Passing Torches.

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

DUEL Sylus
RoH Official
RoH Official

Passing Torches.

Post by DUEL Sylus »

This is neither easy to write, nor something I thought would come so soon.

Kalamere and I have had our differences, but in one thing we agree completely. RoH and everything we do here is a hobby. As such it falls in the priority line underneath Family, Work, and School. Those three should always come first and foremost. It's been stated in other threads that Kalamere, Sabine, and now myself have been getting increasing responsibilities in our off-line lives. It has gotten to the point that Sabine formally stepped down as Standings Keeper around November. Kalamere continued making sure standings were updated as best he could.

Outside of Sundays, I have been largely a non-presence on RoH. This last challenge where Kalamere had to validate himself was a final wake up call that it's gotten to where I need to step down. With that, Kalamere has expressed his desire to step down as well.

To be clear, we are not just leaving and abandoning these roles. We are going to accept bids for Coordinator. We both agree that with Madness coming up, this will be a shot in the arm that RoH gravely needs. With a new year, and new leadership taking over one of RoH's most valued events, this will give the new Coordinator the chance to shine and show their leadership skills.

A Coordinator has to be able to ...coordinate. With you, the community members, and other staff. The job isn't easy. Talk with anyone who's held the position in the past and they will tell you that, even current members more than likely will. It's a Marathon job, not a sprint. Being a Coordinator means being under a microscope. There will always be those that criticize decisions made, make a person doubt their own sanity.

I don't write this to dissuade any from speaking out their desire to take on the role. I don't want there to be any illusions. The next Coordinator is the final Word on the Sport's direction and rulings.

This is a subject that’s been sat on collectively by the DoS Team for some time now as we’ve tried to evaluate the best course of action. Ultimately, a public posting felt best.

The job descriptions of both roles are as follows

Coordinator/Assistant Coordinator:
Validates challenges
Monitors challenge time-frame limits
Updates Standings
Upholds all DoS rules and Precedents, but is open to discuss alternatives when change is required.
Aids Standings Keeper in cycle transition filing.
Helps keep Histories up to date.
Calls Challenges if required
Hosts DoS tournaments such as WLT, Talon, March Madness, and specialty tournaments.
Creates yearly calendar of events and coordinates with other leadership to reduce overlap.

Standings Keeper:
Updates Standings Weekly
Tracks Win-over-Loss records for standings accuracy.
Updates Inactive Duelist List.
Can validate challenges
Assists Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator in rules discussions and precedent changes.

There is more than what's listed here, but these are the core duties. I look forward to going over applications with Kalamere. I reiterate, writing this wasn't an easy thing to come to terms with needing to do.
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

Asking for anyone who may be interested, is there a time window for applications? Should they be posted here or PMed?
DUEL Sylus
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Sylus »

Please send inquiries through Private messaging. Ideally we want to have the new coordinator up to speed before Madness is in full swing. The application window is open, with Madness posts set to roll out the 2nd week of February. If it's a hard date being looked for, February 5th.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

There will be challenges to being Coord. That's true of any leadership position. There are also some highly satisfying and rewarding moments though and a lot that can be accomplished for the common good.

If you (whoever you are) have an interest in taking this on and trying to make a positive impact to the game and/or the community, then let Sylus know - or if you have hesitations and want to talk them out before tossing your name in the ring, then I'm more than happy to talk through them with you. Feel free to reach out any time.

Turn over in leadership can be hard, but I'm a little excited to see what happens next. Sylus and I haven't done much to drive interest and that's on us. The next coord will have a clean slate and with the right person, maybe even a little bit of passion, DoS could move to a much better place.
Cassius Gaius Maximius
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Gentleman Farmer

Post by Cassius Gaius Maximius »

Are you and Kal still going to be around as players?
DUEL Sylus
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Sylus »

Cassius Gaius Maximius wrote:Are you and Kal still going to be around as players?
For myself, I will still try to be around in that capacity.

With the death of AIM, I've taken to both Trillian and Discord and keep public lines of communication open on both. SN's given out upon request at my discretion for privacy as they're direct lines.
DUEL Sylus
RoH Official
RoH Official

Post by DUEL Sylus »

There've been a handful of responses. Kalamere and myself are seriously looking at the candidates and what each one brings to the table. I'm also looking at their ability to be Committed, Consistent, and Even-handed in how they communicate during discussions.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

With the 5th upon us and Madness fast approaching, do you know when we can expect an announcement for who is taking over?
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Claire Farron wrote:With the 5th upon us and Madness fast approaching, do you know when we can expect an announcement for who is taking over?
Bumping this since it's now the 8th and per the calendar Sylus just put up, Madness registration was supposed to start today.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

I can't give you the timeline unfortunately. Application closed on the 5th, but now we move forward and I'm not entirely clear on the process.

That said - I've advised we should table Madness. Not cancel it or anything, but I've been hoping all along that the new Coord will have Madness to run as they see fit and more or less use it to introduce themselves into the role. As such I'm really hoping we ignore any historical timelines on that event. Honestly, aside from the desire to stay in time with the NCAA Basketball Tourney from which it takes its name, there is really no reason it cannot be moved around. Doing so for a year while our new coord gets their feet under them won't hurt anything and I think would be a good way to go.

As for the Talon and WLT though; those I think we need to stand by given the cyclical nature of tournaments and the timeline type stuff that is built into the rules around them. I think we need to keep those on the calendar.

Sorry, I'd love to give you more of an update on the process and when a new Coordinator will be installed, but I believe some of that is still being worked out.

~Kal
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Post by Claire Gallows »

Kalamere wrote:I can't give you the timeline unfortunately. Application closed on the 5th, but now we move forward and I'm not entirely clear on the process.

That said - I've advised we should table Madness. Not cancel it or anything, but I've been hoping all along that the new Coord will have Madness to run as they see fit and more or less use it to introduce themselves into the role. As such I'm really hoping we ignore any historical timelines on that event. Honestly, aside from the desire to stay in time with the NCAA Basketball Tourney from which it takes its name, there is really no reason it cannot be moved around. Doing so for a year while our new coord gets their feet under them won't hurt anything and I think would be a good way to go.

As for the Talon and WLT though; those I think we need to stand by given the cyclical nature of tournaments and the timeline type stuff that is built into the rules around them. I think we need to keep those on the calendar.

Sorry, I'd love to give you more of an update on the process and when a new Coordinator will be installed, but I believe some of that is still being worked out.

~Kal
I appreciate the answer!
Anubis Karos
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Anubis Karos »

I prefer Madness take place on an annual basis in it's regular time, but I think that this year, postponement may be a good idea.

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”