Positivity Chain

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Positivity Chain

Post by JewellRavenlock »

How it works:
  • 1) I start the chain by complimenting someone and/or praising them

2) The person I complimented and/or praised chooses someone else to compliment/praise

3) The chain continues with as little looping back as possible (try not to pick someone that has already been compliment/praised; if you do, try to pick someone that has not been recently chosen)
Why it's important:
Dale Carnegie, author of How to Make Friends and Influence People, encourages people to "be 'hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise'."

I am not here to influence people, but I think we can all agree that being friends (or at least communicating in a friendly manner and fostering good will) is beneficial to the community as a whole.

There's nothing to be lost by being kinder and encouraging one another, but there is always something to be gained. So let's try it!
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have got inside him, or into the air all round him. She had become a physical necessity."
George Orwell 1984
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Claire

We do not often play together, but I appreciate the work you pour into this community. You ran an IFL team, participated on an IFL team, called a bagillion duels, and run DoM at the same time.

Oh wait! You also still play and write on a regular basis.

Your commitment to the community is very admirable.
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have got inside him, or into the air all round him. She had become a physical necessity."
George Orwell 1984
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Wow, thank you. I definitely appreciate the kind words.

So I suppose I'm up to bat.

Kalamere,

There are some pretty awesome contributors around here, but you've always been one that stands out for the amount of behind the scenes work you put in. Between the standings, DoS, input on other things, and of course IFL (among help with other team tournaments), you have put in an insane amount of work for the enjoyment of others. And you're always so humble about it, which is pretty cool.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Thanks Claire =)

Lot's of choices, but I think despite his keeping Warchild away from a shot at being a two time KBW, I'm going to go with:

Matt

Commander in Chief of the DoF crew and been doing it I believe back to the site's inception. You get involved in everything, Running Team Fist or a variation of it in TDL, IFL, TdR, Hydra and other various one shot events we've done. Having spent a week on the West Coast recently, I feel for anyone trying to keep hours and participate in events based on a clock set three hours earlier, but you do it well and are always a presence in the rooms. The spirit of involvement and willingness to lead are the things I most appreciate - thanks for stepping up.
Guaire Bryne
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Guaire Bryne »

Once apon a time I would have had a fairly negative attitude towards this topic, but I now understand that the reality one measures is one's reality sooo...
Maggie-mun. Your activity, inclusive RP style, and willingness to make time for any unexpected occurrence makes you a bright spot in my RoH reality. Thanks.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Thanks, Guaire!

I would like to thank Dris's player for stepping up to keep track of host scheduling and always being willing to go the extra mile. I have seen Dris in play for years and truly enjoy watching him in action. His unique personality lends a special flair to everything, especially challenge matches.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

Awww. Thanks, Maggie! ^_^

My praise goes out to Amaltea. Everything she does for this community is 100% done out of the goodness of her own heart. She doesn't get paid to run this website or administrate the entire community. She keeps this place strung together solely with her own heartstrings because of the love she has for role-playing and the duels. I think a lot of people forget that she's just as much a volunteer as the rest of us Coordinators, Callers, and Hosts. She has a life outside these fantasy realms just as much as the rest of us do. She's a real person, too. Hers is a thankless job, and I'm here to thank her for doing it. Thank you for not giving up, Amaltea. Thank you for taking control and keeping this community together. Thank you for everything you do, including making me a boss. ;)
Amaltea
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Amaltea »

Thanks Dris! :)

I can't just single out one person. I want to thank the Coordinators, Rayvinn, Matt and Claire, for all the work and time they put into the duels. The Assistants and Standing Keepers. But most of all I want to thank all the callers, because without them we wouldn't have duels. Have you hugged a caller today?
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

To avoid this dying an untimely death because of some breaks in the chain:

Colin

Many of your characters are easy to interact with, which is something I think many of us should emulate. You create amazing, fun, unique events. You step up to call duels all the time and show up to support shifts and events.

You are a valuable asset to our community.

Remember: It may be hard to pick just one person, but that's the only way the chain works :)
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Post by Andrea Anderson »

JewellRavenlock wrote:Many of your characters are easy to interact with,
4REALS? :P

Thanks for the kind words.

Harris

Your ass was the one that really got me interested in dueling. Finding out that little thing you posted about phasing was connected to an obtainable title was the reason I needed to dive into ROH and go through the process of grinding out ranks to WIN THAT DAMN OPAL FROM YOU. Through all that grinding I met interesting people / characters and it's been pretty fun.

You're boss to bounce ideas off to, the most hilarious to talk to ( since your ass gets my humor ), and an all around great dude. Whenever I see Harris pop up in the chat I know **** is about to get funny.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

Jake's been the man for years and is probably the most reasonable individual in the history of this community. I envy his ability to deconstruct an idea and attempt to make it better to appease all the parties involved rather than simply choosing a side and digging in like the majority of us do.

I couldn't even begin to try and list all the things he's done in what is now easily over 20 years of contributions. If that's not amazeballs I don't know what is.
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

First off, my thanks to Harris for his comments.

Part of the problem of having such a long association with the forum is that many of the people I might mention have already moved on, and wouldn't see me name them (and I don't want to kill the thread). Some I would name have already been mentioned.

In the interests of picking someone that will see and respond to this thread...

I think I'll go with Gren.

We loved having him on the Brawlers. His stories with Tara (or I guess more correctly, Tara's torturing of Gren) have always been entertaining. He's a team of his own who's always been a pleasure to interact, play, and duel with. Including in DoG. For his writings and everything else...

He's one (of many) that add value to the community, and I for one am glad to have him around.

And remember, drink Broot!
Gren Blockman
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Gren Blockman »

Thanks Jake, I appreciate your comments. I hope the Brawlers will come back one day.

To bring this full circle, I would like to thank Jewell. I admire the support and patronage she shows RoH. I like the events that she plans to get people involved, like the upcoming Leap Week, or the Surprise Party for Rayvinn and Kalamere when they took over DoS, or the IFL Con! It seems you're always involved with something around here, and I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to make RoH a better place.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Thank you Gren! That means a lot.

And now I get to say something nice about someone else :)

Eva <3

I was so thrilled when you reached out to me and joined Royal Pain last year for IFL. In such a short time, you have become an amazing and vital part of the dueling community (you were already an awesome part of our larger role playing community before that).

You captained a team for IFL in your second year. What!? It took me forever to even think about doing that. And you are a regular supporter of regulation dueling.

And a caller.

You also have a great sense of sportsmanship which I admire a lot. And I just love chatting with you!

Thank you for being awesome.
Luna Eva
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Luna Eva »

Thank you so much, Jewell. :)

A lot of people have been very welcoming and encouraging to me as a new dueler over the last year, but no one more so than Hope.

Hope, you are a great mentor. You are always willing to talk over dueling with me, to practice with me, to share your experience with me. You keep me excited about it even when I get negative, and you listen to me vent when I get frustrated. And on top of all that, you're a great supporter of RoH in general. I feel very fortunate to have gotten to know you. :)

And now you're up, sucka!

Return to “Thoughts at Large”