Education at Dragon's Gate

Seek the places where light meets dark, there you will find tales of inexplicably intertwined realms both near and far.

Moderators: King, Claire Gallows, Cooper Gallows

Shadowlord
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Education at Dragon's Gate

Post by Shadowlord »

A Different Sort of Mentorship, part 1
Late afternoon, 7/4

Shadow sat in his study at the Dragon's Gate manor, looking at the number scribbled on a memo pad, and his phone - puzzling out, slowly, how to enter it into his device. "Crystal balls are superior to these foolish things," he muttered, finally achieving his goal, after a few minutes of misentering, beeping, and other strange lights and noises being produced by his 'smart' phone. Fortunately he was well versed in activating the strange, quasi-mystical device known as a cellphone, and soon enough was dialing Shae's number.

Generally Shae would have agreed with Shadow. In fact, she would have been amused to hear his aggravated mutterings. She'd eventually adapted to this technology -- at least enough to send texts and make calls -- and had chosen it since it seemed to be the more widely accepted method of communication. Little did she know her mentor might also be equally 'behind the times', as it were.

Ring Ring.

Today she was at the docks, and the vibration of the phone in her pocket required a careful setting down of her tools before she could fish it forth to answer.

Ring Ring.

The phone clicked over, treating Shadow to the sounds of wind and waves before: "Hello?"

If she could have seen him, she'd have seen the surprise which marked his features every time he successfully made a call, and a voice answered. He held the phone away from his ear to be sure he was deciphering the cryptic script on the screen properly, then drew it close to his mouth once more.

"Shae, this is Shadow. Been a little while, are you well? Am I keeping you from something?"

He tried to decipher the sounds beyond her, but he'd had enough experience with these phones to know sometimes it was just 'static' a strange seemingly mystical energy that affected technology frequently.

"Shadow!" Recognition warmed her voice. "Good, good. I was hoping my message at the orphanage would cross your desk eventually. It strikes me that we never truly established a means of reliable communication. We've been slacking, my mentor." Faint chuckling. Where she was, only the loudest of the distant voices would ever be caught by the speaker on the phone. More prominent might be the cries of a small flock of nearby terns. "I've the time to speak. How are you? Where have you and your household been living since the disaster on the Isle?"

A smile touched his lips at her jest, funnier because it was true. Granted, he had not anticipated the Isle's destruction, and had assumed that meetings at the Lagoon might work. Clearly they were both rather busy of late! "Never let any of the kids hear you call me a slacker, you might give them ideas. But quite right. Thank you for the phone number. Ah, Wilson is much happier now in the Dragon's Gate manor, which he considers a proper home, and Rumpelstiltskin never liked the Water tower much anyway. I was in fact babysitting on the night of the destruction, somewhat to my shame, but also relief. I'm glad you made it out alright."

Busy indeed. It just went to show that nothing was ever permanent. On a future meeting, she might provide him with a less complicated means of contact, provided she caught wind of his preferences. "I shall endeavor not to instill bad habits on my visits. Which, incidentally, is what I was wanting to get in touch with you to speak about. You know, beyond ascertaining that you and yours were alright." It still concerned her, that those in the farther towers might not have had the time to properly evacuate. "I came through just fine. Exhausted, but fine."

"I do appreciate the concern. You know, I am still able to enter the Tower itself. The view from any given window reminds one of an underwater maelstrom. I did not dare try to leave it, not that water is any barrier, but I could not determine the danger of attempting to leave the Tower's demesne." He paused, letting out a soft sigh. "Only time will tell us now what will be. And, you wished to speak with me about bad habits? Oh dear, what have I done?" Another unseen grin, though mirth was clear in his voice, alongside genuine curiosity. "Or, you wish to visit the Orphanage?"

"Really?" Surprise. Perhaps a note of intent interest, even. Questions were certainly swirling in her mind as a result. Such as: "Are you the only Keeper capable of accessing their tower? Or are the others likewise capable? Is transport between the towers possible, or is that still an unknown danger?" She caught herself before she went on and on.

