Food for thought

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

Xavior Mues
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Food for thought

Post by Xavior Mues »

The last few years a mobile app has had my attention. This app has had its ups and downs, but recently the owner took on a partner with an astute business mind. Through the sales of certain in game bonuses he's acquired professional advertising for the app and new players flock in daily. The last three weeks have seen 1800 new players join our ranks. 360 have joined between 6am and noon today alone. This leaves me wondering why something similar isn't done here. The, before mentioned, sold bonuses increase your accounts resource production rate or your ships speed or your weapons rating or similar marginal advantages. A similar approach here might net this app the same growth. Are there 20 players here who would pat 10$ per month for an extra fancy for dos/dof or an extra spell slot in dom? Personally, I'd pay it to duel 10+ times a night once more.

X mun
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

Are there 20 players here who would pat 10$ per month for an extra fancy for dos/dof or an extra spell slot in dom?
Pay to Win is the worst mechanic to ever exist. Instead of putting in effort one drops money to gain the same benefits as a player who have been doing this for years or more. Monetary value should not equal to skill.

This is why most mobile games, such as Candycrush and the like, are just cash grab attempts to exploit addictive behaviors in their playerbase. We live in a now-now-now day and age where waiting and actually playing the game is frowned upon; because why do that when you can get instant gratification now? Want to be level 100 but don't want to level? Don't worry, we got you covered. Want fancies but don't want to rank? Don't worry, pay this and you can be on par with Warlords.

This site shouldn't be about making money or trying to become a new app fad that could fade away in a few years time. I'd rather this site crash, burn, and die before it became a cash grab.
Xavior Mues
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Xavior Mues »

I couldn't agree more about the p2w, but I used to limit my fancies against lower ranks so I'd get a better challenge. Pay for marginal advantage ISNT p2w. I assure you, those new players are in the school of hard knocks and will remain there until they develop skill.

Or, consider it another way. You call it cash grab, yet the officials here receive no real reward for their efforts. There, I administer a wgs(wargames) uni. I watch the resource exchange logs on 15 people to detect cheating. I have to monitor those logs 24/7. Before the new owner arrived I wasn't compensated for my efforts, but now I get the in game equivalent of 140$ a month to help something I love remain healthy. Shouldn't the callers here receive some form of compensation for their efforts? Where is said compensation to come from if not the player base?

OK, I'll shut up now. :-P
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

The idea has been thrown around before. Officials gaining non-monetary benefits wouldn't be so bad. Be a steady caller weekly for a years time? Gain maybe 5 WoL's in your sport of choice or maybe a challenge grant for a title in your sport of choice. Easy in-game means as a thank you for hard work. These being connected to the name you are calling on so it can be explained easily IC as work benefits.

It'd just need to be limited. If a sub-caller came in and called only once or twice a year, while their help is nice, they should not gain the same benefits as a caller who comes week after week on a set scheduled shift.

That's not at all pay to win. You're putting in the time and effort to help the community thrive as an official instead of putting down cash for an advantage boost.
Xavior Mues
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Xavior Mues »

I know I said I'd be quiet and I know the following questions will damn me too, but have you ever been on the receiving end of the attentions of an enraged player? Have you ever had scripters delete your account or attempt to damage your devices because you caught them? Has your phone ever rang in the early a.m., heard some strange voice call you your in game sn, and then start making horrible threats or screaming at you? 5wol or 1challenge right a year isn't compensation enough IMHO.

OK, this time I will shut up. Its been awhile since I've been around, but I'm still very fond of this game and I'm only suggesting possible growth methods. Its possible I've grown too accustomed to having the 'powers that be' value and seek my opinion. I'll get that ego back in check.
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

No. But as someone who had steadily called for the past 3 or 4 years, doing multiple nights per weeks at times / being on the normal calling schedule, hosting events and putting events up -- I don't think callers deserve monetary payment. The 5 WoL's and challenge grant were just examples of what could be used. They could be expanded upon easily. But getting paid to volunteer for a non-profit organization that's set out for fun over profit? No.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Tbh, if this stuff goes pay-for-extras, I'm outta here. I like having a free place to write and play and duel, I've always said I'd consider donating to the site for development or anything like that. But if it's as a shortcut to getting our equivalent of "end game content" then nah. No thanks.

And in the context of RDI/ROH, as both a caller and a coordinator, yes, yes I have been on the receiving end of the attentions of an enraged player. But that's about it, because the people around here are pretty chill and don't go around trying to damage each other outside of the site. And again, if we had a community like that, I'd get the hell out of a dodge. No amount of enjoyment of the game is worth that sort of abuse, even if they gave incentives. Besides, I volunteer my time not in hopes of gaining compensation but rather giving back to the community since, you know, it's free and has been the source of quite a bit of enjoyment for me.

It's a free site. Run (mostly) by volunteers. Not for profit, for fun.
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

Claire Farron wrote:Tbh, if this stuff goes pay-for-extras, I'm outta here. I like having a free place to write and play and duel, I've always said I'd consider donating to the site for development or anything like that. But if it's as a shortcut to getting our equivalent of "end game content" then nah. No thanks.
this tbh
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Claire Farron wrote:Tbh, if this stuff goes pay-for-extras, I'm outta here. I like having a free place to write and play and duel, I've always said I'd consider donating to the site for development or anything like that. But if it's as a shortcut to getting our equivalent of "end game content" then nah. No thanks.

And in the context of RDI/ROH, as both a caller and a coordinator, yes, yes I have been on the receiving end of the attentions of an enraged player. But that's about it, because the people around here are pretty chill and don't go around trying to damage each other outside of the site. And again, if we had a community like that, I'd get the hell out of a dodge. No amount of enjoyment of the game is worth that sort of abuse, even if they gave incentives. Besides, I volunteer my time not in hopes of gaining compensation but rather giving back to the community since, you know, it's free and has been the source of quite a bit of enjoyment for me.

It's a free site. Run (mostly) by volunteers. Not for profit, for fun.
100% in agreement with Claire on this.
Peaches
Adventurer
Adventurer
The City Siren

Location: Running with concrete wolves & flirting beneath neon lights.

Post by Peaches »

DM/RoH is not an app game. I don't download it on my phone to play a little bit till I can't anymore because I need to shell out cash for (as Spell put it) an addictive nature. This is, for all intents and purposes, a nice 'home' base for nerds to unite in doing something we obviously enjoy or else we wouldn't be coming around year after year.

Roleplaying/dueling are meant to be fun, challenging, and free. Why? Because I'm pretty sure that this place exists with the soul purpose of allowing creative freedom within reason and the feeling of accomplishment for the dueling venues. I've made some GREAT friends on both sites and no amount of money could trump being able to know that I've found a good niche with people who seem to harbor the same intents as me: Fun.

Also, calling is volunteer work. I don't think anyone would just volunteer for it with the hopes that compensation would be on our plates at some point. You want to compensate me when I'm calling? Tell me 'Thank you!' or 'Great job tonight!' or 'MAN YOU ARE SO COOL!'. I can't speak for others but if I didn't have the time and or interest in devoting a handful of hours every week to help a community grow and stay glued together, then I wouldn't do it in the first place.

And I'm pretty sure no one is calling people in the middle of the night to harass them ... and if they are, they need to go outside.
DemiBob
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by DemiBob »

First, I agree with Spell, Claire, and Peaches on all points.

Second, I want to point out that there are not nearly enough people here to make any amount of money, so it's really a moot point anyway.

Return to “Thoughts at Large”