway door with a rough shove and an even more unceremonious slam behind her. Rather irritated, Jade muttered under her breath and stepped further into the Inn, rolling her shoulders, brushing her hands back through the untameable lions mane of midnight black and turned her path toward the bar. Her progression came to a halt as she spotted a source of familiarity, violets pinning Darkmere and staying there. Her steps no longer tapped against wood under foot. This was unforeseen.

Eventually reaching the bar as no greetings had been offered and at the moment, appeared none would come from him as he moved behind the bar. Moving to grab a bottle and a glass, before filling the contents with the dark liquid withing the bottle. The former placed back on the shelf and with glass in had, he moved out from behind the bar. Gaze coming to a stop finally on the that had come to a stop. Just staring at the young woman from over the rim of the glass.

Her lips pursed, her eyes narrowed, and she stayed rooted to that very spot. A veritable whirlwind of conflict was roiling behind her gaze as evidenced by the tick of her fingertips near her hips, unsure of how to proceed. Different time line, perhaps he wouldn't catch on. Suppressing the ingrained urge to bow to the man, she squared her shoulders, lifted her chin and continued on her way to the bar.

Not even a blink as he watched the young woman that had a conflict about his mere presence, as the glass was eventually lifted for a long slow sip. Gold eyes watching the various small movements, before lowering the glass with him finally breaking that silence. "Hello Granddaughter." Said with ease as he watched and waited.

**** . Caught. She tensed and paused, swiveling a slow look toward Darkmere. That wasn't supposed to have happened. Grinding her teeth, she relaxed her hands, crossed her ankles and swept into a polite curtsy. "Grandfather. How'd you... know?" Straightening up, she stopped at the bar rather than going behind for a drink.

Still no change of his expression or stance as the glass was lowered to the counter top. Even if he found the reaction from Jade amusing, though his brow might have rose to the curtsy. "You have Zack's blood, young one." Rather bluntly telling her what tipped him off. "Your name?"

She resisted the urge to shift uncomfortably, caught between familial respect and a need to assert herself. Her ire was thinly veiled behind stormy eyes and a tight jawline but she managed a terse response just the same. "I see. I am Jade Rose Alcar. And you are correct."

"Relax." To Jade to seeing her seemingly wanting to shift, as he continued that unblinking stare. Taking in everything around him as he kept his focus for the time being on the young woman. When she gave her name, there was no real reaction to it. "I do recall him mentioning something about this." Then a motion of a hand towards the drinks before picking his own up. "If you wish to speak. We may, granddaughter."

She could definitely use a drink. There were others behind the bar but she was quick about her slide through the break. Scotch was the drink of choice, a sealed bottle pulled from the rack and brought with her back to the patron side of the bar. She glanced aside to a glimmer of fangs, her tilted before she returned her gaze to Darkmere. "Hmm. What else has he said of this?"

While Jade moved to grab her drink, there was a slide of eyes towards the hint of fangs at the mention of Zack's name. Not a word nor a movement made, just a rather voidless stare before looking back to the young woman again. Glass lifted for another sip. "He mentioned that two children of his were in town from an alternate time line. A boy and a girl." Pausing there for the moment.

"Yes, of course." She rolled a wrist, her fingers fluttering before she broke the seal and uncapped the bottle. "That would have been myself and Gabriel. My... brother." She said the last word with a crinkle of her nose and a hint of a sneer. "I've moved onto better things however." She shrugged and took a dainty sip from the scotch.

Once again keeping his focus on Jade as she spoke as he lowered the glass again. With a slight smirk for a moment, which was very fleeting to the names given. Already his mind had pieced together to an extent what time line they could be from, as he noted the sneer at the mention of her brother's name. "You walk the path of darkness and chaos now." Again in a blunt tone.

She folded one arm over her chest and held back an eyeroll. Dark lashes fluttered over vibrant eyes before settling on the king again. "No, no, I've walked it and reached the end. And really, it's not so much darkness as it is enlightenment. Chaos is mine now though, we are one and the same." She shrugged once and took another drink, longer this time.

Which was probably a rather wise move on Jade's part, with those golden eyes never leaving her for long. Another fleeting quirk of the brow, before another sip was taken. "Many have walked that path. Most never come back from it and lose themselves." Pausing for a moment as he finally move to make his way down the bar to her, with a lean down towards her. "Hmm."

"It is different this time for I was lost before. I have found my rightful place. My home. My people. It is all mine at last so what is there to go back to?" She tilted her head as he neared, a thin brow perking as she slowly leaned back at much the same time he leaned in. "What?"

Most people would have blinked by now, yet that unblinking stare from him continued. Even as Jade explained herself in her own words, as that stoic expression remained firmly in placed. "So you say." Not yet leaning back even as she leaned away from him. "If that is your rightful place. Then why do you seem to be wary of me?"

"Because you align with them." She spat the last word, her lip curling with contempt. A quick swig of scotch washed the taste of her words from her mouth and left behind a pleasant burn as the liquor settled in her stomach. She would burn it all, if only she could.

His brow slowly rose to that, before he leaned back enough to drain the rest of the glass and set it to the side. "Them." Glancing off to the side for a moment. "Which them?" Slowly turning his gaze back to her as there was still no movement following or change in his posture.

Reflexively, a new glass was procured and set out, then filled with the amber liquid from her own bottle. Offered out to him with a nudge that sent little ripples through the scotch, she looked between it and Nosgoth's king, a tilt to her head and a quirk to her brow. "Do you not? Your own family?"

Paying no attention to her getting a new glass, or to her refilling it or offering him one. "Interesting that you would bring that up, as the family that you know in your time has been torn apart here." Still no change in him, as if he was barren of any feelings now. "As for you?" Now a dark laugh and he leaned back. "Do you really have the resolve to remain in the darkness? To bear the suffering that it causes?"

"I do not mean on an Alliance wide level." There was the eyeroll, defiant and annoyed. Her gaze narrowed on him even if his questions caused a faint wavering of her confidence. The facade slid back into place just as quickly as it had broken and she gave him a resolute nod. "Suffering wrought is brought upon those that deserve it. Those that bring it upon themselves. There can be no sympathy. It's nothing personal after all. I am simply a... conduit for retribution long overdue."

That dark laugh continued even as she mentioned that didn't include the Alliance on her end, as he had caught the eye roll. Almost as the man was going mad now, before suddenly he reacted to everything, with a hand snapping out to grip the front of Jade's shirt. And lifted her up to near stand on that stool she was on and looked her dead in the eyes. "You know nothing of suffering." Rather coldly as Jade would watch as his eyes shifted to a voidless black now, allowing her to see the very suffering she had wrought herself and with the grip on her shirt. A dark smirk crossed his lips, as it started to be channeled back into her. Letting her feel it all herself. Every little bit.

Soon Shadow's wings shuffled as the dragon stepped closer.

She glared at him for laughing at her. How dare he mock her?! The grab of her shirt brought about a sharp gasp and a dropping of the scotch bottle. Glass shattered against wood and amber liquid seeped into the floorboards. What a waste. Her hands clasped around his wrist, fingers trying to pry his grip away even as he lofted her like a ragdoll. "No, no, no..." She murmured frantically, oblivious to everyone except him. And the pain shooting through her body. Her fingers and toes curled, metallic claws forming at the ends of thin fingertips to press against flesh. It hurt. It hurt so terribly bad she thought she would very well be better off dead. The screaming, didn't anyone hear the screaming that filled her ears? Purple-black tendrils seeped from her palms, winding around her and seeking to extract her from his grasp as she violently shook her head at him. "No...Make them stop. Make them stop screaming. Please...MAKE THEM STOP!"

"You should do as she asks... Brother." Spoke Shadow.

Keeping his grip of his granddaughter's shirt as he continued to channel the suffering and pain she had wrought into her, watching as that false resolve from before finally shattered. As well as taking note of the purple-black tendrils started to appear and wrap around her. "This is what will eventually happen in the end if you continue down this path, young one. Eventually this will catch up to you, and become part of who you are." A brief glance to the side for a moment. "Stay out of this if you value your lives. This is Alcar business. It involves no one here." Rather harshly, before looking back to Jade again. Slowly the pain, suffering and screams that she was seeing and feeling stopped. If she kept that gaze on his own. She'd now see specks of what appeared to be green floating in her grandfather's own eyes. "For I know that path all to well, as I have traveled down it and it still affects me to this very day."

"It is family business." A rumble, wings shuffling again. "Or did ye forget?"

What have I done... what have I done. Her feet dangled limply but her fingers kept hold of his wrist, knuckles white from how hard she pressed. Her shoulders dropped as the mournful cries subsided and her head became quiet once more. Cheeks already pale somehow had gone ghost white as she came to grips with facing the ghosts of her past thanks to someone she called family. Barely able to focus on him, consciousness was quickly slipping from her grasp. There indeed was retribution to be had, but had she gone about it all wrong? Was she so arrogant as to believe that this was her place. She meekly looked to her grandfather before her chin dipped and her head bowed. A swallow offered her no relief from the dryness in her mouth but finally she managed to part her lips and speak again. "No more..."

Continuing to watch Jade as he held that grip of her shirt, waiting for the moment of realization to strike her hard. Once that very moment set in, his eyes slowly shifted to that golden color again. Not yet saying another word as he shifted to draw her in to allow her to cling to him if she now wished to do so. "This is a path that I want none in my family to have to walk, young one." Murmured to her as he held her much like a grandfather would hold his grandchild, even going as far as to pat the back of her head. "I advise you to turn from this path before it is to late, before it consumes you and destroys you." Finally allowing some kindness to come through after making the young woman face her own demons.

Clarity earned was short lived and she shook her head as he drew her in. "No..." Quietly, her soft tone muffled by his chest as he took a moment to hug her. Her hands balled up into fists and she brought them up to shove against him hard enough to slip free. "It's too late for that..." Brokenly spoken, the sadness in her voice was palpable as she stepped back, heels splashing in and crunching over the remnants of her scotch. Another shake of her head and she stumbled backwards, pivoting and making a break for the back door. She had to get away from here, this nasty city and this filthy realm.

He would hold her for as long as she would allow it, before she started to push with him letting her slip free. Watching her more so now than before, with a brow quirking at her words. "There is still time for you, Jade. But you will have to find the reason on your own." No move was made to stop the girl from heading for the back door. "Look for that reason and hold on to it tightly." His last words to her before he moved to clean the mess left behind up.

[[Thank you to Darkmere Alcar and Shadow Kidd Shimmerscale for the completely impromptu but awesomely productive scene!]]
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[??? AF, 000 AR]

She sprawled out on the lounge chair watching the otters play in the pool she had constructed in the rotunda of the tower's highest floor. Her gaze occasionally lifted to look out across the view afforded of the realm, a bit of a frown settled on her face. She was draped in a white gown, flowing and airy, utterly contrasting with the dark fixtures and decor of the tower and the realm in general. She looked every part of the goddess. In a bored tone she called out, "Maximus? Are you near?"

While she was sprawled out in her lounge chair at the highest point. Max had slipped off to go for a walk through the tower, with a slight smirk to the rather dark decor that had been put up since they claimed the realm as their own. Just now making his way back up, when she called out to him as he was wearing the very armor she had crafted for him. Looking every part of the champion that he was. "Bored, my goddess?" Knowing that tone as he glanced to the two otters as they played in the pool as he started towards her.

She looked him over slowly as he approached, gaze roaming over the contours of his armor. "Yes..." She dragged the word out, gaze falling to the otters she quite liked so much before lifting back up to him. "Very bored. Do you wish to entertain me?" She arched a brow and leaned back on the lounge chair.

Another thin smirk to her looking him over as he looked her over in her lounge, before looking to the otters again. "And what do you wish for me to do to entertain you?" Finally coming to a stop at the chair, but didn't block her view of the otters.

