2016 Post-Season Discussion Thread

The Second Best Dueling Event of the Year!
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

2016 Post-Season Discussion Thread

Post by Hope »

I figure enough time has passed to make one of these. I'd like to thank everyone involved in Hydra this year for their commitments across the board for making it a fun and exciting event. Part of me has been debating whether or not to make this because it's been about a month but I do think there's still merit to it.

I don't want to write a wall of text so I'm going to summarize my thoughts in some lists:

Pros:

+ I was on a great team with fun players and we all enjoyed collaborating with each other and the others teams
+ Each team was respectful of one another in character and out of character and there were relatively few to no disputes across the board
+ The new format really helped cut down on burnout and by the end I felt that it was much better than some previous versions in the past
+ As the only tri-sport event currently it is a blast to get to scheme and prepare against other teams each week and I feel it's definitely a unique part of the Hydra puzzle which makes it a blast.
+ Volunteers really stepped up between callers and Kalamere to help make sure it ran super smooth

Cons:
- There was a palpable air of apathy from Sylus that really took the wind out of the sails this year. Numerous questions were asked in some important matters throughout the season that involved teams that were in the running to be in the playoffs that went utterly unanswered by Sylus.
- There was no schedule for the Finals this year and the players involved had to create it ourselves after waiting a week since this post where I publicly asked him if there would be guidelines.
- After the Finals there was zero acknowledgement from Sylus about the outcome in any format; post, headlines or any sign of thanks to the players and callers for participating in it and help running it.

----------

With these cons laid out as they are I'm not saying someone should be blasted for running an event and having life take them by the reins. Role Play comes second to life- we can all agree on that. To me it didn't feel like that scenario though, it felt like an utter abandonment of the event from the person running it. The last thing we need to do is care less. Win, lose- these things don't matter when it comes to having fun together. It's a lot harder to have fun when the person in charge is lethargic and unresponsive and that's a first for Hydra this year. I'm sure life had something to do with it, maybe new responsibilities did as well but even a post like "hey I have to be a little hands off due to x, y and z" would have gone a lot farther with me at least instead of just silence. For me, this is a big factor, and I don't think I'll be participating in Hydra again. I want team events to be something we can all enjoy but I desperately feel that the energy needed has to come from everywhere, not just those participating. Thanks again to everyone who called, dueled and just came out to cheer on those that did.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

In the past, Hydra has had some road bumps, organizational problems, and rule problems.

Some may ask why I would continue to do it if I felt that way. To the best of my ability, I like to support community endeavors. Sometimes that means coming to duel during a shift that's a little quiet to show support to our callers. Sometimes that means joining a tournament (like Hydra) whether I'm enthusiastic about it or not because I appreciate that it takes time and effort to put tournaments together and I personally like to show my appreciate through participation when I can (although there are other ways to show appreciation that are equally valid).

That said, I don't think I will be doing Hydra again. I like that all the sports are involved. I like that it happens during regulation dueling. But the organizational problems so far outweigh what I enjoy about it that I feel like my time and energy are better spent elsewhere in the community.
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Re: 2016 Post-Season Discussion Thread

Post by Andrea Anderson »

Queen wrote:Cons:
- There was a palpable air of apathy from Sylus that really took the wind out of the sails this year. Numerous questions were asked in some important matters throughout the season that involved teams that were in the running to be in the playoffs that went utterly unanswered by Sylus.
- There was no schedule for the Finals this year and the players involved had to create it ourselves after waiting a week since this post where I publicly asked him if there would be guidelines.
- After the Finals there was zero acknowledgement from Sylus about the outcome in any format; post, headlines or any sign of thanks to the players and callers for participating in it and help running it.
Pretty much what I was waiting to point out but the discussion was never made. While it's a moot point now due to scoring differences, the Royal Pain vs Misfits week wasn't handled well at all considering that "tie-breakers" that were far, far, far from what was posted in the official rules were used. Then when brought up not even an official post from Sylus was made. Kalamere helped where he could, but he wasn't running the tournament and it shouldn't have been on his shoulders to pick up pieces.

All and all I'm personally glad I didn't join this year because all of what I watched from the outside looking in was a headache waiting to happen. Then again after my teams were bitten so many times in past Hydra's due to rule-issues and other mid/end-tournament introductions it was easy to shy away from it this time.
Eden Parker
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Eden Parker »

I agree with everything Hope pointed out about the pros of Hydra this year. There was a lot of great participation, including a brand new team and some duelers/characters that were first-timers to Hydra. As the only all-sport team tournament, Hydra strategy is fun and different, and I've enjoyed the two years I've taken part in it.

That said, I have already shared my disappointment privately with Sylus over the lack of leadership in the tail end of the season. Among my concerns were:

- Failure to respond to important rules questions and respond to posts;
- Failure to organize playoffs/finals;
- No individual tournament unlike the prior season;
- No post either IC or OOC wrapping up the season, including announcing the winners, recognizing individual performances of note on all teams, thanking the participants (including many first-timers), thanking Kal for his hard work, and thanking the callers; and
- Basically nothing from Hydra leadership to promote Hydra since the first Town Crier posts about registration.

Like Hope, I completely understand how real life can suddenly and unexpectedly require all of your attention. As a community, we can step up and help each other out when something like that happens. But we can't read someone's mind. If help is needed, it has to be asked for. We have to be willing to recognize in ourselves when we've taken on too much and to ask for help. I hope that's a lesson we can take away from this season of Hydra.

Participating in a tournament is a commitment, whether you're running it or just joining a team. I felt very let down this season.

As much as I enjoy Hydra, I will not be participating in it in the future, unless there is a change of leadership, or any reason to trust that my disappointment will not be repeated.
Eden Parker
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Eden Parker »

Sylus Kurgen wrote:I know that I've been silent, practically absent for a while now. Actually at the cost of my own tournament, which is my mistake. In trying to be more hands-off, I became negligent. But that's not what I'm posting about.
I'm putting this comment where I think it actually belongs. I'm quoting from here.

At a certain point, an apology, or even just a response of any kind would have been appropriate and might have mitigated some of the harm done. Instead, as you say, you were silent.

Thank you for finally acknowledging publicly that something went amiss here.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

I'd just like to say that I cannot honestly believe that you are now seriously trying to play this debacle of a tournament and your complete lack of presence/response/anything off as you "trying to be more hands-off".

It's actually pretty insulting. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions instead of making excuses that no one believes anyway.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

JewellRavenlock wrote:I'd just like to say that I cannot honestly believe that you are now seriously trying to play this debacle of a tournament and your complete lack of presence/response/anything off as you "trying to be more hands-off".

It's actually pretty insulting. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions instead of making excuses that no one believes anyway.
Believe what you will, that's your right. I've spoken without hesitation to those that sought me out for an explanation as to what happened towards the end of the tournament. A ball was dropped, and I've taken the blame for it. Hydra is dead.

That's my fault. No coming back from it.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~
Andu Kirost
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Andu Kirost »

Hydra dead?!?!?

NOOO!!!!

Say it ain't so!!

I "Loved" Hydra this year, despite the problems, conflicts, and headaches! The misfits were just getting the kinks worked out! Well, They will still be around, I guess "we" will just have to find another way for a "Corporate Sponsor" to participate in the duels..... But if I see a post for Hydra registration... I'm gonna be on that like Icer on a ginger cake!
Andu Kirost. RTS founder and manager.
DemiBob
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by DemiBob »

There are other team tournaments, Andu.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

DemiBob wrote:There are other team tournaments, Andu.
I cannot speak for anything else, but IFL will return this time next year.

Return to “The Hydra's Den”