Underwood

Seek the places where light meets dark, there you will find tales of inexplicably intertwined realms both near and far.

Moderators: King, Claire Gallows, Cooper Gallows

Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Underwood

Post by Claire Gallows »

May First

“We can have Caelum Manor listed by the end of the week. In its condition, it will assuredly go for a pretty penny. Are you sure you wish to split the guest house from the rest of the property? Its inclusion will assuredly add another several hundred thousand to the value.” Dubream Blackhorn sat across the polished cafe table, looking over his bifocals at her. Monday mornings were not her thing, but brunch definitely was, even if it meant talking business.

“I’d like to keep it for sentimental reasons. It’s right across the lake from Serah and there’s a lot of good memories in it. I’m willing to sacrifice a couple hundy-thou for the sake of that.” Crunch, Claire bit into an apple slice dipped in creamy peanut butter. She chewed thoughtfully for a moment and then washed it down with a mouthful of strawberry milk. “So, what’re we looking at today?”

“Very well. I’ve got three listings in New Haven, one in Seaside, and one in Battlefield Park. I figure we can start with Seaside and work our way east.” The well dressed dwarf laid out the plan and set Claire nodding. It made sense. The trendy bistro sat at the south edge of Seaside already. If she listened carefully, she could hear the beating of the sea against the shore.

“Works for me… there’s no rush on this really. We’ll have to likely wait to close until the manor sells. How’s the market?” While Claire didn’t have nearly as sharp of a business mind as her deceased husband had, she knew that real estate was the best investment one could make. It had led to more than a handful of a holdings throughout the city. The Sassy Owl Saloon, Hangman Distillery, Dragon’s Gate Orphanage, Farron-Queen Youth Centre, why not another?

“Have you decided what to do in regards to the gym? I can’t see a potential buyer needing that space…” Dubream nipped at his toast and regarded her across the table’s spread once more.

“Still working on that… it’d only make sense to set back up in town. No need to go way out there if I’m not living close to onsite.” Claire finished her breakfast and nudged the plate away.

“I’ll add that to my list of things to look into further for you then.” The dwarf nodded and followed the lady’s lead, setting his fork down and leaning back in his seat. Conveniently timed, Claire’s phone went off. Half expecting it to be Cooper with the kids, she snagged it and punched the talk button.

“‘Lo?” She said with a hiccup. One hand pressed to the side of her swelling stomach with a grimace.

“Light, it’s Gio. Where’re you at?” He asked. There was annoyance in his tone. Claire sighed, this wasn’t going to be good.

“At brunch with Dubream, some hipster place in Seaside. What’s up?” The lift of two fingers signaled to their server that she was ready for the check.

“Dragon’s Gate was vandalized in the rioting last night.” He answered. Claire’s mouth went dry.

“Crap. Are all of the kids okay?” Came the follow up.

“Oh… not the orphanage. Rioters couldn’t get within fifty feet of the children’s home. I mean your baronial manor. Shattered windows, graffiti, trash. Someone started a fire but the sprinklers put it out.” Gio responded. While it was a slight relief that DGO hadn’t taken the hit, she couldn’t help but squirm in her seat. The riots and protests in February were still fresh in her mind, having driven her and her family from the city in search of peace elsewhere.

“I haven’t been there in awhile…” She said almost guiltily.

“I know, you’ve had a lot going on. But I’d like to get with you here in a bit to sate the press. Do you have time in about an hour?” He asked.

“I was supposed to be looking at houses with Dubream but…” Claire trailed off, the weight of the gold ring on a chain around her neck feeling much heavier than before. “Putting that off for a bit will allow Cooper and the kids to meet up with us later anyways. Where do you need me?”

“Let’s meet at DGO and then we can walk over to the manor from there.” Gio said, the tension slowly leaving his words little by little.

“Yeah… I’ll be there in thirty.” They traded goodbyes and Claire hung up with a sigh. An apologetic look lifted to meet Dubream, who had been nothing but quiet and patient as she conducted her call. “Can you forward the addresses to my phone and I’ll meet you at the first one in about an hour and a half? My baronial manor got caught up in the rioting last night, Gio needs me to say a few words to the press.”

“It’s no worry, Lady Farron. I’ll send those now. While I’m at it, are you sure you don’t want me looking for something for you in Dragon’s Gate district?” Dubream asked with a wry smile. Claire snorted.