"I don't know?" She said with a shrug, once more taking a moment to look him over. "I should make you wear something else around the tower." She teased, even though they both knew that would never happen. Too dangerous. "Maybe a little man skirt and I can have you feed me grapes while I sprawl out across you."

Still wearing that faint smirk as he looked to the otters again. "Perhaps so." Looking back to her as he snapped his fingers, allowing the armor to fade into something far more fitting her king. "Perhaps this will work." Murmured to her again as he held out a hand for her to take it.

She smirked as he so easily made the change from one outfit to another, finding it rather amusing that he used to be so adverse to magic until he met her. "Mmm, you clean up nicely." She purred softly, reaching out to take his hand.

He smirked back at her as he noted her smirking at him. Recalling the days when he had such a fear of magic, now it was just as much a part of him as she was. "As I should if I am your king." Murmured as he aimed to get her to move to her feet once she took his hand.

"The King of Chaos has a special little ring to it..." She smirked darkly, rising to her feet once he took her hand. Looking up at him, her expression softened a bit, enjoying the way the twilight filtered through the windows and fell upon his skin. "You know...some would say you can't be my king unless we...wed..."

"Yes it does, My Queen of Chaos." Matching her smirk as she rose to her feet, before lifting her hand up to kiss the top of it. All the will keeping his eyes, with his brows rising a touch to her words. "Is that something that you would want?" Slowly leaning back from her.

"That also has a ring to it." She smiled a bit as he lifted her hand and kissed it. Biting at her lip a bit, she gave him a gentle smile, something far more suiting their more innocent days. Where hesitation might have reigned supreme previously instead she seemed to be considering that. Lifting her chin to look up at him more, she tilted her head. "There is little I care for in any realm remaining but you have remained my steadfast partner...and I love you with whatever is left of my heart...."

"Yes it does." A light smile back to her as he slowly shifted to sit down in that lounge chair now. Taking note that she had a moment of their more innocent days, as he had moments of his own from time to time. Now looking her over again as he continued to hold her hand. "And I shall always remain your steadfast partner, and I love you with what is left of mine." Looking from her to his lap then back again. "For you are that."

She watched as he sat down on her seat, her hand staying in his as he looked her over. Her head tilted and she gave him an almost loving look before slowly lowering herself down to straddle his lap, hiking up her gown in the process. Facing him, she snaked her arms around the back of his neck. "So if that meant...doing all of that with you, I would do so happily..."

Continuing to look her over with him giving her a loving look in return, before shifting to move his hands first to her hips, then around to the small of her back when she straddled his lap. Looking back into her eyes as she laced her arms around his neck. "As would I." Murmured back to her, as he drew her in closer.

She leaned in against him as he moved his hands over her hips then around to her back, her torso pressed to his gently as she leaned to press a gentle kiss to his forehead. "The rest of the world can burn...so long as I have you, naught else matters."

Resting his forehead against her own when she leaned into him, with his hands move his hands along her back and sides. Following with a kiss to her chin. "If that is your wish, Jade. To have me by your side and nothing else." Murmured. "Then you shall always have me, as I wish for nothing else but you."

She lowered her chin and instead brushed her lips over his, gently and tenderly. A soft purr humming on her lips as his hands ran over the curves of her body. "So...what'll it be then?" She asked softly, her lips moving against his as her eyes slowly closed.

Tiling his head to brush his lips back against her own in a soft and tender motion. With a low growl coming from him, as his hands continued to move along her body. Slowly closing his eyes as well for a moment. "Then it shall be so." Murmured to her.

She bit her lip a bit, sighed softly and leaned back. Eyes reopening, she tilted her head and looked at him. Ever mercurial, she shook her head and pulled away from him to rise to her feet (or at least try). "Nevermind, Maximus. We go in circles with words, it matters not."

Yet he shifted to catch her before she could pull away. "Goddess Jade." Murmured to her as she might not want to fight him on pulling free. "Will you be my Goddess of Chaos, and rule the Unseen Realm as my queen and equal?" Murmured to her as he looked her into the eyes.

She leaned back and peered at him, a brow arching. "I am already your Goddess of Chaos and I already rule the Unseen Realm as Queen." A hint of bitter harshness to her tone. But she didn't pull away further, instead giving him a few moments in the event he wanted to speak.

Smirking slowly at her as he moved a hand up to catch her chin and pull her in for a sudden kiss. "Then will you marry me?" Murmured as he leaned back from her, watching her as he waited for her reaction. Seeing that he had just asked her to become his wife.

She growled at the grab of her chin, almost leaning back into he pulled her in to kiss her. Roughly kissing him back, she exhaled softly as he leaned back. His question, though somewhat expected, still made her heart jump into her throat. Her eyes went wide and she stared at him for a few long moments before closing the distance between them to capture his lips with hers, a deep and tongue tangling kiss hopefully answering his question for her.

He growled back at her when she made an attempt to pull away, followed with another growl to the rough kiss. With him smirking at her to her just staring at him when he asked that question, before shifting to wrap his arms around her again. Matching her kiss with his own heated one, with a low growl to her answer.

Her arms slid back around him again, her mouth pressed hard to his as they passionately kissed like a pair of lovestruck teenagers. Oh wait...that's sort of what they were underneath it all. Finally she thought to let him up to breathe and pulled her lips away slowly. "Yes."

His hands started to move along her back again, as well as along her sides with them kissing like two teenagers. Slowly taking a breath when she broke the kiss. "When do you wish to wed and where?" Murmured back to her as for a moment his eyes showed all the love he held for her, before starting to fade back into the chaos within.

Though the deep shade of violet remained in her irises, the look she gave him spoke of nothing but the love and affection she felt for him. "The when and the where matter little in the grand scheme of things. We have all the time in the world, don't we?" She asked softly, brushing her lips to his again even as she watched the wave of chaos overtake him once more. Her touches and caresses more than likely lighter and more delicate than he might have liked.

Catching that look of love and affection in her eyes, with a tilt of his head to her words. "Yes we do my goddess." Murmured as he brushed his lips back against her own, with his touches becoming softer. Followed with soft tender kisses to her lips, as it seemed her softer touches were starting to slow draw out that young man she fell in love with.

Purring softly as their lips moved against one another, her nails gently traced along his shoulders and back, then up the back of his neck and into his hair. For a moment or two, her fingers tensed against his flesh and she growled against his lips before relaxing and settling against his lap with those soft touches from the carefree young man she loved.

Growling softly back at her as they continued to kiss, with his hands continuing to move along her back, hips and sides. With a nip at her lips for a brief moment to her fingers tensing against him, before slowly being the one to break the kiss this time and resting his brow against her own.

She exhaled and sought to catch her breath as he broke the kiss and rested his brow to hers. Closing her eyes softly, a small smile curved her lips and she sighed quietly. "Had you asked me a few month ago, I would have thought you were crazy..."

Letting his eyes slowly open as he looked at her even as she had her eyes closed, and still running his hands along her back and side. Before a small smile crossed his lips. "Perhaps so, my goddess. Yet here we are now, happy and wishing to spend all our time with the other."

She giggled softly, shivering as his hands ran along her back and side. "Not what I meant. I mean I didn't expect you to ask me that. Not that I don't want to spend time with you." Sighing softly as she nuzzled noses with him.

He lightly kissed the tip of her nose as she started to giggle. "I was waiting for the right time to ask you." Murmured honestly to her before nuzzling noses with her in return, followed with him drawing her in close.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[??? AF, 000 AR]

"This won't do...this won't do at all..." The low murmur sounded from some desolate corner of the realm. Tucked in the shadows, the one who had deemed himself the Puppet Master of this whole operation fretted over the sight of the two young lovers making rather unfortunate plans on the upper most level of the jagged spire that dominated the skyline. The disc hovering before him gave him an inverted view of the rotunda with the decadent display set up within. The teenaged demi-goddess had supposedly been the perfect pick, they had said. Of course they hadn't accounted for the young man that seemed to accompany her everywhere.

She had been their prime choice. Demure. Soft-spoken. Self-conscious. Vulnerable. Weak. The exact opposite of her mother or her father or her elder brother. Ripe for picking.

It became a matter of getting her alone which was no easy task. Seldom did the realm's reigning goddess permit her children to enter the realm alone. Not without heavy protection from one or both of their parents. The Alcar children had been untouchable. Until now. Jade had made the slightest mistake of sneaking into the Unseen with the goal of knighting the young dragon slayer. Such an odd pair, they were. It was almost heart warming when the ritual was completed and he was bound to her. That is until he exacted a relentless slaughter of a fair number of the Crusaders' forces. He had even brutally slain Tehmet al'Rin, the force's top commander. This left his younger brother in charge and said younger brother was none too pleased at the influence this "Maximus" held over his pawn.

"We must resolve this, Shade." Sekhmet al'Rin said to the wraith like man at his flank.

"How, m'lord?" The man wheezed out the question past cracked lips. The bags under his bloodshot eyes made him resemble a forlorn basset hound, and Sekhmet sneered, shaking the image from his mind and resisting the urge to berate the fragile man. Sekhmet inhaled through his nose and out through his mouth, lips pursing with the exhale.

"The mission cannot be compromised or sidetracked by any...distractions. If he seeks to distract her from the end game, then we first drive them apart. If they do not part, then we eliminate the threat. Do you understand where I am going with this?" Tersely asked, his slate grey eyes falling on the man once more.

"Yes sir. I will make the appropriate adjustments." Shade bowed his head and shuffled backwards away from his commander, slipping back into the depths of the shadows to do as he was told. Sekhmet returned his attention to the floating disc and the image within. What a reversal he had seen in the young woman. From the shy and nervous teenager to the commanding and power hungry ruler that sat intertwined in her lover's arms in the seemingly private abode. One claimed at the cost of dozens of lives, souls that now lingered within the Sea of Chaos, the lapping waves echoing with the cries of the dead.

A small price to pay for such a powerful pawn.

"Let her think herself Queen. We will correct that when the time is right." He may have been speaking to himself alone at that point but his words still carried heavy implications for the unaware pair in the tower. They would learn. The hard way of course, but they would learn all the same.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

October 15th, Rhy'Din Time

[??? AF, 000 AR]

Max was going through the troops just to keep them sharp, for those just in case moments. As he was rather ruthless in the training, before moving back into the tower and making his way through it. Gaze sweeping around for where Jade had gotten of too, though a smirk crossed his lips as he did enjoy hunting for her.

For once she was not hard to find. She sat in the highest room of the tower, completely alone save for the otters that randomly skittered across the room. Jade wasn't paying attention to them though, no, she sat on the edge of the chaise lounge she liked to use to look out over her realm, her elbows to her knees and her head in her hands. A veil of raven black hair fell around her, her long tresses obscuring her face. There was a slight tremble to her shoulders that she couldn't stop no matter how hard she tried, only halfway vaguely aware of his presence approaching.

Having tracked her down to the highest point of the tower, as he glanced to the otters as they ran around for a moment. Only for his gaze to focus on his goal, as his brow rose to that slight tremble, and wasted no time in moving in her direction. "Hello my beloved goddess." Murmured to fully announce his presence, as he seemed to be more calmer now when he was in her presence.

The otters heard him approach and went scattering, hiding under the dresser of the room, soft little squeaks slowly quieting down as he entered the room. She seemed to be concentrating on breathing slowly and calming herself even though she jumped slightly as she heard his voice. Ever so slowly, she lifted her head and pushed her hair back out of her face. Her eyes over the days had become a deep electric purple and as she looked up at him, there was a mix of confusion and anger in her gaze as if she wasn't quite sure if she should trust him.

His brow rose a bit further to the reaction from the otters, but it was Jade's look that caused him to slowly come to a stop. Just staring at her for a moment, before slowly moving closer to lower to a knee in front of her. One hand coming up to try and catch her by the chin if she allowed him to do so. "What is wrong my goddess? You look troubled." Murmured softly to her. As he lowered to a knee in front of her, she watched him cautiously, holding rather still. That is until his hand came up to try and catch her by the chin. That was when she moved, striking out with an open hand to knock his away, tumbling backwards on the chaise to pop up to her feet on the opposite side so the lounge chair was between them. Not saying anything just yet while still giving him that rather distrustful look.

