The Ramblings of a Mad Scientist

A place for the stories that take place within Rhy'Din
Sibyl
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Ramblings of a Mad Scientist

Post by Sibyl »

7/13/2022 7:15 PM

The video log cut on to Sibyl's face filling most of the screen, a frown on her features, before she realized it was working. "Aha." She started to pull back, and for a brief moment, the scene lurched forward, like whatever recording was knocked forward. And by the muttered, "Ah shit.", it seemed like Sibyl was the cause. The screen was righted soon enough, and Sibyl finally pulled back so that she was visible from about the chest up.

The scientist looked like she was absolutely exhausted, both physically, and emotionally. Her eyes were puffy and red, like she had been crying for most of the day, hair frazzled and unbrushed. She looked like she was wearing hospital clothes. Most notably, her face was absent of her glasses. She looked younger somehow, and lost.

"Sorry. My hand's still numb. So I'm trying to kill everything." There's an awkward pause from the scientist, before she huffed a sigh. "So I guess I'm doing video journals now. At my therapist's requests. I get an hour of supervised time with my tablet in the evening every day to record." Sibyl's attention darted off screen towards something, most likely the nurse supervising.

"Someone got in contact with Prometheus and had him bring it. I think. I dunno." She shifted in her chair, and it creaked. "They want me to talk through my feelings. And record how I'm feeling mentally. So. I hate it here. But I just hate hospitals in general. Especially the mental wards. I've been through this before. My clothes are itchy." Her nose scrunched with that tidbit of information.

She leaned back, and tilted her head up towards the ceiling. "The drug combo they put me on has me feeling like I stuck my head in jello. I also feel like I'm gunna hurl. So that's great." She fell quiet for a long moment, mouth pursed. "So uh. I hate talking about this stuff." Pause. "I spent all day talking to my therapist about shit."

Suddenly, she straightened back up and looked at the camera. She looked vulnerable. "Sometimes I really wish I didn't have a broken brain. I'm tired. I just want to not feel like I'm losing my ever loving shit. I haven't been okay for a while now." She grew quiet, and soon enough a soft sniffle could be heard.

"I messed up. Even taking my meds, and doing the right things.... I guess they weren't working as well as I thought? Prometheus was gone for a week, and thanks to my stupid broken brain, I welcomed him back by stabbing him with the fucking scalpel he gifted me." She gave a bitter laugh, and brought her hands up to scrub at her face, like the video didn't catch the glisten of tears staining her cheeks. "I'm about ninety-five percent positive that he's the reason I was committed. Which, fair. I'd commit my best friend too if they welcomed me home by stabbing them."

"So. I mentioned how my hand was numb earlier. Apparently, Prometheus is the equivalent of a constant live wire. I stabbed him with metal. It was enough to leave me with a nasty lingering headache, occasional twitches, my glasses pretty much died, I'm sure, and my whole ass arm is numb, Often the pins and needles type. MMmmh. That's right." She leaned back and held her hand up to the frame of the video. It looked red, swollen, angry and blistered here and there up along her forearm too. "Kinda glad it's numb." Her cheeks puffed out a moment. "It's been a long week. I should probably talk about that as well, but it hurts too. I've really been missing Silo a lot. I still--" She paused, then clammed up, and shook her head violently.

'I'm not going to dwell on that right now. I dunno what else to talk about now. I miss Kel terribly. I want out of here so I can just go back to living my life." There's another sniffle, before she shifted forward. "I think I'm done for now. I'm tired and I don't want to talk anymore. I've done enough fucking talking today."

That said, her face filled the frame rather quickly as she lurched forward to stop the tablet from recording any thing else.

Click!
Prometheus
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Re: The Ramblings of a Mad Scientist

Post by Prometheus »

Before Prometheus had brought the tablet over, he had modified the technology, if ever so slightly, extending the battery life, and fixing the screen, the multiple scuffs from working with it around various things wanting to eat the little scientist fixed.

As well, he had recorded a message, and update...

The camera clicked on to the officer leaning back, an electronic work in progress sitting between him and the camera, "Heya Sibs, I figured you probably can't have company right now, so when they asked me to bring your tablet I messed with it a bit and decided to record you a message," Prom smiled warmly at the camera, before crossing one leg over the other, pushing what appeared to be electronic glasses and tools to the side, "First on all, the cats are fine, whiny but a can of tuna seems to appease our feline overlords."