“Yeah, I’ll pass. Thanks for understanding, I’ll see you in a bit.”
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

May First -- Continued

It was a hastily constructed podium at which Claire stood, looking more than annoyed against a backdrop of shattered windows and crude graffiti scrawled over the outer facade of the Dragon’s Gate Baronial Manor. The Baron of Dragon’s Gate was dressed in grey and denim, the former a half sleeved wrapped shirt with a conservative neckline. The growing bump underneath was becoming more prominent, near impossible to hide at this point. Perhaps that accounted for some of her grumpy disposition. A single microphone was set up on the podium, angled just enough that she wouldn’t have to lean far to speak into it.

“I’m supposed to thank you all for coming but honestly, it shouldn’t be necessary. You’re all looking for the scoop on what happened and I don’t really have answers. From the looks of it, a whole lot of sore losers don’t know how to accept when their person doesn’t win.” Much to Gio’s dismay, she went off script from the get go, staring down the cameras with the sort of judgey admonishment that only moms seemed to be capable of. “I hope you’re proud of yourselves. This behind me is just the start of the damage you dickwads caused. It’s like Hurricane Stupid cut a path from here to the river and now we’re left to clean up your mess. Didn’t your mothers teach you better than that?”

Claire shook her head and continued. “I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m sick of everyone resorting to violence and property damage the moment they don’t get their way. It’s old. It’s stupid. And the next time it happens, there’ll be hell to pay. Say what you want about the barons and their lacking power in their districts, but what we do have is influence. Going forward, Dragon’s Gate needn’t worry about shit like this happening again because anyone who pulls this sort of moronic crap will get to deal with me. You wanna cry when you don’t get your way and wreck stuff like a bunch of toddlers, I’ll treat you like children. Shame on all of you.”

To the side of the podium, Giovanni Diamante was staring at her almost aghast. Where was she going with all of it? That question was soon answered. “For those businesses and homeowners impacted by these douchecanoes, I encourage you to contact the Team Dirty home office at your earliest convenience. The Caelum Enterprises Rhydin enforcement division will be tasked with helping you recover from this. Additionally, we will be funding additional Watch presence in Dragon’s Gate in conjunction with the CER enforcement group. Any wishing for additional patrols in their neighborhood is welcome to contact CER or your nearest Watch precinct for more information. Thank you.”

As soon as she paused to indicate she was done, a slew of hands went up, calls from the gathered press members shouting over one another to try and be the first to ask their question. Claire sighed.

“Baroness! Baroness! Over here!”

“I’m not answering questions. This whole thing is a load of ****ing bull**** and I’ve got better things to do than clean up after a bunch of babies. I’ve said what I’ve got to say. Anyone still here in the next five minutes will be given a broom or a sponge and will be put to work.” She stepped back from the podium and watched as the crowd began to clear out. Gio sighed and stepped up to her side. She glanced over and smiled. “That went well I think.”

“...If that’s what you want to call it.”
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

May First -- Continued

Graffiti and broken glass were a memory, the Dragon’s Gate manor would be fixed, cleaned, and polished to a shine before the sun set on Rhydin. In the meantime, Claire had returned to Seaside to meet Dubream. Cooper and the wonder twins had met up with them midway through the first showing. It had been a pleasant beachside two-story with rustic stairs that led down the rocky incline to the shore below. It fit their needs, had all of the modern amenities, and even had a little bit of wiggle room in which to grow. That said, it didn’t feel like a home. Already Rose Cottage more than served the purpose of beach retreat. Claire couldn’t see why they needed a second. Dubream, well versed in his client’s eclectic pickiness, had accepted her rejection of the property and moved on to the next.

The next had been on the edge of Battlefield Park, a cabin reminiscent of the guest home that Claire still intended to keep even after selling Caelum Manor. It was old, a little outdated, but moreover, it was a little creepy. Surrounded by dense foliage and rather far from the nearest neighbor, the pink haired woman could only hope to move on sooner rather than later. It brought them to New Haven, a fact both she and Cooper had almost foretold, but even there it felt like they may strike out.

The first was much too big and its backyard set caddy corner from the edge of Active Guard gym, a fact that set a melancholy tone to the rest of the showing for Claire. The second was approximately the size they were looking for, a mid-century brownstone with gorgeous original woodwork, but it had no yard. No yard, Claire said, was a dealbreaker. So they went to the final listing, skeptical at best. At the end of a heavily shaded lane, it was as far north as you can get and still be within New Haven’s boundary and according to Dubream, it backed right up to the waterfront. Surrounded by lush landscaping in full springtime bloom and a high stone wall, the only sliver visible from the street was through the thick wrought iron gate.