That caught him off guard for a moment, as he moved to his feet when she knocked his hand away, now watching her carefully. "I can not help you if you do not tell me what is wrong, Jade." Murmured as he started to slowly move around the lounge chair towards her. "Remember. I swore myself to you and no other." Murmured softly.

"No... don't tell me your lies." She pointed a finger at him, tracing around the opposite side of the lounge chair as he came around. Her brows knitted with consternation and she made sure to keep that chair between them at all times. "You're going to betray me... that's why you spend so much time with them... turning them against me, making them loyal to you rather than me..." There was a crackle of energy around her pointing finger.

"I am not lying, my goddess." Continuing to move towards her and around that chair. Eyes staying upon her own, before a low growl came from his lips, as one hand gripped on end of the chair. In the next moment, the lounge chair went sailing across the room to slam into the wall. "I am not going to betray you, Jade." Now moving towards her even as there was a cackle of energy around her pointing finger. "I am keeping them in shape and loyal to you, so they will be useful to your goals."

She jumped backwards as he sent the lounge chair flying and the otters went running out from under the dresser and out of the room, squeaking all the way. The swirls of electrical chaos spread outward from her finger as she backed up from him, creating a spiderweb like pattern around her, cloaking her in its embrace. "NO! STOP YOUR LIES! I... I... I JUST KNOW IT. THEY TOLD ME OF YOUR BETRAYAL!" She shouted at him, her voice echoing all around them.

He continued towards her as his brows rose to her words and to her creating spiderweb like shield that cloaked her. "Look deep inside, Jade. My beloved goddess, my queen and my soulmate." Continuing towards her. "Look deep into who you are and you will find the truth about me."

Backing up until her shoulders met the wall, she violently shook her head back and forth, her hands coming up to clamp over her ears. "NO! LIAR!" Her shoulders shook with barely contained sobs, her head still shaking back and forth. "They said... they said you..." There seemed to be some massive internal conflict occurring, torn between believing him and believing the whispers that constantly tickled her ears. "JUST SHUT UP ALL OF YOU!"

Continuing towards her letting her see that he would not be pushed away. "I have never lied to you, Jade." Murmured softly as he again attempted to move a hand up to catch her chin. Aiming to make her look up into his eyes as she covered her ears with her hands. As his eyes slowly started to fade back to that young man she had fallen so hard for, as well as letting her see that had never changed and wouldn't change. That nothing could break that bond that they shared, nor the love that they shared together.

Again as he reached for her chin, she smacked at his hand then went back to covering her ears. "Shut up, just shut up! Lying... dragon slaying... traitor!" The words came to her difficultly and as they breached her lips, she seemed to regret them instantly. "Max..." She gasped his name, the Chaotic energy swirling about her flickering like a flame caught in the wind. "Make it...stop..." She pleaded, her eyes going wide, a swirling mix of amethyst and aquamarine manifesting the battle within her.

Even as she smacked one hand away, his other came up to take it's place in reaching for her chin. "I haven't even hunted another dragon since I have been with you." Murmured softly to remind her of that fact, before finally catching her chin. "Focus on us. Focus on what we are together, Jade." Murmured softly and tenderly to her. "No one holds any sway over us when we stand together. United as one."

She shook her head again even as he gripped her chin, shuddering and swaying unsteadily on her feet. Her hands snapped out to catch the front of his shirt as if he were the only thing anchoring her to the floor. Her very being quivered with anxious energy and her breaths came in short bursts. "Max...I...I can't..." She shook her head again, lashes fluttering over her eyes. "My head is too full..."

His other hand moved to her side, then around to pull her away from the wall and to being pressed up against him the moment she reached out for him. "Yes you can, Jade." Murmured down to her, as his hand moved to rub against her back in a soothing comforting way. "They hold no sway over you, and if they try to do so." His eyes suddenly flashed back to that of her unwavering champion and lover. "Then they will suffer my wrath for daring to think that they can control you."

Jade tried her damnedest to pull away from him, torn between collapsing against him and yanking away. "I can't." She whimpered, gasping in a breath, her legs feeling like jello as he held her. "I must... complete my task..." She exhaled the words on a tightly held breath and her hands clenched the front of his shirt until her knuckles turned white.

Max continued to keep her in tight against his frame, not about to let her go. "Yes you can." Murmured down to her again as he shifted to lightly allow his other hand to start caressing her hair. "Focus Jade." Murmured as he tried to use that bond they shared to see if he might be able to see whom was daring to try to control her. Or at least see if their bond allowed him to find out anything at all.

It was like static in her head, an impossibly loud din that drowned out everything. Here and there whispers could be found, things that spread doubt into every inch of her being, distrust in all those she held near and dear, thoughts of isolation and the requirement that she must be the one to do it all and that her sacrifice would be handsomely rewarded once the task was complete. But who it was that was doing this, that wasn't clear. Instead, the further he tried to test that bond to find out more, the weaker she got in his grasp.

Growling low to what little he could find at the moment, before slowly easing back on their connection. Making a mental note to end whoever it was that was harming his queen, before looking down at her again. "Jade. Look up at me." Murmured softly down to her, hoping to get her to focus and try to drown out those voices in her head, trying to harm her and get her to surrender.

Her shoulders slumped and her head tilted forward until her brow rested to his chest and for a moment she seemed far more fragile than the fierce warrior goddess she had been for so long. "Make it stop..." She pleaded again in a soft voice, her tone barely above a breathy whisper. "I can't do it..."

He shifted to scoop her up in his arms, as he noted that she seemed so fragile now and moved to carry her towards the throne that was up there. "Do you know where these voices are coming from?" Whispered down to her. "If you can tell me that, then I shall make them stop as well as suffer, my love."

She shook her head weakly as he scooped her up and carried her, all of the fight gone from her. Already pale skin was even whiter to the point it was nearly translucent. "Everywhere... nowhere... all around and not at all..." She murmured cryptically. "Please... kill me now. Make it stop. I don't want to hurt anymore..."

"I will not kill you, Jade." Murmured softly to her as she shifted to sit down and lower her to sit sideways in his lap, then shifted to lift her eyes to his own. "I will kill those doing this to you." Murmured softly as he tried to lift her up a bit to press a kiss to her lips.

"Please... please Maximus, you have to do this. If you don't... they will use me... and they will kill many more than just me..." She murmured desperately. Her skin was hot to the touch, beyond the point of feverish and she shifted uncomfortably in his grasp, pulling her warm lips from his. "You can't..."

"No, Jade. I will not kill you, for that would be betraying you and your trust in me." Murmured to her again, as he made sure to keep her in his grasp. "I won't let you be used by them. I swear to you as I always have." Another murmur as he again tried to lift her up for a kiss.

She wiggled and squirmed, still trying to pull away from him but none of the strength from before was there. Lifting her tired gaze to meet his, her irises were a deep shade of aquamarine and she leveled an earnest look upon him. "Max, promise me... if they do... that you won't let me destroy it all... I would rather die than let them have it..." She murmured against his lips.

He continued to fight her as she tried to get away, not allowing her to break away from him. Slowly looking into her eyes as he sighed softly against her lips. "They won't, Jade." Murmured softly to her again. "And you already know that I would stand beside you." Another soft murmur.

She pressed her brow to his, sighing softly in return. "They will. They won't stop until it is their's. Even if they have to use me..." She murmured, her eyes closing for a long moment. When they reopened, the purple had returned and she narrowed her gaze at him, her entire demeanor shifting within seconds. "You'll be my downfall, it is foretold."

He pressed his brow against her own. "Then they will face me, and learn that this is not their's for the taking." Murmured back to her as he closed his eyes as well, before opening his eyes at her words. "You are wrong, my goddess. I am your salvation." Murmured back to her. "Their words are the true lies."

She shook her head gently, a smile and sad smile coming to her lips. "No... I know it to be true..." She murmured softly and closed her eyes for a moment, setting her brow to his. "Who am I to deny fate after all?" A soft laugh left her lips, ironic and self deprecating in nature. At last she sighed and shook her head once more, trying to lean back from him. "You should go..."

He shook his head back at her, as he shifted her around to face him now. "It is not true." Murmured back to her as he moved his hands along her sides now. "That is not your fate, Jade." Another soft murmur to her as his hands moved to press against her back to keep her form leaning away. "That I can not do."

She shook her head and sat up straighter as he ran his hands along her sides. Normally such a delicious feeling, it instead set her nerves on edge and she jerked away from him. Her hands planted against his chest and she shoved backwards in an attempt to make him let go. "Just go!"

He shook his head at her yet again, as he shifted to fight her on this. Pulling her in flush against him. "No, Jade." Firmly to her. "Your fate is not to be controlled by these cowards that are hiding. You are far to strong to let anyone control you."

She gave him a sharp look and shoved again, but the downfall of letting him have so much strength and power is that he was a match for her own and her struggle was an exercise in futility. "Just let me go, Max. They don't want you here and if they use me against you, I'll never forgive myself..."

He matched her sharp look with one of his own, as he wrapped his arms around her and trapped her against his chest. "No, Jade." Firmly to her. "My place is by your side, now and always." Murmured tenderly to her. "Trust me. I won't allow them to use you."

Her hands shook as she tried to push against him but as his grasp crushed her against him, she found no leverage and instead was reduced to pointlessly squirming. "Max...just...please...go..." She whimpered the words in the midst of her struggling and she tried her damnedest to wiggle out of his grasp since she couldn't push him. "I can't...I can't do this..."

Yet his grip remained firm in keeping her up against him, as if trying to show her that he wouldn't allow her to slip into darkness and be controlled. "No, Jade. If I leave it would prove them right. So I will stay right here with you." Softly down to her as he tried to rest his brow against her own. "We are in this together."

She shook her head and pulled it backwards. If she couldn't pull away fully, she would at least keep her head back and her face away from his. "Max...Max, please. I'm begging you. Go before I hurt you or worse. I would rather see this entire realm crumble than see you come to harm..." It seems she said the wrong thing for her little puppetmasters and she took in a sharp gasp, her eyes go wide before her expression contorted with pain and she went stiff in his grasp. "Oh gods...make it stop..."

Again he shook his head at her continuing to try and pull away and get him to leave. "No, Jade." Murmured again to her before gripping her hair and pressing a deep kiss to her lips. Aiming to get her to focus on the moment, knowing he had to do something to reach the Jade that was deep inside of her. She whimpered against his lips and tried to pull back. As he pressed the deep kiss to her lips, she crumpled against him and stopped struggling, trembling in his grasp as he held her close and tried to pull her out of the dark. It was like a hand that caught her as she was drowning and slowly she felt like she could breathe again.

Keeping his hand pressed against the back of her head to keep her lips in that dance. Allowing the passion they shared, as well as the love that they shared to pour into it. To try and bring light to her darkness, as well as pull her back into the light once again. Her shoulders dropped and she relaxed, no longer wiggling or squirming or otherwise struggling. Eventually she even kissed him back, slowly and clumsily at first, like it was their first time all over again, but soon she was doing so at the same pace he kissed her. Easing up a bit as she slowly settled in against him and started to kiss him back, he moved her arms up to wrap around his neck. His arms moved back to wrap around her waist, letting her be the one to break that kiss.

She didn't want to break it and she kissed him until she was breathless. "Max..." She murmured softly, shivering against him. Her skin was still hot to the touch, far hotter than her usual chill. "Please..."

He continued the kiss until she broke it and rest his brow against her own. "I've already told you that I am not leaving your side." Whispered to her as he noted the change in how her flesh felt. "Just hold on to me. Draw upon me." Murmured again.