As he spoke, Chicken Wing found his lap, "Hello Sir, I suppose you think my lap is your throne," There was no response save for a whack in the face with a tail and a flop on his lap, "Secondly, I know you feel like shit about stabbing me, I am fine, I told the doctors you stuck a knife in a light socket, not a great thing either way, but you will get out of the hospital faster for a breakdown than a prison for assault, as well as you clearly weren't ok when you shanked me," He scratched the top of the cats head absently for a moment as he thought, "They tell me you are doing better, though I would like to come to visit when allowed if you're ok with that? I miss my friend."

Prom sighed softly, "I... should tell you where I was, maybe I'll hack into your tablet and leave another message in a few days, if I can't just visit, love ya little Sis, call me if you need me... ok?" In a moment Prom leaned forward and the camera clicked off.
Sibyl
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Re: The Ramblings of a Mad Scientist

Post by Sibyl »

8/09/2022 11:56 PM

Sibyl's face filled the frame briefly, before she pulled back so that she was still in the frame from about the waist up. She looked like she was in her lab back home, and she looked pretty tired too. "Ah. So I Haven't done one of these in a hot minute. My therapist would probably be mad if she knew." A brief sheepish look crossed her face at that admission.

She took a moment to slump back in her chair, while a heavy sigh escaped. "A lot's happened, even if it really hasn't been too long." She went quiet, and looked at something off camera on her desk. "So.. Ah, Kel left. They said it's because they have a chance to save their friends...But...." She paused, words faltering for a moment. "They didn't even tell me in person. They just left a note for me at Pawfee Break, about a week ago."

There's a beat, and it's evident the hurt that was brought, just by the look on her face. "Like I wasn't even worth telling face to face." She sucked in a breath and looked down at her hands that were strangling the hemline of the cat sweater that she wore. "They wrote that they were leaving because they had a chance to save their friends, but a part of me half wonders if it's because they just couldn't.... Deal with my crazy." There's a soft mournful noise made in the back of her throat.

"I wouldn't be surprised. I ended up in the psych ward. No one really wants a crazy girlfriend. Or mentally ill one. It's more trouble than it's worth." Her words echoed ones that had been spoken to her long ago, by a woman she thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. "I'm mad. I'm sad. It hurts. I'm genuinely not surprised. I don't know what else to say. Everyone normally ends up leaving." This is spoken softly. "Kel said they wouldn't.... And then they did."

"Prom acts like he won't, but I'm terrified someday he'll get sick of my shit too. I'm surprised he's not already.... I'm kinda a shit friend." There's a shakey breath followed by a hiccup of a sound. Unbidden, and unexpected, tears spilled over and rolled down her cheeks. It hurt more than she wanted to admit. Aloud, or even to herself.

"I always end up alone. I thought I'd always have Silo. You're supposed to have your twin for forever, right? Then I thought It'd be Anni. Then I pushed her away. I broke her. Because it was easier than explaining why. Because of the stupid fucking Foundation. Because I was going to do great things, and help humanity, and keep people safe. Because I couldn't hold her down from her own dreams and ambitions."

"I don't want Prometheus to leave. Maybe that sounds stupid and pathetic, but he's become one of the most important people to come into my life. My best friend. My big brother. I adore and love him more than he'll probably ever know. He's helped me a lot this past week. Remembering meds, being a shoulder to cry on, a provider of cuddles and comfort when I'm feeling extremely lonely."

Sibyl sniffed, and took a moment to pull her glasses off and set them aside as she scrubbed at her face, trying to get rid of most of her tears. "I just don't want him to take off on me like everyone has. It's a little selfish. But in my years as a scientist for the foundation I couldn't make friends, forge relationships... and now I have. I forgot how much it stupidly complicates everything. Or how many stupid feelings come with it all. " She didn't put her glasses back on, and instead left them on her desk.

She fell quiet for a long moment. "I'm trying to be okay. It's hard, some days more than others. Even with therapy. And meds. And taking care of the things I have to." There's another pause. "Today's been one of those days, definitely." And with that, along with a heavy sigh, Sibyl leaned forward, and the frame jostled a touch as she switched off the phone.

Click!

Return to “The Streets of Rhy'Din (shared)”