"Not bad habits, per say. Though I'm sure I could lecture them on the dangers of intelligent items and how the ArCane might be slowly taking over your mind." Dryly delivered, but she was clearly joking. "Visits. I wished to speak to you about visits. I'm...touch and go where children are concerned, but I have something of a soft spot for orphans. I wanted to know if there was some way in which I could volunteer. Stories, teaching or mentorship, whatever is called for."

She'd returned him a host of questions, which his own revelations had of course engendered, and so he took them in order. "I do not know of Jesse, but Ahni can reach hers. Not sure about Neo. Travel between the Towers was never really something which could occur without express permission by both Keepers. Ah, you leave the ArCane out of this!" He chuckled softly. "Now then, there's the heart of it. Shae, I am *always* looking for help with the children. I've also just started a new, primarily youth-oriented dojo to teach various forms of self-defense. The magical arts included. You need merely tell me how you wish to contribute and I can see it done."

"Has Jesse been found to be alive?" Last she had heard, the fire keeper was still missing after the portal had closed. "A relief if so, things were looking dire there for a while." A moment of quiet on her end. "I only asked about the transport between towers because, well...if they are stable enough for visitation amidst the chaos, it tends to imply that they are something like anchors. Or could be modified as such. Perhaps...networked efforts with a keeper in each tower. Maybe mages in support. Maybe a coven casting of that scale would allow for the framework of the Isle to be reestablished. Order restored, or at least a region stabilized from which to assess the damage. Hard to say without more information."

"Let's leave the Isle matters for the moment. The existence of the End Bringer indicates that greater powers than even the Keepers are at work, and I have no hard evidence. What you say sounds applicable, but even I cannot tell whether interference at this point would be anything but harmful." He let out another breath, focusing on the matter at hand, the matter he could control.
Last edited by Shadowlord on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate; and though I have oft passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Shadowlord
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Shadowlord »

A Different Sort of Mentorship, part 2

It was a puzzle. Like all puzzles she encountered, it was never truly put down but she shelved it for later thought when time permitted. Dragging herself away from the matter of the Isle, she forced herself to focus on more local concerns. "I'd be willing to teach those whose aptitudes in the arcane are awakening. To teach them control and the habits needed to use magic safely. I'd also be willing to work with the older children on matters of defense. I would prefer not to put practical applications of magery into the hands of anyone younger than, say, mid-teens."

"Done. I only allow those younger than twelve or so to learn the basics of technique in any fighting art, for one. But we Have many in the age range you mention, and most of those are in dire need of guidance. I help as I can, but I am only one wizard. I'll say this also: some of our guests teachers and child-watchers teach them crafts to pass the time, something mundane, a good use of the hands and occupation of the mind. You need not only teach magic. At the dojo, which I will be setting up in my baronial manor, will be where the fighting arts are practiced."

"I don't mean to step on any toes where the running of the school is concerned. If you already have a program in place, I'll do my best to comply with it. That's just what I'm comfortable with." She'd seen the dangers of putting power into the hands of those with a reason to be angry at the world without the wisdom to know where to direct their efforts. "If I see an aptitude I can attempt to encourage it, or perhaps, in the case of the older ones, network them with locals who might be able to take on an apprentice? I'm sure some of those with a knack for swords and the like might have an interest in learning how they are forged, for example. Could get a bit more community involvement that way."

"You would have free reign to do as you wished, including the assignment of an assistant. Lacking the personnel, I myself would be willing to assist you. This is not about dueling magic, and not about simply staying busy. I wish the youth taught to learn something real, and practical, and I know few who are better practitioners than yourself." His eyes drifted through the window, toward the shadow of a passing cloud, ere he continued, "My only requirement is that we be ready to begin on the first of August. Is this too soon? We can work out the minutiae of details between now and then, but you will step on no toes. Of this I am sure."

"That is my aim as well. It was my understanding that the defense school aspect of Dragons' Gate was meant more for adults in the community, rather than the children. I'm far less interested in endeavoring to teach someone to fight with magic than I am in imparting a foundation of magic to those with the skill amidst the orphans." There was a pause as she gave some thought. "I appreciate your confidence, Shadow. The first of August might be a little tight, but I can attempt to have a schedule of learning in order by then. Much of the first few weeks will likely involve testing the children to find out who has what aptitude, and at what strength, I imagine. Will the school be providing materials?"

