Degeneration.

The Second Best Dueling Event of the Year!
Hydra Corporation
Adventurer
Adventurer

Degeneration.

Post by Hydra Corporation »

Beneath the strobe of an overhead lamp, two figures look upon a third as it lays prostrate on an examination table. The majority of the figure is covered in tight bandages spotted in dried blood.

“How is the prototype coming?” The tallest asks, fingers adjusting the cufflinks upon his suit.

“Better than expected, sir. We have collected enough recombinant DNA from particles left in the dueling rings to begin germination," the shorter, more portly man giddily states. His lab coat stained in food and spilled iodine. A mustard splotch decorates a spot just above his breast pocket.

“Good. And you are certain that Kurgen knows nothing of this?” His question is laced with deep concern.

“Absolutely, sir. As far as he is aware, we are just a financial patron helping promote his tournament.” Mr. Labcoat reassures Mr. Suit with a bobbleheaded nod.

“It’s beautiful, no?” Mr. Suit asks with a cluck of his tongue as other lab assistance come and start cutting free the bandages. Smooth porcelain skin is slowly revealed, inch by inch.

“It’s…perfect.” Mr. Labcoat corrects as his voice catches in his throat.

"And the other?" The suit queries while turning to look at his counterpart.

"No memory. The enhancements are in place, but she will have no memory." He says uncertainly before clearing his throat.
Hydra Corporation
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Hydra Corporation »

"The last of the competition data has been filed into the database?" Asks a blond haired weasel of a man as he looks over a row of cloth covered bodies on gurneys. In the middle rests the jewel of their labors, a mixture of DNA gathered from fighters during the Hydra Tournament taken from the very ring floors, discarded towels, and other such places none think of. Two more bodies rest on either side of the Prototype, all five still as stone.

"Yes sir." Replies Mr. Labcoat with crooked smile. "You overseeing that invitational tournament yourself was a stroke of genius, we got more than could have been hoped from getting the best of the best Hydra had to offer in one room together."

"That's why I did it. How long will psychological manipulation take? And when would all five be ready for field testing?" Mr. Suit asks while lifting up one of the sheets to look at the naked female form beneath. "Too bad we didn't get a chance to collect samples from Seirichi, but one Adennian is as good as another, right?"

"Sir? We actually did get some from her last season. I've kept it on ice to preserve it. " Mr. Labcoat wheezes while digging out an inhaler.

"Good. Add it to the pool. You still didn't answer my question. When will they be ready for field testing?" Mr. Suit asks once more with an edge in his voice.

"Next season, sir." Labcoat replies with an audible gulp of air.

"Right on schedule."
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

There is always something pervasive in the air around the Hydra Corporation's office building that makes Sylus' skin crawl. Those who know the man understand just what that signifies. If Sylus Kurgen is unsettled by something, then something is incredibly wrong. It's a smell around the smiling, friendly, faces he can't identify. Each season, the scent has only gotten stronger.

While it's a scent he can't identify...something in it comes across as familiar. Like walking into the venues and being surrounded by the collective aura of aggression that comes with a room full of fighters. Save he's looking at men and women talking about promotions, how much company stock they are considering purchasing...each of them in business dress. Suits, skirts, hair up in buns. None of them hold the look of fighters. They lack the hunger in their eyes to face a challenging opponent. Not one person has a single callous on their knuckles or cauliflower gnarling on their ears; nor the puffy lip look that develops over years of getting repeatedly punched in the face.

However, that's only at first glance. After several trips of coming here for meetings and discussing how to better develop the competition he's noticed each of these men and women have become harder. Handshakes are firmer, any sort of soft features in their faces have become more defined. Jawlines, bone structures and minor features appear slightly changed. His last visit made him swear that Karen in Human Resources looked like Seirichi at a distance, up close though, he didn't see it at all. At least until she laughed at a joke from another employee.

Maybe Jo's right and I need to take a vacation from dueling all together. Just take a trip to some island where it's only the two of us, lots of sun, sand, no clothes and plenty of face-time with each other, he thinks to himself. And alcohol.

"Hold the elevator!"

His gaze lifts up from the panel of buttons to a pink haired woman waving her arm like crazy to get his attention. Just as with Karen....from afar he first thinks of Claire, but when she enters the elevator he sees Nancy on her I.D. badge. He knows she's one of the drones from accounting.

