Scariest movie you've ever seen?

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

Josette Wheeler
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Re: Scariest movie you've ever seen?

Post by Josette Wheeler »

Yes! Omg the ferry, thank you for reminding me! Spielberg is just an incredible storyteller with film and it really did feel like that sitting in the theater. You felt like you were right there in the chaos.

I actually had to stop watching the movie ‘The Abyss’ (1989) and then eventually came back to it later because it created such a visceral feeling of claustrophobia and not being able to breathe.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

I grew up on Hammer horror films and by today's standards those are very tame. It was often the actor's presence like Christopher Lee or Vincent Price in a film that could take things from meh to creepy.

Stephen Ring's "Rose Red" sent shivers up my spine the first time I saw it. "Something Wicked This Way Comes," based on a Ray Bradbury story is another that sent my brain twisting.
Josette Wheeler
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Josette Wheeler »

Vincent Price and Christopher Lee definitely have the kind of presence and voices that take the imagination to a whole other place. They could just do radio shows and be terrifying. I’ve loved Christopher Lee’s voice from a young age since he did King Haggard in ‘The Last Unicorn.’ Such an incredible cast of actors that voiced the animated characters for that movie.
Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Royal »

Another movie suggestion I'd have is Detention.

Detention is a game that was released in 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIK8YgcuIo

Wiki Quote:
Set in 1960s Taiwan of the White Terror period, students Wei and Ray find themselves trapped and vulnerable in Greenwood High School (翠華中學), which is located in a remote mountainous area. The place they once knew has changed in unsettling ways, haunted by evil creatures known as the "lingered" (魍魎). While hiding from the rampaging monsters, the protagonists unveil mysteries that slowly reveal the dark past of the cursed school.
If anyone likes side scrolling puzzle horror games this is one I would suggest to anyone and everyone. The game itself saw enough popularity for a movie to be made, along with a Netflix adaption.

I'll admit though I've not watched more than two episodes of the Netflix show but I have seen the movie. While I enjoyed the game a lot more, the movie itself did its best to tell the story.
Morgan LaLuna
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Captain

Post by Morgan LaLuna »

I will preface this by saying that I love horror. I will also admit that when I was younger, that was NOOOOOOOOT the case. I got freaked out by the cover for Jack Frost in blockbuster as a kid. Really wigged out about the thought of Freddy. Did not enjoy scary movies at ALL, despite my dad's love of them.

That said, I have to agree on a few I've seen mentioned.

The rats in the corn will always stick with me from The Stand. The way fingers bled playing guitar.
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers is also another. I lived on a military base at the time I saw it, and so it was doubly terrifying. That screech.

There are definitely more, but those will always stay with me. I haven't seen a ton of these, but I am absolutely writing a To Watch list based on this thread. Thank you all for your contribution! Hahaha
Anubis Karos
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Anubis Karos »

Freddy terrified me as a kid.
Nero Zhir
RoH Official
RoH Official
The Virtuoso

Post by Nero Zhir »

As someone who loves films there have been very few that left me legitimately bothered. Recently that would be Nope and an honorable mention is Annihilation. But the movie that really bothered me the most was probably The Blair Witch project. There weren't jump scares and there wasn't misleading audio or cues that would set you up for a big piano chord. It was just kids lost in the woods. And the worst thing about it were the implications of the ending. Another one that really followed the suit was V/H/S. Found footage when done right is just too much for me :cry:
Death Knell
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Death Knell »

V/H/S deals with some pretty problematic characters and actions. It doesn't disguise their nature at all, but it makes a choice in depicting them, so fair warning if you decide to delve into that one. But a lot of that anthology - and that whole series - chilled me to my core. Really scared the hell out of me.

The Descent was the start of my love affair with horror movies. This shouldn't give too much away; but it takes its sweet time with any monster reveals, and deals with the idea of the monster on a couple of levels that just added to my feelings of dread.
Maximus Shimmer-scale
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Maximus Shimmer-scale »

I wouldn't call it me being scared through the whole thing, but the only time it happened. I was watching Carrie when I was waaay younger. Mom managed to sneak up behind me at the end of the movie. Grabbed my shoulder right when Carrie's arm popped out of the grave. Otherwise.. Never been scared by any movie.
You just don't get it. There isn't a thing I don't cherish!

What we do in life echoes in eternity.
Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Royal »

We're in the month of Spooktober now! Any new or up and coming horror movies you're looking to watch?
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

Last night we watched Don’t Worry Darling, which is a thriller/horror, and oh my god what a mind frick. That film legitimately haunted my dreams. It’s on Netflix. Definitely recommend watching if you can.
Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Royal »

I'll have to check it out!

I watched Re/Member last night on Netflix and it was pretty good.
https://youtu.be/Y8yvXoyLPvM?si=GgXbM8-J6ev5tMZ9

Not to give too many spoilers but I will say it was tame compared to what most horror movies rely on now and honestly that was a good thing. Was an overall good time to watch.
Partly Cloudy
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Partly Cloudy »

I want to echo Sal's suggestion of Don't Worry, Darling. It's not a traditional horror film, but it's deeply unsettling at times and the reveal is pretty horrifying. Definitely a fun one.

The Black Phone was also pretty good and unsettling. As was The Pale Blue Eye.

A film I'm looking forward to watching is Sympathy For the Devil. I really dig psychological thrillers with a spooky edge, and this one has Nic Cage in it, so I've got to watch it, even if it's a train wreck, lol.
Partly Cloudy
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Partly Cloudy »

I thought of another new-ish film I’ve been wanting to see: Antlers. It looks like it should be pretty interesting, and maybe like it will rely on building a sense of dread, rather than gore.
Strawberry
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Queen of Air & Darkness

Post by Strawberry »

I've been watching The Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix lately and whewwwwwwwwwww lawd. Totally creepy mindf*ck based on Edgar Allan Poe's poems. Very gory though, so if that's not your jam, be careful. But it's fantastically executed. Pun intended.

Return to “Thoughts at Large”