Talon of Redwin Dates

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Lirssa Sarengrave
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Lirssa Sarengrave »

I rather like the idea of having tournaments midweek. I work six days a week sometimes, but you know what midweek tournaments mean to me? I've got RP I know is going to happen, and no matter if I win or lose, there's gonna be fun RP. That's something to look forward to.

During IFL lots of people managed to get to duels midweek. If I were to vote, I'd go with a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday night.

I understand how this makes it challenging to find a good start time because of the time zones issue. But wouldn't a 10 EST time be good? It's a little late-ish for the east coast and a little early-ish for the west coast, but it isn't to one extreme or the other.
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Post by Andrea Anderson »

Lirssa Sarengrave wrote:If I were to vote, I'd go with a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday night.
I'm confused. Will you be participating in the tournament if it were set on a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday - or are you suggesting the idea?
Lirssa Sarengrave wrote:I understand how this makes it challenging to find a good start time because of the time zones issue. But wouldn't a 10 EST time be good? It's a little late-ish for the east coast and a little early-ish for the west coast, but it isn't to one extreme or the other.
Depending on tournament size. Tournaments can last from 3 to 4 hours depending on the speed of duelists and brackets. A 10 PM EST Start time might be good for those on the west coast, but could stretch time for CT and EST easily; even moreso if a tournament were set on a weekday. Unless tournaments were all set to be single-elimination with a 5 minute limit between each rounds, which would make - at a max - 75 minutes per fight if they went 15 rounds each. There are usually 3 to 4 bracket set of fights per tournament during single elimination, so even then the numbers might be pushing it to at least 2 hours+.

Edit: I don't personally see an issue with Friday since it bridges into the weekend.
Last edited by Andrea Anderson on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DUEL Rayvinn
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Rayvinn »

While I will go with the majority on the date, I am imposing that the start time be no later than 8:30pm since these generally run for 3-4 hours
Lirssa Sarengrave
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Lirssa Sarengrave »

Apple wrote:
Lirssa Sarengrave wrote:If I were to vote, I'd go with a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday night.
I'm confused. Will you be participating in the tournament if it were set on a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday - or are you suggesting the idea?

I'd like to participate someday, and midweek opens up RP time. Unfortunately, the necessary start time -- and I do understand why it is necessary -- is in the middle of when I'm typically getting my children ready for bed. So, in hindsight, my opinion is rendered moot. :)
DUEL Rayvinn
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Rayvinn »

Lirssa Sarengrave wrote: I'd like to participate someday, and midweek opens up RP time. Unfortunately, the necessary start time -- and I do understand why it is necessary -- is in the middle of when I'm typically getting my children ready for bed. So, in hindsight, my opinion is rendered moot. :)
It isn't rendered moot overall, please don't think that. Opinions are welcomed, always, just in this thread I'm trying to get a vote from the participants. You can feel free to PM me (or start a secondary thread) with ideas of ways we can help make some of this work for you personally. While I will always take the majority vote, it doesn't mean I don't sympathize, or want to help, with the minority voters' needs.
Zack Alcar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Zack Alcar »

Any day of the week is fine with me, and anytime starting around 8:30 Est works for me. I know that the Talon has generally been held on the weekends, it would be interesting if it were to be held sometime during the weekdays.

Not to mention that I did like the whole jousting event that was held before with it. Was something different and was fun to take part.
BardGallant
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Hero of Dragon's Gate

Post by BardGallant »

DUEL Rayvinn wrote:The ToR could be held 2/21 or 2/28 and the WLT on 3/6 or 3/13 to kick off Madness.

Does this "extension" help anyone?
I like this idea best, mostly because of the "kick off Madness" part of it. I enjoy events that kick off other events. I think we did something similar last year to encourage participation in Madness. Dris participated just to encourage more participation, and will probably do it again.

Also: On a personal level, these dates work better for me. I don't give a crap about the football, but my youngest's birthday is the week of the Superbowl and I will be busy celebrating her coming into the world on both the 3rd (her actual birthday) and the 6th (party time!).

Additionally, I side with Lirssa. 8:00 pm EST is too early a start time for me. That's when I'm fighting with the children to get them in bed here too. 9:00 or later works out. I wouldn't mind a Thursday myself, actually. I like the idea of doing it on Swords Day, as a reminder that DoS Thursdays are a thing. I'm up until 3:00 am most of the time anyway.

I know I am only one person, but as someone who would be willing to participate in the Talon of Redwin.... Yes to any day of the week. Prefer the later dates suggested. Please no earlier than 9:00 pm start time.
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

I would say pick a day that can have moderate attendance for play and dueling and a day that you know can be staffed. The previous talons have all been fun either to duel or simply play with so as long as people have a heads up I'm sure they'll do their best to show up.

Edit: I'm forever alone- I wouldn't mind a talon on Valentines Day.
Canaan
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Canaan »

Since we're voting, I'm cool with anything except the week of the Superbowl. I'm going to be out of state. Specifically at a birthday party for a certain someone's youngest child. So. Anything but that, pretty please.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Queen wrote:
Edit: I'm forever alone- I wouldn't mind a talon on Valentines Day.
It isn't quite the subject of this thread, but Valentine's Day could be a good time to hold the ToR because there's a built in theme, be it Valentine's Day, Anti-Valentine's Day or a mix or the two.

I like this timeframe best:
The ToR could be held 2/21 or 2/28 and the WLT on 3/6 or 3/13 to kick off Madness.

No matter what dates/times are chosen, there will always be people that have a conflict especially taking into consideration that we have several time zones involved (6 possibles in the US alone!).
Rena A Cronin
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Rena A Cronin »

It would be nice to have a tournament during the week...seems of late my work schedule includes the weekend and usually the night shift.

Just my nickel's worth.
DUEL Rayvinn
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Rayvinn »

We're going to tally up votes tomorrow evening so you've got until then to cast yours if you are entering the Talon. Thanks!
DUEL Rayvinn
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Rayvinn »

Some want weeknights. Some weekends. Some later start times. Some V-Day or Anti-Vday.

So this is what I have come up with to try to find a balance with what everyone wanted.

How about Friday, 2/12 at 9:30 pm for Talon and Saturday, 2/27 9:30pm for WLT.

These dates are avoiding DoF events, superbowl, V-day events on RDI or IRL (hopefully), Fashion week kickoff on the 28th and makes one of the tournaments on a weeknight and both with later start times. I can't see how I can accommodate more people than with this set of dates. If anyone else needs me to schedule around yet another obstacle...sorry, too late. :D

So, Talon on 2/12 or 2/21? These are the dates I have narrowed down. If 2/21 the time will be 8:30-9:00 pm EST.

The debate on alternate times and dates is closed and this is what remains so just state 2/12 or 2/21 whichever you prefer, please.

Thank you :)
G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Ric Flair

Location: Generally found at the Golden Ivy Tavern. If not there, then on the SpellJammer, his ship.

Post by G »

2/12
G'nort Dragoon-Talanador
Duel of Swords Legend. Best In The World™.
First All Time DoS Title Holder.
Listed as "Daddy" in your daughters contacts list.
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Post by Andrea Anderson »

2/12 imo

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”