"Materials, indeed. I'm funding it personally, so you should not be lacking in most anything you require. Anything particularly rare we might have to search for - but I have a system in place for that need. As to the testing for aptitude, I have spent the last several months doing this very thing, and can at least narrow the likely crop down for you into something manageable, if that is acceptable? Also, what sort of compensation do you require? I have coin of the realm, and other resources." Mirth gone from his voice, the elf's steady tone was brisker, all business now. He took his job as caretaker and guide of children very, very seriously.

"I doubt we will need to delve into rare materials for some time yet. I'd be teaching them the basics, after all, and I intend to move as slowly as necessary to ensure a firm grasp of the concepts." What first was an offer was now treated in more certain language. Shae had agreed to the efforts amidst the discussion. "That is acceptable, but I would still like to test them myself, if that's alright. If I'm to teach them, I should know first hand what potential they may have. It would also give me a chance to encounter them one on one prior to a classroom setting."

Slow inhale, slower exhale. "Whatever you think is fair compensation for the time. Coin is well and good if you want me working there in a more permanent capacity, and we can discuss scheduling. I'd ask that you at least match my wages from the library, as I would need to resign from that position to make time for this."

He smiled at her answer, which confirmed his confidence in her. He had a good sense of people, but even one of his wizardly (and old-age) insights liked confirmation of his own heart's vision.

"Shae, you may name your salary. What I will do, to allow you your screening time, is have you come to the Orphanage at your earliest convenience, to be given proper security clearance. It..takes more than a badge, as your aura must be attuned to the magical defenses we have in place. You will find that the Dragon's Gate Orphanage is among the safest places in this city. It is there you will begin your work, before the school's official opening, if that is your wish. Consider me at your beck and call in all things regarding this. Also, know that I have thus far secured Rayvinn's assistance in teaching knife fighting, and intend to seek out Ahni to help teach magic defense as well. If she agrees, I imagine you two will have cause to work alongside each other from time to time." He had a great deal of recruitment to do, in fact, and to an elf less than a month to accomplish it all was truly pushing the envelope - but he had learned to live at Rhy'din's frenetic pace years ago.

"As you like. I'll see about submitting something regarding salary in writing to your office when I come by to have myself attuned to the wards. I should be able to make time this coming week." A smile came to her voice as she pictured the petite Keeper. "I suspect that Ahni will be much enjoyed by many of the children. I would be happy to work with her should the cause arise. I will give some thought to the matter of an assistant, as well. Perhaps someone will volunteer?" She tried to think of a few of her acquaintance who might have an interest, but shelved the matter for later. "Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any other way I might help you get the endeavor up and running?"

"I'll let you know of new developments as they arise, Shae. I'd like to thank you on behalf of the students, now. Because if you teach them properly, they might not be thanking you much at first. As to the assistant, Fox might be helpful. Many of them have experience with being..monitored by Rumpelstiltskin, and I'd like to expose them to our four legged brethren as much as possible. Rumpel himself lends me support in times of need, with his strong spirit. I'd also like to personally thank you, Shae. I think we can do some good work, here."

"Sounds just fine to me, Shadow. And I wouldn't thank me yet. This is the first time I'll have ever tried something like this. Thank me when it's a success." Soft hum of consideration. "I'll ask Fox, see if he's up for something like that. He wasn't wild about my idea to volunteer, but he might warm to the idea of being in charge, even on a temporary basis." The easy smile returned to her voice. "You're welcome, Shadow. I'm sure it'll work out. I'll see you soon, yes?"

"Fair enough Shae. The birds, as it were, are still in the bush. But I think we'll do just fine. And Rumpelstiltskin is never particularly happy with anything I do." A chuckle rang over the phone. "Have an excellent day. When next we speak, let's meet face to face. These cellphones are passing strange for doing business. Be well, Shae." He'd await her reply before pressing the wrong button, a beep sounding over the phone, then silence. So, not that button, he noted for future reference.

"Be safe, Shadow." She took mercy on the elf after the beep and with a light chuckle ended the call.

Click.
"Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate; and though I have oft passed them by, a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun." -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “Through the Never”