"Please...make me remember..." She murmured, finishing her plea with a feverish shiver against him. "I'm forgetting and I don't want to forget. I don't want to be their pawn..." Her voice got lower and lower as she spoke, closing her eyes as she dipped her chin away from him, exhausted.

"I won't let you forget."
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[November 13th, 2014]

In a halfway amiable mood for once, she made her way down the road toward the tea shop. Head ducked against the falling snow, white was accumulating on the crown of her head, down the mane of black, and across cloak clad shoulders. Pressing a shoulder to the door, she slipped inside amid the telltale ringing of bells and straightened, shaking snow off.

Following a few feet behind as the snow clung to the cloak he wore over his frame, as well as the hood that cover his head. Gaze sweeping around as a memory clicked in the back of his mind to the last time he had been in town when it snowed. Causing a light smile to cross his lips, as a hand snapped out to catch the door and stepped in behind Jade.

With a fluid slip of her hands, she removed her cloak and hung it up near the door. Her gloves were the next to go, tucked away into the cloak's pockets. As Max followed in behind her, she slipped him a smirk and sauntered toward the counter to put in an order. Cocoa was in order on a day like this. And maybe a few treats, the macadamian nut cookies looked fresh. "What is on your mind, Maximus?"

Watching her as he shut the door behind them, before moving to remove his cloak and hang it up as well and smirked back at her just a touch. "Just remembering the last time I was here when it snowed." Murmured to her as he moved to get them a table, and pulled out a chair to sit down. "A certain snowball fight that we had." Watching her yet again.

Once the order was placed, she moved to follow him to the table, hoping he had picked one halfway near the hearth. The fire's warmth would prove beneficial today. His words were slow to register with her as she sat down and she stared at him blankly for a few moments, head tilted. Then it clicked and somewhere from behind the haze that had settled over her subconscious, she drew forth the memory. "Ah, yes. I do believe I thoroughly whooped you too." Smirk.

Tilting his head as he watched her moved towards the table which was near the hearth, before staring back at her as it seemed to take her a moment to remember that memory. Behind those blue eyes there was a faint flicker which lasted mere moments. "I let you win." Smirking back at her, as he looked to the fire for a moment then back to her as her order arrived, and handed over the needed payment.

Two cups of cocoa, one with marshmallows and whipped cream on top, the other with just marshmallows, were set down in front of the pair. A small plate full of cookies was also delivered and the young woman who had brought them out took the payment, smiled, and headed back behind the counter. "Hardly. I handily beat your rear end into submission with my expertly package snowballs." She scoffed teasingly.

Nodding to the young woman as she headed off then lifted the mug of cocoa with just marshmellows up for a sip, while watching Jade from behind the rim. Not saying anything to her claim, before tilting his head at her. "You were hiding in a fort most of the time, and when you came out. I recall pinning you down in the snow." Teased right back.

She tilted her head, watching him for a moment before plucking up a cookie for a nibble. "Hmm...I don't recall..." She said softly, genuinely unsure of the claim he had made. "I'm sure it was a wonderful snow fort..." Nodding gently, she took a larger bite out of the cookie and followed with a cautious sip of whipped cream topped cocoa. "Really, I'm rather amazing in the snow."

He tilted his head slightly. "Hmm. Perhaps we should start getting out more." Murmured softly to her as he plucked up one of the cookies and looked down at it, not yet biting into it. "Yes you are." Pausing to take a bite of the cookie and to sip more cocoa. "When you aren't screaming in your little forts."

She hesitated at that suggestion for a few moments, lips pursed under the guise of blowing a breath of air across the hot liquid in her mug. "Tch. I see no reason to come out where we run the risk of needing to mingle with...others." Her nose crinkled, she shook her head and took a drink, dropping her gaze down into the marshmallows. With his teasing, she shot him a sharp look. "Sometimes the best offense is a good defense."

Watching her from behind the rim of his mug, which hide a slight fleeting frown before he took another sip. "Never said that we would have to mingle with others, merely get out more." Looking down at the marshmellows in his mug now, as he finished off the cookie. "True, but without it you have no chance at beating me in a snowball fight." Another tease.

Her fingers twitched anxiously against the side of her mug, trembling briefly before steadying with a lift of the mug to her lips. "I...I just think that would...be a bad idea...but if you...want to...we can try." She struggled to find the words. Eventually they came though and she exhaled a soft breath into her cocoa before setting it down. "I would disagree with that by leaps and bounds."

Looking up when she started to speak and noted that she was having trouble with getting the words out. "I think it would be good for the both of us." Whispered softly to her as he set his mug to the side, then reached out a hand across the table for her to take. "Perhaps when enough snow has fallen. We can put it to the test."

She hesitated, unsure if she wished to take the offered hand. Eventually though, she nudged her cup aside and slipped her chilled digits into his palm. "It isn't safe, you know. Not for either of us. Not here at least. What is so wrong with Valhalla?" She tipped her head to one side, a tumble of pitch black waves falling over her shoulder.

Slight frown to her hesitation to take his hand, before giving her chilled fingers a light squeeze and started to brush his thumb over them. "Perhaps, but if we stay holed up. It'll send the message that we are scared." Murmured softly to her. "There is nothing wrong with Valhalla." Tilting his head slightly again.

She lifted her chin and scowled. "I do not fear anyone." Speaking up as though offended that anyone would even imply that she was. "I am simply... wary of the motivations of others." A squeak came from her hung up cloak and with a rustling of material, a little otter popped out and wiggled free from the pocket, scampering over to the pair at the table. Jade offered the chittering creature a piece of cookie and then looked back to Max. "Then why is it so terrible to stay there?"

"Then we have no reason to walk around as we please, and you have me as your sworn protector." Murmured again at her as he continued to brush his thumb over her fingers, before glancing to the squeak from her cloak. "Many here have motivations that center around themselves." Now looking to her and the otter. "I never said it was terrible to stay there, Jade."

"Jelly, where is your brother?" She tsk'd at the little otter as it nibbled away at the gifted cookie. Back to Max, she lightly shrugged. "Because I have little control over those here. Should they act out, I am at a loss for how to handle it." She sighed softly and dropped the rest of her cookie for the otter. "It sounds like you're implying such. I am comfortable there."

He chuckled lightly as he watched the otter nibbling on the cookie for a moment, before looking back to Jade. "That is what you have me for, Jade. For those moments." Trying to get her to remember why she appointed him to be her champion and her knight. "I am not. I am merely stating that I like being out in public with you by my side."

Leaning in her seat, she scratched behind the otter's ears and got an annoyed chitter in response. Rolling her eyes at the little animal, she sat up and looked back to Max. Quiet for a few moments, she chewed at her lip and then lifted her mug for a drink. "I...think...I originally did so in order for you to better protect yourself...I feared for you..." She admitted softly, violets down on the table.

Using his free hand to break off a piece of another cookie and held it out towards the otter to come and take it, as he tilted his head slightly. "You also done so because you love me, and because I love you." Another squeeze of her hand as he looked towards her. "And now that you done so to protect me. It is my sworn duty to protect you, as both your champion and your mate."

Jelly sat up on her back legs and eyed Max and the offered cookie suspiciously. Eventually she skittered over to take it and then dashed toward the pillows by hearth, diving in to eat her cookie in peace. Jade rubbed at her eyes with her free hand and sighed softly. "But now that you can protect yourself, you do not need me. And I am the weak one. And some day that will be my downfall. They told me so..."

Another light chuckle as he watched Jelly as the otter took the cookie and bolted for the hearth, before his gaze returned to Jade again. "You are not weak, Jade." Said rather firmly. "I need you just as much as you need me." Another squeeze to her hand. "They are telling you lies to break you down. We made it this far by sticking together, believing in the other and always defending the other." Another soft murmur. "We can't allow anyone to come between us. No one."

She fidgeted with the edge of the table for a few moments before nodding slowly. "If you say so. You should be getting back though... I've still a few things that I need to shop for but I'll be back to the tower before the end of the day, okay?" She gently squeezed his hand again and then released it, pushing back from the table with a scoot of the chair.

Once again watching her for a moment, before nodding softly in return. "I do say so." Murmured softly to her before slowly moving to his feet after squeezing her hand in return. "Very well. Try not to take to long. I do miss you when you are not around." Murmured as he moved around the table to her side, and leaned down with a kiss to her cheek before moving to gather his cloak to head out. "Stay safe, my goddess."

"I shall." She said simply in his wake, rising from her chair. She didn't leave after him though, instead she took her cocoa and wandered toward the hearth, pulling a book from a shelf along the way until she dropped into the cushions somewhere where she wouldn't upset Jelly. It was okay to pretend to be normal for a little while.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[??? AF, 000 AR]

The call drew her away in the blink of an eye, one moment she was there and the next she was gone.

For one so good at disappearing, she had really done it this time. Even the bond between herself and her knight elect couldn't be tapped in order to discern her location. Days bled into nights and though the eternal twilight of the Unseen Realm never changed, time did pass. In leaps and lulls, her absence was noted, by her men, by her family back home, and by the most important one of all, Maximus. There were two, however, to whom her location was not a secret and those two, in their chittery curiosity had easily followed their human master to her odd new home set deep in the realm's darkest Chaos. Their "mama" had changed, even the two little otters could sense the sudden shift in her already typically surly demeanor. She had surely fallen into the abyss at this point and with as much worry as a pair of otters can muster, they scampered out of the dark and into the dusky light, seeking the one person they thought could bring her back, Maximus. Shadow jumping here, Chaos hopping there, they soon found their way back to him and with all the fervor they could manage, tried their best to scale his leg while otter-babbling excitedly.

It had been a routine enough day, full of patrols and training. Only to come back and find her gone, which caused him to nearly tear the place apart, as well as question their men. He would then set out to try and find her. Seemingly no one knew where she was for several days until the two otters were spotted, getting him to blink at how excited they appeared to be. "They couldn't." Murmured as he lowered down to all the pair to climb up on his shoulders, before taking a chance. "You know where she is?" Not that he really understood what they were saying. He didn't speak otter.

Between Peanut Butter and Jelly, it was like a whirlwind of chattery excitement as they climbed all over Max. Here and there, they'd lightly bite at him then jump off and begin running in the direction they had come from, pausing to stop and stare at him before running back to repeat the process all over again. Granted, they couldn't speak Common, they knew they needed to do something to get him to go with them. So they would nip and bite and run until he got the point. Follow them!

Tilting his head as the two ran all over him and chattered up a storm, not at all bothered by it as deep down he got the feeling that they too were just as worried as he was. When they hopped down and took off running, getting him to rise back to his full height and quirked a brow to their stopping and looking at him. It was when they started back towards him that he got the hint of what they wanted. "Lead the way." Murmured to the pair as he moved to follow where ever it was they felt the need to guide him to.

Here and there they had to stop to make sure Max was still following and Jelly even pondered leading Max to the troops to get them to go too. Peanut Butter chittered at his sister and decided against it before continuing on their trek. Little otter legs tired rather quickly and before long they had to slow to a walk but eventually, they made it, coming to a stop on the ridge that overlooked the shadowed valley below. It was there that they stopped in the progression and skittered around Max's legs as if hiding behind him. Jelly clawed at his shin. It seemed they were there.

He kept up with the two otters, not even thinking that he might need the troops or bothering about getting them. All that mattered to him was finding out where they were leading him and hoped that it lead him to Jade. Only coming to a stop when they did and looked down into the shadowy valley, then looked down at the pair. Now lowering down to give them both a little scratch to the top of their heads. "You two head back.. If I do save her. She will be upset with me if you two got hurt. Go home." Softly murmured to what could be called their children. Well kinda.

Typically the otters would have been proud to warrant such praise but the base in the valley was a scary and rather foreboding place so they cowered down against the ground. Quiet chitters were exchanged between the pair and with one last look down the hill, they took off, leaping into the nearest shadow to get as far from there as they could. It left Max alone. Well alone other than the Twilight Sentries that stood guard over the gated entrance, hulking, massive creatures that easily towered over any humans in the area.

