Out of Character message board for the Duel of Fists

Moderator: Staff

Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Outback Setting Question - Wards

Post by Mairead Harker »

A question came up in the Green Room, a while back, regarding whether or not the rings in the Outback have wards.

The following is in the main DoF documentation which supports no wards being present:

https://rhydin.org/dof/
Duel of Fists is RhyDin’s premiere unarmed combat sport, and the only duel not protected by healing wards: the bruises, black eyes, and bloody noses earned in the ring are worn like badges of honor by these brave fighters.

https://rhydin.org/settings/outback.php
This is the Outback. Step inside, tape up your hands, and pop in a mouthguard. Here, there are no wards. Here, we rule by our fists.

A suggestion had been made that since Swords and Magic duels have been taking place in the Outback that it's a matter of player choice whether or not the ring their character is dueling in is warded.

I have always played it as Outback rings being unwarded, no matter the sport, as that's what I was taught and what's in the documents. I have always tried to be respectful of any given setting and I'm curious to know what the DoF staff has to say on this. Thanks!
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Re: Outback Setting Question - Wards

Post by Kalamere »

My assumption has been that DoF matches never have wards and DoS matches always have wards, regardless of venue. That's just my assumption though, so prolly want to hear from Matt or the other folks running the show.
Helea Alwin
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady in Wight

Post by Helea Alwin »

If I had to guess magic rings in the least would have wards, as if I recall correctly the core magic spells that can be done within the sport are infused into the wards themselves, allowing players to use magic if they would be unable to.

Though it could very well be different! Since I recall there's a magical item rack of sorts in the Outback?
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Hi everyone!

Kal's assumption is, in a nutshell, the explanation that the DoF staff considers pretty darn accurate.

If folks want to RP their characters as having Wards (or not) in the Outback for DoM/DoS matches, that's ok. We believe it's a player choice and as we've seen in the past even with DoS matches in the Arena, there're some characters played as if the Wards don't protect them. For a DoF fight, sorry, you're gonna get your nose bloody.

That being said, there have been methods taken to protect the Outback from past mishaps (i.e. it's not gonna burn down again) and from wayward spells blowing out walls, destroying the inside of the place, etc. Basic rules apply...just be respectful of the setting. If you wanna destroy something or have some in-setting consequence stemming from that misfiring Keeper spell, please chat with one of us on the DoF staff and we'll see what we can do :)

Thanks!

--Your DoF Staff
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet

Return to “Duel of Fists (OOC)”