“It’s move in ready, but it’s a little on the big side compared to what you’re wanting.” Dubream said hesitantly as they pushed through the gate. It groaned from disuse but ultimately allowed their entry, staying open after they made it through instead of clanging shut.

“What are we talking for big?” Claire asked, adjusting Averia from one hip to the other. The house before them was large but not outlandishly so. It fit in well with the other gated manors of the district. The landscaping was well kept, mature and green, and the slope leading up to the front door was a gentle hill accented by rose bushes and a brick lined path.

“Six bedrooms, thirty-five hundred square feet.” The dwarf answered as he unlocked the front door and swung it open for their entry. Claire exchanged a brief look with the cowboy coming in behind her and turned back to Dubream with a wry smile.

“That’s massive.” She deadpanned. On first impression, the entryway of the home was elegantly understated. The grand staircase was more of a baby-grand and the wallpaper needed updating, if not to come down completely. But it was pretty just the same. The realtor chuckled and went from room to room to turn on lights.

“Compared to the twenty-k in space you’re giving up, I know. Still, it’s on the larger side of those we’ve looked at.” Dubream said as he came back into the entryway. “It’s classically styled after nineteen-twenties American,-- that’s Earth,-- architecture. My data sheet says that it may have shown up here directly from Earth itself, but who knows how accurate that is. The backside is a little less formal but it’s got a wonderful terraced garden and a fountain that runs down the hillside. The shoreline’s private and the neighbors are quiet.”

They spent the next twenty minutes exploring most of the nooks and crannies of the estate. It held Claire’s attention far longer than any of the prior properties had and when all was said and done, they gathered in the entryway once more; the warrior, the cowboy, their patchwork family, and the real estate agent looking to bring them home to the city. Dubream rocked on his toes and gave her a hopeful look.

“Well, what do you think of it?” He asked.

“It’s a house…” Claire answered.

“But is it a home?” The dwarf countered. Claire exchanged a look with the gurahl, her brows lifting slightly with a non-verbal question. When she looked back to Dubream, it was with the quivering beginning of a smile.

“It might be.”
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Re: Underwood

Post by Claire Gallows »

June Twelfth

“It’ll be weird, but a good sort of weird.” Fresh from Virginia and back to business after a week and a half off, Claire leaned in the doorway of Caelum Manor’s gatehouse. The young man tending the post was doing his best not to look too distraught over the SOLD sign at the property’s edge.

“I just didn’t expect it to sell so fast…” Alston mumbled with a sheepish shrug. At twenty, he had worked for the Caelums all of his adult life. With Lucis in shambles, the fear of losing his job and being sent home was real. Claire could practically feel his apprehension.

“We priced it right. But that’s okay. It just means we can close on the place in New Haven sooner. While we won’t necessarily have a gatehouse, that doesn’t mean you won’t be needed any longer.” Her smile was meant to be reassuring even if the little boy in her stomach was sitting on her bladder and making her desperately need to pee.

“Are you sure?” He asked hesitantly. Claire chuckled and gave him a nod.

“I promise. This move is a good thing. It’ll bring us all closer to the city and cut down on a lot of the back and forth between there and here. Nobody is losing their job unless they decide to leave on their own.” She reached for his shoulder to give him a quick squeeze.

“Okay… I, uh, just wanted you to know I’ve enjoyed working for you and your family. With everything that’s happened… you know, with His Highness…” Alston trailed off with another little shrug.

“I know. It’s been a pleasure having you with us too. It’s just time to move on from this place, ya know? But no man’s left behind and you’ve always got a place with us. I promise.” Her stomach was squirming though she wasn’t sure if that was the baby or her own discomfort. She glanced over her shoulder at the idling Jeep in driveway. “But I oughta get moving. We’ve got some inspections on the new place here this afternoon. If you need anything during the transition, you’ll let Gio or myself know, right?”

“Yes ma’am!” He snapped a salute that she returned with a casual swing of her arm before gifting the young man another smile as she stepped out of the gatehouse to head around to the passenger side of the Jeep. Tugging the door open, she climbed up and in, buckling up and glancing into the backseat at the bickering toddlers. At her side, Cooper shifted the Wrangler into drive and together they rumbled out of the drive and back onto the winding road that would take them first to the highway and then back to the city from there.

“Go alright?” He asked, low despite the din in the backseat. Claire’s teeth worried at her bottom lip but she nodded just the same.

“It’s gonna be a change. But change is good.”

Return to “Through the Never”