Remaining lowered in that crouch as he watched the two otters finally take off for safety, before turning his attention to the task at hand. Looking over the area as best he could, and taking note of what appeared to be just two guards. "Jade. I'll be there for you shortly." Scanning the area again to see if there happened to be another way in, or if he'd have to literally cut a path through multiple bodies like the last time he had to hunt her down.

It seemed the Crusaders had learned from their last encounter with the brash slayer and had beefed up security this time around. The base was compact, much smaller than the one before, and seemed to have only two doors, one in the front and one in the back. The front was heavily guarded and more than likely booby-trapped but the back, that seemed less so, a handful of human looking guards hanging out in a semi-circle and smoking cigarettes. Rifles hung lazily from their shoulders or were propped against the nearby wall, fortified steel like the rest of the building. The outer perimeter of the valley was lined with stone walls topped with wiring that seemed to crackle with chaotic energy. To say that getting in would be a pain would definitely be an understatement.

Growling faintly as it seemed that no matter how he done this, that it would be a pain to get inside before rising to his feet. Nothing ventured. Nothing gained. Taking a deep breath as he slowly aimed to move around, while using the shadows to try and slip around to the back, intent to use that as his point of entrance. Along the way summoning up the very armor that Jade had crafted and bound to him. A wise man would fall back an get help, but he knew that the longer that he waited. The less chance he had of getting her back, as well as saving her from the darkness she now found herself in.

Deep within the building, down four levels below ground, she sat between two men. The one to her left was a skin and bones sort of fellow, wheezy and sallow skinned. To her right was the exact opposite. Sekhmet al'Rin was broadly built and packed with muscle. His skin shone a purple-bronze for reasons few knew and where Shade, the man to the left, sat hunched over in his seat, Sekhmet sat tall, proud posture leaving his towering form to shadow the diminutive girl beside him. The monitors before them provided views of the entire area, both entrances, the perimeter wall, and just beyond, the lone Maximus inching his way around to a more advantageous vantage point. al'Rin's full lips curled into a sneer like grin and he lifted a thick finger to point the blonde man out on the black and white screen to Jade. Her expression didn't change though the violet of her eyes flickered with recognition.

"He has come to try and take you back to them, Jade." Sekhmet purred, his deep voice drawing her in to every word. It seemed to pull Shade in as well and he leaned toward the pair, sunken eyes wide. Jade sat perfectly still, her head just slightly tilted, the only sign of life coming in the form of her barely rising and falling chest. Sekhmet watched her momentarily and then tapped at a headset worn on his right ear. "Permit the slayer entry through the rear. Put up a fight but do not end him. We have a lesson to teach traitors like him."

"Yes... we do..." Jade droned ever so softly, her first words spoken in nearly twenty four hours. Her voice was hoarse with disuse but she didn't bother clearing it since she fell silent once more, watching all the while Max's progress.

Continuing his trek without any idea that he had been spotted or possibly being watched, before he took note of something. More so it just crossed his mind, as he looked back the way he had come from and back to the rear entrance. Debating if he should change his attack plans or go forward with his current plan. A slow smirk crossed his lips as he shifted to double back, and prove just how crazy the person they were dealing with was. As well as the lengths he would go to take Jade from their grasp, as he moved to hit the front gates instead of taking the more defenseless back door. Knock knock!

Sekhmet's brow arched as the young knight doubled back around toward the front, a low growl rumbling in his throat. The sentries were firm in their protection of the base and difficult to persuade otherwise. Shade and Jade both watched as well, feeling the anger rising in the Crusaders' leader.

"Do you wish for me to deal with him?" She asked at last, her voice lacking any hint of emotion. Sekhmet shook his head and leaned forward to swipe at the black and white screen. The sentries lurched into motion, suddenly on the look out for the incoming attack. Behemoth blades that dwarfed even Jade's giant beast sword were held at the ready.

"No. If he wishes to take the hard road then we'll kill him where he stands. Shame, I had been hoping to impress a lesson." He clucked his tongue to the roof of his mouth and sat back to watch.

Doubling back he did do, and smirked fainly to seeing the two guards being set into motion and pondered just how to handle this. Perhaps actually getting some help might be a good idea, yet they would see that coming. "Well." Muttered to himself as he slowly moved just far enough ahead to let himself be seen by the massive sword weilding guards, before slowly drawing his own. Sizing the two up from afar at the moment to see just how dangerous they were.

Each nearly ten feet tall, the Chaos creatures looked like a cross between two legged Egyptian dogs and the Incredible Hulk. Powerful limbs were as thick as tree trunks and a volatile energy swirled around them, capitalizing on their nature as beings of the eternal Chaos that made up the realm. Abyssal eyes looked to and fro for any hint of an impending attack and the human guards had all but disappeared to let the giant beings do their thing. Collateral damage seemed to be no issue for them and once activated as they were, it was only a matter of time before all hell broke loose.

"Great." Muttered as he caught how big the two were and shook his head slightly as he started to make his way forward. Knowing that matching their strength would be suicide, yet perhaps he could use his speed to his advantage, atleast till he could find a way to either slip by or if all else failed. Kill them.

Once he got closer it would become evident that they were only as solid as they wanted to be and a blow could easily pass through with minimal damage given to the beasts. As Maximus made his way forward, they finally spotted him and with a pair of ear splitting roars of rage the pair charged, blades angled in such a way that would surely decimate him if he didn't move. Quick.

Having been taught by Jade to spot such things and he suddenly charged as well, mentally counting down in his head the distance between himself and the charging creatures. Aimming to time his dive to split the two beasts when they attacked, as it was an attempt to cause them to attack the other.

Max must not have know what he was in for and oh how Sekhmet's grin grew as the boy dove out of the way. Rather than turn on each other to attack, they melded and became as one, a hydra-esque two headed creature with four arms and four legs and twice the height. Wielding the same blades as before, the Chaos swirled and coalesced, growing like a storm around them and spawning smaller monsters, each distorted and disfigured, the things of nightmares. And just as quickly as the change occurred, they turned on Max, intent on driving two of the blades down upon him, smaller minions closing in from around the sides.

Probably not as once he came out of the dive and roll. He whirled around to see what had happened, and muttered a curse as he shifted to do what he done best when it came to Jade. Aiming to cut down everything and anything in his path, while shifting and defending when needed to keep himself alive. This was going to be hell...and he was willing to face it. All for her.

Muttering as he took down foe after foe, and took notice in the chaos that it wasn't doing a bit of good. As he glanced for a brief moment towards the door and back towards the massive beast that was bearing down on him now. "Maybe this wasn't a bright idea." Muttered to himself as he knew it would fail, yet as he turned to actually take the beast on. He tried to reach Jade through their connection, in some hope that it would reach her and maybe get her to react.

Not a single shred of response through their connection came and she sat as still as ever, her thumbs twiddling slightly as she watched the futile battle rage on.

"He's not the brightest, is he?" Sekhmet said through a sneer, sitting back in his seat with a shake of his head. "And here I thought the idiot would at least attempt to get inside. Instead he'll die out there, how boring. Oh look," The man pointed at the screen just as the sentry brought the two blades down upon Max for what would surely be a fatal blow, a maniacal grin splitting his lips to reveal too white teeth that were just a bit too sharp to be natural.

~"Maximus."~ It was a single word passed through to her knight, coaxing him toward the door if he would stop and listen. If he didn't, he would surely die.

Another faint hint of a growl as the connection failed again, as he shifted to battle the beast. That was till that faint hint of coaxing reached him, as well as hearing his name. Waiting till the right moment, before bolting to go for the door to get inside, while cutting down any possible roadblocks that might get in his way. He had to reach her, before it was to late.

It was as though the black sea parted before him and a brief glimpse of twilight shone down upon him to guide his way through the bitter howls and snarls of the creatures around him that lurked just beyond in the dark. The door was unlocked and inside, not a single soul could be found. But she was there to guide him at every turn, a simple murmur that would tickle his ear (or so it seemed) that would nudge him in the right direction.

That got his brow to quirk as he noted that someone was trying to guide him into the fort, as well as once he got inside. That same force was aiming to guide him towards her, which he moved to follow the murmurs. Yet he still remained on guard as he followed the directions given to him.

It was eerie how quiet and empty it was, as if everyone had vanished in the blink of an eye. His footsteps echoed around him in an unnatural way and at last, the coaxing sent him to the narrow staircase that would take him to the floors below. Pitch black save for strategically placed wall sconces, it would be tight quarters if he chose to proceed.

Looking around as he shifted slightly as he walked, not at all liking how silent the place was as he moved further and further inside. Coming to a stop at the tight quarters, and sheathed one of his swords and started to carefully make his way even further. Already preparing his mind for what was sure to be the worst of the battles to come once he found and reached Jade. Knowing that those that held her, wouldn't give her up without a fight.

Four floors below, the trio watched Max's progress on the monitors until finally Sekhmet looked to Jade, leaning to whisper a string of quietly derisive comments. His hand ran along her arm in a comforting manner as if to let her know that he was there for her, that he would take care of her. Goosebumps rippled along porcelain flesh, her spine going rigid as she listened. He told her of how Max sought to take her away, to brainwash her and use her to further the dictatorship that ran the realm; her mother. It seemed Sekhmet's plan was finally coming to fruition as Max made it down to the bottom floor far underground and to the final hallway that stood between him and the demi-goddess. Beyond a heavy steel door sat but three people, Jade, Sekhmet and Shade, that and the slowly growing Chaos that seemed to seep from her very being. Purple black, it hung like thick smoke in the air and produced a static like crackle that hummed in their ears.

It was almost time to make her theirs for good.

Continuing to slowly make his way down before coming to a stop before the door, and allowed that darkness that had been bottled up to this point to come forwards. Now stalking towards him to try and open it and get inside before it was to late. "Jade!" Called through the door, again hoping that some part of her would react to his voice, but more importantly to his presence. It had been their connection that had kept them together, and had to be the way to get her to snap out of their control.

It seemed locked at first but the simple mention of her name was enough to unlatch it. It would swing open easily enough but within it seemed too dark to see. The three inside were barely lit by the glow of the monitors. The skeletal man who went by the name of Shade was visibly trembling, evidently terrified by the massive amount of elemental Chaos that surrounded them. The larger man, Sekhmet, bore an uncanny resemblance to a man Max had seen before; the one he had killed to free Jade the night this had all begun. He rose to his feet slowly, grinning from ear to ear. And slowly...he began to clap.

"Very good. Very good. It is so nice of you to join us, boy. Come in! I believe we've much to discuss." He gestured to coax Max into entering further. Between Sekhmet and Shade, Jade sat perfectly still, her head slightly bowed and her slightly tangled hair hanging limp around her face in a wavy curtain that obscured her features.

"Maximus... you should go..." She spoke without lifting her head, the words clipped and curt but holding a lingering tone of regret, as if it hurt to say. "He will not join us, al'Rin. He wouldn't..." A peek of violets slowly lifted his way.

When the door opened at the mention of her name, causing him to growl at the pair that stood beside her. Yet he slowly moved further inside, knowing full well that it would be placing him on their ground. As well as giving them the full advantage, now looking between the two only to focus on Jade. "Let her go, and you will be spared." Was all he said in return to both men, before looking to Jade. "I gave you my vow and my word, My goddess." Murmured to her to try and remind her of everything that he had promised to her.

It was Jade's turn to rise and as she did, she lifted her chin to meet his gaze. Her expression was hard, bearing none of the soft tenderness that was so common in his presence. Her head tilted just slightly and she looked upon him as she might have looked upon any other unremarkable soul in the crowd. Neither man spoke and instead, it was her turn to talk. "Maximus, I give you but one opportunity to join the Crusade. Fight with Us and you will be spared." She used his words briefly before continuing. "Should you choose not to, I will have no choice but to end your life."