"Dye your hair?" A simple question since he thought she was a brunette.

She goes all doe eyed at his question and touches her bob-cut nervously. "Yeah...do you like it? One day I just felt like a new color would be a good move..."

"If you like it, that's what's important." A safe answer, even if he thinks some people hate when others rip off their style.

"I completely agree!" she beams and then "Well this is me...have a good day."

He follows her exit from the elevator and down the hall where he catches, "Oh em gee, guys...Sylus totally complimented my hair. I was scared he was going to go all Hannibal Lector on me in the elevator, but he's kinda nice..."

Probably best his gruff laughter is cut off by the elevator doors.

The elevator dings when he reaches the 38th floor. He knows there are 40 in total, but the elevator only goes to this one, nor are their stairwells going up. Part of him wonders why only the express elevators go all the way to the rooftop. As the door opens to the boardroom, he is greeted by the different members in civil, even congenial tones. Stepping off the elevator is like passing a barrier. The scent from the floors below vanishes instantly as do the vague familiarity he picks up from the regular employees. If anything, that unsettles him even more.

"Ah, Sylus, glad you could make it. We understand the forges of Dimma Ulffer keep you pretty hammered for time." Not the first time Simon Kazama has made that joke, nor is it the first time the board has laughed at it.

And as with every other time before, Sylus merely shrugs and replies. "Not everyone can get paid to sit in a chair and make phone calls to someone that's just down the hall from them."

Also, like every other time...he notices the way many of them squirm uncomfortably at his return salvo. A few even try to pull in their growing paunches. A reminder of their profound differences in perspective. While Sylus does not actively duel, he's still a trained, hardened, fighter. He knows they understand this, but need the occasional reminder.

"If you'll please sit, we'll get started." Simon moves on with little interruption.

With the press of a button on a little remote in his hands, the lights dim, and shutters close around the room to plunge them into comfortable shadows. Sylus smiles at the way many of them look his way, thinking the darkness hides the anger they direct his way. His smile remains, taking amusement over the fact he can see perfectly in the dark...and they don't know that.

"One of our many projects here at, Hydra Corporation deals with genetics. With the fighting tournament's popularity at an all time high over previous seasons, we thought it'd be nice to give the fighters a curve ball. Just something out of left field." Simon continues as the projector boots up to display parallel videos of two fighters in Hydra Corp training gear being put through paces. "These two are from our Dueling Evolved program. A pair of bantam weight competitors that agreed to help. We wanted to clear it with you about having them enter the Invitational as mystery fighters. Just something to spice up the post-season tournament."

Sylus reclines in his chair and watches the looped video over steepled hands. "Never occurred to me that dueling needed to be evolved..." he begins and holds up a finger to signal that he's not done.

"Tell you what, bub. You can go ahead with your little test. Since that's all this could be, you want to see if the program works against seasoned fighters in a controlled setting. Because, if the Hydra fighters, who duel regularly, and challenge for titles, can't beat your science experiments? That doesn't say they're outclassed by of your Dueling Evolved fighters, it means they've grown complacent fighting the same pool of fighters all the time. If anything, it'll shake them up and remind a number of the stagnant about why they duel in the first place."

Even Sylus is surprised by the pride in his own words. It certainly catches Simon off guard. "I...didn't think you cared that much about the duels, Sylus. I mean, you don't have many accolades outside of what? The two Talons in the histories and some high placement in the Madness tourney?"

Simon's trying to goad him, and Sylus knows it. Instead of taking the bait, the man pushes to his feet with a gruff laugh. "If Simon says, that must be how a good number of folks feel. As for me? If someone's a good combatant, and they know they are...they don't have to go out of their way to prove it. The hungry and untested'll seek them out. And you can shut them up with a strategically timed slash."

The light from the elevator floods the room making the members of the board throw up their hands reflexively. Sylus blinks once or twice as he steps inside. "Gentleman, have a good day. I look forward to seeing how our wager here pans out. My money is on the real fighters that have climbed up the ranks from the bottom. Not your science experiment."

Silence greets his exit with the descent of the elevator.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~

Return to “The Hydra's Den”