His gaze remained on Jade as she moved to her feet, as took notice that she held none of the tenderness that had once been there. Yet he held her gaze as she spoke, not showing how much this was affecting him to have her say such things to him. "You will not end my life, Jade. You are far too strong to let these puppets control you." Nodding faintly to the two men on either side of her.

"Make your decision, Maximus. What do you choose?" She asked, flat out ignoring his attempt at making her think twice on what she was saying or doing. Her voice was flat, lacking any hint of emotion at all and she looked physically drained. At her side, Sekhmet toyed with a little purple crystalline shard worn on a chain around his neck. It just barely caught the light of the monitors in the dim room and when it did so, it was only for a brief moment. Coincidentally, Jade shifted uncomfortably in time with the toying, her weight shifting from foot to foot impatiently.

His brow rose as he caught the movement from Sekhmet and noticed what it was doing to Jade. Already starting to form a plan in his mind, as he slowly started to move forwards. "So." He started as he watched her very closely. "Either I follow them and be with you, or I refuse and you will kill me." Aiming to get closer and closer, hoping that none of them would catch on that he wanted to get within range to lash out and attempt to steal that purple shard from Sekhmet.

"You are correct in your assessment of the offer." She said almost robotically, watching his movements with a curious cant of her head. Shade was slowly inching back from the other two, his internal instincts urging him to run for the hills. Smug looking Sekhmet however lingered where he was, right at Jade's side and half a step back, an ever present shadow over her being. "Now. Make your choice or I will make it for you. Please do not make me do that."

"I see." Looking off to the side as he didn't give the hint that he noticed that Shade appeared to be the smart one. "Allow others to control you...or die." He made it seem that he was pondering over the offer, as he continued forward till he mentally calculated that he was within striking distance. He just prayed mentally that Jade wouldn't move to defend Sekhmet, as he lashed out in a suddenly thrust with the still drawn sword. His other hand swiping out to rip that purple shard from his grasp and around his neck.

Shade was a coward but nobody could be faulted for having self preservation in mind. As Max neared, Jade kept her eyes on him the whole time. She nodded once more. "Yes, you are correct in your assessment of the offer. I give you thirty seconds to ma..." She trailed off as Max struck, taking Sekhmet completely off guard when she did nothing to intervene. The sword did little to penetrate his solid armor but the grab at his throat easily snatched the crystal from his grasp, the chain snapping from the yank. With the motion, the crystal began to splinter, a crack running down the middle of it and with that, Jade let out a pained gasp, falling to her knees, her arms hugging her midsection as she doubled over. The Chaos exploded and the walls and ceiling rumbled, jagged fissures forming all around them. Shade took off leaving a panicked Sekhmet to try and fend Max off.

Hissing as the sword slammed into the armor, but he had gotten the shard and threw it down on the ground as violently as he could. Ignoring for the moment that Shade had ran, before moving to scoop Jade up in his arms as the place started to crumble around them. "Hold on, my goddess." His gaze snapped to Sekhmet, wanting to kill the man where he stood but knew right now. Getting Jade out of the building was more important, as he turned to try and get the hell out of the building as it started to fall.

He wouldn't get a chance to get that far. The moment the crystal shard hit the ground, it shattered completely and the ear splitting scream the little princess let out could have shattered glass. In fact, spider webbed cracks formed in the monitor's screens and soon they turned to static as everything came down around them. As Max reached her, her hand locked around his wrist and rather than rise with him, she yanked him down with her. A large portion of the ceiling, thick cement and solid steel, fell down upon Sekhmet and crushed him to the floor. Her head spun as she fought through the pain that ripped through her and attempted to get Max down as low as possible. There was no way they could make it up four flights of stairs in time and with all she had left, she erected a sturdy guard around them to protect against the proverbial sky falling in upon them.

Going with the tug and shifted to shove her down to the floor, as he moved to shield her with his own body. Catching the feeling of Jade using her energy to create a barrier, and reached deep within himself. Adding his own energy into the shield as well as listening to the place collapsing around them, willing to give his life to make sure that she was safe.

The entire base seemed to be caving in around them and it felt like an eternity passed before the destruction stopped. Soon silence reigned supreme and though the shield held up, Jade was unconscious, her grasp going slack around his wrist. Their pocket of safety let in but the faintest hint of light from above and while the Crusaders seemed to be no more, the implosion had attracted attention from the last person Jade would have wanted there, her family.

"Jade?! Max?! Are you in there? Say something... please..." A familiar voice called, her mother's tone sick with worry. Her father was there too, along with all three of her brothers, the men working at trying to get through the rubble down into the crater that was once the base.

Max continued to keep himself placed over Jade, while he poured his energy into keeping that shield in place. Even when there was nothing but silence around them. "Jade." Murmured down to the now unconscious woman, before just hearing the faint voices calling out to them.

"Hurry up!" Barked another familiar voice as it came from none other that her father as he was right there with her brothers and the other men trying to dig through the pile to reach them.

"We're here!" Max finally called out, knowing that her family was the only way they could get out. He just hoped that they wouldn't see this as his fault.

In the dark of their little safe haven came a violet glow from beneath her tattered and dirty shirt, a similar shade to that of the crystal Max had destroyed. It seemed to permeate through her veins and the flesh of her abdomen, producing an eerie light. She just barely stirred, the only reaction given as one of pain, her face contorting and her back arching. As those above heard Max's call, they worked as quickly as they could, finding it no small feat to dig through that much twisted metal and demolished stone. But soon they reached the pair and Max and Jade found themselves surrounded by the Alcars.

"Oh gods... is she..." Claire couldn't find it in her to finish her sentence as she rushed forward to try and get to the girl. The purple glow flared though and seemed to repel the deity back. "Max... her stomach... Twilight essence... I can't touch her..."

Max kept his gaze down on Jade as she started to stir, as he remained perched over her. Listening to the others as they worked as hard as they could to reach the two youths. As he breathed a soft sigh of relief when everything had been moved. His gaze snapped to Claire and the others for a moment, then back down to Jade.

He nodded to Claire's words. "What do I do?" Murmured as he would follow any order that was given to him as he leaned back to move a hand towards Jade's stomach.

"Maximus, I need to know what happened. What did you see that caused this? It will impact what you have to do." Claire said carefully, her wide eyes on her daughter and the young man beside her. She got as close as she could bear to be, trying to get a read on the young woman. "She's got Twilight's influence fading within her but something is perpetuating it... I just don't know what..."

"They were using a purple shard to control her. This place started to come down on us when I grabbed it and smashed it on the ground." Keeping his eyes on Jade even as he spoke to Claire, worry easily seen on his features and in his eyes.

Zack and her brothers kept back to let Claire take charge, yet couldn't help but watch the pair. Wanting to help but knew that this was all in Max's hands now.

Claire hissed a breath between her teeth, narrowing her eyes upon the pair. "You've been with her through all of this... I imagine your bond has allowed you some amount of... privilege so to speak when it comes Twilight's hold. So listen carefully to me, Max. You must do exactly as I say." Claire took a deep breath then exhaled before continuing. "Place your hand over her abdomen, where the glow is darkest... there just below her ribs where that scar is..." If Max thought back, it was approximately the same location as one of her worse wounds when she had been taken and tortured by the Crusaders so many months ago. "Draw on your bond, call it to you... I imagine we're dealing with a Twilight Shard similar to that which you destroyed. You broke the hold but the other half remains. This... isn't going to be pleasant but you have to do it. Call it to you and when you feel it, you must pull it out."

He nodded lightly to Claire's words, as at the moment he just wanted to save Jade as well for all of this to end. Another light nod as he moved his hand to be placed over the scar, and closed his eyes as he took a deep breath and slowly let it out. Fully drawing upon that bond with Jade, and tried to draw the remaining Twilight Shard from Jade's body.

With the press of his hand over her abdomen, she let out a harsh scream and tried to pull away from him, feeling the sliver of purple crystal within her dislodge, drawn to the pull of his call. She squirmed and writhed, kicking weakly in a futile attempt to get away as she felt it cut a path through her tender flesh until it was just below the surface of her skin, pulsing with violet light just beyond Max's fingertips.

"This will be over soon, my goddess." Whispered down to Jade as she screamed out and tried to pull away from him. Keeping his mind focused on drawing that shard out, as he tried not to let her pain that was flowing through her. Which was coursing through him to distract him, and the moment that it pressed against her skin from the inside, he pressed his fingers into her flesh to pull it free and hurled it away as far as he could.

As he pulled it from her flesh, sticky black blood poured from the wound and saturated her skin and clothing. Once it was free from her body though she relaxed back, her screams dying down to pained whimpers. As Max chucked the glowing shard, Claire shot it down with a concentrated blast of Chaos, blowing it to smitherines and leaving just a faint trickle of sparkling dust that settled several yards away. It was blown away by the next breeze and once she could near, she quickly moved to Jade's side. "She's bleeding badly... if she dies here, I cannot stop it..." A frantic glance went Zack's way, urging him to set their way home as quickly as possible so they could take the young woman and her ever faithful knight back to Nosgoth.

Once the shard was removed and hurled away, and turned his attention to try and stop the bleed as best that he could. Nodding to Claire as he shifted to pick Jade up in his arms, and moved to follow the others. Zack seen the nod and quickly moved to set their way home, doing so as fast as possible to get his daughter and her faithful knight home. Glancing to Claire once they made it back to Nosgoth and headed to where Jade could be healed.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[Thursday, December 11th, 2014]

Nosgoth

With all that had happened, the Alcar residence in Nosgoth had been heavily fortified in Jade’s absence. The protections lingered for good measure even after she was brought home. Just in case. Certainly Jade would understand. Well, if she woke up that is. The little princess had fallen into a deep slumber ever since she had been taken back to Nosgoth and treated. An angry pink but healing scar marred her abdomen, wrapped gently in enchanted gauze to help speed things along. The door to her bedroom had been repaired and warded but for the time being was left wide open. Here and there various people came and went, her mother, her father, her brothers foremost, not to mention mages and healers and anyone else that her family thought might help. The young man that Jade had deemed her chosen knight had stayed at her side through it all much to the chagrin of her brothers and maybe even her father. But not Claire. Claire found herself in the doorway to her only daughter’s room, arms folded under her bust as she watched Max sit beside the sleeping girl, a halo of raven black hair spread out around her head on her pillow, her chest rising and falling steadily with even breathing.

“You should go get some rest, Maximus.” Claire spoke after a few minutes of extended observation. “The guest room beside Jade’s is free should you wish to utilize it.”

Once they had gotten back to Nosgoth after the ordeal in the Unseen Realms of getting Jade back once and for all, and Max being the one to carry her all the way home, the young knight never left her side, either pacing around when the healers and mages worked to heal her or got looks from her brothers and father when they came in to check on her. Nothing else seemed to matter to the young chosen knight than to stay by his goddess’s side as she slept and recovered. Ever staying in that chair by her bed in a slight lean forward to watch her sleeping, as he had barely left the room since getting back. Sleep was something that just wouldn’t come no matter how hard he had tried to do so, and he just barely caught that Claire had spoken to him. Slowly his gaze moved from the sleeping form of his princess to her mother. “I will get some rest the moment I know that she has recovered and not a moment sooner.” Max murmured softly as he looked worn out, yet seemed utterly intent to remain by Jade’s side. Just incase she were to wake up.

Claire sighed softly and stepped further into the room. Moving to the opposite side of the bed from Max, she sat down on the very edge, her hand settling over top of Jade’s as she slept. The goddess gazed down at the young woman and wondered how it was possible that she could look so grown up while still looking so small tucked into the four poster bed. Her thumb stroked over Jade’s knuckles before looking back to Max.

“You can’t do this to yourself, Max. We don’t know when she’ll awake but she needs her rest and you do too. If you wish, I’ll have a cot brought in, but you haven’t eaten, you haven’t slept, you need to recover too.” Her tone was gentle and calm but held an air of authority that said she was certainly not someone to be argued with.

Max watched Claire as she moved further into the room and to Jade’s side, tilting his head slightly before eventually looking back to the sleeping form of Jade. Shifting to reach up not really caring if Claire watched, as he brushed some of Jade’s hair from her face. Followed with a light sigh passing his lips to hearing the gentle yet commanding tone from the woman. He couldn’t even recall the last time he had eaten anything or took the time to sleep. “I will sleep only if I am allowed to stay near Jade.” Countering as he looked back to Claire, as his own tone was gentle. Yet it held the utter devotion he held towards her daughter, as well as letting the woman know that he wasn’t aiming to show any disrespect to her or her family. He just didn’t wish to be parted from Jade.

“My child, did you not listen to me? I said I would have a cot brought in for you.” Claire narrowed her eyes slightly at Max, before relaxing slightly and shaking her head. “Look. I am not one to let someone near to my children and after all she has been through, I am hesitant to do so even more than before.” Claire took a breath before lifting a finger to keep him from protesting. She had more to say. “But. You have been with her through thick and thin and you sought to save her when no one else was in a position to do so. You risked your life and ran headlong into certain death. For that, I cannot thank you enough. And for that, I will do what I can to make sure you’re taken care of as well.”

Perhaps it was the lack of sleep getting to him, or it was the fact that he just felt powerless at the moment as all he could do was watch the woman he loved so dearly just sleep. Max was just about to speak before Claire lifted that finger to silence him. So he remained silent as she spoke, not saying a word until she had finished and just stared at her for a long silent moment. His gaze shifted from mother to daughter, and finally nodded softly. “It would probably help her more to sense that I am getting rest as well, than just sitting here by her side without taking care of myself.” Max finally said, before looking to Claire again and nodded lightly to accept her offer. “You do not have to thank me.” Murmured softly as well.

“You saved my daughter, I owe you far more than thanks.” The smile that bloomed was genuine through and through even as her thumb continued its gentle caress of her daughter’s hand. Finally she rose though, reluctantly releasing Jade’s hand from her grasp and stepping back from the plush bed that held the sleeping beauty. “Also, should her father or brothers raise a fuss, simply refer them to me. I imagine you’ll get no less than four dirty looks.” A soft chuckle left her lips and she began a backwards walk toward the door. “Maximus Shimmer-Scale, Champion of the Unseen Realm, Shepard’s Knight, and dragon slayer of another realm, you fight valiantly and for that I give you my blessing to be a part of my daughter’s life. They will have a cot in for you shortly. Please get some rest.” She lingered just long enough in the doorway to allow him time to respond and then she was gone.

Max nodded softly to those words as he glanced back to Jade and tilted his head again, as he pondered those words. He didn’t mention it out loud, but it was then that he realized that while he had saved Jade’s life. She in turned had saved him and given him something to live and die for other than the cause that he had once followed before. Little did either Claire or Max know, but there had been another present watching and listening to the conversation. None other than Jade’s father Zack had been watching from the doorway the whole time, and the moment Claire moved to had out of the room. He moved to get that cot that was being requested, and he pondered his wife’s words to the young knight. As well as the previous ones that she had spoken to him about, still it was hard for the man to see his daughter as anything other than his little girl. Perhaps it was time for him to accept that his little girl was able to make her own choices now, and for him to trust her to make the right ones. She had chosen the right man to be her knight. A dragon slayer no less.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[Friday December 12th, 2014]

Once Max finally got some rest, slowly but surely, the color returned to Jade’s cheeks and her sleep became less deep. Finally, just shy of sundown three days after being brought home, she gently stirred. A soft groan rumbled in her throat and her hands lifted then pressed down against the bed as if to try and push herself upright. Eventually she persuaded her eyes to open and in the twilight that filtered through the curtains, she blinked away sleep and slowly looked around.

“Nnnnnngh. Where…” was all she managed, her voice cracking from lack of use as she sank back into her pillow with another quiet groan.

Max continued to spend every waking moment sitting by Jade’s bed as she slept, except now he took not only Claire’s advice on getting sleep and eating but also took her father’s and brothers’ advice to do the same, as they were slowly coming around to the fact that Max meant so much to Jade. As well as coming around that she meant just as much to him, and when Jade started to stir, Max was the only one there, moving to place a hand to her shoulder to get her to lay back down. “You are in Nosgoth...in your room.” Max murmured softly to her as he moved to sit down on the edge of the bed, while moving his hand to take her own into his, relief on his features and in his eyes to her finally waking up from her deep restful sleep.

Her head ached something fierce but his hand on hers helped to further bring her out of the fog that had filled her head. She squeezed her eyes shut tightly and stifled a soft whimper of pain but eventually opened her eyes once more and shifted her gaze back to Max. Once violet irises had slowly gone aquamarine again save for a thin ring of purple around the edges. She coughed quietly to try and clear her throat, swallowing hard and shaking her head. “But… how? I… I don’t even… remember…”

Squeezing her hand lightly as he brushed his thumb over her knuckles, he watched her while she woke up and squeezed her hand again to her whimpering out. The former Chaos that flowed so freely in his own eyes had drawn back to just barely being seen, before he finally moved to stand, after lifting her hand up for a kiss. “I brought you here.” Max murmured softly as he headed towards the door to ask one of her family members to bring something to eat and drink for Jade, only to pause and look over his shoulder at her. “You were hurt badly, and your family showed up. So we brought you here to recover.” He wouldn’t bring up anything that happened, not just yet. “I think your family has come around to the idea that I am your knight.” Hoping that would get her to at least smile to knowing that her family was opening up to the idea that she had chosen him to live her life with, then opened the door to see if he might spot anyone moving about outside the room.

The heel of her free hand pressed to her forehead, trying to rub away the steady pounding that echoed in her ears. “I… what? Hurt badly doing… Max, I can’t remember. It’s all foggy and blurry and I can’t remember.” Jade slowly tried to sit up, panic rising in her expression as she tried to push off the heavy comforter that laid over her. Her chest rose and fell quickly, each breath short and shallow. When pushing at the blanket didn’t bring the results she wanted quickly enough, she kicked her feet and quickly grimaced, hands dropping to grasp at her midsection, all energy and desperate need to break free having been sapped in a millisecond. “Ngh… Max… what happened…”

As luck would have it. Gabriel would be passing by when Max opened the door, and the two shared a few whispered words between them, getting Jade’s eldest brother to look around Max to Jade. Nodding lightly as he moved to let the others know that she was awake, as well as bring his sister something to eat and drink. Fully leaving her care to the young knight, whom turned and moved to help her with the covers once he reached her side. Max then bit his lower lip as he was unsure if he should tell her what happened or not, as he moved to make it to where she could sit up. Finally he sighed softly as he shifted to help her to sit up. “You don’t remember anything?” Asked softly as he took her hands in his as he sat on the edge of the bed again.

Jade tried to look past Max to see who he was talking too but got no answers and slowly sank back into her bed, slumping against her headboard with a quiet groan. Her head was killing her and every time she tried to look past the fog and get to the memory underneath, she found nothing but pain. Just before Max took her hands, she brushed away a bit of forming moisture from under her lash line and exhaled a shuddering breath. “We… finished your knighting ceremony and were attacked… they took us to… to…” She seemed to struggle for her words and when none came, she shook her head and looked up at the man at her side. “I see snow outside… it’s winter time… when we left the treehouse it was hot… summer in Rhy’Din…” She quieted. “Max… how much time have I lost?”

It would be a few minutes before anyone else would look in on the pair, choosing to let them have their moment together. Max frowned just briefly to seeing the pain that crossed her features, as he listened to her listing off what she remembered last. It got the young knight to frown yet again to having be the one to remember everything, and his beloved princess seemed to be so lost. In the back of his mind, he pondered on talking to one of her parents on if he should tell her what happened. Yet at the same time he had vowed himself to Jade to never lie to her. A glance was given towards the door, before he looked back to Jade. His vow to her trumped all others. “The ones that hurt you are dead, Jade. I was the one that killed each one of them.” Starting there as he squeezed her hands again, as he tried to put what he would say about the things they had done together into words. It was easy to see that he was having a hard time in putting it into words as his brows furrowed towards the other.

She pulled her hands from his and pressed them to her temples, bowing forward until her elbows met her knees. Her stomach was doing flips and the only reason she didn’t throw up was because she hadn’t eaten in several days so there was nothing to lose. When he finally spoke, she slowly looked up at him and frowned. Never had she wanted him to kill on her behalf. She had wanted him to be her knight in order to better protect himself, to be stronger. Evidently while he was out, Gabe had flagged down their mother as well and she peeked her head in on the pair. She didn’t enter though and instead lingered in the doorway.

”Easy, Jade. No need to fret. The mages said things would be slow to come back to you, don’t force them.” Claire said comfortingly, a look shifting to Max that indicated she wished for him not to fill in the blanks for Jade just yet. Her mother worried it would be too much to process and if Jade, their sweet and sensitive Jade, had really come back, she would be devastated.

Slowly Max let Jade pull her hands from his own, as he moved his hands to rest in his lap. He knew that she made him her knight so that he could protect himself better, yet the moment she done that, his full focus had to protect her from anyone that would harm her, even if it cost him his own life. He was just about to continue when Claire spoke up from the doorway, and let out a soft relieved breath as he got the hint. “She is right, Jade.” He murmured softly and looked back to her. “All that matters is that you are still with us.” Max murmured again, just as Gabe cleared his throat as he stopped behind his mother with a tray of food and something to drink.

“Okay…” Jade shifted uncomfortably under the weight of her mother’s gaze, biting at her bottom lip before dipping her chin in a soft nod to the pink haired woman. She would concede for the time being if it meant making the headache go away. As Gabe cleared his throat, Jade’s nostrils flared and she sniffed, inhaling the scent of chicken noodle soup and water laced with lemons. A small smile came to her lips, her brother having brought something that never failed to make her feel better and slowly she sat up and patted down the comforter, all thoughts of the past gone for the time being.

When Gabe arrived with the tray. He nodded to Max to come and get it, before holding it out to the young man when he moved from Jade’s side to walk over. “Thank you.” Max murmured to the man, who just glanced towards his sister then back. Silently telling the young knight to focus on helping his sister, and got a nod in return as Max moved back to Jade’s and placed the tray over her lap. Glancing back for a moment to the door to notice that both Claire and Gabe had shut the door to leave the two alone yet again.
Jade Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jade Alcar »

[March 5th, 2015]

Nosgoth

The woods that butted up against the edge of the Alcar property were vast and dark, especially this time of winter. Even though most of the leaves had fallen, the wide branches still built a formidable wall on the south end of the land. It was this direction that Jade was leading Max on a cold afternoon in March, boots tromping through slowly melting snow, a stark contrast to the late March afternoon the year before in which they had trekked through the forest toward the improvised training grounds in the southern glen's woods. This was the real deal though and she held his hand tightly as she led the way. "No need to be nervous, it's just one final test."

Max looked around the woods and the surrounding area as Jade lead the way, taking in everything as they tromped through the snow. Wearing the very armor that she had crafted for him when she made him her chosen champion, before looking to her as he squeezed her hand at her words. "Do you know what this final test will be?" Murmured as no one told him what test the test would be.

While he was clad in full armor, she had opted for a far more casual look herself, knee high boots and leggings along with a fluffy sweater dress belted around the middle. A bright red cloak was drawn around her shoulders, contrasting against the dreary grey landscape like a splash of sanguine on a blank canvas. Further into the forest she lead him, winding by memory along a familiar path. "I do, yes." She offered him a soft smile and continued along until they broke into a clearing. It seemed... empty.

Glancing to her for a moment with a slight tilt of his head to noting that she seemed to be dressed more casual than he was. Causing him to shift slightly as they continued that trek through the forest before arriving at that clearing, and looked around at it being empty. Once again looking at her with a light smile of his own, before looking around again. Wondering what the test would be about.

The only thing out of place with her outfit was the beast of a sword strapped to her back. It was a fleeting mismatch though, as once they arrived at what seemed to be their destination, she removed it and with a smile offered it out to him. "Maximus Decimus, you have one last test of all you've learned. You will have to push yourself physically, mentally, and magically. Are you prepared?"

Normally he wouldn't find the sight of her wielding that beast of a sword funny, yet this time the sight of her dressed the way she was. It got a soft and light chuckle that he did try to hide, before blinking when she offered it out towards him. Looking between it and her as he very slowly started to take it from her. "I am." Tilting his head as he looked around again, still a bit confused.

Once he took the broadsword from her, she stepped back, walking backwards toward the tree line. She wore a small smile and as she disappeared into the trees he would find their connection cut off. It seemed there would be no help from her in this test. But she was confident he wouldn't need it, not after all he had done so far. When he was finally alone, there was a rustle at the opposite ends of the open clearing and out stepped three figures shrouded in shadows that seemed to pool about their feet and up over their bodies like the lapping flames of a camp fire. Just a distraction though, a blast of flame came from Max's side instead, testing his reflexes.

Max would tilt his head as he watched Jade back up slowly from him while still wearing that small smile. Watching her till she had completely disappeared from his line of sight, followed with a slight shift to feeling that connection being cut off. Now letting a held breath be released as he shifted to bring that sword up into the ready position, and continued to scan the area before his gaze moved to the rustling sound. Watching the three figures step out, before pushing off to leap backwards. Letting that blast sail by as he landed a few feet back from where he had been. Seems at the moment that Jade had trained him well.

Within moments of his landing, the three shrouded figures shot forward, a fourth joining from one side. They ranged in height and build but it was certain to say they were all rather strong. Each wielded a single blade, unique and evidently one of a kind. The two taller figures took Max head on, while the two shorter (who were by no means "short", each standing an identical six foot two) danced nimbly around to the sides to attack with a flurry of blades that was certain to try Max's dexterity and ability to handle multiple foes at once.

Barely having a moment to ready himself as the three figures shot forwards soon followed by the fourth. Getting a faint growl to come from him as he shifted his weight on his feet as well as his grip on that sword. Spinning the large blade to defend himself, or shifting to step or duck out of the way of the multiple attacks. As well as him attacking here and there when he had an opening to do so, while making sure that he wouldn't or didn't leave himself open though.

The battle progressed in ferocity, the four assailants relentless in their attacks to try and wear him down. When that didn't seem to work, the two taller figures disappeared with a crackle of electricity, leaving the fight two on one. This seemed to only encourage the pair and rather than attack Max with ruthless blows, they taunted and tormented by dashing in and dipping out, trading spells and slinging magics as if the knight may not be able to handle both blades and sorcery.

As the battle continued, the young knight seemed to be continuing to hold his own. Barely taking a moment to note that two of his attackers disappeared and left him with the remaining two. And noted that they shifted gears to flinging magic as well as words back at him, getting him to answer back in kind with the magic as well. The taunts were for the most part ignored, but did fire back his own from time to time. Taunting them in return.

A spell blindsided one of the pair and he tumbled to the ground with a grunt before fading into smoke and shadows. The remaining attacker realized his partner was gone, let out a hearty laugh and pulled his own disappearing act. Cheesy ninja like, complete with a smoke bomb to obscure his departure. Behind Max, someone cleared their throat and once he turned around, he would be faced with a towering figure, wide draconic wings flaring out behind them to keep them a few feet off the ground. "Round two." They said, the voice masculine and touched with amusement before diving in with the attack.

Taking a moment to catch his breath when the final two attackers disappeared before quirking a brow to how the second one vanished. Followed with him whirling around at the throat clearing as well as the voice, causing a faint mutter to come from him as brought the sword up again. Once again shifting when needed to defend and attack.

For a single attacker, this one wielded twice the power of the two previous combined and he easily countered Max's attacks with wide sweeping blows of his own blade. Adding one more element to it all, the hand to hand blows were intermittently thrown, punches and kicks meant to disorient and rattle the younger slayer. Seeing just how much it would take to wear him down.

The stronger blows were knocking him back yet he seemed to be driven by something other that his own will power. As anytime he happened to be knocked off guard, or off his feet. He was quick to get back up, even if his breathing was slowly starting to quicken due to the increased pace his attacker and himself were setting.

Still the man was relentless, taking advantage of his aerial ability to rain down blow after blow. Beneath the cloak of shadows that obscured his identity, a smirk was growing though and once he had deemed Max's performance suitable he shot high into the sky and disappeared beyond the treeline. At one end of the clearing, there was a clapping of broad hands, slow applause as Jade's father stepped out of the dark. No longer relying on any form of shadow magic to hide his identity, she offered Max a wide grin and snapped a salute of his blade to the man. "You bested my sons, very well done. Let's see how you fare against me."

Continuing to match the man move for move, before once again watching his attacker disappeared into the sky this time. Once again giving him a brief moment to catch his breath, before glancing towards the sound of someone clapping. "Round three then?" Max might have been leaning just a touch against Jade's massive beast of a sword before lifting it up in a salute to her father.

Out of sight, Jade and the Alcar brothers watched the final showdown. Gabe's hand set to his sister's shoulder and the twins flanked either side of her. "So he's really it huh? The one?" Raz asked his older sister, eyeing the small but sparkling ring on her left ring finger. A blush of red filled her cheeks and she gave her little brother a shy nod but kept her eyes on the fight beyond in the clearing. Her father was by far the hardest fight of all, something Jade herself seldom bested. In fact, even Gabriel had only beat him a handful of times over the years and neither of the twins had managed it unless they teamed up together. So to see him go up against Maximus was worrisome to say the least. "He'll prove himself." She murmured with a small nod. "Just you wait and see."

Her father glanced for a moment towards where his children were at before looking back to Maximus, whom followed his glance as well. Once the two were ready, the final round in Max's test started. As her father didn't hold back at all, nearly forcing the young slayer to be more defensive and pick his spots. When he had the chance and wasn't being forced backwards from the dual fight of swordplay and magic. Sure to have Jade to be worried that it looked like dear old dad would win out.

Jade chewed at her lip, ever so tempted to tap the line between herself and her knight to try and help but knew that would do the exact opposite. It wouldn't truly be a test if she gave him assistance so reluctantly she stayed back. Every clash of blades and spell slung had her mouth getting more and more dry and each time Max was forced further back, her heart leapt into her throat. Softly, she murmured, "C'mon Max, you can do it..."

Even though there was no connection allowed between them as the test continued. Yet when Jade murmured softly to herself, it seemed to get the desired reaction from her chosen mate. As Max started to turn the tide into being the one in control, slowly but surely he started to gain the upper hand. Causing it to be more on even ground right now.

Out of sight from the fight, she bounced on her toes, worry etched in her expression even as he found a more even ground against her father. Her older brother set his hand to her shoulder to settle her, snickering softly under his breath. Jade shot a glare at Gabe and went back to watching, eyes wide. "There you go... just a bit further..."

Yet the even ground lasted only a few more moments, as Jade's beloved knight eventually fell to her father. As Max had been knocked backwards off his feet from a rather harsh kick, after his sword had been knocked from his hands. Max slammed into the ground and laid there staring up at the sky blinking. There would be a silence for a fwe heartbeats, before her father finally spoke. "Jade... He's all your's." Glancing to where his daughter was at before he moved to head off.

She nearly came tumbling out of the treeline when Max fell but let her father finish his exercise. Blinking a few times when Zack called to her, she hesitantly stepped out and moved toward Maximus. What did it mean, what did it mean? She wasn't sure. Seldom did she or her siblings beat their father in even fights so it wasn't too much of a surprise that Max hadn't, let alone on his first try. Still, she came to kneel beside him and gave him a warm smile. "You did wonderfully.'

Zack looked over his shoulder from the treeline letting a smile cross his lips for a moment, followed with him motioning for Gabe to follow. Allowing the two to have their moment alone, as Max looked up at Jade when she came over and knelt down. "What...was that about?" Finally murmured after managing to catch his breath and smiled up at her.

"What was what about?" She asked him obliviously, her hands running over his armor to make sure it had held up. It would need a good polishing but she had done a hell of a job and the combination of materials had proven beneficial in such a fight. "That was your last exercise." She thought. She hoped. Or something.

"Them wanting to test me." Murmured back at her as the armor had held up just like she had hoped it would. Now moving to sit up and catch her hands with his own, before his brows rose to her words. "So that means that I am part of the family?"

She squeezed his hands and got herself back up to her feet, his hands still held until she pulled to help him to his feet as well. "I...I'm not wholly sure but you can definitely run with the best of them. I think you've got the boys' approval at the very least. But um, don't worry about that last one... no one ever seems to beat him."

He squeezed her hands back before slowly moving to his feet again with her help, and nodded lightly to her words. "You taught me how to run with the best." Murmured softly to her, before moving to gather his sword and looked back to her. "So..now what?"

"I tried. You learned well." His previous training before he had come to Rhydin had helped too but she didn't quite say that. Letting his hands go, she chewed at her lip and looked off toward where her father and oldest brother had gone. "I don't know. Stay here a second and I'll go see." She trailed after her family soon after. "Daaaaaaaad. Wait up."

"I had a great teacher." Murmured back to her as he didn't mention his previous training had helped as well. Continuing to watch her as he sheathed his sword, before nodding as she took off to find her family. Zack looked over his shoulder as they were nearly out of the forest, before glancing to Gabe. "Go tell your mother that the boy passed." Using a low tone before turning to face his daughter. "Yes Jade?"

She gave Max and encouraging smile and hurried after Zack and Gabe. As she game to a stop, she hadn't caught their quiet conversation but as Gabe went off to do as his father commanded, Jade peered up at her dad. "Well? You can't just walk off and not tell me how it went!"

Zack slowly narrowed his eyes at his daughter when she dared to raise her voice at him. Getting him to look towards where Jade had left Max then looked back down at her. "You should know better than to raise your voice." Slowly turning to start walking again. "He passed, and if this is whom you wish to marry." Looking over his shoulder. "You have the blessing of everyone."

Not like Jade really raises her voice, she peered at her father. "Daddy, I didn't raise my voice. I just wanted to know how he did. You just like... walked off and didn't say anyth..." She trailed off and blinked at him a few times. "Really? Like... really really?" Then she let out a high pitched squeal and flung her arms around her dad's shoulders, her feet dangling off the ground as she hugged him tightly. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

He knew she didn't raise her voice at him, as he was just trying to throw her off her guard. "Really really." Over his shoulder before hearing that squeal from her got him to wince just a bit, before shifting to hug her back. "Welcome. Now go back and spend some time with him." Setting her down and shooing her off towards where she left Max.

She planted a smooch on his cheek and let him go, dropping back down to her flat footed five foot three. "Okay!" She said cheerfully, spinning around and taking off at a dead run back to Max. "Maaax! Max! We need to go celebrate! Let's go get dinner and stuff." She nearly tackled him.

Zack chuckled as he got a cheek kiss and watched her take off, before moving off to follow after Gabe. Max was pacing a bit as he waited for Jade to return, only to turn in time to hear her calling out to him. "Go celebrate..Oof!" She did tackle him!

She giggled and kissed him as well, this one full on the lips before straightening them out. "Okay, let's go. You get to pick where we eat because you're the winner winner tonight." Grabbing his hand, she aimed to get him back on the path back to the Alcar residence. They could leave from there if they wanted.

He blinked up at her before kissing her back on the lips, and once again moved to his feet with her help. "It doesn't matter where we eat as long as it is with you." Answering her honestly as he moved to walk with her to where ever she lead them.

Return to “Through the Never”